PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore Hoops 101: Your Questions (Hopefully) Answered

5FootCarrot
05-09-2006, 05:47 PM
While your garden-variety hardcore hoops junkie is likely to already have sufficient understanding of basketball, the sport - like everything else in this world - is an ever-changing, ever-evolving thing and there will always be an opportunity for fans to learn from each other :) If you want to know more or be cleared up about any aspect of hardcore hoops, feel free to post here and hopefully a fellow fan will be able to answer your question.

I'll start - what the heck is a lane violation? (I'm not even sure if I spelled it correctly. :-[) When does it happen and what is/are its result/s?

AnthonyServinio
05-10-2006, 10:43 AM
what the heck is a lane violation? (I'm not even sure if I spelled it correctly. :-[) When does it happen and what is/are its result/s?
A lane violation occurs when any of the players prematurely enter the shaded lane during a free throw attempt.* The players may enter the shaded lane once the ball is released from the hands of the shooter.* Furthermore, the shooter may only enter the shaded lane once the ball hits the ring.

If the shot is converted but the offender is --
-- the shooter, the shot is nullified
-- the opponent(s), the shot is counted
-- his teammate(s), the shot is nullified

If the shot is not converted but the offender is --
-- the shooter, no replacement attempt will be awarded
-- the opponent(s), another attempt will be awarded
-- his teammate(s), no replacement attempt will be awarded

In case of both sides committed the violation, the free throw is nullified the possession arrow will be consulted.

Kid Cubao
05-10-2006, 11:21 AM
tama si sir anthony :) my theory here is that lane violations have become more frequent the last few years because of declining free throw percentages. in the days of lim eng beng, fritz gaston, and allan caidic, free throws were treated as automatic points. sabi nga ng mga hardcore ballers, "ilista mo na!" today free throw shooting is so atrocious that coaches instruct their lane rebounders to always assume the last free throw attempt will bounce out, hence more instances of possible violations.

Sam Miguel
05-10-2006, 01:39 PM
What are the rules regarding the shot clock violations? Sometimes the refs inbound it, sometimes they let the play continue on possession. And its not even consistent when they make those calls.

gameface_one
05-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Can I also ask what is the rule for ball possessions when there is a jumpball?

christian
05-10-2006, 04:02 PM
it depends yata yun sir on who won the tip in the first jumpball, then alternate na yung ball possession, depending on the possession arrow. for example, team a won the initial jumpball, possession arrow will go to team b, if there's a violation (ball stuck in the rim, jumpball situation etc.) then alternate na sa possession arrow.

christian
05-10-2006, 04:03 PM
when do you credit an assist? and how do you distinguished an assist? lito ako dito...

Kid Cubao
05-10-2006, 04:36 PM
FIBA rules stipulate that whenever shot clock violations are called, the defense wins ball possession and will inbound from behind the opponent's baseline. the long buzzer will remind the refs to hand the ball behind the baseline. in the pros, however, the table officials allow the ref to make a judgment call if play will be discontinued or not as a result of the violation. that's why the pro shotclock buzzer is brief, unlike in college ball. usually kapag nakuha na ng depensa yung bola after the shotclock buzzer sounds, the refs allow continuity of play.

the new FIBA rules on ball possession are meant to level the playing field as far as total number of possessions for each team is concerned. it's also meant to do away with those faulty jump ball tosses. in addition, they were introduced to negate the natural advantage of height that has nothing to do with the basic skills one works on in the game of basketball. what results is a more fluid, continuous game uninterrupted by jump balls. tama si christian dun sa paliwanag nya: whoever wins the opening tip and gets control of the ball gets first possession, so the possession arrow points in the opposite direction. ganun lang yun, the possession arrow always points in the opposite direction of the offense.

an assist is a pass that directly results into a basket. to be credited as an assist, the ball receiver must be able to score without taking a single dribble.

LION
05-10-2006, 04:57 PM
^ So this rule applies even if, for example, the recipient after receiving the pass holds on to the ball and is undecided whether to shoot, pass or dribble, and finally decides to shoot, without making any dribble after about, say, 5 seconds? This happens a lot of times lalo na sa mga 4 and 5 players.

Or dapat ba may continuation ng movement?

Sam Miguel
05-10-2006, 05:58 PM
^ So this rule applies even if, for example, the recipient after receiving the pass holds on to the ball and is undecided whether to shoot, pass or dribble, and finally decides to shoot, without making any dribble after about, say, 5 seconds?* This happens a lot of times lalo na sa mga 4 and 5 players.

Or dapat ba may continuation ng movement?

There must be a continuous movement from the time the player catches the pass and then scores. So if a player catches the ball, pump fakes a defender out of the way then sinks a shot that's an assist. But if he catches the ball, pump fakes say four or five times, still can't shake the defender, then pivots (even without dribbling) before making the shot, the pass is no longer an assist. The key here is that the pass must find the player at the best opportunity to score and that the opportunity is immediately used to make a basket. Its not an assist if the player needs to do anything more than actually take a shot.

LION
05-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Noted Sam. Thanks.

christian
05-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks! how about those T-Mac moves? throwing the ball to the board and then catching it then slams the ball. From the way it looks, he gets an OFFENSIVE REBOUND, ASSIST and BASKET, is the first throw considered an attempt? it it even LEGAL?

Kid Cubao
05-10-2006, 08:58 PM
that's allowed in the pros but not in college or in international competition. FIBA rules state that you can only rebound your own miss if it came off an honest field goal attempt. that t-mac move is not allowed, for instance, in the UAAP and the refs will call a violation. come to think of it, t-mac should just stop dunking like that to prevent hyperextending his lower back, injuries to which have been the bane of his career.

Paul of Bataan
05-11-2006, 11:36 AM
how about those T-Mac moves? throwing the ball to the board and then catching it then slams the ball. From the way it looks, he gets an OFFENSIVE REBOUND, ASSIST and BASKET, is the first throw considered an attempt? it it even LEGAL?

in the pros, one would be credited with an offensive rebound and a field goal for doing that. no assist, because you can't pass the ball to yourself once you've given up your dribble.

christian
05-11-2006, 12:25 PM
thanks!

Jaco D
05-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Speaking of dribbling, have the rules on dribbling and travelling violations changed significantly over the past decade? *I've noticed that a lot of the younger players seem to take "too many" steps before making a lay-up. *No whistles are blown and only the folks from the "nyort-nyorts" generation (hokay, kasama na ako diyan) give that "Di ba travelling 'yon" look. *I dunno, maybe the current crop of players have such a high level of ball-handling skills that their moves are just optical illusions rather than travelling violations.

Kid Cubao
05-11-2006, 12:52 PM
mukhang wala namang pinagbago mula nang panahon natin, jaco :D

yung mga refs ngayon ang nagpabaya sa pagpito ng violation. masyado kasing maraming sacred cows na inaalagaan sa NBA.

toti_mendiola
05-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Speaking of dribbling, have the rules on dribbling and travelling violations changed significantly over the past decade? *I've noticed that a lot of the younger players seem to take "too many" steps before making a lay-up. *No whistles are blown and only the folks from the "nyort-nyorts" generation (hokay, kasama na ako diyan) give that "Di ba travelling 'yon" look. *I dunno, maybe the current crop of players have such a high level of ball-handling skills that their moves are just optical illusions rather than travelling violations.

Especially the hop steps.

Agent 008
05-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Tama si Kid Cubao about sacred cows in the NBA. Sa game 5 ng Cavaliers vs. Wizards, yung winning shot ni LeBron was a clear traveling violation. Hopped with both legs, then stepped with right, then with the left before taking the shot. It was disgusting that no call was made. Karma tuloy sila ngayon sa Pistons. Mukha silang mga walang karapatan sa quaterfinals.

Joescoundrel
05-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Sina Kid Cubao at si Mr. Romy Guevarra lang ang mga certified International Referees na Pinoy. Pero mas matanda si Cubao kay Mang Romy ng mga ilang taon.

Jaco D
05-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah, that hop step is the most blatant bending of the travelling rules, with that LeBron thing being prime exhibit # 1.* The sad thing is that blacktop denizens everywhere are quick to emulate the moves of those NBA sacred cows.* I remember the summer evening games at the old Ugarte basketball court in Paseo de Roxas was a good place to hear "Hoy, travelling yan!" plus the most colorful language you could find from Jawo-wannabees masquerading as lawyers and investment bankers during the day.

Joescoundrel
05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Yeah, that hop step is the most blatant bending of the travelling rules, with that LeBron thing being prime exhibit # 1.* The sad thing is that blacktop denizens everywhere are quick to emulate the moves of those NBA sacred cows.* I remember the summer evening games at the old Ugarte basketball court in Paseo de Roxas was a good place to hear "Hoy, travelling yan!" plus the most colorful language you could find from Jawo-wannabees masquerading as lawyers and investment bankers during the day.

Jaco pati ba naman basketball sa Ugarte inabutan mo pa? ;D

Paul of Bataan
05-12-2006, 01:37 PM
i always here the term "UCLA cut" in NBA and NCAA broadcasts? ano nga ba yun? tuwing nakikita ko sa TV, nabibigla na lang ako kung pano nalilibre sa ilalim yung cutter.

AnthonyServinio
05-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Sina Kid Cubao at si Mr. Romy Guevarra lang ang mga certified International Referees na Pinoy. Pero mas matanda si Cubao kay Mang Romy ng mga ilang taon.
Actually, there are a lot of accredited Pinoy FIBA refs, problem is they cannot do their function because they remain suspended as long as the Philippine cannot get its act together.

Apparently, Chinaman Graham Lim has trivialized the qualifications of being a FIBA referee, much to the consternation of more qualified referees who refuse to bow to Lim's caprices.

Jaco D
05-12-2006, 02:36 PM

Actually, akay-akay ako ng lolo ko noon.

Joe, buking ba?* 8)

bchoter
05-13-2006, 10:48 AM
an assist is a pass that directly results into a basket. to be credited as an assist, the ball receiver must be able to score without taking a single dribble.
Will an assist be recorded if the recipient was fouled while going for a shot then proceeds to make at least one of his free throws?

bchoter
05-13-2006, 10:57 AM
how about those T-Mac moves? throwing the ball to the board and then catching it then slams the ball. From the way it looks, he gets an OFFENSIVE REBOUND, ASSIST and BASKET, is the first throw considered an attempt? it it even LEGAL?

in the pros, one would be credited with an offensive rebound and a field goal for doing that. no assist, because you can't pass the ball to yourself once you've given up your dribble.
Reminds me of Michael Hackett who, when in a tight situation under the rim, just throws the ball towards the backboard and carve space for an offensive rebound and a put back. That's why he grabs a lot of rebounds and went on to grab the most rebounds in one game. Moses Malone used the same in the NBA and ended up with the rebounding crown for a few years. Cabatu's is a different case altogether. He, too, grabs the rebound off his own miss but those misses were never intentional although they looked intentional on hte viewers point of view. He is the master of the kontra-pektus :D.

Kid Cubao
05-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Will an assist be recorded if the recipient was fouled while going for a shot then proceeds to make at least one of his free throws?

you only get credited for the assist if it results in an and-1 play, whether you make the bonus free throw or not.

pio_valenz
05-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Tama si Kid Cubao about sacred cows in the NBA. Sa game 5 ng Cavaliers vs. Wizards, yung winning shot ni LeBron was a clear traveling violation. Hopped with both legs, then stepped with right, then with the left before taking the shot. It was disgusting that no call was made. Karma tuloy sila ngayon sa Pistons. Mukha silang mga walang karapatan sa quaterfinals.

NBA refs will almost never call a superstar for travelling in the dying seconds of a play-off game, unless the travelling is blatant. I remember Karl Malone also clearly shuffling his feet while driving to the hoop in Game 7 of the 1996 Western Conference Finals and the Jazz down by three with less than 10 seconds to go. The refs also let that one go and instead called a foul on Shawn Kemp. Malone missed both free throws.

And speaking of non-calls on travelling, Phil Jackson coined the phrase "Georgetown Gallop" for the way Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning, and Dikembe Mutombo always seemed to get away with an extra step while backing up to the basket. The refs always let them get away with that.

Actually, what gets my goat is the non-calls on palming the ball, which is the only reason why so many players can do a cross-over nowadays. I have yet to see a present player do a cross-over the way Pistol Pete did it: without palming the ball but still getting the defender to go the opposite way.

Joescoundrel
05-30-2006, 07:57 PM

Actually, akay-akay ako ng lolo ko noon.

Joe, buking ba?* 8)

Football inabutan ko sa Ugarte field, heh-heh!

Going back to the superstar treatment, I wonder if there is a review system implemented in the UAAP for officiating? I remember reading something about the many levels of review implemented in the NBA in order to at least maintain minimal competence if not officiating perfection. Is there such a system in the UAAP? For instance, do referees review game videos and see where they may have missed a call or miscalled a violation? I believe this would be something truly useful and relatively easy to do.

Mateen Cleaves
05-30-2006, 08:53 PM
^Depende ata sa commissioner. I'm not familiar with how Ato ran it during his tenure. But I once sat in for one session during Lipa's term. The game tape was viewed by the officiating crew, and simultaneosly critiqued by the other refs, the Commish and/or his deputies, and Head Ref, Romy Guevara (ata!). Wrong calls were pointed out, then analyzed to see why the error was made. The most common reasons were making the call out of position, or anticipating the play. The peers then pointed out where the erring ref should have been. Related to this, the reviewers also identified which ref should have blown the whistle, depending on where the play occurred. Of course, the refs were also commended for making the right calls on tough situations (e.g. charge/block, let-go situations, etc.).

Joescoundrel
06-01-2006, 01:42 PM
What are your thoughts on the "bawi" system? You know, the ref may have made a questionable call then "makes up for it" with another call on the other end? I know this is conjecture for the most part but still, I can't help thinking this is something that's been going on since Methuselah.

5FootCarrot
06-01-2006, 02:03 PM
What are your thoughts on the "bawi" system? You know, the ref may have made a questionable call then "makes up for it" with another call on the other end? I know this is conjecture for the most part but still, I can't help thinking this is something that's been going on since Methuselah.
Yes, these make-up calls have been made for a long time, and not just in basketball. In ice hockey, these are/were once called "Revlons."

(Get it? Make-up...Revlon... :P)

On the whole, I would prefer better officiating to a lot of Revlons.

Kid Cubao
06-01-2006, 02:24 PM
the bawi system is no different from death and taxes--it's inevitable. so if you get lucky with a call that should have gone the other way, be prepared for a make-up call to favor the other team. ganun lang yun.

Joescoundrel
06-02-2006, 03:46 PM
the bawi system is no different from death and taxes--it's inevitable. so if you get lucky with a call that should have gone the other way, be prepared for a make-up call to favor the other team. ganun lang yun.

Papano kung bumawi si Pareng John Michael mo, Cubao...?

Mateen Cleaves
06-02-2006, 04:27 PM

Siguro... pero kung ikaw naman ang na-dehado sa tawag, hindi ka pa rin puedeng umasa na pagbibigyan ka agad ng ref. Puede kasi na yung bawi mo, sa susunod na game pa dumating! ;D

Joescoundrel
06-07-2006, 06:23 PM
What exactly is a double foul? And who gets the possession?

Kid Cubao
06-08-2006, 05:34 AM
simple lang yan. a double foul usually occurs away from the ball, and it's when two opposing players commit fouls against each other almost simultaneously. possession is awarded to the side kung saan nakaturo yung possession arrow. double fouls are called to discourage overaggressiveness that may lead to physical violence.

atenean_blooded
06-09-2006, 01:28 AM
What kind of foul does biting the railing and giving fans the finger merit?

5FootCarrot
06-09-2006, 07:42 AM
That would get you a foul in heaven for, well, foul behavior :P

oca
06-09-2006, 07:47 AM
^
^
Mukhang masama pa ang loob natin sa pagkakatalo sa UE...

Kidding aside, those gestures constitute unsportsmanlike conduct and should merit a technical.

That is kung nakita ng referee. Problema, baka nag bulag-bulagan yung dalwang mamang may pito...

Pero, kahit 'di nakita ng mga referees yung dirty finger, but if someone from the "officials table" saw it and would relay it to the referee, the latter can still call a technical.

Men at the officials table can actually point out infractions of the rules to the referees. Infractions that are "not part of the play oncourt". Case in point, when a fight oncourt ensues and people at the opposite benches step inside the court, the referess may not actually get to identify all those who would leave their benches. The officials at the table can point out to the referees just who stepped on court and allow the referees to make the right decision who should be thrown out of the playing court.

Problema sa mga ganitong "out of play" infractions, pag ginustong palagpasin ng mga officials, talagang walang tawag na mangyayari.

atenean_blooded
06-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Eh di dapat pala humingi kami nina atenista_comm, Legal_Eagle, admu_addict, at iba pang kasama namin ng tig-iisang free throw. :D

Jaco D
06-09-2006, 11:02 AM

Blooded, there is no such foul under the rules of amateur basketball.* However, there is a medical term for such a disorder:* Hoof and mouth disease.

Joescoundrel
06-14-2006, 05:37 PM
What is meant by "splitting the post"? (Sounds like a hardcore porn film maneuver...)

Kid Cubao
06-14-2006, 09:25 PM
"splitting the post" is a favorite strong-side maneuver involving a post player and two wing players. here's how it's done: a wing player makes the entry pass (preferably a short lob) to a player positioned midpost. once the catch is made, the two wing players execute what is called a "scissors cut," with the passer making the first hard cut to receive the handoff from the post player on one side, and the other wing man cutting hard for the handoff toward the opposite side. rule of thumb is for the 2nd cutter to trail a step or two of the 1st cutter.

post skills such as sealing off the defender, receiving the entry pass, protecting the ball by "chinning it," pivoting, and handing off are called into play in this simple but effective maneuver. cutting basics such as the use of hard steps, breaking into sharp angles, and finishing the shot attempt are applied to good use by the wingmen.

splitting the post is most effective against aggressive halfcourt man-to-man defenses or traps. it's a tactic often resorted to by coaches to isolate skilled one-on-one post scorers and free "slashers." some of the most effective post splits are executed by teams that use the triple post offense or the triangle. for instance, the bulls' 2nd unit of kerr, burrell/harper, wennington, simpkins, and buechler run the best post splits i've seen.

Sam Miguel
07-10-2006, 02:44 PM
How does the High-Low play work?

christian
07-10-2006, 05:49 PM
How does the High-Low play work?

The PG brings the ball upcourt with the PF and C in the free throw line, facing each other. It's up to the PG (or the coach, depends on the play called) on where to go, either right or left. The one setting the pick, pops up on top of the key, receives the ball from the PG, and the other big man sliding inside the shaded area (bringing him closer to the basket) for a higher percentage shot. In some broken play, you can see the wingmen shooting from downtown or slashing to basket, or the PG taking the shot :)

Illustration:

Alex brings the ball up court, yousif and sam setting the screens, yousif sets the sreen and pops out on top of the key, sam planted his man under the basket. Boom! Either a sure two or a shooting foul.
You have to have two mobile/agile big man to run this play, in SBC's case, it should take time before they run this. I can't wait :)

christian
07-10-2006, 05:52 PM
I forgot where i post this.... what stat do you get when you go up for a block and getting the ball in mid-air? BLOCK? REBOUND? or STEAL?

Kid Cubao
07-10-2006, 07:24 PM
that's a block for you, and a turnover for the opponent. by the way, that's a good hi-lo play you diagrammed :)

christian
07-10-2006, 09:48 PM
that's a block for you, and a turnover for the opponent. by the way, that's a good hi-lo play you diagrammed :)

Thanks! courtesy of Live '97, i'm a big shawn kemp fan (his first season with the CAVS), i used to run that play everytime!

Sam Miguel
07-12-2006, 08:53 PM
What exactly does the term "scoring pointguard" denote?

Is that a selfish player who takes a lot of shots and only happens to be a pointguard?

Or is that a true pointguard who also happens to be a gifted scorer?

Is this more of a good thing or a bad thing? (Relatively speaking...)

Pio-Valenz raised a very valid point in another Forum: What's the difference between two pointguards - both known to score a lot - when they score 20-plus points per game? What makes one a scoring pointguard and the other a ballhog?

pio_valenz
07-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Hehe. Nice of you to bring that up in this thread, Sam Miguel. I think in order for a point guard to score 20+ points, he must have a ballhog mentality to begin with considering he is the one who should bring up the ball and set up his teammates. In order for him to score 20+ points, that means he has to set himself up to shoot several times. That means he will not pass the ball anymore and immediately look for his shot. It's different if the 20+ scorer is a SG, SF, PF or center; obviously, in this case in order for him to score, he needs the ball from the point guard.

In the other thread, I actually just echoed what Scottie Pippen once said back when the Bulls weren't quite champions yet: why is it that when Larry Bird gets 50 points, the Celtics are still a team, but when Michael Jordan gets 50, the Bulls are a one-man crew? I thought it was an appropriate comparison to the discussion we were having in the other thread.

Sam Miguel
07-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Hoops junkies we all are Pio, har-har!

Is Steve Nash a ballhog because he scores 20-plus per game? But he also leads the NBA in assists, so I guess that makes him a true pointguard too... or does it? Now I'm f-ing confused...

Kid Cubao
07-13-2006, 05:47 AM
it's all about reading defenses. no matter what other so-called experts say about reading defenses, with all their arcane terminology intended to show off what they know, the bottom line is that reading defenses is all about finding the open teammate. now if the ballhandler himself is the one open, then he will/should/must take the shot. that's the aspect that's often overlooked. it applies to all, from point guards to centers.

ballhogs are accused as such because they take the shot when there are teammates who are more open or are in better scoring position than they. michael jordan in his earlier years was accused of being a ballhog because he was the only weapon for the bulls and wasn't yet surrounded with the supporting cast he wanted. in fact, jordan allowed bulls management to underpay him so they can have salary cap space to go after veteran free agents. eventually, when phil jackson became coach, he learned to play within the team context. it also pays that he later had pippen, cartwright, longley, hodges, paxson, kukoc, kerr, harper, rodman and many other fine role players to help him win six NBA titles in two dynasty eras.

larry bird was never accused of being a ballhog because his ability to involve his teammates was unquestioned. he and magic johnson had excellent court vision to the effect that they know where all ten players and referees are at any given time. if ever larry scores 50 points or more, the consensus there was that his teammates did a great job getting out of the way ;D

fraternizer
07-13-2006, 04:30 PM
What exactly does the term "scoring pointguard" denote?

Is that a selfish player who takes a lot of shots and only happens to be a pointguard?

Or is that a true pointguard who also happens to be a gifted scorer?

Is this more of a good thing or a bad thing? (Relatively speaking...)

Pio-Valenz raised a very valid point in another Forum: What's the difference between two pointguards - both known to score a lot - when they score 20-plus points per game? What makes one a scoring pointguard and the other a ballhog?

All this talk about starting point guards also had me thinking and, thanks to the down time provided by the typhoon, I did a little research of my own using the stats from UAAP Season 69 posted at UBelt.com.* I have always preferred to gauge a player’s performance on a per minute played instead of a per game basis.* After doing some spreadsheet work, there were some things that came up that are quite interesting.

The top three PGs in terms of minutes played were, in increasing order, Cruz, Villanueva and Tenorio.* Cruz had the most points per minute at almost a point every two minutes.* He also had the most rebounds with a fraction more than one every five minutes.* Villanueva led in blocks and steals while Tenorio was tops in assists with a converted dish every five minutes of play.* As such, these three were considered the best in the league.

I have always considered t@ng an underrated PG and after running the numbers, I am more convinced that he did not get the respect he deserved.* t@ng had the lowest turnover rate leading him to league highs in points to turnover (4.26) and assists to turnover (1.54) ratios.* He was also one of the better shooters in terms of field goal and free throw percentages.

At the other end of the spectrum were Cruz, Malcontento and Canuday in assists and Cuan, Cruz and Malcontento in turnovers.* Malcontento, Villanueva and Cuan had the lowest points to turnover ratios, all below 2 points per turnover.* Cruz, Canuday and Malcontento had the worst assist to turnover ratio, all below 1, meaning their total turnovers were more than their total assists.

With the departure of Tenorio and Saguindel, Escalona and Labagala are expected to step up for their respective teams.* Escalona put up good numbers in the FMC Summer League and Labagala has shown that he can run a champion team (HAIL & FMC).* Cruz will be in his familiar role of scorer, but he has to exhibit leadership in order to guide a rookie-laden team to a better finish this year.* With a depleted frontline, Villanueva is expected to help Chan carry the scoring load if they are to contend for a playoff berth.* Cuan must be able to sustain the brilliance he flashed during their first game of the season for them to be competitive.* Canuday and Malcontento need to improve almost every facet of their games to complement the talents of their teammates.

It’s a real pity that t@ng is not playing this season.

Joescoundrel
07-13-2006, 08:02 PM
I often hear coaches yelling "Reverse!"

I have some idea that implies recycling the play or going to some kind of Plan B for a play that didn't quite go right.

What exactly do they mean by "reverse"? What is being reversed? I know it somehow involves a lot of passing, quick, strong short passes somewhere around the perimeter. Or am I looking at it the wrong way?

christian
07-13-2006, 09:25 PM
In a offensive set, they call reverse so they can switch the ball from right to left or vice versa, i'm pretty sure coaches wants to run a play on the right side and the left side, depending on where the defensive liability is. or sometimes teams have a "code" for simple plays like pick and roll, weave, screen, hi-lo etc., just to make the opposing team guess. feel free to correct me.

Kid Cubao
07-14-2006, 05:39 AM
joescoundrel and christian, pareho kayong tama. think of it this way: whenever coaches see the floor on offense, they see an imaginary grid that trisects the halfcourt lengthwise into side-top-side. ball reversals involve rotating the ball from one side to the other, and they do it by passing the ball back at the top for the point guard, who then passes it to the opposite area, or the wing player foregoes the top pass to the point and throws it directly to the opposing wing. because you skipped the top pass to the point, that is called the skip pass. skip passing is most effective against zone defenses.

Sam Miguel
07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Should an entry pass into the post be overhand to be caught above the shoulder? Or should it be a bounce pass to be caught at the hip area?

Bennie Bangag
07-27-2006, 02:13 PM
I think either way will do fine. Ang mahalaga di maaagaw ng depensa, di ba repapips?

Joescoundrel
08-02-2006, 09:00 PM
What the heck is an "early" offense? Is there therefore such a thing as a "late" offense?

freak
08-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Hoops junkies we all are Pio, har-har!

Is Steve Nash a ballhog because he scores 20-plus per game? But he also leads the NBA in assists, so I guess that makes him a true pointguard too... or does it? Now I'm f-ing confused...

now, now.. come to think of it.. i think all of us are confused.. ??? :o ???

Kid Cubao
08-03-2006, 11:01 AM
What the heck is an "early" offense? Is there therefore such a thing as a "late" offense?

kamote, early offense is when you attack and force the defense to react rather than act. here you advance the ball quickly into the front court areas and attack before the defense is able to organize itself. a team trained for this launches into early offense mode after the opponent scores or after it gets a defensive rebound or causes a turnover. the university of the assumption in pampanga, of all teams, is very good in early offense. team glory be was only able to win against them when we slowed down the game to a trot and forced them to play halfcourt.

another term for early offense is the "no cheer" attack.

Wang-Bu
08-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Full court press daw ang gagamiting depensa ni Coach K para sa Team USA. Taragis, biglang ipagfu-full court press ang mga NBA player na walang kamuwang-muwang sa press. Ano tingin niyo mga katoto?

Bennie Bangag
08-03-2006, 02:29 PM
They do press (just watch them in the playoffs), but they don't resort to it as their primary defense. The way I see it, I don't think it's that far-fetched because it's not going to be a long tournament. The challenge, though, is in finding NBA players who'll be willing to part with their offseason vacations.

Sam Miguel
08-07-2006, 11:15 PM
What is the best way to break a fullcourt press?

chocoks77
08-08-2006, 01:29 AM

One of the best ways to break a full court press is thru an outlet pass coming from a stack formation. Another is to spread the floor and make the defensive team scamper with all four receivers run in different directions but with the ultimate objective of receiving the ball with the most open space available for dribbling.

Kid Cubao
08-08-2006, 04:51 AM
chocoks, in cubao streetball parlance, that is called, pardon me, the "kalat parang t@e" strategy. you begin in any manner of compressed formation and then you break out and stretch the defensive coverage and let the outlet passer pick his receiver a la troy aikman :)

effective yan. masyado lang unschooled yung ganitong approach, mukhang di ito itinuturo sa coaching academies hehehe!

LION
08-08-2006, 07:44 AM

This used to be the biggest thorn of San Beda until Koy Banal solved it. SBC even shattered the aura of the notorious physical fullcourt press of Letran.

In a nutshell, the best way to break a fullcourt press is to have at least 3 good ballhandlers and lots and lots of preparation. Also, all 5 players must be mentally prepared for it.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-08-2006, 09:13 AM

For me, one way to break the press is to have a big man who has good handles. The press is done to put the ball in a player who has the least dribbling capability and then force the turnover. Or another way is to have crisp passing between the 5 players until you cross the half court. Mental preparation is definitely needed when you face teams doing pressure defense as their bread and butter.

Kid Cubao
08-08-2006, 09:47 AM
to break a basic man-to-man press, the best way is to give the ball to the team's best ballhandler. another is to look for the long-ball option, especially when the coverage tends to overplay.

to break a zone press, just remember that the defense wants you to bring the ball to the sidelines. kaya dapat you should try to keep the ball in the middle at all times. the old standby is the 2-2-1.

there are combination presses like what la salle has used to great success. they begin with man to man, and then when the ball goes upcourt, the nearest defender leaves his man and "jump trap" the ball. on the trap, the other defenders would rotate as the two interceptors played the three other offensive players who will try to receive the pass. a strong, active trap will almost always lead to a soft and lazy pass commonly known as "paagaw."

again, the way to beat this kind of press is to get the ball halfcourt in 8 seconds or less, keep the ball in the middle, and break the traps through quick, crisp passing.

Wang-Bu
08-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Medyo alam natin ang rules ng FIBA tungkol sa players.

May nationality rule ba para sa mga coaches? As in dapat ba Pinoy lang ang mag-coach sa isng RP Team? Naalala ko kasi si Tim Cone ang nag-coach dun sa Centennial Team nung 1998. Kano si Cone 'di ba?

Wang-Bu
08-17-2006, 11:00 PM
Ito pa: alam natin na hangga't maaari dapat pantay lang ang nilalaang pagod at panahon sa opensa at depensa sa laro. Pero hindi kaya dapat mas bigyang halaga ang opensa? Hindi ko sinasabing huwag ng dumepensa ha, sinasabi ko lang na tila yata mas mahalaga ang opensa sa basketball. Gaya nga ng madalas sabihin ni Cubao: ang parating nananalo 'yung mas maraming na-score, at hindi bato ang ibig niyang sabihin (sana...).

Naisip ko lang, para kasing mas kontrolado mo ang kahihinatnan ng opensa kaysa ng depensa. Alam ko maraming nagsasabi na "defense wins games", pero ewan ko lang kung talagang totoo 'yon. Sabihin nating maganda depensa ng isang koponan sa loob ng 23 seconds, tapos biglang pumukol mula sa mga sampung metro ang kalaban tapos pumasok, counted. Kadalasan sasabihin natin "chamba" 'yung tira, at "good defense" na din 'yon. Pero sa totoo lang parang hindi yata, kasi mahirap masabi ang chamba kahit chamba pa. Malamang may magsabi naman "Kaya nga chamba, kasi hindi mo magagawa parati." Maski na, walang halaga ang depensa kapag saksakan ng buenas o saksakan ng galing ang kalaban.

Tingin ko kasi mas kontrolado ng koponan ang kahihinatnan sa opensa. Hindi ako naniniwalang lahat na lang kayo inaalat pagdating sa opensa. Tsaka matagal ko ng sapantaha na mas mahirap ang trabaho parati ng depensa. Mahirap dahil masyado ng malakas, mabilis at talented ang makabago at modernong atleta para mapigilan ng kahit anong depensa. Kaya nga kailangan na minsan ng kakaibang gulang at pang-aasar para lang mabantayan ang mga talagang pinagpalang atleta. Tignan niyo na lang ang sinasabing depensa dati ni Dennis Rodman. Hindi naman depensa talaga 'yon kundi pang-aasar.

Pilosopo mang banat, isipin natin: maganda man ang depensa mo, puro naman kayo bugok pagdating sa mismong pagbuslo, wala rin kayong mahihita. Ang basketball hindi perdegones, paramihan ng puntos dito, hindi pakontian. Dapat lahat kayo matutong pumukol mula sa labas, gumamit ng pick, gumalawa ng wala sa bola, mag-set din ng pick, maghanap ng mga lusutan lalo sa baseline. Mentras nakaka-score ang isang koponan malaking pag-asa nila parati na manalo.

Kaya sa tingin ko lang dapat ang mas pag-ibayuhin opensa.

Ano tingin niyo?

Kid Cubao
08-18-2006, 05:37 AM
yes, that's true. a basketball game is ended when a team outscores its opponent at the end of regulation or overtime. after all, the object of the game is to put the ball through the hoop AND prevent the other team from doing so. kumbaga, secondary lang talaga yung depensa.

coaches like to say they give equal emphasis to offense and defense, but like wang-bu said, the successful ones give greater time teaching offense simply because you can control the outcome whenever you have the ball. in addition, more basketball fundamentals come into play on offense :) just look at rabeh's polished strokes in his mid-range jumpers. you think he woke up one morning and just like that, he's become a one-man zone buster? now imagine fitting that skill within a team context, and you get the general idea.

of course, you can say there are times when you try to create offense through defensive pressure. a problem arises, though, when your opponent's offense outplays your pressure coverage and makes you pay with fastbreak situations. if that's the case, you have no choice but to abandon that strategy and go back to scoring points the usual way.

MargaretThrasher
08-18-2006, 11:31 AM
In yesterday's telecast of the "Battle of the Birds," I think I heard the Adamson courtside reporter said that their coach had told Poloyapoy not to "hog the point." What does this mean? (Did I even hear it right? :P)

Bennie Bangag
08-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Coach Leo Austria was actually reprimanding Poloyapoy when he ordered him to stop "hogging the point." I think he meant for Poloyapoy to stop making plays for himself and instead go back to setting up his teammates. Masyado kasing matagal makarating ang bola kay Ken Bono lalo na nung 4th quarter. Madalas nga'y di na nakakatanggap ng bola si Bono.

Wang-Bu
08-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Ka Bennie, ano po bang pinagkaiba ng deliberate foul at unsportsmanlike foul?

Bennie Bangag
08-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Tatang Wang-Bu, pinaikot mo ag ulo ko sa iyong tanong, kaya minabuti kong konsultahin si Mang Romy Guevarra. Kumusta raw sa inyo, lalo na sa mga fans na naglalabas ng papel na Tito, Vic & Joey pag naiinis sa mga refs ;D

Heto sabi nya: an unsportsmanlike foul is when a defensive player is called for an act of unnecessary roughness while still making a play on the ball. a deliberate foul, on the other hand, is any act of unnecessary roughness that has no intention of playing the ball, in the eyes of the referee.

Classic example: in the open court, a forward is streaking down the lane in a fastbreak. hot on his heels is the lone defensive man. When the forward took off for his layup attempt, so did his defender, who tries to block his shot. But instead of hitting the ball, he inadvertently hits the player's face, whapakk! Araaay! Prrrrt, anong tawag ng ref?

According to Mang Romy, tatawagan ng unsportsmanlike foul ang defensive player kung palad ang tumama sa mukha ng tao nya. Pero kung closed fist, deliberate foul yan. Lumalabas na mukha talaga ang puntirya nya, hindi bola, kung ganun. Two unsportsmanlike fouls of the same nature merit a technical foul shot, while a deliberate foul automatically merits a technical free throw.

Marami pa syang sinabi, pero yun lang ang naalala ko ;D

Sam Miguel
08-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Bennie, perhaps you should ask the venerable Rommy G to register here at gameface.ph. His insights and wisdom will surely be appreciated by all the hardocre hoops fans here.

mangtsito
08-25-2006, 01:57 PM
I've always wanted to ask this but never got around to it (for around 10 years)...

How exactly does the rule on travelling apply in situations where a player makes a shot by driving towards the basket. Am I right with the observation that the extra step is allowed when it is made before elevating for the lay up?

Bennie Bangag
08-25-2006, 02:16 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you are allowed one and a half steps when executing a jump stop or a layup. So it's an extra half-step, mangtsito.

mangtsito
08-25-2006, 02:57 PM
^ Funny, it always seems as if it was 2 and a half (or sometimes even 3) steps. I guessI have to watch closer..

Wang-Bu
08-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Depende sa liga kung anong travelling.

Sa NBA kahit mag-cha cha ka sa poste gaya nina Patrick Ewing at Alonzo Mourning dati OK lang, hindi pa din travelling 'yon.

Sa PBA basta ikaw mismo may dala nung bola dalawa't kalahati ang hakbang na allowed, lalo na kung layup sa fastbreak, gaya nina Dondon Ampalayo at Al Solis dati.

Sa UAAP depende na kung maganda o masamang gising nung mga referee na pipito sa laro ng team niyo. Kung medyo wala sa wisyo, kahit jab step at pivot sa poste travelling na kagad.

christian
08-31-2006, 10:06 PM
About possession arrow, is this scenario possible?

8 seconds to go, team A leading by 2, player from team b is fouled and about to take 2 free throws, made the first one, lead down to 1. Team B's center deliberately/intentionally entered the shaded area before his teammate shoots his 2nd free throw, thus enabling the referee to call a lane violation, but the possession arrow is pointed at team B's side. Ball went into play and team B scored just as the final buzzer sounded, winning the ball game by the help of "possession arrow".

Wang-Bu
08-31-2006, 11:19 PM
Mula nung nagkaroon ng possession arrow ang pagkakaalam ko ginagamit lang siya kapag jumpball ang tawag, hindi kapag may ibang violation. So sa tingin ko lang hindi mangyayari ang sapantaha mo Sir Christian.

Kid Cubao
09-01-2006, 05:54 AM

8 seconds to go, team A leading by 2, player from team b is fouled and about to take 2 free throws, made the first one, lead down to 1. Team B's center deliberately/intentionally entered the shaded area before his teammate shoots his 2nd free throw, thus enabling the referee to call a lane violation, but the possession arrow is pointed at team B's side. Ball went into play and team B scored just as the final buzzer sounded, winning the ball game by the help of "possession arrow".

christian, it appears the table officials failed to reset the possession arrow kung ganun ang nangyari. if team B is taking the free throw, the possession arrow should be pointing in the opposite direction. dapat nakaturo yun sa goal ng team A. if a teammate commits a lane violation, possession should have been awarded to team A.

clutchjedi
09-01-2006, 10:20 AM

Possession arrow is only used when there's a "held-ball" type of situation-- when both teams have a "tie" as to claiming possession, so may paraan dapat determine who will get the ball. In the pros a jump ball is used, while in others like sa UAAP, the arrow is the preferred method.

So if only Team B's player committed the lane violation, we don't consult the possesion arrow. Team A gets the ball, kasi si Team B lang ang nag-violate. (If a Team A player was the one who committed it, may re-take nung last FT it it misses ata.)

If we have a double lane violation (Team A and Team B simultaneously), saka gagamitin ang possession arrow.

If I understand correctly, the possession arrow isn't based on who's on offense or defense or taking a FT. At the start of the game, the arrow will point to the team that LOSES (does not get) the jump ball. This remains until the arrow is invoked (due to a held ball or double lane violation or sabay na out-of-bounds). That team gets the ball, and after that the arrow is now pointed to the other team. The arrow alternates everytime it's invoked.

clutchjedi
09-01-2006, 10:36 AM
^ There's a nice discussion about the possession arrow and its pros & cons from USA Today (2004), "10 Things to Change in Sports" :

* * http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-things-to-change-index.htm

christian
09-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Natutuwa talaga ako kapag nakikita ko yung caption mo sir Wang-Bu, and yung footnote (?) mo Kid Cubao, but there are games when the team who's shooting the free throw and a lane violation is committed (this time by the defensive team) ball is awarded on where the possession arrow is, in that case to the team who shot the free throw.

I'm just playing with my mind, on how to get the best out of the possession arrow :) Thanks!

muddatrucker
09-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Bakit walang tumatalon pag free throw? Since nagsimula akong manood ng basketball, isa pa lang ang nakikita kong tumalon sa free throw and once niya lang ginawa. Nagulat pa nga yung commentator eh.

5FootCarrot
09-04-2006, 07:59 AM
muddatrucker - Maybe so they don't risk landing on the FT line when they come down and have the free throw nullified? Just a guess.

blue.reaction and I have a question - In the UAAP stat sheet, there's a subheading called "WA" under the fouls column (I think). What does "WA" mean? Someone said it meant "with attempt" and we'd like to get confirmation.

???

Kid Cubao
09-04-2006, 08:27 AM
sa totoo lang, may na-miss pa kayong mga subheading. meron ding "WP," at meron pa ring "WK." "WP" stands for "with pleasure," while "WK" stands for "with ketchup." yan yung sabi nina alma at vandolph.

seriously, though, i'm not familiar with that kind of terminology. however, if it means what i'm thinking, then it might mean a foul committed in the act of shooting or in penalty, thereby sending the one fouled to the FT line. of course, i could be totally wrong here.

clutchjedi
09-04-2006, 11:04 AM
however, if it means what i'm thinking, then it might mean a foul committed in the act of shooting or in penalty, thereby sending the one fouled to the FT line. of course, i could be totally wrong here.

Yes, I think this most probably means "with award" - fouls resulting in free throws ?

Kid Cubao
09-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Bakit walang tumatalon pag free throw? Since nagsimula akong manood ng basketball, isa pa lang ang nakikita kong tumalon sa free throw and once niya lang ginawa. Nagulat pa nga yung commentator eh.

masagwa kasing tingnan yung tumatalon pag tumitira ng free throw. ikalawa, you might lose energy taking free throws in the 4th quarter if you always take jump shots behind the charity stripe.

pio_valenz
09-04-2006, 04:00 PM
however, if it means what i'm thinking, then it might mean a foul committed in the act of shooting or in penalty, thereby sending the one fouled to the FT line. of course, i could be totally wrong here.

Yes, I think this most probably means "with award" - fouls resulting in free throws ?

Correct. It means "with award" resulting in free throws for the other team.

masagwa kasing tingnan yung tumatalon pag tumitira ng free throw. ikalawa, you might lose energy taking free throws in the 4th quarter if you always take jump shots behind the charity stripe.

Aside from this, jumping increases the chances of the shooter committing a violation. If he lands on the 15-foot line after he jumps, the shot is nullified.

chocoks77
09-30-2006, 10:11 AM
1. What are the mechanics of the offensive foul? What should an offensive player do, while he is on the air or in mid flight or kung pababa na siya galing sa talon niya, to avoid being called for an offensive foul?

2. Isn't the hop-step-and jump technically a travelling violation?

3. How does a tripping foul occur when the defensive player has his feet planted and is not moving. The defensive player is waiting for contact from the rampaging offensive player who suddenly does a side step but unfortunately trips on the defensive player's foot?

Kid Cubao
10-26-2006, 06:33 PM
offensive fouls are called when when an offensive player runs into a defender who has already established position. in case of a player driving toward the basket, i guess the best way to avoid being called for an offensive foul are the following:

1. avoid the BITBIT LAYUP. those who are fond of this kind of distinctly pinoy layup inadvertently extend their free hand outward in order to balance while in mid-air. if the safety goes up to challenge your layup downcourt, that extended free hand will be your ticket for a ward-off at your expense. leran to lay up the jerry west way.

2. pag pababa ka na, raise both your hands to avoid the push-off against the defender. i'm not saying this will guarantee against a charge, but rather the refs might just give you the benefit of the doubt that you got into position first.

about the hop-step-and-jump, let's just keep in mind the one and half step rule when you take off for the layup. frankly, i've stopped agonizing whether the hop-step-and-jump is acceptable. some refs call it, while others don't bother.

about tripping fouls, all i know is that extending a leg or foot and causing an opponent to lose balance or fall is considered tripping.

Wang-Bu
10-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Offensive foul po ba kung ang binabantayan mong kalaban ay offensive ang amoy...?

Wang-Bu
11-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Hindi pa ba offensive foul 'yung nausong pagtukod ng free arm ng isang pointguard habang inaabante ang bola? Lalo pa't may kasabay pa naman na natural reaciton 'yon, ang pagtulak sa bantay. Dati simplehan lang ang hawing pamprotekta sa bola habang nagdi-dribble, pero nitong mga huling apat hanggang limang taon garapal na garapal ng tukod style na ito. Ang dalawang pinakamalalang gumamit ng ganitong style sina Macky Escalona at Marvin Cruz.

Kid Cubao
11-03-2006, 02:20 PM
wang-bu, hindi offensive foul yun. in fact, that's one of the basics you learn when doing the crossover. whenever you execute a crossover dribble, it is important to protect the ball when you switch from one hand to the other. you do it this way: when you dribble from your right hand to your left, you shouldn't immediately bring down your free hand (in this case the right). use the free hand to protect it from being stripped by keeping it extended.

bluebruiser90
11-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Konting dagdag.* Kung naka extend lang yung free hand, walang foul dyan.* Pag inihawi na o pinangtulak ng mga kamay na sumusundot sa bola, yan bawal na dapat at tatawagan na ng foul.* Parang pag inaangat mo yung mga braso mo sa rebound para pumosisyon at proteksyon sa banggaan, basta't hindi mo itinutukod ng hiwalay sa pag-galaw ng katawan sa posisyunan, pinapayagan yan ng refs.

Joescoundrel
11-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Agence France-Presse
Last updated 02:06pm (Mla time) 11/16/2006

BEIJING -- China's basketball chiefs have vowed to crackdown on "age fraud" after admitting that over-aged players represented their country in international youth matches, state press said Thursday.

"I'm sorry to say that some of our past results from international youth games were not real as we had some over-aged players in the squads," the China Daily quoted Zhang Xiong, a China Basketball Association (CBA) training director, as saying.

"Age fraud is the cancer of the development of our youth teams, we will start a war against age fraud as we have against doping."

Zhang did not identify the players who had cheated, or which international tournaments they had played at.

To combat the scourge, the CBA will introduce "bone age detecting machines" for domestic youth tournaments and require all players to present official proof of age documentation, the report said.

Players lying about their age will be banned and their teams fined up to 10,000 yuan ($1,270 dollars), it added.

I picked this up from inq7.net. What is the max age for Youth Tournaments now anyway? Is it still 19 years and under?

Kid Cubao
11-21-2006, 02:07 PM
about time the chinese did something about this travesty. the worst instance is when the chinese youth squad in the mid-80s was led by point guard adiljan. not only was he so obviously overaged (he was already midway into male pattern baldness), but serious doubts have been raised about his citizenship because of his unique name.

oca
11-21-2006, 02:42 PM
The consequence of being the Olympic host.

China is taking these steps because aside from the Olympics they are hosting numerous int'l events that serves as a dry run for the different venues. Among these events are youth championships.

Hindi nga naman maganda tignan kung host mismo ay di sumusunod sa patakaran.

Pero huwag isipin ng iba that this boost the Philippines' chances of regaining the Youth title in Asia. Hangga't di sumusunod yung mga Middle East countries sa age limits, mahirap na tayong manalo uli sa FIBA-Asia Youth C'ships.

JonarSabilano
11-21-2006, 05:57 PM
about time the chinese did something about this travesty. the worst instance is when the chinese youth squad in the mid-80s was led by point guard adiljan. not only was he so obviously overaged (he was already midway into male pattern baldness), but serious doubts have been raised about his citizenship because of his unique name.

I agree with you re: the obvious age disparity, but there are certain tribes in China that use only one name. "Adiljan", for example, is somewhat a common name among the Uighurs of western China, the majority of whom are Muslim. Another Chinese player with a seemingly non-Chinese name would be Bateer Mengke, who comes from the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region just north of Beijing.

Wang-Bu
11-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Sir Jonar magkaano-ano kaya sina Bateer at Eric? Ibig bang sabihin may dugong-Mongol si Eric? ;D

Sam Miguel
11-22-2006, 05:03 PM
From Seth Davis of SI.com

If you perused the list of the top-rated high school players who signed letters-of-intent earlier this month, one entry may have caught your eye: James Harden, a 6-foot-5 guard at Artesia High in Lakewood, Calif., signed to play for Arizona State. It's been a long time since the Sun Devils inked a top-flight player from southern California (RISE's No. 28 player in the class of '07), so Harden's commitment is no small matter for first-year coach Herb Sendek.

Look a little closer, however, and you'll discern some rather connectable dots. Last June, Sendek hired Artesia's head coach, Scott Pera, to be his director of basketball operations. Sendek also offered a scholarship to Derek Glasser, Artesia's point guard who had previously planned to walk on at USC. Then, on Aug. 9, Harden gave Sendek his oral commitment.

When I asked Sendek about these dots this week, he gave the answers you might expect. Pera won championships in two different states (Pennsylvania and California), he's a bright guy and a great leader he hopes is on his staff long after Derek and James are gone, blah blah blah. Having met Pera several times and having seen him coach, I can confirm everything Sendek says about him is true.

However, when I suggested to Sendek he could have declined to recruit Harden to avoid the appearance of impropriety, he replied, "And instead of playing in the Pac-10, we could play in the fantasy league. It's our job as coaches to get the best players possible."

Now, I'm not saying Sendek hired Pera and signed Glasser solely for the purpose of convincing Harden of coming to ASU. That, of course, would be against NCAA rules. What I am saying is, if Sendek hired Pera mostly for the purpose of landing Harden, there is nothing wrong with it. In fact, you could argue it would have been foolish for Sendek to have done otherwise. Because if he didn't hire Pera, someone else might have, and that someone could have landed Harden as a result.

I must confess, I have come a long way on this issue. When I first broke into covering college basketball more than a decade ago, I was shocked that these types of package deals went down. It seemed coaches everywhere were giving jobs to high school coaches, AAU/summer coaches, fathers, uncles, distant cousins, best buddies and the like for the express purpose of recruiting a player. I knew this had to be unethical because nobody ever admitted to what they were doing.

But the more I've covered this sport, the more I've come to understand just how common these package deals are. Given all the other nefarious activities taking place in the underworld of recruiting, the package hire actually looks quite tame by comparison.

After all, Sendek can scan the country and see all kinds of connectable dots -- starting within his own conference. USC's starting point guard is 6-5 freshman Daniel Hackett, whose father Rudy is the Trojans' strength and conditioning manager. (Rudy Hackett played at Syracuse and then professionally in the ABA and overseas.) A few weeks ago, UCLA hired Clay McKnight, whose father, Gary, happens to be the coach at Mater Dei High in Santa Ana, Calif. You think having Clay, who has previously worked at Oregon State, Syracuse and USC, might give the Bruins a leg up in their pursuit of David and Travis Wear, 6-foot-10 sophomore twins at Mater Dei? I think so, too.

Ronnie Chalmers is currently Kansas' director of basketball operations and his son, Mario, is a starting sophomore guard. Shady? Perhaps -- but no less shady than former KU coach Larry Brown's decision two decades ago to hire Ed Manning, who at the time was working as a truck driver in North Carolina. Manning's son, Danny, came to Lawrence (ironically spurning UNC, Brown's alma mater) and eventually delivered the Jayhawks to the 1988 NCAA title. A lot of people thought Brown's move was sleazy, but I can introduce you to 2.6 million residents in the state of Kansas who would argue it was the most brilliant hire in college basketball history.

A lot of my colleagues feverishly wrung their hands last spring after newly hired Kansas State coach Bob Huggins poached assistant Dalonte Hill straight off of Bobby Lutz's staff at Charlotte. Hill is a former coach with the elite summer club D.C. Assault, which featured stud 6-9 forward Michael Beasley. At the time Huggins hired Hill, Beasley was committed to Charlotte, but this month Beasley signed to play for -- you guessed it -- Kansas State. Huggins was slammed for the move, but did it ever occur to the slammers that Lutz may have also hired Hill for the purpose of getting Beasley?

This past summer, Pittsburgh coach Jamie Dixon hired another D.C. Assault coach, David Cox, to be his director of basketball operations. One of Pitt's four early signees is Darnell Dodson, a 6-7 forward from Greenbelt, Md. Care to guess which AAU team Dodson played for?

You can even connect dots at that noted bastion of hoops dominance, Colorado State. Last spring, embattled Rams coach Dale Layer hired Brian Joyce, who had spent four years as head coach at Northeastern Junior College in Sterling, Colo. During the early signing period, CSU inked two Northeastern recruits, who next year will join a roster that already includes two more of Joyce's former players at Northeastern. One of those players, 6-3 guard Tyler Smith, is arguably the best recruit ever to come to Colorado State.

A more incendiary scenario just unfolded in Bloomington, Ind., where first-year IU coach Kelvin Sampson signed 6-2 guard Eric Gordon after Gordon reneged on his oral commitment to Illinois. It certainly didn't hurt Sampson's cause that he hired not one but two assistants with direct ties to Gordon: Jeff Meyer, who coached Gordon's father at Liberty University, and Travis Steele, who coached Gordon in summer ball and is the team's new video coordinator. Is that ethical? I suppose your answer depends on whether you live in Illinois or Indiana.

It does not take a lot of research to uncover many more historical examples of what could reasonably be construed as "package" hirings. Dale Brown practically invented the idea back in his heyday at LSU. (Former Tigers Rudy Macklin, Nikita Wilson and Stanley Roberts all arrived in a package.) Wade Houston was Darrell Griffith's high school coach before he was an assistant at Louisville. After Houston was hired at Tennessee, his son, Allan, backed out of his commitment to Louisville so he could play for his dad. (Yes, athletic directors can play this game, too.) Current Creighton coach Dana Altman was Mitch Richmond's junior college coach before he joined the staff at Kansas State, Richmond's alma mater.

And right on down the line: Billy Tubbs hired Wayman Tisdale's high school coach at Oklahoma, Steve Fisher hired Jalen Rose's high school coach at Michigan, Rick Pitino hired Jamaal Magloire's high school coach at Kentucky, Steve Lappas hired Tim Thomas' high school coach at Villanova, Billy Donovan hired Mike Miller's AAU coach at Florida and John Calipari hired Dajuan Wagner's father, Milt, at Memphis. Calipari also gave Dajuan Wagner's high school teammate and best friend a scholarship to Memphis, just to be sure.

When I first started poking around this stuff many people -- noting that I am a Duke grad -- would remind me current Notre Dame coach Mike Brey was hired at Duke as an assistant from DeMatha in Hyattsville, Md., the same high school that produced Duke great Danny Ferry. More recently, Trajan Langdon's father was a visiting professor of anthropology at Duke while Trajan was playing for the Blue Devils. Before moving to Durham, Steve Langdon worked as an anthropology professor at the University of Alaska-Anchorage, so I have no doubt he was well-qualified for that position. Who's to say that's not also the case for all the examples listed above?

Hiring a coach on the condition of a player's enrollment is a direct violation of NCAA Bylaw 13.9.3.3.1, which prohibits any kind of "verbal employment agreement." But even when you can see a quid and a quo, it's very hard to prove a pro. (Former New Mexico State coach Neil McCarthy is the only recent example of a coach sanctioned for violating this bylaw back in 1996.) I'm not thrilled that this kind of thing is going on, but if I really try to put myself in these coaches' shoes -- if I imagine my livelihood hangs on the whims of 17 year olds -- I can't honestly say for sure I would do anything different. Coaches have to win or they're fired, and a coach needs good players to win. If making a package-deal hire constitutes selling out, maybe that's not all that heavy a price to pay.

Sam Miguel
11-22-2006, 05:04 PM
I got the above persuing US NCAA basketball news. Hmm, considering the rather highly publicized scandals regarding recruitment of late, I wonder if we have any of this going on hereabouts...?

Joescoundrel
11-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Here's a semi-pilosopo kind of question: Why do coaches and teams assign positions and why is this mostly based on size? Why is a guy a guard, a forward, a center, etc-etc...?

I ask because I've often wondered: Why not just let a highly skilled player play the way he wants so that he is always at his most comfortable on the court? I'm thinking: If a player is as comfortable as he can be playing then he will be at his most productive right?

Concrete illustration: Paolo Bugia's only sin is to be 6'6". Because of his height he has always played either center o power forward. But anyone who has ever followed Bugia's basketball career will know that he has never been totally comfortable as a post/power player, as demanded by the position that is dictated by his size. I often wonder: What if Bugia had been allowed to be a fulltime small forward, the position his overall mentality and game seem made for? Would he not have been a more productive player overall had he not been forced to play positions he was not totally comfortable with?

Another illustration: What about physical freaks like Lebron James? At 6'8" and a muscular 240 pounds, with immense athletic powers he could play either forward position and be very productive. Yet because he can also handle, run and shoot from the outside, he is actually designated as a guard (2/1, sometimes 2/3). But doesn't he simply defy these conventions with all of his basketball gifts? He is beyond positions already. Isn't being designated a certain position actually detrimental to his, and ultimately the team's, overall performance?

MonL
11-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Here's a semi-pilosopo kind of question: Why do coaches and teams assign positions and why is this mostly based on size? Why is a guy a guard, a forward, a center, etc-etc...?

I ask because I've often wondered: Why not just let a highly skilled player play the way he wants so that he is always at his most comfortable on the court? I'm thinking: If a player is as comfortable as he can be playing then he will be at his most productive right?

Concrete illustration: Paolo Bugia's only sin is to be 6'6". Because of his height he has always played either center o power forward. But anyone who has ever followed Bugia's basketball career will know that he has never been totally comfortable as a post/power player, as demanded by the position that is dictated by his size. I often wonder: What if Bugia had been allowed to be a fulltime small forward, the position his overall mentality and game seem made for? Would he not have been a more productive player overall had he not been forced to play positions he was not totally comfortable with?

Another illustration: What about physical freaks like Lebron James? At 6'8" and a muscular 240 pounds, with immense athletic powers he could play either forward position and be very productive. Yet because he can also handle, run and shoot from the outside, he is actually designated as a guard (2/1, sometimes 2/3). But doesn't he simply defy these conventions with all of his basketball gifts? He is beyond positions already. Isn't being designated a certain position actually detrimental to his, and ultimately the team's, overall performance?

Joe,

For the rest of us common people, physical attributes dictate the way we play if we do not bring any additional things to the table. Attitudes being equal, the tallest people play center, rebound and stay inside the paint because* because they can get to the ball first or play closer to the basket; the small guys are faster and can dribble closer to the ground thus are better at handling the ball, etc. Players in between* can be less typecast depending on the skill and strength they contribute* thus they can swing in between the 3 or 4 spot,* play quick, shoot well and/or can rebound.

Paolo's case can be a cause for debate. DLSU has the same potential predicament with Marko Batricevic's 3-spot tendencies in a 5's body. Where or in what manner can these players contribute most? Who should adapt, the team or the player?

Once in a while, certain players with special qualities appear on the scene, so coaches and teams better be ready to just let them play. Magic Johnson's coaches* from Michigan State to the Lakers had the good sense to let him play to his strengths and they came out winning. It may have* been a funny sight to have a 6'9" player run the team and have 6'2 Norm Nixon or 6'4" Byron Scott play the 2. But no one complained. Charles Barkley, generously listed in the beginning at 6'6" but really was 6'4", became one of the greatest rebounders in NBA history through sheer force of will and desire. Bottom line is, if they CAN do it their way, to heck with conventional wisdom, let them play.

In LeBron's case, 1, 2 and 3 are just number designates, and do not restrict him in any way. His other teammates, though, should be ready to play with him always, and that means they have to do the adapting to his extraordinary game.

Kid Cubao
11-28-2006, 08:58 PM
you know what joe, i bet this has been the topic of many an all-nighter even among coaches. kahit tayo madalas na ring napag-usapan ito, and frankly even i myself have not been fully satisfied with my views on the matter. so let me think harder again... here it goes.

basketball is the most fluid of all team sports, more fluid even than soccer. thus in basketball players don't really fill in positions like in baseball or american football. to wit, in baseball, one knows who the pitcher, catcher, 1st, 2nd, 3rd basemen and the outfielders are simply by looking at their position in the field. same with american football if you know how it's played--only the backs and the receivers are allowed to move five yards or more beyond the line of scrimmage in any down. the big offensive linemen can only block along the line of scrimmage. if they are caught by the referees breaking the five-yard rule, they get tagged with an offside violation and is penalized accordingly. ah well, so much for that.

that's why good coaches try to develop a system where their players can develop their full potential, not just fill in positions. on the part of the players, i think it would be a good idea for players not to get caught up in the expectation of fans but rather establish their own values. that means you teach your players the fundamentals of sound individual and team play, but you leave it up to them to pursue their own standards on how to play their respective positions whether guard, forward, or center.

in the case of paolo bugia, he knew that at 6'6, he will have to rebound, play post defense, and do things expected of players his height. yet it's clear he also wanted to incorporate the flexibility of the other positions into his play as center. of the positions in basketball, center is, i think, the most structured, and only time will tell if he has found his true playing identity.

Wang-Bu
11-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Madalas namin itong pagtalunan ng mga kainuman ko.

Pwera lang naman kung meron kang mga obvious at nakikitang "skill set" (sa wika ng mga dalubhasa sa IT) sa isang player, mahirap nga talagang ikahon ang isang player bilang gwardiya, forward o sentro. Gaya ng mga nabanggit na ng ating mga katoto, may ilan talagang tao na talaga namang na-gang rape na yata ng buenas, kaya nilang laruin ang lahat ng posisyon. Si Magic Johnson forward nung siya ay Spartan, naging fulltime pointguard sa Lakers sa NBA, pero kaya niyang laruin lahat ng pwesto gaya ng pinamalas niya sa Sixers nung 1980 NBA Finals.

Minsan sa isang interview natanong ang Kevin Garnet kung kaya daw ba niyang mag-pointguard. Ang kanyang sagot: "Could I play pointguard, hell yeah!" At bagama't may halong pasiklab na ang pahayag ni Garnet na iyon, sa nakikita naman sa laro niya, hindi mahirap isipin na kaya nga niyang maging ang kauna-unahang 7-foot pointguard sa kasysayan ng laro. May pukol siya sa labas, marunong magdala ng bola at pumasa, mabilis tumakbo, magaling bumasa ng depensa, matalinong dumiskarte at hindi dinadaan lahat sa tangkad, lakas at lukso, madaling nakakaintindi ng gustong mangyari ng coach. Hindi kaya iyan na nga ang katangian ng isang matinong pointguard? Nagkataon lang 7-footer na forward si Garnet, ganun din ang 6-10 na si Lamar Odom, o kahit ang 6-9 na si Antoine Walker.

Kapag ganitong mga skill set na kasi ang pinag-uusapan medyo mahirap ng magtuturo ka lang sa player gawa ng tangkad niya at sabihing ganito o ganyan ang pwesto mo.

Meron din namang kabilang dako ang usapan na damay din ang argumentong skill set: Papano ba mas makakatulong sa isang koponan ang player? Kunwari, ang isang Larry Bird na matindi ang pukol sa labas pwede na sanang maging isang taga-asinta lang at malamang naging All Star at champion pa din siya. Pero dahil magaling siyang magdala ng bola, pumasa at makakita ng kakampi, hindi lang siya tagatanggap ng pasa at titira, naging isa din siyang tagapasa sa iba niyang kakampi. Mas magaling na shooter sa tingin ko ang mga gaya nina Reggie Miller at Glen Rice kaysa kay Bird, pero bakit si Bird nagretirong maraming beses na champion at MVP, at ang dalawang ito ay hindi? Si Penny Hardaway kaya din niyang pumukol mula sa labas at tumanggap ng mga alley-oop kasi ang galing niyang gumalaw ng wala sa bola. Pero 'di hamak pa ding mas epektibo siya kapag nasa kamay niya ang bola at hinahayaan siyang dumiskarte, que siya mismo ang gagawa o naghahanap siya ng kakamping mapapasahan para gumawa.

Pero iilan lang naman ang ganitong kagaling na manlalaro?

Tama si Sir MonL, kung hindi ka rin lang kasintitindi ng mga nabanggit ko na na manlalaro pinakamadali pa din na batayan ng posisyon sa laro ang laki kaysa ang galing. Ang mga pinakamagagaling naman na manlalaro sa daigdig sa totoo lang ay sakto sa posisyon ang kanilang laki: Si Yao Ming na 7-5 sentro kahit na may pukol siya at magaling din pumasa. Si Dirk Nowitzki na 7-0 power forward kahit na kaya niyang tumira ng tres at magdala ng bola. Si Carmelo Anthony small forward. Si Kobe Bryant 2-guard. Si Steve Nash pointguard. Kung titignan sakto naman sa kani-kanilang pwesto ang mga ito kung titignan ang kanilang tangkad.

Kid Cubao
11-29-2006, 04:55 AM
larry bird is an example of a complete player, probably the best all-around baller there ever was. for all his reputed talents as a shooter, ballhandler, etc., how many of us are aware that he averaged over 10 rebounds a game IN HIS CAREER?

anyway, i think i would leave it to the players to continually reinvent their positions as they see fit. if he's a center who's more comfortable stepping out for the open three, or if he's a bruising power forward who happens to be the best ballhandler under pressure, or a point guard who posts up, no problem with me.

chocoks77
11-29-2006, 08:55 AM
larry bird is an example of a complete player, probably the best all-around baller there ever was. for all his reputed talents as a shooter, ballhandler, etc., how many of us are aware that he averaged over 10 rebounds a game IN HIS CAREER?

it only reinforces my earlier position, wang-bu. at the risk of sounding didactic and pa-know-it-all, i would just like to reiterate that it is advisable for players not to get caught up in the expectation of fans but rather establish their own values. coaches will teach their players the fundamentals of sound individual and team play, but you leave it up to them to pursue their own standards on how to play their respective positions.

Parang Air21 sa PBA. Ganito laro nila no, parang walang set plays. Play to your own preference

JonarSabilano
11-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Sir Jonar magkaano-ano kaya sina Bateer at Eric? Ibig bang sabihin may dugong-Mongol si Eric? ;D

Baka common ancestor nila si Genghis Khan.* Malay mo, baka kasama ang lolo ng lolo ng lolo ng lolo ni Eric Menk sa Golden Horde na lumusob sa Hungary noong Middle Ages. ;D

brian
11-29-2006, 02:41 PM

it only reinforces my earlier position, wang-bu. at the risk of sounding didactic and pa-know-it-all, i would just like to reiterate that it is advisable for players not to get caught up in the expectation of fans but rather establish their own values. coaches will teach their players the fundamentals of sound individual and team play, but you leave it up to them to pursue their own standards on how to play their respective positions.

Parang Air21 sa PBA. Ganito laro nila no, parang walang set plays. Play to your own preference

kaya importante ang madunong na point guard sa situwasyon na ganito, dapat alam nila kung kelan at saan ipapasa ang bola....kasi for some offensive players, pag tanggap ng bola atake na agad kasi yun ang papel nila ,..

Sam Miguel
12-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Basketball being a team game it is important that players play in order to help their team win. Letting a player play at his "comfort" position, whatever that position may be, is not necessarily going to help a team get a win. Going to Kevin Garnet's declaration of being able to play the point, I do not doubt for a moment that he really could. And yes he would be the most colossal matchup problem in the history of the NBA as a pointguard. But will his Timberwolves finally at least make the NBA Finals with a 7'1" 240-pound pointguard? I doubt it.

Let's look at it this way: At his size he could easily shoot over and pass over any other guard, or heck, even any other forward. But if he were to play the perimeter, as is the role of the pointguard, who would get rebounds and block shots and man the lane for the Timberwolves? Basketball is a game of percentages, i.e. the higher the percentages taken in favor of a team the more likely they will win, hence layups are preferred to 21-foot jumpshots or even three-pointers. KG gets his way at least 97% of the time in the lane with his athleticism, speed and agility, maening he's getting good precentages for his team. What would happen if he had to set up plays, pass to people, and hang around in the perimeter in case of a kickout pass or a pick and pop? Would he still be getting percentages that high?

Larry Bird for his part was a dead-eye shooter from a hundred miles away which is primarily why he was so dangerous; you simply could not leave Larry Legend unguarded. The fact that he could pass and find open teammates and handles as if he had four arms and hands and three pairs of eyes made him all the more dangerous, exponentially so. He was practically the ultimate point forward of his generation. But could he have helped the celtics as much as he did if he had played pointguard full time?

The bottomline is simply playing a position in order to best help your team win. If that means sacrificing your favorite spot on either box just to facilitate better ball movement to take better advantage of shooters and slashers then so be it. If it means taking two or three less kamikaze drives to the hoop to find your man on the pick and roll then so be it. Ultimately it is not about positions or "comfort", it is about the team and the W.

Kid Cubao
12-01-2006, 08:35 PM
you know what, the best players don't really think anymore, they just react. they just do whatever it takes to win, but they operate with the flow of the game, not against it. now if KG wishes to play point guard, then let him--on condition that he doesn't disrupt the flow of his team's game plan and doesn't hurt the squad in the process. pwede naman yun eh--there are coaches who periodically mix up their matchups on purpose. now if KG at point guard is hurting the t-wolves more than its supposed advantages, aba'y syempre dapat baguhin mo na ang strategy na yan at wag nang patagalin ;D

Sam Miguel
12-06-2006, 05:33 PM
What's the best way to scout a team?

Is there a "wrong" or "right" way to scout a team?

MonL
12-07-2006, 08:15 AM
What's the best way to scout a team?

Is there a "wrong" or "right" way to scout a team?

Since the topic is scouting, here’s something I remember, IIRC: One episode in the comic strip "Peanuts" touched on the baseball season wherein Linus was tasked by Charlie Brown to scout their opponent (Linus: You want me to be a SPY? Charlie Brown: No, a scout. I want you to be a baseball scout ;D). Later, the whole team (Lucy, Charlie Brown, Snoopy and the rest of the Peanuts Gang) listened intently as he spoke after he returned. Here’s his scouting report:

Linus: I saw this team, see, and they were terrible. They couldn’t do anything right. There’s this loud-mouthed girl in right field that’s always bossy (Lucy then looks strangely). They have this animal playing shortstop (Snoopy raises an eyebrow). And they have this round-headed kid who couldn’t pitch at all (Charlie Brown ponders on what he heard). He…..

The Peanuts Gang:* YOU SCOUTED YOUR OWN TEAM!!!!!!!! * :D

5FootCarrot
12-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Can anyone give me info or a link to a site regarding the dimensions of a regulation basketball goalpost (i.e., how tall is it, how big should the backboard and hoop be)?

Kid Cubao
12-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Can anyone give me info or a link to a site regarding the dimensions of a regulation basketball goalpost (i.e., how tall is it, how big should the backboard and hoop be)?

let's begin with the court dimensions. in the NBA and PBA, the court dimensions are 94 ft. (28.65 meters) x 50 ft. (15.24 m). a FIBA court is slightly smaller, 91.87 ft (28 meters) x 49.21 ft (15 meters).

the height of the basketball goal from the floor is fixed at 10 ft or 3.05 meters. the backboard is 1.80 meters in width and 1.05 meters in height. the hoop is 1.41 meters in circumference--if it were slightly bigger, two basketballs can pass through the hoop simultaneously. i know two soccer balls can ;D

Sam Miguel
12-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Are there skills in general that are taught to players regardless of size or position? I'm sure this would apply to shooting freethrows for instance. But are there other skills? I would think any good player would know how to shoot, dribble, pass, rebound, play defense, etc-etc.

I ask because I've always heard hoops pundits say things like "He passes well for a bigman..." or "She rebounds well for a guard..." or "He's got great touch from the outside for a center..." or "She's the best passing forward in the league..." When I hear these things I get this impression that it is as if those skills are not supposed to be exhibited or even learned at those positions, or at a given size.

Could this be the reason why I keep hearing another oft-said remark the past couple of years: "Players nowadays have weak fundamentals..." Have we been teaching/training players too much as specialists because of size and/or position to the detriment of the development of their overall game?

Kid Cubao
12-08-2006, 07:33 AM
sam, every basketball player should learn the skills necessary to be a triple threat on offense, so he has to learn to shoot, pass, and dribble well. dapat dyan ka magsimula. next is learning to play away from the ball, so a basketball player has to learn how to properly set screens and picks, how to cut (i.e. you must always cut on sharp angles, never on elliptical or circular angles), how to space, etc.

unfortunately, there are many coaches these days who are not as particular about fundamentals, partly because their mandate is turn things around in their first two seasons. but coaches are only part of the problem. equally culpable to some degree is sports TV's preoccupation with highlight plays and the high-flying exploits of marquee stars. KG, AI, lebron, and d-wade are all great players, but it is unfortunate that ESPN opted to showcase their gravity-defying athleticism instead of their sound fundamentals like lebron's flair for involving his teammates or how KG and AI get properly squared for their jumpers. ah well, this is all nitpicking at this point.

for me, the best basketball i've ever watched was in the 80s, when magic and larry turned the NBA into their personal playground. watching them and their teams play was the equivalent of attending master classes on basketball execution as it was played uptempo (the lakers) and as it was played deliberately (the celtics). you couldn't get any better than that. the bulls and the jazz in the 90s come a close second.

5FootCarrot
12-08-2006, 07:51 AM
the height of the basketball goal from the floor is fixed at 10 ft or 3.05 meters.
Clarification lang - The 10 ft is from the top of the backboard to the floor?

Kid Cubao
12-08-2006, 07:56 AM
^^ yung ring lang. the top of the backboard (kung saan naglalampungan yung mga butiki) is estimated to be over 11 ft. high.

Wang-Bu
12-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Meron ng nagbanggit nito dati: Nung mga bata pa lang ang mga player, tipong nasa elementarya pa lang, sigurado ako na lahat ng mga skills pinapakita nila, mag-dribble ng simple o ng mga padaan-daan pa sa mga binti at sa likod, pumasa ng simple o mga ala-Magic o Jawo, pumukol mula salabas, kahit lampas-lampasan pa sa tres. Kaya nga lang nawawala din unti-unti ang mga ganitong skills gawa ng kanilang pagtanda at paglaki. Bihirang-bihira kunwari ang mga bigman na kaya pa ding mag-dribble at tumira mula sa labas na gaya nung kanilang kamusmosan gaya nina Ramon Fernandez at Danny Fernandez. Sigurado ako walang coach na nagsabi sa kanila na huwag na silang maglaro ng ganun kaya ayon, hanggang sa pagtanda nila lahat ng skills nila kumpleto at napakahirap pa nilang bantayan, kasi nga naman ang mga kapwa nila bigman hindi na alam kung papano magbantay ng mga gaya nina Don Ramon at Danny na kayang maglaro mula sa labas.

May punto si Sir Cubao, kadalasan talaga coach din ang may kagagawan kung bakit naglalaho ang dating kumpletong skills ng isang player. Sa UE na lang, alala ko pa nung magpa-practise kami nina Mar Morelos at Braulio Lim, laking galit ni Coach Francis Rodriguez kapag nakikitang tumitira sa labas o nage-exhibition ng dribble ang dalawa naming poste. Ganun din kapag ang mga gwardya gaya nina Ernie Quidilla, Jumbo Cruz at Bobby Diloy nage-experimento sa poste. E kung hinayaan sana ni Coach Francis ang mga 'yon nagkaroon sana siya ng mas maraming options sa laro.

Sam Miguel
12-14-2006, 07:16 PM
THE SPECIALIST VS MR VERSATILITY

Funny how hardcore hoops fans and even career hoops people often talk about two kinds of players: those who are versatile like Swiss Knives and those who are Specialists.

The distinction is self-explanatory: Players are considered versatile if they can play at least three positions with alacrity and aplomb. They are specialists if they have that one (sometimes two) particular skill that they can hang their hat on.

Versatile types include Magic Johnson, Scottie Pippen, Ramon Fernandez, Latrell Sprewell, Kevin Garnett and Sonny Jaworski.

Specialists include the likes of Ben Wallace, Dennis Rodman, Reggie Miller, Bruce Bowen, Manute Bol, Dikembe Mutombo, Chito Loyzaga and Allan Caidic.

Versatile players tend to allow their teams a lot of flexibility and options especially in terms of matchups. Sprewell for instance was a natural 2-guard who could play the point and even be a hybrid superfast hyper athletic 3 in given situations. Magic and the Big J have played all five positions on the court many times throughout their respective storied careers. Noticeable among the versatile types is their at least above-average size at a given position. At a highly athletic 7-feet Garnett is a nightmare for any other frontline player regardless of position. He can overpower the traditional small forwards, outquick power forwards and outmaneuver centers. Pippen could match up with anybody from a pointguard to a power forward and still kick in 20 points and a half-dozen assists from his natural 3 position.

Specialists for their part bring a different kind of tenacity and consistency to their teams. Rodman could haul in 20 rebounds off both boards while containing the best player on the opposing team. Miller wasn´t much in any other respect but was in constant motion without the ball and could catch and shoot or spot and shoot from up to 40 feet away, making him a dangerous commodity in any situation.

Comes now the question: If you had to fill up the last spot on your roster, who would you take, a specialist or a versatile type?

Kid Cubao
12-15-2006, 08:17 AM
sam miguel, i would take a specialist/role player, preferably a scrappy defender or rebounder. the reason is that:

1. your best players should be able to deliver in both ends of the floor;

2. there are no off games for players of this type, and the energy they bring whenever they're in the court is infectious to teammates.

MonL
12-15-2006, 10:51 AM
THE SPECIALIST VS MR VERSATILITY

In the early PBA years, versatile multi-position players were called “utilities.” Thus we came upon distinct players like Padim Israel, Epoy Alcantara and Abet Gutierrez who were so designated, as compared to the others previously mentioned who were identified more by their conventional sounding positions, but multi-role just the same. Unfortunately here, utilities usually do a lot of good things but nothing exceptional (re: all-star caliber).

As to the choice of player for the last position, you would probably need to ask as well: do you intend to use all of the players in the roster significantly? Some are designated specialists/multi-role players but rarely have playing time, as the usual rotation is 8-9 players deep. And thus their role is minimized, as there are others higher in the pecking order that do what they do and get to play. As a result these specialists/versas become simply bench fodder/practice players and rot.

Going by oca’s mantra of games being won by one with the highest score, I too would probably pick a defensive specialist. All my players should play defense, and sustain that defense all game round. I would have had enough players to keep me ahead on points anyway, but all my players should stop the other team from scoring, so that we could overcome/ward off as the case may be.

And thus, specialists usually are the players who fill up the roster, as versatile players should already be in it. You rarely pick a shooter (somewhat akin to a “Designated Hitter” in baseball) for the last slot, as players with that specialty should already be in the regular rotation, and you have to have lots of options at your disposal all game round.

Kid Cubao
12-15-2006, 11:44 AM
^^ couldn't have said it any better :)

chocoks77
12-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Ano ang masasabi niyo sa mga bansang kumukuha ng mga manlalarong tinatawag na naturalized players? Halimbawa, ang Qatar nag-aalok ng citizenship, pabahay habang buhay, at least 1000USD a month for the rest of their lives, etc. Ang Singapore naman may 2 naturalized chinese, ang Japan meron din, ang Thailand yata meron na din.

Hindi lang ito sa larangan ng basketball, nangyayari din ito sa athletics, ang Bahrain at Qatar kumuha na nga mga Kenyan, inalok ng benepisyo hanggang sila'y mamatay.

Nakakatulong ba ito?Saan?

Kid Cubao
12-15-2006, 07:52 PM
this issue of naturalization has always been a touchy subject even today in the age of open global competition. as it appears, countries that have the financial means to spend for imported talent will do so for the sake of athletic glory.

para sa akin, ok lang siguro na may naturalized players sa lineup. meron nang mga bagong patakaran dyan ang FIBA, in case you haven't heard yet. for FIBA club competition, there's no limit to the number of foreign or naturalized players in the lineup. however, for FIBA national team competitions, no more than two naturalized players will be allowed for each team, provided these naturalized players have not previously played for the national teams of their original countries.

syempre iba rin yung kaso ng ating mga fil-ams. even though many of them hold dual citizenships, there's no limit to their numbers, provided they have proof of filipino lineage. in that case, they're not considered as naturalized or whatever.

chocoks77
12-15-2006, 08:59 PM
for FIBA club competition, there's no limit to the number of foreign or naturalized players in the lineup. however, for FIBA national team competitions, no more than two naturalized players will be allowed for each team, provided these naturalized players have not previously played for the national teams of their original countries.

Ito alam ko ito. Sa SEA games no doubt we will still dominate, sa Asian side kaya makabawi pa tayo?

Kid Cubao
12-15-2006, 09:09 PM
chocoks, i think we still can. the important thing, though, is for us to overwhelm them on defense. press them all game long, wear them down with unyielding man-to-man defense, and confuse them by disguising our defensive coverages. just hope we still have enough left on our tanks to score when we have possession.

it may sound silly and self-obvious, but i strongly feel our asian opponents don't have the mental toughness to last us if we would focus our intensity on defense. kung papanoorin mo yung mga laro sa asian games, parang kinakapos sa huli lahat ng mga teams na kala mo mga teleponong na-diskarga. may hulog sana sa atin ang mga makakalaban sa doha asiad.

chocoks77
12-15-2006, 11:21 PM
chocoks, i think we still can. the important thing, though, is for us to overwhelm them on defense. press them all game long, wear them down with unyielding man-to-man defense, and confuse them by disguising our defensive coverages. just hope we still have enough left on our tanks to score when we have possession.

it may sound silly and self-obvious, but i strongly feel our asian opponents don't have the mental toughness to last us if we would focus our intensity on defense. kung papanoorin mo yung mga laro sa asian games, parang kinakapos sa huli lahat ng mga teams na kala mo mga teleponong na-diskarga. may hulog sana sa atin ang mga makakalaban sa doha asiad.

Kuya Cubao :D, I agree with you regarding the Asian Games observation. Baka na-ooverwhelm sila sa weather sa Doha. Sarap dun pag ganitong panahon, sobrang lamig at sobrang mahangin. Tsaka baka hindi tinatantanan yung buffet food sa athlete's village kaya kinakapos sa huli.

Dapat ang training ng team natin at least 6 months to a year tapos ala Richmond High School ni Coach Carter

muddatrucker
12-21-2006, 06:10 PM
1. In the UAAP, are players making the inbound pass after a basket allowed to move? I vaguely remember seeing some players doing it (to avoid having their pass intercepted) a few years ago but I didn't notice anyone doing it last season.

2. After a shooting foul is called, is it still legal to block the shot? E.g., AI attempts a layup but is fouled by TMac. While the ball is on the way up, Yao Ming blocks the ball from behind (it happened to me while playing NBA 2k7). Would that count as a legitimate block, goaltending or neither?

JonarSabilano
12-21-2006, 06:17 PM
2. After a shooting foul is called, is it still legal to block the shot?* E.g.,* AI attempts a layup but is fouled by TMac.* While the ball is on the way up, Yao Ming blocks the ball from behind (it happened to me while playing NBA 2k7).* Would that count as a legitimate block, goaltending or neither?

Yes, it's legal. I dunno, though, if it will be considered as a legit block. This is commonly done to avoid 3-point play opportunities.

BigBlue
12-21-2006, 06:35 PM
1. In the UAAP, are players making the inbound pass after a basket allowed to move? I vaguely remember seeing some players doing it (to avoid having their pass intercepted) a few years ago but I didn't notice anyone doing it last season.

A related question: Is it legal to pass to someone else who is also out of bounds (other end of the same baseline) and let that person do the inbound? I think I remember UST pulling off something like this during the later part of Aric's term.

brian
12-22-2006, 12:40 AM
1. In the UAAP, are players making the inbound pass after a basket allowed to move?* I vaguely remember seeing some players doing it (to avoid having their pass intercepted) a few years ago but I didn't notice anyone doing it last season.*

2. After a shooting foul is called, is it still legal to block the shot?* E.g.,* AI attempts a layup but is fouled by TMac.* While the ball is on the way up, Yao Ming blocks the ball from behind (it happened to me while playing NBA 2k7).* Would that count as a legitimate block, goaltending or neither?

after a basket, i guess the player making the inbound pass is allowed to move. however, during a deadball situation, such as timeouts or fouls, you'd be called for travelling once you move the pivot foot while making the inbound pass

regarding the block after a shooting foul, hindi naman ata illegal as long as the ball is on its way up...but once the shot has been made and it hits the backboard or is on the way down, goaltending na yun pag sa act of shooting yun foul..

Kid Cubao
12-22-2006, 06:56 AM

A related question: Is it legal to pass to someone else who is also out of bounds (other end of the same baseline) and let that person do the inbound? I think I remember UST pulling off something like this during the later part of Aric's term.

muddatrucker, mukhang tama yung paliwanag ni brian. pag buhay ang timer, pwede kang gumalaw while making the inbounds pass.

bigblue, yes, that is allowed, pero isang pasa lang. remember there is the 5 second rule to make the inbounds pass and the 8 second rule to cross the ball past the midcourt line. spain actually used this tactic to shift argentina's zone pressure from the right sideline to the left in their classic semis matchup in the 2006 worlds, which opened the middle of the floor. ang dali lang ng basketball para sa kanila, wala nang mga hi-tech press break ;D

LION
12-22-2006, 08:24 AM
1. In the UAAP, are players making the inbound pass after a basket allowed to move?* I vaguely remember seeing some players doing it (to avoid having their pass intercepted) a few years ago but I didn't notice anyone doing it last season.*

Yes this is allowed. I vividly remember the Red Cubs doing this many times in the mid and late 80's.

bigfreeze_bibby
12-28-2006, 01:52 PM

Yes this is allowed.* I vividly remember the Red Cubs doing this many times in the mid and late 80's.*

Medyo sumikat ang tactic na ito nung mid 90's because I saw UST, La Salle, and FEU doing this strategy. To be honest until now, I dunno the advantage of doing such strategy. But some are saying that this is to confuse the defensive team if ever they try to apply pressure defense. Maybe better experts here can shed light to this.

Kid Cubao
12-29-2006, 08:22 AM
this tactic called a "lateral" is especially helpful in misdirecting press coverages that pressure the inbounders. notice that all pressure defenses are mere slight variations of the 2-2-1 (two ball pressers, two interceptors, and one safety). a lateral will cause the defense to shift focus from one inbounder to the other. if you catch the defense by surprise, you will open a seam in the defense in the form of an open receiver, tapos dere-derecho na. :)

5FootCarrot
02-04-2007, 08:56 AM
What is "garbage time"? (I'm assuming this is not the term for the schedule of garbage pick-up in a given neighborhood. :P) Is this any different from "lemon time"?

Kid Cubao
02-04-2007, 10:48 AM
for me, garbage time is basically the minutes left on the clock when the winning team is already clear except for the final score. here, coaches usually pull out all their starters, opting to give the reserves playing time and basically run out the clock. some other coaches use garbage time to try out new plays and/or new player combinations.

lemon time, as far as i recall, is the halftime break.

fujima04
02-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Before in the amateur rules, if a player was charged with a technical foul, it was counted also on the player's personal foul. Is this still applicable today? ???

MonL
02-04-2007, 11:14 PM
lemon time, as far as i recall, is the halftime break.

^ Yup, during the era before Gatorade, part of a team's preparation for the second half of play was for the players to restore lost body fluids and minerals by taking in juices extracted from citrus fruits during the halftime lull.* :)

Later on, the term "lemontime" also became known in the early PBA years as that time of evaluation and decision making by team owners/coaches after the first games of an import-flavored conference wherein their imports who performed way below expectations, tagged as "lemons," were told to pack up and head for home.* :D

bigfreeze_bibby
02-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Before in the amateur rules, if a player was charged with a technical foul, it was counted also on the player's personal foul. Is this still applicable today? ???

In the amateurs, yes this is still applicable but in the pros I think this is not applied.

MonL
02-05-2007, 07:48 AM

In the amateurs, yes this is still applicable but in the pros I think this is not applied.

If a pro player is called for two Ts in a game for the same kind of offense/infraction , he is ejected and sent out of the playing court, tama ba?

muddatrucker
02-05-2007, 12:41 PM
^
Yes, like Danny I last Friday and Yeng Guiao yesterday.

Wang-Bu
06-28-2007, 06:41 PM
'Yun pa din bang trapezoid lane ang ginagamit sa mga international tournament ng FIBA?

Howard the Duck
06-28-2007, 09:43 PM
'Yun pa din bang trapezoid lane ang ginagamit sa mga international tournament ng FIBA?
yes, trapezoid pa rin ang gamit nila

Wang-Bu
06-29-2007, 09:14 AM

Ibig po bang sabihin Sir Howard ito ang lane na lalaruan ng ating RP Team sa qualifier?

peterstrauss
06-30-2007, 04:39 PM
can someone explain the phrase, "cannot create for himself off the dribble" thank you

Howard the Duck
06-30-2007, 06:56 PM

Ibig po bang sabihin Sir Howard ito ang lane na lalaruan ng ating RP Team sa qualifier?
yes, trapezoid ang "key" area na gagamitin sa FIBA.

Napansin ko rin sa the arena na may trapezoid key sila at ito ang ginagamit ng NCAA...

Kid Cubao
07-01-2007, 12:51 PM
can someone explain the phrase, "cannot create for himself off the dribble" thank you

it means that he doesn't have enough skills or confidence to beat his man in one-on-one coverage, so he can't get himself free for the shot when he has to dribble. he can only shoot when he's properly set up. he needs to play more one-on-one in practice so he can get used to it more.

Howard the Duck
07-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Paano kung naubos na ang player ng isang team dahil sa fouled out/ejection? Anong mangyayari? Forfeit na ba?

atenean_blooded
07-02-2007, 01:21 AM
Paano kung naubos na ang player ng isang team dahil sa fouled out/ejection? Anong mangyayari? Forfeit na ba?

Actually forfeit na yata kung less than 5 na lang yung player. Tama ba?

(Kung ubos na lahat, suntukan na lang! ;D)

Wang-Bu
07-02-2007, 09:17 AM
^^^ Sa pagkakaalam ko kapag amateur basketball kahit 1 on 5 tapos away sumuko nung dehado OK lang ituloy ang laban.

Wang-Bu
07-04-2007, 09:19 AM
May pinagkaiba ba ang tawagan ng handcheck at armbar sa FIBA at sa mga pro league gaya ng NBA o PBA?

Howard the Duck
07-04-2007, 11:58 AM
talaga bang dapat si #10 ang tatalon sa jumpball sa fiba events?

muddatrucker
07-07-2007, 10:13 PM

Actually forfeit na yata kung less than 5 na lang yung player. Tama ba?

(Kung ubos na lahat, suntukan na lang! ;D)

Sa NBA, puwede maglaro yung pinakahuling ma-foul out (di ako sure kung pati mga ejected) pag di na sila aabot ng 5. For every foul by that player, magkakatechnical yung team niya.

Tama yata yung sinabi ni Wang Bu tungkol sa amateur leagues.

EDIT: From http://www.nba.com/media/rule_book_2006-07.pdf

a. Each team shall consist of five players. No team may be reduced to less than five players.
If a player in the game receives his sixth personal foul and all substitutes have already
been disqualified, said player shall remain in the game and shall be charged with a personal
and team foul. A technical foul also shall be assessed against his team. All subsequent personal
fouls, including offensive fouls, shall be treated similarly. All players who have six or
more personal fouls and remain in the game shall be treated similarly.

b. In the event that there are only five eligible players remaining and one of these players
is injured and must leave the game or is ejected, he must be replaced by the last player
who was disqualified by reason of receiving six personal fouls. Each subsequent requirement
to replace an injured or ejected player will be treated in this inverse order. Any such re-entry
into a game by a disqualified player shall be penalized by a technical foul.

Howard the Duck
07-09-2007, 11:45 PM
interesting pala ang rules sa "ubusan ng lahi" hindi pala pwedeng maubos ;D

clutchjedi
07-10-2007, 02:12 PM
unless ma-eject silang lahat? :D

Mateen Cleaves
07-10-2007, 02:43 PM
^^^ Sa pagkakaalam ko kapag amateur basketball kahit 1 on 5 tapos away sumuko nung dehado OK lang ituloy ang laban.

Ewan nga ba kung bakit walang ref na nagpo-post dito. Or at least, nagpapakilala bilang ref!

Sa alam ko, hanggang 2 players puede. Pag natanggal pa yung isa, forfeit na. Papaano ka nga naman mag-iinbound ng mag-isa? :)

bluewing
07-10-2007, 03:01 PM
[
Ewan nga ba kung bakit walang ref na nagpo-post dito. Or at least, nagpapakilala bilang ref!

eh di nahalatang wala silang alam. ;D

Dark Knight
07-10-2007, 09:51 PM
nangyari na to sa NCAA. PCU Dolphins versus Letran yata. May rumble na nangyari, ejected mostly ang players ng PCU. Natira lang si Bernzon Franco at Leo Gaspi. The committee decided na i forfeit na yung laro against PCU but the PCU team wanted to continue the play with just 2 players.

This happened in 2004 i think. Nakalimutan ko na.

cub
07-10-2007, 11:16 PM
San Beda vs. PCU ata yan. yung sinapak ni Merelos halos buong bench ng PCU? :)

2002 yata yan.

BigBlue
07-25-2007, 06:23 PM
what does "glue guy" exactly mean? what are the attributes that make a player a "glue guy"?

Kid Cubao
07-26-2007, 06:56 AM
that's a new term for someone that coaches have always sought since the game was invented. anyway, a glue guy is one who holds the team together with his selfless play, so he's a role player in that respect. he also has the good sense not to let his ego ruin the best interests of the team. in the pro ranks, glue guys can sometimes be more valuable than the go-to guys who get voted into all-star games because of their ability to lead by example and their calming influence in the locker room. they make sure the team doesn't get overly ecstatic after a win, nor get mind-numbingly down after a hard loss. they also act as elders in resolving internal conflicts.

in the NBA, the utah jazz slipped and skidded sometime during the 2006-07 season, which prompted team owner larry miller to question the jazz's drive and their commitment to win. this prompted a reply from veteran guard steve fisher--his own player--saying that it was uncalled for, that it wasn't right for the team owner to throw his own team under the bus while the season is still on, and that families should stick together during the most trying times. the jazz eventually won enough games to reach the playoffs, vanquish its opponents in the first two rounds, before bowing to san antonio in the conference finals. steve fisher no doubt played a big part in utah's late resurgence, and his dramatic performance in the golden state series, especially in that game wherein he drilled clutch threes and clamped down on baron davis after arriving straight from the airport because he had to attend to his daughter's delicate eye operation in new york, is already part of NBA lore. now that's leadership by example and being there for the team.

in the PBA, the most renowned glue guys are people like al solis, yoyoy villamin, olsen racela, and jeffrey cariaso. you pay them not only for services rendered but also for the little things that help your team become a whole lot greater than the sum of its parts.

jembengzon
07-26-2007, 07:37 AM
cubao,

diba si derek fisher yan ?* o baka si bobby fisher ? ;D

Kid Cubao
07-26-2007, 10:24 AM
yes, derek fisher indeed it is, jem. thanks for that assist.

salsa caballero
07-26-2007, 02:47 PM
OT- Is Steve Fisher the guy who used to coach at Michigan? (fab five days) He had such ugly ties........

Wang-Bu
07-26-2007, 04:13 PM
^^^ Siya na nga po iyon Sir Salsa, favorite niyang Fab Fiver si Ray Jackson, na ironically hindi isa sa mga sumikat sa NBA.

Wang-Bu
07-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Yaman rin lang may usap-usapan ang Ateneo at Lasalle gawa ng isang protesta:

1) Ano po ba ang protocol kung magsa-sub? Ibig sabihin: kailan considered na naka-sub na ang isang player? Kapag siya ay nagpaalam sa table? Kapag siya ay pinapasok na ng ref? O kapag nag-resume ng muli ang laro?

2) Hindi po ba dead ball situation lang pwedeng mag-sub?

Ano po ba ang sinasabing duration ng dead ball situation na ito? Kunwari pumito ng foul sa isang player, alam ko automatic dead ball situation na 'yon. Tigil ang oras habang minemwestra ng ref kung sino ang tinawagan ng foul at kinukuha ng mga opisyal sa committee ang pangalan. Kung shooting situation dead ball pa din mentras tumitira ng free throw ang na-foul. Kung fouled out ng tinawagan, dead ball pa din hanggan't wala pang pumalit sa player na nag-graduate.

Kailan po ba considered na resumed na ang play galing sa isang substitution?

Kid Cubao
07-31-2007, 10:30 AM
heto ang naalala ko sa FIBA rules:

1. a "substitution opportunity" begins when the clock is stopped and the ball is dead (i.e. after a whistle or after a field goal in the last two minutes). it ends when--

(a) an official steps into the lane to administer free throw(s) or
(b) the ball is at the disposal of a player for a throw-in.

one major effect of this is to disallow subs between free throws, which is allowed in the pros.

2. beginning in 2004, either team may sub on any foul, held ball, time out, or a violation that creates a substitution opportunity.

3. if the last free throw is successful (or is followed by possession at midcourt), either team may substitute. that means limitations regarding subs for the shooter have now been eliminated unlike in the past.

4. after a basket in the last two minutes, the team scored upon may initiate a substitution (the player(s) must be there before the basket is scored). in contrast, the team that scores shall not be allowed any substitution.

5. referee's stoppages are explicitly included as substitution opportunities for either or both teams.

dark_seid
07-31-2007, 07:20 PM
back court violation (also called over-and-back): when the ball is moved into the front court, it can't be moved back into the back court intentionally by the offensive team.

question: why do referees in the uaap call this violation when player steps with ONE foot into the front court and passes back to a teammate who is still in the back court (say to avoid a half court press)? is not the possession still in the back court since the ball and the player's own TWO feet must cross the mid court line?

why don't coaches and players argue against the ref?

Uncle Toots
08-01-2007, 10:54 AM
that's because the refs observe an imaginary plane separating the front and back court for ballhandlers and receivers. once you break that imaginary plane with any part of your body or the ball (whichever comes first), then the refs deem that you've already crossed the other side.

Wang-Bu
08-01-2007, 05:14 PM
back court violation (also called over-and-back): when the ball is moved into the front court, it can't be moved back into the back court intentionally by the offensive team.

question: why do referees in the uaap call this violation when player steps with ONE foot into the front court and passes back to a teammate who is still in the back court (say to avoid a half court press)? is not the possession still in the back court since the ball and the player's own TWO feet must cross the mid court line?

why don't coaches and players argue against the ref?

Sa tinagal-tagal kong naglaro ng basketball basta may katiting na bahagi ng katawan ng player na nasa frontcourt na at dala niya ang bola o natanggap niya ang bola sa backcourt, 'matic na backing na 'yon.

dark_seid
08-01-2007, 09:22 PM
salamat uncle toots and wang-bu

iba kase ang ruling sa US eh. kaya kung nanonood tayo ng nba or ncaa, medyo nakakalito lang.
oo, sundan na lang natin si fiba. tutal, rules nila ang nasusunod sa mga world championship at olympics eh.

Sam Miguel
08-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Are there any PROHIBITIONS on substitutions?

For instance, can the table or any of the referees simply say "SORRY KID, YOU CAN'T COME IN."

What are the general rules on making a valid substitution and can any of the game officials void or refuse a substitution?

Kid Cubao
08-14-2007, 09:11 AM
sam miguel, as much as i hate to quote myself, i'm making an exception this time in order to field your query about substitutions.

heto ang naalala ko sa FIBA rules:

1. a "substitution opportunity" begins when the clock is stopped and the ball is dead (i.e. after a whistle or after a field goal in the last two minutes). it ends when--

(a) an official steps into the lane to administer free throw(s) or
(b) the ball is at the disposal of a player for a throw-in.

one major effect of this is to disallow subs between free throws, which is allowed in the pros.

2. beginning in 2004, either team may sub on any foul, held ball, time out, or a violation that creates a substitution opportunity.

3. if the last free throw is successful (or is followed by possession at midcourt), either team may substitute. that means limitations regarding subs for the shooter have now been eliminated unlike in the past.

4. after a basket in the last two minutes, the team scored upon may initiate a substitution (the player(s) must be there before the basket is scored). in contrast, the team that scores shall not be allowed any substitution.

5. referee's stoppages are explicitly included as substitution opportunities for either or both teams.

bchoter
09-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Hi Carrot, gameface_one and fellow hardcore hoops junkies. Is it ok create a similar thread at USTEX and syndicate some threads? It doesn't hurt to spead the knowledge ;)

gameface_one
09-11-2007, 07:19 PM
No prob. Just mention that you syndicated the threads from here and that you got inspired with what your fellow gamefacers did here. :)

Thanks.

5FootCarrot
09-12-2007, 08:43 AM
If a player is occasionally referred to as a "slotman," is there a corresponding part of the court called a "slot" ???

Kid Cubao
09-12-2007, 09:32 AM
If a player is occasionally referred to as a "slotman," is there a corresponding part of the court called a "slot" ???

in basketball jargon, a "slotman" is the defensive player assigned to guard the shaded area, so that means the center. the "slot" is, as mentioned, the 3-second or shaded area. it was called "slot" because it looked like a keyhole in the days when everyday-sized athletes were the norm in basketball. they had to widen it because of george mikan and, most of all, wilt.

bchoter
09-12-2007, 01:24 PM
No prob. Just mention that you syndicated the threads from here and that you got inspired with what your fellow gamefacers did here.* :)

Thanks.*
Thanks, man. I'l make sure to acknowledge gamaface there. Hopefully, after learning some of the nuances of the game, my fellow members of the pack can share their views here

gameface_one
09-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks bchoter. :)

yznier
09-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Bakit hindi tinatawagan ng "hanging" violation si Sam Ekwe? May ganito ba talagang violation o sa UAAP lang?

BTW, congratulations to San Beda. :)

aircanda
09-27-2007, 12:23 AM
mga sir.. ano po ba ung ruling when inbounding the ball.. kasi po minsan tinatawgan ng travelling yung mga nagiinbound, minsan naman tumatakbo laterally..

bchoter
09-27-2007, 03:04 PM
^ You're giving your school a bad name, man.

Bilang na ang mga araw mo

gameface_one
09-27-2007, 06:58 PM
^^^Post of merwin is removed.

dark_seid
09-27-2007, 09:16 PM
mga sir.. ano po ba ung ruling when inbounding the ball.. kasi po minsan tinatawgan ng travelling yung mga nagiinbound, minsan naman tumatakbo laterally..

AFAIK, you can't move your pivot foot when inbounding off a deadball situation (i.e. off a foul, tap-out, or a timeout)

Kid Cubao
09-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Bakit hindi tinatawagan ng "hanging" violation si Sam Ekwe? May ganito ba talagang violation o sa UAAP lang?

hindi sya tinatawagan ng hanging violation of late because the refs have realized that sam needs to hold on to the rim just a little bit to ensure a safe descent after a dunk.

Sam Miguel
09-28-2007, 09:25 AM

AFAIK, you can't move your pivot foot when inbounding off a deadball situation (i.e. off a foul, tap-out, or a timeout)

I've noticed they are more strict when inbounding from baselines than they are from sidelines. Is this the rule?

Sam Miguel
09-28-2007, 09:26 AM

hindi sya tinatawagan ng hanging violation of late because the refs have realized that sam needs to hold on to the rim just a little bit to ensure a safe descent after a dunk.

Either that or they do not want to be on the bad side of a guy 6-foot-8 and 245 pounds who will face deportation at most if he beats a bunch of referees to death... ;D

NYPinoy
09-28-2007, 11:06 PM

I've noticed they are more strict when inbounding from baselines than they are from sidelines. Is this the rule?

Pag sideline inbound di pwede gumalaw ang paa. If under the basket you can move laterally, usually done during a press. ;D

dark_seid
09-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Pag sideline inbound di pwede gumalaw ang paa. If under the basket you can move laterally, usually done during a press. ;D

it depends on the situation. inbounding the ball coming off a deadball situation, you aren't allowed to shuffle your feet. this is whether it is at the endline or the sideline. to further clarify what a deadball situation is, it is when the game clock is stopped (due to a timeout, foul, or etc).

moving while inbounding is allowed at the endline after a made basket by your opponent. actually, you could even pass it laterally to a teammate who is also out-of-bounds at the endline.

mighty_lion
03-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Pretty cool article regarding NBA Basketball courtesy of Coach Jeff Van Gundy.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/02/28/sports/playmagazine/20080229_GUNDY_GRAPHIC.html#

Kid Cubao
03-05-2008, 09:38 AM
very interesting insights by jeff van gundy on defense, which is really his forte.

Howard the Duck
06-25-2008, 07:48 PM
ano na ang score ng 2nd semifinal game ng DLSU and UST (http://prev.ubelt.com/uaap/mbb/gamestats.aspx?id=930&year=1998) noong 1998?

and if anyone wants to be a hardcore researcher, can anyone post/point to me the results of NCAA Final 4 games?

clutchjedi
07-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Read that Ford Arao suffered another ACL injury.* :( (Hoping for his quick and full recovery!)

Not sure if this is a silly question, but anyway* - do PBL and PBA teams shoulder expenses for their players' injuries - operations, rehab, etc? Or do the teams/players have some form of medical insurance which covers basketball-related injuries (even major ones) ?

I'm thinking most probably for the PBA but not sure if for PBL teams as well.

Kid Cubao
07-09-2008, 05:18 PM
^^ supposedly the team management pays for the medical expenses of its players if they suffer game-related injuries. however, in reality, it all depends on whether the team can actually afford it.

Jaco D
07-10-2008, 03:21 AM
Teka, yung current ACL injury ba ni Ford, is it on the same knee as his first one? I was under the impression from hearing stuff from sports med guys that a fixed-up ACLed knee would be stronger than a "virgin" knee. So if Ford's second ACL injury is on the same knee, then that throws that opinion out of the window.

jembengzon
07-10-2008, 08:33 AM
jaco, it's the other one. kay malakas na daw ang mga tuhod niya after he gets better

dark_seid
07-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Teka, yung current ACL injury ba ni Ford, is it on the same knee as his first one?* I was under the impression from hearing stuff from sports med guys that a fixed-up ACLed knee would be stronger than a "virgin" knee.* So if Ford's second ACL injury is on the same knee, then that throws that opinion out of the window.

yeah i also hear that often about sports surgery -- that the body part is better than pre-surgery. this is also a reason why there are reports of baseball pitchers actually undergoing the knife to throw better ???

then again, danny manning of the nba blew out his ACL on the same knee twice.

Sam Miguel
07-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Amazing what you learn when you are invited to attend league meetings.

Some things I learned, apparently new FIBA rules to be implemented effective for this year's FMC 2nd Division:

1. For backing violations --

- The ball is considered already in the frontcourt if and only if BOTH feet of the player presently handling the ball is in the frontcourt AND the ball is in the frontcourt

-- Therefore if the player with the ball has one foot still in his own backcourt, his other foot in the frontcourt, and the ball is also now in the frontcourt being dribbled, the ball is not yet considered in the frontcourt and can thus still be passed back to a teammate still in the backcourt - NO BACKING VIOLATION. HOWEVER in this case the ball CANNOT be dribbled back into the backcourt by the player who originally had the ball.

-- If a defensive player in the opposing frontcourt steals a pass coming from the opposing backcourt and lands with one foot in his own frontcourt and his other foot in his own backcourt and he pulls back his foot in the frontcourt to his own backcourt thus effectively planting both his feet in his own backcourt there is NO BACKING VIOLATION.

2. For unsportsmanlike fouls --

- Anytime there is no other defensive player ahead of him, and an attacking player is fouled, with a grab, with an attempted steal or any other foul, that is now an unsportsmanlike foul and gets two freethrows plus ball possession; think of it as sort of the opposite to football's off-side rule, the rule now favors the offense

-- Therefore safeties in the backcourt are now at a new premium, slow defenders will kill a team in more ways than before

3. For elbows out and swung/swinging --

- Outright no-no now. Whether or not there is intent to swing or not, intent to inflict harm or not, soon as that elbow or both elbows come out and swing in any direction it gets an automatic technical foul, meaning two freethrows plus ball possession for the opposing side.

-- Therefore after a rebound the best thing to do is put the ball to the chest, wrap both arms around the ball and tuck in those elbows; protect the ball with your body not your elbows, better yet find someone to pass to. If its an offensive rebound then go up straight and attempt the put-back if you can or must.

Quite frankly I think these new rules - especially the new backing rules - will be the cause of a lot of friction, but then again we better get used to it because apparently they take effect in ALL FIBA tournament effective October 2008.

thadzonline
07-25-2008, 01:35 PM
yung unsportsmanlike foul you mentioned in number 2 di ba dati meron niyan, only they called it an advantage foul then?

The_Big_Cat
07-25-2008, 02:33 PM
^Or breakaway foul.

Joescoundrel
07-28-2008, 02:50 AM
You may also want to add that sliding on the floor while still in ball possession as the result of a slip, a tripping not called as a foul, or whatnot, is no longer considered traveling unless the guy who slid stands up.

This means a guy say dribbling the ball up court who eludes a trap but trips, hits the floor still with the ball in hand then slides will not be called for traveling. The old general rule is that anytime a guy slides with the ball its traveling.

BigBlue
07-28-2008, 09:57 AM
what does the rule book say with regard to the positioning of rebounders/defenders during freethrows? I noticed that during the ateneo-nu game, the refs made it a point to move the players to the slots closer to the freethrow line, but they didn't seem to make much of a fuss about it during the adamson-ust game. weird.

bluewing
07-28-2008, 10:10 AM
^
may spread kasi silang pinangangalagaan.

Kid Cubao
07-28-2008, 10:12 AM
ang rule dyan ay no more than six players (three for each team) inside the area demarcated by the 3-pt arc, including the free throw shooter. the other four stand outside the arc.

the team taking the free throws will have less rebounders standing outside the paint than the other team--tatlo sa dalawa. that's because the free throw shooter can also rebound if he misses.

BigBlue
07-28-2008, 10:16 AM
ang rule dyan ay no more than six players (three for each team) inside the area demarcated by the 3-pt arc, including the free throw shooter. the other four stand outside the arc.

the team taking the free throws will have less rebounders standing outside the paint than the other team--tatlo sa dalawa. that's because the free throw shooter can also rebound if he misses.

so the rule only refers to the number of players allowed, not the which specific "slots" to use the paint perimeter?

bluegirl
07-28-2008, 10:21 AM

so the rule only refers to the number of players allowed, not the which specific "slots" to use the paint perimeter?

actually meron specific slots. the two slots or spaces on either sides nearest to the ring are for the players on the defensive end. then the next slot is for the team on the offense. tapos ung last slot, para sa isa pang player from the team on defense.

Kid Cubao
07-28-2008, 10:24 AM
tama si bluegirl. there are slots, if you may, outside either shaded stripes in which the rebounder can be positioned. it follows an alternating defense-offense-defense alignment. basta ang rule of thumb is for the offensive rebounder to occupy the middle slot at all times, and for the defense to take up the bottommost slot (yung pinakamalapit sa ring).

BigBlue
07-28-2008, 10:52 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Basketball_positions.svg/250px-Basketball_positions.svg.png

got this image off of wikipedia. my concern is with regard to which particular slot should be used. in the image above, the normal and usual positioning that we see would be that the big men of the opposing team would take the slot nearest the ring, ie, where the number 4 is located. but from what i saw yesteday, the ref would ask the opposing players to move to the next slot farther from the ring, moving everyone up closer to the free throw line.

chocoks77
07-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Ako may tanong, bakit kapag naitira na ang bola tapos habang nasa ere ang bola shot clock expires, Bakit kapag hindi nashoot at tumama naman sa ring, automatic violation? tama ba yang ruling na yan? naiba na ba? Sa pagkakaalala ko pa kapag sa ring legal reset ang shot clock ke offensive or defensive rebound ang nangyari pagtapos

billyray
07-28-2008, 12:37 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Basketball_positions.svg/250px-Basketball_positions.svg.png

got this image off of wikipedia. my concern is with regard to which particular slot should be used. in the image above, the normal and usual positioning that we see would be that the big men of the opposing team would take the slot nearest the ring, ie, where the number 4 is located. but from what i saw yesteday, the ref would ask the opposing players to move to the next slot farther from the ring, moving everyone up closer to the free throw line.

I think one problem of the players positioning during free throws is the lines on the court are confusing.* That's why the refs tell players to move towards the free throw line, players usually position themselves using the pro line pero dapat amateur line ang gamitin.* Ultra and Araneta still have the pro rectangular lane lines painted on the court.* Sa Ultra yata, naka tape lang ang amateur trapezoid lines.*

Howard the Duck
07-29-2008, 07:22 PM
tatanggalin na rin ang amateur lines kasi ang FIBA NBA lines na ang gagamitin, at least for the zone and three point line

Joescoundrel
08-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Ako may tanong, bakit kapag naitira na ang bola tapos habang nasa ere ang bola shot clock expires, Bakit kapag hindi nashoot at tumama naman sa ring, automatic violation? tama ba yang ruling na yan? naiba na ba? Sa pagkakaalala ko pa kapag sa ring legal reset ang shot clock ke offensive or defensive rebound ang nangyari pagtapos

Pare this is one of those things that are - I believe - still discretionary for the referees.

As a general rule as long as it is a good shot - meaning it was released before the shotclock expired - even if the cloack actually expired while the ball is in the air, as long as it hits the ring the clock is automatically reset, and the players just have to go for that rebound if it misses. In other words as long as there is no official stoppage - whether from the table officials who sound the buzzer or the referees who blow the whistle - play continues.

What I find tricky is the so-called "heavier offense" general rule. Generally I know that when two calls are made at the same time by different referees then the heavier or more serious violation gets precedence, i.e. a personal foul will outweigh a traveling, a technical foul will outweigh a double-dribble, and so on.

And yet in a couple of NCAA and UAAP games I've seen fouls called just as the shotclock expired overruled by the shotclock violation.

Is this some sort of new rule? What gives?

Kid Cubao
08-04-2008, 09:46 AM
dead ball situation na kasi kapag nag-expire na ang shot clock. unless mas mabibigat na fouls gaya ng deliberate fouls at fighting na ang penalty ay technical at game ejection.

Joescoundrel
08-04-2008, 12:02 PM
^ The ball is therefore considered dead when it is in the air and the clock buzzer sounds...?

If that ball goes in it is counted right? How then can it be considered a dead ball? Shouldn't the ball be in play for it to be considered as a counted basket?

Kid Cubao
08-04-2008, 12:18 PM
^ The ball is therefore considered dead when it is in the air and the clock buzzer sounds...?

well, we're assuming the ball was still in play when the shot was hoisted, lalo na pag last second situations di ba? so kung nasa ere na yung bola nung nag-buzzer, e di dead ball na yung action sa baba after that, but not necessarily the FG attempt a split-second ago.

If that ball goes in it is counted right?

again it depends if the shooter beat the clock. fortunately instant replay took care of the guesswork involved in counting a buzzer-beater or not.

Mateen Cleaves
08-04-2008, 12:54 PM
^not for shot clock violations ata. Di ba pang end of game/quarter lang ang replay?

Here's my take on the dead ball issue. It's a dead-ball only when the referees blow their whistles to indicate that the play has stopped. The ball is still live, even if the shot clock buzzer sounds. Only when the referee signals that a violation has indeed occurred (kung kapos yung tira, for example) is the play stopped. That's why players should keep going for the rebound -- because the referees can still choose to let them play on.

As for calls being overruled by the shot clock, I think that the more usual case is that the referees will argue that the shot clock violation came first. Which call came first is a judgment on the part of the refereeing crew. Kahit ano pa ang nakita/narinig ng manonood. Unfortunately, it's a very convenient loophole that too many referees resort to, lest they be accused of a bail-out call in favor of the team with ball possession.

Kid Cubao
08-04-2008, 01:18 PM
^not for shot clock violations ata. Di ba pang end of game/quarter lang ang replay?

i stand corrected. yup, only buzzer beaters to end a quarter of action undergo video review.

Joescoundrel
08-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Since it seems wrong uniforms, misplaced uniforms, inadequate uniforms, incomplete uniforms are all the rage what exactly does FIBA have to say about uniforms? Can a guy show up with exactly the same uniform but with one or two sponsor's patches missing and still play without adverse consequences for his team?

5FootCarrot
09-27-2008, 01:35 AM
What exactly is the story behind removing the net after winning a championship? In particular, I'd like to know what it's supposed to symbolize, and which net is the winner supposed to remove?

Mateen Cleaves
09-28-2008, 03:03 PM
It's just tradition. Souvenir for the winners. If you're going to give the winning team a souvenir, better to give them the nets. They're way cheaper than giving the winner the game balls, I suppose.*

An alternative hypothesis would be that cutting the nets is a symbolic way of ending the tournament...

But I think that it's really just for purposes of getting a souvenir. ;D

pio_valenz
09-29-2008, 12:14 PM
What exactly is the story behind removing the net after winning a championship? In particular, I'd like to know what it's supposed to symbolize, and which net is the winner supposed to remove?

No particular rule on which net, I think. Some teams actually remove both nets.

Joescoundrel
10-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Kerby Raymundo gets away with three steps on his moves to the hoop coming off a post up when he faces the basket. At first I thought it was a legitimate jab step. Now with more replays and careful observation I see the guy is taking three steps and yet no traveling is called. What the heck is up with that?

thadzonline
10-14-2008, 11:25 PM
nasanay yata ang refs joe..lol

Wang-Bu
10-15-2008, 09:17 AM
^^ Sir Joe kaya kandaleche manlalaro basta't nag-pro na dito o sa NBA, gawa ng puro palabas ang inaatupag ng mga pro na liga hinahayaan ang mga ganyang violation dahil "signature move" na ng kanilang tinaguriang mga "superstar". Ganyan din ang mga ginagawa nina Ranidel De OCampo, Enrico Villanueva at Don Allado. Pero marami namang big man na kapag nasa poste matino ang kilos at sinasabing sound ang footwork gaya nina Eric Menk, Arwind Santos, Danny Ildefonso at Dennis Espino.

myktristan
02-05-2009, 08:30 AM
I got this site directly from NBA.com, i hope those who have still questions about shot clock violations or any particular rulings would be answered and clarified by Bernie Fryer, the VP for Basketball Referees of NBA.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/01/01/bernie.ask.bernie.20090101/index.html

clutchjedi
03-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Would anyone know the rule for this in FIBA, the PBA, UAAP, etc. ?

After an oppponent scores, a team calls timeout and can get the ball at/near halfcourt to inbound.

Do they get the choice whether to inbound from the left or right side? Or is it the ref's choice, or is it always the same side, or always the side nearest the benches, etc. ?

Since for a particular move/play, most player will often be "stronger" from one side than the other, I was wondering if the team has the choice of where to start the play. :)

mangtsito
07-20-2010, 06:47 AM
Is there a limit to the number of technical fouls a team's bench is assessed?

If players get sent out of the game after committing two technical fouls, is there a proportional penalty after the bench commits too many technical fouls? (Say, like automatically losing the game?)

I know this never happens, but I'm just curious about what would happen if it did.

Wang-Bu
07-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Bakit iba pito ng NABRO sa pito ng BRASCU kapag tumatama ang bola sa shotclock (sakaling nakapatong sa taas ng baord) o sa taas ng board? sa NABRO tuloy lang basta hindi pa tumama sa kahit anong bahagi ng likod ng board. sa BRASCU basta tumama na sa shotclock o sa taas turnover na.