PDA

View Full Version : Cyberhoops Scribes and Forum Posters

gameface_one
03-31-2006, 07:35 PM
Following the thread on Sports writers, this thread is for your favorite cyberhoops scribes and forum posters. Who are your favorites?

Let me start with the following:

1. Sid Ventura - good in-depth analysis of the game

2. MonL - good source of hardcore basketball history and information

3. Cackler - mixes humor with straight forward analysis

4. GreenArrows - one word: credibility.

5. Anthony Servinio - the "truest cyberhoops journalist" and an absolute authority when it comes to player stats and background.

6. Kid Cubao - could be the most technically knowledgeable cyberhoop scribe around

Gamefacers, this thread is for all of us cyberhoops scribes. Post your thoughts.

bchoter
03-31-2006, 07:48 PM
There's this poster at mypba who's a well of info regarding the commercial leagues (MICAA) and the pros. Can't remember his ID.
Burch Manego aka roadwarrior, a hardcore hoops junkie, should be a welcome addition here in gameface
Kaboom! was ok over at PEX

gameface_one
03-31-2006, 07:51 PM
There's this poster at mypba who's a well of info regarding the commercial leagues (MICAA) and the pros. Can't remember his ID.
Burch Manego aka roadwarrior, a hardcore hoops junkie, should be a welcome addition here in gameface
Kaboom! was ok over at PEX

Kaboom's analysis is ok. Just got busy in Solar Sports. ;)

Gil_Andrews
04-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Rektikano

Bleachers King

Nel

Pio Valenz

5Footcarrot

Cubao Fleehouse

My most "popular" ones are:

FGT

Anne Caluag

and the notorious PEX bashers

gameface_one
04-26-2006, 03:40 PM
From UBelt.com:

The Athletic Mind: La Salle’s Jolly Green….arrows
Sid Ventura

As I write this, the UAAP Board is deliberating on the fate of the De La Salle Green Archers. At this point in time, it appears that the only question to be answered is whether or not to suspend the school in the upcoming UAAP season.

Much has been said and written about this controversy, and inevitably La Salle has come out as the villain, the school that would do anything and everything to win. When a board representative from another school made the rather callous remark about DLSU having a “win at all costs” motto, you just sort of knew how the rest of the public felt about the whole thing.

(On a personal level, I think a sanction should be in order – exactly how severe, I admit I’m not too sure. I’ve said this before: somewhere along the way La Salle did drop the ball, even if we assume that there was no complicity. Negligence should not go unpunished. At the very least the men’s basketball program should be held accountable.

But suspension from all sports, I feel, is an excessive punishment. I know the Board is waving this basketball-and-volleyball-are-mandatory-events thingie at us, but could you please explain to La Salle athletes from other sports exactly why they should be made to suffer for Mark Benitez’s incompetence?)

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, everyone seems to have an opinion on what happened and what should happen, yet outside of Tommy Manotoc, there has been virtually no reaction from the La Salle community. Sure, the La Salle administration has come up with a number of press releases, but that was to be expected. I wanted to know how the community was coping. I wanted to know what they were really thinking.

So I decided I needed to get in touch with someone who is highly respected not only among La Salle’s basketball fans, but among UAAP basketball purists in general. Of course, this someone also had to be privy to the goings-on within the men’s basketball program for him to provide me with the insight I needed. Given these criteria, I knew there was only one person I could turn to.

The nickname he uses on various Internet message boards has become synonymous with credibility and symbolizes his loyalty to his alma mater: Greenarrows. The man has been my ever-reliable contact since I started writing regularly about the UAAP five years ago. We have not always agreed on everything, Joe Lipa being our most common source of debate, but at the end of the day, I always knew I could rely on him for accurate information and expert analysis. The fact that he paid for my coffee when I interviewed him has absolutely nothing to do with this very positive introduction. (If a couple of beers had been thrown in, I would have canonized him).

So over coffee and mocha fraps in a Starbucks somewhere in Makati, I sat down with the man who runs the popular Green Archer support site archerpride.com. Off the bat, he made it clear how he felt about this whole issue.

“Bro. Armin (Luistro, DLSU president), said, and I agree with him, that if the Board rules that there was complicity on the part of the school, then they better have the facts to back it up. There must be solid evidence, and not just what is in the minds of the Board members because those are just opinions.”

So what happens if the Board finds complicity and a suspension is meted?

“Well, if legal action is required, then maybe legal action will be taken. You see, this is not the same as the Adamson case (of 1994). There was clearly complicity there, because you are talking about the grades of a student (Marlou Aquino) during the time he was already enrolled in Adamson.”

I point out that even though this isn’t the same as the Aquino-Adamson case, the undisputed fact remains that La Salle did field two ineligible players – players who hadn’t even finished high school - for two to three seasons. This is a fact, regardless of whether there was complicity or not.

“Yes, that’s true. And if there was no complicity, therefore it is now a case of ineligibility. And what is the penalty for ineligibility? Forfeiture of all won games in which the player was fielded. We already did this voluntarily. We surrendered the 2004 trophy. There is nothing in the rule book that says an entire sports program – let alone a team – should be suspended for a whole season because of a player’s ineligibility.”

And if the Board does forfeit all of La Salle’s won games from 2003 to 2005? “If they give the trophy to the second-placed team (FEU), then you have to open all the documents of all teams and players (of previous seasons). Better to just put ‘no champion’ for 2004.”

That La Salle fielded two ineligible players could actually even be beside the point, if you carefully study the UAAP rule book, GA adds.

“Up to when can you question the eligibility of a player? What if someone discovers that four years ago, a team had actually fielded a player who had to serve residency first? Will they be suspended and their wins forfeited as well? Remember, La Salle could have just kept quiet about this and no one would have probably known about it. You do the right thing and you face a severe punishment for doing so?”

If a suspension does take place, though, GA does not discount the possibility that La Salle may pull out of the league altogether. “We’ve had enough,” he said. “My gut feel is that they will probably suspend us. The UAAP Board hasn’t been very friendly to La Salle. I’m not very hopeful. But who knows? They might prove me wrong,” he said with a wry smile.

But overall, Greenarrows believes that the controversy has had, if at all, a minimal effect on La Salle as an institution. “The school’s credibility has suffered a bit, without a doubt. But I think it’s not that bad. You go to La Salle on any given school day, and it’s business as usual. The students aren’t really letting it concern them too much.”

That’s good to hear, but what about recruitment for the men’s basketball team? “No players have backed out directly as a result of this, near as I can tell. Okay, maybe we lost some recruits, but I can’t say for sure that it was due to all this uncertainty. We could still have lost them even if everything was normal.”

Indeed, it is a testament to the strength of the La Salle name that as of now, despite the threat of a suspension looming over their heads, there is only one doubtful recruit among the players in the coaching staff’s wish list. Among the new faces to look out for are Simon Atkins, Brian Ilad and Marko Batricevic. As for the holdovers, PJ Walsham will be back after sitting out last year. TY Tang will definitely come back for a final season, while JV Casio, Rico Maierhoffer, OJ Cua and Cholo Villanueva are still very much around.

The only player they really lost unexpectedly was Ryan Arana, who was booted out due to academic deficiencies. Bet he doesn’t feel like dancing now.

As for the coaching situation, right now Jack Santiago is calling the shots, but nothing is final. “Obviously, the school is waiting for the Board’s decision before deciding on a coach,” GA observed.

“All the teams, not just men’s basketball, are going on with their training. There are others leagues we can join this year if we are suspended, and that goes for all sports.”

The Board should be deep in deliberations by now, around two hours after I began writing this piece. Whatever the decision they arrive at, you can expect me to ask Greenarrows to join me for another cup of coffee to discuss La Salle’s future.

AnthonyServinio
04-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Following the thread on Sports writers, this thread is for your favorite cyberhoops scribes and forum posters. Who are your favorites?

Gamefacers, this thread is for all of us cyberhoops scribes. Post your thoughts.
My personal favorite -- AnthonyServinio

easter
08-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Since this is one about cyberhoops, maybe some of you will be interested in my blog Hoops TV. The blog features cool basketball video clips I found in the net. I will try to post new videos as often as I can. Enjoy!

http://hoopstv.blogspot.com/

christian
08-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Sirs MonL, Cackler, Athony Servinio!

lekiboy
08-02-2006, 10:08 PM
I second. :)