PDA

View Full Version : What ifs and What could have beens?

Gil_Andrews
04-10-2006, 08:25 PM
What if ......... JR Reyes didn't go to UP and decided to pursue his studies in Ateneo? What do you hardcore hoopers think could have been?

What if........M. Holper said yes to Ateneo back in 1999?

What if....... Artadi didn't leave La Salle for UE?

What if.......Hubalde didn't leave La Salle for UST?

What if BJ Manalo stayed in Ateneo?

What do you guys think could have been?

BLUE HORSE
04-11-2006, 04:00 AM
What if ......... JR Reyes didn't go to UP and decided to pursue his studies in Ateneo? What do you hardcore hoopers think could have been?

What if........M. Holper said yes to Ateneo back in 1999?

What if....... Artadi didn't leave La Salle for UE?

What if.......Hubalde didn't leave La Salle for UST?

What if BJ Manalo stayed in Ateneo?

What do you guys think could have been?

Reyes would have been the headache of Ateneo.* Probably help the team to 1 championship before falling prey to the QPI police.

If Artadi stayed at LaSalle, t@ng probably signs with Ateneo.

Hubalde would have been another Arana, 3 school years with only a handful of credit hours.* If you gauge his academic achievements base on his entrance test, he may not last up to his junior year.

The triumvirate of Manalo, Gonzales and Villanueva would have won at least 2 championships.* The biggest hole for Ateneo was the point guard position and who would break the press.

Sorry, I do not know the game of Michael Holper.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-11-2006, 07:46 AM
I'll speak through basketball perspectives here.

If JR Reyes went to Ateneo, tingin ko maganda combination nila ni Intal, plus adding Japeth to Ateneo's roster, that would have a tall 3-4-5 combo that when Ateneo puts up a 2-3 zone defense, ewan ko lang kung may makapasok pa nun sa loob.

Holper will be a good help as well for Ateneo if he played for them back in 1999. Di ko alam kung sino mawawalan ng pwesto or at least playing time in the Blue Eagle lineup. Saka he can be a tall defender for the likes of Cyrus Baguio and Niņo Gelig.

If Artadi didn't leave DLSU, baka nabangko lang siya sa team, wala kasing outside shooting, wala ring free throw shooting. I don't know, maybe baka binitawan lang din siya ng team after 1-2 seasons.

If Hubalde played for DLSU, he'll be a good addition because I have to admit, he was a good player back in college. A solid 2 guard pero di ko lang alam if he'll blend with Yeo in the same spot. Malamang nahirapan ang UST lalo during those 1999-present stretch since as we all know, Hubalde carried UST for some seasons.

If BJ Manalo played in Ateneo, Ateneo would have won championships as well since his familiarity with Enrico, Wes, Bugia, and even Larry would have taken the Eagles a step higher than their rivals during their time.

MonL
04-11-2006, 08:16 AM
San Beda would have won three championships in the 90s had Rommel Adducul played for the Red Lions. Guaranteed.

LION
04-11-2006, 08:35 AM
^ Yup. Blast those men in blue.

LION
04-11-2006, 09:02 AM
What if San Beda did not take a leave of absence in the early 80's which forced the likes of Paras, Magsanoc, Altamirano, Salvaterra, Dindo Pumaren, Esplana, Joey Loyzaga, Celis, etc. to leave the den and move to UAAP schools?

Ilang championships din sana ang nakuha natin dun?

What if Samboy Lim was given a slot in the Red Cubs?

What if Renren Ritualo, Toti Almeda, LA Tenorio, Magnum Membrere, Mike Baldos, Ford Arao, Jon Tabuique, JV Casio, Cris Calaquio, Tyrone Bautista, Jolly Escobar, Jonas Villanueva stayed with us?

Fellow Bedans, kung nangyari lang sana ang mga what ifs na yan, tayo sana ang pinakamaraming trophies sa buong NCAA, isama mo pa ang UAAP.

redlion123
04-11-2006, 11:04 AM
esplana played for the lions in 86 before tranfering to feu.
joey loyzaga got kickout
samboy? sayang siya..earth to ATO?

for me greatest what if are...

what if pinapasok ng guard si ADDucul sa BEDA?
what if si VICTOR PABLO tinangap sa try out

Rektikano
04-11-2006, 11:41 AM
What if San Beda did not take a leave of absence in the early 80's which forced the likes of Paras, Magsanoc, Altamirano, Salvaterra, Dindo Pumaren, Esplana, Joey Loyzaga, Celis, etc. to leave the den and move to UAAP schools?

What if Renren Ritualo, Toti Almeda, LA Tenorio, Magnum Membrere, Mike Baldos, Ford Arao, Jon Tabuique, JV Casio, Cris Calaquio, Tyrone Bautista, Jolly Escobar, Jonas Villanueva stayed with us?

Fellow Bedans, kung nangyari lang sana ang mga what ifs na yan, tayo sana ang pinakamaraming trophies sa buong NCAA, isama mo pa ang UAAP.

I think Dindo Pumaren would have transferred to LaSalle nevertheless. His 2 brothers were already in LaSalle.

LION
04-11-2006, 11:57 AM
^ Unfortunately, we'll never know.

pulang leon
04-11-2006, 01:00 PM

Ilang championships din sana ang nakuha natin dun?*

Fellow Bedans, kung nangyari lang sana ang mga what ifs na yan, tayo sana ang pinakamaraming trophies sa buong NCAA, isama mo pa ang UAAP.*

I think Dindo Pumaren would have transferred to LaSalle nevertheless. His 2 brothers were already in LaSalle.

LOL.. yeah right! Then why didn't he go straight to La Salle in the first place? Dindo was the best player among the brothers... but not surprisingly... Dindo, with the list of the best players above, has one strong similarity... they were all trained in one school... San Beda. Dindo moving to La Salle not because San Beda filed a leave of absence? but because his "Kuyas" are there? hahahahaha!!! Dindo was a bedan first, not a lasallite or a lasallian.

Keep in mind that Dindo came from San Beda.. going to La Salle-Taft... not La Salle Greenhills, Benilde, Cavite, Zoberl, etc. to La Salle-Taft... meaning he was trained strong and independent... talagang bedista... but you were probably thinking of him as a lasallite already... if you were, then I can see why a lasallite would simply join a team or be with a team where his brothers are... so you're right, if Dindo were coming from just another La Salle school as a regular lasallite... it is possible for him to have a lasallian attitude like "Kuya, huwag niyo ako iwan dito, sali din ako sa inyo... gusto ko rin maging senior lasallite.." LOL.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Kung hindi nag-LOA ang Beda, mas magkakaroon lang siguro ng options si Dindo. But it won't give a guarantee that he will end up in DLSU or in SBC.

LION
04-11-2006, 04:03 PM
^ Keep your cool guys. As I have said, we will never know. I guess that sums it all.

Rektikano
04-12-2006, 02:01 PM

LOL.. yeah right! Then why didn't he go straight to La Salle in the first place? Dindo was the best player among the brothers... but not surprisingly... Dindo, with the list of the best players above, has one strong similarity... they were all trained in one school... San Beda. Dindo moving to La Salle not because San Beda filed a leave of absence? but because his "Kuyas" are there? hahahahaha!!! Dindo was a bedan first, not a lasallite or a lasallian.

Keep in mind that Dindo came from San Beda.. going to La Salle-Taft... not La Salle Greenhills, Benilde, Cavite, Zoberl, etc. to La Salle-Taft... meaning he was trained strong and independent... talagang bedista... but you were probably thinking of him as a lasallite already... if you were, then I can see why a lasallite would simply join a team or be with a team where his brothers are... so you're right, if Dindo were coming from just another La Salle school as a regular lasallite... it is possible for him to have a lasallian attitude like "Kuya, huwag niyo ako iwan dito, sali din ako sa inyo... gusto ko rin maging senior lasallite.." LOL.

Easy ka lang. Masyado kang hot. Wala namang umaangkin kay Dindo eh. If Dindo wanted to be known as a bedan forever, by all means. Wala namang problema sa aming LaSalista yan eh.

Kaya ko rin nasabi na he would've gone to LaSalle, nevertheless, was because at that time Derick Pumaren was already head coach of LaSalle and his father was LaSalle's former women's coach in the WNCAA. For sure, Derick would've recruited Dindo. And with Franz already there, there was a strong possiblity, that Dindo would've gone to LaSalle, na nangyari nga. By the way, when Dindo went to LaSalle, LaSalle also didn't have a league yet as our application with the UAAP was still pending. That's why it bolsters my belief that LaSalle didn't have a hard time recruiting Dindo because his brothers were there already.

I'm not forcing you to accept what I'm saying. Kung ayaw mong paniwalaan, walang problema.

We are all loyal to our alma maters. Just put your loyalty in the proper perspective.

Perhaps LION is correct. We will never know. Now, you happy with that?

LION
04-12-2006, 03:57 PM
This week is holy.

freak
04-14-2006, 03:48 AM

if this happend.. Beda would be the most feared school in any league..
their bench players would be better than most of the teams' starting fives..

sayang... oh well..

yungha
04-18-2006, 10:16 AM
what if ryan pamintuan and wes played in 2001? remember that in the finals, sharma killed us in the paint because rich had to cover ritualo at the perimeter.

what if Ateneo didn't lose the 2nd round games to UP in 04 and UST in 05, thereby insuring a twice-to-beat advantage versus la salle in those years' final four matchups? would the twice-to-beat advantage have made any difference for ateneo, or would they have yielded to la salle any which way?

pio_valenz
04-20-2006, 09:16 PM
What if Eric Altamirano and Duane Salvaterra had still played for UP in 1987, when the Maroons were the defending champs? Both were still eligible, but Altamirano had a falling out with new UP coach Mon Bernabe, while Salvaterra had academic deficiencies.

MonL
04-21-2006, 07:44 AM
What if Eric Altamirano and Duane Salvaterra had still played for UP in 1987, when the Maroons were the defending champs? Both were still eligible, but Altamirano had a falling out with new UP coach Mon Bernabe, while Salvaterra had academic deficiencies.

Paras also missed some games due to national team commitments, and NU even pulled an upset over the defending champs, if I remember right...

skywalker
04-21-2006, 10:53 AM
What if Limpot played for UM Hawks after playing for the Hawklets?
What if Cardel didn't transfer to DLSU from SSC -R?
What if San Beda didn't take a leave of absence for a few years in the NCAA? and
What if Allan Caidic did transfer to Letran (it did not materialized coz Letran does not offer Engiineering course) as reported in Sport Weekly Magazine in the early 80"s.

glowing_goldie
04-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Ito sana ang maganda, What if Rene Hawkins stayed at UST for his collegiate years instead of transferring sa PHCR Altas. Lakas sana nila with Favis, Palad, Jose, Babilonia, Tomacruz sa line up baka nag champion siguro. Sayang!

Joescoundrel
04-24-2006, 03:33 PM
IF BJ Manalo had stayed on at Ateneo we could have easily won at least two championships, although not necessarily back-to-back, during his tenure. Of course we might also surmise that had this happened Larry would not have developed into the player he is now, because he would have deferred to Manalo a lot and gotten used to playing one of the deepest reserves in the UAAP.

Had Ryan Pamintuan been around in the 2001 Finals we would've won that for sure. Pamintuan's toughness was his greatest asset as a college baller, something we could've used more of in 2001, especially against a veteran Lasalle squad. This would have also allowed Rich to play the 3 spot and use his athleticism to patrol the perimeter. With or without Wesley, as long as Ryan was there, things would've turned out different.

How about this for a What If... What if Alex Araneta and Jay Gayoso had played in the 1989 Season even if Danny Francisco were out with his heart condition? Could Ateneo have gotten a 3-Peat?

bombet
04-26-2006, 02:45 AM

What was the reason why San Beda took a leave of absence? That's the reason why Paras didn't win any NCAA juniors crown as a Red Cub. Sayang, he won an MMBL title and runner-up at the Inter-Secondary Championships.

bombet
04-26-2006, 02:47 AM
IF BJ Manalo had stayed on at Ateneo we could have easily won at least two championships, although not necessarily back-to-back, during his tenure. Of course we might also surmise that had this happened Larry would not have developed into the player he is now, because he would have deferred to Manalo a lot and gotten used to playing one of the deepest reserves in the UAAP.

Had Ryan Pamintuan been around in the 2001 Finals we would've won that for sure. Pamintuan's toughness was his greatest asset as a college baller, something we could've used more of in 2001, especially against a veteran Lasalle squad. This would have also allowed Rich to play the 3 spot and use his athleticism to patrol the perimeter. With or without Wesley, as long as Ryan was there, things would've turned out different.

How about this for a What If... What if Alex Araneta and Jay Gayoso had played in the 1989 Season even if Danny Francisco were out with his heart condition? Could Ateneo have gotten a 3-Peat?

I was able to watch Pamintuan in the PBL. I don't think he was the same player in the juniors when he played in the seniors team. He was more of a defensive player, limited offensive skills. He was like a Sonny tadeo at best.

oca
04-26-2006, 08:22 AM

Ilang championships din sana ang nakuha natin dun?*

Fellow Bedans, kung nangyari lang sana ang mga what ifs na yan, tayo sana ang pinakamaraming trophies sa buong NCAA, isama mo pa ang UAAP.*

What was the reason why San Beda took a leave of absence? That's the reason why Paras didn't win any NCAA juniors crown as a Red Cub. Sayang, he won an MMBL title and runner-up at the Inter-Secondary Championships.

In his final year as a Red Cub, Paras came up short in leading San Beda to the National title against a team from Cebu ( Kung di ako nagkakamali it was Cebu Central Colleges who beat them led by another power player surnamed Dumdum.) But the 2 years prior to the setback, San Beda with Paras at center had won the same National C'ship twice.

They were going for a 3-peat during Benjie's senior year as a Cub.

keempee
04-26-2006, 02:34 PM
during his final year, san beda was beaten by la salle greenhills in the mmbl finals. la salle was led by eric reyes, joey guanio and ricky henson.

kryptonite
04-27-2006, 02:12 AM
during his final year, san beda was beaten by la salle greenhills in the mmbl finals. la salle was led by eric reyes, joey guanio and ricky henson.

I think LSGH defeated San Beda in the National Inter-secondary championships, and San Beda defeated LSGH in the MMBL finals in Benje Paras' final year as a Red Cub. I think it was in 1986. By the way why did they took a 3-yr LOA in the NCAA?

keempee
04-27-2006, 03:46 AM
^

ah ok, i stand corrected. wasnt really sure of the tournament, basta was certain lang that lsgh had an upset win in the finals over beda. i assumed it was the mmbl as oca said that cebu central won the national intersecondary that schoolyear (85-86).

kryptonite
04-27-2006, 03:50 AM
^

ah ok, i stand corrected. wasnt really sure of the tournament, basta was certain lang that lsgh had an upset win in the finals over beda. i assumed it was the mmbl as oca said that cebu central won the national intersecondary that schoolyear (85-86).

What was the reason why the Red Cubs took a leave of absence in the mid-80s?

LION
04-27-2006, 07:28 AM
^ San Beda took a leave of absence because of the violence and hooliganism that pervaded the NCAA at that time. Same reason why Ateneo and La Salle bolted the NCAA for the UAAP. This LOA practically killed one of the best collegiate sports program at that time.

When San Beda re-joined the league after a few years, the school found itself lacking in good players and recruitment was very hard because it did not allocate enough funds nor did it provide full scholarship for the players. Even support from the alumni was missing. Thus, the school had to recruit the tall commercial models who were enrolled at that time. This is the reason why celebrities like Randy Salvino, Calvin Millado, Macky de Joya, et. al. got to play for San Beda in the late 80's. I am not sure if Dante Buerano, a.k.a. as Dante Ponce, played for the team as well.

The team in the late 80's was admittedly mediocre. Pero yun ang talagang mga student-athletes. Whilst the team found itself at the bottom of the standings, it was however the most popular as far as the girls were concerned. Aba e kahit tinambakan na ng kalaban ang San Beda ng 30 points at last 2 minutes na lang natitira sa game e sige pa rin sa kaka cheer ang mga babae. Take note that San Beda at that time was still exclusive for boys.

bchoter
04-30-2006, 12:50 AM
What if a certain team official of the UST juniors team didn't get in the bad side of the school officials (due to unsavory rumors) and didn't bolt to Adamson bringing along with him the schools top Juniors players and projected future of their basketball program including Marlou Aquino, Segundo dela Cruz, Jovani Pineda, Hipolito, and, after a year, EJ Feihl?

UST would have been suspended for a year and Kenneth Duremdez may have won a UAAP crown before turning pro.

Ghostrider
05-02-2006, 02:34 PM
^ :D at least that ex-UST team official stands FIRMLY behind his man! ;)

Kahit ngayong manager na lang siya, puro controversy ang nangyayari sa mga alaga niya from a UAAP school and a top draftee in the PBA. Di . . . na natuto.

Kid Cubao
05-02-2006, 03:56 PM
bchoter, yan ba si CD?

pio_valenz
05-02-2006, 04:47 PM

Paras also missed some games due to national team commitments, and NU even pulled an upset over the defending champs, if I remember right...

Not only Paras, but Magsanoc, Guanio and Coach Mon Bernabe also missed some games. UP fnished the season third with a 9-5 record, just one game behind UE, yet the Maroons had a depleted line-up in three of those losses (yes, including that shocker to NU). But if Altamirano and Salvaterra had been there to man the fort while the national players were away...

kryptonite
05-02-2006, 10:39 PM

Not only Paras, but Magsanoc, Guanio and Coach Mon Bernabe also missed some games. UP fnished the season third with a 9-5 record, just one game behind UE, yet the Maroons had a depleted line-up in three of those losses (yes, including that shocker to NU). But if Altamirano and Salvaterra had been there to man the fort while the national players were away...

Ateneo was the elimination round topnotcher. Was Gilbert Reyes (Ateneo) the MVP of the 1987 season?

bchoter
05-06-2006, 12:59 AM
bchoter, yan ba si CD?
Sabi nila si CD nga daw. AyCDc nga daw.

admuhs_upengg
05-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Ateneo was the elimination round topnotcher. Was Gilbert Reyes (Ateneo) the MVP of the 1987 season?

They lost their opening game against UP, just barely, and then swept their 13 remaining games and the first game of the "twice to beat". Don't think Jun was the MVP though.

tigerman
12-11-2008, 09:00 PM
What if Gilbert Lao converted all of his freethrows in the crucial moments in game 3 of the 1999 finals?

The USTphobia of La Salle would've stayed and consequently, no 4-peat from the green and white.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

jieun17
01-07-2009, 04:47 PM

what if olsen racela went to UP than to Atneneo, he had his try-outs as fighting maroon... ???