PDA

View Full Version : Your Most Memorable PBL Game

gameface_one
03-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Gamefacers, share your most memorable PBL game here.

I can't forget the incident involving our RP PBL selection vs a visiting USA Swifts squad in the late 80's and a brawl resulted. Alvin Patrimonio's jersey was ripped off and the game was discontinued. The home crowd was throwing debris on the guest team which hurriedly left the court for safety.

bchoter
03-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Gamefacers, share your most memorable PBL game here.

I can't forget the incident involving our RP PBL selection vs a visiting USA Swifts squad in the late 80's and a brawl resulted. Alvin Patrimonio's jersey was ripped off and the game was discontinued. The home crowd was throwing debris on the guest team which hurriedly left the court for safety.

^ I saw this one on TV.

Mine would be my first Mama's Love game where Rizal was literally filled to the rafters. It was memorable not because of the game itself but by the number of spectators

MonL
03-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Mine would be my first Mama's Love game where Rizal was literally filled to the rafters. It was memorable not because of the game itself but by the number of spectators

I remember watching a game between Mama's Love and ESQ Marketing in the PABL, then coached by Joe Lipa. Joe was targetted* by Mama's Love spectators, and taunted no end. Napikon nung may sumigaw ng "Kalbo!!!" sa likod niya.* At that point, Joe turned and faced his heckler and, with fiery eyes, pointed at him and said "Hoy, dahan-dahan ka sa pagkakantiyaw, ha!!!"* * *;D* Mama's Love won that game on a last second shot by Jojo Lastimosa....

MonL
03-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Of course, everyone's familiar with the Mama's Love players who made it to the PBA. I also to this day remember the Beatles/Sir Galahad-haired lefty forward Danny Lastimosa and the Sylvester Stallone(even to the downturned mouth)-look alike forward Paul Abais...

bchoter
03-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Prior to their stint in the then PABL, Mama's Love team was a touring team. My older bothers got to see them play daw

easter
04-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Another memorable game for me will be the one wherein SMB were composed of practically the whole Philippine team (Caidic, Samboy, etc) and then losing the final game of the championship to a team made up of Magsanoc and Dondon Ampalayo. I can't remember the name of Magsanoc's team at that time.

Memorable din siyempre when Ateneo won the championship in the PBL in 2002. This tournament showed the calmness of Fonacier and gave some time in the sun to a player by the name of Gec Chia who will play a crucial role in that year's UAAP Season.

AnthonyServinio
04-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Another memorable game for me will be the one wherein SMB were composed of practically the whole Philippine team (Caidic, Samboy, etc) and then losing the final game of the championship to a team made up of Magsanoc and Dondon Ampalayo. I can't remember the name of Magsanoc's team at that time.
That was the classic Lagerlite versus ESQ Marketing game in front of a truly jam-packed Rizal Memorial circa 1985(?) wherein the Merchants upset the highly-favored Brewers(?).

That game will arguably go down as one of the top classics of PABL/PBL history.

Kid Cubao
04-03-2006, 10:48 AM
what sealed that game, aside from the heroics of magsanoc and the inside artistry of dondon ampalayo, was the wrench job on lagerlite center jerry codinera by ESQ center and jerry's older brother harmon codinera. hindi nakaporma si jerry dahil talagang gwardyado ni kuya.

Howard the Duck
04-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Muntikan nang mag rambulan noong Finals series ng ANA at Welcoat. Down 0-2 ang Ana at kailangang panalo tapos may nangyari kay Paolo Mendoza parang na disallow yata ang tira nya tapos muntikang magkagulo hehehe ;D

keempee
04-24-2006, 12:06 AM
lagerlite was obviously the heavy favorites that time as they were studded with the big names of amateur basketball and had practically bowled over the opposition in the previous rounds.

but before the start of their series, the two teams played a non-bearing semis game (both had made it to the finals already). lagerlite won that game, tambak pa ata, but joe lipa confidently proclaimed that he had found a way to beat lagerlite.

he showed his genius in beating a team composed of caidic and company (not really sure if samboy was there). of course, ricky cui, rey cuenco, and dondon ampalayo were not bad players themselves; but to subdue the then-national team was a tremendous achievement.

kryptonite
04-28-2006, 03:43 AM
That was the classic Lagerlite versus ESQ Marketing game in front of a truly jam-packed Rizal Memorial circa 1985(?) wherein the Merchants upset the highly-favored Brewers(?).

That game will arguably go down as one of the top classics of PABL/PBL history.

Yup, that was the 1985 Invitational Cup of the PABL. Lagerlite was composed of Allan Caidic, Dindo Pumaren, Jeffrey Graves, among others. But this team did not include Samboy Lim. They lost to a ESQ Marketing team composed of DonDon Ampalayo, Ricky Cui.

Wang-Bu
05-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Bandang 1998 yata ito, nung nasa PBL pa si Eric Menk. Unstoppable siya, OK naman na player, hindi naman gago, plays hard, tough customer, ganung tipo. Nasa Tanduay pa siya nuon, coach nila si Chua-Lay. Ang kasama niya sa Tanduay nung panahon na iyon sina Mark Telan, Chris Cantonjos, Erwin Luna, Willie Miller (limot ko na kung si Ogie Gumatay o si Boyet Tanigue ang pointguard nila non), basta shit sa super lakas ang Tanduay nung panahon na iyon.

Nakalharap nila sa Finals nung conference na iyon Ana-Dr J ni Leo Isaac. Ang mga pambato naman ni Isaac nuon sina Ruel Buenaventura, Bryan Gahol, Marvin Ortiguerra, Alan Gamboa, Ronald Tubid, Aldwin Manubag (nandun pa nga yata si Dante Gonzalgo).

Llamado siempre ang Tanduay kasi naka-tatlong sunod na yata silang championship at career MVP si Menk.

Ito ng masaya: Nanalo pang Ana-Dr J after going down 2-0 in a Best-5 Finals. Hindi makapaniwala ang Tanduay kung papano sila niyari ng Tanduay.

Anthony Servinio maybe you can give us the rosters pati na ibang detalye nung series na ito.

theo78
09-12-2006, 04:54 PM
ako yung buzzer beater ni gee abanilla dati...magnolia vs...hindi ko alam yung kalaban nila noon...rizal memorial yung game noon, 1990 ata yun...

Sam Miguel
09-13-2006, 01:03 PM
All the games of the A & W Root Bears. Eric Reyes at center, Mulong Orillosa at power forward, Jorge Gallent at small forward, Boybits Victoria at offguard, Olsen Racela at pointguard. I couldn't believe how a team this small made so much trouble against bigger and supposedly better teams of the late 1980's to early 1990's.

Emon74
09-16-2008, 12:56 PM
although never pa ako nakanood ng pbl game live, I seem to remember a pabl game in the late 80s that went into 5 or 6 overtimes.

RockLobster
09-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Bandang 1998 yata ito, nung nasa PBL pa si Eric Menk. Unstoppable siya, OK naman na player, hindi naman gago, plays hard, tough customer, ganung tipo. Nasa Tanduay pa siya nuon, coach nila si Chua-Lay. Ang kasama niya sa Tanduay nung panahon na iyon sina Mark Telan, Chris Cantonjos, Erwin Luna, Willie Miller (limot ko na kung si Ogie Gumatay o si Boyet Tanigue ang pointguard nila non), basta shit sa super lakas ang Tanduay nung panahon na iyon.

Nakaharap nila sa Finals nung conference na iyon Ana-Dr J ni Leo Isaac. Ang mga pambato naman ni Isaac nuon sina Ruel Buenaventura, Bryan Gahol, Marvin Ortiguerra, Alan Gamboa, Ronald Tubid, Aldwin Manubag (nandun pa nga yata si Dante Gonzalgo).

I think Ogie Gumatay was on the other side, playing with fellow U.P. Maroon Paolo Mendoza for Ana Water Dispenser (named after Paolo's sister; of course, we all know the team was bankrolled by Paolo's dad and carried the name of one of the family businesses then). Oo nga, memorable itong finals series na ito kasi underdogs talaga ang Ana. One of greatest upsets perhaps in PBL finals history.

bchoter
09-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Sam kasama din yata si Joel Gaspar sa A&W. Anyway, makikisama din ako sayo jan. This team was really fun to watch. I also had fun watching Philips Sardines.

The_Big_Cat
09-17-2008, 10:15 AM
The 2002 PBL Slam Dunk contest. Rookie Marc Pingris shattered the backboard with a two handed jam at the Makati Coliseum. Unfortunately for him, Nino Canaleta won the contest. And Canaleta was only a guest contestant in the dunkfest.

coreytaylor
09-17-2008, 10:33 AM
my most memorable pbl game was the star-studded welcoat team led by james yap, jojo tangkay, mark pingris, bitoy omolon, willy wilson, mac cuan, ervin sotto, etc. was defeated by fash detergent led by simon, rich alvarez, larry fonacier, wesley gonzalez, mercado, salangsang, etc in the finals (forgot what year).

AnthonyServinio
09-17-2008, 03:19 PM
IT has to be the Magnolia versus Kettle Korn playoff game held at the EAC Gym that took forever to complete! :D

aircanda
09-17-2008, 08:28 PM
my most memorable pbl game was the star-studded welcoat team led by james yap, jojo tangkay, mark pingris, bitoy omolon, willy wilson, mac cuan, ervin sotto, etc. was defeated by fash detergent led by simon, rich alvarez, larry fonacier, wesley gonzalez, mercado, salangsang, etc in the finals (forgot what year).

I remember this game.. pinapatay ni Peter Simon lahat ng binabatong defenders sa kania.. maski si Wilson pinabantay sa kania.. nakakapangilabot din yung moment ni Salangsang.. ala Willis Reid..

nash_bedista
09-17-2008, 09:46 PM
IT has to be the Magnolia versus Kettle Korn playoff game held at the EAC Gym that took forever to complete!* *:D

i remeber this, umabot ata ng 3 or 4 na overtime. Pang overtime yung Tira ni Pong Escobal, then pang 2nd overtime yung
3pts hail mary ni Japs Cuan.. Andun kami nun, grabe intense ang laban. Both squads field their Championship Lineup except for Jervy Cruz from UST. May mga sumisigaw ng "GO USTE" at "GO SAN BEDA FIGHT!"

bossman
09-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Ako sa recent memory lang ha. Yun Magnolia team led by Arwind Santos down 0-2 sa Welcoat/Rain or Shine. Magnolia swept the last three games and it was a splendid team performance. Magnolia's core that time was a bunch youngsters and yun Welcoat/Rain or Shine was a mix of veterans naman

amamangloy
09-17-2008, 11:03 PM
there was a game 4 or 5 years ago when Montana went scoreless in the first quarter and went on to win the game.

coreytaylor
09-18-2008, 04:02 PM

I remember this game.. pinapatay ni Peter Simon lahat ng binabatong defenders sa kania.. maski si Wilson pinabantay sa kania.. nakakapangilabot din yung moment ni Salangsang.. ala Willis Reid..

simon was on fire during that game. no one could stop him.

ryies
01-13-2009, 06:02 PM

Di ko pa naabutan yung mga 1980 games year 2000 na lang ako nakapagsimulang manood ng PBL... Pero I would love to see PBL classics... These are the games that really exhibit intelligent coaching and playing talents...

Yep... It was the 2003 PBL Platinum Cup Finals... The whole series was very momorable... Welcoat won game 1... Fash won game 2... Simon had a spectacular game 2 performance and was awarded league MVP in Game 3, which Welcoat won... Jojo Tangkay (Welcoat) lost to Peter June Simon for the MVP race even if he had higher statistical points... Welcoat showed protest by wearing Tangkay MVP stickers on their jerseys (including James Yap, Paul Artadi, Marc Pingris, and Ervin Sotto, who eventually became Simon's teammates in the PBA)... Chino Trinidad almost stepped down as Commissioner in the middle of Game 3... Welcoat fans cheering Tangkay MVP while Simon was almost teary-eyed as he was held scoreless the entire game... Simon back with a vengeance in Game 4, which Fash won... Simon plays a near-perfect game scoring over every Welcoat defender he was up against, no matter how big and how many they were... One play I can't forget was when Simon made a shot after the ball hit his head (Tangkay blocks Simon's shot, ball hits Simon's head and enters the basket. Perfect example of using your head... hehehe)... Fash wins championship with Larry Fonacier stepping up. Fonacier wins best player of the game and Simon wins finals MVP.

Mas masaya yung mga nangyari outside the games... ilang araw din pinag-usapan... Even Ryan Gregorio and Alvin Patrimonio had to step in because it happened after they got Simon off the free agent pool and drafted Yap, Artadi, and Sotto...

Sana may makapag upload ng whole game 4 ng 2003 PBL platinum cup Finals sa youtube... hehehe...

Emon74
03-09-2010, 10:34 AM
One of my favorite PABL classics was following the Purefoods team when it first joined in '86, my late dad used to work sa Purefoods around that time kaya nasundan ko ang history ng Purefoods, one game was the opening of the PABL third conference (Filipino cup) featuring Purefoods vs Swift in the first game, panalo sila dun, during the 1987 season, although madalas lagi replay ang mga PABL games, I would known the results already in the newspapers, walang maganda palabas sa TV, kaya pinag tsagaan namin panoorin the Purefoods-Lady's Choice game, sa ULTRA pa venue, kami magkakapatid pinag tatawanan ang Purefoods puro bulok pa mga players, little did I know I would cheer for the team pag pasok sa PBA.

coreytaylor
03-09-2010, 11:18 AM

Di ko pa naabutan yung mga 1980 games year 2000 na lang ako nakapagsimulang manood ng PBL... Pero I would love to see PBL classics... These are the games that really exhibit intelligent coaching and playing talents...

Yep... It was the 2003 PBL Platinum Cup Finals... The whole series was very momorable... Welcoat won game 1... Fash won game 2... Simon had a spectacular game 2 performance and was awarded league MVP in Game 3, which Welcoat won... Jojo Tangkay (Welcoat) lost to Peter June Simon for the MVP race even if he had higher statistical points... Welcoat showed protest by wearing Tangkay MVP stickers on their jerseys (including James Yap, Paul Artadi, Marc Pingris, and Ervin Sotto, who eventually became Simon's teammates in the PBA)... Chino Trinidad almost stepped down as Commissioner in the middle of Game 3... Welcoat fans cheering Tangkay MVP while Simon was almost teary-eyed as he was held scoreless the entire game... Simon back with a vengeance in Game 4, which Fash won... Simon plays a near-perfect game scoring over every Welcoat defender he was up against, no matter how big and how many they were... One play I can't forget was when Simon made a shot after the ball hit his head (Tangkay blocks Simon's shot, ball hits Simon's head and enters the basket. Perfect example of using your head... hehehe)... Fash wins championship with Larry Fonacier stepping up. Fonacier wins best player of the game and Simon wins finals MVP.

Mas masaya yung mga nangyari outside the games... ilang araw din pinag-usapan... Even Ryan Gregorio and Alvin Patrimonio had to step in because it happened after they got Simon off the free agent pool and drafted Yap, Artadi, and Sotto...

Sana may makapag upload ng whole game 4 ng 2003 PBL platinum cup Finals sa youtube... hehehe...

I think Larry Fonacier won The Finals' Pivotal Player Award.

KingRedLion
03-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Di ko na gaanong tanda yung particular game instances but I used to never miss the games pag ang magkalaban eh Patrimonio's Yco Floor Wax, Paras and Magsanoc's Philips Sardines(puro taga-UP yata in ang team like Joey Guanio) and Jolas' Converse Lhuillier.

PABL pa nun. Amature basketball at it's best.

Emon74
07-18-2010, 10:15 AM
the Swift-Philips Sardines championship which went into OT sa deciding game, Paras cried going to the bench after fouling out, si Marata pinaka mahusay na player sa Swift, while si Patrimonio, last conference as an amateur medyo hinay hinay na sa laro knowing he would jump to the PBA already.

Glory days ng PABL noon 80s when they were playing at the Rizal Coliseum. 2 halves pa dati, 20 minutes in each half, saka 1 by 1 free throw or wave kung penalty situation.

pio_valenz
07-26-2010, 05:22 PM
^I remember that game. Bennet Palad had a chance to win the game in regulation for Philips, but his jumper at the buzzer was just a little long. Si Junel Baculi ang starting point guard ng Philips, at ang back-up niya ay si Alfie Manlulo ng UP.

I watched the game live on TV. The Rizal Coliseum was jampacked. Those were indeed the glory days of the PABL.

kryptonite
10-20-2010, 04:07 AM
the late 80s PABL slam dunk contest featuring bong alvarez, nelson asaytono, alvin patrimonio, jojo lastimosa and the then college standout Vergel Meneses. Of course, everyone knew how the reed-thin Meneses beat everyone to win the Slam Dunk crown as the only collegiate player.

pepman
11-16-2010, 12:31 PM
the late 80s PABL slam dunk contest featuring bong alvarez, nelson asaytono, alvin patrimonio, jojo lastimosa and the then college standout Vergel Meneses. Of course, everyone knew how the reed-thin Meneses beat everyone to win the Slam Dunk crown as the only collegiate player.

Did you watch the video on this? It's on YT!