PDA

View Full Version : Baculi Quits

AnthonyServinio
06-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Reports have it that on the eve of the opening of the 82nd NCAA season, Philippine Christian University Dolphins head coach Edmundo Baculi has resigned.

No replacement has been named.

LION
06-24-2006, 12:20 AM
^ I am not so sure but I think Coach Baculi is a Bedan. Could it be that he wants to end 28 at 82 that is why he resigned?

J.B.
06-24-2006, 12:39 AM
huh? db tga-mapua cia? not sure...?

Kid Cubao
06-24-2006, 10:53 AM
he's a member of the famed 4 horsemen of mapua in the late 70s to early 80s. the other "horsemen" include leo isaac, bong ramos, and joel banal. heto lang, what's with these NCAA coaches who abandon their teams just when the NCAA is about to begin? first there's cris calilan of JRU, now junel. hmmmm...

LION
06-24-2006, 12:20 PM
^Thanks for the correction Kid.

full battle gear
06-24-2006, 02:05 PM
PCU coach resigns on eve of NCAA tourney
www.mb.com.ph
by: Kristel Satumbaga

Philippine Christian Universityís NCAA campaign suffered a major reversal yesterday when the school announced the resignation of head coach Junel Baculi who steered the school to a runner-up finish behind Letran last year.

The announcement sent shock waves around the league which begins its basketball season today at the Araneta Coliseum

Baculi cited his health condition as reason for his abrupt resignation although for the past several weeks, he has been training his team for the NCAA championship where the school is among the favorites.

Baculi, one of the winningest coaches in the amateur ranks, having steered Welcoat to four PBL championships, said doctors have advised him to rest because of his hypertension.

"Masyado lang siguro akong na-exhaust since I took over PCU last year. NCAA, two PBL conferences, Olympic Festival then NCAA na naman. Lately tumataas lang talaga ang presyon ko kaya kailangan ng kaunting pahinga," Baculi said.

Baculi, however, will not be far from the action. He said he will attend every PCU game and will sit just a row or two behind its bench.

His reason was considered by some observers as hollow and perhaps a mere alibi to hide a deeper problem within the organization.

According to sources who canít be identified because they were not allowed to discuss the matter, Baculi was recommended for suspension by the NCAA management commission headed by Letranís Bernie Atienza after Baculi made an outburst during the recent Philippine Olympic Festival basketball tournament where PCU participated.

It was alleged that Baculi berated the referees to protest a call and ordered his team to walk out of the match against San Beda. Later, however, the team was convinced to return to complete the match.

The Olympic Festival committee then suspended Baculi one game for this breach of discipline.

The suspension reached the NCAA committee which then met and decided to impose its own sanction sayng Baculi and PCU were carrying the name of the league in that tournament.

The NCAA committee suspended him seven games or one round of the two-round NCAA tournament.

But because his absence would affect the campaign of the PCU Dolphins, Baculi reportedly volunteered to resign which the school accepted.

Joel Dualan, a long-time protegee of Baculi, was designated as new PCU coach.

gamberro
06-25-2006, 03:09 AM
Ganon b?!? Malas naman!!! Well!!! Maliit n ung hcnace ng school to bring back the crown.. Tsk tsk tsk!!!

MonL
06-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Ganon b?!? Malas naman!!! Well!!! Maliit n ung hcnace ng school to bring back the crown.. Tsk tsk tsk!!!

I don't think we've seen the last of Coach Baculi. Had he been suspended, he would not have been allowed to be present in any scheduled PCU game, correct me if I'm wrong. By pre-empting the suspension with his resignation, Baculi can now claim to be a PCU supporter, position himself behind the PCU bench and call the shots as de facto coach, since there are no longer any restrictions imposed on him by the NCAA, as he is not connected with the team in an official capacity anymore.

toti_mendiola
06-26-2006, 05:08 PM

I don't think we've seen the last of Coach Baculi. Had he been suspended, he would not have been allowed to be present in any scheduled PCU game, correct me if I'm wrong. By pre-empting the suspension with his resignation, Baculi can now claim to be a PCU supporter, position himself behind the PCU bench and call the shots as de facto coach, since there are no longer any restrictions imposed on him by the NCAA, as he is not connected with the team in an official capacity anymore.

A slight semblance with the coach slash owner of a management agency who washed hands and called it quits to buy time for the outrage to subside and then eventually slipped in his old seat via tiptoeing.
Considering the love affair of hte coach's school with the limelight. . . . . . .What? No press cons?

kryptonite
06-27-2006, 04:53 AM

Hehehe...mautak din si Baculi. Ang galing.

Paul of Bataan
06-27-2006, 01:52 PM
it's unlikely that PCU management will allow such a bizarre arrangement. the fact is that junel baculi became a lightning rod for controversy since he replaced coach ato tolentino, and truth is many of his players have grown tired of his antics and confrontative nature. it'll be back to the PBL for him.

MonL
06-27-2006, 03:56 PM
it's unlikely that PCU management will allow such a bizarre arrangement.

And the NCAA, for that matter. I think. He got away from a heavy sanction. Let's see what will happen tomorrow.

I can't help but think this way as, if my memory serves me right, there was a similar circumventing incident some years back, thus the rule that a suspended coach is prohibited from watching from the stands on the scheduled playing date of his former team.

LION
06-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Eto kwento lang sa akin ha? Di ko ito pwedeng i-confirm dahil masyado pa akong bata noon.

Nung panahon ng Crispa vs. Toyota, na suspend din si Coach Dante Silverio ng Toyota. So alam niyo kung ano daw ang ginawa niya? Nanood siya sa Araneta doon sa upper box, may hawak hawak na walkie talkie para mag bigay ng instruction sa mga assistant coaches niya during the game. Kitang kita siya sa tv camera talking to his assistants.

Hanep ano? Basta pinoy.

MonL
06-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Eto kwento lang sa akin ha?* Di ko ito pwedeng i-confirm dahil masyado pa akong bata noon.

Nung panahon ng Crispa vs. Toyota,* na suspend din si Coach Dante Silverio ng Toyota.* So alam niyo kung ano daw ang ginawa niya?* Nanood siya sa Araneta doon sa upper box, may hawak hawak na walkie talkie para mag bigay ng instruction sa mga assistant coaches niya during the game.* Kitang kita siya sa tv camera talking to his assistants.

Hanep ano?* Basta pinoy.

Reku,

Yan nga yata yung insidenteng naaalala ko, ngunit di rin maalala.... ::)

Bawal ang pooork, beans, hipon.....! :D

LION
06-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Pareng MonL,

Very vivid ang recollection mo. Parang may archive ka dating back to the 60's a.

Pero with the advent of technology, Coach Baculi can put one over Dante Silverio. Ngayon, pwede niyang i-text ang mga instructions niya kay Joel Dualan. Kaya pag nakita niyo si Dualan na may pinapabasa sa cellphone niya sa mga players ng PCU, yun na yun.

At mas lalong ayos pag 3G pa ang cellphone nila. O ha! Anong suspended suspended.

canmaker
06-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Trivia : Baculi was the HS teammate of Coach Jong Uichico and fomer Knight Tonichi Pujante (who also coached LSGH) sa la salle greenhills

Wang-Bu
10-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Ano na pinagkakaabalahan ni Junel Baculi ngayon?