PDA

View Full Version : Season 82 NCAA Commish Is . . .

AnthonyServinio
04-03-2006, 10:31 AM
. . . EMILIO "JUN" BERNARDINO.

What do you think?* Now that Joe Lipa will be handling UP-Diliman, this fellow former Maroon's name has cropped up as a possible replacement.

gameface_one
04-27-2006, 07:55 AM
Jun B eyed new NCAA commish

The Philippine Star 04/27/2006

Emilio "Jun" Bernardino, former commissioner of the Philippine Basketball Association, may find himself calling the shots in collegiate league when he was offered to be the next commissioner of Season 82 of the NCAA basketball tournament set to unfold late June.

The appointment of Bernardino, who served at the PBA helm for almost a decade, to the NCAA post, however, will be made official after the NCAA policy board gives its approval in a meeting next month.

Sources, however, said Bernardino is good as in.

"I have been asked by Bernie Atienza of St. Benilde to be the NCAA commissioner this season, and I said yes," said Bernardino. St. Benilde’s representative in the NCAA board is now chair of the Management Committee taking over from Fr. Vic Calvo, OP, of Letran College last Mar. 15.

Bernardino will replace Joe Lipa, who is now coach of the basketball team of University of the Philippines, the school the latter steered to its only UAAP championship in 1986.

As commissioner, Bernardino will be in charge mostly of technical matters in running the league although his decisions will be subject to approval by the boar. — Joey Villar

gameface_one
05-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Bernardino named NCAA commissioner
mb.com.ph

FORMER PBA Commissioner Emilio “Jun” Bernardino Jr. was officially named as basketball commissioner of the country’s oldest collegiate league – the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).

Bernardino is hoping to bring his integrity, professionalism and vast experience when the league officially unfurls on June 24 at the Araneta Coliseum.

Bernardino’s appointment was announced yesterday during a joint meeting by the NCAA Policy Board and Management Committee (MANCOM) yesterday at the St. Benilde Hotel in Manila.

The presence of Bernardino in the NCAA is expected to boost the sagging popularity of the league which celebrates its 82nd season this year with College of St. Benilde as host.

St. Benilde officials and other top brass of various schools are one in saying that Bernardino is the right man for the job because of his cool demeanor and profound decision making.

The former University of the Philippines stalwart was named PBA commissioner in 1994 and served until the 2002.

"It is my pleasure to serve the NCAA for the 82nd season. Considering what basketball has given me, in terms of where I am now, I think it is (but) natural that I give back what I have received all throughout the years," said Bernardino.

"We assure Commissioner Bernardino of all our support. It is our privilege to have him in the NCAA," said NCAA Policy Board President Bro. Edmund Fernandez, FSC, of College of St. Benilde.