PDA

View Full Version : SOFTCORE PLAYERS

LION
05-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Let us discuss the other end of the spectrum.* We have nominated our hardcore players and remembered their patented macho moves.* How about the soft players who refused to bang bodies?* This thread is dedicated to them.

To start the ball rolling, I willl mention Bogs Adornado.* He is the quintessential gentleman player.* His limp-wristed style of shooting however convinced not a few basketball afficionados to believe that he is not actually a gentleman.* * :o*

Zandro "Jun" Limpot is also worth mentioning.* His trademark move* is to post up, dribble and try to shake off his man only to settle for a fade away jumper in the end.*

paralusi
05-24-2006, 03:43 PM
personally, i wouldn't call a three-time MVP, who was a vital cog for crispa, and played against jawo and toyota, a softcore player. but, that's just me.

LION
05-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks for posting your opinion paralusi. Softcore if I may clarify for purposes of this thread only refers to the style of play as opposed to rugged or rough.

We labeled a lot of players as hardcores even though they have not won a single championship, e.g., Barkley and Ewing, or were never vital parts of their team, e.g., Jay Mendoza and Dennis Abbatuan when they played in the PBA.

toti_mendiola
05-24-2006, 03:57 PM
would softcore equates to finesse?

Back to topic.

For being a behemoth, Feihl could have made minced meat of his defenders if hed been just rough though i doubt it if he had the physical capacity to do so. To the well built id brand HRAbak as soft core dead limp.

LION
05-24-2006, 04:01 PM
^ Softcore = finesse also.

MonL
05-24-2006, 04:34 PM
My two cent's contribution:

Abet Gutierrez, Tanduay- Silky smooth forward, most effective with his reverse layups.
Rudy Lalota, RTO/SMB, Beer Hausen - Gangling center forward, notable shot is his one-handed lefty jumper.
Rodolfo "Ompong" Segura,Toyota- More effective as a receiver on the break after receiving a pass from the hardcores on his team. He can afford to be soft. Puro maton ang kasama niya ( Jawo, King, the Reynosos, Boy Clariño) ;D
Nick Bulaong, Toyota- Big guy contented with jacking up jumpers from medium range.

ESCALERA JR.
05-24-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't know what softcore means, but to describe one player, i think Mark Telan would be a fitting example of this...you know... medyo malamya ang dating. Para ba hindi pwede isabay ng pukpuhan sa loob. EJ Feihl is another one. Si Giovanni Pineda...Shawn Bradly of the NBA. Am i right...

toti_mendiola
05-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Mark Telan used to be a post up player and a physical one too before he was shipped to Talk & Text. Talk & Text molded him and made him play into a high post, perimeter shooter like Vic Pablo. A move that would make it easier for Taulava to dominate inside. A Telan high post will make his defender go out of the paint, drawing a one on one inside the paint between Taulava and his defender.

bchoter
05-24-2006, 06:18 PM
I guess we can classify them at either the finesse players (not necessarily a negative connotation of the word) or the malamyas (and all the negatives associated with being soft)

The best finesse player should be Don Ramon himself.

On the negative side, Marlou Aquino should be the ringleader for these type of players

Agent 008
05-24-2006, 06:23 PM
When I saw the topic, only Marlou Aquino came to mind. He is a finesse player, yes, but a more appropriate description for this guy would be "softee".

Out_Of_The_Blue
05-24-2006, 06:39 PM
My good friend joescoundrel will not like this but I think among the current Ateneo players (Team B included), Jobe Nkemakolam could be considered both a finesse and a softcore player. Malaki katawan. Mataas tumalon. Wala lang kaangas angas. Parang takot masaktan.

kryptonite
05-25-2006, 01:21 AM
Softcore Players, in my opinion, are players who shy away from contact, does not mix it up under the basket, are thrown off their rhythm when rugged defenders are thrown into their path. Likes to shoot the jumpshot, fadeaway jumpers.

Marlou Aquino, maybe considered as such, but I think he just plays without intensity. He just goes thru the motions of playing and picking up his paycheck at the end of the month.

Bogs Adornado, a softcore player? I don't know...He is known as a perimeter player, because he is just playing with his strength that is to shoot from the outside not because he is soft.

Maybe an example of a softcore player is Marvin Ortiguera, malambot maglaro talaga. Likes to shoot the fadeaway pero sablay naman. He can't guard the lowpost effectively. Another softcore is Yancy De Ocampo, a bigman who can't guard the lowpost.

kryptonite
05-25-2006, 01:30 AM
I know a lot of softcore players. The bigmen of La Salle in recent years: Manny Ramos, Mike Gavino, Carlo Sharma, Mark Benitez, Vince San Diego, Christian Cabatu, and PJ Walsham. Don't take me wrong but I'm from La Salle. I'm just not a fan of these so-called bigmen of the Archers. "Lampa" sila. Mabuti na lang Matangkad sila at naging basketball players. Mas gusto ko pa si Bonel Balingit sa kanila e. Si Balingit may effort maglaro. No wonder there just benchwarmers presently in their careers. At most they are projects projected to rot...hehehe.

LION
05-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Softcore therefore does not necessarily connote the negative. It can be positive too, depending on the player's position and if the style of play is effective and produces the desired results.

Examples of the softcore/finesse type of players - Mon Fernandez, Bogs Adornado, Vergel Meneses, Allan Caidic, Renren Ritualo.

Examples of real softcores, i.e., - Marlou Aquino, Jun Limpot, EJ Feihl, M. Hrabak, etc.

Considering the above definitions, how would you classify Samboy Lim? He always avoided physical contact with his acrobatic shots but he also played with a lot of heart and daredevil attitude.

MonL
05-25-2006, 07:39 AM
Considering the above definitions, how would you classify Samboy Lim?* He always avoided physical contact with his acrobatic shots but he also played with a lot of heart and daredevil attitude.

His daredevil drives put him more at risk. Nakatikim na nga iyan ng isang matindi kay Jolas. No one ever experienced that fall he suffered. The surgical scars on both of his knees AND shoulders is the badge of a hardcore. Nope, soft he is not.

LION
05-25-2006, 07:43 AM
^ His battle scars are his medals of valor.

Lucas Palaka
05-25-2006, 08:02 AM
para sa akin a softcore player is anyone who's afraid to hustle, unwilling to make the extra effort, and refuses to rise to the occasion. a softcore player is one who'll make all kinds of excuses even when it's not necessary.

for me a softcore player is like marlou aquino who thinks about nothing but his guaranteed paycheck and incentives but isn't putting in the work and assuming the enormous responsibilities that justify his fat contract. there's also jun limpot who's become the biggest defensive liability among big men today and a crybaby who'd take a game off because his feet smell funny that day.

LION
05-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Looks like Marlou Aquino and Jun Limpot are the top candidates for the softcore players ever hehehe.

shyboy
05-25-2006, 09:15 AM
I know a lot of softcore players. The bigmen of La Salle in recent years: Manny Ramos, Mike Gavino, Carlo Sharma, Mark Benitez, Vince San Diego, Christian Cabatu, and PJ Walsham. Don't take me wrong but I'm from La Salle. I'm just not a fan of these so-called bigmen of the Archers. "Lampa" sila. Mabuti na lang Matangkad sila at naging basketball players. Mas gusto ko pa si Bonel Balingit sa kanila e. Si Balingit may effort maglaro. No wonder there just benchwarmers presently in their careers. At most they are projects projected to rot...hehehe.

I have to agree with your evaluation on La Salle's big guys as "softcore," except for Carlo Sharma. Just ask Rich Alvarez. hehehe

LION
05-25-2006, 09:19 AM
^ Maybe you can hire someone like Freddie Abuda to teach your big guys. Pero amin na si Freddie. Huwag na ninyong sulutin. :)

I heard Noli Locsin is available.

bchoter
05-25-2006, 09:53 AM
^ That was Jerwin Gaco's ticket to La Salle

Mateen Cleaves
05-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Softcore therefore does not necessarily connote the negative. It can be positive too, depending on the player's position and if the style of play is effective and produces the desired results.

Examples of the softcore/finesse type of players - Mon Fernandez, Bogs Adornado, Vergel Meneses, Allan Caidic, Renren Ritualo.

Considering the above definitions, how would you classify Samboy Lim? He always avoided physical contact with his acrobatic shots but he also played with a lot of heart and daredevil attitude.

Samboy went acrobatic to avoid getting blocked. But he did not shy away from contact. Similarly, El Presidente knew how to use finesse inside. In crunch time, he didn't settle for a jumper when it was important to get two points by any means necessary.

However, I would agree with your classification of Bogs, Caidic, and Ritualo.

Meneses is in-between. He could have been in the same class as Samboy. Except that he didn't always give it his all.

Ghostrider
05-25-2006, 10:57 AM
I agree with most of the observations here.

Further I would like to nominate the following gentlemen, for your consideration:

1. Ed Cordero;
2. Nandy Garcia;
3. Peter Aguilar; and, of more recent vein,
4. Allan Sasan

Since the immortal Dennis Abbatuan has been mentioned here as antithesis of softcore, I'd also like to remember Pol Herrera (Toyota), Johnny Revilla and Itoy Esguerra as pioneers of the hardcore playing style.

5FootCarrot
05-25-2006, 11:32 AM
1.* Ed Cordero;
2.* Nandy Garcia;
3.* Peter Aguilar; and, of more recent vein,
4.* Allan Sasan
Hey, Ghost. Sorry if this sounds like a hardcore hoops novice's question, but that's what I am, so - are these guys softcore in the "finesse" sense or the "malamya" sense?

bchoter
05-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Softcore therefore does not necessarily connote the negative.* It can be positive too, depending on the player's position and if the style of play is effective and produces the desired results.

Considering the above definitions, how would you classify Samboy Lim?* He always avoided physical contact with his acrobatic shots but he also played with a lot of heart and daredevil attitude.

Meneses is in-between. He could have been in the same class as Samboy. Except that he didn't always give it his all.
You sometimes get the feeling that he's just mailing it in. Sort of what Vince Carter and TMac foolishly admitted in the press

yungha
05-25-2006, 03:56 PM
in my opinion, from Ateneo:

rainier sison - his idea of playing tough D is waving his hands furiously in front of opponent's face
paul tanchi - well-built and well-sculpted physique but totally averse to rugged and physical play. poor defender. poor big-game mental toughness. masyado kasing mabait.
paolo bugia - softie
jc intal - tendency to disappear against big-time opponents like feu and la salle. has the talent and skill to dominate but lacks mental toughness. opponents would tell their players na "isang matinding bangga lang diyan di na uli papasok sa loob yan."

it's possible for players to morph from softcore to hardcore. epok quimpo did it in between the 1st and 2nd rounds of the 2002 season. hope jc does it too for this coming season, when so much is expected from him.

ESCALERA JR.
05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Samboy a "softcore" ? Well i agree with that...he being a softee like having a "soft personality" outside the hardcourt...he actulally is painfully shy in real life. Pag iniinterview, malamya masyado magsalita parang tupa pero pagnaglaro naman ala tigre sa loob ng court. That is why he never completed a season in the PBA without an injury.

kryptonite
05-26-2006, 02:32 AM
SURPRISE!!! The Ultimate Softcore Player....wala na tatalo dito...The Great ROBERT "DUDUT" JAWORSKI!!! Nakapaglaro yan sa PBA dahil sa tatay nya. Mabuti na lang coach ng GSM si Jawo kundi di magiging PBA player si Dudut. Ang alam lang nyang tira, e, puro tres. Takot madikitan ng pawis. Ang tapang nyan lalo na kapag katabi na nya tatay nya. Joke lang...wala magagalit.

kryptonite
05-26-2006, 02:35 AM
Consolation Prize...EJ Feihl. Di makatakbo, ga-PISO kung tumalon, madaling madapa...lampa yata yan e. Ewan ko ba bakit pinag-tyagaan ng mga PBA teams. Walang hustle. Sayang binabayad ng teams sa kanya. Parang "novelty" player.

kryptonite
05-26-2006, 02:40 AM

I have to agree with your evaluation on La Salle's big guys as "softcore," except for Carlo Sharma. Just ask Rich Alvarez. hehehe

Si Carlo Sharma, one game wonder lang yun. Nung game 3 ng 2001 UAAP Finals bet Ateneo and La Salle lang yan nagpakitang gilas. Pagkatapos wala na, kumbaga sa mga tawag sa imports na palpak sa PBA...LEMON OF THE LOT!

LION
05-26-2006, 07:31 AM
SURPRISE!!! The Ultimate Softcore Player....wala na tatalo dito...The Great ROBERT "DUDUT" JAWORSKI!!! Nakapaglaro yan sa PBA dahil sa tatay nya. Mabuti na lang coach ng GSM si Jawo kundi di magiging PBA player si Dudut. Ang alam lang nyang tira, e, puro tres. Takot madikitan ng pawis. Ang tapang nyan lalo na kapag katabi na nya tatay nya. Joke lang...wala magagalit.

BIG J and Dudut - Nepotism in basketball.* How did he justify the inclusion of his son in his team?* And it was so pathetic that the whole team management allowed Big J to do that.

Aba e mas magaling pa maglaro si Jinggoy sa kanya.

shyboy
05-26-2006, 08:47 AM
BIG J and Dudut - Nepotism in basketball.* How did he justify the inclusion of his son in his team?* And it was so pathetic that the whole team management allowed Big J to do that.

There's this commonly used phrase when dealing with such unpopular decisions..."Management Prerogative" ::)

bchoter
05-26-2006, 08:53 AM
^ They were obviously after the opportunity to play both father and son on the court. It would have been historic no mather how pathetic.

Kid Cubao
05-26-2006, 09:28 AM

There's this commonly used phrase when dealing with such unpopular decisions..."Management Prerogative" ::)

the real reason why tatang drafted his namesake is that he got info from the draft day grapevine that other teams were considering picking up dodot for the sole purpose of defending against his father. the irresisitible idea there is they want to find out if he's going to roughhouse his own son in actual PBA action. so rather than let opposing coaches use their late round picks to get jaworksi jr., tatang saw it fit to draft dodot ahead in the first round.

LION
05-26-2006, 11:07 AM
^ That was a very good spin but if that is the case, the Big J should have just advised his son to withdraw from the draft.*

Assuming that the rumor was true, nagkaroon lang naman ng ganung idea yung ibang teams dahil sa pagsali niya sa draft. :)

Ghostrider
05-26-2006, 11:32 AM
1.* Ed Cordero;
2.* Nandy Garcia;
3.* Peter Aguilar; and, of more recent vein,
4.* Allan Sasan
Hey, Ghost. Sorry if this sounds like a hardcore hoops novice's question, but that's what I am, so - are these guys softcore in the "finesse" sense or the "malamya" sense?

These guys were softcore in the "finesse" sense. They would prefer to hang out in the perimeter rather than bang bodies in the paint.

Ed Cordero was highly regarded as a Glowing Goldie but his game was limited to breaking zone defenses, he did not have the athletic nor ball handling ability to be successful in the pro game which employed man to man defenses.

Nandy Garcia was the same as he was an absolute scoring machine (30 ppg) for the Adamson Falcons. He made it to the pros with Ginebra but was released after two (?) uneventful seasons. Like Chester Tolomia, he went back to the PABL where he performed well enough to be recalled to the PBA. However, unlike Tolomia, he wasn't able to make good on his second opportunity.

Peter Aguilar had a wonderful PBA debut with Ginebra/Gordon's scoring twenty points on a variety of perimeter jumpers. Unfortunately, that turned out to be his career game as opponents quickly figured out his playing style. for the rest of his career, he turned out to be a Matt Bullard/Brad Lohaus type. An outside shooting big man designed to draw away the opposing center to the perimeter.

Allen Sasan, if I'm not mistaken was the designated 3 point shooter of Alaska. A Steve Kerr/Steve Alford type who was strictly a jump shooter who could not create his own shot.

Kid Cubao
05-26-2006, 01:00 PM
^ That was a very good spin but if that is the case, the Big J should have just advised his son to withdraw from the draft.*

Assuming that the rumor was true, nagkaroon lang naman ng ganung idea yung ibang teams dahil sa pagsali niya sa draft. :)

like i said, nalaman lang ni tatang hetong balak ng ibang coaches kay dudot on draft day itself. another thing, i don't think jaworski sr., or any other father for that matter, would ever advise his son to back out from something he put much thought into.

kryptonite
05-26-2006, 11:13 PM
BIG J and Dudut - Nepotism in basketball. How did he justify the inclusion of his son in his team? And it was so pathetic that the whole team management allowed Big J to do that.

the real reason why tatang drafted his namesake is that he got info from the draft day grapevine that other teams were considering picking up dodot for the sole purpose of defending against his father. the irresisitible idea there is they want to find out if he's going to roughhouse his own son in actual PBA action. so rather than let opposing coaches use their late round picks to get jaworksi jr., tatang saw it fit to draft dodot ahead in the first round.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Dodot was picked by Tondena Rum65 with its first pick in the second round of the 1994 Draft. Their first pick in the first round was Noli Locsin. Then picked Jonas Mariano in the 3rd Round and Jun Marzan in the 4th round. Mas magaling ba si Dodot kay Jonas at Marzan? Nung naglaro si Dodot sa Ateneo, parang isang laro lang yata, puro passing lang ginagawa. Puro hype ang ginawa ng Ateneo kay Dodot. Yung younger brother ni Dodot na naglaro sa UP, reserve lang yata or benchwarmer kaya nagalit si Tatang Jawo sa coach ng UP Maroons...hehehe.

LION
05-27-2006, 08:48 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but Dodot was picked by Tondena Rum65 with its first pick in the second round of the 1994 Draft. Their first pick in the first round was Noli Locsin.* Then picked Jonas Mariano in the 3rd Round and Jun Marzan in the 4th round. Mas magaling ba si Dodot kay Jonas at Marzan? Nung naglaro si Dodot sa Ateneo, parang isang laro lang yata, puro passing lang ginagawa. Puro hype ang ginawa ng Ateneo kay Dodot. Yung younger brother ni Dodot na naglaro sa UP, reserve lang yata or benchwarmer kaya nagalit si Tatang Jawo sa coach ng UP Maroons...hehehe.

That's Ryan Jaworski, the gun-toting son of the Big J. The last time I read about him, he was involved in a gun-shooting incident in the Greenhills area.* Prior to that, he was seen shooting big rats with his M-16 also somewhere in that area.* But years before these incidents, I vaguely remember that he was drated in the PABL after his UP days but the Big J got mad at Ryan's team because he was just being paid a "paltry" sum of P30,000.00 a month.*

kryptonite
05-27-2006, 10:37 PM
BIG J and Dudut - Nepotism in basketball. How did he justify the inclusion of his son in his team? And it was so pathetic that the whole team management allowed Big J to do that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Dodot was picked by Tondena Rum65 with its first pick in the second round of the 1994 Draft. Their first pick in the first round was Noli Locsin. Then picked Jonas Mariano in the 3rd Round and Jun Marzan in the 4th round. Mas magaling ba si Dodot kay Jonas at Marzan? Nung naglaro si Dodot sa Ateneo, parang isang laro lang yata, puro passing lang ginagawa. Puro hype ang ginawa ng Ateneo kay Dodot. Yung younger brother ni Dodot na naglaro sa UP, reserve lang yata or benchwarmer kaya nagalit si Tatang Jawo sa coach ng UP Maroons...hehehe.

That's Ryan Jaworski, the gun-toting son of the Big J. The last time I read about him, he was involved in a gun-shooting incident in the Greenhills area. Prior to that, he was seen shooting big rats with his M-16 also somewhere in that area. But years before these incidents, I vaguely remember that he was drated in the PABL after his UP days but the Big J got mad at Ryan's team because he was just being paid a "paltry" sum of P30,000.00 a month.

Grabe, ang lakas din naman ng fighting spirit ni Jawo parang napakagaling ng anak nya...sino kaya mas magaling, si Dodot o si Ryan, mas magaling.......sa kainan....hehehe!!!

pio_valenz
05-29-2006, 09:35 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but Dodot was picked by Tondena Rum65 with its first pick in the second round of the 1994 Draft. Their first pick in the first round was Noli Locsin.* Then picked Jonas Mariano in the 3rd Round and Jun Marzan in the 4th round. Mas magaling ba si Dodot kay Jonas at Marzan? Nung naglaro si Dodot sa Ateneo, parang isang laro lang yata, puro passing lang ginagawa. Puro hype ang ginawa ng Ateneo kay Dodot. Yung younger brother ni Dodot na naglaro sa UP, reserve lang yata or benchwarmer kaya nagalit si Tatang Jawo sa coach ng UP Maroons...hehehe.

To be precise, Dodot was drafted in 1995. EJ Feihl was Tondena's first round draft pick back then. I remember news reports on Dodot's joining the draft quoted him as saying something along hte liens of, "After consulting with my family and friends and thinking about it very carefully, I would like to announce that I have decided to join the PBA." As if the whole country was waiting in bated breath...

kryptonite
05-30-2006, 03:15 AM

To be precise, Dodot was drafted in 1995. EJ Feihl was Tondena's first round draft pick back then. I remember news reports on Dodot's joining the draft quoted him as saying something along hte liens of, "After consulting with my family and friends and thinking about it very carefully, I would like to announce that I have decided to join the PBA." As if the whole country was waiting in bated breath...

Thanks for the correction...anyway, parang bilib na bilib sa sarili na pang-PBA na talga sya...pang-larong mayaman lang naman...kung tumakbo nakalabas ang dibdib pero madali naman madapa...hahahaha.

bchoter
05-30-2006, 09:17 AM
I will add JC Intal until he proves otherwise

Mateen Cleaves
05-30-2006, 10:56 AM
^I have always had the impression that Letran had a hardcore basketball program. Was it just a freak year when Letran High School had softies JC Intal and JR Reyes as their stars? ;D

Lucas Palaka
05-30-2006, 11:14 AM
yes it was a freak year because there were three in that batch--JC intal, JR reyes, and PJ walsham. which means if you don't want to be labeled as a softie, avoid using letter initials as your first name hahahaha!

toti_mendiola
05-30-2006, 11:24 AM
yes it was a freak year because there were three in that batch--JC intal, JR reyes, and PJ walsham. which means if you don't want to be labeled as a softie, avoid using letter initials as your first name hahahaha!

Especially the letter J?
Hope not. Is Escobal using JP or the complete John Paul?
Either way, he is hardcore, doesnt even know the word softie. Pwera lang yung bathroom tissue paper.

MonL
05-30-2006, 11:29 AM

Especially the letter J?
Hope not. Is* Escobal using JP or the complete John Paul?
Either way, he is hardcore, doesnt even know the word softie. Pwera lang yung bathroom tissue paper.

No, he is more known now as PONG. And another one escapes the curse.... :)

LION
05-30-2006, 11:34 AM

Nino Canaleta changed his name to KG Canaleta to remove that softie sound.* *:)

Lucas Palaka
05-30-2006, 11:49 AM
i thought he was called KG canaleta by sporstwriters covering the UAAP beat because of his resemblance to kevin garnett?

LION
05-30-2006, 11:58 AM
i thought he was called KG canaleta by sporstwriters covering the UAAP beat because of his resemblance to kevin garnett?

Am not sure about that. But I agree with you. Letter-initials as first names generally sound softie, e.g., JP, JC, BJ, etc.

shyboy
05-30-2006, 01:18 PM

Am not sure about that.* But I agree with you. Letter-initials as first names generally sound softie, e.g., JP, JC, BJ, etc.

In other ways, you can actually relate BJ as hardcore. ;D

toti_mendiola
05-30-2006, 01:32 PM

Am not sure about that.* But I agree with you. Letter-initials as first names generally sound softie, e.g., JP, JC, BJ, etc.

In other ways, you can actually relate BJ as hardcore.* *;D

BJ sounds relatively like some hardcore porn. My bad.

Maui Roca was an inconsistent softcore during his UAAP years, sometimes he was rough and imposing sometimes you think that he is just posing for the cameras looking good playing pogi basketball.

Lucas Palaka
05-30-2006, 01:38 PM
maui roca is a softie player kasi nga chicken :D

toti_mendiola
05-30-2006, 01:43 PM
maui roca is a softie player kasi nga chicken :D

Oo nga pala. Nag Tropang Trumpo nga pala si Roca.
Chicken at saka Coronia nail polish pa.

Joescoundrel
05-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Softcore, on the positive side. Sa UAAP siguro mga kagaya nina Danny Francisco, Jun Limpot, Marlou Aquino, Ruel Buenaventura and Rysal Castro. These guys were all centers on their teams, a position that traditionally required power and brute strength given the job description i.e. guard the inside, get rebounds, provide intimidation against would-be slashers, get high-percentage shots close to the basket. Yet these guys somehow found a way to get the job done with finesse and smart play. Softcore they may have been but every other coach wished these guys were playing for him instead of the opposition.

kryptonite
05-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Ateneo Blue Eagles' Ford Arao and Martin Quimson...softcore bigmen.

admuhs_upengg
05-30-2006, 11:30 PM

Martin Quimson, definitely NOT softcore, just ask the UE (or was it FEU?) player whom he practically tackled in midair on a breakaway.

5FootCarrot
05-31-2006, 08:22 AM

Martin Quimson, definitely NOT softcore, just ask the UE (or was it FEU?) player whom he practically tackled in midair on a breakaway.
Agreeing with admuhs_upengg on this one. I'm not sure whether I can consider him as truly hardcore, but I don't think Quimson is softcore in the "lamya" sense (and definitely not in the "finesse" sense :P). He does make mistakes, but IMO it's more due to lack of basketball skills than lack of hustle. Also, you've got to hand it to the guy, he can take a hit or dish it out without changing expression.

(I can't remember that midair tackle, but he's sent quite a few guys, including Arwind Santos, flying in his day.)

Joescoundrel
06-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Softcore nga si Quimson pah-re!

joelex
10-03-2006, 02:30 AM
chris tiu, his bro, jai reyes.....to name a few....

bluebruiser90
10-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Allen Sasan, if I'm not mistaken was the designated 3 point shooter of Alaska. A Steve Kerr/Steve Alford type who was strictly a jump shooter who could not create his own shot.

Hardcore na din yan. He can literally take a bullet for the team ;D

Howard the Duck
10-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Si gile superdupersoftcore

5FootCarrot
10-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Amen. I'd like to see him take on someone his own size. Oh, and score a couple of points (preferably against another team ;D).

AnthonyServinio
10-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Amen. I'd like to see him take on someone his own size. Oh, and score a couple of points (preferably against another team ;D).
Melchor Gile is not softcore, once he tried to challenge to whole NCAA champion San Beda Red Lions to a fight during the Father Martin Open last year after their game and both sides congratulating each other. Protecting his own players, Coach Koy Banal scolded Gile by saying "If you don't want to get hurt, play chess!"

Jaco D
10-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Melchor Gile is not softcore, once he tried to challenge to whole NCAA champion San Beda Red Lions to a fight during the Father Martin Open last year after their game and both sides congratulating each other.* Protecting his own players, Coach Koy Banal scolded Gile by saying "If you don't want to get hurt, play chess!"

After the handshakes and everyone just wants to move on?* Isn't his timing a bit way off the mark para magpakitang-angas?

christian
10-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Na starstruck yata kay pong :)

joelex
10-04-2006, 07:26 AM
chris pacana...john arigo...kim valenzuela...manny ramos...ken baracoso..

5FootCarrot
10-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Sorry, Anthony, but challenging the whole world to a fight doesn't make you hardcore in my book, especially when you know that they won't bite. Even if he had taken a swing at Koy Banal ::)

Mel Gile, you've got a long way to go.

LION
10-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Agree with Carrot. Gile takes offense when physical defense is used against him. That is the ultimate softcore for me. Papano pa kaya kung Letran ang nakalaban ng UST? Di pa niya nasusubukan si Balneg, Mondragon, Quinday at Melegrito. Worse, Gile's basketball skills is mediocre. Matangkad lang kaya nasali sa Team A ng UST.

Challenging the opposing team to a fight after the game does not make him a hardcore.

Sa current players ng UST, ang talagang hardcore ay si Jervy Cruz. Palaban talaga yan. Kababayan ko e. ;D

Mel
10-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Can I cite NBA players?
Great players but...
1. David Robinson- every Twin Tower features a weaker structure attached to the other
2. Ralph Sampson- bit 6"1" Jerry Sichting's ear in a scuffle in the 86 finals
3. pre-1991 Michael Jordan- had to toughen up to finally advance against the Pistons

UAAP today:
1. Jai Reyes- please bulk up because you often get crushed in those screens or pushed to the baseline
2. Melchor Gile- yup, I agree. No presence until he lashes out on the opponents.
3. Migs De Asis- so soft and cuddly

PBA today:
1. Paolo Mendoza- always pretends to guard someone
2. Chris Calaguio- parang mababasag lagi front teeth niya
3. James Yap- because he is always in pink

LION
10-04-2006, 01:44 PM
^^^ Syempre naman kasi alaga talaga Calaguio yung mga ngipin niya. Di ko alam kung pinatangal na niya yung braces niya. :)

Howard the Duck
10-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Melchor Gile is not softcore, once he tried to challenge to whole NCAA champion San Beda Red Lions to a fight during the Father Martin Open last year after their game and both sides congratulating each other.* Protecting his own players, Coach Koy Banal scolded Gile by saying "If you don't want to get hurt, play chess!"

After the handshakes and everyone just wants to move on?* Isn't his timing a bit way off the mark para magpakitang-angas?

Gile would rather shout "mark" when he'll catch the ball lol

Ghostrider
10-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Can I cite NBA players?
Great players but...

2. Ralph Sampson- bit 6"1" Jerry Sichting's ear in a scuffle in the 86 finals

Ralph Sampson actually swung ang hit Jerry Sichting in the ear during the 86 finals. Jerry Sichting's retort, which made the sporting headlines the next day was that his kid hit harder than Ralph.

The biting incident which you may be referring to was when 7'1 Wayne "Tree" Rollins of the Atlanta Hawks bit Danny Ainge's finger during a loose ball scrum. Tree was fuming because he claimed that Dannyboy hit/elbowed him in the nether regions during the previous play. The photo caption the next day was "Tree bites man!".

joelex
10-06-2006, 02:10 AM
the true epitome of a softcore...paolo bugia....

5FootCarrot
10-06-2006, 11:20 AM
the true epitome of a softcore...paolo bugia....
Why? ??? Substantiation would be appreciated.

joelex
10-06-2006, 11:17 PM
dont you think he is really soft? doesnt do any dirty work? afraid to bang bodies despite that huge frame? i share that sentiment with a lot of other people really, including ateneans. in fairness at least he has good fundamentals for the PBA and no one can teach height. but still...... ;D

5FootCarrot
10-07-2006, 08:22 AM
dont you think he is really soft? doesnt do any dirty work? afraid to bang bodies despite that huge frame?

Have to agree on #s 2 and 3. His rookie year performance in the PBA was a pleasant surprise.

buko4
10-07-2006, 11:38 PM
dont you think he is really soft? doesnt do any dirty work? afraid to bang bodies despite that huge frame? i share that sentiment with a lot of other people really, including ateneans. in fairness at least he has good fundamentals for the PBA and no one can teach height. but still...... ;D

he could be a DOMINANT or DO ME NOT player in the PBA..he should learn how to bang bodies and use his big body against his defenders..he should'nt be contented with jump shots and he should learn how to pound it inside..also he should sacrifice his body more on defense..although his rookie year was not bad.l think that he has a lot more potential..he just needs to learn the art of getting physical.. (maybe a tutorial session from Ricky Calimag or Ira Buyco would do..) Calling on Wilmer Ong and Alvin Teng..toughness badly in need :D