EAC - Manila
College of St. Benilde

bigfreeze_bibby
04-04-2006, 07:22 AM
What will be the tournament format?

noel_ascue
04-04-2006, 09:54 PM

The tournament format will be posted on a later date, but to give you an idea, it will be a single round robin on its group and the top two of each group will advance to the next round.

gameface_one
04-04-2006, 10:17 PM

The tournament format will be posted on a later date, but to give you an idea, it will be a single round robin on its group and the top two of each group will advance to the next round.

Thank you Noel for the information.

Welcome to Gameface.ph! :)

bigfreeze_bibby
04-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks noel. I am quite interested with 6 teams surviving from the elims. I am now wondering what will happen next since di naman puede na match-up based yung 6. I am thinking that the two best records of the 6 teams will automatically qualify in the semis and will wait for the matches pitting 3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5 for the right to enter the semis. Well maybe I am wrong in saying this. Maantay na nga lang, malapit-lapit na rin naman ito.

fraternizer
04-06-2006, 02:59 PM

The way I understood the format from the first tournament briefing late last month, there will be a modified quarterfinals with the top two teams of the three groups matching up in a crossover system (sorry, I didn't get the part of how this will be done) after which the semifinals cast will be composed of the three quarterfinals victors and the "best quarterfinals non-winner" (sorry again, I also didn't get how the match up will be done and how the "best non-winner" will be determined).* The finals, as usual, will be a one game winner-take-all affair.

noel_ascue
04-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks noel. I am quite interested with 6 teams surviving from the elims. I am now wondering what will happen next since di naman puede na match-up based yung 6. I am thinking that the two best records of the 6 teams will automatically qualify in the semis and will wait for the matches pitting 3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5 for the right to enter the semis. Well maybe I am wrong in saying this. Maantay na nga lang, malapit-lapit na rin naman ito.

from noel ascue FMC tornament director
this is where the fun is when you qualify for the top two, the one (1) and two (2) in the standing will advance to the next round, group A-1 will play group B-2, group B-1 will play group C2, and group C1 will play group A2, they will play a knock out system and the winner will advance again to the next round, the winners will be determined by a quocient system, to determine the ranking of 1, 2 and 3, and the number 4 team will come from the looser side or wild card, to determine this is by the highest quocient meaning the smallest difference from the loosing team, then team 1 will play team 4 and team 2 will play team 3, and the winners will go for the championship and be the champion of this years 12th Fr. martin cup -nike summer league 2006.

noel_ascue
04-06-2006, 08:42 PM

The way I understood the format from the first tournament briefing late last month, there will be a modified quarterfinals with the top two teams of the three groups matching up in a crossover system (sorry, I didn't get the part of how this will be done) after which the semifinals cast will be composed of the three quarterfinals victors and the "best quarterfinals non-winner" (sorry again, I also didn't get how the match up will be done and how the "best non-winner" will be determined).* The finals, as usual, will be a one game winner-take-all affair.

from noel ascue FMC tournament director
check out my reply with the other posted question.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the format noel. Kung hindi ako nagkakamali, nagamit na rin ata itong format na ito before di ba?

noel_ascue
04-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the format noel. Kung hindi ako nagkakamali, nagamit na rin ata itong format na ito before di ba?

from Noel Ascue FMC tournament Director

Yes, yan ang ginagamit ko na format ever since sa FMC. Simula noong nagkaroon ng 3 groups.

The General
04-13-2006, 08:53 PM
bakit di sumali ang PCU sa FMC? hmmmm????

AnthonyServinio
04-15-2006, 05:17 PM
I don't think PCU will play in Father Martin activities very soon after what happened during last year's 11th Father Martin Cup wherein they withdrew their Team A in the middle of the tournament on the grounds that they were not prepared because Coach Edmundo Baculi had just been appointed as the head coach. Despite Team A's withdrawal, PCU's Team B continued to play.

The General
04-16-2006, 01:05 AM
::)thanks anthony!

noel_ascue
04-18-2006, 02:32 AM
I don't think PCU will play in Father Martin activities very soon after what happened during last year's 11th Father Martin Cup wherein they withdrew their Team A in the middle of the tournament on the grounds that they were not prepared because Coach Edmundo Baculi had just been appointed as the head coach.* Despite Team A's withdrawal, PCU's Team B continued to play.

from noel ascue FMC tournament Director

Hi Antony, I guess you know the story, I think the problem is with PCU Officials not with FMC, they know what to do if they want to join the summer league.

gameface_one
04-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Gamefacers, note changes and adjustments in the groupings. Changes in Red.

MargaretThrasher
05-09-2006, 09:12 AM
How are the groupings determined? Do the organizers draw the names of the schools out of a bag or something?

Just curious ;D

Kid Cubao
05-09-2006, 10:23 AM
margaret, madali lang yan :) eto yung usual practice:

first, the tournament organizer determines the seedings of participating squads. he is guided by their placing in the last tournament as well as the perceived strength of the submitted lineups. may halong subjectivity na rito, and it is not unusual na pagtalunan ang mga tournament seedings like what happens in wimbledon or in FIBA international tournaments. in this case, if there are three groups, the rule of thumb is to determine the tournament seeding up to the sixth seed.

second, once the seeding is determined, the next step is to assign the top seeds in separate groups. for example, the no.1 seed lords over one group, the no.2 in the second group, and the no.3 in the third group. then repeat the process: no.4 is bracketed with no.1, no.5 with no.2, and no.6 with no.3.

after that, puro at-large na yan, kaya di malayong mangyari na daanin na lang sa bunotan yung mga natitirang team. which may explain why UE, which is a potent squad on paper but otherwise untested in FMC competition, ended up on the same bracket with ateneo-A. on the other hand, it may also be the case that UE is actually the top seed in group C and ateneo drew the at-large slot :D

gameface_one
08-07-2006, 01:50 PM
This thread is now LOCKED.