PDA

View Full Version : Basketball on the Silver Screen

5FootCarrot
03-28-2006, 07:45 AM
(Inspired by Glory Road, which allblue and I watched yesterday ;D)

While waiting for the next game or the start of the next tournament, a hardcore hoops junkie will probably take their basketball in any way he/she can get it, and that includes movies.

So, this thread is for the discussion of your favorite (or least favorite) basketball movies, past and present. Why do you like/hate that movie? What did you think of the actors, the plot, the basketball scenes? Any quotable quotes? Share them here!

EDITED TO ADD: Just to start things off, I want to ask about the movie Hoosiers. It's almost always mentioned when people talk about basketball movies, but I have to admit that I haven't seen it yet. What's so good about it?

MonL
03-28-2006, 08:15 AM

While waiting for the next game or the start of the next tournament, a hardcore hoops junkie will probably take their basketball in any way he/she can get it, and that includes movies.

So, this thread is for the discussion of your favorite (or least favorite) basketball movies, past and present. Why do you like/hate that movie? What did you think of the actors, the plot, the basketball scenes? Any quotable quotes? Share them here!

EDITED TO ADD: Just to start things off, I want to ask about the movie Hoosiers. It's almost always mentioned when people talk about basketball movies, but I have to admit that I haven't seen it yet. What's so good about it?

The earliest basketball movie I watched was One-On-One starring Robby Benson, a 5-10 actor with probably enough skills to play spot duty in the NBA at that time...it's a story about a high school basketball phenom named Henry Steele who was recruited for the Western University Huskies varsity, given perks like a car, a "job" in the school to earn an allowance(watering the school grounds, though the sprinkler system is automatic, if you catch my drift). His showboating earned the ire of his coach, who even recruited a hood to beat Henry up in a "scrimmage" to force him to give up his scholarship. He was banished to the bench for much of the season, playing garbage time minutes. With the help of his student-tutor/girlfriend later on(mush!), he became a student athlete who studied well enough, bided his time and found redemption in the final game when he made the crucial plays for his team to win and sweep the season. A feel good movie about fighting back for what you believe in, with a little mush on the side. What I found a little unbelieveble at that time was the scene where exams were in conflict with Henry's basketball practice, and thus somebody else took his exam in his place. Di na nag-aral yung bata, puro laro lang ang nasa isip. Ghosts of the past haunting us today? Fact stranger than fiction?

BLUE HORSE
03-28-2006, 08:25 AM

The movie was loosely based on the true to life story of a basketball team from Milan, Indiana. *It also depicts David against Goliath.

Milan is a small farming town in Indiana. *The towns basketball team did the unthinkable sometime in the late 50's when their team made it all the way to the Indiana high school state finals. *During that time, all Indiana schools played a knockout step ladder series to qualify for the State championship starting with the district tournament regardless of school size. *This format favors the big city schools hence the comparison to David and Goliath. *It was also the first time that an undersized all white team reached the finals and actually beat the bigger school. *

The show emphasized how the game was played during that period. *Below the rim and premium on the fundamentals. *They featured how to win games using the pick and roll, down screen for the shooters and the forerunner of todays motion offense in the weave.

My favorite basketball movie featured Gabe Kaplan as a NYC gym rat who accepts a coaching position from a small, family run institution whose main goal was to beat State U. *Kaplan imported 3-4 players from the playgrounds and "Y" of NY including a girl. *Bernard King of the Knicks played a guy who had no high school credentials except his skills in basketball but was accepted to college despite spurious credentials and needed a lot of remedial help to survive his course work. *The star point guard was a played by Mike Warren of UCLA fame and Hill Street Blues as a born again preacher after being a chick boy. *Trust me, I am not referring to a certain school who may be facing suspension for accepting players who bought their credentials in Recto. *Bwahahahaha! * :P

Kid Cubao
03-28-2006, 08:38 AM
about hoosiers, this is what i recall:

the movie starred gene hackman as basketball coach norman dale in a small rural indiana high school in what could be his last shot at the state title. he got fired from his last coaching job allegedly for hitting one of his own players. (corrections are highly welcome, though.)

he faced tremendous odds at the beginning, having replaced a popular coach who just passed away and burdened with the task of convincing the team's best player, jimmy chitwood, to return to action. kung di ako nagkakamali, this player quit because he doesn't want to play for the new coach. typical hollywood twist to create conflict and spice up the story line :D

what made him even more unpopular was the heavy-handed way he ran his practices. hmmm, another storyline conflict. however, he was able to solicit the support of a local hoop legend and present town drunk to be his assistant coach. i forgot his name, but his character was played by dennis hopper, and he was great in that role. eventually the town drunk cleaned up his act and became more involved in the affairs of the team.

in time the team, under the new coach, *began racking up the wins in dramatic fashion. in their semis victory, the winning baskets were scored by the towel boy via two free throws thrown "arinola"-style. in the climatic state finals, the last second play, which they called the "picket fence" play, was diagrammed by gene hackman for jimmy chitwood, who confidently replied "i'll make it." so hayun, na-shoot, panalo ang team, and gene hackman was nominated for two oscars for his riveting performance.

bchoter
03-28-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm sure Pido could use the same lines with the Tigers: "I've seen you guys can shoot but there's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

toti_mendiola
03-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Basketball Diaries.Semi-Indie film. about a decade ago or so, during or after Leo's Gilbert Grape film days. it stars DiCaprio. H.S. basketball superstars, all of them friends and play for the same school. Ultra gifted as cagers. But they seem not to care about the opportunity, they rather spend their time together partying, booze binge, music and experiment with drugs. Tragic.

MonL
03-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Blue Chips is a story about a coach of a fictional university played by Nick Nolte who, pressured to come up with a winning season, recruits three core players led by and portrayed by Shaquille O’Neal and Anfernee Hardaway. Their recruitment comes at a steep price, with Nolte’s character, Coach Bell, finally turning a blind eye to violations committed by alumni (purchasing a house, a tractor for the players’ relatives and giving large sums of money) in order to get the three players on board. After winning their first game of the season, Bell’s conscience breaks, and spills all before the media.

“Blue Chips” is a dark look at amateur sports, the opposite of Hoosiers, which is a feel-good movie about digging deep within yourself and overcoming adversity.* Basketball is a secondary topic here… The story focuses more on the conflicts surrounding winning at any cost. At what cost will you win? Are you prepared to pay the price? Will you be able to live with yourself? I would understand a coach’s plight of trying to pull together a winning season due to immense pressure from the academic institution and alumni. A lot is at stake. Among them monetary considerations and institutional prestige.

"You took the purest thing in your life and corrupted it, for what? For what?"

For some, there’s no substitute for victory/glory. What price glory?

bchoter
03-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Blue Chips is a story about a coach of a fictional university played by Nick Nolte who, pressured to come up with a winning season, recruits three core players portrayed by Shaquille O’Neal and Anfernee Hardaway. Their recruitment comes at a steep price, with Nolte’s character, Coach Bell, finally turning a blind eye to violations committed by alumni (purchasing a house, a tractor for the players’ relatives and giving large sums of money) in order to get the three players on board. After winning their first game of the season, Bell’s conscience breaks, and spills all before the media.

“Blue Chips” is a dark look at amateur sports, the opposite of Hoosiers, which is a feel-good movie about digging deep within yourself and overcoming adversity.* Basketball is a secondary topic here… The story focuses more on the conflicts surrounding winning at any cost. At what cost will you win? Are you prepared to pay the price? Will you be able to live with yourself? I would understand a coach’s plight of trying to pull together a winning season due to immense pressure from the academic institution and alumni. A lot is at stake. Among them monetary considerations and institutional prestige.

In Lombardi's words "winning is not everything, it's the only thing"

paralusi
03-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Hoosiers.

http://www.sportshollywood.com/images/hoosiers/Hoosiers.jpg

"This story is loosely based on a real event in 1954, when a team from a tiny high school in the farmlands of Indiana rose against all odds to win the state basketball championship.

"In 1954, tiny Milan, with a sharpshooter named Bobby Plump, dominated much larger schools on their way to a 28-2 record and the Indiana state finals. Among their victims was Oscar Robertson's high school team (Crispus Attucks High School in Indianapolis). In the finals, they shocked everyone when they squeaked past powerhouse Muncie Central for the Indiana state crown on Plump's last-second shot. It was considered one of the greatest basketball games ever played, and has attained a legendary status. In September 1999, Sports Illustrated named this team one of the top 20 teams of the century. The sports writers of Indiana named the "Milan Miracle" the #1 sports story in Indiana history."

MonL
03-28-2006, 12:44 PM
I am tempted to post Regal Films' movies starring our local stars, but I wouldn't want anyone to choke on their lunch..... you are my friends. Mamaya na lang....;D

bchoter
03-28-2006, 12:51 PM
I am tempted to post Regal Films' movies starring our local stars, but I wouldn't want anyone to choke on their lunch..... you are* my friends. Mamaya na lang....;D
^ I was saw an Mon Fernandez life story which touches on how he discovered basketball or, if the story is true, how basketball discovered him. I saw this during lent last year on cable TV. It was a good sacrifice as I had to endure bad acting all thourghout :D

bchoter
03-28-2006, 12:53 PM

The earliest basketball movie I watched was One-On-One starring Robby Benson, a 5-10 actor with probably enough skills to play spot duty in the NBA at that time...it's a story about a high school basketball phenom named Henry Steele who was recruited for the Western University Huskies varsity, given perks like a car, a "job" in the school to earn an allowance(watering the school grounds, though the sprinkler system is automatic, if you catch my drift). His showboating earned the ire of his coach, who even recruited a hood to beat Henry up in a "scrimmage" to force him to give up his scholarship. He was banished to the bench for much of the season, playing garbage time minutes. With the help of his student-tutor/girlfriend later on(mush!), he became a student athlete who studied well enough, bided his time and found redemption in the final game when he made the crucial plays for his team to win and sweep the season. A feel good movie about fighting back for what you believe in, with a little mush on the side. What I found a little unbelieveble at that time was the scene where exams were in conflict with Henry's basketball practice, and thus somebody else took his exam in his place. Di na nag-aral yung bata, puro laro lang ang nasa isip. Ghosts of the past haunting us today? Fact stranger than fiction?
With Hall and Oates doing the movie theme of the same title

5FootCarrot
03-28-2006, 03:41 PM
In Lombardi's words "winning is not everything, it's the only thing"
Correction - Vince Lombardi actually said "Winning isn't everything, but making the effort to win is." I think it was another football coach named Henry "Red" Sanders who said that winning was the only thing.

Back to the discussion - hwaw! Andami namang replies ;D Thanks for sharing about your favorite hoops movies, guys, and for answering my questions about Hoosiers. I have to say I still prefer football and ice hockey movies, but thanks to hardcore hoops I'm coming to appreciate basketball movies, too.

MonL
03-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Back to the discussion - hwaw! Andami namang replies ;D Thanks for sharing about your favorite hoops movies, guys, and for answering my questions about Hoosiers. I have to say I still prefer football and ice hockey movies, but thanks to hardcore hoops I'm coming to appreciate basketball movies, too.

You're welcome, Carrot. And thank you for posting new threads for us to share.....

admuhs_upengg
03-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Basketball Diaries.Semi-Indie film. about a decade ago or so, during or after Leo's Gilbert Grape film days. it stars DiCaprio. H.S. basketball superstars, all of them friends and play for the same school. Ultra gifted as cagers. But they seem not to care about the opportunity, they rather spend their time together partying, booze binge, music and experiment with drugs. Tragic.

The movie was based on an autobiographical book by Jim Carrol written when he was 16 years old. Jim Carrol was a playground and NYC school basketball legend who never quite made it because of his heroin addiction and other demons.

Another similar movie is Rebound about NYC playground legend Earl "The Goat" Manigault. Who had the same fate at Carrol.

admuhs_upengg
03-28-2006, 09:56 PM

Wasn't it Seals and Croft ;)

AnthonyServinio
03-29-2006, 12:45 AM
Shoot That Ball (starring TVJ)
Mong (starring Boni de Jesus)
Last Two Minutes (starring Alvin, Jerry and Bong)
Daddy's Angel (starring JV Gayoso)
Dunking Donato (starring Benjie Paras)

. . . these Pinoy film classics were just cheated out of the FAMAS Awards!* *:D

Of course, these were the films with basketball storylines.* Some basketball players appeared in films with non-basketball storylines. All the abovementioned films were slapstick comedies except Gayoso's film which was supposed to be a drama.

MonL
03-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Then there's "The Pistol," a movie about the life of the late 'Pistol Pete" Maravich, though it did not delve on his NBA career.....

"Pisces, The Winning Team" is a comedy about a cinderella pro team struggling to do all it can to win it all, even resorting to astrology to put together the team (mga players with the astrological sign of Pisces, hence the name). It starred Sixers superstar Julius "Dr. J" Erving, Harlem Globetrotter Meadowlark Lemon, comedians Flip Wilson, and more... It was originally released in the US under the title "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh," and released in the early eightes...

bchoter
03-29-2006, 11:41 AM

Wasn't it Seals and Croft* ;)
Seals and Croft did Fair Share pero Hall & Oates sang One on one... yata :D

bchoter
03-29-2006, 11:48 AM

Of course, these were the films with basketball storylines.* Some basketball players appeared in films with non-basketball storylines. All the abovementioned films were slapstick comedies except Gayoso's film which was supposed to be a drama.
There was this FPJ movie where PBA ex and current PBA players made cameo apperances. Mostly as taxi drivers. Of course of the current and former players, Jimmy Santos has the most showbiz exposure. Joey Marquez probably comes next. Former Stag Marco Alcaraz has shifted to showbiz after getting injured. BJ Manalo's showbiz career appears stalled for now.

MonL
03-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Some basketball players appeared in films with non-basketball storylines

I remember Atoy Co getting hoots, catcalls, raspberries and a lot of laughs for his crying act in a "very sad" deathbed scene of sexy star Alona Alegre in one of the bold flicks that came out in the 70s...

Going back to slapstick, there was this one movie trailer featuring several basketball players in a classroom show-and-tell* scene:
Rey Cuenco(RIP)* *:* Mango!
Rudy Distrito* * * * :* *Prito!!!
Dondon Ampalayo :* *Ampalaya!!! and
Philp Cezar* * * * * *:* * Saardines!!!

MargaretThrasher
03-29-2006, 01:00 PM

HAHAHA! I remember seeing "Last Two Minutes" on Cinema One once upon a time. Kasama pa yata roon yung early 90s bagets like Aiko, Ruffa, Carmina, et. al.

Another memory from Cinema One was "Dobol Dribol" (at least I think that was the title of the movie) starring Maricel Soriano, Alvin Patrimonio and Alvin Patrimonio. Yes, Alvin and Alvin. I think Alvin had a dual role in this movie as a basketball player who somehow turns into a girl (Maricel) and as the basketball player's promdi cousin. But I have no idea how the movie ended.

MonL
03-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Lilihis tayo ng konti, from the silver screen to the TV screen...me nakakaalala pa nung tv series "White Shadow" sa Channel 9 years ago?

LION
03-30-2006, 07:54 PM
How about White Men Can't Jump. Woody Harelson (not sure about the spelling) and Wesley Snipes played ball hustlers (hardcore ballers) in this movie.

About White Shadow, hmm... I am pretty sure it was not during the 80s or 90s.

MonL
03-30-2006, 08:41 PM
How about White Men Can't Jump. Woody Harelson (not sure about the spelling) and Wesley Snipes played ball hustlers (hardcore ballers)* in this movie.

About White Shadow, hmm... I am pretty sure it was not during the 80s or 90s.

Wag mo naman akong gatungan.... ;D

admuhs_upengg
03-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Lilihis tayo ng konti, from the silver screen to the TV screen...me nakakaalala pa nung tv series "White Shadow" sa Channel 9 years ago?

Yeah I remember that. It starred Ken Howard who played an ex NBA player who ruined his knee so he ended up coaching
a High School basketball team. It was in the late 70's and early 80's

gameface_one
03-31-2006, 06:54 PM
What's the title of that old movie about a player called "The Goat?" He was a streetball legend and was later taken in by a school in college but was not able to finish the same. He played against Lou Alcindor in the playground with other future NBA players. He jumped so high that he was able to get some money from the top of the basketball board and he was only 6'0" I think. Unfortunately, he never made it to the NBA. Just can't remember the name of this player.

Can anybody remember the title of this film? Got to watch this one again.

bchoter
03-31-2006, 07:02 PM
^ Somebody have posted the movie about The Goat. It was "Rebound: The Legend of 'The Goat' Manigault" which starred Don Cheadle on the lead role.

gameface_one
03-31-2006, 07:08 PM
^ Somebody have posted the movie about The Goat. It was "Rebound: The Legend of 'The Goat' Manigault" which starred Don Cheadle on the lead role.

Ooops...missed that one bchoter. Thanks.

Agent 008
04-01-2006, 01:23 PM
MonL,

I don't rememeber White Shadow sa Ch. 9 but I do remember Prrrt...FOUL on Ch. 2 starred by Arnaiz, Jaworski and Yoyong Martirez. It was followed by the FIRST "interactive" video game contest called TV Pow hosted by Dudong, the trio's houseboy in the show.

Space invaders pero voice command...galing!

Pow, pow, pupupow..POW...

;D

Mateen Cleaves
04-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Personal favorite basketball movies (no particular order):

Hoosiers (Gene Hackman)
He Got Game (Ray Allen, Denzel Washington)
White Men Can't Jump (Wesley Snipes, Woody Harrelson, Marques Johnson in a cameo)
Fastbreak (Gabe Kaplan, Bernard King)
One-on-One (Robby Benson)
Space Jam (Michael Jordan, animated versions of Ewing, Barkley, Shawn Bradely, Muggsy Bogues and..?)

Best performance by an NBA star in a basketball movie -- Ray Allen as Jesus Shuttlesworth in Spike Lee's "He Got Game".

Best basketball movie ever: Hoop Dreams (documentary)

Favorite movie with an NBA star in the cast: Airplane! (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar)

MonL
04-03-2006, 07:23 AM
MonL,

I don't rememeber White Shadow sa Ch. 9 but I do remember Prrrt...FOUL on Ch. 2 starred by Arnaiz, Jaworski and Yoyong Martirez. It was followed by the FIRST "interactive" video game contest called TV Pow hosted by Dudong, the trio's houseboy in the show.

Space invaders pero voice command...galing!

Pow, pow, pupupow..POW...

;D

Yeah, Agent, I remember "TV Pow!".. ;D Of course, after Jawo, Arnaiz and Yoyong(syempre, siya yung fall guy, butt of jokes, comic relief, etc.,...hey, someone has to do it... :D) came Freddie Webb and Joey Marquez with their own shows to display their "wit and wisdom..." :D

Agent 008
04-03-2006, 09:44 AM
MonL,

I'm glad you brought up Freddie Webb because Chicks to Chicks was a weekly staple. I'm sure not a few are still card carrying members of the fan club :D

LION
04-03-2006, 10:06 AM
^ Yeah. I liked that show because of Carmi Martin ;D

5FootCarrot
04-03-2006, 10:15 AM
I just noticed that HBO is showing Hoosiers this month. :) Hope I get to see it.

Agent 008
04-03-2006, 10:18 AM
AAAHH LION...I see that you are a bona fide card carrying member as well. Not that I am a stalker but I do have your favorite as a neighbour...purely coincidence I tell you. I will admit to nothing *;D

Sorry for that little outburst..now back to the topic...

I also enjoyed the comedy of Joey Marquez especially when Anjo Yllana joined that gang. FYI..Anjo in high school was a monster basketball player. He tried out for the UAAP Eaglets in 85 but was cut, I think because he didn't have the right "pull" with the managers. This guy played like a Dwayne Wade and could hang on the rim with both hands. I think he moved to San Sebastian the year after and played significant minutes but the showbiz bug cut his playing career short.

LION
04-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Little outburst?.....Carmi Martin? Hmmmm. I wouldn't want to elaborate on it hehehe ;D You are the man.

Anjo indeed was also a hardcore. Mukhang idol din niya si Distrito and Onchie dela Cruz. Anjo got involved in a lot of "ugly situations", especially when he was still playing in Fairview.

MonL
04-03-2006, 10:28 AM
I just noticed that HBO is showing Hoosiers this month. :) Hope I get to see it.

I like the part where Gene Hackman diagrams/plans the team's next moves after assuming that the "orinola guy" will make his second free throw, tinitigan pa niya yung player, at *nagdramatic pause pa siya to an unbelieving team in their huddle, letting the effect of his words sink in, and then repeating the play he diagrammed for his players to execute... :D

MonL
04-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Little outburst?.....Carmi Martin?* Hmmmm. I wouldn't want to elaborate on it hehehe ;D You are the man.

Anjo indeed was also a hardcore. Mukhang idol din niya si Distrito and Onchie dela Cruz.* Anjo got involved in a lot of "ugly situations", especially when he was still playing in Fairview.

Lekat...nagsilabasan ang mga card-carriers....kelan tayo mag-mi-meeting? ;D

Agent 008
04-03-2006, 10:36 AM
MonL,

Aba kung gusto niyo ay sa bahay ko na. Baka gusto niyo pang mag-imbita ng guest of honor ;)

Pero..balik sa topic. Ang recent basketball movie na nagustuhan ko ay Coach Carter.

MonL
04-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Anjo indeed was also a hardcore. Mukhang idol din niya si Distrito and Onchie dela Cruz.* Anjo got involved in a lot of "ugly situations", especially when he was still playing in Fairview.

I was wondering why Onchie was not mentioned anywhere untl now. Underrated, rugged player on thiose Tanduay teams....
He got his first shot as a replacement player for the injured Frankie Lim on that ill-fated 1980 RP Youth Team...He was early in his career known for his fancy drives and ability to score, pero his ruggedness came to the fore later on in his pro career, and he gained enforcer status...

Last Edit: This has been moved to a more appropriate thread, "Hardcore players who made good...."

chocoks77
04-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Bakit parang walang bumabanggit ng Last Two minutes ni Alvin Patrimonio, Jerry Codinera and Paul Alvarez? O di kaya naman yung Dobol Dribol of Alvin Patrimonio with Maricel Soriano? What about TVJ's (forget the title of their movie) with the Ginebra/Anejo basketball players? Yan ang mga classic na mga basketball movies...Collector's items ;D

5FootCarrot
04-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Dude, those movies were discussed on pages 1-2, I think, of this thread.

Agent 008
04-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Teka...how come wala pang nagme-mention ng sine at tv stints ni Bonel "Big Boy" Balingit? Naaalala ko na meron akong nakita sa tv na sikyo and role niya. Kahit di marunong umarte ay natawa pa rin ako :D

MonL
04-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Teka...how come wala pang nagme-mention ng sine at tv stints ni Bonel "Big Boy" Balingit? Naaalala ko na meron akong nakita sa tv na sikyo and role niya. Kahit di marunong umarte ay natawa pa rin ako* :D

OT, isa pang tawag kay Bonel("Bonnel" nung una siyang nagpakita sa madlang Pinoy basketbolista) na pinauso ni Anjo ay "Ye-yeh," gawa ng usong tela noong 1970s ang Vonnel, at ang advertisement nito... "Yeah- yeah!!!"

Agent 008
04-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Mabuhay ka MonL,

Medyo hindi ko na alam ang triviang yon kay Bonel pero pinabilib mo talaga ako sa lalim ng kaalaman mo pati sa showbiz :D

Kung sa laro naman, ang naaalala ko sa kanya ay ang nga one-handed elegant shots niya na ala-Mon Fernandez. Medyo okay na rin ang porma pero not as accurate sa percentage...at dahil sa laki niya ang tawag ko dun ay ang kanyang elephant shot ;D

MonL
04-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Mabuhay ka MonL,

Medyo hindi ko na alam ang triviang yon kay Bonel pero pinabilib mo talaga ako sa lalim ng kaalaman mo pati sa showbiz :D

Kung sa laro naman, ang naaalala ko sa kanya ay ang nga one-handed elegant shots niya na ala-Mon Fernandez. Medyo okay na rin ang porma pero not as accurate sa percentage...at dahil sa laki niya ang tawag ko dun ay ang kanyang elephant shot* ;D

Kung nabawas-bawasan lang ang taba niya, he would have made a major impact at sana seriously na-consider sa national team... Saan ka nakakita ng 6-9 na homegrown* na ang braso ay mas malapad sa binti ni Mon Fernandez.. Tumba si Wang Zhi-Zhi at yung Great Wall... I wish lang.... sayang. :D

Agent 008
04-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Yes, sayang talaga si Balingit...hindi siya parang weird na matangad lang like Muresan. May katawan at galaw din naman.

Another one na sayang although still active is Feihl.

Let's see a show of hands...

Sino sa atin ang di nakapagsabi na "Kung kasinglaki ko lang yang si Feihl ay nasa NBA na ko!"

(Para lang nasa topic pa rin ako...) Tanungin ko na rin kung lumabas na ba sa tv/cine itong si Feihl ;D

MonL
04-07-2006, 07:40 AM
Yes, sayang talaga si Balingit...hindi siya parang weird na matangad lang like Muresan. May katawan at galaw din naman.

Sino sa atin ang di nakapagsabi na "Kung kasinglaki ko lang yang si Feihl ay nasa NBA na ko!"

(Para lang nasa topic pa rin ako...) Tanungin ko na rin kung lumabas na ba sa tv/cine itong si Feihl* *;D

Na-feature siya sa isang showbiz/docu/feature story ng mga players na may kamukha sa artistang pinilakang tabing at kamukha daw niya si Gohvahnoerh Ahnold da Terminator..hanggang ulo nga lang.

Lucas Palaka
04-07-2006, 11:18 AM
ej feihl has german/austrian blood just like the governator, pero ang pagka-bondying nya ay pinoy na pinoy :D

razor
04-07-2006, 12:40 PM
"The Air Up There" where Kevin Bacon, as a college coach and with the help of a Catholic priest/missionary, recruits an African tribesman to play for his college team - just like SBC with Sam Ekwe (except Sam has schooling and was not recruited out of tribe hehe) ;D

bchoter
04-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Like Mike saw Allen Iverson, Vince Carter, Chris Webber, Jason Kidd, and other players do cameo roles as themselves

5FootCarrot
04-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Speaking of basketball players doing cameos, how about Slam Dunk Ernest with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as some kind of divine being trying to give guidance to the bumbling Ernest P. Worrell, who with the help of a pair of magic shoes becomes the star player of his cleaning company's basketball team and gets big-headed from fame.

Yes, I've watched this movie on TV more than a couple of times. Ernest is funny. Knowhutimean?

pio_valenz
04-11-2006, 08:39 PM

Ooops...missed that one bchoter. Thanks.

Yeah, that was a pretty good movie. I was able to catch it on HBO around five or six years ago. I researched The Goat's life story after watching this movie, and it turns out Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who was Manigault's great rival when both were high school stars in New York, was once quoted as saying The Goat was the best basketball player he had ever played against. From someone who played in the NBA for 20 years, that's saying a lot.

This may be better suited for that other thread on basketball books, but that movie also brought to my attention the book The City Game, by Pete Axthelm. It chronicled the lives of great New York playground legends like Manigault, Herman "Helicpoter" Knowles, and Connie Hawkins. It was the first serious book about playground basketball. An acquaintance I had met in another Internet site once promised to lend me his copy of this book. I better text him again. :)

Btw, carrot, Hoosiers was shown recently on Star Movies. Looks like you missed it. ;)

5FootCarrot
04-12-2006, 07:48 AM
Btw, carrot, Hoosiers was shown recently on Star Movies. Looks like you missed it.* ;)
Yeah, I saw it listed in the TV schedule in the newspaper. Maybe it'll be aired again this month.

AnthonyServinio
04-12-2006, 11:16 AM
I still cannot fathom that given the Filipinos' knack for basketball, there is yet to come a serious Filipino movie on the sport, meaning a drama or love story with a basketball theme or even a biography of a basketball personality and none of those slapstick comedies. ???

LION
04-12-2006, 01:28 PM
^ Maybe because commercially it is not viable. Perhaps a serious film documentary, not necessarily to be shown in movie theaters, can be made featuring Caloy Loyzaga, still considered as the greatest Filipino basketball player ever. He is the perfect candidate because he has not been tainted by politics and other factors not related to basketball.

He also belongs to the basketball era when basketball was played purely for the love of the game.

Agent 008
04-12-2006, 03:14 PM
I agree with you on Caloy.

Who do you see playing yhe role of the Big Difference?

LION
04-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Agent,

Now you just gave me a problem hehehe. Maybe it is one of the reasons why they haven't made yet a film bio of Caloy. It's quite hard to think of anyone who can play the role. He must be 6'3, tisoy, pigeon chested, good looking.

Add also the fact that his children are tisoys and a tisays. Who will play Chito? Joey? Teresa and Bing?

Medyo masakit nga sa ulo yung maghanap ng mga gaganap. :)

AnthonyServinio
04-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Agent,

Now you just gave me a problem hehehe.* Maybe it is one of the reasons why they haven't made yet a film bio of Caloy. It's quite hard to think of anyone who can play the role. He must be 6'3, tisoy, pigeon chested, good looking.*

Add also the fact that his children are tisoys and a tisays.* *Who will play Chito? Joey? Teresa and Bing?

Medyo masakit nga sa ulo yung* maghanap ng mga gaganap.* *:)
Maybe Bing and Teresa can play themselves since they are actresses already.

Finding the actor is tough indeed, just like one of the dumbest castings ever -- Victor Neri as Danny Ildefonso in an episode of "Maalaala Mo Kaya".

Agent 008
04-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Hahaha..sorry about the headache, Lion. Maybe we should have a Loyzaga look-alike contest :)

Anthony, I didn't catch that on Maalala Mo Kaya but I'd much rather sit through the next 3 days listening to some wailing of the "pasyon" :) Good call on Bing and Teresa (naaks, parang close kami diba..first name basis)

LION
04-12-2006, 04:38 PM
No problem Agent. I was already preparing to leave the office when I read your post.

Now, like a wedding gown, I'm off. :)

AnthonyServinio
04-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Now you just gave me a problem hehehe.* Maybe it is one of the reasons why they haven't made yet a film bio of Caloy. It's quite hard to think of anyone who can play the role. He must be 6'3, tisoy, pigeon chested, good looking.
Two solutions:

1. Prosthetics

2. Hire short actors as extras

Kid Cubao
04-17-2006, 03:37 PM
alam ko na kung sino ang pwedeng gumanap na caloy loyzaga: SI CHUCK PEREZ! :D :D

Ghostrider
05-29-2006, 01:44 PM
Interesting reviews on 10th anniversary of the release of the "Hoop Dreams" documentary:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/journal_view.php?journalid=177302&entryid=218682&view=public

With all the praise this movie recieved when it first came out, I couldn't help but feel intrigued to see this. And with the brand new special edition that just came out, I decided to go out on a limb and blind buy this. Normally, I don't blind buy. In fact, I hate the whole concept of buying a movie you've never seen. But with the rental store not carrying a copy, and with good insticts, I decided I would give this a try.

Boy, was I pleased. This is the sort of film that captures you in a way you really can't describe. This film is a documentary that follows two young high achievers, Arthur Agee and William Gates, who dream to one day play proffesional basketball and happen to just live in Chicago's toughest areas.
Both basketball players are so unique and have such an interesting story. They love the game, but both come from poor neighborhoods with little to no money. However, with their talent, they are able to get a scholarship to St. Joes, a prep school 3 hours away from their crime driven neighborhood. Gates is the better student of the two, and with hardly any money to keep up with the bills, Arthur Agee's Mother must pull him out of the Catholic School.

The pressure that is put on these kids is at times, scary. Arthur finds success in his new High School, Marshall, located in his city, but has to deal with his Father, who at times makes a few bad decisions, and a struggling Mother on well-fare. William Gates, on the other hand, is struggling with a injured leg and needs to keep his grades up in order to play for Marquette University.

The story of these two young boys is extremely compelling. You feel as if you know them, and root for their teams to win. I remember hoping Marshall High School would keep winning in the playoffs, despite not being projected to win.

Roger Ebert said it best when he proclaimed, "Hoop Dreams is not only a documentary, It is also poetry and prose, muckraking and expose, journalism and polemic. It is one of the great moviegoing experiences of my lifetime."

This film has indeed found it's way into my all time Top Ten list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lapchick/060124
"The big screen makes us think"

By Richard Lapchick
Special to Page 2

The release of "Glory Road" has once again given us a movie that prompts a discussion about the issue of race in America. The movie "Crash" went far deeper into stereotyping and racism across all racial and ethnic groups, but it was seen by a limited audience. Sports movies like "Glory Road," "Remember the Titans" and "Hoop Dreams" are seen by wider audiences. The depiction of life in these films raises many important questions and inspires discussions about the state of America's race relations today.

"Glory Road" follows the season and the lives of the basketball players and coaches at Texas Western University on their way to the 1966 NCAA Division I Championship. This was the first time that five African-Americans took the floor at the same time in a national championship game. They faced an all-white University of Kentucky team led by legendary coach Adolph Rupp. Contrary to the information in the movie, Rupp had tried to integrate his Kentucky team in the late 1950s, and had also tried to recruit Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, then Lew Alcindor, in the early 1960s. But it was still five African-Americans against five whites. It was unusual then for any more than two or three African-Americans to start for one team, and quite common for five whites to be starting. Now, of course, you'll often find the opposite.
Without understanding that it was doing so, this team was making a stand on social issues in 1966 in El Paso, Texas. Although the players and coaches say that Hollywood created some scenes that did not actually happen, there were others that surely could have happened when Texas Western came to town with an all African-American starting five. This was, after all, within three years of the assassinations of Malcolm X and Medgar Evers and the murders of three civil rights activists working in Mississippi. Two years later, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy were assassinated. Although they did not know it, the young men playing for Texas Western could certainly have been in harm's way when they went into certain Southern towns.

Likewise, "Remember the Titans" told us the stories of coaches Herman Boone, an African-American, and Bill Yoast, a white man, as they helped T.C. Williams High School in Alexandria, Va., to successfully integrate. In 1971, they became head and assistant coach, respectively. That caused anger and protest in the white community, and it was only through the extraordinary efforts of Boone and Yoast that a team was built. Through the coaches' leadership, it did not matter in the huddle whether the players were African-American or white, Protestant, Jewish or Catholic. It mattered only that the Titans were focused on winning a championship. There was conflict, compromise and, finally, resolution. But above all, there was a total team commitment to the goal.

Boone and Yoast now tour the country talking about what the experience was like, answering candidly that Hollywood, in some cases, did not always accurately tell the story -- but acknowledging that it captured the context of what they and their team went through.

The Texas Western players have had reunions over the 40 years since their championship, as the Titans have in the 35 years since theirs. It has been slightly more than 10 years since the release of "Hoop Dreams," a documentary about the lives of Arthur Agee and William Gates. The movie followed Gates and Agee from their eighth grade, inner-city Chicago youth through their years in college at Marquette and Arkansas State, respectively. As teenagers, both boys expected to play in the NBA. The movie, more than "Remember the Titans" and "Glory Road," told us about the effects of race and poverty in America. We watched as Agee's lights were turned off in his apartment because his mother could not afford to pay the bill. We watched as his father succumbed to drug addiction, abandoned his family and went to prison. We watched Gates become a father while still in high school.

Agee's mother, Sheila, was a heroic figure who went back to school herself during this period to become a nurse's aid. On Arthur's 18th birthday, in one of the most poignant moments of the film, she said she was so proud of Arthur not just because he would graduate from high school -- but because he lived to be 18, since too many of his friends did not. In our country, there is no certainty of a long life for children raised in poverty.

These films helped illuminate some of our country's most difficult social issues. As a true story without actors, "Hoop Dreams" was the most real. It showed today's reality. There is a possibility that when people watch "Glory Road" and "Remember the Titans," some might think it is great that we have overcome these obstacles and that such things no longer happen. I fear some will react that racism was part of American history at that time, but it no longer plagues our society.

Every person of color knows this is not true. But the stories of the lives of the coaches and players at Texas Western, just like those of the Titans, and Arthur Agee and William Games, serve America well in forcing us discuss an issue we are usually too terrified to touch.

dudewheresmyboard
06-05-2006, 07:30 PM
My favorite basketball movie - "Heaven is a Playground." It's a relatively unknown movie with no big name stars. And as the title suggests, it's about playground basketball. By the way, this is my first post.*

JonarSabilano
06-27-2006, 04:34 PM

(Para lang nasa topic pa rin ako...) Tanungin ko na rin kung lumabas na ba sa tv/cine itong si Feihl* *;D

I remember watching a documentary on an old local cable news channel about Feihl.
Also featured the 7'3" Raul Dillo, who went on to suit up for FEU and San Juan, without really playing.

'Yun ang talagang sayang.

Also, the 6'9" Danny Jumamil of Adamson. I heard of him in 1998, when he went home to Mindanao due to "personal matters".

yungha
07-14-2006, 11:28 PM
i loved those pre-cable basketball commercials from the late 80's and early 90's. anyone else remember these classics -

larry bird: converse star tec is designed for the best pro player
dr. j (butting in): thank you larry! converse has the unique ..., ...
larry: (says something)
dr. j: it's reinforced for me...
larry: ... and me
dr. j: hey, maybe it was made for both of us
larry: must be magic!
magic johnson (appearing out of nowhere): now that's who this shoe was made for!

then there's the charles barkley commercial, he's shown dunking left and right, throwing elbows, talking smack, knocking people down. i am not a role model. i'm not paid to be a role model. parents should be role model. just because i dunk a basketball, doesn't mean i should raise your kids.

anyone remember the first few lines of this classic barkley commercial - barkley's in an empty gym, dribbling, looking into the camera. _________________, i can go around you, i can go through you, or, i can just do what i do best (2-hand slam). basketball by barkley, shoes by nike.

pio_valenz
07-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Let me fill in the blanks for you, yungha:

larry bird: converse star tec is designed for the best pro player
dr. j (butting in): thank you larry! converse has the unique ..., ...
larry: it's designed for a great rebounder like me.
dr. j: it's reinforced for me...
larry: ... and me
dr. j: hey, maybe it was made for both of us
larry: must be magic!
magic johnson (appearing out of nowhere): now that's who this shoe was made for!

anyone remember the first few lines of this classic barkley commercial - barkley's in an empty gym, dribbling, looking into the camera. If you don't get out of my way, there's a couple of ways I can handle this, i can go around you, i can go through you, or, i can just do what i do best (2-hand slam). basketball by barkley, shoes by nike.

Pero kwento lang sa akin yan ha. Musmos pa kasi ako nung pinalabas yung mga ads na yan nung 80s.

personally, my favorite was one of Shaq's first ads for Reebok. He's standing in the middle of a basketball court, and he knocks on some invisible door. An eyeslit emerges, and Bill Russell peers out.

Russell: ID
(Shaq shows an ID that says...SHAQ.)
Russell: Password.
Shaq: Don't miss the funk on a nasty dunk (or something like that)
Russell: You're early.
Shaq: But I'm ready.
Russell: Then prove it.

Russell opens the door, and Shaq steps inside a dark room with a backboard at one end. Waiting for him are three other Hall-of-Fame centers: Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Walton, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Walton steps forward and shrugs to Shaq, as if to say, "Well show us what you've got."

Shaq grabs a ball and unleashes a ferocious dunk that shatters the backboard to pieces. With a huge grin on his face, he approaches the four legendary centers holding the basketball rim, as if seeking their approval.

Kareem: That's not enough.

Chamberlain then hands Shaq a broom and dust pan. Shaq's smile vanishes.

Shaq: Oh, I see. This must be some rookie thing or something.

5FootCarrot
07-17-2006, 05:49 PM
I remember that Shaq commercial. At least, I think I remember hearing him say that "nasty dunk" line before I changed the channel :D

The Charles Barkley commercial I remember was the "gotta have the shoes" one featuring him playing against Godzilla. One of those US spoof magazines came out with an alternative ending for it wherein Godzilla incinerated Barkley with his fiery breath and then took the shoes, which had miraculously survived the inferno. Naka-goggles pa si Godzilla, hehehe.

christian
07-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Got that shoes! hehehe classic yung shoes na yun!

Ghostrider
07-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I heard about those commercials from an older cousin ;)

Anyone watched the "Through the Fire" documentary? Ala hoop dreams daw, however having read "The Jump" already, I doubt if there's anything new for me to see in the film.

http://www.insidehoops.com/through-the-fire-021006.shtml

THROUGH THE FIRE a great, must-see hoops film

By InsideHoops.com | Feb. 10, 2006
No matter what plans you may have for this weekend, at least a few hours will be terrific -- provided you go catch a fantastic, must-see basketball documentary that hits select cities tonight.

Through The Fire tells the tale of basketball star Sebastian Telfair as he spends his high school year playing basketball and deciding whether to jump straight to the NBA or attend the University of Louisville, where he'd be coached by the legendary Rick Pitino.

Telfair, the cousin of NBA star Stephon Marbury and brother of overseas pro baller Jamel Thomas, grew up in Brooklyn's Coney Island neighborhood and like his relatives went to Lincoln High School.

In the phenomenon of poor kids from urban ghettos passing up traditional means of upward mobility for the win-it-all/lose-it-all gamble of professional sports, Telfair becomes a focal point of the debate.

Through The Fire shows us strong personalities yanking Telfair in one direction or the other. We gain insight about the manufacturing of Telfair into a likeable, marketable item. We see washed-up players in the projects who wished they were Marbury or Telfair but failed, sharing their views. We see extended family and friends doing their best to hang onto Telfair and be his best friend, uncensored views from his coach, lip service from a king of the sneaker world, and much more.

And of course, we see awesome game footage of Telfair at his best.

Hardship and the grim economics of being a poor kid in a tough hool is a prevailing theme in the film. As is the goal of being rich, buying cars for loved ones, ruling the world, getting a shoe deal, making the NBA and living a dream that countless kids around the globe have dreamed.

What's more important, getting an education or making millions of dollars before the age of 21? Watching this story unfold is fascinating.

I've seen almost every basketball movie/documentary that's come out in the last 30 years, and Through The Fire is one of the only ones that kept my attention from start to finish. Every minute interested me.

The film was a Spotlight Selection in the 2005 Tribeca Film Festival, Winner of Best Documentary in the 2005 Urbanworld Film Festival, and Audience Award Winner of Best Documentary in the 2005 AFI Fest.

Ryan Jones of Slam Magazine recently praised the film: "With incredible access and insight, Through The Fire illuminates one young star's hoop dreams and hard-knock realities," said Jones. "Thoroughly compelling and guaranteed to make you Sebastian Telfair's biggest fan."

I definitely recommend all basketball fans catch Through The Fire. Go see it tonight or this weekend.

5FootCarrot
09-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Just thought I'd share a couple of things...

I'm sure hoops junkies will get a real kick out of the following scene from the "Homer gets an ACL and sets up a daycare" episode of The Simpsons:

(Grandpa Simpson and Mr. Burns are playing "Basketball for Seniors" at the Springfield Y)

Mr. Burns: (scores and gloats that he is in the lead)
Grandpa: Yeah, well, it's your turn to get the ball out of the peach basket.

On the other hand, hoops junkies might not really like the movie John Tucker Must Die. The character of John Tucker is a star player on his high school basketball team and as far as being true-to-life goes, the basketball parts in the movie are always too good to be believable. That's not my complaint about this movie, though. The worst occurred in this scene:

JOHN TUCKER: (flirting with girl standing on sidelines, dribbling the ball and keeping it away from the opposing players) blah blah blah...
5FOOTCARROT: (watching the movie and having a conniption) YOU'RE WASTING THE SHOT CLOCK, FOOL!

In fairness to the filmmakers, they showed the scoreboard after that part and it turns out that it was the final seconds of the game, so there was no shot clock being wasted. Still, the final seconds of the game were being wasted!

(Dapat kasi sa akin nakipaglandian si John Tucker e ;D)

Mel
09-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Hiindi pa ba nabanggit yung "He got game"
Jesus!

bluebruiser90
09-29-2006, 11:24 AM
There was a basketball movie in the '70's that featured the Big J and the Superstar. Pero iba ang storyline, coach na si alamat..ng midgets team. Of course with the hodge podge of light drama, action, comedy with the ending of Jawo's team winning on a last second shot.

bluebruiser90
09-29-2006, 11:28 AM

I remember watching a documentary on an old local cable news channel about Feihl.
Also featured the 7'3" Raul Dillo, who went on to suit up for FEU and San Juan, without really playing.

'Yun ang talagang sayang.

Also, the 6'9" Danny Jumamil of Adamson. I heard of him in 1998, when he went home to Mindanao due to "personal matters".

Heto walang may alam:

Name the college basketball player who played the alien in the Monsour Del Rosario Predator copy cat movie shown in the '90's?

Clue: Big man siya (6'8").

bluebruiser90
09-29-2006, 11:33 AM

Saw that movie when I was a kid.* What I remember was that he was put in the last minutes of the game and scored 14 straight points to lead his team to a victory.* Then one of the last scenes was of him talking to his coach or athletic moderator saying that he wanted to leave the team.

Was Robbie Benson in any other significant movie after "One on One"?* The only other noteworthy leading man credit for Benson thatI can remember is for his voice over of the Prince in the 1992 Disney animated movie "Beauty and the Beast".

AnthonyServinio
09-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Heto walang may alam:

Name the college basketball player who played the alien in the Monsour Del Rosario Predator copy cat movie shown in the '90's?

Froilan "Roy" Nebre, not sure what college it was but it was a Division III -- something like Perpetual Help-Manila or something.

cricohermoso
09-29-2006, 12:23 PM
There was a basketball movie in the '70's that featured the Big J and the Superstar.* Pero iba ang storyline, coach na si alamat..ng midgets team.* Of course with the hodge podge of light drama, action, comedy with the ending of Jawo's team winning on a last second shot.

Double Dribol? (not the maricel soriano-alvin patrimonio version)

bluebruiser90
09-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Heto walang may alam:

Froilan "Roy" Nebre, not sure what college it was but it was a Division III -- something like Perpetual Help-Manila or something.

Sabi na at ikaw lang ang makakalam nito Anthony. Sobrang hardcore na yan! Well that's him alright, Froilan "PU" Nebre. Of ocurse you wouldn't recognize him with the costume he wore.* Perpetual Help College - Manila nga. Then did a stint with the Philippine Air Force's Special Service Unit.* I didn't get it at first why everyone was calling him Bangis during scrimmages.* I last saw him in 2000 working as a security personnel at the RCBC Plaza.* Arguably the biggest doorman in the Philippines.* I also heard that he already passed away.

vickster
09-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Not exactly a movie but shown on the silver screen nonetheless -- I remember the newspapers calling it a "super roadshow presentation" -- the 1979 NBA finals between the Seattle Supersonics and the Washington Bullets. The Sonics were led by Jack Sikma, Dennis Johnson, Gus Williams, John Johnson and Lonnie Shelton while the Bullets, the defending champions, were led by Wes Unsled, Elvin Hayes, and Bob Dandridge. Was one of my first exposures to big time hoops and that sucked me in big time too!

Mel
10-02-2006, 10:08 AM
There was a basketball movie in the '70's that featured the Big J and the Superstar. Pero iba ang storyline, coach na si alamat..ng midgets team. Of course with the hodge podge of light drama, action, comedy with the ending of Jawo's team winning on a last second shot.

Title of the movie is "Kamachile Dribblers"

Love interest si jawo in the movie of Nora Aunor.
Nora's kid brother was in the team.

Mel
10-02-2006, 10:20 AM
^ I was saw an Mon Fernandez life story which touches on how he discovered basketball or, if the story is true, how basketball discovered him. I saw this during lent last year on cable TV. It was a good sacrifice as I had to endure bad acting all thourghout :D

Movie was not only about Mon Fernandez..it was actually about a basketball club formed in the 70s and the
story of how the players were picked took on the plot of their real path to stardom.
In the movie were:

1. Yoyong Martirez- discovered after he raced against a carabao in Iloilo
2. Francis Arnaiz- son of landed bacolodian mestizo recruited by a Jesuit
3. Mon Fernandez- gangling big man from Leyte; mahilig sa chicks
4. Tembong Melencio- nakita matapos makipagsuntukan sa mga nakapustahan niya sa laro sa halfcourt sa Tondo
5.* Bogs Adornado-

...there are at least 3 more players in the team na hindi ko maalala.

The movie begins when Mon Fernandez found himself in the YMCA or Pope Pius dorm w/ roommate Bogs Adornado.
Mon got his baptism of fire, I guess, in that dorm.

bluebruiser90
10-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Hindi ba parang docu yan ng RP Youth Team nina Fernandez?

Howard the Duck
10-02-2006, 11:58 AM
I watched "Dobol Dribol" with Alvin Patrimonio as a kid :p

Mel
10-02-2006, 03:02 PM

Hindi siya docu. Pelikula siya talaga with a plot. May mga leading ladies pa nga sila eh.
From what I remember, it had "Stars" in the title.

bluebruiser90
10-02-2006, 05:00 PM

Hindi siya docu. Pelikula siya talaga with a plot. May mga leading ladies pa nga sila eh.
From what I remember, it had "Stars" in the title.

Of course pelikula a yung treatment pero loosely based on the RP Youth team.* Parang na feature yung background nung players na nakasama sa Youth team.* May elbow room na din for interpreatation of course for cinematic appeal.

Ang naalala ko sa movie na yan:

1) Yung karera laban sa kalabaw ni Yong Martirez
2) Nakikipagsuntukan si Tembong Melencio pagkatapos magkatablahan sa pusta sa basketball
3) Binibigyan ng incentive si Bogs Adornado ng tatay niya kapag nakaka score siya

WampumTribe
04-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Ito, movie-in-the-making . . .

Has the story of Jason McElwain, the autistic "shooting star," reached the Philippines? It happened over a year ago but thanks to the power of YouTube, it's received constant airplay in the US over the past couple of months and will soon be made into a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=autistic+basketball&search=Search

irateluvmachine
08-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Blue Chips is a story about a coach of a fictional university played by Nick Nolte who, pressured to come up with a winning season, recruits three core players led by and portrayed by Shaquille O’Neal and Anfernee Hardaway. Their recruitment comes at a steep price, with Nolte’s character, Coach Bell, finally turning a blind eye to violations committed by alumni (purchasing a house, a tractor for the players’ relatives and giving large sums of money) in order to get the three players on board. After winning their first game of the season, Bell’s conscience breaks, and spills all before the media.

great movie, horrible acting from (some of) the ballplayers. matt nover (former indiana backup forward) as the larry bird-clone ricky roe is an even worse actor than shaq! :D at least penny hardaway was decent...same with the guy who played tony (erstwhile top scorer before the "blue chips" arrived)...

5FootCarrot
06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
"Gunnin' For That #1 Spot," a documentary about the high school elite game held at Rucker Park in 2006, is directed and produced by Adam "MCA" Yauch of the Beastie Boys.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080626/ap_en_ce/film_q_a_adam_yauch;_ylt=AljsPWLm6NRirCr6yy8JhkNdD xkF

john_paul_manahan
06-27-2008, 11:03 AM
btw, the AFI named their top10 movies of the sports genre:

4 Hoosiers.