PDA

View Full Version : Devance is PBL Unity Cup MVP

gameface_one
06-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Devance is Unity Cup MVP

First posted 03:09am (Mla time) June 11, 2006
By Jasmine W. Payo
Inquirer

Editor's Note: Published on page A26 of the June 11, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

IT was quite obvious that Fil-Am Joe Devance was one of the reasons why Toyota Otis has gone from worst to first.

But when Devance bagged the Most Valuable Player plum in the PBL Unity Cup yesterday, he made it clear that the turnaround didn’t happen overnight.

Quite humbly, the 6-foot-7 center admitted he needed time to adjust in his debut in the last conference.

“The guys in Toyota Otis, they’re the real MVP. Without them I won’t be here,” said Devance, who averaged 14.5 points, 9.2 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.2 blocks and led the Sparks to the best record in the elimination round.

A recruit from University of Texas-El Paso, Devance garnered 443.28 points (293.46 statistical points, 149.82 player-media votes) to also lead the members of the PBL First Team that had Magnolia Fil-Am Kelly Williams, who was second in the MVP balloting.

After averaging 17.3 points, 12.8 rebounds, 1.4 assists, the high-flying Williams collected 357.58 points (322.27 statistical points, 35.31 player-media votes).

Rain or Shine forward Jojo Tangkay, the MVP of the last conference, Hapee-PCU’s Jason Castro and Granny Goose’s JR Quinahan joined the two Fil-Americans in the Mythical Five.

Magnolia’s Arwind Santos and Rain or Shine’s Marvin Ortiguerra led the second team, along with Montana cagers Alex Compton, Al Magpayo and Ken Bono.

Larry Rodriguez, Montana’s new recruit from the Philippine Maritime Institute, bagged the Fantastic Freshman award.

As the most improved player this conference, Bono earned the Quantum Leap citation.

Other awardees included Granny Goose’s Jireh Ibañes as the Defensive Stopper, Toyota Otis guard JV Casio as the True Gentleman and Harbour Centre’s Joseph Yeo as the Fan Favorite.

Harbour Centre’s LA Tenorio received the Academic All-Star award, while TeleTech mentor Jerry Codinera was honored with the Quotable Coach citation.

gameface_one
06-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Devance is PBL MVP
mb.com.ph

By REY C. LACHICA

SOMETIMES BEING simple but versatile can be more effective than a flashy and explosive one.

That’s exactly the case of Toyota Otis’ Joe Calvin Devance as he easily won the coveted Most Valuable Player plum over two of the league’s prolific scorers yesterday in the 2006 PBL Unity Cup at the Olivarez Sports Center.

The 6-foot-7 center who played for University of Texas in NCAA First Division tallied 443.28 points behind his brilliant all-around performance to become the newest member of the elite circle of MVP winners.

Devance, who once dreamed of becoming an FBI agent someday, beat out Magnolia Ice Cream’s Kelly Williams and former MVP winner Jojo Tangkay of Rain or Shine for the award he did not expect to win easily.

"Wow, it’s great. Honestly, I did not expect to win the award but I have to thank my teammates for helping win the award," said Devance, whose mother, Mae, hails from Escalante, Negros Occidental.

Devance is averaging 14.5 points, 9.2 rebounds and a .5 assists going into Game 2 of their best-of-5 title series with Harbour Centre.

"I will share this award with my Mom and Toyota teammates," said Devance, whose gritty effort helped Toyota Otis secure a berth in the finals — their first-ever since joining the country’s premier amateur basketball league two years back.

But his MVP plum would mean nothing for amiable Fil-Am unless Toyota Otis wins the title, saying: "For me, winning a championship is more important than winning an individual award."

Though he finished only second in the statistics worth 293.46 points, his runaway 149.82 points in the players and media votes was enough for him to win the award. Williams, who topped the stats sheet with 322.27, managed only 35.31 points in the players and media votes to finish second with 357.58 points.

Tangkay, who won the highest individual accolade last year, wound up third with 330.71.

Aside from winning the MVP award, Devance also heads the Mythical First Five along with Williams, Tangkay, Granny Goose Tortillos’ JR Quinahan and Hapee-PCU’s Jason Castro.

"I’m proud of Joe, he really worked hard in this conference," said Toyota Otis coach Louie Alas. "He’s hard-working and easy to deal with."

With the MVP award, Devance boosted his stock for the coming PBA draft pick. He’s likely to be named among the top picks, perhaps the No. 1.

Magnolia’s Arwind Santos, also a former MVP, leads the Second Mythical Five that includes Rain or Shine’s Marvin Ortiguerra and Montana’s combo of Alex Compton, Al Magpayo and Ken Bono.

Also cited by league were Montana’s Larry Rodriguez (Fantastic Freshman), Granny Goose’s Jireh Ibanes (Defensive Stopper), Toyota’s JV Casion (True Gentleman), Granny Goose’s Alfie Grijaldo (Instant Impact), Ken Bono (Quantum Leap), Harbour’s LA Tenorio (Academic All-Star).

As expected Harbour Centre’s Joseph Yeo emerged as the league’s most popular player with rookie coach Jerry Codiñera of TeleTech winning the Quotable Coach Award.

fujima04
11-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Nasaan na nga pala si Joe Devance ngayon? Bumalik ba siya sa States?