PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore Players from the LSAL

shyboy
04-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Let's discuss here those past and present hardcore players who were stars in their own right with their stint/s in the LSAL.

If I remember correctly, Freche Ang, the ex-Purefoods player and ex-MBA cager, played a few years in the LSAL before transferring to Univ of St La Salle in Bacolod. I also recall Trompeta (can't remember his first name) and those two Ali Peek-types (one was a football player if I'm not mistaken) from Engineering (forgot which batch) in the late 80s who terrorized the whole league with their bull-strong inside game.

Rektikano
04-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Gee Abanilla was a star for FAST '84 in the LSAL. Hubert Webb too. Matt Makalintal, Oliver Agapito and Judge Primero were the go to guys of ABSDA. They went on to play for CSB.

Remember Dante Sapalo, the 6'5" guy who was part of the middle '80s' team B? Well, he was the star then of the LSAL during his time playing for B & E.. I think he played with another big guy named Birmingham who stands about 6'3" - 6'4". They former the twin towers for B & E then..

Then there were the Tiong Lian Guys like Vince Lizo and Alex Co who were also part of the Archers' training teams in the early '90s..

shyboy
04-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Yup, Makalintal was shifty and was a cut above the rest among the guards. Ayun! I've been trying to remember Lizo's name the past few days. Not intending to insult the guy, but wasn't Lizo the "banlag" guy? He looks unassuming pero ang lakas pala maglaro.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-19-2006, 08:46 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Alvin Castro played for LSAL before making waves in the UAAP.

MonL
04-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Gee Abanilla was a star for FAST '84 in the LSAL. Hubert Webb too. Matt Makalintal, Oliver Agapito and Judge Primero were the go to guys of ABSDA. They went on to play for CSB.

Remember Dante Sapalo, the 6'5" guy who was part of the middle '80s'* team B? Well, he was the star then of the LSAL during his time playing for B & E.. I think he played with another big guy named Birmingham who stands about 6'3" - 6'4". They former the twin towers for B & E then..

Then there were the Tiong Lian Guys like Vince Lizo and Alex Co who were also part of the Archers' training teams in the early '90s..

I remember La Salle and San Beda playing exhibiton games against each other in the eighties, as we both were orphaned and not playing in any league. *I do remember Dante Sapalo and Roseller Miguel, who were Archer big men recruits after Yves Dignadice.... * These guys went head to head against the Red Lions who were then led by future PBA player Joel Santos... * what happened to these guys?

Rektikano
04-19-2006, 02:20 PM
^^^^

Not sure what happened to Sapalo and Miguel but I guess they just concentrated on their studies. Many were wondering why Sapalo didn't make the Archers' lineup though.

Another big guy recruit in the middle 80s was 6'5" Toby Poblador. He got to play with Franz and Dindo Pumaren, Alfie Almario, Tonichi Yturri and even Joey Sta. Maria, Dickie Bachmann and Jayvee Gayoso. I think he got to taste some championships particularly the PICUAA....

bombet
04-22-2006, 04:39 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Alvin Castro played for LSAL before making waves in the UAAP.

How many years did Alvin castro play in the UAAP? 1998-2000?

Rektikano
04-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Alvin Castro played from 1998-2000. He served his residency in 1997.

bombet
04-24-2006, 02:09 AM
^^^^

Not sure what happened to Sapalo and Miguel but I guess they just concentrated on their studies. Many were wondering why Sapalo didn't make the Archers' lineup though.

Another big guy recruit in the middle 80s was 6'5" Toby Poblador. He got to play with Franz and Dindo Pumaren, Alfie Almario, Tonichi Yturri and even Joey Sta. Maria, Dickie Bachmann and Jayvee Gayoso. I think he got to taste some championships particularly the PICUAA....

I read in one of the threads that Franz Pumaren played in the last NCAA team of La Salle and its first UAAP team of La Salle. Is that true? Were Dindo and Frans teammates at La Salle in the UAAP?

Rektikano
04-24-2006, 03:07 PM
^^^

Yup. Franz played in the last NCAA team in 1980 and served his last year of collegiate eligibility in 1986 in the UAAP. Franz and Dindo could've played together in 1986 but Dindo skipped the UAAP to concentrate on the national team. He was chosen for the 1986 ASIAN games team that year in which the Philippines placed third. The 2 of them got to play together though in the PABL and other minor leagues. In the PABL, LaSalle participated as a school team.

salsa caballero
04-24-2006, 03:26 PM
I think he played with another big guy named Birmingham who stands about 6'3" - 6'4". They former the twin towers for B & E then.

-That was probably James Birmingham, star center of Xavier School in the mid-80's. One wonders why he didn't play for the Green Archers varsity. (He stands closer to 6'2 if I remember right, although a muscular 6'2.)

bombet
04-24-2006, 11:27 PM
^^^

Yup. Franz played in the last NCAA team in 1980 and served his last year of collegiate eligibility in 1986 in the UAAP. Franz and Dindo could've played together in 1986 but Dindo skipped the UAAP to concentrate on the national team. He was chosen for the 1986 ASIAN games team that year in which the Philippines placed third. The 2 of them got to play together though in the PABL and other minor leagues. In the PABL, LaSalle participated as a school team.

Who were the notable players in the 1986 UAAP seniors team? I don't think Jayvee Gayoso got to play with the team.

Rektikano
04-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Some of the members of the 1986 green archers :

Franz Pumaren, Eddie Viaplana, Teddy Monasterio, Dickie Bachmann, Joey Santamaria, Rafa Dinglasan, Mike Huang, Raymond Lacson, Gabby Velasco....

The team finished 4-10, winning only against Adamson twice and NU twice also.

Highlight of the season was the second round game against Ateneo wherein Franz Pumaren scored 41 points on 7 triples. LaSalle lost by 2 points I think when Dickie Bachmann trooped to the line with about 1 or 2 seconds left in the game and LaSalle triling by 2 points with the chance to tie on those 2 free throws. Dickie missed the first and that was it. Ateneo had 2 rookies from LSGH that year in Eric Reyes and Len Mumar. Jayvee Gayose just re-transferred to Ateneo and was serving his residency that year.

LaSalle improved to 5-9 in 1987 when they added defending champion UP to their victims list aside from Adamson and NU. This time around, Dindo Pumaren carried the torch for the archers scoring, unloading I think, 35 points in that UP game. If I'm not mistaken, UP played with Ronnie Magsanoc and Benjie Paras in that game. It is significant to mention that because the 2 UP stars were off and on for UP in 1987 due to their committment with the national team.