PDA

View Full Version : NCAA sets eyes on Division II League

gameface_one
06-14-2006, 07:24 AM
NCAA sets eyes on Division II League
mb.com.ph

By KRITSEL SATUMBAGA

THE NATIONAL Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is conceptualizing a Division II league to accommodate the numerous applications from different schools.

NCAA Management Committee Chairman Bernie Atienza said yesterday the plan is give aspiring schools a chance to showcase the talents of their athletes through a competitive league.

"Nothing is still definite. We’re just thinking of that plan since we could not give room for another school to be part of the league this season. Hopefully it will materialize," Atienza said during yesterday’s Philippine Sportswriters Association (PSA) Forum at the Pantalan Restaurant.

The oldest collegiate league in the country, which opens its 82nd season this month, has eight member schools — Letran College, Philippine Christian University (PCU), Mapua Tech, San Sebastian College, San Beda College, College of St. Benilde, Jose Rizal University (JRU) and University of Perpetual Help.

Apart from the said plan, the league also proposes to include women events in swimming, track and field and basketball next season.

Atienza also abred that the new season will start with the volleyball tournament starting June 24. He said the new schedule, which deviates from the traditional basketball tournament as the opening games, hopes to give more attention to other sports.

"We’re hoping that we can promote the sport through this new schedule, hindi basketball lang when you speak of NCAA," said Atienza.

Volleyball games are set from 8 a.m. to noon on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays before the anticipated exciting matches of basketball in the afternoon.

pulang leon
06-24-2006, 06:01 AM
Yes!!! This is what I'm talking about! Of course I want the Red Lions to win the NCAA championship again in almost 30 years, but there's more glory to it if it is against many schools from all over the country, not just in Manila.

Let's make it happen and move to a tv channel that will solely market our NCAA games fully.

Go NCAA Fight!!! Go San Beda Fight!!!

AnthonyServinio
07-11-2006, 02:20 AM
Among the schools who have been quite vocal or have given feelers about their desire to form the NCAA Division II are a good mix of stalwart schools from the other Metro Manila-based school leagues like the NCRAA, CUSA, NAASCU and UCAA.

These include -- Emilio Aguinaldo, Saint Francis, FEATI, Manuel L. Quezon and Lyceum plus former NCAA member Trinity-QC. Two more schools and we have an eight-team cast already.

What I want to see is a system of promotion and demotion wherein the champion of Division II will face the last-placer of Division I in a game or series to determine of the teams will switch divisions or not for the coming season.

LION
07-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Kung mangyayari yang promotion at demotion system mo Anthony baka kalahati ng current NCAA teams ay dapat malagay sa Division II.

St. Francis, EAC, Feati, MLQU and Lyceum are also powerhouses and they might even be more deserving to be in the NCAA Division I now, that is, if we are talking purely about basketball.

Instead of creating a Division II, why not expand the membership of the NCAA to include some deserving schools? Mas hahaba nga lang ang season pero who cares? Mas gusto pa nga yan ng mga hardcores. We will just have to make sure that these schools are qualified and they should be strict with their admissions and recruiting practices. Safety nets should be provided.

oca
07-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Among the schools who have been quite vocal or have given feelers about their desire to form the NCAA Division II are a good mix of stalwart schools from the other Metro Manila-based school leagues like the NCRAA, CUSA, NAASCU and UCAA.

These include -- Emilio Aguinaldo, Saint Francis, FEATI, Manuel L. Quezon and Lyceum plus former NCAA member Trinity-QC.* Two more schools and we have an eight-team cast already.

What I want to see is a system of promotion and demotion wherein the champion of Division II will face the last-placer of Division I in a game or series to determine of the teams will switch divisions or not for the coming season.

First, considering that the name of the NCAA is used identify this Division II league, proves to all that it is indeed the 82-year old league who is behind this undertaking. Otherwise, a separate entity will not be able to use the name.

Now, if the NCAA invites a school to become part of this Division II league, what incentives awaits them for joining? When infact, they are all current members of different leagues, though not as popular, but in principle a co-equal. Would I join another league and be labeled a Division II school?

So, I am inclined to believe, even without an official statement, that a system of promotion and relegation/ demotion will be implemented here. Maybe not immediately, but soon enough to make this NCAA Division II very competitive and respectable for its initial members.

Again, who would want to be labelled a Division II school?

oca
07-11-2006, 10:10 AM
...and when a system of promotion and relegation is implemented, that reflects the progressive thinking of the NCAA as a league.

If you are a NCAA member, would you readily and willingly subject your self to a possible relegation?

One member school may not be agreeable to the idea, but collectively the LEAGUE can be forward thinking.

Tignan niyo ang PBA as an organization, halos ayaw ngang tumanggap ng applicante na may karibal na member. Tapos eto ang NC', magpapatupad ng system of relegation and promotion...

Tignan niyo ang UAAP, maya't maya napapasok sa di magandang usapan dahil sa Board nilang hindi mo malaman kung anong prinsipyo ang pinapatupad pag nagde-desisyon. Tapos eto ang NC', pinalalawak ang liga at isasalang ang kasalukuyang miembro sa isang palakad na siya ring dadaanan ng bagong miembro...

Some may say na pinangungunahan ko yung promotion at relegation. Pero, gaya ng nauna kong post, kung ikaw ay sasali sa NCAA Division II, papayag ka bang forever ma-label na Division II school?

MonL
07-11-2006, 10:18 AM

These include -- Emilio Aguinaldo, Saint Francis, FEATI, Manuel L. Quezon and Lyceum plus former NCAA member Trinity-QC.* Two more schools and we have an eight-team cast already.

Equality in stature is possible IF both divisions will have a mix of the old and the new members. Top 2 finishers in each division will undergo a Final Four series, for example. It doesn't have to mean that the NCAA Division II will be lower in stature to Division I. It's all in the mix. My two cent's worth.

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, given the premise that this new division will be used by other schools "to showcase their athletic talents in a competitive league" when they are in their own right powerhouses in their own leagues, what will happen to their current membership in their former leagues should these teams move on to the NCAA? Wala na? On that above premise kasi, mukhang temporary ang pagiging miyembro sa Div II. *Is the Div II membership a permanent one once the invitation is accepted, thus allowing the new member/s to pull out from their former leagues? Then the mix of the old and the new in both divisions should work.

oca
07-11-2006, 10:42 AM
^
If we are to implement a good "mix of old and new members" to attain equality in stature,

"How would the "mix" be determined, when infact there's annual turnover over of talents in the league affecting the competitiveness of all teams?"

Balance in the collegiate league is tilted every year, from the champion to the 8th placer of the previous season. IMO, masyadong subjective ang "mix". We all know, subjectivity or subjectiveness can trigger a lot of negativity.

Now, if only the days and paper work can move faster, para naman magbigay na ng official statement ang mga kinauukulan...

MonL
07-11-2006, 11:10 AM
^
If we are to implement a good "mix of old and new members" to attain equality in stature,

"How would the "mix" be determined, when infact there's annual turnover over of talents in the league affecting the competitiveness of all teams?"
Balance in the collegiate league is tilted every year, from the champion to the 8th placer of the previous season. IMO, masyadong subjective ang "mix". We all know, subjectivity or subjectiveness can trigger a lot of negativity.

Your guess is as good as mine. However, at the risk of prolonging this discussion, I would like to push LION's example to its limits. Since all the Div II teams are to be selected by invitation, what if, in a hypothetical season, ALL of them are so good that in one season they bump off ALL Div I teams through sheer performance and be deserving Div I teams THEMSELVES?? Parang complete changing of the guard. Not a good thought at all for the old guard. Pero, that's being progressive.

Now, if only the days and paper work can move faster, para naman magbigay na ng official statement ang mga kinauukulan...

Hehehe...bureaucracy..... pero hope springs eternal. Antayin ko na lang.

oca
07-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Your guess is as good as mine. However, at the risk of prolonging this discussion, I would like to push LION's example to its limits. Since all the Div II teams are to be selected by invitation, what if, in a hypothetical season, ALL of them are so good that in one season they bump off ALL Div I teams through sheer performance and be deserving Div I teams THEMSELVES?? Parang complete changing of the guard. Not a good thought at all for the old guard. Pero, that's being progressive.

As practiced in some professional sports particularly in football,at the end of each season, a relegation system involves only the tail ender of the upper division, with the top finisher of the lower division getting a promotion. Though some leagues relegate the bottom 2 teams.

But hypothetically, over a period of time, yes, it is possible that there can be a complete overhaul of the roster of schools at each division. It may happen..the idea of which I personnaly like. For it can only heigthen the competition.

I just hope that as schools avoid relegation, they don't develope that win at all cost attitude.

Lord, huwag naman sana....

Howard the Duck
07-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Imbes na division, conferences na lang kunwari may ACC tapos may SEC...
Tapos may committee na pipili kung sino sasali sa playoffs

ayun may oktober madness na tayo bwahaha

danny
07-14-2006, 02:59 AM

These include -- Emilio Aguinaldo, Saint Francis, FEATI, Manuel L. Quezon and Lyceum plus former NCAA member Trinity-QC. Two more schools and we have an eight-team cast already.

First, considering that the name of the NCAA is used identify this Division II league, proves to all that it is indeed the 82-year old league who is behind this undertaking. Otherwise, a separate entity will not be able to use the name.

Now, if the NCAA invites a school to become part of this Division II league, what incentives awaits them for joining? When infact, they are all current members of different leagues, though not as popular, but in principle a co-equal. Would I join another league and be labeled a Division II school?

So, I am inclined to believe, even without an official statement, that a system of promotion and relegation/ demotion will be implemented here. Maybe not immediately, but soon enough to make this NCAA Division II very competitive and respectable for its initial members.

The NCAA brand itself is the incentive.

The NCAA and the UAAP are among the marketing tools being employed by the various member schools. In a country where "excusivism" reign supreme, being a member of these two leagues will raise the top of mind awareness of the schools. A semblance of exclusivism, rubbing elbows with the most popular schools, which might translate to a perceived quality of the education for some, will lure more prospective students. Higher enrollment, means long-term financial viability. Of course Top-of-mind awareness based on membership to a popular league is just one area , bur probably a bigger magnet for many impressionable students.

Who would want to be labelled an NCAA Didivions 2 school? Techincally, schools who perceive that the NCAA Division 2 "brand" is more cost effective than their present ,co-equal in principle, league. Who are they? They will decide for themselves.

Probably you may be right oca. The schools who have shown the intention to join are respectable and reputable in their own right. They might not accept a Division 2 designation.

If this will not push through, then the NCAA has been given a taste of reality that the brand is not marketable enough to dichotomize between Division 1 and Division 2 at least among those schools that have been mentioned.

pulang leon
07-15-2006, 04:27 PM
...and when a system of promotion and relegation is implemented, that reflects the progressive thinking of the NCAA as a league.

If you are a NCAA member, would you readily and willingly subject your self to a possible relegation?

One member school may not be agreeable to the idea, but collectively the LEAGUE can be forward thinking.

Tignan niyo ang PBA as an organization, halos ayaw ngang tumanggap ng applicante na may karibal na member. Tapos eto ang NC', magpapatupad ng system of relegation and promotion...

Tignan niyo ang UAAP, maya't maya napapasok sa di magandang usapan dahil sa Board nilang hindi mo malaman kung anong prinsipyo ang pinapatupad pag nagde-desisyon. Tapos eto ang NC', pinalalawak ang liga at isasalang ang kasalukuyang miembro sa isang palakad na siya ring dadaanan ng bagong miembro...

Some may say na pinangungunahan ko yung promotion at relegation. Pero, gaya ng nauna kong post, kung ikaw ay sasali sa NCAA Division II, papayag ka bang forever ma-label na Division II school?

The difference between Division I and II is their talent right? I mean in the long run. For now, new comers have to be in Division II... papayag ka bang "FOREVER" na ma-label na Division II school? I don't think there's one school who's willing to be in a Division II league "forever". I mean that's what this league is for... FOR COMPETITION... to be in the best in the Division II league, to be moved to the Division I league, to be the NCAA Champion in the whole country... if not, why join the NCAA? Kaya nga sumali sa NCAA para makipag-compete eh... What else is there?

whiplash
09-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Kung mangyayari yang promotion at demotion system mo Anthony baka kalahati ng current NCAA teams ay dapat malagay sa Division II.

St. Francis, EAC, Feati, MLQU and Lyceum are also* powerhouses and they might even be more deserving to be in the NCAA Division I now, that is, if we are talking purely about basketball.

Instead of creating a Division II, why not expand the membership of the NCAA to include some deserving schools?* Mas hahaba nga lang ang season pero who cares?* Mas gusto pa nga yan ng mga hardcores.* We will just have to make sure that these schools are qualified and they should be strict with their admissions and recruiting practices. Safety nets should be provided.

i agree with Lion... the thing is, if you are an NCAA school right now and in perhaps in your tune up games (in the off season) you always lose to one of these newcomers, there is no way you will allow these teams to get into the NCAA.. kung baga you will convince whoever your school's representative is to the NCAA not to allow one of these teams..

but i guess this is very good competition.. slackers and hardworking players will be known... these will keep the players now in the NCAA on their toes...

sana lang maging fair and open to all...