PDA

View Full Version : Winning Time: Players You Want On Your Team

Sam Miguel
06-15-2006, 02:54 PM
This isn't about those classic bar room situations of "Who do you want taking the last shot in a crucial game?", because any one can nail a game winner i.e. Gec Chia versus UE in the 2002 Final 4. Far from it, I'm talking about the players you want on your team from the opening tip to the final buzzer, guys who will consistently play hard, play well and get you the win.

Since we're in an Amateur Hoops site we will confine the discussion to players who are either STILL IN THE AMATEUR RANKS or who HAVE NO MORE THAN THREE YEARS PRO EXPERIENCE AT PRESENT.

Let me start:

LA TENORIO
JOSEPH YEO
MAC CARDONA
ARWIND SANTOS
JAMES YAP

Sam Miguel
06-15-2006, 07:34 PM
LA Tenorio will most likely be remembered as the man who made the step-back trey the most feared shot in amateur hoopdom. That being said, Tenorio has not merely been a game-saver, he has shown consistency as a player, one who puts his money where his mouth is and let's his playing make all the noise. While he is a known scorer he can just as easily set the table for his team, and he knows how to play with other good players.

Say what you will about Joseph Yeo, but this kid can flat out play. 2003 saw a weak Lasalle team still take a big swipe at the UAAP, but it was Joseph Yeo who emerged as the leader of that team and it is something he has not relinquished. His ability to take it strong even against bigger and stronger players in the lane has made him a pain on defense. He has given the hop-skip slash a whole new dimension with his unique hang time.

Mac Cardona's shots look ugly. But they somehow keep going in. Nobody in his rihgt mind would ever think of defending his assortment of hooks, floaters and teardrops because they look like "naghahanap lang ng chamba" kind of shots, but he gets it done all game long. He is also an underrated on the ball defender whose quickness enables him to be an effective trap man on the press.

Defense and rebounds win ball games, something proven by Arwind Santos all throughout his career. Santos was once dismissed as just another runner-jumper. Now he finishes his college careeer as a two-time UAAP MVP. Its his ability to keep the ball alive for his team that makes him valuable. Without those precious rebounds and blocks, his teams would've found it tougher to string wins together.

Gunners sell tickets and fill stadiums but they seldom win. Such is not the case for James Yap, the UE gunner who kept the Warriors in the thick of UAAP competition all the way to an MVP season in 2003. Yap is totally fearless, taking shots from as far away as 30 feet if he had to. Here was a man who came in with guns blazing and never stopped shooting, even now in as a pro.

bchoter
06-15-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm ok with Tenorio, Cardona, Yeo and Santos but I'll replace Yap with Larry Fonacier (inspite o the shortened playing years) because Yeo failed to deliver in his final year and has shown mental and emmotional immaturity which makes him a hindrance to the team's success at times.

freak
06-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Larry Fonacier
LA Tenorio
Arwind Santos
James Yap
JV Casio

- all of these guys want the ball in their hands come crunch time.. and they deliver. I've put Casio in the list basing on the game winners he made last season. I don't think the inclusion of other guys need any explanation ;)

Lucas Palaka
06-16-2006, 11:01 AM
these three i would trust my life with for the clutch plays on offense.

larry fonacier--ateneo
LA tenorio--ateneo
JV casio--la salle

these two i would rely on for the clutch plays on defense, especially in collaring those tough rebounds and making the key stops and shot blocks.

arwind santos--FEU
rico maierhoffer--la salle

Wang-Bu
06-16-2006, 05:17 PM
BOYET BAUTISTA - Matalinong maglaro, marunong mag-control ng laro, wala na sigurong mas magaling na pointguard sa kanya sa amateurs ngayon. Kaya niyang mag-penetrate, pumasa, pukol sa labas, maghanap ng kakampi sa magandang pwesto. Hindi na niya kailangang mag-score para mapapanalo ang team niya.

AARON ABAN - Scorer kahit saan, matinding athlete, mataas tumalon at magaling pumwesto sa opensa. Napaka-simple pa pagdating sa depensa. Kaya niyang magdala ng team pero marunong din siyang maging decoy para sa mga kakampi niya kaya mahirap bantayan.

GABBY ESPINAS - Basta rebounds at supalpalan dito na ako. Natututo na ding pumukol ng medium range at mag-dribble. Malaki tulong niya sa team kasi athletic siya na bigman. Asahan mong buong larong walang kapagod-pagod itong humabol at kumuha ng bola at magbantay sa loob.

ROB SANZ - Inside-outside na manlalaro na kayang pumwesto sa apat na positions from pointguard to power forward, magandang bitaw mapaloob o labas, hindi din masyado napapansin pero matinding magbantay at matalinong pumwesto. Maangas pa kaya andaling makasira ng laro ng kalaban.

JEROME PATERNO - Ito ang madalas sabihin ng coaches na "malamig maglaro", kahit gaano kadikit ang laban o kahit tambak pa koponan niya, ibang klase sa diskarte ito, walang ka-panic panic maglaro. Magaling pumwesto sa loob at magaling magdala ng bola for a power forward.

Wang-Bu
07-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Maiba ng konti: KUNG PWEDENG MAG-TRADE NG COLLEGE PLAYERS NA WALA NG RESIDENCY O ANO PA MANG BALAKID, PERO FAIR TRADING PA DIN, SINONG PLAYER ANG GUSTO MONG MAKUHA NG SCHOOL MO, AT SINO NAMAN ANG IPAPALIT MO?

Pwedeng kaliwaang trade i.e. JERVY CRUZ for RICO MAEIRHOFER

Pwede ring multi-team trade i.e. JV CASIO to ATENEO, CHRIS TIU to UP, MIGS DE ASIS to LASALLE

Basta derechahang palitan lang, wala ng ibang considerations, so bawal ang tapatan ng allowance and other "perks", at wala na ding entrance exam.

flsfnoeraekadad
07-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Jayvee Casio for me.

Sam Miguel
07-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Maiba ng konti: KUNG PWEDENG MAG-TRADE NG COLLEGE PLAYERS NA WALA NG RESIDENCY O ANO PA MANG BALAKID, PERO FAIR TRADING PA DIN, SINONG PLAYER ANG GUSTO MONG MAKUHA NG SCHOOL MO, AT SINO NAMAN ANG IPAPALIT MO?

Pwedeng kaliwaang trade i.e. JERVY CRUZ for RICO MAEIRHOFER

Pwede ring multi-team trade i.e. JV CASIO to ATENEO, CHRIS TIU to UP, MIGS DE ASIS to LASALLE

Basta derechahang palitan lang, wala ng ibang considerations, so bawal ang tapatan ng allowance and other "perks", at wala na ding entrance exam.

Didn't think this thread was still active, heh-heh...!

I'd trade Patrick Cabahug for Jai Reyes AND Eman Monfort. Its not like Adamson is chasing a championship, plus this gives Cabahug a legit shot at getting a title. With him aboard all of a sudden Ateneo has a proven bigtime on-court scorer.

Howard the Duck
07-24-2007, 08:42 PM
PG - Tenorio
SG - Casio
SF - Duncil
PF - Arwind
C - Bono

undersized lang nga ;D

Wang-Bu
07-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Referee Monching "Boyong" Manalac. ;D

Basta si Boyong nasa team ko laglag lahat! ;D