PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to BJ Manalo?

true.blue
05-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Where is he now? Was he ever contracted by Purefoods as a practice player? Is he still playing hoops somewhere?

5FootCarrot
05-25-2006, 11:29 AM
The only question I have a chance of answering is the second one.

I seem to recall hearing that BJ, who went higher than Larry Fonacier in the draft, did not get signed. I don't think he even made it as a practice player.

At any rate, he's got an education and AFAIK is also quite active in outreach activities so chances are good that he's successfully building a life for himself outside of basketball.

toti_mendiola
05-25-2006, 12:38 PM
BJ was invited by a charismatic group in my workplace to be an inspirational/motivational speaker the topic ,"How to be a good Basketball Player" originally scheduled last friday May 19 but BJ begged off two days prior to the date. I wonder why?*

shyboy
05-25-2006, 01:28 PM
I think I saw his name mentioned in the papers this summer helping out in one of the basketball clinics being conducted around town.

kryptonite
05-26-2006, 11:22 PM
I think BJ Manalo is a promising basketball player if he perseveres enough. He should not give up his hope of one day playing in the PBA. He should remember that Welcoat has been accepted to take the place of Shell in the PBA, so there are slots available. He could've joined the Welcoat team in the PBL to increase his chances. I'm a fan of his that's why I want him to continue playing.

Mighty_Alumnus
06-16-2006, 10:25 PM
He didn't sign with purefoods because his agent said not to.

bchoter
06-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Wow. Dondon Monteverde must have something up his sleeves or he's just plain stoopid. With BJ's history of injuries and long layoff one would take an offer from a PBA team as manna from heaven. Or maybe Monteverde has another movie in mind.

true.blue
06-22-2006, 08:59 PM
If he signed up with Purefoods, he could've had a chance to be elevated to the playing roster last season. Gregorio didn't use Artadi because he was too erratic. BJ could've taken his place especially since Red Bull was trapping and Purefoods didn't have a true point guard other Billones and the benched Artadi.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-23-2006, 01:11 PM
If he signed up with Purefoods, he could've had a chance to be elevated to the playing roster last season.* Gregorio didn't use Artadi because he was too erratic.* BJ could've taken his place especially since Red Bull was trapping and Purefoods didn't have a true point guard other Billones and the benched Artadi.

And another thing to add, BJ has a high chance of dislodging Artadi in the Purefoods lineup. I guess Artadi's only advantage is his speed. BJ has the advantage when it comes to decision making and offensive capabilities. Defensively, I think advantage still goes to BJ.

nel
06-23-2006, 02:14 PM
We all agree that BJ has the skills and smarts to make it to the PBA. Whether he still wants to is another story, though, as he's just gotten married and he may now have a different direction he wants to pursue in his life. The longer he is away from competition, the smaller the chances that he will get to play in the PBA. He's not even playing in the PBL, so his gametime fitness is questionable. I guess the only way he can still get a shot at a slot in a team is if he becomes a practice player, or returns to the PBL for a year.

easter
06-24-2006, 04:34 PM
BJ Manalo has attained a higher calling han pro basketball. In one of our worship services at Christ Commission Fellowship (CCF Alabang), BJ Manalo testified that he isn't playing pro anymore even though there are offers. He wants to dedicate to God by going full time at the sports ministry of CCF.

Kudos to him.* :)

kryptonite
06-25-2006, 02:30 AM
He will always be known as a legend of Ateneo HS basketball. Good Luck to him.

pio_valenz
06-26-2006, 08:29 PM
I did hear that BJ worked out with Purefoods after getting drafted, but he reportedly had trouble learning the plays, which was one reason Gregorio didn't sign him. Kind of surprising to hear that considering I've always thought he had a high basketball I.Q. Personally, I think he's more talented than Topex Robinson or even Mark Macapagal, to name two PBA point guards who weren't exactly high draft picks. Oh well, if he has found fulfillment serving the Almighty then I'm happy for him. But he'll always be a "what-could-have-been" player in my book.

Out_Of_The_Blue
07-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Last saw BJ with the Athletes In Action Team when they played with Ateneo in Moro last month. BJ didn't play though.

Paul of Bataan
07-11-2006, 01:59 PM
I heard he's now a pastor who specializes in the youth and campus ministries. all the best, BJ.

Sam Miguel
07-11-2006, 09:40 PM
BJ Manalo, do the hoops world a favor and come back to active play. You were one hell of a player once, and I saw you last in a Granny Goose (?) uniform and you still had a lot of game.

toti_mendiola
07-13-2006, 01:48 PM
BJ was invited by a charismatic group in my workplace to be an inspirational/motivational speaker the topic ,"How to be a good Basketball Player" originally scheduled last friday May 19 but BJ begged off two days prior to the date. I wonder why?*

This will finally push through tomorrow though the heavy rains could spoil this again, but i am looking forward to this :) so i could ask him his opinion relative to his career and his former alma maters.

laventana
07-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Played a recreational pick up game recently. He gained alot of weight, is very slow, walks up and down the court, and is a shell of the athletic specimen I used to play with when he was high school. Even his deadly shooting hand from his Green Archer days is quite off. It looks like he has moved on to other things outside of competitive bball and will not be doing PBL or PBA. GOod for him. Wish him all the best.

Buttah Like Parkay
08-10-2006, 03:04 PM
But he'll always be a "what-could-have-been" player in my book

Yup. What a waste of talent.

But then again, to each his own and i guess he's happy with what he's doing now so you can't fault him for that

atenista_comm
08-17-2006, 01:21 AM
BJ Manalo is very much happy nowadays. Seriously. :)

jembengzon
08-17-2006, 10:52 PM
had a chance to talk to BJ in fitness first in eastwood.* he's moved on from basketball and is married with a three month old daughter (?), is a full-time missionary, and very happy. while basketball had served him well to get to where he is, he obviously knows that there is another plan for him and is at peace leaving that part of his life behind.* during the recent scrimmage game of AIA-ADMU (where he was with the AIA, athletes as support), all he could say was "taga-pulot nalang po ako ng mga bola nila."* :)

wish you the best BJ, from our clan

airmax
08-24-2006, 11:13 PM
sayang ang galing pa naman nito dati.

arf_arf
12-25-2006, 07:39 AM
basta...ang masasabi ko lng...mag MTB Ang saya saya! nlng sya

welshmair
11-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Where is he now?* Was he ever contracted by Purefoods as a practice player?* Is he still playing hoops somewhere?

Although matagal na itong nakasulat po dito, i just want you to know that bj manalo is now a missionary (a staff of campus crusade for christ)..kuya bj is very happy right now in truly serving the Lord. He still has not forgotten the field of basketball because he has decided to reach the young athletes for Christ..

amdgc82
12-11-2007, 05:56 AM
http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/12112007/sports010.html

Ex-La Salle star peps up Pinoy athletes in SEAG
By Jun Lomibao
Editor
NAKHON RATCHASIMA—Remember BJ Manalo, the former De La Salle Green Archer star?

Manalo is here in the 24th Southeast Asian Games with his wife Diane and their daughter and brothers Jose “Totie” Andes and Hans Pe as spiritual counsel primarily of the men’s basketball team.

“We are here as sports chaplains,” said Andes, “from the Athletes in Action [AIA]. But it is not only the men’s basketball team but the other athletes as well.”

Using sports as their platform for spiritual upliftment of athletes, Pe said: “We want to help develop the total athlete … not only physically, but mentally and especially spiritually.”

“What we primarily do is motivate them spiritually. We do counseling, we talk to them either individually or as a team,” explained Andes.

They came here upon the invitation of Philippine Basketball League commissioner Chino Trinidad. They, however, have also already counseled the fencing, athletics and beach volleyball teams.

Counseling in major sporting events is nothing new to Andes. He has been in four Olympics starting from Barcelona in 1992 and has also attended the Asian Games and previous SEA Games.

“Perhaps it is not only being spiritual, but sports is in my system and in my heart,” said Andes, who narrated to the BusinessMirror that his father picked Jose for his first name after the late Jose Sumalde, who won his second straight cycling Tour in April of 1965, the year he was born.

easter
12-11-2007, 09:33 AM
;) ^ Great News!

bikes
12-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Im not sure about this whole thing but am I right that BJ Manalo transferred from La Salle to Ateneo when he can still play in the UAAP? Then why didn't he play for the Eagles?

izon
06-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Im not sure about this whole thing but am I right that BJ Manalo transferred from La Salle to Ateneo when he can still play in the UAAP? Then why didn't he play for the Eagles?

BJ went to La Salle after playing HS ball for Ateneo. I think he was eligible to play for Ateneo Seniors for one season but there was a rumor that one of the players in the Blue Squad made sure that he was not to be accepted.

A-boy97
07-03-2008, 02:48 PM

BJ went to La Salle after playing HS ball for Ateneo.* I think he was eligible to play for Ateneo Seniors for one season but there was a rumor that* one of the players in the Blue Squad made sure that he was not to be accepted.

mala-teleserye ek ek ang kwento ng basketball career ni BJ. He is arguably one of the most colorful figures in Ateneo and La Salle basketball. In hindsight, I think BJ's move to dlsu was one of the factors that revitalized the Ateneo basketball program.

There are many "supposed" reasons why he went to dlsu for college basketball, same goes why he didn't play for Ateneo in his last eligible year.

I heard, he is happy and at peace with his life now so good for him. I am happy for you! I also pray that all Ateneans have found peace with the entire BJ Manalo issue.

For me, I will always remember him as the first basketball player younger than me that I idolized. Hayop mga moves niya in high school, as early as his sophomore year, I felt, as most people did, he was ready to be a force to reckon with in the senior's division.

Talent and skills wise, the junior high school BJ Manalo was better, than the senior high school Enrico Villanueva and Wesley Gonzales.. ;) Sa aking pananaw lang yon ha! ;D

easter
02-12-2009, 03:38 PM
A different ball game for BJ Manalo
http://www.ccf.org.ph/2008/10/a-different-ball-game-for-bj-manalo/

8)