Paul Gonzalgo 5’10”
Reynaldo Gorospe 6’4”
Roel Hugnatan 6’4”
J.B. Orera 6’3”
Miguel Pacheco 6’0”
Marvin Poloyapoy 5’8”
Allan Santos 6’3”
Michael Yong 5’8”

Projected starting five: Kenneth Bono, Roel Hugnatan, Patrick Cabahug, Leo Canuday, and Marvin Poloyapoy.

I’m not sure if I need to include “Soaring” in Adamson’s moniker, since the school really didn’t follow through with that name change last year. And I don’t blame them, because “Sorry Falcons” would have been more appropriate. Dating back to the start of the second round of the 2004 season, Adamson has registered a lowly 5-20 win-loss mark. Considering the talent this bunch has, that certainly qualifies them as major underachievers.

New coach Leo Austria, though, knows what he’s up against, and he didn’t mince any words when asked about his team’s prospects this season.

“May skills at talent naman ang mga bata, ang problema lang kanya-kanyang grupo sila, may mga factions,” Austria laments. “Marami pa talagang kailangang ayusin. Ang attitude kasi nila dati ay nothing to lose. Wala silang pride masyado. Sanay kasing matalo. I want to transform this team and instill that winning attitude.”

Indeed, through most of their games last year, the Falcons had the intensity of a group of nuns on Good Friday. Oftentimes they played indifferently, as if they couldn’t wait for the game to end so that they could do more important things. What’s worse, the only player who seemed to give a damn last year, Jojo Hate, is no longer with the team. Say what you want about Hate’s irritating hairstyle or rough play, but he was nothing if not energetic and determined to win.

So far, though, there have been signs of life. Austria does feel his players listen to him, and he has noticed some improvement in their attitude towards winning and losing. The players would do well to listen to what Austria has to say, for he knows a thing or two about winning championships, having won several as coach in the PBL.

Still, Austria knows a lot needs to be done, and at this point, the team can go either way. “At this stage, nasa 70% preparation pa lang kami. Good or bad ang pwedeng mangyari. But once we start winning, tuloy-tuloy na iyan.”

One major key to Adamson’s fortunes will be the performance of that six-five enigma Kenneth Bono, for whom the word “underachiever” was practically coined. Last season, bono average 11.7 points and 6.6 boards per game on lowly 38% FG shooting, decent numbers for any other big man, but disappointing for a player of Bono’s talent level.

But Austria is confident the big fella can get the job done this time because he’s extra motivated. “He performed well in the PBL (for Montana), and he has something to prove this year.”

Aside from Bono, Austria will be banking on sweet-shooting Patrick Cabahug, who led the Falcons in scoring last year with 13.5ppg, and big man Roel Hugnatan, who has shown improvement of late. The graduation, though, of Patrick Tiongco leaves Cabahug as the only pure shooter. Hopefully, Austria can also squeeze out worthy performances from the talented but oft-injured (and lackadaisical) pair of Leo Canuday and Marc Agustin. If these two together with sophomore Paul Gonzalgo can step it up, the Falcons will be dangerous in the back court. Agustin played in only five games last year before going down with a knee injury, while Canuday still hasn’t shown the form that made him a junior stand out.

The point guard position is still a big question mark, with the erratic Marvin Poloyapoy and the untested Michael Yong alternating. The frontline is also a bit thin and unproven; outside of Bono and Hugnatan, only Arnold Basilio was in the line-up last season. Austria will have to rely on rookies Reynaldo Gorospe and Allan Santos to contribute down low right away.

freak
06-20-2006, 11:18 PM
WhAT?! Hate graduated already? sheesh! now, how are we to know that adamson's playing? :D

5FootCarrot
06-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Scuttlebutt has it that the main reason why Adamson decided to still field Ken Bono this season (after giving him the lose-weight-or-get-cut ultimatum) is because the Falcons are thin in the frontline.

Well, if they want to add bulk to their frontline, they couldn't have picked a better man for the job. :P

gameface_one
06-27-2006, 09:54 AM
UAAP Preview

Falcons aim to fly high under Austria

By Jasmine W. Payo
Last updated 05:35am (Mla time) 06/27/2006

Published on page A23 of the June 27, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

WHEN HE first met his new team, coach Leo Austria admits it took some time before he warmed up with the Adamson University Falcons.

“Frankly, I was disappointed and frustrated during my first few practices with the team,” said Austria. “The team had very deep problems. But the good thing is the players respect me a lot. That allowed me to have patience with them. I shared to the players that I want to help the team. It was very challenging for me.”

Although often rated highly in the pre-season, the Falcons have been ending up with disappointing performances in the University Athletics Association of the Philippines (UAAP) men’s basketball tournament.

Last season, the underachieving squad finished near-bottom with a 3-11 record.

“The past few years, the team failed to meet all the expectations,” noted Austria, who took over one-year mentor Mel Alas. “We’re trying to correct the players’ attitude. But it’s not that easy, we can’t change that overnight. It’s a long process that we started last January.”

Aside from emphasizing the importance of team work, Austria said he had to convince his players to believe on the team’s potential.

“I have veteran players, but they have no winning experience,” he said. “In the last few years, they haven’t experienced the winning situation or how to be in the Final Four. So we needed to develop a winning attitude.”

The Falcons also had to relearn the game basics with Austria.

“We went back to the fundamentals,” the former top Philippine Basketball Association point guard said. “It’s a different system, but I think they’ve absorbed it. In the last few weeks, I can see that everybody has adjusted.”

Expected to lead the Falcons is hefty center Ken Bono, who recently shone with the Montańa Jewels to bag the Most Improved Player citation in the Philippine Basketball League.

But Austria said he plans to distribute the scoring load.

“We’re not relying on (Bono) heavily,” he said. ” We’re trying to develop other players like (Patrick) Cabahug and (Roel) Hugnatan.”

The Falcons will battle pre-season favorite University of the East Warriors in the inaugural game on July 8.

“It remains to be seen, but there’s potential in this team,” said Austria. “I’m confident that we can do better this year.”