PDA

View Full Version : The Letran Squires

arriba95
03-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Mga kapwa ko Dugong Arriba, lets talk about our young ones...

To start things off, let me take my hat off to Mr. Elmer Latonio,
one of the architects of the resurgence of the Squires in the NCAA.
Arriba!

esjay
03-24-2006, 03:31 PM
The J.R. Reyes future ends up with UP fighting maroons

esjay
03-24-2006, 03:38 PM

Letran Squires Juniors Division Championships
1928, 1929, 1930, 1932, 1948, 1957, 1979, 1983, 1985, 2002

arriba95
03-24-2006, 04:08 PM

Its 2001 bro...

A tribute to the 2001 Champion Team:

JR Reyes (MVP,ROY,Defensive Player,etc.)
JC Intal
OJ Cua
Mark Balneg
Chuck Ronquillo
RJ Jazul

and the rest of the team! and of course the coaching staff

Honorable mention to the 2000 Team (1st Runner-up)

Ronjay Enrile
Boyet Bautista
Ira Gilberto Buyco
Billy Ray Anabo

...sa kanilang lahat!
This team swept the elims (14-0!)
but were swept in the finals by the Mapua Red Robins (tsk..tsk)

Still, congrats to you guys... esp to ronjay, the main man of that team

Credit also goes to the 2002 team (runners-up to the red cubs)

OJ Cua
PJ Walsham
Marlon Bituin
Dancal
Bogart Melegrito

...et. al.

MonL
03-24-2006, 05:31 PM
How about the All-time greatest Squires?

From the 70s:

Mon San Juan
Terry Saldaña
Gerry Gonzales
Dwight Chua
Erwin Bola-bola (Shot 56? points in one NCAA game, the highest in Juniors history. Please correct me kung na re-write na yung record)

esjay
03-24-2006, 05:36 PM

Its 2001 bro...

A tribute to the 2001 Champion Team:

JR Reyes (MVP,ROY,Defensive Player,etc.)
JC Intal
OJ Cua
Mark Balneg
Chuck Ronquillo
RJ Jazul

and the rest of the team! and of course the coaching staff

Honorable mention to the 2000 Team (1st Runner-up)

Ronjay Enrile
Boyet Bautista
Ira Gilberto Buyco
Billy Ray Anabo

...sa kanilang lahat!
This team swept the elims (14-0!)
but were swept in the finals by the Mapua Red Robins (tsk..tsk)

Still, congrats to you guys... esp to ronjay, the main man of that team

Credit also goes to the 2002 team (runners-up to the red cubs)

OJ Cua
PJ Walsham
Marlon Bituin
Dancal
Bogart Melegrito

...et. al.

yah thanks for the correction ...

bonzie1645
03-24-2006, 09:56 PM
sa squires... ineexpect ko magiging maliit ang team nila this coming ncaa season dahil 3 lang natira sa team dahil 11 of those players are graduating. the squires now will rely on the 3 players jun alas, lester alvarez and john garrido.

esjay
03-27-2006, 02:03 PM
sa squires... ineexpect ko magiging maliit ang team nila this coming ncaa season dahil 3 lang natira sa team dahil 11 of those players are graduating. the squires now will rely on the 3 players jun alas, lester alvarez and john garrido.*

GREEN WILL DON THE HONORS

ESCALERA JR.
03-27-2006, 08:22 PM
So is the Letran Squires team still* in the fight next season?... with a depleted line-up and the exodus of Tagarda and co., only Green will be the most experience of the lot. Sayang talaga yung team last year, kung hindi sana na invalidate yung mga laro dahil sa protesta, baka tayo sana ang nasa finals, Jrs. and Srs. Well, coaches should look over their players and advise them not to play in any tournament during the NCAA calendar

oca
03-28-2006, 08:00 AM
So is the Letran Squires team still* in the fight next season?... with a depleted line-up and the exodus of Tagarda and co., only Green will be the most experience of the lot. Sayang talaga yung team last year, kung hindi sana na invalidate yung mga laro dahil sa protesta, baka tayo sana ang nasa finals, Jrs. and Srs. Well, coaches should look over their players and advise them not to play in any tournament during the NCAA calendar

Just curious, "Bakit hindi na si Jing Ruiz ang coach ng Juniors?"

I noticed though that after the forfeiture of the Squires' wins last season, the disposition of Ruiz had become dolorous.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-28-2006, 10:49 AM
I noticed though that after the forfeiture of the Squires' wins last season, the disposition of Ruiz had become dolorous.

Forfeiture of Squires' wins? Pardon my ignorance mga pare pero anong kwento dito? Di ko ata ito nabalitaan? Anyone who can shed light into this? Thanks.

esjay
03-28-2006, 11:13 AM

Forfeiture of Squires' wins? Pardon my ignorance mga pare pero anong kwento dito? Di ko ata ito nabalitaan? Anyone who can shed light into this? Thanks.
]

YES ... if my memory serves me right, this was the case of a cager who played for a barangay league during the on going pre game season, where the ncaa players are prohibited of doing so

bchoter
03-28-2006, 11:22 AM

It was discovered that one of the squires was playing in a different league simultaneous with the NCAA season. I heard two versions of the story. One is that coach Joe Lipa, who was last season's commissioner and a consultant to that league, caught the boy. While another version pf the story is that somebody saw him on cable TV. The other league, which is a Destiny Cable sponsored league, was shown on cable tv.

chba_dude
03-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Actually Ato Badolato was the commissioner/consultant of the league the kid played in. Sayang nga coz the Squires were playing well last year. Baka sila pa nga ang nakatalo sa Staglets.

bchoter
03-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Actually Ato Badolato was the commissioner/consultant of the league the kid played in. Sayang nga coz the Squires were playing well last year. Baka sila pa nga ang nakatalo sa Staglets.
I stand corrected. Coach Badolato nga was the commissioner/consultant while coaching the Red Cubs in the NC

bonzie1645
03-28-2006, 06:22 PM

Just curious, "Bakit hindi na si Jing Ruiz ang coach ng Juniors?"

as i expected may magtatanong kung bakit wala na si coach jing? di ko yan masasagot dahil hindi naman ako invovled dun sa pagfafire sa kanya magandang tanungin nyo dyan si fr.vic or si fr.lao para malaman nyo yung tunay na dahilan. c darrel green kasama po dun sa aalis na 11. alas, alvarez and garrido na lang natira.

oca
03-31-2006, 11:36 AM

Not one to dwell on the past...but last year's Squires was a real championship caliber team. They were the only team to beat eventual champion Staglets in the eliminations and they did it twice.

Actually, may pagka contra-pelo ang labanan last year. Squires beat the Staglets twice. The Staglets beat the Red Cubs twice rin. The Red Cubs won over the Squires two times, the second on a buzzer beater. All elimination games. All very, very close games.

But the Squires had a 3rd loss when they were upset by PCU-Union. Kaya at the end of elimination, the Cubs and the Staglets were tied for first,Squires at third and PCU fourth. There was a playoff macth between the Cubs and the Staglets to determine the pairings in the final 4. The Cubs won that one. Kaya Squires kontra Staglets sana sa F4. But even before the F4 pairings could be determined, nandoon na yung protest sa isang player ng Squires.

How and why one NC' juniors player suited up for another tournament was never discussed in any forum. But I am sure lessons were learned. Painful one a that.

Ngayon, rebuilding uli ang Squires.....I am looking forward to their stint at the FMC 2006 Summer league. This has always been a good barometer of how teams will fare come the NCAA and UAAP. I hope the Squires do well in here.

ESCALERA JR.
03-31-2006, 09:55 PM
Rules are rules thats why they were made in the first place. So i think the protest against the squire in question was a valid one. Masakit para sa Letran, it really was a biiter pill to swallow but i hope lessons were learned from these. Sayang talaga yung pinaghirapang isang taong praktis, we were almost at the peak tapos malalaglag lang because of the stupidity of one. Probably this is one of the reasons why coach Ruiz was "sacked", i really am not privy of the goings on in the Squires corner. But all is well.., hope they can bounce back.

bombet
04-21-2006, 12:49 AM

From the 70s:

Mon San Juan
Terry Saldaña
Gerry Gonzales
Dwight Chua
Erwin Bola-bola (Shot 56? points in one NCAA game, the highest in Juniors history. Please correct me kung na re-write na yung record)

Did any of the squires ever won the MVP award in the NCAA juniors aside from Enrile, Reyes, and Cua? Majority of MVP awardees are either Red Cubs or Red Robins.

bombet
04-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Rules are rules thats why they were made in the first place. So i think the protest against the squire in question was a valid one. Masakit para sa Letran, it really was a biiter pill to swallow but i hope lessons were learned from these. Sayang talaga yung pinaghirapang isang taong praktis, we were almost at the peak tapos malalaglag lang because of the stupidity of one. Probably this is one of the reasons why coach Ruiz was "sacked", i really am not privy of the goings on in the Squires corner. But all is well.., hope they can bounce back.

There's a rule in the UAAP regarding eligibility issues. Protests can only prosper before the end of the 1st round of eliminations. Does this apply to the NCAA?

skywalker
04-21-2006, 11:09 AM
So who's the Squires right now?

Rektikano
04-21-2006, 05:39 PM

From the 70s:

Mon San Juan
Terry Saldaña
Gerry Gonzales
Dwight Chua

Did any of the squires ever won the MVP award in the NCAA juniors aside from Enrile, Reyes, and Cua? Majority of MVP awardees are either Red Cubs or Red Robins.

If I'm not mistaken, Alvin Magpantay won it in 1990.

ESCALERA JR.
05-18-2006, 04:17 PM
i READ SOMEWHERE THAT FORMER SQUIRE lUCAS tagarda IS OUT OF THE lETRAN VARSITY TEAM.

Has he been playing for the UST Tigers in this summer's FMC? Sayang itong batang ito, he might be the next point man for letran if ever wala na si Boyet B. Pwede rin poster boy or team captain since homegrown siya, at least meron sanang tayong player na mukhang estydyante! heheheh. I just hope Daryl Green stays with the team.

Out_Of_The_Blue
05-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Both Green and Tagarda tried out with Ateneo kasabay nila Eric Salamat and Borgie Hermida. Unfortunately, only Eric returned to the 2nd practise date and was eventually considered by Coach Norman for the team.

oca
05-19-2006, 08:12 AM
i READ SOMEWHERE THAT FORMER SQUIRE lUCAS tagarda IS OUT OF THE lETRAN VARSITY TEAM.

Has he been playing for the UST Tigers in this summer's FMC?* Sayang itong batang ito, he might be the next point man for letran if ever wala na si Boyet B. Pwede rin poster boy or team captain since homegrown siya, at least meron sanang tayong player na mukhang estydyante! heheheh. I just hope Daryl Green stays with the team.

I was at the UST-DLSU FMC game, and TAGARDA did suit up for the Tigers. If we go by the number of minutes Jarencio gave him, that's even before the melee started w/c resulted to expulsions, then we should expect him in the UAAP roster. Tiyak na magiging poster boy yan ng UST Tigers.

BTW, where is GREEN? I haven't seen him play all summer. Though I saw him in the company of other Squires during the Homegrown tournament. But he wasn't in uniform, nanood lang.

ESCALERA JR.
07-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Whatever happened to our SQUIRES? Wala na bang magandang balita kundi puro talo, where is Daryl Green? Who is the go to guy, where is coach Jing...Who is the Jrs. coach? Kabaligtaran ang nanyayari sa Juniors naten,,sweep din ata, sa talo!!! Hoy gising mga High School!!!

Peakyrinds
10-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Pede Magtanong cnong line up ng Letran Squires?

blue scorpion
10-27-2006, 10:51 AM
where is coach Jing...Who is the Jrs. coach?

Coach Jing is an assistant coach of Adamson.

Joescoundrel
02-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Season 82 Mythical 5 forward JULIUS WONG seems to be making phantom appearances in the Loyola Heights and Diliman areas.

Don't the Knights want to keep this very talented Squire?

oca
02-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Season 82 Mythical 5 forward JULIUS WONG seems to be making phantom appearances in the Loyola Heights and Diliman areas.

Don't the Knights want to keep this very talented Squire?

It is not the practice of Alas to take in college freshmen into his team. That's the same reason why Tagarda moonlighted at UST, and Green was never seen at play after Season 81. Considering that these two, IMO, are much better players than Wong, yet were not given outright spots. Kaya, don't be surprised if talented Squires do take their chances at other schools.

As posted many times by different people, "...for any kid coming out of highschool, the thought of playing college ball right off his freshman year is just too exciting a proposition to just let go..."

arriba95
02-21-2007, 03:47 PM
bakit ganon, hindi ba dapat i-prioritize ng team knights ang mga galing sa squires? whatever happened to the "proud to be homegrown" mantra?

actually, mas maganda nga sana kung mas grassroots ang approach ng letran sa development ng athletes, not only sa basketball but sa lahat ng sports disciplines. it wud be a lot better f sa grade school pa lang, those with potentials should be tapped and harnessed. there should be participation and exposure in major tournaments. after they finish GS, dapat may effort to keep them from moving to other schools. so pag HS na sila, merong pool from which to pick players for the squires in the NC. this process will go on until they reach college and eventually graduate and have the option to be a professional athlete. at kung hindi man, they have the solid dominican formation and education to fall back on.

napansin ko kasi, puro hugot at recruit from anywhere ang ginagawa both for the squires and the knights. its not that i condemn this...maayos din nmn ang recruitment program ng letran. but it wud open a lot more opportunities kung may products tayo ng grassroots program at may mga talented recruits pa rin from the outside. hindi nmn cguro magiging problema ang funds, anjan nmn yan di ba father OPs? ;D

LION
02-21-2007, 04:23 PM
^ Mas gusto ni Alas na kumuha ng players na may "experience" na sa collegiate competition. Fresh HS graduates are usually lacking in height, heft and skills. Normally, kailangan mag pahinog sila ng 1 o 2 taon (yung iba 3 taon) para kayanin nilang makipagsabayan sa mga mas senior na players. Of course, there are HS talents who are really exceptional and can create impact in their first year like LA Tenorio and Ren Ren Ritualo.

A good example of Letran's "experienced" recruits are JP Alcaraz and Mark Andaya. Recruiting "experienced" players is not necessarily bad. However, you have to balance it with the recruitment of talented squires and fresh HS grads from other schools to ensure that your team is competitive year in and year out. Plus, it gives a positive image to the school.

oca
02-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Tama nga ba yung naisulat sa isang forum, that Green still has NOT graduated from hs. Worse, he is again in peril of NOT passing and NOT graduating this academic year.

Kasabayan ito nila Hermida. As a Squire in Season81, the kid was a varsity grade player. Pagpasok ng summer, ang daming nagtatanong saan siya maglalaro. Pero walang nilaruan na kahit anong highprofile hadrcore tournament that summer of 2006.

Then unti-unti, nakalimutan na ng marami...

I wish to see him playing again. Dahil pag nakita natin uli maglaro yan, ibig sabihin maayos na ang grades niya. Hindi yan bibigyan ng clearane maglaro ng Fr.Rector kung hindi. Which should appropriately be the case.

Nanghihinayang ako sa talent na nabuburo sa sidelines. :( :( :( :(

ESCALERA JR.
02-24-2007, 11:27 AM
^This seems to be the case in D.Greene, and there seems to be no effort on the part of the kid to reform...relying mostly on his ability to play good basketball and nothing more. Such a pitiful scenario. All those basketball talent going to waste, all going to his head.

Attitute problem is another issue. If he continues with this behaviour, walang kahihintnan...he will just have to learn the hard way. Bata pa naman, still a lot of time. Hope he realizes this, the sooner, the better for him. Kung hindi pa siya makapaglaro kahit saan man team nxt season, eventually his name will be erased and forgetten sa dami ng mga nagsusulputang basketbolista.

Sam Miguel
04-16-2007, 11:59 AM
How could Letran let go of Season 82 Mythical Teamer and future superstar JULIUS WONG? It seems the boy is now over at Dimilan...

oca
04-16-2007, 01:27 PM
How could Letran let go of Season 82 Mythical Teamer and future superstar JULIUS WONG? It seems the boy is now over at Dimilan...

As I have stated many times, "Kids just want to play."

Alas/ Letran has rarely elevated Squires to the Seniors right off their college freshman year. Even the likes of Boyet Bautista and Balneg had to sit out a year.

If he has been assured of a spot at UP, w/c is unlikely to be given by Alas at Letran, huwag na tayo magtaka.

Kung may pagkakataon yan mag-laro AGAD tulad ng makukuha niya sa UP, di-magdadalawang isip at lilipat nga ng paaralan ang bata.( Hindi pa kasali sa usapan na susuportahan pa yan ng pamilya dahil magiging isang Isko na siya. )

ESCALERA JR.
07-03-2007, 03:38 PM
SQUIRES upsets 2-time Jrs champs Staglets...

just when you thought our squires will never have a chance, then suddenly this news.

Mukhang yung dalawang bata ni ALAS, getting to feel the lucky charm of their coach/father.

Sana nga!!!

LION
07-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Congrats to the Squires.* Letran basically made* the blue print on how to beat the Staglets.* Stop Arvie and/or Ryan Buenafe.* Kung hindi kayang pigilan yung 2, kahit yung isa lang (Arvie Bringas). That way, mahihirapan si Ryan to carry the load just by himself.

Let Ryan do his thing. He is hard to stop anyway because of* his wide arsenal of offensive moves.* Arvie is the easier player to stop because of his limited offensive skills.* He just relies on his height and heft for the easy two pointers.* If you box him out to stop or limit his offensive rebounding, kahit tumira pa yan ng tumira sa 10 feet and beyond hindi na makaka shoot yan. Let him earn his points away from the ring.

Of course, it is easier said than done. Arvie perhaps is the biggest center in the NCAA juniors today.

I just hope we can duplicate this feat. ;D

ESCALERA JR.
07-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Whaaat!! SQUIRES tinambakan ang Red Cubs!

Winning against the perrenial jr.champs is not really impossible but winning by a big margin is a bit surprising.

LION, ano na ba nanyayari sa juniors niyo ??? Kung kelan lumakas ang Red Lions saka naman nagtatalo ang mga Red Cubs.

Well, ganon talaga, you can't have everyting ;D

christian
07-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Hehehe ok lang yan sir, like what they say "hindi laging pasko" see you next round :)

LION
07-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Whaaat!! SQUIRES tinambakan ang Red Cubs!

Winning against the perrenial jr.champs is not really impossible but winning by a big margin is a bit surprising.

LION, ano na ba nanyayari sa juniors niyo ???* Kung kelan lumakas ang Red Lions saka naman nagtatalo ang mga Red Cubs.

Well, ganon talaga, you can't have everyting ;D

Hahahaha! Ganun talaga ang buhay. Bawi na lang kami. Ipa pirate na lang namin yung mga juniors niyo pati yung anak ni Alas. ;D

Payag kaya si Alas? Sabihin namin sa kanya na mas may chance makaranas ng championship yung anak niya pag lumipat sa amin? ;D Malamang babambuhin kami nun hehehe.

Seriously, this is a major turnaround for the Squires considering that they were the weakest team last season. Hayup yung anak ni Alas. Iniskoran ng 40 points yung mga Red Cubs namin.

ESCALERA JR.
07-12-2007, 06:06 PM
^Package deal ang mga Alas ;D Pag-expire ng kontrata, kunin niyo ang ama tiyak bitbit ung dalawa.
pero meron pang pangatlo(bunso) balita ko pinakamalufet!!!...samen na yon :D

See you on july 25 @ Araneta?Cuneta?saan ba talaga ang laban naten ????

ESCALERA JR.
07-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Another win for the LetranSQUIRES :)

SQUIRES of Letran and KNIGHTS of Letran.

Both at the TOP of the Standings

A R R I B A :D

mighty_lion
07-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Paging UAAP Teams. Paging UAAP Teams. Anyone interested in recruiting the Alas brothers. ;D ;D ;D Baka sapatusin ako ni Escalera.

Congrats to the Squires! Mas maganda sana kung Knights-Lions Seniors and Juniors sa finals.

ESCALERA JR.
07-17-2007, 03:21 PM
^Naku, kung sakali magkaka-ganon, aba eh baka mapaluwas kami bigla ni leon danny sa pinas ng di oras ;D

goodluck na lang sa july25.

christian
07-17-2007, 03:47 PM
It still is a surprising start for CSJL, both the Squires and the Knights, it just shows how developed they're basketball program is. We're headed that way ;D Good luck to both of your teams.

Wang-Bu
07-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Paging UAAP Teams. Paging UAAP Teams. Anyone interested in recruiting the Alas brothers.* ;D ;D ;D Baka sapatusin ako ni Escalera.

Congrats to the Squires! Mas maganda sana kung Knights-Lions Seniors and Juniors sa finals.

Basta may patoma kahit sino pang manalo. ;D

ESCALERA JR.
08-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Goodness gracious...LetranSquires nearing the finals and maybe winning the championship, the last one in 2001 with JR-JC tandem now playing for the pros.

Maraming pwedeng i-elevate sa Knighthood after their hs stint. Huwag sanang ma-pirata. 8)

letranense1620
08-24-2007, 08:37 AM
May laro yata ngayon ang Squires against the defending champs San Sebastian Staglets.

Arriba Letran!!!

ESCALERA JR.
09-13-2007, 08:22 PM
May laro yata ngayon ang Squires against the defending champs San Sebastian Staglets.

Arriba Letran!!!

One more chance!!!!one more chance...all we need is one more chance.... ;D

bugleboy
09-14-2007, 08:42 PM
^well, we've got the chance now. hope the squires don't waste it.

btw, napaghahalata ang edad ha, escalera. ;D

ESCALERA JR.
09-15-2007, 05:59 AM
bugleboy, mukhang alam mo rin yung lyrics nun ha ;D

Are the Alas bros. and Noble still playing for the squires next season?

If not, i hope they stay on and become Knights para may continuity ang systema nila lalo na yang 3.

Ganda tignan sa line-up na mayroon tayong 'trio ALAS', ko-JACK melegrito and bryan "KING" Fauuuunnndddo!* *8)

WELL DONE LETRAN S Q U I R E S and Goodluck!

WELL DONE LETRAN K N I G H T S ... A R R I B A !

mighty_lion
09-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Congrats to Squires!
Goodluck sa laban nyo against Staglets.

oca
09-16-2007, 05:56 PM
bugleboy, mukhang alam mo rin yung lyrics nun ha ;D

Are the Alas bros. and Noble still playing for the squires next season?

If not, i hope they stay on and become Knights para may continuity ang systema nila lalo na yang 3.

Ganda tignan sa line-up na mayroon tayong 'trio ALAS', ko-JACK melegrito and bryan "KING" Fauuuunnndddo! 8)

WELL DONE LETRAN S Q U I R E S and Goodluck!

WELL DONE LETRAN K N I G H T S ... A R R I B A !

Both Alas bros are playing next year as they are both in third year hs now. Si Noble naman, sa pagkakalam ko ay kasalukuyang 4th yr hs.

bladerunner
09-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Good Luck to the Squires!

ARRIBA LETRAN!!!
BEAT BASTE!!!

Joescoundrel
03-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Are the Alas Brothers going to be promoted to the Knights' NCAA regular lineup?

How about JM Noble? He can probably be Letran's own version of UP's Woody Co if he develops a better jump shot.

Rafiboy_05
05-22-2008, 08:36 PM
any news about Noble? sabi wala na daw siya sa La Salle ngayon

nastrans
05-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Still on the DLSU lineup as of the moment although DNP siya sa Nike.

Since this is about the Squires, they have been struggling in the NSL tournament, losing to the likes of San Beda Alabang and had close calls against several teams. The positive sign is that Kevin Alas is due for another monster year for the Letran juniors.

ESCALERA JR.
05-30-2008, 06:52 PM
The Letran Squires waxing hot at the Off season...Fr Marin and Nike tourney.

1sang bwan na lang labanan na naman sa NCAA ;D

Arriba SQUIRES

cub
06-01-2008, 05:57 PM
just heard from Ed Picson that the Squires beat the Eaglets in NCBL(?).

ESCALERA JR.
06-02-2008, 03:17 PM
just heard from Ed Picson that the Squires beat the Eaglets in NCBL(?).

Letran Squires beating the Ateneo Eaglets twice in a row in the FCBL and Fr. Martin...both come from behind wins.

They meet again, this time sa Nike Summer League.

Well done S Q UI R E S :)

ESCALERA JR.
06-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Congratulations to the LETRAN SQUIRES for winning the

FCBL against the UAAP' Ateneo Eaglets

and

Fr. Martins Cup against the mighty SSC Staglets.

Arriba!

Joescoundrel
06-11-2008, 08:27 AM
^ Make that DOUBLE Congratulations!

Please check out the details in the Fr Martin Cup 2008 Summer tournament thread in the FMC Forum.

Kevin Alas would you like to study in Loyola Heights...? ;D

ESCALERA JR.
06-11-2008, 11:10 AM
^ Make that DOUBLE Congratulations!

Please check out the details in the Fr Martin Cup 2008 Summer tournament thread in the FMC Forum.

Kevin Alas would you like to study in Loyola Heights...? ;D

Joe, dapat tatay ang tinatanong diyan ;D

The father-coach is tied up with the Knights for another 3-4 years, kaya siguro si Alas nalang ang ligawan kung gusto mag-coach sa Loyola H.

Buy one take one :)

bchoter
06-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Ang tagal ng kamayan ni coach Pido at coach Louie pagkatapos ng Letran-UST tune-up game kanina. Parang nagbubulungan pa. Tapos umaaligid yung anak ni coach. Baka tinanong ni coach Louie kung pano mag try out sa Ateneo :D

LION
06-11-2008, 11:24 AM
To all UAAP teams:

Sige lang i-recruit nyo ang mag-ama. the sooner the better. :-X

bchoter
06-11-2008, 11:28 AM
^ Ambot. Kahit naman nandiyan siya di niyo naman alintana. Mukhang tatatluhan niyo pa ;)

ESCALERA JR.
06-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Aba naman si pareng LION ey ginatungan pa!

Sige ka baka sa Lions Den mag tryout yan mapaisip kayo ;D

Pero sorry na lang mga repapips...ang mag-ama ay NAKATALI NA SA MGA PADER INTRAMUROS 8)

....but only if the price is right ::)

lekiboy
06-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Aba naman si pareng LION ey ginatungan pa!

Sige ka baka sa Lions Den mag tryout yan mapaisip kayo ;D

Pero sorry na lang mga repapips...ang mag-ama ay NAKATALI NA SA MGA PADER* INTRAMUROS 8)

....but only if the price is right* ::)

boss,

ang anak daw pwede---ang tatay, pag-iisipan pa...hehehe

bchoter
06-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Diba may MVP roots yung ama? O hindi pa under MVP ang TnT nung panahon niya? O baka naman sore pa rin si MVP sa pag draft kay Victolero :D

Nga pala. Muntik ng magkasuntukan kanina sa UST-SJLC tune up game. Sabi ni coach Louie to somebody in particular (na hindi ko namukhaan kung sino) after giving him specific instructions "Suntukin na kita eh. Sabi ko sayo dun ka lang sa harap niya (referring to Allera)". He again repeated it after calling the player to the sidelines.

HJindi naman nagpahuli so Coach Pido. To Carlos: "Gago ka dito palang nanghampas ka na (referring to their exchange with Jazul at mid court) tapos blah blah blah (I didn't get to hear it clearly). Bisita ka dito. Gago ka sapakin kita eh. Mag sorry ka sa kanilang lahat... LAHAT!".

christian
06-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Ayos! pang UFC! Hehehe

arriba95
06-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Letran bags FCBL crown

Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 02:54:00 06/05/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Letran College stunned erstwhile unbeaten Ateneo de Manila University, 87-81, in the finals to capture the Mighty Sports Filipino-Chinese Basketball League (FCBL) Freego Jeans Cup crown last Saturday at the Philippine Buddhacare Academy gym.

The Squires crawled back from an 11-point halftime deficit and banked on Jerelan Tampus and Joshel Sumang in the final 20 minutes to complete their mighty comeback in a thrilling one-game championship match.
Tampus and Sumang combined for 51 points to lead Letran.

Juami Tiongson netted 22 points for the Blue Eaglets, who swept the elimination round to emerge as the No. 1 seed only to be halted in the finals by the Squires of coach Elmer Latonio.

In the battle for third place, the Jose Rizal University Light Bombers leaned on the 34-point explosion from Keith Jasper Agovida to demolish the Far Eastern University Baby Tams, 89-79, in the tournament also supported by Old Chinatown Kopitiam, Dickies Underwear, Mighty Filter King, f’g, First Team Sports Mktg., Elysian Ent., Clincher Packaging Tape and Dumbo Construction Supply.

Chris Tolomia finished with 23 points while Russel Escoto chipped in 19 for FEU-Fern.

Before the game, the league named its Mythical Five composed of Tampus and Glenn Khobuntin of Letran, JRU’s Agovida, Escoto and Jayvee Dumrique of Ateneo.

Earlier, the UST Tiger Cubs whipped the San Beda Red Cubs, 74-43, to end up fifth in the tournament in their consolation game while Xavier thumped Philippine Cultural High School, 89-68, to finish No. 7

-insane-
06-25-2008, 03:41 PM
To all UAAP teams:

Sige lang i-recruit nyo ang mag-ama. the sooner the better.* :-X*

hehehe sama na din ung isang kapatid na nasa seniors na ngaun

Regular Grey
07-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Ganda ng Ipinakita ni JM Noble sa opening ng UAAP. Bigla lang naging UE ang team. Akala ko sa La Salle. Akala ko nga kapatid din. Parang mga alas. Pero talga palang lumipat.

-insane-
07-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Ganda ng Ipinakita ni JM Noble sa opening ng UAAP. Bigla lang naging UE ang team. Akala ko sa La Salle. Akala ko nga kapatid din. Parang mga alas. Pero talga palang lumipat.

sayang nmn di nkuha ng CSJL

Joescoundrel
07-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Aside from Kevin Alas I believe the two forwards - Glenn Kobuntin and Jeff Ongteco - will be serviceable college players. They have the athleticism to make it as hybrid 3/4 types who run, jump and defend all over the place. If they ever develop better triggers and extend their range they might even become all star-level swingmen in college. I see them as being like former Red Cub star Tyrone Bautista or former Blue Eaglet Ken Barracoso. I just hope they get the right kind of training and more focused skills coaching to help them make it to the senior level. No way those two will survive as college 4/5 types and get the easy ones they have in high school.

bugleboy
09-18-2008, 10:00 AM
re the squires, they outlasted the jru light bombers yesterday to gain a finals seat vs. the defending champion ssc staglets.* arriba!*

the box scores: (from www.mb.com.ph):

First Game (Jrs)

LETRAN 94 - Sumang 28, Alas 20, Tampus 19, Khobuntin 11, Roxas 10, Reyes 3, Satairapan 2, Ongteco 1.

JRU 93 - Vigil 23, Agovida 19, Villena 12, Madlangbayan 11, Lontoc 8, Vital 7, Sarte 5, Regis 5, Oliveria 3, Barranco 0, Mathias 0, Yasa 0.

Quarters: 32-24, 52-40, 74-65, 94-93.

-insane-
09-18-2008, 08:59 PM
rematch to sana mapigilan na natin yung staglets

ARRIBA LETRAN beat BASTE

ilovedhay
09-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Interesting juniors final's match up because Letran Squires had previously beat SSC-R Staglets during Fr.Martin Cup Finals last summer, although the Staglets sweep the elimination round this season.

arriba95
09-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Gallant stand by the Squires, 81-83, bowing to the Staglets.

Arriba Letran!

arriba95
09-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Congratulations to the San Sebastian Staglets for accomplishing a rare four-peat.

To the Letran Squires, nothing to be ashamed of, you guys fought til the end.

MABUHAY ANG MGA DUGONG ARRIBA!!! :D

proudknight
09-26-2008, 06:58 PM
any news kung sino magiging KNIGHT sa mga outstanding squires natin? ;D

CM_Punk
09-26-2008, 07:44 PM
I do hope that Kevin Alas and Khobuntin will stay with Letran for college. Those two played a heck of a series against Sen Sebastian, and did really well for their team.

cub
09-26-2008, 07:51 PM
I do hope that Kevin Alas and Khobuntin will stay with Letran for college. Those two played a heck of a series against Sen Sebastian, and did really well for their team.

same goes to Sumang. though mahihirapan yan pagdating sa college because of his height.

The_Big_Cat
09-26-2008, 09:37 PM
I would have to say that:

Kevin Alas is a Ronjay Enrile,
Jaerlan Tampus is a RJ Jazul, and
Glenn Khobuntin is in the mold of either a Nelbert Omolon or James Mangahas.

Letran have got themselves a gold mine in their own backyard.

ESCALERA JR.
09-27-2008, 08:18 AM
^rough diamonds that got away...Noble and Julius Wong. Had they waited one year and played for the Knights, their stars would have started to shine this or the next season.

Still, we need a big man in the mould of Kerby or Mac Andaya to be in the Finals again.

-insane-
09-28-2008, 04:09 PM
hindi talaga sure yung mga jrs players kasi mas malaki talaga offer ng uaap school pero ok lang yun ganun talaga ang buhay pero sana talagang lock na yung magkapatid na alas sa knights

rye112
09-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Sino sino po ba ang gagraduate na sa Letran Squires?

anniegurl
09-30-2008, 12:34 AM
I think last year na ni Sumang. Madami magaling from team B na squires. Ive seen them play sa Fr. Martin.

Rafiboy_05
10-04-2008, 09:42 AM
si Kevin Alas graduating na, si Khobuntin 3rd year pa lang yata. si Sumang graduating na rin.

-insane-
10-06-2008, 10:28 AM
si sumang sana hindi umalis sa bakuran natin magaling pa naman sayang may puso kasi yung bata sa paglalaro kaya kelangan siya ng knights

-insane-
10-26-2008, 09:01 PM
squires daw nag champ sa FMC division II

anniegurl
10-29-2008, 01:25 AM
Yup champion sila sa father martin. I was there. Galing ng ginawa ng squires.

ESCALERA JR.
10-29-2008, 05:01 PM
care to share some highlights of the game anniegurl...who are the new squires in the roster...did the young alas played? ...Was Sumang a monster off the boards?! etc...etc...

Bakit ba ang tipid ninyo magkwento!@?

O.T.

Mga letranista sa gameface (anniegurl, insane, rafiboy atbp...) huwag kayong mahiya dito.

Hindi naman bawal maghayag ng nalalaman ninyo sa larangan ng basketbol. This is a forum, right... !

Pwede naman tagalog kung medyo hirap sa ingles...kung gusto niyo kastila-in pwede rin!.

Puros mga one liner kaya nakakatamad magbasa! Sige lang ng sige

ARRIBA!

Ok back to regular programing...

ESCALERA JR.
10-29-2008, 05:10 PM
;D >:(

anniegurl
10-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Sumang was not there it was team B who played. The squires had a hard time because of the senstivity of the referees you know what I mean :). But still the squires played hard. There's a write up in the FR. Martin topic here in gameface.

ESCALERA JR.
10-30-2008, 02:47 PM
'ata girl, anniegurl!

Kevin did not play as well, annie? Sino ba yung maliit na parang abarrientos daw maglaro?

Now that the core of the Staglets has graduated, maybe the squires can now take it one step higher...Jrs. champs next season!! maybe! :D

anniegurl
10-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Nope purely team B, most of them are new recruits. Which one #8 or #5? Magagaling ang mga point guard ng squires ngayon.

ESCALERA JR.
11-08-2008, 01:57 PM
si sumang sana hindi umalis sa bakuran natin magaling pa naman sayang may puso kasi yung bata sa paglalaro kaya kelangan siya ng knights

The Letran' coaching staff should give a good second look at our top flight Squires like Sumang and Khobuntin...these youngsters should be given the red carpet welcome for their easy access to the Knights Castle or else we might lose them altogether.

We believe in coach Louie Alas but he should try to reconsider his system of having the young Knights-to-be of relegating them to our Team B in their first year.

Hindi naten mapapakinabangan, sayang ang continuity ng mga dating teamates...look at the former Squires that got away like Lucas Tagarda, Noble and Julius Wong. Sayang ang mga ito.

toti_mendiola
11-08-2008, 05:13 PM
If LC wants to retain sumang, then by all means that they should approach the kid right now and maybe sway him from moving to mendiola. He is very eager to join the RL, even joining the early morning practices to signify his serious intentions in joining our squad.

Regular Grey
11-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Naku naman boss toti, bakit mo sinabi yan.

ESCALERA JR.
11-09-2008, 07:49 AM
^

If LC wants to retain sumang, then by all means that they should approach the kid right now and maybe* sway him from moving to mendiola. He is very eager to join the RL, even joining the early morning practices to signify his serious intentions in joining our squad.

Really, is that true? We wish him well kung ganon... but i doubt if he can crack the RL roster immediately at the expense of other waiting Red cubs or team B players.

The only problem i see is the kid just wants to play right away in his first year...kung mabibigyan siya ng slot sa RL den, well and good. Kung hindi naman, siguradong hahanap yan ng ibang team na pwede siyang kunin agad.

toti_mendiola
11-09-2008, 09:42 PM
One thing we admire about the kid is that he is not hoping for an immediate Team Animo inclusion. Basing from what he says, he just want to make it to mendiola . BTW, he is inclined to the fact that there is stiff competition and he will serve and earn his merits in Team Behold.
But of course that remains to be seen and he is still fair game.

-insane-
11-10-2008, 01:36 PM
ay ganun sayang naman pero ganun talaga choice niya yun eh

ESCALERA JR.
11-10-2008, 06:17 PM
One thing we admire about the kid is that he is not hoping for an immediate Team Animo inclusion. Basing from what he says, he just want to make it to mendiola . BTW, he is inclined to the fact that there is stiff competition and he will serve and earn his merits in Team Behold.
But of course that remains to be seen and he is still fair game.

I dont think Sumang would let a year pass by toiling on either the R.L. den or Knights Team B ...and salivating on the sidelines watching season 85 ounfold before his eyes.

With the way his playing, sa tingin ko lang atat na atat maglaro agad ang bata...kaya kungdi makakuha ng slot sa Letran o Sanbeda, maraming pwedeng lipatan yan....baka mapunta pa sa UAAP' Blued or Green or Gold... or maybe sa Marooned school.

toti_mendiola
11-10-2008, 06:34 PM
One thing going against the kid is his height and nowadays, that is one hell of a commodity. And i doubt it if he can immediately crack team A of a particular team unless of course, there is vacancy.

LION
11-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Sumang stopped scrimmaging with the Red Lions already. Whether this is temporary or permanent, no one knows. But hopefully, Coach Alas would reconsider his policy of not taking in fresh HS grads; otherwise, maraming Squires ang aalis ng Muralla.

anniegurl
04-21-2009, 04:22 AM
Sumang daw is with UE. May bagong recruits ang squires. Matangkad yung isa.

christian
04-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Sumang daw is with UE. May bagong recruits ang squires. Matangkad yung isa.

Ano first name? ;D

Regular Grey
04-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Sixto ;D

anniegurl
04-22-2009, 06:38 AM
Goodluck to the Squires they will be representing NCR sa Palarong Pambansa they will be leaving for Tacloban this week.

bchoter
04-24-2009, 07:39 PM
^ Palaro or PRISSA?

anniegurl
04-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Sorry but Im not sure what it's called but the games will be in Tacloban Leyte.

Joescoundrel
05-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Letran rolled over the RP Boys team 93 - 74 at the Nike today. Gaerlan Tampus led the Squires with 25 points while Glen Khobuntin added 18 and 11 boards. It was a massacre from the start as the Squires took an early lead and simply never looked back.

-insane-
05-20-2009, 02:07 PM
wew nasa jrs parin pala sila khobuntin sana mag champ na tayo sa jrs division hehehe

oca
05-27-2009, 11:00 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/youthsports/youthsports/view/20090526-207281/Letran-La-Salle-clash-in-FCBL-finals

MANILA, Philippines - Defending champion Letran and De La Salle Zobel will face in the championships of the FCBL Freego Jeans Cup after pulling through their respective semifinal matches Tuesday at the Buddhacare Gym in Quezon City.

The Squires leaned on point guard Mark Cruz as they rallied in the fourth quarter to eke out a 79-75 win over the San Beda Red Cubs.

Jerelan Tampus topscored for Letran with 22 points and got ample help from teammates Cruz and Glenn Khobuntin, who both contributed 17 points.

Meanwhile, the Archers scored a rousing win over rival Ateneo, 82-79, after losing to the Eaglets at the start of the tournament.

La Salle was again carried by it stalwarts Luigi Dela Paz, Gwayne Capacio, Arnold Vonopstal, Nico Elorde and Niki Herrera.

Dela Paz was named best player of the game after scoring 29 points while Capacio poured in 19 points and 16 rebounds.

The Letran-La Salle championship match is scheduled this Saturday 4p.m. following the battle for third between Ateneo and San Beda at 2 p.m.

bugleboy
05-31-2009, 08:17 AM
MANILA, Philippines—Defending champion Letran College defeated De La Salle Zobel in the Filipino-Chinese Basketball League Freego Jeans Cup’s championship match Saturday at Buddhacare Gym in Quezon City, 85-82.
With starting line up of Jerelan Tampus, Glenn Khobuntin, Mark Cruz, Jeffrey Ongteco and Jose Cabigas, Letran Squires and the Little Archers closed the first half with 36-36.

But Tampus scored a total of 49 points and was declared the most valuable player while the rest of the scores were shared between Cruz, Khobuntin and Ongtengco.

The Archers meanwhile relied on Luigi Dela Paz who shot 26 points and Nico Elorde, 16 points and 15 rebounds, with Anton Sevilla, Gwayne Capacio and Arnold Vanopstal providing support.

Letran Coach Elmer Naponio said that the team’s determination led to their victory but admitted it was a Tampus show.

“I’m happy and proud of Tampus although I must say that I also have expectations with the other players, but yes I am happy,” said Naponio adding that the team is ready for the upcoming NCAA season.

In an earlier match, Ateneo de Manila University won over San Beda Red Cubs, 74-69. Luis Sinco shot 18 points while Red Cubs depended on Amer Baser who scored 16 points.

FCBL Commisioner Horacio Lim later awarded the trophies to five most outstanding players, namely Mark Cruz (LC), Glenn Khobuntin(LC), Amer Baser of (SBC), Luigi Dela Paz (DLSZ), and Raphael Banal (ADMU).

Supporting the tournament are TriDharma Mktg. Corp., F’g Denims Revolution, Dickies Underwear, Old Chinatown Koptitiam, Clincher Packaging Tape, Nougat Candy, Colt Commercial, Powerbest Marketing and Star Galaxy Industrial Fabricator Inc.

christian
05-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Hindi na ba si Latonio ang coachng Squires?

Joescoundrel
05-31-2009, 12:46 PM
^ Elmer Latonio was the one calling the shots throughout this tournament.

bugleboy
05-31-2009, 11:40 PM
^yup, you're right. elmer latonio was and still is the hs coach. sorry, i was in a hurry when i copied that article (originally from inquirer.net by way of the letran facebook page) so i didn't notice the erroneous reference to elmer naponio, este, latonio. :)

Joescoundrel
06-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Letran will meet Zobel anew in a win-or-go-home game as the two schools will square off in the Nike Summer League Final 4. Letran hung on for the 64 - 57 win over Ateneo in their quarterfinal encounter to advance to the Final 4 thanks as usual to Jerelan Tampus and Glen Khobuntin.

-insane-
06-08-2009, 11:31 PM
the squires won against DLSZ 83-81 hehehe sana mag champion kahit summer league plang pati knights sana mag champion din kahit summer league and maganda sana kung red lions makatapat nila

oca
06-09-2009, 11:27 AM
the squires won against DLSZ 83-81 hehehe sana mag champion kahit summer league plang pati knights sana mag champion din kahit summer league and maganda sana kung red lions makatapat nila

UST ang makakatapat ng Squires sa NIKE finals, Wed June 10.

I can't see how the Squires can lose this one.

bugleboy
06-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Final scores in the Nike Jr. championship game: Letran 79, UST 76. Arriba! ;D
Battle for third: JRU 88, DLSZ 85.

Source: http://www.nikebasketball.com.ph/nsl2009/scores.php?day=06_10

oca
06-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Dalawang championship this summer.

Dalawang MVP awards for Tampus.

Llamadao na ang Squires sa NCAA S85.

-insane-
06-10-2009, 11:51 PM
wew congrats poh sa letran squires sana magtuloy tuloy na sa ncaa

arriba letran

pepman
07-18-2009, 02:05 PM
FYI, Aaron So is actually the brother of my classmate.

bugleboy
07-25-2009, 12:11 AM
The Letran Squires lambasted the San Beda Red Cubs today, 99 - 84, through the superior firepower of Tampus, Khobuntin, Inigo, Cruz, Ongteco, Cabahug and company. Actually, the lead was in double digits almost all throughout the match except for a short period in the fourth quarter when the Red Cubs were able to trim this down to 3 points. But a combination of bad shot selection, missed opportunities and just plain bad luck by the Cubs and tight defense, gang rebounding and impeccable shooting by the Squires put the game away towards the end.

Baser Amer of the Red Cubs looks like the real deal, but so do Jerelan Tampus and Glenn Khobuntin. These two played like men among boys today, taking the Red Cub defenses apart with impunity. They look like prime candidates for the Letran Knights team for next year (that is, if they choose to stay in intramuros). But that's getting ahead of ourselves.

As for now, we have to keep our eyes on the prize -- the championship in NCAA season 85. Arriba!

arriba95
07-26-2009, 03:21 AM
Good work Squires! Keep it up!

After beating the Light Bombers and Red Cubs, who are likewise top contenders this season, our high school team looks raring to go all the way to the top.

Arriba Letran!

arriba95
08-15-2009, 08:37 AM
First round sweep! Astig! Never let your guard down, Squires! Tuloy-tuloy na yan sa kampeonato!

Arriba Letran!

ilovedhay
08-15-2009, 10:35 AM
The Letran Knights needs Jarelan Tampus and Glenn Khobontin from the juniors. Kailangan ma-fill ang void ni RJ Jazul and Rey Guevarra na matatapos ang elibility this year. Another 6'5 do it all big man ala Erick Rodriguez

ESCALERA JR.
08-16-2009, 06:46 PM
SQUIRES becoming KNIGHTS.

These should be what the Letran coaching staff' main goal.

Keep our gallant young Squires inside the castle and annoint them as early as possible, maybe after they win this yrs JRS Crown.
Squires Khobuntin, Tampus being knighted as Sir Glen, Sir Jaerlan.

SANA lang!

bugleboy
08-16-2009, 11:01 PM
First round sweep! Astig! Never let your guard down, Squires! Tuloy-tuloy na yan sa kampeonato!

Arriba Letran!

Sa totoo lang, the Squires didn't play all that well against the Staglets last Friday. SSCR was in the contest until halfway through the fourth quarter. The Squires were able to put this game away only through a series of steals initiated and completed by Inigo. Medyo inalat sina Tampus at Khobuntin, but still they were able to contribute in terms of points and rebounds. Another revelation in this game was So, whose timely 3-point bombs kept the Staglets at bay early on. Mark Cruz also gave a good account of himself with some nifty steals and assists. Now if only he were six inches taller...

In fairness to the Staglets, they gave this game their all. One of their guards, Jumao-as, gave our defense fits as he kept on slashing inside for easy points and/or foul-baiting. Hilario and Delgado hit some surprise 3-point shots (some of which were attempted from well beyond the professional 3-point line). But in the end, the Squires were able to wear them down through good defense and transition plays.

Eyes on the prize, boys! Go for the champion in season '82!

ilovedhay
08-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Jarelan Tampus said during the interview sa Inquirer.net that he wants to play for our seniors next year along with his former team mate Kevin Alas. Good blessing kasi wala na si RJ Jazul at Reymar Gutilban next season we need badly to fill the void to be vacated

dark_blue
08-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Squires ace Tampus is the ‘complete package’
http://sports.inquirer.net/youthsports/youthsports/view/20090826-222023/Squires-ace-Tampus-is-the-complete-package

MANILA, Philippines - A pretty-looking layup was partly responsible for Jarelan Tampus’ jump from barangay (village) league to high school star player.

“I was invited by a friend to watch a barangay league game in Mandaue (Cebu) and then I saw him make a layup, which had great form. So I went up to him and asked him to play for us,” said Letran coach Elmer Latonio.

“He has the complete package that I’m looking for in a player,” he said of Tampus, then a sophomore student at the University of Visayas.

Tampus has proven to be an all-around player for the Squires, who are yet to lose in this year’s NCAA juniors basketball tournament, routing Mapua, 105-78, on Monday to remain unbeaten after 11 games.

The 5-foot10 Cebuano native is averaging 26.6 points per game, third in the league behind Joshua Saret and Louie Vigil, both from Jose Rizal U. Tampus is also a shooter; his field goal percentage is nearly 60 percent.

Playing in his final year in Letran, Tampus should be a prized recruit for college teams. But the 18 year-old revealed his first choice.

“No (college) team has approached yet but Letran is still my first choice,” he said in Filipino.

His coach, meanwhile, tells him and his teammates to concentrate first on the task at hand. “I tell them to avoid talking to scouts first and concentrate on the tournament right now,” Latonio said.

Tampus was named Rookie of the Year last season and was awarded Most Valuable Player Award in last summer’s pre-season Nike Summer League.

His offense is no question but Tampus said he wants to improve further on defense, as advised by his coach.

Surrounded by siblings who are also basketball players, Tampus said he started playing basketball at an early age of five.

Even if he’s far from his hometown, Tampus, who is second to the youngest among eight siblings, was grateful to his mother for coming all the way to Manila to support him.

“I am happy because she chose to stay here with me for the season. She watches our games from time to time,” he said.

ESCALERA JR.
09-04-2009, 05:09 PM
...after the exit of Tampus and Khobontin next season, looks like Inigo will take over the reins for the Squires.

These Squires should be a shoo-in for the Knights line-up next year...wala nang team b-team b pa! We have a gold mine with these 2 kids...plus the 2 Aces. Kulang na lang talaga ay Center in the mould of Kerby R.

This years Juniors is the HS version of the dreaded Letran Murder INC in the 50's.
Checked last games results:
Letran 135 vs AUF 32!!!

bugleboy
09-25-2009, 10:27 PM
One win to go and the Squires will have accomplished a historical 18-game sweep! Arriba! :)

arriba95
09-26-2009, 03:45 AM
Another W for our Squires over the Staglets, 81-73.

Let's bring out our brooms on Wednesday against the Red Cubs :D

bugleboy
10-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Well, no such sweep happened yesterday. Our boys may have taken this game much too easily and we paid dearly for it. Tampus, Cruz, and Inigo played their hearts out, but in the end, their efforts proved to be two points short of a win.

In fairness to SBC, they prepared their big men well for this game. Khobuntin, Ongteco and Cudal found themselves boxed out during crucial parts of the game, in contrast to the rather easy time they had cherry-picking during the first round game. Our big boys were still able to score, though, but key breaks down the stretch spelled our doom. That prayer of a three point shot by Sara was a miracle for San Beda.

Hopefully, our Squires will have our own share of miracles come the Final Four and the finals. Eyes on the prize, boys. Kaya iyan.

Joescoundrel
10-15-2009, 10:30 AM
It seemed the Squires were pulling their punches and not really playing their game yesterday when they bowed to the San Beda Red Cubs in the playoff game for the Number 1 seed. This is why I hate playoffs like this. Both teams had nothing to gain, i.e. both would have had twice-to-beat advantages whatever happened, so why play your heart out at all.

Joescoundrel
10-15-2009, 10:31 AM
By the way, what's become of Bon Pinat, the kid of Knights assistant Tino? Is he still with the Squires?

oca
10-15-2009, 12:13 PM
It seemed the Squires were pulling their punches and not really playing their game yesterday when they bowed to the San Beda Red Cubs in the playoff game for the Number 1 seed. This is why I hate playoffs like this. Both teams had nothing to gain, i.e. both would have had twice-to-beat advantages whatever happened, so why play your heart out at all.

Glen Khoubuntin came into the game injured, but the Squires tried to make a game of it early on. But when it became apparent they can't beat the Red Cubs without their main big man, they just looked forward to the semis.

As to having a playoff like this, which btw was also the case for the SBC v SSC-R seniors game, I agree with your sentiments. Kung pareho nang may twice-to-beat-advantage, huwag na i-break ang tie via a playoff. FIBA rules na lang.

Pero kung ang situation ay, let's say, tied for 4th and 5th, or tied for 2nd and 3rd with the twice to beat advantage at stake, natural playoffs dapat.

Dapat gawan ito ng thread sa NCAA forum para mapag-usapan lalo.

LION
10-15-2009, 12:19 PM
^Sayang kasi yung revenue pag di nag play-off. E San Beda pa naman ang involve so siguradong patok sa takilya yan.

bugleboy
10-17-2009, 08:22 AM
The Squires struggled all throughout the match but still came away with a narrow 89 - 84 win over the four-time defending champion San Sebastian Staglets in their juniors' Final Four match yesterday. We had all sorts of problems contending with SSC's Jumao-as, who was used as a rather tall point guard (well, tall in comparison with Letran's Mark Cruz, who was about half a head shorter), and Delgado, who was accurate with his treys.

It didn't help that Achie Inigo was having an off-day, missing open threes and point-blank lay-ups. What bailed us out this time was a surprise three from Cabigas, a steal and a lay-up from Mark Cruz, free throws from Khobuntin and a back-to-the-basket shot from Tampus -- all in the final two minutes.

With that finished, it's on to the Red Cubs for the Finals on Thursday. Eyes on the prize, boys. Arriba!

anniegurl
10-17-2009, 03:19 PM
von pinat is still part of the squires he's part of team B. lets support the squires. Kaya yan boys.

bugleboy
10-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Hoo yeah! Squires fight back to win game 2, 83 - 80, over the Red Cubs. Let's finish this on Thursday! Arriba! ;D

mighty_lion
10-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Congrats guys. The second quarter comeback was big and that dagger three from Inigo was closer. Thursday will be the do or die game and may the best team win.

letranense1620
10-28-2009, 07:57 PM
^ May the best team win. ;)

Arriba Letran!!!
Go San Beda Fight!!!

bugleboy
10-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Our Squires played gallantly but still lost to the San Beda Red Cubs, 85 - 76, in their do-or-die championship ship game today at The Arena in San Juan.

Jerelan Tampus, Glenn Khobuntin and Mark Cruz keyed the Letran fight-back from 18 points down and came within two points, only to lose Khobuntin to injury and JR Ongteco to fouls. That proved to be the final nail as Baser Amer and Art dela Cruz made crucial baskets down the stretch to lead the Red Cubs to their 16th NCAA juniors championship.

Despite this loss, I don't think the Squires have anything to be ashamed of. They fought the good fight, battled through injuries, and gave it their best shot. To the graduating players -- especially Tampus, Khobuntin, Inigo, etc. -- thank you and Godspeed! I certainly hope that your experience of playing as Squires in our Colegio has inspired you to stay on as Knights.

Orgullosos de ti y de tu historia
Nuestras almas desde hoy juraran
Conquistar por tu honor nuevas glorias
Y jamas olvidarte, Letran!

Joescoundrel
10-31-2009, 08:13 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Season85Beda-LetranGame32.jpg

Image by Max Ferrer

Gameface is Philippine Basketball

Joescoundrel
10-31-2009, 08:15 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Season85Beda-LetranGame34.jpg

Image by Max Ferrer

Joescoundrel
10-31-2009, 08:16 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Season85Beda-LetranGame36.jpg

Image by Max Ferrer

Joescoundrel
10-31-2009, 08:17 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Season85Beda-LetranGame37.jpg

Image by Max Ferrer

Joescoundrel
10-31-2009, 08:18 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Gameface_Editor/Season85Beda-LetranGame38.jpg

Image by Max Ferrer

ilovedhay
11-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Phenom

anniegurl
11-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Kudos to the squires!!!!

WERE ARE PROUD OF YOU...

ilovedhay
08-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Better start the pitching to don the Letran Knights Jersey for Mark Cruz of Squires. I can say that Pong Escobal and Marvin Cruz in one. He is much better compared to his elder brother Marvin Cruz of UP Maroons who is currently playing for Air21. Calling Coach Louie.

riou
09-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Sana talaga hindi siya mapirata

ilovedhay
09-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Sana talaga hindi siya mapirata

Ang kalaban natin dito for Mark Cruz is off course yung alma mater ng brother niya yung UP Maroons or UST Tigers wala silang mabigat na PG

riou
06-09-2011, 11:47 AM
^^good luck sa game ng squires tomorrow at the arena against RP Youth U-16!

Arriba!

ESCALERA JR.
07-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Medyo walang kaingay-ingay dito sa Squires naten. They are quietly chipping victories w/out much funfare.

Arriba Letran SQUIRES! @ 4 WINS - 0 loss

bchoter
10-19-2011, 03:48 PM
What heart by the Squires! If hte referees would just do their job and call what are obvious fouls committed against the Squires they should be leading now.

bchoter
10-19-2011, 03:50 PM
1:22 4Q 93 - 89 Benilde
Benilde mis
Nambatac 2
Bonlean 3
Nambatac miss
Lasal rebound

Nambatac spraines his right anke :(

bchoter
10-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Catipay fouls Torres
Torres 2 from the line
Letran TO
Letran forced to foul Torres
Torres 1/2 FT
La Salle steal
more fouls
La Salle 2/2 FT
Letran miss
LSGH fastbreak... Bonleon misses a dunk

101-91 Benilde-LSGH (Final)

bugleboy
10-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Salamat, bchoter. Sayang yung huling habol ng Squires. From 17 points down in the fourth quarter, the Squires were able to trim the LSGH lead to 2 points off a floater by Villanueva. And then two things happened that led to the unraveling of the Squires -- La Salle's Bonleon hitter a dagger trey to hike the lead to 5, then Letran's Nambatac suffering that terrible sprain in the next play.

Lots of weird calls and non-calls, mostly against the Squires. But then, ganyan talaga. Besides, what do you expect from a team with only 10 guys playing ironman basketball? Natural, mauubusan nga ng hangin at lakas iyan. It's even surprising that with this depleted lineup, we were able to end up second in the elims.

So, here's to you, Letran Squires! Nothing to be ashamed of. Luib and Serafica, I hope you will stay and still play for Letran in the seniors division. Arriba!

bugleboy
06-12-2012, 07:22 PM
The Squires lost today to the San Beda Red Cubs in a toe-to-toe battle for the Fil-Oil pre-season junior championship, 77 - 79. The Squires were leading by 8 until the final six minutes but then lapsed into a series of errors and fouls that enabled the Red Cubs to draw even and then to edge ahead by 4 in the final two minutes. It didn't help that Ivan Villanueva was assessed his disqualifying foul with around five minutes to go, enabling the Cubs to control the rebounding battle.

Still and all, I think these Squires have the ability to end our decade-long drought in the NCAA juniors division. Villanueva, Nambatac, Kenneth Alas and newcomer Quinto will figure prominently in this year's campaign.

bugleboy
08-17-2012, 07:12 AM
The Squires ended the first round with a 7-2 card. Unfortunately, one of the losses came yesterday against the Red Cubs. It seems that our star player, Nambatac, did not play. I wonder why. The box scores: (from NCAA FB)

San Beda (86) -- Tolentino 26, Mocon 16, Caracut 11, Tongco 8, Furaque 6, Brojan 6, Diputado 5, Macapayag 5, Abuda 1, Abude 0, Inigo 0, Abatayo 0, De Villeres 0, Romero 0.

Letran (69) -- Villanueva 20, Quinto 19, Abao 11, Alas 8, Sazon 6, Galleon 3, Ramos 2, Geli 0, Castro 0, Seman 0.

Quarterscores: 20-17, 29-34, 56-53, 86-69.

knightrider
08-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Nambatac is with the Under 18 team playing for flag and country somewhere abroad.

bugleboy
08-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Oo nga pala. Thanks, knightrider. Senior moment ha. :)

bugleboy
08-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Well, it's good to know that Rey Nambatac is doing well in the U-18 tournament in Mongolia, helping the Pinoy cagers to a 4-1 standing:

(from Inquirer.net)

MANILA, Philippines—Jerie Pingoy led the way as Energen Pilipinas prevailed over erstwhile unbeaten Chinese Taipei, 88-83, Tuesday to assure itself of a quarterfinal slot in the Fiba Asia U-18 in Ulan Bator, Mongolia.

Pingoy, the UAAP juniors MVP, shot 25 points, including a three-point play that gave the Philippines breathing room, 86-82, with 46 seconds left.

He also brought his team to within one, before dishing out two assists to Jay Javelosa and Paolo Rivero that put PH back up, 81-80, at the 1:52 mark.

Chinese Taipei, which trailed by as much as nine at halftime, however, wouldn’t go down without a fight.

Jin-Cheng Chiu delivered that gave his squad up by a thread, 82-81. But Letran’s Rey Nambatac answered with his own to make it, 83-82, with 1:11 remaining as PH never fell behind after that.

Skipper Jay Alejandro added the finishing touches at the stripe with 18 seconds left. Alejandro finished with 22 points and nine rebounds.

The Philippines, which improved to 4-1, faces Bahrain Wednesday.

Chinese Taipei’s Kuan-Chun Lin equaled Pingoy’s point total with 25.

PHILIPPINES 88—Pingoy 25, Alejandro 22, Nambatac 10, Javelosa 6, Suarez 6, Cani 5, Olayon 5, Rivero 5, Babilonia 2, Porter 2, Lao 0.

CHINESE TAIPEI 83—Lin 25, Fan 16, Li 16, H. Huang 9, Chiu 6, Lee 6, Wu 3, Lu 2, Cheng 0, Chin 0, T. Huang 0.

Quarters: 17-14, 43-34, 63-64, 88-83

knightrider
01-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Let's all support Junjie Ablan and our quest to finally snare another crown this season.

bugleboy
03-10-2013, 07:30 AM
This is not really about basketball, but it is heartening since it is not just about Letran but also about Patria:

Lim crushes Thai, bags Pathak Cup ITF 14-under singles crown
By Marc Anthony Reyes
Philippine Daily Inquirer
1:26 am | Sunday, March 10th, 2013

ALBERTO Lim Jr. lived up to his lofty billing by routing Vorachon Rakpuangchon of Thailand, 6-2, 6-2, yesterday to as he finally laid claim to what was rightfully his, routing his Thai foe to capture the boys’ singles title in the Ajay Pathak Memorial Cup ITF 14-Under Developmental Championship Division I at Rizal Memorial Tennis Center.

Displaying a big forehand and impressive quickness, the chubby 13-year-old easily swept past the second seed to rule the tournament without giving up a single set.

The NCAA singles champ from Letran, who picked up the sport as a stocky 7-year-old bundle of power from Sampaloc, nailed his third straight title after topping the Phinma juniors and the Orange Bowl last year.

“I was feeling really good with my game and gained a lot of confidence because of my international exposure,” said Lim who is looking to break the top 100 in juniors this year, a feat his former stablemate Jeson Patrombon accomplished when he was 17.

“My coach said that we will compete here not just for exposure but to win the tournament,” added Lim in reference to his coach, former Davis Cupper Manny Tecson.

Lim now tries to pull off a double when week 2 of the event put up by the ITF Grand Slam Development Fund and the Philippine Tennis Academy starts on Tuesday.

Seventh seed Himani Mor of India sustained her run of upset victories to clinch the girls’ crown after rolling back sixth-ranked Ren JiaQi of China, 6-4, 4-6, 6-1. Mor shocked Chinese top seed Tang Yutong (6-3, 6-2) in the semis.

En route to the title, Lim whipped Jiang XingSheng of China, 6-1, 6-0, in the second round, Charles Roberts of Thailand, 6-2, 6-2, in the quarterfinals before booking a finals seat with a 6-0, 6-1 rout of India’s Parkshit Somani.
Vorachon, also 13, made the finals via a 6-2, 6-1 beating of third seed Alan Sou Ming Chun of Hong Kong.

Lim, currently ranked 407th in the world and earned 450 ranking points for the win, downplayed his chances for a second straight crown, saying he has yet to see who will be joining the second phase of the tourney held in honor of the late Philippine Tennis Association vice president and supported by the Philippine Sports Commission, Technifibre Balls, Wilkins, Mariposa Foundation, Cebuana Lhuillier, Chowking and Trans Asia Corp.

bugleboy
03-13-2013, 12:29 AM
Since Nambatac is still technically a Squire, we might as well post this here:

Nambatac admits he has long way to go before filling Alas void
By Karlo Sacamos
March 12, 2013, 05:27 pm
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/nambatac-admits-he-has-long-way-to-go-before-filling-alas-void

BE like Kevin.

NCAA high school basketball star Rey Nambatac made the first step in his collegiate career by officially committing to stay at Letran and treading the same path as fellow combo guard and former Knights star Kevin Alas.

But the Squires standout is the first to admit that he still has a long way to go before he can fill the big shoes of Alas, who recently declared he is skipping his final year of eligibility with the Knights.

“Yun ang sinasabi ng karamihan na ngayong nawala si Kevin, ako daw yung papalit sa position niya. Pero bago ko makuha `yung role niya, kailangan may mapatunayan muna ako tapos kailangan muna mag-strive hard talaga,” Nambatac told Spin.ph before the start of a recent Letran afternoon practice.

“Hindi ako nagpapadala sa mga ganung usapan kasi ayaw ko naman maging too confident,” added the 18-year-old Cagayan de Oro native, who had 20 points, six rebounds, six assists, and five steals before being named MVP in Team Light’s 92-78 win over Dark in the NBTC High School All-Star Game two weeks ago.

For now, the former NCAA juniors' Rookie of the Year and MVP is just relieved that months of uncertainty over his college of choice are now over after being heavily recruited by most schools both in the UAAP and the NCAA.

“Bawas na sa problema,” said Nambatac, who is planning to take up either finance management or business management in college. “Ang mind set ko na talaga ngayon ay mag-focus sa seniors kasi hindi na biro maglaro dito eh.”

“Sabi nga ng dad ko, back to zero na naman. Kung ano man yung (stature) ko dati sa juniors, wala na yun kasi ibang level na ‘to. Kailangan talaga mag-work hard,” he added.

Like Alas, the 6-foot lefty can play either guard spots, although he expects to spend more time at the `2’ spot in his freshman year, with Mark Cruz still fixed as the starting point guard of the Knights.

Nambatac said he has had a harmonious relationship so far with new mentor Caloy Garcia.

“Okay naman pag-welcome niya sa akin. Binibigyan naman niya ako ng break. Kung ano kulang ko, sinasabihan naman ako,” he said.

dark_blue
04-17-2013, 11:19 AM
2013 FilOil Cup result:
Letran Squires def. UST Tiger Cubs, 70-67

stats:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/541448_582738778412681_900190320_n.jpg

bugleboy
04-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Squires defeated the NU Bullpups, 80-67, for their second win in the pre-season FilOil Cup. Ivan Villanueva topscored with 23 points, while new guy Alacre posted 18 points and 17 rebounds. Arriba!

Read more here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/filoil-flying-v-sports/stats-letran-squires-vs-national-u-bullpups/638139506200386

knightrider
04-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Great effort! Coach Ablan knows how rotate the players to get a win.

ESCALERA JR.
04-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Great news to hear the Squires winning back to back@filoil...but there's another news going around the juniors basketball circle. Squire Ken Alas jumping out of our walls to mingle w the cubs in the den. Is the young Alas departure a huge loss in our jrs. team? Honestly ive not heard any exploits of this younger Alas as compared to his kuya when Kevin was his age...kev was a standout then, scorching the stat sheet w 40 pts in one game against that red team. Mahihirapan siyang makapasok sa rotation unless mas matindi ang kalibre niya kay kuya kevin(hindi si junjun)

knightrider
04-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Kenneth parang lampa maglaro. No great moves. Essentially a receive and shoot kind of guy. Payat. Walang defense. I think he made the team because of his father and brothers. Drawing an analogy, if kevin is a Manny Pacquiao, Kenneth is not even a shade of a Bobby Pacquiao. Not a great loss for us, nor a grand acquisition for the other side. That's how not good he is, from my point of view. Pang intra-murals lang.

ESCALERA JR.
04-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Baka mas magaling pa si junjun....lol good riddance!

Yung isang Alas na lang alagaan naten, the tot that is seen in almost every game of the Knights...eto ang mukhang matinik...mantakin
mo ba sanggol pa lang nasa ringside na palagi at nasaksihan niya halos lahat ng laro ng mga kuya niya at ama.

Good luck to the ALAS' Ken, Kev, Kris and coach Louie in their new basketball journey.

knightrider
04-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Good luck to the ALAS' Ken, Kev, Kris and coach Louie in their new basketball journey.

Amen to that! They are part of Letran's rich basketball history. The run we made under coach Louie is unprecedented.

The Alas' era is over. But it was a successful run with 3 crowns, 5 final appearances, and 13 years in the FF. Totally boggles the mind. It's up to the successors to surpass the achievements they have given our proud institution.

Coach Caloy, the ball is now in your court. Start your winning reign this season. Marami na tayong guapo katulad mo sa Letran (i.e., Melegrito, Andaya, Taplah, Pantin, etc.). Ang kailangan natin ay mas maarami pang kampeonato.

ESCALERA JR.
04-29-2013, 02:35 PM
LOL, nice one bwhahaha - mestizo HC at...mga 'medyo' mestisohin.

bugleboy
04-29-2013, 05:59 PM
^Ayos. :) Pang Mr. Philippines lahat!

ESCALERA JR.
04-29-2013, 08:38 PM
One unpopular move by this young Alas. Nagdagsaan ang sarisaring opinyon sa kanyang paglipat lalo na sa fb' TagaLetran ka...nagatungan tuloy ang natutulog na isyung Finals game 3. I hope it doesnt divide the community further. We have our former coach to thank for the glorious years he has served our MBT. Whatever happened at last seasons finals...and outcome and whats happening now should be taken at face value. Respect their decisions. Coach Louie' decision not to renew, Kevins decision not to play his final year, junjun' sudden exit and now Kens' hoping over to the den.

Lets just all welcome the new era this coming season 89! New breed, new coach, new heroes, new challenges. Arriba lang ng Arriba!

bugleboy
05-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Perhaps the last word on this whole Kenneth Alas brouhaha:

Red Cubs stand to benefit as another Alas bids Letran goodbye
By Mei-Lin Lozada
May 09, 2013, 09:24 pm
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/red-cubs-stand-to-benefit-as-another-alas-bids-letran-adieu

LETRAN Squires star Kenneth Alas has decided to transfer to San Beda, becoming the latest member of his family to leave the Intramuros-based school.

The NCAA juniors standout, son for former Knights coach Louie and younger brother of seniors cagers Kevin and Junjun, said San Beda’s winning tradition was a major factor in the switch, although he admitted his father’s resignation and his brothers’ exit also influenced his decision.

"Matagal ko pinag-isipan 'to (ang paglipat)," said the lanky small forward. "Mom and dad ko sinabi pag-isipan ko 'to ng mabuti. Naka affect din ang pag-alis nila kasi di na ako comfortable nang wala na si Dad.”

The 17-year-old Alas would have been an incoming high school senior, but he will have to serve a one-year residency before becoming eligible to suit up for the Red Cubs, who have 20 NCAA juniors’ titles under their belt.

"San Beda ang unang nakipag-usap sa akin na gusto nila ako kunin. And kung titignan mo ang history nila, maraming naging magagaling at successful na players at syempre sa dami ng naipanalo nila," he explained.

Alas said he has already informed Letran’s athletic director, Fr. Vic Calvo, O.P. of his decision.

"Kinausap niya ako ng one-on-one," he said. "Matagal kami nag-usap. Ang sinabi lang niya na sana maging masaya ako sa decision ko."

Despite his transfer, Alas said he will always remember his roots, having been a Letran student for 11 straight years, starting in 2002.

“Alumni ako ng Letran at proud na proud ako maging Letranite."

Follow the writer on Twitter: @meilinlozada

ESCALERA JR.
05-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Here's a crystalball look in the not so distant future spanning the next 3-4 yrs...ken will play a starring role on his one stop as a redcub...after which he tries out BUT does not make the RL MBT yet...magpapahinog muna sa teamB...on the other hand brother Kevin boosts his stock and gains more popularity in a gilas uniform on his way to the pros to join one of mvp's team in the pba. By this time coach boyetfernandez term as coach is on its last year and will not renew. A search for a next coach for the RL...dito papasok ang second coming ng Alas father/son tandem. After 3 years strutting the sidelines assisting in the pros, this is bout the right time for coach louie to take another shot at college ball. With him at the helm, hinog na rin si Ken to crack the roster. And with his dad as headcoach, hatak na rin si Ken with dad ready to guide another Alas son to equal if not surpass his kuya. Meanwhile the youngest of the Alas brood is now a budding Squire....(lakas ng tama ng kape ko...)

Will come back again to this thread going to its 100th season to see Kiefer Alas carry the Knights to its upteenth title...
..(with his dad as coach)...

bugleboy
05-10-2013, 10:06 PM
^Pahingi naman ng kape mo. Mukhang iba nga ang tama!

Seriously though, I hope that this scenario of yours does not play out. Having Coach Louie at SBC will be the cruelest of cuts -- much greater than Kenneth's defection. Honorary member pa naman si Coach Louie ng FROKS.

Nawa'y di mangyari iyan, ESCALERA JR.

knightrider
05-11-2013, 03:28 PM
I think Louie Alas will be head-coaching a PBA team by that time. He may even be coaching Kevin in the PBA to ensure Kevin's pro-career is secured. As for Kenneth, your scenario is pure fantasy. He was not gifted with the talents that Kevin has.

In politics, the incompetent, the untalented, the stupid, the CORRUPT, and the killers can use the name of their father(s) to win an elective post. Unfortunately for Kenneth, the same is not true in the sport of basketball. You can't invoke your father's name to score points, dish-out assists, or rebound the ball. You must have the skills set to succeed.

As for Keifer Alas, I foresee Jun Jun Alas coaching him in the CSJL MBT around 10 years from now. Ha ha (Lakas ng tama ng red wine ko!)

bugleboy
05-31-2013, 04:52 PM
Good news naman:

Falcons clip Pirates, Squires complete sweep in Fr. Martin Cup
(philstar.com) | Updated May 29, 2013 - 9:21am
http://www.philstar.com/sports/2013/05/29/947696/falcons-clip-pirates-squires-complete-sweep-fr.-martin-cup

MANILA, Philippines - The Adamson Falcons and the Letran Squires waylaid their respective foes and formally earned semifinals slots in the ongoing 19th Fr. Martin Summer Cup basketball tournament.

The Falcons, with Jessie Pedrosa firing 20 points, relied on their second stringers to finish the job and put away the Lyceum Philippines University Pirates, 70-55, in Group A of the senior division, Monday at the Trinity University of Asia gymnasium in Quezon City.

The Squires, behind Yves Sazon and Ivan Villanueva with 27 and 18 points, subdued the La Salle-Zobel Junior Archers, 88-74, in Group A of the junior action Tuesday at the St. Placid gymnasium in San Beda College-Manila in Mendiola.

The Falcons secured the first semis berth with a 6-1 win-loss record. The loss, meanwhile, put the Pirates chances in trouble with their 4-3 win-loss slate.

The Squires completed a seven-game sweep to clinch the first semis slot in their bracket, while the Junior Archers followed behind with their 6-1 card.

They joined Group B qualifiers San Beda-A (8-0) and Xavier School (4-2) in the next round.

In other games, Ateneo-B drew 10 points from Joma Adornado as they won over PATTS, and stayed in the hunt for a semis berth at 4-3 in Group A of the senior action.

Claire Sambile shot 12 points for the Far Eastern University Lady Tamaraws, who demolished the Fatima University Lady Phoenix, 42-22, to hike their record to 5-2 and remain in contention for the women’s finals.

bugleboy
03-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Villanueva to go to the Adamson Falcons, reported spin.ph. But this was denied vehemently by Asst. Coach Odick Reyes on FB. Confusing? You bet.

bugleboy
04-28-2014, 09:07 PM
In the Fil-Oil preseason cup juniors game today, the Squires defeated the JRU Light Bombers, 59 - 58. Jerrick Balanza topscored with 17 points.

bugleboy
05-03-2014, 07:01 AM
Eaglets won over our Squires, 77-64, in the Fil-Oil preseason cup.

bugleboy
05-30-2014, 01:51 PM
News from Twitter, ironically from @sanbedasports: Letran Squires defeat the San Beda Red Cubs, 78-72, in the Fil-Oil preseason cup.

knightrider
07-13-2014, 08:58 PM
It looks like ex-Squire Villanueva is going to be a player of impact for the Adamson falcons, sooner than expected. I believe that if we did not lose him, he would have been a player like Jam Cortes, plus a decent shooter at mid range. Sayang!

bugleboy
08-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Good showing so far by our Squires, with a 5-1 record in this first round. Hopefully, this keeps up so that we can return to the Final Four this year. After that, who knows? This may just be the year...

bugleboy
08-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Squires now at 6-1 following the victory today over the Arellano Baby Chiefs. The Knights, though, are another story altogether...

bugleboy
08-09-2014, 04:45 PM
On a positive note, the Squires are now at 7-1!

knightrider
08-09-2014, 11:34 PM
We'll see the stuff the Squires are made of when they meet the defending chumps in the next game.

Spikermike
08-10-2014, 01:21 AM
We'll see the stuff the Squires are made of when they meet the defending chumps in the next game.

Chumps?

bugleboy
08-10-2014, 08:51 AM
^Wordplay lang iyan. No need to get all hyped up.

Just remembered that this upcoming match against the Red Cubs will feature Kenneth Alas going up against his former team mates. I wonder how that will feel like, both for Alas and the Squires.

Big Ticket
08-10-2014, 10:16 AM
On a positive note, the Squires are now at 7-1!

Who are the squires' best players? Are they college material?

bugleboy
08-10-2014, 11:58 AM
AFAIK, Balanza is the only notable holdover from last year's team. The other consistent scorers seem to be new.

ESCALERA JR.
08-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Much as i hate seeing our Knights lose one game after another, consuelo na lang eh natatalo tayo only by a slimest of margin. End game execution lang, taking care of the lead and siguro pacing ng mga veterans. All these hype about our Seniors losing and the frustrations we are experiencing, nakalimutan ko na meron pa pala tayong SQUIRES.

Leading the pack so far after 8 games, we will face the Jrs. defending champions RedCubs next week. And one of our former Aces naglalaro na din dun...nag hi-highest pointer pa ata. Paano na yan? Will he be on the receiving end of the Rowdy crowd jeers...?how will kuya kevin or Kristopher react kung makarinig ng maaanghang na tirada?
Sana wag na muna maglaro hehe.

ESCALERA JR.
08-10-2014, 03:14 PM

bugleboy
08-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Para sa akin, Letranista pa rin iyang si Kenneth. He did spend the bulk of his academic and playing years with us, so I'm sure that shouldn't readily be forgotten.

Having said that, since he already is playing for the other side, our boys should come at him like any other enemy. Saka na uli yung pagkakaibigan pagkatapos ng laro.

bugleboy
08-13-2014, 09:50 PM
Squires lost to the Red Cubs. Bawi na lang sa second round!

ESCALERA JR.
08-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Was expecting The Squires to win handily over the cubs and the Srs.to loose yet it was the other way around. Bilog talaga ang bola.

The NC Juniors is a free for all...4 teams all lumped in 1st place with 7-2 slates.

ESCALERA JR.
08-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Re: kenAlas is slowly starting to make waves as a red Cub...will he soon be a RL ?..or make a comeback to Intramuros.

bugleboy
03-04-2015, 12:00 AM
Good news!

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa/news/jerrick-balanza-letran-staying-ncaa-loves-the-team-basketball

ESCALERA JR.
03-15-2015, 10:26 AM
I wonder where KenAlas is heading to?..nagpang-abot ba sila ni Jerick Balanza during his time with the Squires? Balanza is already commited to play for the Knights, playing them together would be a good prospect. Kung naghahanap pa si Kenneth ng team who can play him straight away, he shouldnt look far.

BLUE HORSE
03-15-2015, 10:42 AM
The was a recent article that said Alas is headed to a Dominican institution. Unfortunately, he is not headed to Muralla but Espana.

bugleboy
03-16-2015, 12:07 AM
OK lang. Magagamit siya roon sa UST. Good luck to Kenneth!

mywolve28
03-29-2015, 10:21 PM
good pm po...sino po graduating na letran squire na 6-5 po height salamat po :)

bugleboy
12-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Congratulations, Achie Inigo (and the FEU Tamaraws)! Even if you did not stay in Letran, at least you ended your college career with a championship!

http://tiebreakertimes.com/tbt/inigo-caps-solid-uaap-career-championship/43887

bugleboy
07-10-2017, 05:17 PM
The Letran Squires lineup, including the rest of the NCAA:

http://sports.abs-cbn.com/ncaa/news/2017/07/04/ncaa-season-93-juniors-basketball-rosters-28181

Nasa reserve list pa lang si Stacey Tibayan. Too young? :(

bugleboy
07-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Squires now at 2-1 after winning this afternoon over the JRU Light Bombers. Some good news before we end our day.

bugleboy
10-20-2017, 12:47 PM
The Squires qualified for the Final Four by coming from behind and beating the LSGH Blazers recently. The Squires, seeded third, will play the Mapua Red Robins (twice-to-beat, ulp!) for a place in the finals.

Good luck, Squires! Arriba!

ESCALERA JR.
10-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Salamat Rey' NAMBATAC...former Letran Squire and Grand Knight.

Arriba and goodluck StingRey'!