PDA

View Full Version : Novas in the Firmament

MonL
05-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Not all big-time games are won by the established team stars. History is replete with stories of spot players who for one brief moment shone brightest or stepped up when the game is on the line, share in the glory with their more illustrious teammates but then later on fade into oblivion. In the US , we have read or witnessed NC State Wolfpack’s Lorenzo Charles jamming one home with a second to go against Akeem Olajuwon’s University of Houston Cougars in their 1983 title game. That probably ranked as the greatest upset in US NCAA history.

What about here? How about the NCAA or UAAP? What stories of underdog teams or unheralded players shining big time at the right moment is out there? Each school has its share of players fitting this mold and gaining legendary stature, their place secure, though this would fade later on as time passes by.* I’d like to dedicate this thread to THEIR story.

For starters:

Glenn Manzano, San Beda – 6-2 relief center for the Red Lions, made his biggest contribution in his entire college career in the 1977 championship final vs. the defending champion Blue Eagles by firing a team high 16 points, keeping the team afloat during furious ties and lead exchanges with the Eagles and helping the Lions to their first championship in 16 years.

Al Alipante, San Beda- 6-0 rookie forward who took The Charge That Won It All: Eagle Pons Valdez drove down the lane with seconds to go on Ateneo’s last play in that closed-door 1977 championship game. He ran into Alipante, was called for a charging foul and his shot nullified.* SBC hung on to win and claim the 1977 NCAA Championship.

Tony De Leon, Letran - 6-3 former Red Cub and seldom used backup center for the Knights shot 12 points in the 12th and last game of the 1978 regular season vs SBC, and was instrumental in the star-studded Knight’s denial of the Red Lion’s attempt in 1978 to accomplish a first ever 12-game sweep. The Knights would fall to the Lions in the playoffs that year, but* he would be back in 1979, when the Knights would win it all.

5FootCarrot
05-15-2006, 12:44 PM
I suppose Gec Chia is eligible for inclusion in this list.

He entered the Ateneo Blue Eagles as a walk-on from the covered court wars and barely saw any action, if at all, under Joe Lipa. His moment came in 2002, his last playing year, when Joel Banal kept him in Game 2 of the semis against UE despite Gec's errors during the game. Banal's faith paid off when Gec made the buzzer-beating basket that sent the Blue Eagles to the UAAP Finals and their first senior's basketball championship in 14 years.

Today, Gec may not be a star in the pros like former teammate Enrico Villanueva, but I think he's done pretty well for himself on the court and in the workplace. :)

Kid Cubao
05-15-2006, 12:59 PM
there's also green archer carlo sharma in the 2001 finals. pitted against enrico villanueva, the la salle center put on a masterful display of low post moves and coolness behind the charity stripe to guarantee DLSU's game 3 victory to cap the first archer dynasty.

christian
05-15-2006, 09:44 PM
How about BENNY CHENG?

kryptonite
05-16-2006, 03:35 AM
How about BENNY CHENG?

Benny Cheng converted the go-ahead basket in the dying seconds of the titular game 3 between Mapua and San Beda in the 1991-92 NCAA season. Mapua would go on to successfully defend their championship against the Boybits Victoria-led Red Cubs. Benny Cheng would be drafted by the Purefoods Hotdogs in the PBA. He played back-up to alvin Patrimonio all those years but never a star in the PBA. A reliable role player and "enforcer".

kryptonite
05-16-2006, 03:50 AM
How about Dino Aldeguer of La Salle during the 1999-2000 UAAP Game 3 Championship between DLSU and UST? With the Tigers leading by 3 points in the dying seconds of regulation play, Ritualo who was well covered in the right corner passed the ball to Allado who then passed to a momentarily open Aldeguer. Without hesitation, Dino heaved a shot from the 3-point area and converted it with a foul to boot from Nino Gelig. He would miss the extra FT and the game would go into OT. Ritualo and Allado would finish off the Tigers in the extension period. Aldeguer fould out in OT but without his heroics, it would have been another frustrating finale to the Archers' season. The ghost of La Salle's failures against UST have been hounding them in the finals that year.

Aldeguer would be drafted in the PBA and eventually play for Alaska. He was not a star in the PBA. He was just a third string PG and would eventually drift into obscurity. Even in the PBL, he was more known for quarter-backing his team. He was considered slow for a PG and he was never athletic. He was a star during his DLS-Z days and even led them to the Final 4.

MonL
05-16-2006, 07:40 AM
How about BENNY CHENG?

Benny Cheng converted the go-ahead basket in the dying seconds of the titular game 3 between Mapua and San Beda in the 1991-92 NCAA season. Mapua would go on to successfully defend their championship against the Boybits Victoria-led Red Cubs. Benny Cheng would be drafted by the Purefoods Hotdogs in the PBA. He played back-up to alvin Patrimonio all those years but never a star in the PBA. A reliable role player and "enforcer".

Well, Benny WAS the Mapua Cardinals then, not exactly a role player given his one chance.....he was their lynchpin, and therefore their main man. That basket of his haunts us to this day.... I recall that Chito Victolero was their point guard then. He is now an assistant of Koy in the Lions coaching staff.....

Benny carried that enforcer role to the PBA. He had that dugout scuffle with Tony Harris of RFM-Swift then....

LION
05-16-2006, 08:18 AM
^ Henry Ong, ex Mapua Red Robin and pure shooter, won many games and the championship for UST in the UAAP with his long range bombing.

To give you an idea how confident this player was at that time, he would always shoot from the 3 point territory pag fastbreak nila rather than go for the easy two.

That was his main role for UST. Shoot those threes and open up the defense. And he was given the absolute license by Aric del Rosario.

MonL
05-16-2006, 08:40 AM
In 1984, UE had a frontline player whose game was suited purely for a backup role as his fundamentals were wanting across the board. But UE, starring then rookie center Jerry Codiñera, had a lot of help from this player in the title game in 1984, which they won and defended in 1985. He was Godofredo Lim Uy. Saw that game in those old PTV-4 coverages. He earned his spot here.

MonL
05-16-2006, 11:13 AM
How about Dino Aldeguer of La Salle during the 1999-2000 UAAP Game 3 Championship between DLSU and UST? With the Tigers leading by 3 points in the dying seconds of regulation play, Ritualo who was well covered in the right corner passed the ball to Allado who then passed to a momentarily open Aldeguer. Without hesitation, Dino heaved a shot from the 3-point area and converted it with a foul to boot from Nino Gelig. He would miss the extra FT and the game would go into OT. Ritualo and Allado would finish off the Tigers in the extension period. Aldeguer fould out in OT but without his heroics, it would have been another frustrating finale to the Archers' season. The ghost of La Salle's failures against UST have been hounding them in the finals that year.

Aldeguer would be drafted in the PBA and eventually play for Alaska. He was not a star in the PBA. He was just a third string PG and would eventually drift into obscurity. Even in the PBL, he was more known for quarter-backing his team. He was considered slow for a PG and he was never athletic. He was a star during his DLS-Z days and even led them to the Final 4.

I'd love to have a copy of this game's video. I only saw an ABS-CBN highlight clip of The Shot. This shot ranks right up there with Jec Chia's own for sheer drama and fatal effect.

ESCALERA JR.
05-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Dong Libed's fade-away jumper- winning shot in the '87 finals against SSC and JP Pacheco's 3 pointer in the '98 finals also against Baste.

With Baste leading by 1 pt, Arthur Ayson quickly brought the ball down, flicked a pass to Libed from the top of the keyhole with only a few ticks left for that fade-away jumper, then the buzzer...all hell broke loose with the Letran faithfull filling the court to celebrate.

Pacheco's side 3 pointer broke the backs of the rallying Stags in the 98 version of the NC to keep the SSC rally at bay.

Unfortunately these 2 never made it past the PBA, but surely made their mark in the collegiate ranks.

kryptonite
05-16-2006, 11:33 PM

I'd love to have a copy of this game's video. I only saw an ABS-CBN highlight clip of The Shot. This shot ranks right up there with Jec Chia's own for sheer drama and fatal effect.

I have a copy of the DLSU championship games from 1990, 1998, 99, 2000, 2001, and 2002. Pero I'm the US right now. Maybe when I come back, I'll give you one...hehehe.

AnthonyServinio
05-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Dong Libed's fade-away jumper- winning shot in the '87 finals against SSC and JP Pacheco's 3 pointer in the '98 finals also against Baste.

With Baste leading by 1 pt, Arthur Ayson quickly brought the ball down, flicked a pass to Libed from the top of the keyhole with only a few ticks left for that fade-away jumper, then the buzzer...all hell broke loose with the Letran faithfull filling the court to celebrate.

Pacheco's side 3 pointer broke the backs of the rallying Stags in the 98 version of the NC to keep the SSC rally at bay.

Unfortunately these 2 never made it past the PBA, but surely made their mark in the collegiate ranks.
John Paul Pacheco indeed did not make it to the PBA but he is now having the next best thing working for San Miguel Corporation and at the same time getting to play with the San Miguel All-Stars composed of retired PBA pros who tour the country promoting San Miguel products.

paralusi
05-17-2006, 11:43 AM
feu. 1992. padaong. echano.

MargaretThrasher
05-17-2006, 03:35 PM
feu. 1992. padaong. echano.
What about him? ???

easter
05-17-2006, 07:38 PM
If you were able to watch Padaong and Echano of FEU during their time, it will be very hard to forget them. They were really great UAAP characters. These made crucial plays and whenever they did they will head-butt each other on center court :D

kryptonite
05-17-2006, 10:38 PM
If you were able to watch Padaong and Echano of FEU during their time, it will be very hard to forget them. They were really great UAAP characters. These made crucial plays and whenever they did they will head-butt each other on center court :D

They were part of the victorious FEU Tamaraws in 1991-92 season that defeated the Adamson Falcons. Nestor Echano and Arnold Padaong joined hands with Johnny Abarientos to beat the Falcons who were composed of EJ Feihl, Marlou Aquino, Kenneth Duremdes, Giovanni Pineda and Apollo Lim, among others.

AnthonyServinio
05-18-2006, 09:19 AM
If you were able to watch Padaong and Echano of FEU during their time, it will be very hard to forget them. They were really great UAAP characters. These made crucial plays and whenever they did they will head-butt each other on center court* :D

They were part of the victorious FEU Tamaraws in 1991-92 season that defeated the Adamson Falcons. Nestor Echano and Arnold Padaong joined hands with Johnny Abarientos to beat the Falcons who were composed of EJ Feihl, Marlou Aquino, Kenneth Duremdes, Giovanni Pineda and Apollo Lim, among others.
Arnold Padaong and Nestor Echano would take different career paths afterwards.

Echano played pro ball with the MBA's Manila Metrostars from 1998 to 2000. The highlights of his pro career were winning the MBA three-point shootout during the 1998 All-Star Game in Pampanga and winning the MBA National Championship with the Metrostars in 1999. Echano was taken by the Iloilo Megavoltz for the 2001 season but he declined the offer and migrated to Canada.

Padaong on the other hand has had difficulty taking his game to the next level and has contented himself since with playing in obscure minor commercial leagues in Manila and his native Pampanga.

bchoter
05-18-2006, 06:39 PM

Dude, this is one of the worst played game I've ever seen. This ranks among the absolutely worthless games ever. I mean... the game was UST to lose. They gave it away. I'm hoping an investigation will someday be conducted on the dubious result of the game.

I mean the UST gallery was ready to explode. I may not have worn my luck watch (I've worn this watch when Henry Ong shot that one from downtown and when Bal David had his own version) but I really felt the game was ours. I was so confident of our chances that I placed an (undisclosed) amount of bet for UST. Then that friggin Lao (who was placed on the freezer by coach Aric the year before... with reason) stepped on the "25th parallel". You shojuld have listened to your coach you d()mb a55. Then out of nowhere this nobody tisoy throws up a prayer. Against logic, the ball goes thru. I knw this was rigged. Somebody up there rigged this ballgame.

And UST will never beat the wretched green side again.

*sniff

tamarawz_14
05-18-2006, 08:53 PM
FEU's miko roldan buzzer beating against powerhouse ateneo 1st game of final four in 2000.... feu was underdog against ateneo in final 4 in 2000... suddenly we lost against la salle in the finals led by ritualo,cortez and co.

kryptonite
05-19-2006, 02:59 AM

Dude, this is one of the worst played game I've ever seen. This ranks among the absolutely worthless games ever. I mean... the game was UST to lose. They gave it away. I'm hoping an investigation will someday be conducted on the dubious result of the game.

I mean the UST gallery was ready to explode. I may not have worn my luck watch (I've worn this watch when Henry Ong shot that one from downtown and when Bal David had his own version) but I really felt the game was ours. I was so confident of our chances that I placed an (undisclosed) amount of bet for UST. Then that friggin Lao (who was placed on the freezer by coach Aric the year before... with reason) stepped on the "25th parallel". You shojuld have listened to your coach you d()mb a55. Then out of nowhere this nobody tisoy throws up a prayer. Against logic, the ball goes thru. I knw this was rigged. Somebody up there rigged this ballgame.

And UST will never beat the wretched green side again.

*sniff

Hahaha...pare, easy ka lang. Gilbert Lao missed 2 FT down the stretch that could have won the title for UST. Pinatalo nga ni Lao. :D

MonL
05-19-2006, 07:15 AM
I was kinda waiting for bchoter to post in this thread... I know the Tigers had their own stories to tell during their own title reign...oops. Uh-oh.... Puso mo, dude. We had our own share of heartbreaks too (see Benny Cheng's shot, DLSU's Lago miss). :)

LION
05-22-2006, 10:37 AM
How about Bethune "Siot" Tanquincen? Sino nga ba yung kasabayan niyang point sa UST? Was it Bal David or Dale Singson? He was not the team's superstar but he played a major role in building a dynasty for UST.

This 5'6 dynamo had an unorthodox style of dribbling (kangkarot) which made him really tough to contain. Parang buhawi, you'll never know what he will do next.

shyboy
05-22-2006, 06:47 PM
How about Bethune "Siot" Tanquincen?* Sino nga ba yung kasabayan niyang point sa UST? Was it Bal David or Dale Singson?* He was not the team's superstar but he played a major role in building a dynasty for UST.

This 5'6 dynamo had an unorthodox style of dribbling (kangkarot) which made him really tough to contain.* Parang buhawi, you'll never know what he will do next.

Sila Siot Tanquincen, Patrick Fran and Bal David ang mga PG na nagpang-abot sa UST during its four-peat run in the mid-90s. Dale Singson came in late, I'm not sure if he was part of the last championship year.

Kid Cubao
05-23-2006, 07:58 AM
it may also be the case that dale singson was a rookie in 1996, UST's last championship season in their four-year title run. he paired well with gerard francisco when FEU and la salle lorded it over the UAAP.

Rektikano
05-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Tangquincen played 'till 1993. Bal David 'till '94. But in 1994, UST had a gem of a point guard in waiting in Dale Singson. Dale was part of the reason why LaSalle couldn't get pass the Tigers in those years. He is 6'1" and played point. LaSalle's point guards in Tonyboy Espinosa and later on, Dino Aldeguer were small compared to him.

I couldn't help but admire how UST built their teams in the '90s. After the 1993 season, UST lost Rey Evangelista, Tangquincen and Patrick Fran. Everybody thought they were dead. But Bal David was still there to give them another shot at it, plus they added rookies Richard Yee, Dale Singson, Gelo Velasco, Henry Ong and Red Cub hot shot Richard Melencio. After 1994, they lost Bal David, Dennis Espino and Edmund Reyes. Again, everybody thought they were goners. But in 1995, they added a "rejuvenated" Estong Ballesteros and juniors mvp Gerard Francisco plus Chris Cantonjos and Richard Yee developed tremendously overnight. The nice recruitment went on the following years, adding NCAA juniors mvp Marvin Ortiguerra, Emerson Oreta, Nino Gelig, Cyrus Baguio and Derrick Hubalde.

LaSalle and UST went at it in the recruitment war in the '90s. LaSalle would have their fair share of NCAA junior mvps in Alvin Magpantay, Tyrone Bautista, Mark Telan, DonDon Valerio, RenRen Ritualo plus a slew of fil-am recruits while UST would have their fair share of marquee recruits. No wonder the two schools share the most number of championship appearances in the '90s.

bchoter
05-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Unfortunately, after the repeats UST's plays became predictable. There was hardly any ball movement in the offense and timeouts were reduced to #$%^&!. Every possession one player dominates the ball. It's either Dale Singson takes a long time looking for scoring opportunities (his is not the least), the wingmen take their own crack at the basket, or, Aric's favorite, the big man posts up and backs his man down. The collection of talents went to waste as only one "option" is utilised on every turn.

Today, UST has a slew of novas that were on the fringes of the recruitment radar. Jojo Duncil may be the best known Tiger but anybody can take a shot at their own 15 minutes of fame. I just hope Pido can stretch the 15 minutes until season's end.

kryptonite
05-23-2006, 10:51 PM
But in 1995, they added a "rejuvenated" Estong Ballesteros and juniors mvp Gerard Francisco plus Chris Cantonjos and Richard Yee developed tremendously overnight. The nice recruitment went on the following years, adding NCAA juniors mvp Marvin Ortiguerra, Emerson Oreta, Nino Gelig, Cyrus Baguio and Derrick Hubalde.

When did Marvin Ortiguera win the Juniors MVP for Mapua? 1995-96? Thanks.

bchoter
05-23-2006, 10:59 PM
How about the Eagles who beat the Archers after being down by 20?

Rektikano
05-25-2006, 02:58 PM
But in 1995, they added a "rejuvenated" Estong Ballesteros and juniors mvp Gerard Francisco plus Chris Cantonjos and Richard Yee developed tremendously overnight. The nice recruitment went on the following years, adding NCAA juniors mvp Marvin Ortiguerra, Emerson Oreta, Nino Gelig, Cyrus Baguio and Derrick Hubalde.

When did Marvin Ortiguera win the Juniors MVP for Mapua? 1995-96? Thanks.

I think it was in 1995.

tambay_sa_recto
06-25-2006, 10:51 PM
JAPETH AGUILAR: sumisikat pa lang, nalaos bigla.

JonarSabilano
06-27-2006, 04:08 PM

Well, not exactly. Mas malaki ang tsansa niyang sumikat sa 'Tate. Malay mo.

bluebruiser90
07-19-2006, 02:39 PM

The jury is still out on that one. We may have to wait a few years to see if Japeth was just a flash in the pan.

bluebruiser90
07-19-2006, 02:53 PM

Well, not exactly. Mas malaki ang tsansa niyang sumikat sa 'Tate. Malay mo.

Not really sure about that one too.* This whole thing can work both ways, opening doors for the boy to have a crack at the NBA or just closing all opportunities very early if he doesn't show potential in his US Division I stint.* But the boy will at least have the chance to show what he has.* You just don't know how NBA scouts think sometimes, he may just get somebody interested.* The best route for him? Grow a few more inches. He's 6'8" barefoot with an albatross' wingspan, by NBA standards, he can pas off as 6'9" - 6'10".* If he can pass himself off as an athletic 7 footer in a few years who can at least play defense and swat shots, he can get looks down the road.* Look at that guy from Senegal drafted by Seattle, drafted on length and potential (though the kid has been a revelation as he can actually play) and Freelander by Portland who was drafted just on length (not much at that as he only stood at 6'10" and with nary any skills).* Of course the good thing going for them is that they were hidden overseas from the prying eyes and scrutiny of the basketball public and thus could market their "upside" more effectively. Which bring us back to Japeth, could his chances to make it in the NBA be better served by staying away and remaining a mystery to scouts?* Probably. But regardless, the boy has made his decision and I would like to just wish him the best.*

If he doesn't make it all the way then he can sleep soundly with the thought that he did everything to give himself a better chance.* As long as he doesn't get injured, he can always find a home in local basketball.

LION
10-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Pwede ko na sigurong idagdag dito sina:

Raymond Maggay
Jay-R "Baby Shaq' Taganas

Japs Cuan
Allan Evangelista
Jun Cortez

5FootCarrot
10-26-2006, 06:55 AM
Japs Cuan
Allan Evangelista
Jun Cortez
No comment on Maggay and Taganas, but IMHO it's too early to say if Japs Cuan is a flash in the pan. Tingnan natin kung maaulit niya muli ang S69 sa S70. Also, FWIW tingnan na rin natin kung may kahihinatnan sina Evangelista at Cortex Cortez pagkatapos ng UAAP. :)

bchoter
11-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Japs and Jun were not exactly nobodies before being elevated to the Tigers' lair. Both played for the cubs and won a crown over Ateneo in one season Jun picking up an MVP award along the way. If they were obscure to casual fans that is because of UST's dismal performances in the past.

LION
11-07-2006, 06:03 PM
^^^Ok. here is a nobody who became really somebody - Jervy Cruz.

bchoter
11-18-2006, 10:26 PM
^ Di naman masyadong Nova si Jervy as he was part of one of our Youth/Juniors squad then. Pero, on the contrary, on the contrary, Nova nga yata kasi yun yung version ni Graham Lim

MonL
11-23-2006, 08:03 AM
^ Di naman masyadong Nova si Jervy as he was part of one of our Youth/Juniors squad then. Pero, on the contrary, on the contrary, Nova nga yata kasi yun yung version ni Graham Lim

Well, he hasn't faded into oblivion yet, though, so hold that "nova" tag off on Jervy for the meantime...

MonL
01-31-2007, 08:33 AM
there's also green archer carlo sharma in the 2001 finals. pitted against enrico villanueva, the la salle center put on a masterful display of low post moves and coolness behind the charity stripe to guarantee DLSU's game 3 victory to cap the first archer dynasty.

Not fading to white dwarf status yet, as he and his former rival are now manning the slot at Red Bull, and doing well himself.

LION
09-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Chico Tirona. Seldom used and almost forgotten. In the game against San Sebastian and Letran, the kid who dribbles the ball like a wizard gave a back-to-back masterful performance and won the Red Army's admiration and gratitude.

bchoter
09-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Henry Ong. Had an extended 15 minutes but the curtains came down early on his basketball career.

LION
09-16-2008, 07:20 AM
^^ Oo nga. Superstar si Henry Ong that time.

bchoter
09-16-2008, 01:57 PM
^ Sorry LION. You've posted Henry Ong first page palang pala :D

LION
09-16-2008, 02:41 PM
^ Will there be another Jervy Cruz?

bchoter
09-16-2008, 02:54 PM
^ Not sure about that but I certainly hope he doesn't end up as 3 flasehs (seasons :D) in the pan