PDA

View Full Version : urban legends

yungha
04-19-2006, 11:16 AM
post here the craziest, most outrageous hoop-related urban legends you've heard. as legends go, these don't have to be confirmed or verified. heck they don't even have to be factual. legends take a life of their own as they're passed on and told and retold - which is precisely what makes them so entertaining and fascinating.

- bong alvarez daw once broke a backboard executing one of his power dunks. even supposedly suffered some minor injuries from falling broken glass
- bj manalo was offered a slot at georgetown but chose to stay and play for la salle
- vince hizon once scored 18pts in a game for boise state (did he even ever play for boise?)
- cebuano felix duhig once scored 105 points including 20+ 3-pt shots in a morning game in a cebu league. then he played ANOTHER GAME that SAME DAY and scored 40+ points
- for those who play at dumlao gym, you can read old newspaper clippings of mr. dumlao scoring something like 140pts in a game, at a time when there were no 3-pt shots yet!
- adduccul was supposed to play for beda (this i confirmed from some posts in the what if thread). supposedly hindi daw pinapasok ng guard sa beda campus. but from what i heard, adduccul got lost, asked for directions, and instead of being told the directions to beda, was given directions to the baste campus.
- for AHS grads, the late FR. OB used to tell stories about a 5'4 guard he coached who made a game-saving block in a championship game. the guy he blocked was 6'1 or 6'2

MonL
04-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Yungha, this is a good thread. I don’t know if this would classify as an urban legend, but I don’t know how this story was passed on through the years. I guess this would really fall under “what could have been.” I don’t know if anyone here remember a JRC Light Bomber by the name of Ventura in the late 70s. He died in a JRC practice when he was pinned down by a falling goal that was structurally weakened following a dunk by one of his fellow players named Philip Morris during warm-ups. He was trailing Morris during the warm-ups and hadn’t had time to react when the goal weakened and collapsed on him. His father was the team manager then and when his son died he lost all his zest for basketball. :(

To go on to a less morbid tale, can anyone here expound on Ric-ric Marata’s adventures as a Vancouver Nighthawk? :)

franz888
04-19-2006, 03:05 PM
This continues to be one the favorite topics of “what if’s” for the Bedans. It’s been like 10 yrs ago since Adducul’s NCAA days and bedans seem to always look back on this urban legend. Probably Bedans are haunted by the ghost of 96 and 97 finals championship game where in fact it was the same Adducul that stand in the way of the Bedans in ending 2 dacades of championship drought. Until Adducul retires from the PBA this will always be part of San Beda’s urban legend.

-Another story tells that Boybits Victoria was supposed to play for UP but SBC sent the entire SBC red cubs team to the states hence by the time Boybits arrived he was already late for enrolment.
-Renren Ritualo would have stayed with SBC only if Ato was the coach of the seniors team. Unfortunately Ato’s appointment as head coach came in 3 yrs late.
-Not connected with Basketball. That there was really a Lion inside the Mendiola campus. Have not personally seen it though.

abcdef
04-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Counted ba yung pre supposition na pag kaliwete shooter?

yungha
04-19-2006, 11:22 PM
way back in the 50s ateneo faced la salle in the ncaa finals. story goes that la salle was ahead by 2 with seconds remaining. story further goes that the la salle band was already playing its victory song. then bobby littaua of ateneo connected on a hail mary heave from way out, forcing overtime and stunning the la salle side. ateneo won in overtime and seized the championship.

as this story's been told and passed on thru generations of ateneans, paiba-iba yung details. some say littaua shot from about 30 feet. some say he was just inside halfcourt. dick gordon says he was well beyond halfcourt, saying he shot from "clear across halfcourt." some say there were 7 seconds left when bobby got the ball off the inbound, giving him plenty of time to dribble closer to the basket. some say there were 2 seconds left, and the buzzer sounded as the ball left bobby's hand. of course, proponents of the "2 seconds left" story would say that bobby shot from 50 or 60 feet.

amazing thing is that reportedly bobby himself couldn't remember from where he shot. which is just as well, as it makes this story much more fascinating to narrate.

feel free to correct me if it wasn't bobby littaua who made the shot.

bchoter
04-20-2006, 01:14 AM
I was washing caked mud betwen my toes in prep school in a remote village far north when the sports pages carried rerports of Mr. Dumlao scoring 100+ points in a game. It was sounded more incredible to a childs mind who can has yet to count in the teens.

bchoter
04-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Coach Turo Valenzona was a janitor at FEU before he became a Tamaraw
And to take a turn to the morbid, Dennis Abbatuan worked at the Jose Reyes morgue and was discovered while playing in their league (I'm not sure if heard this from my Lolo's favorite hairstylist making it a true kwentong barbero or from the kambingans near in Project 6

bchoter
04-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Tales from the asphalt:

There was this 5'4"-5'5" baller from Proj. 4, who once put Cabatu to shame in a one-on-one game by repeatedly dunking in his face. Cabatu was the most iportant big man in the amateur ranks at that time.

Lucas Palaka
04-20-2006, 06:06 AM
yes, that's true in a way, pero di naman ganun kaliit--more like 5'6. name was cesar baggay, who had the explosiveness of spud webb. at the time, cabatu's folks lived at the jp rizal-pelaez area near the AFP logistics center so madalas pang umuwi si sonny doon. it was a friendly one-on-one match that turned deadly serious after cesar received one too many glancing elbows to his face. acoording to eyewitness reports, cesar unleashed his full arsenal of anklebreakers, so what cabatu did was sag off baggay in order to concede the open jumper. pero di nakuntento si cesar, kaya ang ginawa'y initsa yung bola off the backboard and followed it up with a slam!

cesar baggay reportedly went back to his home province in ilocos, where he became a legend in town fiestas.

RedKfir
04-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Benjie Paras didn't even try-out for the San Beda Red Cubs. He was just another student in San Beda High School until he broke the backboard of one of the goals in the covered courts when his classmates told him to dunk the ball during a PE class. Ato got wind of the news the kid who broke the backboard and decided to look for the kid. Benjie was introduced to Ato and the rest was history. By the way, Benjie was called "Tetchie" in high school (peace Benjie!) and classmates sila ni QC Vice-Mayor Herbert "Bistek" Bautista.

MonL
04-20-2006, 08:08 AM
According to Lim Eng Beng, Atoy Co asked him if he would play for China. Beng vehemently said 'no,' because he was born here. Eventually, Beng would earn Filipino citizenship.... :)

Kid Cubao
04-20-2006, 11:38 AM
post here the craziest, most outrageous hoop-related urban legends you've heard. as legends go, these don't have to be confirmed or verified. heck they don't even have to be factual. legends take a life of their own as they're passed on and told and retold - which is precisely what makes them so entertaining and fascinating.

- bong alvarez daw once broke a backboard executing one of his power dunks. even supposedly suffered some minor injuries from falling broken glass
- bj manalo was offered a slot at georgetown but chose to stay and play for la salle
- vince hizon once scored 18pts in a game for boise state (did he even ever play for boise?)
- cebuano felix duhig once scored 105 points including 20+ 3-pt shots in a morning game in a cebu league. then he played ANOTHER GAME that SAME DAY and scored 40+ points
- for those who play at dumlao gym, you can read old newspaper clippings of mr. dumlao scoring something like 140pts in a game, at a time when there were no 3-pt shots yet!
- adduccul was supposed to play for beda (this i confirmed from some posts in the what if thread). supposedly hindi daw pinapasok ng guard sa beda campus. but from what i heard, adduccul got lost, asked for directions, and instead of being told the directions to beda, was given directions to the baste campus.
- for AHS grads, the late FR. OB used to tell stories about a 5'4 guard he coached who made a game-saving block in a championship game. the guy he blocked was 6'1 or 6'2

the bong alvarez backboard smashing incident occurred in taiwan, when he was a member of the national team that competed in the jones cup. that made the TV news in taiwan.

mr. herminigildo dumlao's prodigious point-making was all the rage in the early 80s. he was already a deputy minister at the ministry of education, culture and sports. his son was a batchmate of mine in high school, and he said his dad played basketball everyday and was even more fit than him. in fact, despite his advanced age and lofty position at the ministry, he still was the best player competing among twenty and thirtysomethings in their sportsfests!

toti_mendiola
04-20-2006, 01:38 PM
There is this story about Don Camaso the former TnT cager that he had beaten Spud webb among others in a dunk contest in Brunei during an international meet in the early nineties when he was still at Metro Manila College down Novaliches.

pulang leon
04-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Benjie Paras didn't even try-out for the San Beda Red Cubs. He was just another student in San Beda High School until he broke the backboard of one of the goals in the covered courts when his classmates told him to dunk the ball during a PE class. Ato got wind of the news the kid who broke the backboard and decided to look for the kid. Benjie was introduced to Ato and the rest was history. By the way, Benjie was called "Tetchie" in high school (peace Benjie!) and classmates sila ni QC Vice-Mayor Herbert "Bistek" Bautista.

I heard about this one too.... Benjie Paras was already about 6'5 during his sophomore years... and was more of a comedian in class than Herbert "Bistek" Bautista... (outside basketball) About Bistek, legend also has it, that he asked to be transferred from another class when he found out that he would be under Mr. Tayao... hehehe.. one of the terror teachers in San Beda High School back then, and a math freak, the best HS math teacher in the country along with Mr. Loprades... hehehe.. their classmates too were "Boss" Vic del Rosario Jr. owner of VIVA (hot babes..hehe) and Robert Lyndon Barbers Jr... HS '86...

Fried Green Tomato
04-20-2006, 04:48 PM
i heard too that janitor story of turo valenzona.

speaking of janitor...

Cyrus Baguio was brought by his uncle to La Salle for a possible try-out. Unfortunately, they dont know anyone and when they were there, they don't know where to go & who to ask. So, they ask a janitor on when is the try-out... the janitor said "wala ng try-out". Baguio & his uncle left not knowing that accomodation for a special tryout could be given.

- Of the recent green archers, renren had the biggest heart. During the 2001 UAAP Finals, half-time of game 3, at the dugout, when the other archers were feeling down, it was renren who stood up and literally talked to each and everyone that the game was not yet over... the rest is history.

- Maybe, we can tell this now (of course, this is the unknown la salle version)... at the time when bj manalo was contemplating of playing his last uaap year with Ateneo, the one that finally convinced bj not to pursue his dream was a prominent la sallian. At the last minute, he stepped in and had a talk with bj.

pio_valenz
04-20-2006, 08:05 PM
There were several urban legends about Joe Lipa's first tour of duty with UP in the early to mid-80s that have been passed along to the younger generation over countless bottles of beer. These stories were all told to me by former UP players who claimed to have been there.

- One time, UP forward Evet Wenceslao arrived late for practice (an offense for any level-headed coach, but a mortal sin for Lipa). As soon as he stepped into the gym, Lipa yelled from way across the other side of building: "EVET!!!! GADDEMIT!!! YOU GET OUT OF HERE!!!"

Everyone in the gym, including the other varsity teams which were practicing nearby, froze in their tracks, and for a moment no one in the whole building moved. Wenceslao wisely left, but the following day he brought along his dad as "resbak". LiPA pulled Wenceslao aside and told him very calmly, "Evet, sa susunod na dadalhin mo ang tatay mo sa practice natin, gugulpihin ko kayong dalawa." :D

- After that incident, the players resorted to coming up with valid excuses to escape Lipa's wrath. Pretty soon some excuses were becoming more and more ridiculous that even Lipa had to smile at some of them. But no one could top Duane Salvaterra's excuse one day. "Coach, sorry hindi ako naka practice. May tribal war kasi sa probinsiya namin. Umuwi ako para tulungan yung tribe ko. Nakapatay nga ako eh." :o

- During halftime of one game where UP was predictably behind by several points, Lipa went into a rage in the locker room, throwing things into disarray and cursing at everyone. One assistant coach, fearful that he would get hurt, quietly made his way to the nearest shower cubicle where he planned to let the storm pass. When he opened the door, he found Papa Rod, UP's longtime utility guy, already inside. "Nauna ako dito! Maghanap ka ng sarili mong lugar!" after which he slammed the door shut. ;D

Lucas Palaka
04-21-2006, 05:31 AM
hahahaha, hanep sa mga kwento! mabuhay si coach joe!

MonL
04-21-2006, 09:23 AM
In one PBA game, Johnny Abarrientos was guarding the Big J. Johnny was able to swipe the ball from the dribbling Jawo, and scooted away for a solo break. In a show of smack, he even looked back to see if someone had tried to chase him on the break before laying up. After a while, Jawo approached Johnny and simply said ”Wag mo naman akong hiyain ng ganun uli,” or something to that effect. Johnny was wise enough to read the unspoken “Or ELSE!” in Jawo’s words, and in the next play that he was guarding Jawo, he slacked off on defense and even egged on the Big J to shoot… :D Speak softly and carry a big stick...... :D

keempee
04-26-2006, 02:48 PM
when the national team played as a guest team in the pba, there was a crucial game in which gonzalgo swiped the ball from magsanoc. mejo mahirap agawan si magsanoc...kahit si dindo pumaren, hirap mang agaw don.

the next day, in the tulay tambayan inside the AS building in UP (informal tambayan ng mga taga san beda and other grads of boy's schools), classmates were ribbing him about how he lost the game for his team. magsanoc explained na iba talga ang laro sa pba. dinuraan daw sya sa mata ni gonzalgo which enabled the latter to steal the ball.

chito loyzaga also kept muttering and threatening them na bawal ang sumalaksak na di nasasaktan.

admuhs_upengg
04-26-2006, 08:17 PM
when the national team played as a guest team in the pba, there was a crucial game in which gonzalgo swiped the ball from magsanoc. mejo mahirap agawan si magsanoc...kahit si dindo pumaren, hirap mang agaw don.

the next day, in the tulay tambayan inside the AS building in UP (informal tambayan ng mga taga san beda and other grads of boy's schools), classmates were ribbing him about how he lost the game for his team. magsanoc explained na iba talga ang laro sa pba. dinuraan daw sya sa mata ni gonzalgo which enabled the latter to steal the ball.

chito loyzaga also kept muttering and threatening them na bawal ang sumalaksak na di nasasaktan.

One of the masters of the dura was Abet Guidaben. At one Toyota - Crispa game I watched live, I saw him spit sideways at a bewildered Rino Salazar.

LION
04-27-2006, 08:22 AM
^ I am a Crispa fanatic but I have to admit that Bernie Fabiosa was the master spitter at that time. Kaya madalas silang magsapakan ni Francis Arnaiz dahil sa pandudura ni Bernie kay Kiko.

After every lay up or shot attempt by Francis, you could see him wiping away the spit from his face a few seconds later.

Ganyan ang Crispa vs. Toyota games. Ganyan ang mind games nung araw.

Kid Cubao
04-27-2006, 12:59 PM
onchie de la cruz was also a spit artist. he's also an artist in carving space via headbutt.

there's this story about how a young norman black, after a game in araneta, furiously chased down a sportswriter for writing disparagingly of his overall worth as an import. and that if it weren't for the legendary joe cantada, who was able to step in and intercept black that night, this poor soul would have never seen the light of the following day. however, the story doesn't end here: this same sportswriter later came out with an article that joe cantada found offensive. in response, smoking joe concluded a broadcast by challenging him to a bareknuckle match complete with date, time and place--to which the shrimp wisely declined and instead made up with joe.

dead giveaway na ito :D

LION
04-27-2006, 04:30 PM
^ Ito ba si Q?

bchoter
04-30-2006, 12:36 AM
^ si Queen ito?

Lucas Palaka
04-30-2006, 11:43 AM
no doubt it's queenita. the queen of sportswriters and norman black go a long ways :p another fine american player that the queen slandered was bobby parks when he debuted on philippine soil. the queen had alleged that parks was a drug user who got busted in college at memphis state.

turned out bobby was riding with a teammate when a state patrolman stopped their car for a routine check. the search yielded trace amounts of marijuana seeds on the glove compartment but no stash nor any related drug paraphernalia. in the investigation, what was learned was that parks's teammate had just bought the car the week before straight out of a used car lot just outside memphis. neither bobby nor his teammate had ever used drugs.

nevertheless the "drug allegations" reported by the queen hounded bobby for a time but eventually died a natural death given his splendid performance on the court and exemplary behavior off it.

Posterized
05-04-2006, 01:05 PM
I remember a particular bad ass Eaglet of the 98 or 99 team who allegedly got whacked by a Coke bottle by a batchmate of mine. The whole thing started when they bumped into each other and a stare down ensued. My batchmate who was drinking Coke then hit him on the head with the bottle, the Eaglet retaliated with a punch that leveled my batchmate. The eaglet then went to practice while the other guy was sent to the infirmary.

Hehe hindi ko na masyado matandaan ang kwento, so baka maraming mali.

MonL
05-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Those Mama's Love games in the old PABL were heavily attended by Visayan fans.... If you hadn't felt so alone in a basketball game, you would have been during those games if your favorite team was playing them.* Specially if you were seated in the upper box or bleachers section of the old Rizal Coliseum and almost all your seatmates speak Visayan...Specially when the crowd showed their ire over a bad call by shouting "BO !!!!!" instead of "BOOOOO!!!!"* Very intimidating ;D

LION
05-08-2006, 04:06 PM
^ Hahaha. This brings to mind that famous Dignadice plea to Hector Calma in a fastbreak play during their San Miguel days - "Hic, Hic, bula Hic, bula! :)

MonL
05-08-2006, 04:25 PM
^ Hahaha. This brings to mind that famous Dignadice plea to Hector Calma in a fastbreak play during their San Miguel days -* * "Hic, Hic, bula Hic, bula!* * :)

OT, just like DJ Long Tall Howard's regular mispronouncement of Depeche Mode (Depichi Mode, Depachi Mode, Depetsh Mode), many couldn't get Yves Dignadice's first name ("Ibs", "Ibes", "Aybs") or his last ("Dignadays") right the first time..... :D

Wang-Bu
05-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Bakit "ROOGS" ang nickname ng former Eagles teammates niya para kay Eric Reyes?

Mateen Cleaves
05-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Those Mama's Love games in the old PABL were heavily attended by Visayan fans.... If you hadn't felt so alone in a basketball game, you would have been during those games if your favorite team was playing them. Specially if you were seated in the upper box or bleachers section of the old Rizal Coliseum and almost all your seatmates speak Visayan...Specially when the crowd showed their ire over a bad call by shouting "BO !!!!!" instead of "BOOOOO!!!!" Very intimidating ;D

There was one conference (minsan lang nga ba?) when the best game in Manila was the all-Cebu match-up of Mama's Love vs Lhuillier. Mama's Love, which had Ric Ric Marata and a young Zaldy Realubit, was the sentimental favorite (parang Ginebra ng mga Bisaya). But Lhuillier had the glamour line-up of the high-flying Twin Diamonds -- Jolas and Samboy. I don't recall now which team Danny Lastimosa played for.

MonL
05-08-2006, 06:40 PM
There was one conference (minsan lang nga ba?) when the best game in Manila was the all-Cebu match-up of Mama's Love vs Lhuillier. Mama's Love, which had Ric Ric Marata and a young Zaldy Realubit, was the sentimental favorite (parang Ginebra ng mga Bisaya). But Lhuillier had the glamour line-up of the high-flying Twin Diamonds -- Jolas and Samboy. I don't recall now which team Danny Lastimosa played for.

Danny started out with Mama's Love, as I recall... don't know if he played for any other team... Jolas can and did slam during his amateur days. Didn't see him do it at all in the pros. There was another well known player then which came out of those perenially tough UV teams,* Anthony Mendoza. He first appeared sporting a Rod Stewart-type hairdo, but cropped it when he played briefly (?) in the pros(Ańejo?)....another could have been, as his personal problems then took its toll on his game.

LION
05-08-2006, 06:44 PM
^ Yes. I recall Anthony Mendoza. He did appear sporting that Rod Stewart hairdo. After that, he appeared with NOTHING, if you know what I mean. :)

atenean_blooded
05-09-2006, 01:49 AM
no doubt it's queenita. the queen of sportswriters and norman black go a long ways :p another fine american player that the queen slandered was bobby parks when he debuted on philippine soil. the queen had alleged that parks was a drug user who got busted in college at memphis state.

turned out bobby was riding with a teammate when a state patrolman stopped their car for a routine check. the search yielded trace amounts of marijuana seeds on the glove compartment but no stash nor any related drug paraphernalia. in the investigation, what was learned was that parks's teammate had just bought the car the week before straight out of a used car lot just outside memphis. neither bobby nor his teammate had ever used drugs.

nevertheless the "drug allegations" reported by the queen hounded bobby for a time but eventually died a natural death given his splendid performance on the court and exemplary behavior off it.

Queen of Sportwriters? So si Beth Celis?

Ahihihihi. :)

I remember a PBA game when Jaworski was playing coach. He got called for a foul (seen on national TV, of course). The guy-who-would-be-senator-someday then proceeded to scream at the referee (I am not sure if he was called for a technical foul because of his eloquence). The video feed then cut to an on-floor shot of Jaworski throughout the altercation. And so, we have an unforgettable moment: Jawo walking up to the referee, screaming "P*T*NG*N* MO!" He then turned to the guy whom he supposedly fouled, pointed a finger at the guy's face, and screamed, "P*T*NG*N* MO!" Then, realizing that he was caught on camera, he decided to turn to the camera man. And so, he proceeded to scream at the camera man (and from a TV viewer's point of view, he seemed to send the same greeting to all watching the game): "P*T*NG*N* MO!"

Banat ng commentator (si Queen yata): "Galit na galit talaga itong si Big J!"

atenean_blooded
05-09-2006, 01:56 AM
way back in the 50s ateneo faced la salle in the ncaa finals. story goes that la salle was ahead by 2 with seconds remaining. story further goes that the la salle band was already playing its victory song. then bobby littaua of ateneo connected on a hail mary heave from way out, forcing overtime and stunning the la salle side. ateneo won in overtime and seized the championship.

as this story's been told and passed on thru generations of ateneans, paiba-iba yung details. some say littaua shot from about 30 feet. some say he was just inside halfcourt. dick gordon says he was well beyond halfcourt, saying he shot from "clear across halfcourt." some say there were 7 seconds left when bobby got the ball off the inbound, giving him plenty of time to dribble closer to the basket. some say there were 2 seconds left, and the buzzer sounded as the ball left bobby's hand. of course, proponents of the "2 seconds left" story would say that bobby shot from 50 or 60 feet.

amazing thing is that reportedly bobby himself couldn't remember from where he shot. which is just as well, as it makes this story much more fascinating to narrate.

feel free to correct me if it wasn't bobby littaua who made the shot.

Littaua made the shot from quartercourt. (Aegis 1959)

MonL
05-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Littaua made the shot from quartercourt. (Aegis 1959)

His family and mine are neighbors in Las Pińas. Bobby died a few years back, and before that my kababata, his eldest son, Francis died, too....Rest in peace, Bobby...hope you're still shooting hoops from way out where you are now, with Francis.

bchoter
05-13-2006, 10:40 AM

Queen of Sportwriters? So si Beth Celis?

Ahihihihi. :)

I remember a PBA game when Jaworski was playing coach. He got called for a foul (seen on national TV, of course). The guy-who-would-be-senator-someday then proceeded to scream at the referee (I am not sure if he was called for a technical foul because of his eloquence). The video feed then cut to an on-floor shot of Jaworski throughout the altercation. And so, we have an unforgettable moment: Jawo walking up to the referee, screaming "P*T*NG*N* MO!" He then turned to the guy whom he supposedly fouled, pointed a finger at the guy's face, and screamed, "P*T*NG*N* MO!" Then, realizing that he was caught on camera, he decided to turn to the camera man. And so, he proceeded to scream at the camera man (and from a TV viewer's point of view, he seemed to send the same greeting to all watching the game): "P*T*NG*N* MO!"

Philip Cezar didn't have the same fixation with the camera. He's more of a microphone guy. Knowing that a microhone was placed at the goal post (or somewhere in that area), he didn't have to shout to get his message accross.

AnthonyServinio
05-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Philip Cezar didn't have the same fixation with the camera. He's more of a microphone guy.* Knowing that a microhone was placed at the goal post (or somewhere in that area), he didn't have to shout to get his message accross.
I think that was Jess Migalbin (the father of Richard Yee).* Migalbin, who was with San Miguel at that time, was called for a foul.* Knowing that there was an "ambience mike" at the goal post, he went to the padding and shouted "P***** I** M*!"

Of course, the commentator at that time the late Joe Cantada was shocked at first but quickly recovered his bearings and said "That was cute.".

MonL
06-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Whenever a player enters a game, he should make sure that he shows no timidity* in front of his coach and in fact should display some swagger and pride for his team. Time to show your game face. This is part of being prepared to play your all once you are sent in. This I gathered was Coach Orly Castelo’s belief during his tenure with the Red Lions in 1990, which he tried in his own manner to impart to the team.* In one instance,so the story goes, Lion forward and future pro Ato Morano was told to sub in the game. Castelo didn’t like Ato’s walk towards the official’s table. According to the tale, he called Ato back and told him “Pu**** i** m**, bakit ka nakayuko? Nahihiya ka bang maglaro para sa iskwela mo?!? UPO!!!” And Ato was sent back to the bench. Later on Ato would show a certain swagger, focus and game face which reflected his game. He would become a big game scorer for years to come, for the Lions, and for the National Team.* *:)

bluebruiser90
07-18-2006, 03:48 PM
^ Yes. I recall Anthony Mendoza. He did appear sporting that Rod Stewart hairdo. After that, he appeared with NOTHING, if you know what I mean.* * *:)

Urban Legend has it that he was so stoned out of his wits that he ran naked on the streets and burned a car.

Kid Cubao
07-18-2006, 04:27 PM
yup, bruiser, balitang-balita yang ginawa ni anthony mendoza. legend also had it that it took an entire police detachment in mandaue city, cebu to subdue him from his pyro frenzy.

LION
07-18-2006, 04:41 PM
It's not only a legend. It really happened. The event was well documented and photographed by People's Tonight, if I remember it right. Nasa grade school pa lang ako nung mabasa ko sa diaryo.

bluebruiser90
07-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Those Mama's Love games in the old PABL were heavily attended by Visayan fans.... If you hadn't felt so alone in a basketball game, you would have been during those games if your favorite team was playing them.* Specially if you were seated in the upper box or bleachers section of the old Rizal Coliseum and almost all your seatmates speak Visayan...Specially when the crowd showed their ire over a bad call by shouting "BO !!!!!" instead of "BOOOOO!!!!"* Very intimidating ;D

I remember that tournament. Got to watch a Lhuillier's game against a Joe Lipa coached ESQ which was bannered by Allan Caidic and Jerome Cueto. What I remembered from that game was the high wire dunking duels during the round robins between Samboy and Jolas on one side and Cueto for ESQ. Cueto had them as he looked more spectacular doing his two handed jams being just 5'8". Then there was the altercation between Jojo Martin and Jolas after Martin hacked Samboy for a hard foul. Jolas went for Martin's head and Martin ducked just at the right time to avoid most of Jolas's clenched fist. He still got nipped and had to go out for stitches. That Lhuillier team had everybody who was anybody in Cebu: including Jerry Aratan and Al Solis.

freak
07-18-2006, 11:03 PM

haha.. although I was very young during these times, I could remember well when watching Jawo, my mom would sit next to me so that she can immediately put her hands on my ears whenever Jawo or any other player would feel the urge to have their true "feelings" heard via the mics underneath the backboard :D ;D :D

hmmm.. Galit nga siguro si Jawo.. hehe

AnthonyServinio
07-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Since I never heard or saw it first hand, did then college superstar Zandro Limpot in jubliation once say "We are the championship!" ???

Now that's if ever a true urban legend!

Jump_Shooter
07-29-2006, 01:43 PM
^Kulang pa yan. Someone once told me that during a TV interview, the courtside reporter was talking to Limpot.

Reporter: "Jun, napakaganda ng pinakita mo sa larong ito. Congratulations."

Limpot: "Uh, congratulations din."

Then there was the story about Limpot's teammate who proclaimed that, as defending champions, he liked his team's chances of scoring a "double back-to-back".

MonL
02-26-2007, 08:11 AM
There were several urban legends about Joe Lipa's first tour of duty with UP in the early to mid-80s that have been passed along to the younger generation over countless bottles of beer. These stories were all told to me by former UP players who claimed to have been there.

- One time, UP forward Evet Wenceslao arrived late for practice (an offense for any level-headed coach, but a mortal sin for Lipa). As soon as he stepped into the gym, Lipa yelled from way across the other side of building: "EVET!!!! GADDEMIT!!! YOU GET OUT OF HERE!!!"

Everyone in the gym, including the other varsity teams which were practicing nearby, froze in their tracks, and for a moment no one in the whole building moved. Wenceslao wisely left, but the following day he brought along his dad as "resbak". LiPA pulled Wenceslao aside and told him very calmly, "Evet, sa susunod na dadalhin mo ang tatay mo sa practice natin, gugulpihin ko kayong dalawa."* :D

- After that incident, the players resorted to coming up with valid excuses to escape Lipa's wrath. Pretty soon some excuses were becoming more and more ridiculous that even Lipa had to smile at some of them. But no one could top Duane Salvaterra's excuse one day. "Coach, sorry hindi ako naka practice. May tribal war kasi sa probinsiya namin. Umuwi ako para tulungan yung tribe ko. Nakapatay nga ako eh."* :o
- During halftime of one game where UP was predictably behind by several points, Lipa went into a rage in the locker room, throwing things into disarray and cursing at everyone. One assistant coach, fearful that he would get hurt, quietly made his way to the nearest shower cubicle where he planned to let the storm pass. When he opened the door, he found Papa Rod, UP's longtime utility guy, already inside. "Nauna ako dito! Maghanap ka ng sarili mong lugar!" after which he slammed the door shut.* ;D

I attended last Saturday's SBC Alumni Homecoming. The host was my youngest brother's* HS '82 batch, which also included in their ranks his former Red Cub teammates Joey Mendoza and Duane Salvatera, now paunchy and shaven-headed, respectively.

I told the above story to my brother, who was close to Duane, and he smiled and said "talagang magulo sa kanila..."* :o I didn't ask him to elaborate anymore.... :D

Semenelin
02-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Danny started out with Mama's Love, as I recall... don't know if he played for any other team... Jolas can and did slam during his amateur days. Didn't see him do it at all in the pros. There was another well known player then which came out of those perenially tough UV teams,* Anthony Mendoza. He first appeared sporting a Rod Stewart-type hairdo, but cropped it when he played briefly (?) in the pros(Ańejo?)....another could have been, as his personal problems then took its toll on his game.

jolas stopped flying when the big "J" punched him in the stomach. na-technical si jawo nun, pero hindi na masyado lumilipad si jolas nun.

02-26-2007, 09:08 PM
onchie de la cruz was also a spit artist. he's also an artist in carving space via headbutt.

Wily Willie Generalao was also a spit artist. Bawal dumura sa court, kasi kahoy diba, so he always spat INSIDE his jersey from the neckline. Imagine his uniform after a game.....

:o

danny
02-27-2007, 03:25 AM
It's not only* a legend. It really happened. The event was well documented and photographed by People's Tonight, if I remember it right.* Nasa grade school pa lang ako nung mabasa ko sa diaryo.

Urban legend? ;D

MonL
02-27-2007, 07:10 AM
It's not only* a legend. It really happened. The event was well documented and photographed by People's Tonight, if I remember it right.* Nasa grade school pa lang ako nung mabasa ko sa diaryo.*

Urban legend? ;D

:D :D :D Nyaaahahahaha!!!!

LION
02-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Grade 1 to be exact. ;D

Hoy, pare pareho nating naabutan si Voltes V, Mekanda Robot at Mazinger Z (pati na rin si Aphrodit A [tama ba spelling?) with her boobs missiles). ;D

MonL
02-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Grade 1 to be exact.* * ;D* *

Hoy, pare pareho nating naabutan si Voltes V,* Mekanda Robot at Mazinger Z (pati na rin si Aphrodit A [tama ba spelling?)* with her boobs missiles).* *;D

Hindi ba si Jimmy Sparks at si Gigantor?* ;D Hmmmm.. panibagong usapin na ito sa "Wala Lang..." thread. :)

brian
02-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Grade 1 to be exact.* * ;D* *

Hoy, pare pareho nating naabutan si Voltes V,* Mekanda Robot at Mazinger Z (pati na rin si Aphrodit A [tama ba spelling?)* with her boobs missiles).* *;D

pareng lion, saludo ako sa iyo...grade 1 palang ngababasa ka na ng dyaryo..sport's page at that.

mukhang nagkakape ka na rin nung grade 1 ah he he! ;D!....

LION
02-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Actually nagsimula sa cartoons page, pareng brian, tapos napunta sa sports page.*

Bulletin Today (now Manila Bulletin) pa lang yata ang diyaryo nung araw - peryodiko pa ang tawag ni erpats.* * *Wala kasing cable nung araw, chanel 9 at 7 lang kaya pag walang magawa, pati diyaryo binabasa. At hindi lang diyaryo ang binabasa ko noon.* *;D

Pero wala akong binatbat sa anak ko. At age 7, he started to regularly monitor the forex. Marami kasing dollars na binibigay sa kanya mga tito at tita sa US. ;)

brian
02-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Pero wala akong binatbat sa anak ko. At age 7, he started to regularly monitor the forex. Marami kasing dollars na binibigay sa kanya mga tito at tita sa US.* ;)

ibang iba na talaga ang panahon ngayon ha ha! ;D

but if this is so.....i guess we're in good hands he he!

toti_mendiola
02-27-2007, 04:42 PM
It's not only* a legend. It really happened. The event was well documented and photographed by People's Tonight, if I remember it right.* Nasa grade school pa lang ako nung mabasa ko sa diaryo.*

Urban legend? ;D

Aha. nung mga panahong ito ay wala pako sa mundo at wala pa rin kayong binu bully at inuutusang bumili sa tindahan pagka tinatamad kayo. :D ;D

pachador
02-28-2007, 04:33 AM
anyone can give more information on Cebuano dunking terror , 5'11"* Michael Dumdum back in the 80s. I was still young when stories of his legendary acrobatics started going through the grapevine in the visayas. I heard he humiliated(posterized)several of the the PBA superstars during games in the south. some of the wilder stories I heard is that when he jumped, his elbow could touch the rim or that he could pick 1 piso coins from the top of the backboard. Too bad he did not play in the PBA(or did he?) any info or details on his prowess and stories about him? thanks

There is also this story I heard about a new cebuano giant , Rino Berame, a 6'8" hulking behemoth from nearby Olango island recounted to me during the cebu sinulog by a friend . He replaced 6'6" Quinahan, another Hulk, on the U.V. lancers team when Quinahan graduated or so I heard. any other info about him?

by the way, whats up with 6'10" Eman samigue another visaya who is from mindanao? is eman in good shape and improving?

another story I heard is that the U.V lancers of cebu had or have? a dunking demon in Morsie Akad. any stories about him?

MonL
02-28-2007, 10:05 AM
There is also this story I heard about a new cebuano giant , Rino Berame, a 6'8" hulking behemoth from nearby Olango island recounted to me during the cebu sinulog by a friend . He replaced 6'6" Quinahan, another Hulk, on the U.V. lancers team when Quinahan graduated or so I heard. any other info about him?

We have seen much of Berame during the Collegiate Champion's League several months ago. He is big and mobile. He even sank a 3 pointer against SBC. But he was not able to control the paint due to the presence of Ekwe. He needs to polish his inside game more.

But owing to the theme of this thread, is there any unusual/generally unknown anecdote about him you care to share?

oca
02-28-2007, 11:17 AM
anyone can give more information on Cebuano dunking terror , 5'11"* Michael Dumdum back in the 80s. I was still young when stories of his legendary acrobatics started going through the grapevine in the visayas. I heard he humiliated(posterized)several of the the PBA superstars during games in the south. some of the wilder stories I heard is that when he jumped, his elbow could touch the rim or that he could pick 1 piso coins from the top of the backboard. Too bad he did not play in the PBA(or did he?) any info or details on his prowess and stories about him? thanks

by the way, whats up with 6'10" Eman samigue another visaya who is from mindanao? is eman in good shape and improving?

another story I heard is that the U.V lancers of cebu had or have? a dunking demon in Morsie Akad. any stories about him?

Dumdum was a high school phenom. My introduction to this kid was at the National Inter-Secondary in 1986.

Nag-abot sa finals ang Paras powered Red Cubs at and koponan ni Dumdum na Cebu Central Colleges. The Red Cubs were aiming for an unprecedented third consecutive National title.

5'11" Dumdum vs the hulking 6'4" Paras.

Hindi maka poste si Paras. Dumdum was strong enough to push Paras out of his comfort zone. Ganoon kalakas si Dumdum. If the elder members here could remember how Benjie dominated the UAAP in his rookie year, take note that a few months earlier Dumdum had rendered Paras ineffective in a championship game. Dumdum has the typical footwork of a player under 6 feet, but the strength of a 6'5". Not surprising he dominated the high school ranks.

CCC would win in a very closely fought game.

In college, the downside to Dumdum's game was with his low ceiling he never learned to play the "smaller positions". Infact he remained a power player even at the commercial leagues.I even saw him play in the PABL. Talagang hindi na umaangat yung laro. Uubra ba dito ang 5'11" na power player?

Remember Jojo Lastimosa when he first came to Manila w/ Mama's Love? That's the type of player Dumdum was, but more brusque, more powerful. But Lastimosa was an intelligent player who adapted his game to the big leagues. From a power forward with Colegio San Jose- Recolletos, he would learn to play the 2 spot.

But Dumdum's game didn't evolved...* :(

For any specie who doesn't, you are bound for extinction.

pachador
02-28-2007, 12:33 PM
well, the problem is that when i was listening to the stories, it was in a bar with noisy music and naked strippers dancing plus I was kinda drunk. About Berame , the Olango island giant, the story I heard about how he was discovered is similar to the story I heard about how the Camiguin island giant ,6'5" Abet Guidaben, was discovered so I dont know how much of this is true. Supposedly, a basketball scout heard about a young giant so he went to visit Olango island. When he saw Berame, he was swimming in the sea with the water up to his neck so , at first the scout was unimpressed, then Berame came ashore, and lo and behold, the scout realized he was looking at a very tall young man indeed, until Berame stood next to him towering, and the scout had to crane his neck up to see Berame face, and on the spot, Berame was hired to play for the U.V. lancers.

We have seen much of Berame during the Collegiate Champion's League several months ago. He is big and mobile. He even sank a 3 pointer against SBC. But he was not able to control the paint due to the presence of Ekwe. He needs to polish his inside game more.

But owing to the theme of this thread, is there any unusual/generally unknown anecdote about him you care to share?

AnthonyServinio
02-28-2007, 10:25 PM
* * *Michael Dumdum got a chance to play professional basketball via the MBA's Socsargen Marlins in 1998. The sad part of the story is that the guy was around 30 years of age in his "rookie" season and not the highly rated player of a decade earlier hence he was not able to properly display his wares.* After his one-season pro stint, he returned home were he became a part of the legendary M. Lhuillier Jewelers.* Dumdum was supposed to play in the club's recent Reunion Game but mysteriously did not arrive at the Cebu Coliseum for the said game.

MonL
03-01-2007, 09:04 AM
When he saw Berame, he was swimming in the sea with the water up to his neck so , at first the scout was unimpressed, then Berame came ashore, and lo and behold, the scout realized he was looking at a very tall young man indeed, until Berame stood next to him towering, and the scout had to crane his neck up to see Berame face, and on the spot, Berame was hired to play for the U.V. lancers.

Reminds me of a poem from the original version of the movie "The Omen:"

...From the eternal sea he rises, creating armies on either shore,
* turning man against his brother till man exist no more.

And with Anthony's warning about scouting for Vis-Min prospects in another thread, there may be an escalating war later on.
Recruiting war.

???
Abangan.

pachador
03-01-2007, 09:34 AM
thats actually good because it will improve the levels of competition as well as skill levels not only in manila but for the whole philippines since more teams from the south(and maybe the north as well) are now competitive with manila teams. it will be good overall for philippine basketball.

And with Anthony's warning about scouting for Vis-Min prospects in another thread, there may be an escalating war later on.
Recruiting war.

???
Abangan.

LION
03-01-2007, 09:54 AM
When he saw Berame, he was swimming in the sea with the water up to his neck so , at first the scout was unimpressed, then Berame came ashore, and lo and behold, the scout realized he was looking at a very tall young man indeed, until Berame stood next to him towering, and the scout had to crane his neck up to see Berame face, and on the spot, Berame was hired to play for the U.V. lancers.

Recruiting war.

???
Abangan.

OT :

Reminds me also of the James Bond movie where Halle Berry came ashore with Pierce Brosnan looking at her pruriently.

For the older guys like MonL, the scene will remind them of a much older James Bond movie starring Bo Derek and Sean Connery.

Ok, back to Rino Berame and the beach scene (what a downer). ;D

MonL
03-01-2007, 10:12 AM
OT :

Reminds me also of the James Bond movie where Halle Berry came ashore with* Pierce Brosnan looking at her pruriently.

For the older guys like MonL, the scene will remind them of a much older James Bond movie starring Bo Derek and Sean Connery.

Ok, back to Rino Berame and the beach scene (what a downer).* *;D

Sabi na nga ba't hihirit nanaman ito...* ;D
Oy, si danny(Roger Moore) ang resbakin mo!* :D

danny
03-02-2007, 02:28 AM
Excuse me. Pierce Brosnan 007 DVD ang collection ko. >:(

I-text ko kayo diyan eh. ;D

pachador
03-02-2007, 09:20 AM
About 6'9" Bonnel Balingit, the story that made the rounds in my native city of cagayan de oro when I was still a kid was that he was such a big and imposing hulk that whenever he was walking in the streets , the stray dogs who would normally howl at any passerby would wimper and hide in a corner whenever Balingit passed by. The elders would say, "Si Balingit kay dako kaayo na higante mas que si guidaben kay morag niwang na enano kung mag-abay sila" ( Balingit was such a giant, that Guidaben would look like a skinny dwarf next to him).

WampumTribe
04-30-2007, 06:55 PM

turning man against his brothe
r till man exist no more.

Recruiting war.

???
Abangan.

OT :

Reminds me also of the James Bond movie where Halle Berry came ashore with Pierce Brosnan looking at her pruriently.

Ok, back to Rino Berame and the beach scene (what a downer). ;D

Actually, it was Ursula Andress who enacted the slutty-version scene of Venus rising out of the waters in the first James Bond film – Dr. No. Bo Derek loaded the screens in 1979 (and consequently, teenage boys unloaded their longings), long after Sean Connery retired the role.

Addendum: Favorite Bond Babe Name – Pussy Galore

bluebruiser90
05-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Dumdum was a high school phenom. My introduction to this kid was at the National Inter-Secondary in 1986.

Nag-abot sa finals ang Paras powered Red Cubs at and koponan ni Dumdum na Cebu Central Colleges. The Red Cubs were aiming for an unprecedented third consecutive National title.....

.....CCC would win in a very closely fought game.

If I remember corrctly, the '86 national Inter-Secondary finals was between the Red Cubs of Paras against the La Salle Greenies of Eric Reyes and Joey Guanio which the Greenies won. The Red Cubs met a Visayan club in the semis, the UV Baby Lancers who almost pulled an upset on the defending champs as they were leading by two in the closing seconds before Jigs Mendoza (former Shell Asst. Coach) buried a dagger in the heart three as time expired.

joelex
08-25-2007, 04:19 AM
in one of the fil-chi commercial leagues recently, one player apparently scored 114 points in a single game, making 35 3 pt shots!

it was said that it isnt like he was given all day to shoot; defenders gave enough effort on D.

nevertheless, sinking 35 trifectas is hard already in itself to do in a regulation game be it with agressive D or not.

pachador
08-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Dumdum reminds me now of a zamboangueno bar reviewer, Chito , who said that he used to play for Southwestern Univ Cobras in Cebu. Anyway, whenever we played pick-up games with Chito, you really had to get out of the way when he drove inside because at 6'1" 230 lbs , he would mow you down if you were in his path. Back then , I was a skinny 155 lbs and there were several occasions were i stood my ground guarding him, and i paid the price by getting knocked down.. One time, he jumped high to intimidate an undergoal stab, he grabbed the ring, but because the wooden board was already old, the ring and the wooden planks came crashing down. luckily no one was hurt. another time he got into a near violent altercation with a Waray bar reviewer from Samar. Whoa ! we didnt know that this Waray while reviewing for the bar packed a long jungle bolo in his maleta. This waray came out swinging with his bolo and started to hack at a nearby tree while cursing to signal his attack. Chito responded by picking up a heavy metal bar . and started banging a nearby garbage can to signal his readiness as well. fortunately, 2 other guys lunged at the Waray and pinned him down... phew !!!

Nag-abot sa finals ang Paras powered Red Cubs at and koponan ni Dumdum na Cebu Central Colleges. The Red Cubs were aiming for an unprecedented third consecutive National title.

Hindi maka poste si Paras. Dumdum was strong enough to push Paras out of his comfort zone. Ganoon kalakas si Dumdum. If the elder members here could remember how Benjie dominated the UAAP in his rookie year, take note that a few months earlier Dumdum had rendered Paras ineffective in a championship game. Dumdum has the typical footwork of a player under 6 feet, but the strength of a 6'5". Not surprising he dominated the high school ranks.

CCC would win in a very closely fought game.

In college, the downside to Dumdum's game was with his low ceiling he never learned to play the "smaller positions". Infact he remained a power player even at the commercial leagues.I even saw him play in the PABL. Talagang hindi na umaangat yung laro. Uubra ba dito ang 5'11" na power player?

Remember Jojo Lastimosa when he first came to Manila w/ Mama's Love? That's the type of player Dumdum was, but more brusque, more powerful. But Lastimosa was an intelligent player who adapted his game to the big leagues. From a power forward with Colegio San Jose- Recolletos, he would learn to play the 2 spot.

But Dumdum's game didn't evolved... :(

For any specie who doesn't, you are bound for extinction.

thadzonline
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM

Duhig actually scored 79 points in one game in 1989 as a member of the CAAA champions CIT Wildcats squad back then, connecting on 18 triples. The guy who supposedly made 20 3-pointers was Alfredo Sanchez of UP Iloilo. Here's the link:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2003/01/16/sports/oyson.18.triples.scored.in.caaa.html

However, it was Julian Macoy of the USC Green and Gold Warriors who scored 126 points in 29 minutes. He also had a 101-point game also in 29 minutes and these happened when there were no three-point shots yet. This was in the late 50's. Last time I was at USC Gym, I still saw his jersey hanging in the wall.

dark_seid
10-18-2007, 09:05 PM
^ I am a Crispa fanatic but I have to admit that Bernie Fabiosa was the master spitter at that time. Kaya madalas silang magsapakan ni Francis Arnaiz dahil sa pandudura ni Bernie kay Kiko.

After every lay up or shot attempt by Francis, you could see him wiping away the spit from his face a few seconds later.

a story from the bball-crazy dad of my office colleague from a few years back. the dates and names i got muddled.

back in the 60's, the philippine national team was playing korea for the right to play in the finals. as it was, korea was bannered by a hot-shooting 2-guard.

lahat ng pandaraya ginawa na ni lim eng beng (nakalimutan ko na talaga kung sino yun sa kwento ng ofcmate ko) para lang madepensa yun koreano. from defending the korean's jump shot with a hand on the hips to placing one of his knees in between the guy's legs in a defensive stance. mainit masyado. hot-shooting pa rin.

as the game came to a last possession, lamang yun pinas but korea had ball possession with a chance to win. korea called a timeout to mapped out the last play, but everyone in the building knew this hot-shooting korean guard was taking the last shot.

in the philippine huddle, the guys were curious why lim wasn't talkative in how to defend the korean hotshot. he was just basically nodding his head up and down for an affirmative answer, and sideways for a negative, to any questions posed to him by his coach or his fellow players. he was too quiet.

ayun pala sa huling play, lim waited for the korean to go into his shooting motion. patalon na ang koreano at bigla na lang may "tubig" tumama sa mata nya.

missed!!! gandang depensa kase walang foul. panalo pinas ;D ;D ;D

canmaker
10-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Beng played in the early 70's for dlsu ..

Baka Ed Ocampo and Shin Dong Pa yung tamang characters sa story mo ...

Jaco D
10-19-2007, 04:52 AM
Beng played in the early 70's for dlsu ..

Baka Ed Ocampo and Shin Dong Pa yung tamang characters sa story mo ...

Buko, you're right - Beng came in after the sixties, though flicking "hok-tus" seemed inconsistent with the way Ed played as far as I remember.* My hunch is the culprit was the late Tembong Melencio since Melencio was the one who first clamped down on the Korean by planting his leg between Shin's legs similar to how Dark_seid described it.* Of course, Coach Tembong's other on-court antics are legendary.

thadzonline
10-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Si Balingit daw, because of his strength ginagawang pamalit sa kalabaw to pull the plough sa bukid

blue scorpion
10-23-2007, 05:18 PM
BJ Manalo was offered a car plus a house and lot just to play for La Salle.

fujima04
10-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Si Balingit daw, because of his strength ginagawang pamalit sa kalabaw to pull the plough sa bukid

Ang narinig kong kwento na katulad nito ay yung kay Nelson Asaytono.

dark_seid
10-23-2007, 08:50 PM
danny ildefonso and rommel adducul, good buddies, were both supposed to enter the pro league at the same time. at that time, the metropolitan basketball association was using big contract offers to entice these two to join them instead of the pba. both agreed with danny going to pangasinan and rommel to manila.

but alas, danny ildefonso beat the pba deadline for applicants to the upcoming draft. so what about the mba contract?

shell, picking first, had no choice but to trade ildefonso to san miguel, picking second and having the financial clout to buy out the mba contract.

thadzonline
10-23-2007, 11:53 PM
si Balingit while standing in line sa phone booth during his playing days sa UV(phones then had that round dial)...he asked the guy standing next to him for a pencil kasi hindi kasya daliri niya sa dial ng phone

LION
10-24-2007, 07:53 AM

Ang narinig kong kwento na katulad nito ay yung kay Nelson Asaytono.

Si Asaytono ay nagtrabaho daw sa construction at hindi sa bukid. Taga pala daw ng gravel and sand.* Same thing with Yoyoy Villamin.* See guys,* the construction sites are definitely much better than the fitness gyms mushrooming in Metro Manila.* *And this is another urban legend?* Construction sites vs. Gold's Gym and Fitness First?

*edited to change "Yoyo" to "Yoyoy".

mighty_lion
10-24-2007, 08:29 AM
^ Naks Golds and FF lang. ;D

Its sad to hear that after some years of stint sa PBA magiging ganun yong career nila. Hindi sa minamaliit ko yong pagbubukid or construction worker pero wala bang some sort of social security or benefit plan yong mga PBA players. Some sort of securing thier future on way or another. Nung bata bata pa ako, idol ko yan si Asaytono.. Yeah the Bull! Sugod kasi ako ng sugod eh... Nakakalungkot lang marining na after sometime magiging ganun sila.

LION
10-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Kaw talaga. Peace na daw sa PEX. ;D

Nung araw kasi walang* seminars na binibigay ang PBA tungkol sa financial management, investment and lifestyle management.* These seminars are essential especially for players who are what we call "the rags to riches" type.* Instant milyonaryo kasi kaya gastos dito gastos dun ang ginagawa.

Would you believe that at the twilight of Yoyoy Villamin's career, he became our neighbor when he rented a small house erected on a 150 square meter lot in Fairview? Bata pa ang mga anak nya noon.* At that time I was thinking how come Yoyoy is just renting a small house?* After 2 years they moved out and relocated to an undisclosed location.

He also owned at that time a passenger van but I forgot the brand. He told me once that Nelson Asaytono changes cars like he's changing clothes.* Naka ilang palit daw ng Chedeng si Asaytono nung kasikatan niya.* Basta may bagong modelo ng Chedeng dispose agad yung auto niya at bibilhin kaagad yung bago. Sabi nga ni Big J, wala ng isip isip pa.
Now, I think the PBA is providing lifestyle management seminars to the players and their families.

mighty_lion
10-24-2007, 04:09 PM
I dont know if it is true, kwento lang sa akin minsan ng nakakatandang Bedista. Meron daw minsan practice ang red cubs tapos on certain play na tinuturo ni Coach Ato, nagpasikat daw si Ritualo at lumayo sa play tapos dumakdak sa ring sabay kantyaw sa depensa. Nagalit daw si Ato at pinag-dudunk daw si Ritualo boung maghapon. The next day sa practice bawal syang tumira unless dunk. ;D

thadzonline
10-24-2007, 04:22 PM
hahahaha..pero talaganag kaya ni Renren mag dunk saw him do it once sa UAAP rookie season niya yata yun on a fastbreak play

MonL
10-24-2007, 05:49 PM
I dont know if it is true, kwento lang sa akin minsan ng nakakatandang Bedista. Meron daw minsan practice ang red cubs tapos on certain play na tinuturo ni Coach Ato, nagpasikat daw si Ritualo at lumayo sa play tapos dumakdak sa ring sabay kantyaw sa depensa. Nagalit daw si Ato at pinag-dudunk daw si Ritualo boung maghapon. The next day sa practice bawal syang tumira unless dunk.* ;D

Kay Benjie Paras may dunk legend din.* In one practice scrimmage during his Red Cub days, after making a two handed slam, he raced upcourt but also raised both arms ala Rocky, raising a ton of laughs from his teammates and also a ton of "PUNYETAs!!!" from Coach Ato Badolato.* *:D

mighty_lion
10-24-2007, 08:04 PM

Parang me alam akong ganyan match-up lately ah. ;D
Repeat of the 80s? ;D

Jaco D
10-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Its sad to hear that after some years of stint sa PBA magiging ganun yong career nila. Hindi sa minamaliit ko yong pagbubukid or construction worker pero wala bang some sort of social security or benefit plan yong mga PBA players. Some sort of securing thier future on way or another. Nung bata bata pa ako, idol ko yan si Asaytono.. Yeah the Bull! Sugod kasi ako ng sugod eh... Nakakalungkot lang marining na after sometime magiging ganun sila.

Doesn't the PBA already have a players' retirement fund funded by players' contributions during their playing years?* I remember Fritz Gaston, after retiring from the league, used his retirement proceeds to fund his masteral studies at AIM.* Of course, being the head of the players association, Fritz knew that such a thing existed and used his share of the funds wisely.* Do you think the others are not aware of this warchest or just flushed their share of the kitty down the drain though questionable investments/expenses?* Sayang naman.

AnthonyServinio
10-25-2007, 12:23 AM

Doesn't the PBA already have a players' retirement fund funded by players' contributions during their playing years?* I remember Fritz Gaston, after retiring from the league, used his retirement proceeds to fund his masteral studies at AIM.* Of course, being the head of the players association, Fritz knew that such a thing existed and used his share of the funds wisely.* Do you think the others are not aware of this warchest or just flushed their share of the kitty down the drain though questionable investments/expenses?* Sayang naman.

* * *AT that time, Fritz Gaston was still a bachelor so he used his share of the PBA Players' Trust Fund for his own education.

* * *I know of several retired PBA players who have dipped into the pot so to speak and were able to send their children through high school and/or college because of this.* By the way, their kids attended the better schools.

* * *The formula computed as follows -- one school year of scholarship per child for every season of playing in the PBA.* So for example, Player A who played four PBA seasons can use it to send one of his kids either through high school or a bachelor's degree.

The major source of cash for this trust fund are the various fines and penalties meted by the league for misconduct on and off the court. Sometimes, the teams or sponsors give donations to the fund but this is a rare case.

BedanRoar
11-04-2007, 05:44 PM
NCAA 50's, Mapua vs La salle. Badion of Mapua was going for his famous bicycle lay-up and in the shaded area there was a lanky 6'5 center Bachman to defend him (Inabot sa sikmura si bachman at namlipit sa sakit on the floor). Out of nowhere, an old woman with an umbrella was going after Badion. It turned out to be the mother of Bachman! hehehe

BedanRoar
11-04-2007, 06:07 PM
During the time when Andy Jao was the commissioner of the PABL, Itoy Esguera was part of the Committee. I think it was Mama's Love (anyway, a visayan team) was protesting a call and one of their ballboy's (with polio) threw a bottled water in the middle of the playing court (emotions were high). Itoy saw this, approached him, picked him up and threw the ballboy in the court. This outraged the solid visaya croud and after the game it took sometime before the PABL committee can go home. Visayan fans Solid as they are, naka abang sa pag labas nila (specifically Itoy Esguera).

Emon74
05-16-2009, 11:33 AM
this one from Cebu, falsification scam.

did you know there was once a player named Levi Sususco, well in reality he didnt exists!

it so happens meron basketball doctor sa cebu, or I should say, nandodoctor by the name of Dodong Agas who falsified the name of biboy ravanes into levi sususco in one tournament in 1977, and again in 1990 ginawa niya ulit to, this time si henry fernandez, who played under the name "Melvin Granada" in another tourney. may coach nga na nakapansin sa said player saying "parang nakita ko na yun"

pepman
06-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Parang ito?

[img]http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardImages/Cards/015/613/02F.jpg[/mg]

BTW, si Bogs daw, badingerz daw, Jawo even convinced him to kiss him or something. Anyone?

PEPE91
06-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Pio_Valenz...I am actually Herbert "Ebet" or "Pepe" Wenceslao...and just as a rebuttal to your story...there is no truth to that...and that includes your story about Duane Salvatera...but its very funny though...good try!! :D

Kwentohan na lang kita ng tutuo at nakakatawa rin during those days... na yung nag champion na kami nung 1986 sa UAAP so the very next day kaagad pinadala kami sa Hong Kong...salamat kina Congressman Reyno and to his Sigma Rho Brothers that includes Juan Ponce Enrile and Edgardo Angara...they happen to be our sponsors throughout our journey nuong 1986.

Anyways, to make the long story short nung pabalik na kaming papuntang Pinas and we were going through Hong Kong customs...yung isang kasama namin and I am not going to mention any name/s was very tense na parang may tinatago atang "kontrabando"...hinde siya mapakale...so itong taong kabado na ito kinusulta niya kami kung anong gagawin niya dahil kabadong kabado siya eh...as it turns out yung item palang dadalhin niyang pabalik ng Pinas eh yung "clone-a-pussy"...yung gomang fake na female genitalia na vibrator...LOL!!...anyways, sa sususunod at marami pa akong kwento...

Everyone in the gym, including the other varsity teams which were practicing nearby, froze in their tracks, and for a moment no one in the whole building moved. Wenceslao wisely left, but the following day he brought along his dad as "resbak". LiPA pulled Wenceslao aside and told him very calmly, "Evet, sa susunod na dadalhin mo ang tatay mo sa practice natin, gugulpihin ko kayong dalawa." :D

- After that incident, the players resorted to coming up with valid excuses to escape Lipa's wrath. Pretty soon some excuses were becoming more and more ridiculous that even Lipa had to smile at some of them. But no one could top Duane Salvaterra's excuse one day. "Coach, sorry hindi ako naka practice. May tribal war kasi sa probinsiya namin. Umuwi ako para tulungan yung tribe ko. Nakapatay nga ako eh." :o

- During halftime of one game where UP was predictably behind by several points, Lipa went into a rage in the locker room, throwing things into disarray and cursing at everyone. One assistant coach, fearful that he would get hurt, quietly made his way to the nearest shower cubicle where he planned to let the storm pass. When he opened the door, he found Papa Rod, UP's longtime utility guy, already inside. "Nauna ako dito! Maghanap ka ng sarili mong lugar!" after which he slammed the door shut. ;D

pio_valenz
06-16-2009, 07:13 PM
^Welcome to gameface, ex-Maroon Herbert Wenceslao! Well, my source for those urban legends was a former Maroon (I won't name him anymore). But if you say they didn't happen, then let's elave it at that. ;D

Paki-PM naman kung sino yung teammate mo who tried to smuggle in that interesting item. :D

5FootCarrot
07-08-2009, 10:18 AM
1. With all due respect to Mark Barocca, who is definitely no slouch on the court...

Tutoo bang nung bago pa siya sa Tams, napagkamalan siyang sikyu at muntik nang hindi papasukin (or hindi pinapasok) sa FEU Gym?

2. Sino yung player na pinatayo ni Baby Dalupan sa likuran niya kasi nambabato yung gallery ng mga piso?

cynic
08-18-2009, 05:40 PM

crispa may have had an excellent tradition of 'spit' artists cause aside from those earlier mentioned, the earliest one i heard of was johnny revilla, who was a redmanizer from around 1969 to 1974. pre-pba.

johnny also was legendary for issuing court to court fastbreak passes that land very near the baseline then bounces back to its receiver for the layup. pektus master din sya in other words.

but of course, johnny was most famous as a cheap shot artist, whose reputation for starting fights dwarfs rudy distritos. come to think of it, they both played guard for the university of the east.

catoots
10-21-2009, 06:45 PM
1. With all due respect to Mark Barocca, who is definitely no slouch on the court...

Tutoo bang nung bago pa siya sa Tams, napagkamalan siyang sikyu at muntik nang hindi papasukin (or hindi pinapasok) sa FEU Gym?

2. Sino yung player na pinatayo ni Baby Dalupan sa likuran niya kasi nambabato yung gallery ng mga piso?

ang kwento narinig ko kay Barocca eh nagpunta daw sa tryouts ng FEU ng naka-tsinelas. Nagduda si Mark Molina pero nung pinalaro na, pinanis lahat. Di ko lang alam kung nag-scrimmage ng naka tsinelas o pinahiram ng sapatos.

BigBlue
10-21-2009, 10:14 PM
^sa narinig kong version ng kwento, pinagalitan pa nga ni Montinola si Molina, bakit daw sya nagpapapasok ng mga tambay sa gym.

Emon74
06-27-2010, 10:12 AM
There was a story of Jojo Lastimosa bad-mouthing Lhuillier coach Yayoy Alcoseba sa dugout in one of those Converse-Lhuillier games. at may nabasa ko nakakatawa incident sa tabloid noon in one of Alaska's out of town games (don't know if its true), nataon actress Ruffa Guitierrez doon din ang punta ng family niya, nagkapalit daw ng bagahe sila ni Jolas sa airport, at pag open daw ni Lastimosa ng bag underwear ng babae bumulaga sa kanya ;D

salsa caballero
06-28-2010, 05:04 PM
kumuha ba raw ng souvenir si Jolas? ::)

bchoter
07-20-2010, 11:14 PM
teheheheheeeee

bawi ka na sa absent mo nung huling session pare :D

salsa caballero
07-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Oo ba. Sama ako ng kabaro mong uste :-) panatiko din.

atenean_blooded
07-21-2010, 12:59 PM

Ayos 'to ah. Hahahaha

pepman
07-23-2010, 04:07 AM
Parang ito?

http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardImages/Cards/015/613/02F.jpg

BTW, si Bogs daw, badingerz daw, Jawo even convinced him to kiss him or something. Anyone?

http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardImages/Cards/015/613/02F.jpg
correction

Emon74
03-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Not an urban legend but real.

During the Martial Law period, MICAA championship game ng Crispa at San Miguel in the 1970s covered live on black and white TV with Dick Ildefonso at the anchor, lamang ng malaki ang Crispa in the first half, humbol SMB in the second half at ang pagkakataon nila to grab the lead for the first time, the live broadcast was suddenly cut and viewers instead saw Van Cliburn playing his piano at the Cultural Center!
Natapos ang laro, basketball fans at a loss on who won the game, and what they got was the unwelcome "treat" from Madame Imelda Marcos! ;D

bloodred
12-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Great thread! Quite entertaining.This is not urban legend but I think he deserves a mention because of his contributions as a player who donned the Philippine flag. Im sure youve heard of Danny Francisco. I watched him during the ABC under 18 here in Manila and with the smooth moves and elegant shots, he was dubbed as the next Ramon Fernandez. He held his own against taller counterparts and he was getting most of the playing time with Zandro Limpot as the reliever. He could have been a great player if it had not been for the heart illness.

Another one i have is an urban legend i think. As a gift for the great Billy Ray Bates for winning Crispa the championship, he was given a model (now a famous actress) to fornicate with for a night.

freak
01-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Another one i have is an urban legend i think. As a gift for the great Billy Ray Bates for winning Crispa the championship, he was given a model (now a famous actress) to fornicate with for a night.

now this one needs to be validated if it's true or not... lalo na na nasa pinas si Bates 8)

tsaka meron bang clue kung sino si model-turned-famous actress?

oca
01-07-2012, 01:24 PM

now this one needs to be validated if it's true or not... lalo na na nasa pinas si Bates 8)

tsaka meron bang clue kung sino si model-turned-famous actress?

Matatandaan ba ni Bates ang bawat isa sa mga babaeng iyon? Eh minsan nga 2 o 3 tatlo yan sa isang gabi. As if it mattered to him kung artista o model o gro ang babae. ;D

oca
01-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Sorry. double post.

Emon74
03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
I read a post on another site on a recent happenings on Bates here, maliban sa kakatangal niya bilang Patriots skills coach, he bring along a woman in his condo unit sa Katipunan to spend the night out, it turned out naloko si Bates iyon babae pala was a she-male. binugbog ata niya according to those who heard a commotion in his room sa condominium.

Kid Cubao
03-20-2012, 03:27 PM
^^ kaya nga po sya natanggal at pinaalis ng bansa ay dahil nambugbog ng tineyk-home.