PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Season 82 Champion

gameface_one
06-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Let's feel the pulse of our Gameface members by having this poll.

christian
06-13-2006, 07:59 PM
hindi ba puro bedans ang bumoto dito? :)

Global Greenie
06-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Why not do one for the Juniors team as well?

crazybedan
06-14-2006, 12:17 AM
kaya npaghahalatang marame tayong mga bedista d2 sa gameface eh heheheh ;D well survey yan eh shmpre dun tyo sa team nating boboto d b...and alam nmn nating capabilites ng team natin ngyon na kayang kaya talaga so wala dapat ikahiya!!!

danny
06-14-2006, 12:56 AM
kaya npaghahalatang marame tayong mga bedista d2 sa gameface eh heheheh ;D well survey yan eh shmpre dun tyo sa team nating boboto d b...and alam nmn nating capabilites ng team natin ngyon na kayang kaya talaga so wala dapat ikahiya!!!

In my opinion, no other school in this country can come close to the Bedan brand of loyalty. The resilience of the the Bedan Spirit is legendary. Almost 3 decades of agony and frustration would have crushed the backbone of many schools. Not us Bedans.

What more if we can win the crown in the future?

Animo San Beda!

christian
06-14-2006, 12:42 PM

In my opinion, no other school in this country can come close to the Bedan brand of loyalty.* The resilience of the the Bedan Spirit* is legendary. Almost 3 decades of* agony and frustration would have crushed the backbone* of many schools. Not us Bedans.

Amen! The longer it takes the sweeter it will be! (ironically speaking...)

Animo San Beda!

Howard the Duck
06-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Hindi ako bedista pero beda has the championship to lose

christian
06-16-2006, 10:30 PM
i think it will be open race, with all the teams retaining at least 1 of their star player/s CSJL with Bautista and Aban, MIT with De la Pena and Gonzales (?), SSC-R with Vicente and Viray, PCU with Espinas and Castro (their own version of MIB) CSB with Orbeta, UPHDS with Misa (?) JRU i don't know... sorry :) SBC with Al Jamal and Angeles (the rest being untested rookies) i'm sure all the coaches have something i their sleeves.

SBC all the way!!! Animo San Beda!!!

boredtoday
06-22-2006, 03:03 PM
syempre boboto din ako diba! heheh

ANIMO SAN BEDA!

roar.

game_fixer
06-25-2006, 04:37 PM
i don't think mag champion ang beda pag ganun lng ang laro nila..yup, they led 30pts..but i'm still not impress sa takbo ng laro nila. daming uncontested shots na sinablay..although first game palang...we'll see....

J.B.
06-25-2006, 05:58 PM
i don't think mag champion ang beda pag ganun lng ang laro nila..yup, they led 30pts..but i'm still not impress sa takbo ng laro nila. daming uncontested shots na sinablay..although first game palang...we'll see....

yeah...di pa nating pwede ijudge ang game ng beda against JRU...the real test will begin this coming June 28 VS PCU

oca
06-25-2006, 07:55 PM
First day, opening day games are indicative of nothing.

Wait until everyone settle down.

LION
06-26-2006, 07:28 AM

Welcome to gameface game_fixer.

Admittedly, marami pang kailangan i-improve ang Red Lions. Kami mismo hindi satisfied sa ilang plays na nakita namin. Pero we have to remember that wala namang perpektong laro. No such thing as an ideal game. Lahat ng laro e may flaws.

If based on that game you think that San Beda will not end up as champions, my question is - who do you think will?

PCU? CSB? JRU? or SSC? Did they play better than San Beda? Natalo sila di ba?

Will it be opening day winners like Letran, Mapua or UPHD? I don't think they played better than San Beda.

Mang_Roger
06-26-2006, 01:31 PM

First of all, that's "San Beda" for you, not beda.

Second, who gives a kahoona whether you are impressed or not

Third, go land on a dung or go to PEX

Red Vanquish
06-26-2006, 11:44 PM

In my opinion, no other school in this country can come close to the Bedan brand of loyalty.* The resilience of the the Bedan Spirit* is legendary. Almost 3 decades of* agony and frustration would have crushed the backbone* of many schools. Not us Bedans.

Animo San Beda!

* *I COULDN'T AGREE MORE! GO SAN BEDA FIGHT!

game_fixer
06-27-2006, 12:02 AM
for mang_roger..kya nga forum e..this is a place to express thoughts..and beda for me?? who the hell do u think ur talking 2? wag ka maangas...bka maaksidente ka

kryptonite
06-27-2006, 01:11 AM
One thing different between the UAAP and the NCAA is the NCAA's unpredictability. The line-ups doesn't indicate the strength of the teams competing. Desire plays a major role here. How much do they want it more?

San Beda has a souped up line-up this year and they have a legitimate center which was lacking in the previous years. They have the edge this year due to lack of powerhouse teams this year. The real challenge may come from Letran and Philippine Christian. San Sebastian and Mapua are darkhorses while St. Benilde and Perpetual may surprise.

How well will the Red Lions deal with the pressure to end 28 at 82? Only then will they accomplish their goal this year. I am rooting for them to finally end years of frustration in the NCAA. Hey, why not a double championships this year with the Red Cubs the favorite to win the Juniors plum.

danny
06-27-2006, 01:13 AM
for mang_roger..kya nga forum e..this is a place to express thoughts..and beda for me?? who the hell do u think ur talking 2? wag ka maangas...bka maaksidente ka

It's obvious. Hindi to Bedista. Masyado ang galit sa atin. :P

toti_mendiola
06-27-2006, 01:12 PM

game_fixer,

Please do not wish someone ill, either it is ill nothings or a plain threat.
Hell we do not think about who we are talking to, because a member here is considered "as good as his posts", in your case it is bad as you fret.
And if you are a Bedan, not the "once who was a student of" but the Bedan who is a gentleman, you could have been more considerate on your posts. After all if you knew the legendary Mang Roger of the Gates, you could have treated the name with respect. Such respect as we give our Monks or Rector.
Peace for you!

kryptonite
07-01-2006, 03:50 AM
Looks like PCU is living up to its billing as Pre-tournament favorites. We'll see who are just the pretenders.

Badeth
07-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Too many bedans here! Anyways, okay na yun somehow nakakabangon kayo from all your losses in the past years. Imagine your last title was in 1978 if im not mistaken... I am not a bedan and will never be. Mahal ko ang Letran and I am proud to be a Letranite. But if mag champion kayo this season... Mas mabuting kayo na rather than SSC-R, PCU or MIT. :D or if not.. kami na lang ulit :) ARRIBA LETRAN! ;)

MonL
07-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Too many bedans here! Anyways, okay na yun somehow nakakabangon kayo from all your losses in the past years. Imagine your last title was in 1978 if im not mistaken... I am not a bedan and will never be. Mahal ko ang Letran and I am proud to be a Letranite. But if mag champion kayo this season... Mas mabuting kayo na rather than SSC-R, PCU or MIT.* :D or if not.. kami na lang ulit :) ARRIBA LETRAN!* ;)

Too little Letranites here!!! ;D Magsama ka pa, and join the fun!!!

toti_mendiola
07-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Too many bedans here! Anyways, okay na yun somehow nakakabangon kayo from all your losses in the past years. Imagine your last title was in 1978 if im not mistaken... I am not a bedan and will never be. Mahal ko ang Letran and I am proud to be a Letranite. But if mag champion kayo this season... Mas mabuting kayo na rather than SSC-R, PCU or MIT.* :D or if not.. kami na lang ulit :) ARRIBA LETRAN!* ;)

What is appreciated by every hardcore is everybody's loyalty to their respective schools, wag lang sosobra gaya ng iba diyan.

letranense1620
07-08-2006, 07:38 PM
kami yata yung "iba dyan" hehehe. :) RL, this year is the best time to end the 28. i

LION
07-08-2006, 09:56 PM
^^^He's not referring to Letran I assure you hehehe.

danny
07-11-2006, 02:02 AM
Too many bedans here! Anyways, okay na yun somehow nakakabangon kayo from all your losses in the past years. Imagine your last title was in 1978 if im not mistaken... I am not a bedan and will never be. Mahal ko ang Letran and I am proud to be a Letranite. But if mag champion kayo this season... Mas mabuting kayo na rather than SSC-R, PCU or MIT. :D or if not.. kami na lang ulit :) ARRIBA LETRAN! ;)

There are many Bedans here because this site is respectable. :D

Here in gameface, we can all come together and discuss hardcore hoops less the pedestrian langauage and attitude found somewhere out there.

Invite more Letranites. Invite more NCAA people. But always remember that respect begets respect. ;D

Too little Letranites here!!! ;D Magsama ka pa, and join the fun!!!

Joescoundrel
09-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Speaking of champions, what is it with defending champions lately? Letran made the Final 4 only to get walloped by PCU and bundled out most unceremoniously.

danny
09-15-2006, 01:32 AM
Speaking of champions, what is it with defending champions lately? Letran made the Final 4 only to get walloped by PCU and bundled out most unceremoniously.

I guess the end-game Houdini victories of Letran before the Final 4 caught up with them in the latter part of the hostilities.

Luck has got to end sometimes. PCU proved to be a better and solid squad.

Howard the Duck
09-15-2006, 05:03 PM
PCU tayo!!! :p

christian
09-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Now that the finals is on, fellow gamefacers, wo do you pick to win this season?

nasbedan
09-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Now that the finals is on, fellow gamefacers, wo do you pick to win this season?

syempre beda!!!!

ANIMO SAN BEDA!!!!

funchum
09-19-2006, 04:36 PM
^^ It's not beda.... SAN BEDA

nasbedan
09-19-2006, 05:02 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^^ It's not beda.... SAN BEDA

i know!!!!GS 92 HS 96 CAS 00

luranski
09-19-2006, 08:59 PM
MABUHAY SAN BEDISTA!!!

christian
09-19-2006, 10:49 PM
I want to hear from our friends from the walls of Intramuros, Recto, Taft, Las Pinas, Mandaluyong etc.

nacho_libre
09-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Conrats San Beda!

Wang-Bu
09-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Maligayang pagwawagi sa lahat ng mga taga-Mendiola, Alabang at lahat na ng Bedista.

VIVA SANGRE ROSA!

Mukhang dynasty na ang dapat sumunod.

christian
09-22-2006, 11:42 PM
Dadating tayo dyan. There's always the first time :)

israeli
09-23-2006, 12:14 AM
congratulations to the San Beda Red Lions, the NCAA men's basketball champions for 2006! :)

danny
09-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Maligayang pagwawagi sa lahat ng mga taga-Mendiola, Alabang at lahat na ng Bedista.

VIVA SANGRE ROSA!

Mukhang dynasty na ang dapat sumunod.

Sampu ng sambayanang Bedista, isang lumalagablab na pulahang pagbati at pasasalamat sa inyong lahat mga kasamang gamefacers (hindi gamefixers ;D)!

Mabuhay tayong lahat!

SIMBA
09-23-2006, 03:08 AM
we have a new cheer: PUSO PUSO PUSO PUSO, ka-sound ng DEFENSE DEFENSE

danny
09-23-2006, 03:24 AM
I want to hear from our friends from the walls of Intramuros, Recto, Taft, Las Pinas, Mandaluyong etc.

I would rather have us extend goodwill to all schools in all public boards in cyberspace.

Be magnanimous in victory, Bedans. Police our ranks, especially in lawless sites like PEX. ;D

PAX

full battle gear
09-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Lions survive, regain NCAA title after 28 years

By Marc Anthony Reyes
Inquirer
Last updated 03:28am (Mla time) 09/23/2006

Published on page A23 of September 23, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

SAN BEDA, squandering a 20-point lead, rode on three hideous homestretch turnovers by a hard-fighting Philippine Christian University to score an excruciating 68-67 win last night and take its first NCAA men’s basketball championship in 28 years at the Araneta Coliseum.

The Red Lions, leading 57-37 late in the third quarter, almost choked in the homestretch as the Dolphins launched a daring fourth-quarter assault that brought the game down the wire.

“It was God’s will,” said a sobbing San Beda coach Koy Banal in the din of revelry. “When I prayed this morning, He told me to just do it. And we did it.”

Not without testing their faith, of course.

Suddenly, the Dolphins were breathing down the Lions’ necks with Jason Castro almost single-handedly carrying the fight before capping his fine form with an undergoal put-back off a Gabby Espinas miss.

That stab pushed PCU to within 65-67 with only 59 ticks remaining.

Nigerian Samuel Ekwe then hit just one of his four straight charities with 34 seconds left, for 68-65.

That, however, proved enough cushion for the Red Lions, although Espinas put the Dolphins at their closest (67-68) with 24.8 left.

Actually, the Dolphins blew chances to reverse the outcome with three successive turnovers on two dribbling miscues and an errant pass in the homestretch.

Pong Escobal almost turned from hero to goat when he made a wayward pass to Ekwe in the next possession, 17.1 left. But PCU’s Beau Belga bungled a hurried jumper with Youif Aljamal snagging the rebound. The King Lion hugged the ball as time ran out while the San Beda gallery erupted in fits of celebration for the Red Lions’ 12th title overall.

With some members of the 1978 champion squad on the sidelines, San Beda finished its glorious season with 16 wins in 18 games, including Game 1 of the Finals where the Red Lions threatened to make it a lopsided series with a 71-57 blowout win.

Among the stars of that San Beda champion team were Chito Loyzaga, Chuck Barreiro and Jayvee Yango.

PCU’s guns turned hot early with Beau Belga, Gabby Espinas and Jason Castro firing from all angles as the Dolphins took the first quarter, 19-15.

But, unlike in the previous game, San Beda didn’t allow things to get out of hand. Aljamal, Rogie Menor and Ekwe hit their marks, with the 6-foot-8 Rookie-MVP winner hitting all his first four free throws.

And just after the quarter gap, the Red Lions roared with a telling 17-6 run fueled by rousing three-pointers from Aljamal, Escobal and Alex Angeles to storm to a 32-24 advantage.

The big pro-San Beda crowd also got into the nerves of Belga and Espinas as the duo nearly lost their cool over the referees’ call several times.

The scores:

SAN BEDA 68—Aljamal 23, Escobal 15, Angeles 8, Ekwe 7, Menor 5, Evangelista 4, Gamalinda 2, Maggay 2, Hermida 2, Tecson 0, Taganas 0.

PCU 67—Castro 25, David 10, Belga 9, Espinas 8, Navarro 7, Graham 4, Garrido 2, Amparado 2, Santos 0, Chien 0, Vidal 0, McCoy 0.

Quarters: 15-19, 36-30, 61-44, 68-67

full battle gear
09-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Long wait over for Red Lions
By Joey Villar
The Philippine Star 09/23/2006

It’s been long, simply too long — 28 years to be exact — and when the moment of triumph came, it almost slipped away.

But the San Beda Red Lions hung tough in the face of tremendous rally from a worthy rival and went on to claim the NCAA championship with a 68-67 victory over the Philippine Christian U Dolphins before a roaring crowd of more than 15,000 at the Araneta Coliseum that watched what seemed to be a walk in the park for the Bedans turn into a thriller at the finish.

Nigeria’s Samuel Ekwe, whose imposing 6-foot-8 presence boosted San Beda’s stock in the league it last ruled in 1978, capped an impressive season with a split in the last 34.6 seconds that made it 68-65. It turned out to be the marginal point.

The Red Lions dictated the tempo and the pace in the third quarter and led by 20 points early in the fourth only to succumb to the pressures of ending that nearly three decades of wait at the height of the Dolphins’ explosive comeback behind Jason Castro.

The spitfirish Castro erupted for 25 points, including a 14-point splurge in the fourth that helped power the Dolphins to within a point at 67-68 on Gabby Espinas’ undergoal stab with 24.8 seconds remaining in the contest.

PCU, in fact, had the chance to steal the crown after gaining the last possession following the last of too many San Beda turnovers in the fourth — an errant pass by John Escobal to Ekwe.

With the ball on his hands and a shot at glory, Castro dribbled up court, sidestepped to his left, found three guys in front of him before passing to a wide-open Beau Belga near at the top of the key. The 6-foot-5 three-year veteran then fired a 20-foot jumper that hit the rim.

Pandemonium broke loose as San Beda’s horde of fans spilled onto the court to celebrate the momentous event with the Lions, who won the opener, 71-57, lifting and giving their coach Koy Banal the victory ride.

"I was like in a daze for that few seconds," said Banal, pointing one finger up to signal the end of a long, long 28-year title drought. "I only realized that we already won it when I heard the final buzzer and someone was telling me that we won."

"This title is sweeter because I’m home, it feels good to help San Beda win the title," said Banal, who steered Far Eastern U Tams to the 2003 UAAP title before getting the chance to serve his alma mater.

Thanks to Yousif Aljamal, who was named Finals MVP, the Lions unleashed a series of big runs in the third quarter to lead by as many as 20, the last at the onset of the final quarter when Escobal drained in a triple for a 64-44 bulge.

Held to just a basket in a 52-70 loss in Game 2, Aljamal fired 23 points this time, including 11 in the third quarter when the Lions tried to pull away from a 36-30 halftime lead into a 61-44 advantage.

Despite the loss, PCU mentor Joel Dualan said he was proud of his boys.

"We had our chances," Dualan said. "But I’m proud of the guys, they didn’t give up and kept coming back."

For winning the title, Banal duplicated his elder brother Joel’s feat of winning titles in two separate leagues–UAAP and NCAA.

Joel was coach of the Mapua Cardinals when they won a back-to-back NCAA title in 1990 and 1991 and the Ateneo Eagles when they clinched the 2002 UAAP crown.

With Belga exploding for nine points early, the Dolphins dictated the pace and took a 19-15 advantage after the opening period.

Ian Garrido nailed a jumper atop the key to make it a 21-15 lead early in the second quarter but the Lions turned things around with a 17-3 blast to seize a 32-24 lead.

The Lions ended up closing the first half still ahead, 36-30, thanks to a buzzer-beating triple by Alex Angeles.

Ekwe, this year’s rookie MVP, posted game highs 18 rebounds and four shot blocks and had seven points.

full battle gear
09-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Long wait over for San Beda
www.mb.com.ph

Red Lions nip Dolphins, 68-67, win first NCAA title in 28 years

By KRISTEL SATUMBAGA

THE SAN Beda Red Lions are kings of the world. Anybody who wants to dispute that is welcome to step up and be identified; the Lions had just feasted on a sumptuous meal but could have room left for dessert.

Energized by tens of thousands of screaming, frenzied supporters, many of whom had waited 28 long years to see a dream fulfilled, a dream some of them didn’t live long enough to cherish, the Red Lions weathered a furious rally by the Philippine Christian University Dolphins to capture the 82nd NCAA varsity basketball crown by the slimmest of margins, 68-67, last night at the Araneta Coliseum.

But for some terrifying moments, the Lions’ three-decade title thirst appeared in danger of getting quenched.

Dominating the second half, the Mendiola crew slipped and squandered a 20-point advantage in the final quarter, leaning on their gutsy defensive stops to save the day for the horde who last experience the victory thrill of an NCAA crown in 1978 behind Frankie Lim and Chito Loyzaga.

"I’m very thankful we finally made it," said San Beda coach Koy Banal, a Red Lion himself from 1980-82. "I will be a hypocrite if I won’t admit that I sensed fear when PCU made the run, but I just keep on giving motivational talks to my players that we can actually win it."

Veteran Yousif Aljamal, later adjudged Finals Most Valuable Player, exploded with a double-double effort of 23 points and 11 rebounds to fuel the Red Lions.

He funneled 11 markers in the third quarter that set the tone in the second half as lead swelled at, 57-47. The Dolphins, however, refused to be left on the beach to die.

After rookie John Escobal nailed a triple early in the fourth canto for a 64-44 lead, the troika of Jason Castro, Robby David and Lisztian Amparado breathed fire into the Dolphins’ comeback surge with a 14-2 blast to cut the deficit, 66-63, three minutes remaining.

An exchange of baskets by league Samuel Ekwe of Beda and PCU’s Castro preserved a 68-65 Lions edge, but a lay-up from Gabby Espinas with 24.8 ticks closed the gap.

PCU had the chance to grab the victory after Escobal made an errant pass to Ekwe, but Beau Belga’s 18footer bounced out, sending the delirious Beda crowd pouring into the floor.

Still, PCU coach Joel Dualan took things in stride.

"I’m proud of my boys. We had our chance, but the game wasn’t ours. I credit my players for not giving up that easily," he said.

Castro poured 14 of his 25 points for the Dolphins in the fourth quarter, but his heroic exploits went for naught.

Escobal finished in double figures with 15 points, while Ekwe collared 18 rebounds, seven markers and four blocks, although the three free throws he missed down the stretch almost cost them the championship game.

full battle gear
09-23-2006, 12:29 PM
San Beda wins NCAA hoops title

BY FRANK CALAPRE, The Manila Times Correspondent
www.abs-cbnnews.com

Ending with a roar instead of a whimper, San Beda College survived Philippine Christian University’s fiery endgame rally for a hairline 68-67 win Friday that clinched its first National Collegiate Athletic Association men’s basketball title in 28 years.

But the Red Lions had to go down the wire to beat the seemingly unsinkable Dolphins, who erased a 61-44 third-quarter deficit with a scary 23-7 tear that nearly did the trick.

Not until PCU’s gunner Ian Garrido drew a blank from 15 feet near the keyhole as time expired could the San Beda crowd at the packed Araneta Coliseum heave a sigh of relief and erupt in celebration.

Yousif Aljamal collared the rebound and held the ball tightly like his life depended on it, as the desperate Dolphins swarmed all over him. Confetti then fell from the Big Dome roof signaling the end of San Beda’s long title drought.

The Red Lions then gave a well-deserved victory ride for rookie coach Koy Banal, who set a record of sorts with the historic triumph, after closing out the thrilling best-of-three series at 2-1.

Banal is the first mentor to win both NCAA and University Athletic Association of the Philippines men’s basketball titles. He steered the Far Eastern University Tamaraws to the UAAP crown in 2003.

The Red Lions last won the NCAA championship in 1978 with a squad featuring Chito Loyzaga, Frankie Lim and Jayvee Yango. It took them nearly three decades to collect their 12th title in the country’s oldest collegiate league.

“This is for God above all. I’m so very happy and I’m proud of my boys all of them. Thanks God,” a jubilant Banal said later.

On the other hand, PCU came tantalizingly close to winning its second championship after its inaugural plum in 2004, but settled for its second straight runner-up finish.

With 6-foot-8 Nigerian Sam Ekwe neutralized, Aljamal and John Escobal saved the day for the Red Lions, combining for 38 points, 15 of them in the third quarter when they looked set to pull away for good.

The 6-foot-3 Aljamal, who topscored for the Red Lions with 23 points on top of 11 rebounds and 2 steals, was later voted the Most Valuable Player in the finals series.

Escobal finished with 15 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assists, while Alex Angeles made 8 points and 4 rebounds. Ekwe, the season’s MVP and Best Rookie awardee, had 7 points, 18 rebounds and 4 blocked shots.

Jason Castro led the PCU Dolphins with 25 points, followed by Robby David with 10, Beau Belga had 9 points, but the pro-bound Gabby Espinas was held to just 8.

The scores:

SBC (68)—Aljamal 23, Escobal 15, Angeles 8, Ekwe 7, Menor 5, Evangelista 4, Maggay 2, Hermida 2, Gamalinda 2, Tecson 0, Taganas 0.

PCU (67)—Castro 25, David 10, Belga 9, Espinas 8, Navarro 7, Graham 4, Garrido 2, Amparado 2, Chien 0, McCoy 0, Santos 0, Vidal 0.

Quarterscores: 15-19; 36-30; 61-44; 68-67.

Mang_Roger
09-25-2006, 04:29 PM

Oops sorry for pinching a nerve. I should have known better than to argue with a person who posts like he was holding a celphone.

Anyway, I can refer a good anger management class if you want to.

Think of happy thoughts ;D

animo_92
09-25-2006, 11:14 PM
congrats to all bedans from a fellow bedan all the way from alabang. :D

chinky_06
09-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Congrats din!!!! from a fellow bedan from alabang!!! hehehe!

luranski
09-26-2006, 10:45 PM
congrats din... hehe