PDA

View Full Version : Favorite DLSU basketball game moments/events

bigfreeze_bibby
04-05-2006, 11:56 AM
I think I have to start by sharing that my favorite basketball moment for DLSU was when Aldeguer made that trey in the closing seconds of their game 3 championship game back in 1999. UST gallery was already making a countdown expecting that they would win the championship (I had to say that UST played good defensively in that sequence since Aldeguer's shot was also challenged) until Dino made that trey which created a pandemonium inside Cuneta Astrodome.

It would have been better if Dino was able to connect the bonus free throw since it was a four point play but unfortunately he missed the attempt. Dino fouled out in the OT, but Renren and Don Allado were just simply unstoppable in the extra session lifting up DLSU's 2nd of 4th string of championships during the late 90's and exorcising the ghost of the bridesmaid finishes against UST in the mid-90's.

One more thing, I accidentally punched a guy while celebrating inside Cuneta since we were situated in the bleachers section hehe. When I lifted up my fist, I accidentally hit the eyeglass of the guy beside me creating a wound in between his eyes. Buti na lang and DLSU fan din siya because I don't know what would happen if I hit a UST fan during that moment.

I've shared mine, hope the others will follow and share their favorite game winning and unforgettable DLSU basketball moment.

bchoter
04-05-2006, 12:04 PM
^ One of my worst moments, actually. If only Gilbert LaO hit both his free throws then that trey would have been moot.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-05-2006, 01:16 PM
^ One of my worst moments, actually. If only Gilbert LaO hit both his free throws then that trey would have been moot.

That was the reason why we love Gilbert LaO hehe. I can't recall how many free throws he missed in that crucial 4th quarter stretch. UST went even by 10 midway 4th quarter via Derrick Hubalde's trey.

admuhs_upengg
04-05-2006, 01:52 PM
That Aldeguer shot was great, my die-hard La Salliian wife who had just had a C-section almost jumped out of her bed at Cardinal Santos. This is matched by JV Casios trey against FEU.

I may be an Atenean but I appreciate great clutch plays.

bchoter
04-05-2006, 02:06 PM
^ Ako din I appreciate clutch plays. But not against my team :D.

So bilang ganti... my favorite La Salle moment is the Henry Ong shot and the ____ (can't recall the player) miss. :D

green_minded
04-05-2006, 03:40 PM
^ Ako din I appreciate clutch plays. But not against my team :D.

So bilang ganti... my favorite La Salle moment is the Henry Ong shot and the ____ (can't recall the player) miss. :D

I believe you're talking about the Lago miss. ;D

shyboy
04-05-2006, 09:48 PM
^ Mark Telan's easy follow up attempt off that Lago miss went kaput as well. Aray!

Lucas Palaka
04-06-2006, 10:25 AM
gaya ni bigfreeze, my favorite la salle basketball moment was the time dino aldeguer scored that three pointer that put the game vs UST in overtime. i was out in dencio's watching the game with my friend, a zobelian like aldeguer, and when the ball swished through the hoop, the whole place erupted. didn't know i was surrounded by a bunch of la salle diehards :) they're a great crowd, though.

Rektikano
04-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Well since the 1999 thing has been mentioned, The 1997 ousting of UST in the final 4 was also a great moment for LaSalle basketball in the UAAP.

LaSalle lost their last game in the elims to, ironically, UST by 12 points which negated them to the 3rd spot and a twice to win disadvantage. Had LaSalle lost by "only" 7 points or less, LaSalle would have gotten the 2nd spot and a twice to beat advantage. FEU was the #1 seed that year.

LaSalle played with fire in the first game with Mark Telan unloading 30 points to lead the Archers to a 10 point win. The second game was a classic. Telan was held to only 7 points but he played decoy the whole game. LaSalle was trailing by 7 points with 2 minutes and 33 seconds to go in regulation when Don Allado completed a 3 point play. Some more plays ensued and with about a few seconds to go, and LaSalle down by 2 points, Dino Aldeguer drove the length of the court and dished to Mark Telan for the bank shot as the buzzer sounded. Overtime!

LaSalle held on in overtime with Dino Aldeguer anchoring the LaSalle offense. The impossible was done. The 4 time champions had been dethroned.

Since then, UST has never won a playoff series against LaSalle.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Back to 1997 din, I remember there was one game wherein we faced NU and we were having a hard time beating them during that game (kung hindi ako nagkakamali it was in Ninoy Aquino Stadium). Renren made that spectacular in your face layup against 2 time PBA MVP Danny Ildefonso. I never thought that Renren could make that attempt since I knew that the towering Danny I. was there to block the shot and La Salle won the game in regulation via that buzzer beater shot of Renren.

Rektikano
04-07-2006, 10:57 AM
^^^^

Correct. It was in Ninoy. LaSalle was trailing by 1 point with only a few seconds left. RenRen, instead of taking his signature jumper, drove the left flank and and layed it up under the arms of Danny I. It was Dino Aldeguer who made the pass to RenRen. After the game, coach Jong was quoted in saying that Dino knew who to pass the ball to for the last shot of the game. There was senior Mark Telan but Dino passed it to freshman RenRen who delivered the winning basket. Shades of things to come for LaSalle basketball, really.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Eto isa pa, during this past UAAP season, the game against UE which was nullified and went into a rematch. Most of us in BEG were walang gana na after Arellano made that steal off Mark Benitez to put UE up by 2 points. 1st option play was to go a long court heave and then put it to JV Casio's hands. Fortunately, the ball was tapped out by UE, so it is still DLSU ball. DLSU made a perfect baseline play which saw Cholo wide open under the basket to put the game tying layup and forcing the game to OT.

In OT DLSU controlled the game and eventually won the game pero the next day it was a bad day since UE filed for protest and come Saturday (DLSU's game vs UP), the technical committee favored for a rematch between the two schools.

bchoter
04-07-2006, 03:18 PM
JV Casio should figure in some DLSU moments

Rektikano
04-08-2006, 11:46 AM
^^^^

Yup. Of course the 2004 championship game comes to mind. But he had another game winner that year. It was against UP in the first round. LaSalle was trailing by 1 point with under a minute left. Suddenly there was an open court situation. JV drove, stopped, spun which made Jino Ferrer bit into the move as he was faked off and made the fade away shot for a 1 point LaSalle lead. UP still had 1 shot for the win with about 10 seconds to go. The ball was delivered to Nestor David who posted up Jerwin Gaco and backed his way to the basket. As he turned to take the shot, JunJun Cabatu came "flying" as he blocked the shot and preserving LaSalle's 1 point win.

Another shining moment for Jayvee Casio.

shyboy
04-09-2006, 02:00 AM
Who could ever forget that slam dunk of Mike Cortez during a fastbreak sequence in Game 2 of the UAAP 2002 Finals against Ateneo? Pure quickness pushed Cortez ahead of the pack but instead of just simply going for a layup, the Cool Cat took off like no one has ever seen him before and made a tomahawk slamma jamma!!! Everybody went wild inside the Araneta (well at least at the green side of the coliseum) and one can see the astonishment of those on the blue side. Sarap!

bigfreeze_bibby
04-09-2006, 06:46 AM
Eto ata yung nalagay sa poster si Sonny Tadeo kung di ako nagkakamali.

Lucas Palaka
04-09-2006, 04:30 PM
sonny tadeo was posterized in that dunk, bigfreeze :) the most spectacular dunk i've seen in the UAAP.

bchoter
04-09-2006, 04:38 PM
sonny tadeo was posterized in that dunk, bigfreeze :) the most spectacular dunk i've seen in the UAAP.
The impact of the dunk made it more spectacular but for aesthetics alone I will rank Bagiuo's follow up dunk off a fastbreak miss higher. Ironically, that game featured another La Salle moment as they fought back from a 20-something-point deficit to win the game.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-10-2006, 09:08 AM
The impact of the dunk made it more spectacular but for aesthetics alone I will rank Bagiuo's follow up dunk off a fastbreak miss higher. Ironically, that game featured another La Salle moment as they fought back from a 20-something-point deficit to win the game.

Yes, bchoter, this was way back 2002, Mike Cortez exploded in the 4th quarter along with Yeo to rally the Archers back from 20 points down. Puro tres ang binitawan ni Cortez which mostly came from half court set plays. This may be off topic but I will rate Baguio's dunk higher in the 1999 game 3 finals where he did a reverse dunk during a fast break play. Mas matindi yun.

GHRanger
06-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Some of my favorite moments in UAAP:
1. Last few seconds of the last game 1998 championship series.* It was total pandemonium.
2. Dino Aldeguer's 3 point shot at 2.7 seconds to go in 1999.
3. The miss by Denok Miranda and Mac's rebound in the 2004 Championships.
4. The last minute going into the last game of the ADMU-DLSU Finals 2001.
5. Adi Papa snaring the rebound twice in a row from all taller players in the court in the 1991? Finals.
6. JV Casio's Three pointers during the DLSU-FEU games.
7. All my office colleagues missing in action from the office then showing up at the local bar or Araneta.* ( :) It helps to have a DLSU alumni as your CEO.)

shyboy
06-09-2006, 02:08 PM
3. The miss by Arwind Santos and Mac's rebound in the 2004 Championships.

It was Denok Miranda who missed the easy layup.

GHRanger
06-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Oops my bad. I stand corrected.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Some of my favorite moments in UAAP:
1. Last few seconds of the last game 1998 championship series.* It was total pandemonium.

Yeah especially that moment wherein Renren stole the inbounds pass then was fouled on his attempt for a lay-up. Calijohn Ofrecio then started to jump up and down the court knowing that the game is all over. One of the nice moments also in 1998 when Dino threw the ball to the stands at the sound of the buzzer erupting the DLSU Araneta crowd. Since Araneta wasn't renovated back then, the people from Upper A or B (I am so sure about this) can easily go their way down to the center court.

shyboy, Arwind was able to make an attempt for tip-in before Cardona finally grabbed the rebound to seal the win for the Archers in that game which includes the jiggy of Macmac in front of Flores (the pesky guard of FEU).

shyboy
06-09-2006, 03:59 PM
shyboy, Arwind was able to make an attempt for tip-in before Cardona finally grabbed the rebound to seal the win for the Archers in that game which includes the jiggy of Macmac in front of Flores (the pesky guard of FEU).

Well yeah it was a Hail Mary tip-in try from Arwind off the rebound scuffle but it wasn't really much of a shot. Miranda's miss was more glaring and, uhm, memorable than the Arwind "attempt."

Rektikano
06-09-2006, 08:29 PM
^^^

But you know what Arwind can do with those tip ins. That's why Jerwin Gaco was missed sorely in 2005. In that last play of 2004, it was Jerwin who went up against Arwind, allowing MacMac to grab the final rebound. In the first game of the 2005 finals, Arwind was able to tip in 2 shots in the waning seconds of the game which broke our backs.

shyboy
06-09-2006, 09:11 PM
^^^

But you know what Arwind can do with those tip ins. That's why Jerwin Gaco was missed sorely in 2005. In that last play of 2004, it was Jerwin who went up against Arwind, allowing MacMac to grab the final rebound. In the first game of the 2005 finals, Arwind was able to tip in 2 shots in the waning seconds of the game which broke our backs.

I have to agree. A tall and agile Jerwin made it difficult for Arwind to make a tip-in compared to when a smaller guy (Ryan Arana?) was shadowing him in 2005. He made those tip-ins using both hands while coming from the outside, ergo, no one boxed him out.

BurlyMan
06-10-2006, 06:07 AM
1998, the first of four champiosnhips, I never forgot Game 1 of the finals. Prior to the game, the UAAP Awards were given out, Don Allado was named MVP. He accepted the award wearing his knee high socks and a scowl on his face. I knew that La Salle was going to win the championship at that point.

After winning the championship, Allado sat on one of the rims, reminiscent of another La Salle Moment. Those moments stay with you forever.

animo_92
06-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Well since the 1999 thing has been mentioned, The 1997 ousting of UST in the final 4 was also a great moment for LaSalle basketball in the UAAP.

LaSalle lost their last game in the elims to, ironically, UST by 12 points which negated them to the 3rd spot and a twice to win disadvantage. Had LaSalle lost by "only" 7 points or less, LaSalle would have gotten the 2nd spot and a twice to beat advantage. FEU was the #1 seed that year.

LaSalle played with fire in the first game with Mark Telan unloading 30 points to lead the Archers to a 10 point win. The second game was a classic. Telan was held to only 7 points but he played decoy the whole game. LaSalle was trailing by 7 points with 2 minutes and 33 seconds to go in regulation when Don Allado completed a 3 point play. Some more plays ensued and with about a few seconds to go, and LaSalle down by 2 points, Dino Aldeguer drove the length of the court and dished to Mark Telan for the bank shot as the buzzer sounded. Overtime!

LaSalle held on in overtime with Dino Aldeguer anchoring the LaSalle offense. The impossible was done. The 4 time champions had been dethroned.

Since then, UST has never won a playoff series against LaSalle.

grabe, i remember graduation namin nun. we were getting our updates from no less than mang jack! siya lang kasi ang may beeper nung time na yun and hindi pa uso ang mga text messages noon. so minute by minute, he was updating us... 2 ang lamang ng ust 2 minutes to go... kinakabahan na talaga kami... hanggang sa sabihin ni mang jack, overtime! woohoo!!! and finally, binalita niya sa amin na nanalo na nga daw ang la salle by 2 pts in overtime! at in-announce pa talaga siya before teh graduation rites ended, hehehehe....

MaRz
10-16-2006, 01:43 AM
i think this is my first post.. hehe!

my memorable DLSU moment would be the half-court shot of Joseph Yeo against NU.. that was way back 2003 at BEG..

another memorable moment for me is only the dunk in Macmac Cardona's UAAP career.. it was against Ateneo, jump ball.. first possession goes to DLSU then Macmac dunked the ball.. i think it was only a tap ring pero what the heck.. haha!

speaking of dunks.. who could not forget Rico's alley-oop reverse dunk against Ateneo last 2005..

EngWalker
10-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Our 1st game in the 2000 UAAP. It was against Ateneo and their vaunted "Dream Team". 1st half saw Ateneo dominating the game. 2nd half saw them not being able to cross the half-court line because of our press anchored by Mike Cortez, Renren Ritualo, Mac Cuan and Mon Jose. Of course we won. It was Mike Cortez' rookie year.

Who could also forget Dino Aldeguer's 3-pt shot in the last 2.7secs of game 3 with UST leading by 3. It is by far the best UAAP game ever, notwithstanding this season's 2nd placer's game 1 1sec play. IMHO.

Also worth remembering is Mark Telan's layup shot in the waning secs of the final 4 match against UST in 1997 that enabled us to finally beat them in the playoffs and end their championship run. UST had the twice-to-beat advantage that year and we beat them in 2 games.

The dunk of Cortez against Tadeo, Maierhoffer against Kramer and the layups of Joseph Yeo and Ryan Arana against the "Pang-US NCAA Division 1 player" Japeth Aguilar are also worth remembering.

brian
10-17-2006, 12:29 AM
i think this is my first post.. hehe!

my memorable DLSU moment would be the half-court shot of Joseph Yeo against NU.. that was way back 2003 at BEG..

another memorable moment for me is only the dunk in Macmac Cardona's UAAP career.. it was against Ateneo, jump ball.. first possession goes to DLSU then Macmac dunked the ball.. i think it was only a tap ring pero what the heck.. haha!

speaking of dunks.. who could not forget Rico's alley-oop reverse dunk against Ateneo last 2005..

i do remember that halfcourt shot of yeo during that game against nu simply because there was a timeout called before dlsu's possesion...and nu's coach that time ( si rico perez ba yun) kept on reiterating to his boys " si yeo, si yeo ha bantayan iyo"...ayun si yeo ang nakashoot he he!

greatest dlsu moment ko was the dunk of cortez, aldeguer's 3 points shot against ust, jv's game winner against feu, and last but not least, uhhm arana's well, let's say dance of joy he he...

Rektikano
10-17-2006, 12:02 PM
May halfcourt shot ba si Joseph against NU in 2003? I can't seem to remember.. What I recall is the last second triple of Joseph that tied the game and sent the game into overtime. That was against NU inthe first round match in 2003. We were trailing by 3 with a few seconds left, Joseph had the ball, Manny Ramos gave him a nice pick and he launched from left quartercourt..it went in..pandemonium..overtime..Friolan Baguion went down with cramps in ot and we pulled of the win. MacMac Cardona was benched in that game because he was late for practice the day before with an inexcusable reason why he was late. In the second round, we went down hard against NU, losing by 20+ points, if I'm not mistaken.. For whatever reasons, we had a hard time playing NU in the early part of this decade..Froilan Baguion was a matchup problem for us even with Mike Cortez in our fold. Their shooters, Jeff Napa, Archen Cayabyab etc. were also posed problems for us..

In 1991, Macmac Cardona sank a backcourt to front court shot against NU at the end of the third quarter which brought the NU lead down to 10 at the end of the third quarter. I think this was the second round game that year. We lost that game by 3 points yata.. In the first round we beat them by about the same margin, if I'm not mistaken. We met them in the final 4 that year and being the neophytes in final 4 play that year, NU bowed to us by 18 or 20 points in that game.

blue scorpion
10-17-2006, 12:51 PM
In 1991, Macmac Cardona sank a backcourt to front court shot against NU at the end of the third quarter which brought the NU lead down to 10 at the end of the third quarter. I think this was the second round game that year. We lost that game by 3 points yata.. In the first round we beat them by about the same margin, if I'm not mistaken. We met them in the final 4 that year and being the neophytes in final 4 play that year, NU bowed to us by 18 or 20 points in that game.

Wala pa yata si Cardona noong 1991. I think that play happened in 2001 in Mac Cardona's first year sa UAAP.

bigfreeze_bibby
10-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Rek, it happened in 2001. Ginawang asintahan ni Renren si Bryan Tolentino nung final four game. I remember one event in the 4th quarter during that game wherein nakahabol na NU (I think mga 10 points na lang lamang nun) and then Renren played a fireman's role by sinking an in-your-face three ball off Bryan Tolentino sa harap pa ng NU bench nangyari. Tumingin pa si Renren sa bench ng NU while running back on defense. From that point on, di na ulit nagbigay ng threat ang NU during that game.

shyboy
10-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Uy, may dalawang umeepal dito. Two poor souls from purgatory who came back to life after their Team B's win last Sunday. Balik na lang kayo sa BEN niyo or sa PEX where stiffs like you truly belong.

EngWalker
10-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Pabayaan mo na. Konti lang kasi yung favorite ADMU basketball game moments nila kaya nakikisali na lang dito. :D

Go USTe!

EngWalker
10-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Favorite DLSU basketball game moment? For me, it must be the Ateneo's 25 pt win over La Salle in 1996. Who would ever think that a team from Ateneo's dark ages would massacre against a powerful La Salle team that was composed of superstars?

There's such a thing as "once in a blue moon".

bigfreeze_bibby
10-18-2006, 07:08 AM
People, this thread is all about DLSU basketball game moments, not Ateneo basketball moments. If you want to talk about these, go to BEN and post it there. You have your own forums to talk stuff like these.

LION
10-18-2006, 08:44 AM
^^^ What happened here? We are clueless.

Out_Of_The_Blue
10-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Who can argue that that is not my favorite DLSU basketball game? ;)

EngWalker
10-18-2006, 10:34 AM
This thread is a very good one until some people came out of the blue and started to mess around. Those people should be banned.

nel
10-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Just a friendly reminder - this is the La Salle section, and the topic is what's memorable for us greenies. Let's practice common courtesy here. If you want to post something just to make asar, you can do it in your section, not here.

bluebruiser90
10-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Can this be considered?

La Salle Greenhills' victory over the mighty San Beda Red Cubs of Benjie Paras, future Archer Teddy Monasterio and Jigs Mendoza in the National Inter-Secondary Championships during schoolyear '85-'86.* The Greenies had Eric Reyes, Joey Guanio and Ricky Henson.* It was memorable in the sense that everyone playing in the HS division that year already conceded that they will never see Paras lose in HS again before he played seniors ball. Well, he did lose and in his last game at that, breaking an almost three year winning streak for the Red Cubs. Paras, Mendoza and Guanio would later team up to help UP win its only UAAP Seniors crown as freshmen.

bigfreeze_bibby
10-18-2006, 07:17 PM
People, especially Ateneans (and other non-La Sallians), I expect those moments wherein we are in the losing end to be your favorite DLSU basketball moment/s but then remember that this is DLSU forum, we didn't put up this thread just to see again those "losing" moments. It is a thread wherein we, La Sallians, can remember and relieve glorious basketball events of various DLSU basketball teams.

This was the reason why I had to delete some posts here. Just like what I said in my previous post, you have all the freedom to post those things in your own respective school forums. Please be guided accordingly. Thanks.

blue scorpion
10-18-2006, 07:37 PM
People, especially Ateneans (and other non-La Sallians), I expect those moments wherein we are in the losing end to be your favorite DLSU basketball moment/s but then remember that this is DLSU forum, we didn't put up this thread just to see again those "losing" moments. It is a thread wherein we, La Sallians, can remember and relieve glorious basketball events of various DLSU basketball teams.

This was the reason why I had to delete some posts here. Just like what I said in my previous post, you have all the freedom to post those things in your own respective school forums. Please be guided accordingly. Thanks.

I do not mind you deleting my post. But, just be fair. You did not delete bchoter's post that his favorite DLSU basketball moment was the missed pointblank shot of Lago during the 1994 or 1995 Championships. (Look back at page 1 of this thread). But you deleted mine which was the 25 point win of Ateneo over La Salle during the 1996 season.

brian
10-18-2006, 08:26 PM

I do not mind you deleting my post. But, just be fair. You did not delete bchoter's post that his favorite DLSU basketball moment was the missed pointblank shot of Lago during the* 1994 or 1995 Championships. (Look back at page 1 of this thread). But you deleted mine which was the 25 point win of Ateneo over La Salle during the 1996 season.* *

imo, classic naman kasi ang games ng dlsu at uste during those times eh so worth mentioning...hindi naman classic yun game na tinutukoy mo, well,* classic para sa ateneo of course...but hey, fair is fair kaya may point ka, dapat siguro i delete din ang post ni bchoter...

but let us also be fair to this thread, hindi naman talaga dapat pinopost ang ateneo's greatest moments dito di ba? you could create your own thread in BEN to accomodate your victories over us......let's all be fair then and not always expect bigfreeze to clean up the mess..

you very well know how it is when we rub certain ateneo/la salle events in each others faces...so let us all set the operating word here as .."PREVENTIVE" ;D..nagiging pitik-bulag eh

animo la salle!

blue scorpion
10-18-2006, 09:39 PM
imo, classic naman kasi ang games ng dlsu at uste during those times eh so worth mentioning...hindi naman classic yun game na tinutukoy mo, well, classic para sa ateneo of course...but hey, fair is fair kaya may point ka, dapat siguro i delete din ang post ni bchoter...

but let us also be fair to this thread, hindi naman talaga dapat pinopost ang ateneo's greatest moments dito di ba? you could create your own thread in BEN to accomodate your victories over us......let's all be fair then and not always expect bigfreeze to clean up the mess..

you very well know how it is when we rub certain ateneo/la salle events in each others faces...so let us all set the operating word here as .."PREVENTIVE" ;D..nagiging pitik-bulag eh

animo la salle!

Something classic is what you want...If I said the two blocks of Fonacier over Cardona was my favorite DLSU moment (it was a classic moment), you guys would not delete it? But who judges if something is a classic? Hindi naman yata pwedeng bago magpost ang mga tao, tatanungin muna nila sa inyo kung classic ang isang moment. (Ikaw na mismo nagsabi na worth mentioning ang classic games.

To clear things up, I was given the impression that we can post stuff like that because nag-post si bchoter at pinabayaan niyo lang. We want fair rules sa basketball. Pangit naman kung sa isang basketball game, isang team pwede mag-backing ngunit sa kabila, bawal. O kaya, isang team may 30 sec shot clock at ang kabilang team. may 24 sec lang. Same thing here, bchoter posted something. I posted something. His post was not deleted while mine was. unless of course the posts of the gameface forums mods can not be deleted. If that is the case, then I understand.

I am not posting this to cause a fight. I am posting this so that these things would not repeat in the future. So peace. I apologize to the people who got offended by my post, but I do not apologize for posting that post. It was legal.

brian
10-18-2006, 10:05 PM
imo, classic naman kasi ang games ng dlsu at uste during those times eh so worth mentioning...hindi naman classic yun game na tinutukoy mo, well,* classic para sa ateneo of course...but hey, fair is fair kaya may point ka, dapat siguro i delete din ang post ni bchoter...

you very well know how it is when we rub certain ateneo/la salle events in each others faces...so let us all set the operating word here as .."PREVENTIVE"* ;D..nagiging pitik-bulag eh

animo la salle!

Something classic is what you want...If I said the two blocks of Fonacier over Cardona was my favorite DLSU moment (it was a classic moment), you guys would not delete it? But who judges if something is a classic? Hindi naman yata pwedeng bago magpost ang mga tao, tatanungin muna nila sa inyo kung classic ang isang moment. (Ikaw na mismo nagsabi na worth mentioning ang classic games.* *

To clear things up, I was given the impression that we can post stuff like that because nag-post si bchoter at pinabayaan niyo lang.* We want fair rules sa basketball. Pangit naman kung sa isang basketball game, isang team pwede mag-backing ngunit sa kabila, bawal. O kaya, isang team may 30 sec shot clock at ang kabilang team. may 24 sec lang. Same thing here, bchoter posted something. I posted something. His post was not deleted while mine was. unless of course the posts of the gameface forums mods can not be deleted. If that is the case, then I understand.* *

I am not posting this to cause a fight. I am posting this so that these things would not repeat in the future. So peace.* I apologize to the people who got offended by my post, but I do not apologize for posting that post. It was* legal.

well if i may reiterate my post, yes, i agree with you that bchoter's post should have been deleted together with the others (if only to be fair). and again, the game wherein mac was blocked twice by fonacier should be up there with the classics, however, don't you think it should be considered as one of your ateneo favorite moments, obviously it's not ours....how would you expect the people at BEN to react if someone posted that his favorite ateneo moment would be the arana jiggy? let's all be honest here, iba talaga ang magiging dating sa inyo di ba?

and again, medyo sensitive siempre ang mga repapips dito when you discuss such matters in a green subforum...kelan ba hindi?

and lastly, we all should know that life isn't always fair, and since this is our range, it should be in our favor he he! ;D

peace din! congrats din pala sa team glory b ng ateneo..

shyboy
10-18-2006, 10:39 PM
I am not posting this to cause a fight. I am posting this so that these things would not repeat in the future. So peace.* I apologize to the people who got offended by my post, but I do not apologize for posting that post. It was* legal.

Hay,* mga Atenista talaga.* They'll do anything just to prove something they did is LEGAL!* This is gameface, not PEX, where school supporters ought to show courtesy when visiting subforums of other schools.* The fact that you felt (and surely intended) it to be offensive but still had the gall to defend it as legal makes you really a, uhm, an Atenean?* *::)

bigfreeze_bibby
10-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Okay guys you all know kung paano magtirahan ang La Sallista't Atenista sa mga forums na ganito especially guys who go to both school's support sites. With the last posts regarding Ateneo's good moments against DLSU, I had to delete them kasi mag-uumpisa lang yan sa simpleng sagutan then later on tirahan na (o baka nga wala nang simpleng sagutan ito, pa-hagipan na kaagad). Inunahan ko lang kumbaga ang puedeng mangyari. I am just doing my job here.

If you guys got offended with what I did, pasyensya na. I hope you are all getting what I am trying to do here.

nel
10-19-2006, 07:26 AM
Good job, bf. People should remember that this subforum is our area, and whatever gets posted here is slanted towards our own interests, just as what's posted in the other schools' fora are also based on what's interesting to them. Common courtesy dictates that we honor their conventions in the same way that we expect them to honor ours.

Again, we don't want this site to degenerate into a bashing arena, so let's be sensitive when posting in someone else's forum, and keep our posts intelligent and civil.

EngWalker
10-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Yung iba kasi dyan, nagpapapansin. Tapos pag na-delete eh iiyak. If you guys want to post your favorite DLSU basketball game (like the 2x block of fonacier against Cardona) please be sensitive enough and think if it will be received well by the Lasallians who read this forum. This is our area in game face so please respect us.

If you still continue to post such insensitive posts, you can be assured that you will receive flak from the Lasallians here. We can live in a peaceful environment if we respect each other's space.

Para di off-topic... another favorite of mine (actually, it was a favorite season) was in 1990 wherein La Salle was expected to win every ballgame. Ang pinag-uusapan na lang sa campus during that time was kung ilan ang tambak (tambak ha, not lamang) sa kalaban. Notwithstanding the 3 game forfeiture given by the UAAP board because, apparently, Noli Locsin played in a "commercial" league, we were still very confident that we would go to the finals and win our back-to-back; which we eventually did against UE.

bigfreeze_bibby
10-19-2006, 01:42 PM
From now on, ayoko na makakita ng discussion regarding sensitivity on the events that will be posted here so that we will stay on course on the topic of this thread.

Rektikano
10-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Rek, it happened in 2001. Ginawang asintahan ni Renren si Bryan Tolentino nung final four game. I remember one event in the 4th quarter during that game wherein nakahabol na NU (I think mga 10 points na lang lamang nun) and then Renren played a fireman's role by sinking an in-your-face three ball off Bryan Tolentino sa harap pa ng NU bench nangyari. Tumingin pa si Renren sa bench ng NU while running back on defense. From that point on, di na ulit nagbigay ng threat ang NU during that game.

Haha! you're right pre. 2001 nga. what was I thinking? hehe..

Going back to that final 4 game, I remember 3 straight triples were hit by the Archers to douse cold water on the rally of NU, 2 from RenRen and 1 from Mike Cortez.

anghusay
11-19-2006, 06:21 AM
my favorite moments for dlsu basketball

1. 1999 season when we played UST during the eliminations.* there was a heavy downpour the whole day and this caused flash floods and monstrous traffic jams which prevented Aldeguer and Allado from playing.* they were stuck in traffic somewhere at the SSH.* during the game, Ritualo exploded for 33 points to seal the victory for DLSU.*

2. 2000 DLSU-ADMU game on opening day.* the ADMU hype machine was in full swing bragging about their "Dream Team".* ADMU was even leading by 10 pts. at half time but ended up losing by 24 pts because during the 2nd half ADMU guards Paul Tanchi and Andrew Cruz could not make it past the half court line because of the vaunted DLSU nightmare press.* It was Mike Cortez' first game as an Archer.

3. First UAAP game of Mac Cardona in 2001.* I think this was also against ADMU.* Nobody knew who Cardona was at that time but when started making hook shot after hook shot, DLSU die-hards knew he will be a great player.

4. Game 2 of the 1998 finals vs FEU.* last minute to go, game was tied.* Ritualo made a crucial 3 point basket to grab the lead for DLSU.* After which he stole the ball off the FEU inbound and drove to the basket, missed but was fouled.* made both free throws for a five point lead to end a 7 year DLSU title drought.

5. 1989 UAAP finals.* Dindo Pumaren graduated the year before and the point guard chores were handed to Teddy Monasterio.* during the finals vs. FEU, Monasterio fouled out during regulation and a virtually unknown and untested Gee Abanilla was sent in to replace Monasterio at point guard. Abanilla scored I think 10 points during overtime and totally outplay FEU point guard Pat Codinera.* DLSU won its 1st UAAP title.

Bendover
12-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Para di off-topic... another favorite of mine (actually, it was a favorite season) was in 1990 wherein La Salle was expected to win every ballgame.* Ang pinag-uusapan na lang sa campus during that time was kung ilan ang tambak (tambak ha, not lamang) sa kalaban.* Notwithstanding the 3 game forfeiture given by the UAAP board because, apparently, Noli Locsin played in a "commercial" league, we were still very confident that we would go to the finals and win our back-to-back; which we eventually did against UE.

I recall this was the year Jun Limpot broke his nose during practice(?) and had to play with a face mask during the finals.* He played somewhat cautiously in game 1 which La Salle eventually lost.* It's hard enough to play with a face injury and at the same time hearing half of Araneta shouting, "Limpot su-pot".

Well, Limpot came out playing like a man possessed in Game 2 to lead the Archers to it's second championship.* Oh, thanks also to that famous Bong Ravena fumble during a lay-up attempt around the last minute of the game... he erroneously dribbled on his foot causing a turn-over

dunkerslam
12-15-2006, 11:08 AM
5. 1989 UAAP finals. Dindo Pumaren graduated the year before and the point guard chores were handed to Teddy Monasterio. during the finals vs. FEU, Monasterio fouled out during regulation and a virtually unknown and untested Gee Abanilla was sent in to replace Monasterio at point guard. Abanilla scored I think 10 points during overtime and totally outplay FEU point guard Pat Codinera. DLSU won its 1st UAAP title.

You have a fantastic memory my friend. Everybody thought we were a gonner without Teddy Monasterio. But as it turned out, Gee Abanilla played the best game of his life! In fact, he played better than Teddy. That was a very memorable game! I was there live! Eddie Viaplana also played well. I think it was that year when Eddie made 18 triples in a Bacolod tournament. He beat the record of Allan Caidic

glock23
12-15-2006, 04:55 PM
My favorites are the games against ateneo in season 68! as we all know, this team was again very much hyped because of the "great" japeth manning the middle, a "great" coach calling the shots and LA tenorio "convinced" to stay one more year to deliver the championship back to ateneo. Opening day was a preview of things to come that year as ateneos advantage in the middle was quickly dismantled by undergoal stabs by arana , outside bombs from TY, JV, ryan and yeo. By the end of the first half the lead was 30 and the game's outcome virtually done by then.

The blue side wanting revenge, again hyped up their team to get back at the archers for their 2nd meeting. Same result 17 point win for the green and white. game 3 was a do or die for them as it will detemine who gets the twice to beat advantage entering the final 4. the blues are looking at the law of averages and thought it impossible for lasalle to beat them a third time in one season. We all know what happened, we beat them black and blue( pun intended) That was sweet!!! ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
12-15-2006, 05:18 PM
2nd game yung sinayawan sila ni Ry. Akala ko pa naman gaganahan dun maglaro yung Eagles dahil gusto nila ng revenge. Yun pala hanggang first half lang. :D

the_red_one
02-19-2007, 06:49 PM
My favorite DLSU moment was during the Telan and webb days when they finished as bridesmaids not once, not twice but thrice to the UST growling tigers. I think this is a classic for DLSU because this laid the foundations for their own version of a four peat and gave them the hunger to win each and every championship they played in :-)

bigfreeze_bibby
02-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Namamalas lang talaga yung time nila Jason. Jason was one superb athlete during that time. Parang walang labasan nga sa court pag naglaro eh. One of the better combo guards DLSU had during that time. Tingin ko talaga we should've won at least isa man lang dun sa 4 years na bridesmaid finishes. If I can remove one player from UST and FEU on that time, tatanggalin ko si Henry Ong and si Edwin Bacani or Robin Mendoza hehehe.

nel
02-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Don't forget FEU's Leo Avenido, Celino Cruz, or the "point forward" of FEU (I forget his name, the one our gallery frequently razzed about his mop haircut) who were the main men of the Tams during their day. I agree about Henry Ong, who had this awkward-looking shot that was surprisingly accurate from long distance - he killed us during the championship game.

One of my favorite Archers was Mon Jose, who was quietly effective on defense and offense, particularly whenever the Archers sprang that trap and pressure defense. Even though it's been thoroughly studied by competing coaches, the trap remains one of the Archers' main weapons. It was used sparingly but effectively in the Homegrown Cup. Perhaps one of the biggest testaments to the pressure defense is that almost all college teams now use it.

Rektikano
02-20-2007, 10:03 AM
^^^

....but Leo Avenido and Celino Cruz, who time and again also gave us fits, never won against LaSalle in any championship series in the UAAP. Avenido was rookie of the year in 1999 and we beat them by a large margin that year in the final 4. In 2000, we beat them in the championship. In 2001, we swept them both rounds and they lost to Ateneo in the final 4. On the other hand, Celino Cruz started in 1998 replacing Robin Mendoza as their point guard. We beat them for the championship that year. He and Avenido both only played 'till 2001.

The mopped hair guy you were referring to was Ronald Magtulis, a former Red Cub. In 1997, He, Robin Mendoza, Edwin Bacani and Kiko Adriano were just too much for us. I feel the 1 FEU guy who really killed us that year and who was just a mismatch against any LaSallite was really Kiko Adriano. The guy was so athletic, fast and can both slash and shoot the jumper. It was just too bad that he left FEU in 1998 after playing only 1 year for them. If he had played in 1998, maybe the championship series could've gone to a third game.

bigfreeze_bibby
02-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Nakalimutan ko nga pala lagay si Kiko Adriano hehe. Isa pa rin yan sa mga Archer killers nung 1997 championship series. Ibang klase yung mga fade away jumpers nyan, pull up pa yun kaya medyo mahirap pigilan.

Rektikano
02-20-2007, 05:43 PM
^^^^

solid rin talaga FEU nung 1997. Aside from their wingmen, hanep din yung big men nila. Who could ever forget Edwin Manabat, who gave FEU the go ahead twinner on a twisting shot against Mark Telan in the dying seconds of game 2. That Shot of Manabat gave FEU a 1 point lead with 10 seconds left. Dino Aldeguer, after a timeout, drove the length of the court but charged against a Tamaraw giving FEU back the ball and the 1997 championship. The inbound was under the FEU basket. As I understand it, now you can advance the ball to the half court line after a made shot and a timeout. Aside from the 6'4" Manabat, FEU also had 1996 rookie of the year Mark Stevens Victoria manning their frontcourt..

Semenelin
02-20-2007, 08:15 PM
hindi man ako taga DLSU, ang hindi ko makakalimutang pagkakataon ng mga archers ay yung winning shot ni dino aldegeur laban saming mga Tomasino. panalo na, natalo pa. it was a good game except, obviously, it didn't go to our favor. sa totoo, medyo ang weird nun lipad ng bola mula sa upuan ko nun pero pasok. oh well, it still is a good shot anyway you look at it, game winning pa.

Rektikano
02-21-2007, 11:43 AM
^^^^

You've got to remember it was almost a 4 point play pa with Nino Gelig fouling Dino on the triple. Na miss lang ni Dino yung free throw or else no overtime na.. ;D Bilib din ako sa UST team na yon. Two sophomores (Cyrus Baguio and Nino Gelig) and a junior (Marvin Ortiguerra) aside from 5th year point guard Gelo Velasco led the team. But you're right. Sa inyo na yung game na yun. UST led by 10 points with about 6 or 7 minutes left on rookie Derrick Hubalde's 2 straight triples. Coupled with Gilbert Lao's missed free throws, it looked like UST celebrated too early.

Do you guys know there was something similar between the 1994 and 1999 championships between LaSalle and UST except for the end result? It was same situation, UST had that 10 point lead in 1999 and they lost while LaSalle had a 10 point lead in 1994 with about same time ( 6 or 7 minutes) left in the game and they also lost. Who would lead the UST come back in 1994? Sino pa?! Di si Henry Ong..hehe.. he sank 2 consecutive triples from opposite corners that immediately cut the LaSalle lead to 4. And the rest as they say was history for UST and Elmer Lago...hahaha....

GHRanger
02-21-2007, 01:12 PM
^ Now that you brought that up, it does look the same.

That was a good series-- Better than the previous year against FEU.
There were a lot of side stories during and before that game... :)

bigfreeze_bibby
02-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Kaya ko naging bestfriend si Gilbert Lao nung series na yun eh hehehe. Kundi sa mga mintis niya sa free throw line malamang nakarinig na naman tayo ng "When Will You Ever Learn?" line sa mga taga-Espana hehehe. Suking-suki ako nito sa pinsan ko who studied in UST during the Tigers' 4 peat run.

anghusay
02-24-2007, 05:59 AM
ako suki ng USTPhobia nun.

Fried Green Tomato
02-24-2007, 06:49 PM
The "ust-phobia" was for real in the 90's. It was not so much in the 1st finals meeting (i think 1994) but moreso in the succeeding years (1995 & 1996), I always dread the day whenever we meet them in the finals.

Unlike the dlsu-admu rivalry, wherein you know already each others strengths & weakenesses and somehow, you know very well your chances but would not just say it, ust, during that time, was so unpredictable. Of course, we want to believe that we had a stronger line-up as compared to ust then but everytime in the finals, we simply failed to break aric's magical run against us. It went on for 3 long years playing in the finals & ending up as a bridesmaid. Looking back... it was really horrible especially whenever you hear the tomasians roar inside araneta with their "USTE, USTE..." hahaha. ;D

For La Sallites, knowing how impatient we are, it was a very long nightmare that keeps on recurring year after year after year.

Now, whenever we talk about our harrowing "ust experiences" & how timid-looking we were while going out of araneta & passing by the tomasians celebrating after their victory, we just had a good laugh that in 1999, the jinx was broken.

Yes, we had ust-phobia then.

If there was one good thing that we didn't have before & saved us from further humiliation & suffering... THERE WAS STILL NO INTERNET then. I could not imagine the bashing that we would get from different sites, like pex, if cyberspace was at its prime then. Yes, there is a God! :D

GreenArrows
02-25-2007, 08:28 AM
... THERE WAS STILL NO INTERNET then. . . . .

FGT, the INTERNET was up already a that time! Even in the Philippines though its usage was very very very limited. Kwento sa akin yun ng Tito bigfreeze_bibby ko.
::) ::) ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
02-25-2007, 01:10 PM

FGT, the INTERNET was up already a that time! Even in the Philippines though its usage was very very very limited. Kwento* sa akin yun ng Tito bigfreeze_bibby ko.
::)* ::)* ;D

Ano? Tama ba itong naririnig ko? Bwahaha e nung time ko gamit na gamit na internet. Regarding the UST-phobia, we actually removed that feeling back in '97 when we disposed UST in the final four ending their 4 peat title run. Twice to beat pa sila nun in the final four.

flsfnoeraekadad
02-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Nagkakabukingan na ng edad dito bwahaha. ;D

Fried Green Tomato
02-26-2007, 02:55 AM

FGT, the INTERNET was up already a that time! Even in the Philippines though its usage was very very very limited. Kwento* sa akin yun ng Tito bigfreeze_bibby ko.
::)* ::)* ;D

my mistake. Year 2000 ko na nabalitaan na meron palang internet thingy.

Nung '90s pager lang kasi ang alam ko... hi-tech na feeling ko ::)

GHRanger
02-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Actually, 1993 may mga bulletin boards na -- di pa forum-esque na tulad na meron natin dito. At that time iisa palang yata ang sikat na pinoy BB - puros buhay fil-am lang nga yung nandoon.

And yes... text based pa po kami noon. :D

Rektikano
02-26-2007, 03:39 PM
....back to the topic.....

For me the biggest factor then of coach Aric's boys was their looseness everytime they played. Maybe it's a philosophy of not relying too much on a set system and just letting the boys play. I saw that again in the 2006 UST team which will be a big factor in their campaign this year. Coach Pido really did a great job in letting the players believed in themselves.

When we lost in 1994, the pressure was there already in the succeeding years. And everytime we would lose to them, the pressure mounted for the next game. Kaya pag pasok pa lang ng laro, kabado na tayong lahat, from the players to the coaching staff down to the LaSallites in the stands.

nel
02-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Something like a self-fulfilling prediction. Our teams then didn't believe that they could win, so they didn't, whereas the Tigers were brimming with confidence. Much of the success of UST in those 4 years was due to their confidence that they could do it, and they entered each game expecting to win. Once their 4-peat streak was broken, they never regained that self-belief. Last year was a case where they played loose because they weren't expected to get that far.

I'd like to think that the current Archers have that belief in the system which has worked for several years now. It should serve them well in the coming UAAP wars.

bigfreeze_bibby
02-27-2007, 06:51 AM
Henry Ong's confidence did it all for the Tigers talaga 'nuff said. God Damn shooter hehehe. Kung walang pumasok sa mga tres niyan noon malamang tayo yung nakaka-4 peat hahaha. Sorry but maybe paulit-ulit ako dito but my principle during that time is UST = Henry Ong. Siya ang sumisira sa diskarte ng Archers every time they meet and increases that pressure on us to play catch up ball on them which has not been successful on us during those time.

Nung 1999, ang nakita kong papalit sa role na yun is either the rookie Derrick Hubalde or Gelo Velasco but still Aldeguer redeemed himself and made the biggest shot of his collegiate basketball career. By the way, kahit off season tournament games ng Archers, you may also share it here.

anghusay
02-27-2007, 07:59 AM
i guess UST will be raring to end their losing streak against DLSU. Last time the Tigers won against us was in game 1 of the 1999 Championship. I thought we were headed for another finals loss to UST and another case of UST-phobia. In game 2 the Archers won by i think 5 or 7 points setting up the Classic Game 3 overtime win and the slaying of the UST finals demon.

flsfnoeraekadad
02-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Dati nanonood ako ng UAAP. Bata pa ako nun. Naaalala ko noon La Salle ang aking chinecheer at nalulungkot din ako pag natatalo sila. Panahon pa nila Jason Webb/Cali Orfrecio/Allen Patrimonio/Maui Roca yun eh. Naabutan ko din yung last championship ng UST saka yung talo natin sa FEU in 97. Grade 4 ako nung first installment ng four-peat natin kung hindi ako nagkakamali.

It's no wonder why I'm in La Salle. ;D

wolverine78ph
06-26-2007, 11:58 PM
Besides the Dino Aldeguer miracle shot, i always remember the great ren ren ritualo. Whenever he was in a scoring binge the courtside analysts would always brand the game as the "Ren-Ren Ritualo Show" :)

Rektikano
06-27-2007, 09:36 AM
One favorite moment of RenRen was the last game of the 1999 elimination round. We played UST, with the winner getting the number 1 slot in the final 4. This was the infamous no show game of Don Allado and Dino Aldeguer. If you think about it, we had a very slim chance of winning that game without the 2 veterans. We even lost to UST in the first round. But RenRen had other things in mind. He carried the scoring load for the Archers as well as the leadership. He poured in 33 points on the Tigers with a variety of shots including a 4 point play towards the end. The game, btw, was played at the Blue Eagle gym on a rainy afternoon. What a fiiting day for RenRen as he rained down shot after shot against the Tigers. I remember the moment after that 4 point play when even Rico Villanueva and Wesley Gonzalez, who were seated behind a goal post, stood up and with both outstretched arms made the "I'm not worthy" bows. Coming from your fiercest rivals, that says a lot.

George Best
06-27-2007, 10:00 AM
A little over 8 minutes left. I think we were 19 or 20 points down. UST controlled the whole game and we couldn't get our game going. Our press wasn't working, our shots were not falling either. Then came Mike Cortez. It went down as one of the greatest comebacks ever in collegiate basketball not because we made the last second shot but because when we were rallying, UST were sinking their baskets too. As to how we managed to inch closer into them still amazes me up to this day.

It was also the day we saw how good Joseph Yeo can be. I can still remember the scoop shot he made against 2 UST players that even the commentators had to scoop their voice when the shot was made.

wolverine78ph
06-28-2007, 03:27 AM
One favorite moment of RenRen was the last game of the 1999 elimination round. We played UST, with the winner getting the number 1 slot in the final 4. This was the infamous no show game of Don Allado and Dino Aldeguer. If you think about it, we had a very slim chance of winning that game without the 2 veterans. We even lost to UST in the first round. But RenRen had other things in mind. He carried the scoring load for the Archers as well as the leadership. He poured in 33 points on the Tigers with a variety of shots including a 4 point play towards the end. The game, btw, was played at the Blue Eagle gym on a rainy afternoon. What a fiiting day for RenRen as he rained down shot after shot against the Tigers. I remember the moment after that 4 point play when even Rico Villanueva and Wesley Gonzalez, who were seated behind a goal post, stood up and with both* outstretched arms made the "I'm not worthy" bows. Coming from your fiercest rivals, that says a lot.

I guess that is why it was fitting for La Salle to retire his jersey...It was a privilage to witness such tremendous talent...none of which i won't be able to see again in my life time :)

Emon74
02-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Classic LA SALLE-ATENEO Cliffhanger, September 16, 1990 at the Araneta Coliseum

La Salle 66 Ateneo 64

The blue eagles, appeared headed for a big win when they posted a 64-60 lead but two lousy passes by olsen racela, turned the tide for the archers, with only 12 seconds remaining and the score tied at 64-all, dwight lago intercepted a weak inbound pass by racela intended for richie ticzon, leading to johnedel cardelís two charities with barely 8 ticks left. The eagles missed a chance to send the game into overtime when eric reyes, who had a spectacular gun-beating alleyoop shot which gave them a 37-35 halftime edge, muffed a short jumper from the left side. As the green archers were whooping it up at midcourt, celebrating their victory, the eagles were weeping unabashedly. Ateneo coach chot reyes could not hide his frustration, crying all the way to their dugout.

Bruticus
02-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Here's mine:

1) 1998 Finals. After being bridesmaids for the past 3-4 seasons, we finally brought home a title at the expense of the then defending champs FEU. Ren Ren's trey with a little over a minute to go, plus a steal sealed the deal.

2) 2001 Finals. For the first time in 13 years Ateneo and La Salle met in the finals. The series went the full route. The best part was in game 3, wherein the Archers overhauled a 15 pt. 1st half deficit and went on to win the series 93-88. Joe Lipa leaves Ateneo without a title.

3) 2007. From Suspensionto Champions. UE swept the elims, but La Salle swept them in the finals.