PDA

View Full Version : Yanga Is New Commissioner of the UAAP

gameface_one
05-25-2006, 02:43 AM
Yanga named new UAAP commish

The Philippine Star 05/25/2006

Elmer Yanga, a former team manager in the Philippine Basketball Association, was recently appointed commissioner of Season 69 of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP).

Yanga, who worked as a former executive for the RFM franchise for almost four decades, was formally introduced to the new set of board members chaired by Luz Sta. Ana of host University of the East Tuesday.

The board is expected to make an official announcement of Yanga’s appointment soon.

"Yes, he was introduced to us as the UAAP’s new commissioner yesterday (Tuesday)," said Ateneo board representative Ricky Palou.

The amiable Yanga will take over the position left by Joe Lipa, who is now coach of University of the Philippines which he led to its one and only UAAP title exactly two decades ago.

Former UAAP commissioner Edmundo "Ato" Badolato, who is coach of perennial national high school champion San Beda, was also named Yanga’s assistant.

The two will handle the technical aspect of the basketball competition, which will be participated in by only seven schools since De La Salle was suspended for a year for fielding in two ineligible cagers during the 2004-2005 seasons. — Joey Villar

gameface_one
05-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Yanga named UAAP commish
mb.com.ph

FORMER PHILIPPINE Basketball Association team manager Elmer Yanga was named commissioner for the 69th season of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP).

Ateneo board representative Ricky Palou said yesterday that the former executive of the RFM franchise was presented to the new board members last Tuesday with former UAAP Commissioner Edmundo "Ato" Badolato as the Deputy Commissioner.

Yanga will fill the shoes left by Joe Lipa, who will now handle the University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons in the league.

An alumnus of host University of the East, Yanga said decision-makings will always remain firm and fair as how it has been practiced in the collegiate league.

The new season fires off this July with only seven schools in attendance after the UAAP Board suspended De La Salle University for one year.

The Board, led by UE’s Luz Sta. Ana, is expected to make the formal announcement soon.

Meanwhile, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has appointed former PBA Commissioner Jun Bernardino as its commissioner.

The 82nd season of the oldest collegiate league in the country, which will be hosted by College of St. Benilde, is expected to kick off late this June. — Kristel SATUMBAGA

5FootCarrot
05-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the info, I was wondering about the new commish. I've heard of Mr. Yanga, but know nothing about what he can bring to the table. Any info on his leadership style?

(And isn't Ricky Palou the head of the UAAP technical committee and not the Ateneo rep to the UAAP Board? ???)

LION
05-25-2006, 09:12 AM
^ RFM products? Swift ham? :)

Seriously, I am surprised why he was chosen. He's got tons of experience managing a PBA ballclub no doubt. But being a commissioner?

bchoter
05-25-2006, 10:20 AM
NC has Jun Bernardino. I was expecting somebody at par with the former PBA Kume.

In one inuman somebody mentioned Tommy Manotoc, himself a former PBA coach and official, since DLSU is out of it this season.

shyboy
05-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Elmer Yanga's experience in recent years is purely on team management and may not be really suitable for a commissioner position. I'd rather have Chot Reyes, Joel Banal, Eric Altamirano or Lim Eng Beng. Ex-PBA commissioner Rudy Salud is also a good option if he's available. The NCAA is one up on this one after getting Jun Bernardino.

oca
05-26-2006, 07:53 AM
Elmer Yanga's experience in recent years is purely on team management and may not be really suitable for a commissioner position. I'd rather have Chot Reyes, Joel Banal, Eric Altamirano or Lim Eng Beng. Ex-PBA commissioner Rudy Salud is also a good option if he's available. The NCAA is one up on this one after getting Jun Bernardino.

^ RFM products? Swift ham? :)

Seriously, I am surprised why he was chosen. He's got tons of experience managing a PBA ballclub no doubt. But being a commissioner?

That is why they hired Senor Badolato as his assistant. Coach Ato had previously served as UAAP Commissioner. Kaya malamang "titular comm" ang labas ni Yanga, at yung assistant niya ang siyang magpapatakbo ng liga.

5FootCarrot
05-26-2006, 07:57 AM
No offense to Mr. Yanga, but if he's going to just be a "paper Commissioner," why didn't the UAAP just get Coach Ato to serve (again) as Commissioner outright? Is there a UAAP rule against that?

Just curious. ???

Kid Cubao
05-26-2006, 09:46 AM
maybe señor ato begged off for any number of reasons. ako naman, i'm keeping an open mind about mr. yanga's appointment as UAAP commissioner for season 69. kahit papano binibigyan ko ng halaga yung mga taon nya sa RFM franchise, when he put the pieces together to create one of the best pro basketball teams in the early to mid-90s. he is a basketball guy, after all. he just does things in his own unassuming but effective way. of course, being UAAP commissioner shall present him with new and even more daunting challenges, so let's see how he will handle the heat.

oca
05-26-2006, 11:16 PM
^
I don't think Coach Ato begged off from the top post.

Fact is, during the last National Students C'ship at RMC, narinig ko yung isa sa mga assistants niya nagsabi, if Coach Ato will become Comm of the UAAP, he will not coach the Red Cubs or avoid direct participation, in any capacity, in the basketball competition of the NCAA.

That was a clear indication that Badolato was ready to take on the job.

With him as Yanga's right hand, the UAAP community should not worry too much.

keempee
05-27-2006, 06:28 AM
maybe ue wanted to give the job to one of their own? he has an experienced assistant naman.

francis_arnaiz
06-01-2006, 11:14 PM
ok lang na si yanga na lang sa uaap and the more experienced kume bernardino to ncaa. they need someone like him in the rumbles of NC. kaya lang baka ma-stroke uli ang mama. kawawa naman. and since walang ateneo-la salle, ngingiti ngiti lang yang si yanga at wala masyado babantayan.

gameface_one
06-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Yanga vows fair officiating in UAAP
abs-cbnnews.com

Newly appointed commissioner Elmer Yanga on Tuesday vowed to promote a "fair and just" officiating in the 69th University Athletic Association of the Philippines basketball season.

"That’s my mandate. And we will do our best to see to it that there is fair and just officiating during the games," said Yanga during the weekly Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum at the Pantalan Restaurant in Manila.

Yanga, the amiable former RFM Corp. official and a prominent basketball figure in the country, was chosen by host University of the East to serve as league commissioner.

He graced the forum sponsored by Pagcor and Mayor Lito Atienza of Manila with Luz Santa Ana and Bren Perez of UE, and deputy commissioner Ato Badolato.

Santa Ana is this year’s UAAP board president while Perez will serve as treasurer.

"The success of the basketball tournament this season will depend largely on the support of all the members and players in the league," said Yanga, a UE alumnus who earned his degree in Business Administration, major in Accounting, in 1965, passing the CPA board exams the following year.

nel
06-09-2006, 06:08 PM
The term usually used to describe Yanga is "amiable". Well, with the hot blooded competition in the UAAP, Yanga will have to be more than amiable - he will have to demonstrate that he has the backbone to stand his ground and do what is right against the various interest groups who will push their own agenda. Nothing against Yanga, but Coach Ato has had prior experience as the UAAP commish, and should already have a good idea of how the UAAP works. During his terms (I think he served twice), I don't remember anything negative being said about his stewardship.

easter
07-11-2006, 09:11 AM
and since walang ateneo-la salle, ngingiti ngiti lang yang si yanga at wala masyado babantayan.

:D pangiti-ngiti talaga!

Howard the Duck
07-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Somebody has to ask this:
Who's older: Yanga or Jun B?

spinach
07-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Yanga is 69 while Jun B is 82.

Seriously, I think that Yanga is older than Jun B. Per various newspaper reports, Yanga graduated in the mid 60's while Jun Bernardino graduated in the late 70's. They only appear to be of the same age because Yanga is always smiling while Jun B was stricken by heart ailments in the last decade or so.

It really pays to be happy all the time.