PDA

View Full Version : KNIGHTS UNFORGETTABLE GAMES

esjay
03-24-2006, 03:23 PM
I take the honor to start this thread with a forgetful melee during the NCAA 1980 season where the Lasalle GreenArchers was still part of the NCAA rich tradition...

it was a hell of a sight, a brawl of all brawls against the knights team that lead to a team banned for a year and even the basketball season.

bonzie1645
03-27-2006, 01:32 PM
-jp pacheco hit a 3 point basket with seconds to go in OT to win the '98 championship.

-jonathan piņera sealed the game for the knights as they destrpyed the hopes of baste to win a 3-peat in 2003.

-boyet bautista & the knights got it's revenge by beating pcu in 2005.

esjay
03-28-2006, 11:29 AM
the famous Libed shot

ESCALERA JR.
03-30-2006, 08:16 PM
One unforgetable game i remember was in '78 or'79. The Red Lions of San Beda led by the triumvirate of Chito Loyazaga, Jayvee Yango and Chuck Barreiero was on its way for a sweep of both rounds of the season for an automatic championship title.

Unfortunately, they still have to hurdle one last obstacle and that was the Knights of Letran led by Itoy Esquera, Mon SanJuan, Erwin Bola-bola (the first of the bola-bola brothers) and Pedrito Aninon. It was a classic battle as both sides of the RMC were filled to the rafters by their respective die-hard fans.

We were able to foil their rampage, dealing them their first and only loss that year but San Beda eventually ended up as back-to- back Champions, the last one they had to this day.

ESCALERA JR.
03-30-2006, 08:43 PM
The most recent unforgetable game was the last second buzzer-beater, winning shot of Jonathan ALDAVE from the trifecta against the PCU Dolphins in the 2004 play-offs. That shot sent the Letran gallery in a thunderous roar that almost brought the house (Araneta) down.

But the triumph was only short-lived as the Knights were beaten in an exciting O.T. loss to the same team a few days later, derailing what could have been a back-to-back campaign, no thanks to the miserable performance of then first Knight Enrile.

Guys, just imagine if we had won that game, we should have made our second 3-peat this year in the NCAA. And then if ever we win again next year (i doubt), 4-peat na sana!

esjay
03-30-2006, 10:05 PM
the calaguio shot against san beda... curiously, chris was cut by red lions during try outs.

LION
03-31-2006, 07:59 AM
^esjay, San Beda wanted Calaguio to play for the Red Lions. Unfortunately, he demanded for a guaranteed playing time - something which San Beda was not prepared to give. So, Calaguio went to Letran.

His fellow Red Cub, Ralph Rivera, did not make any demands. He was taken in and as a reward for his skills and admirable behavior, he was inserted in the starting line up.

In my book, Calaguio is still a Bedan. He and Rivera gave the Red Cubs 2 NCAA championships I think. Calaguio is now enjoying a good PBA career. Rivera, unfortunately, did not fully recover from the knee injury he suffered while playing for the Batangas Blades in the MBA.

So goes the story of two former red cubs.

ESCALERA JR.
03-31-2006, 10:11 PM
Surely, Calaguio was a former red cub from San beda. However, he gained prominece as a Knight, winning one Seniors NCAA championship for Letran with an MVP to boot. In the PRO's(MBA & PBA) he is actually introduced during pre-game introduction by emcees as a former knight than a red cub. Likewise other former bedans in the likes of Renren Ritualo and LA Tenorio are more famously known as former Archer and King Eagle respectively.

We also take pride on former squires who are now making names for themselves in the other league, even though they carry the names of their current teams like JC Intal of Ateneo and JR.Reyes as a former UP maroon.

LION
04-01-2006, 04:16 PM
^ No problem there Escalera. Note that what I said was that Calaguio in my book Calaguio is still a bedan. Take it in the context of our outlook that once a Bedan, always a Bedan. This statement is also true with respect to the likes of Ritualo, Arao, Membrere, etc. In fact, Membrere, Arao, Bughao alwalys sing the Bedan hymn after every Ateneo exhibition game against San Beda. I have no intention of ignoring his Letran roots because as you correctly pointed out, he gained prominence in Letran.

That is how we are in San Beda, Escalera.

bombet
04-16-2006, 03:02 AM
One unforgetable game i remember was in '78 or'79. The Red Lions of San Beda led by the triumvirate of Chito Loyazaga, Jayvee Yango and Chuck Barreiero was on its way for a sweep of both rounds of the season for an automatic championship title.

Unfortunately, they still have to hurdle one last obstacle and that was the Knights of Letran led by Itoy Esquera, Mon SanJuan, Erwin Bola-bola (the first of the bola-bola brothers) and Pedrito Aninon. It was a classic battle as both sides of the RMC were filled to the rafters by their respective die-hard fans.

We were able to foil their rampage, dealing them their first and only loss that year but San Beda eventually ended up as back-to- back Champions, the last one they had to this day.

Which team did the Red Lions defeat in the finals?

bombet
04-16-2006, 03:07 AM
^esjay, San Beda wanted Calaguio to play for the Red Lions. Unfortunately, he demanded for a guaranteed playing time - something which San Beda was not prepared to give. So, Calaguio went to Letran.

His fellow Red Cub, Ralph Rivera, did not make any demands. He was taken in and as a reward for his skills and admirable behavior, he was inserted in the starting line up.

In my book, Calaguio is still a Bedan. He and Rivera gave the Red Cubs 2 NCAA championships I think. Calaguio is now enjoying a good PBA career. Rivera, unfortunately, did not fully recover from the knee injury he suffered while playing for the Batangas Blades in the MBA.

So goes the story of two former red cubs.

Was Calaguio and Rivera part of the Red Cubs champion team of 1991 and 1992?

MonL
04-17-2006, 01:02 PM

We were able to foil their rampage, dealing them their first and only loss that year but San Beda eventually ended up as back-to- back Champions, the last one they had to this day.* *

Which team did the Red Lions defeat in the finals?

In 1978, San Beda swept the first round, 6-0, and was poised for a sweep when they were defeated by the Knights in the last game of the second round. Since SBC, Letran and La Salle sported identical 5-1 records in the second round, they had a sudden death playoff for the second round pennant. San Beda and Letran played first, as La Salle earned a bye. The Lions beat the Knights, and followed it up with a win over the Archers for the second round flag, and outright championship.

Of course, in 1979, with an intact lineup,* Letran won it all, following a tough playoff battle with Mapua, who starred Leo Isaac and Erwin Leaņo, if I remember right...

ESCALERA JR.
04-17-2006, 04:31 PM
The 79 champion team would have duplicated the feat the following year had it not been cancelled due to the infamous Lasalle-Letran on-court and off court rumbles.

If i remember right, Letran is on the way to a finals berth against Lasalle led by the elder Pumaren(was it Derrick?) with Letran boasting of streakshooting Itoy Esguerra and hardworking Baldomero.

...then "kaboom" an incident between Itoy and Derik during a scramble sparked jeerings between camps which resulted in a full-blown riot. The season was abruptly cancelled and no champion team was declared in the 1980 version of NCAA.

MonL
04-17-2006, 05:31 PM
The 79 champion team would have duplicated the feat the following year had it not been cancelled due to the infamous Lasalle-Letran on-court and off court rumbles.

If i remember right, Letran is on the way to a finals berth against Lasalle led by the elder Pumaren(was it Derrick?) with Letran boasting of streakshooting Itoy Esguerra and hardworking Baldomero.

...then "kaboom" an incident between Itoy and Derik during a scramble sparked jeerings between camps which resulted in a full-blown riot. The season was abruptly cancelled and no champion team was declared in the 1980 version of NCAA.

Actually the San Beda-Letran sudden death playoff in the second round in 1978 was marred by scuffle by the Letran players and some Bedan spectators late in the game. I think only Richard Young, Bong Aniņon and Mon San Juan did not participate in the melee. They were solid competitive but admirable gentlemen players who did not cross the line.

ESCALERA JR.
04-18-2006, 04:12 PM
^monl, refresh my memory, was that the next game after letran won over the RL in their initial encounter for the 2nd rd.

Yes i remember that incident although hindi naman masyado grabe. I think it was esguerra against some of the bedan students in the ringside in the dying minutes of the game. One of the students involved was the son of former mayor bagatsing.

After that, Sanbeda won again over Lasalle for the 2nd rd pennant and outright championship.

I have this feeling beda will finally end their title drought before menor and co. graduates... if not this year,mga 2-3 yrs. time...

MonL
04-18-2006, 05:07 PM
^monl, refresh my memory, was that the next game after letran won over the RL in their initial encounter for the 2nd rd.

Yes i remember that incident although hindi naman masyado grabe.* I think it was esguerra against some of the bedan students in the ringside in the dying minutes of the game. One of the students involved was the son of former mayor bagatsing.

After that, Sanbeda won again over Lasalle for the 2nd rd pennant and outright championship.

I have this feeling beda will finally end their title drought before menor and co. graduates... if not this year,mga 2-3 yrs. time...

ESCALERA JR., Yes, it was held a few days right after the first encounter in the second round. The melee was a flash incident, triggered by lots of heckling from both sides, and it was a good thing that it did not last long as cooler heads prevailed, and the game was allowed to continue. And good thing that railings along the baseline separated the players and spectators from each other. But that was a hell of a game from Esguerra....26 points, mostly from long range...

I also remember a player who did a lot of damage to us in that first meeting in the second round....6-3 backup center Tony De Leon. He shot 12 points that afternoon, and for a talent laden team like the Knights, that was a lot from a seldom-used role player... He was a former Red Cub too, and he was called "Little John" in San Beda because he resembled a character from the TV series "Combat!" shown at Channel 7 at the time...

As for the up and coming season, we have high hopes..."End 28 at 82" is a fitting goal to aim for. We'll never ever have that battle cry again...Here's for a competitive and violence-free 'NC!'

ESCALERA JR.
04-18-2006, 09:18 PM
MONL, bedan ka pala...welcome to our"Homecourt" Surprisingly you have a good grasp of our previous team of not so long time ago.

Speaking of Tony de leon, whom i have almost forgotten as one of the knights during that year, he was nicknamed "ORCA" in the letran community...probably because of his height and a "face" whcih resembles the famed killer whale of a movie of that era...

That SBC team of JV Yango, Barreiro,Chito Loyzaga, F.Lim, the twins and Louie Brill is a very formidable line-up.
Kumpleto recados, ika nga...A gangling but effective center, with reliable shooters, slashers and able pointguards. Kasama din ba dun si Advani?.

LION
04-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Was Calaguio and Rivera part of the Red Cubs champion team of 1991 and 1992?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were team mates and won 2 championships together but I could not recall if these were in 91 and 92. Sign of old age.

MonL
04-19-2006, 07:45 AM
MONL, bedan ka pala...welcome to our"Homecourt"* Surprisingly you have a good grasp of our previous team of not so long time ago.

Speaking of Tony de leon, whom i have almost forgotten as one of the knights during that year, he was nicknamed "ORCA" in the letran community...probably because of his height and* a "face" whcih resembles the famed killer whale of a movie of that era...

That SBC team of JV Yango, Barreiro,Chito Loyzaga, F.Lim, the twins and Louie Brill is a very formidable line-up.
Kumpleto recados, ika nga...A gangling but effective center, with reliable shooters, slashers and able pointguards. Kasama din ba dun si Advani?.

ESCALERA JR., si Mukesh "Mike" Advani was still a Red Cub that year... the Cubs swept the season that year. Kasama niya si Joey Loyzaga then.

I have great respect for the Knights then because they were always very tough. You had to bring your 'A' game always when you play them. Specially intimidating was Ted McKinney and Mon Navales, a player with tree trunks for legs. Esguerra was really a killer. To correct my previous post, the 26 points he made was during that game the Knights won against the Lions. It seemed like he never missed during that game, and those long range shots of his pierced our hearts. I liked Bong Aniņon's game. He would have been NC's deadliest at the 3-point area had that line been there at the time...It seemed like he had PBA/NBA 3-point range. I am puzzled as to why Mon San Juan did not make much of an impact after his NCAA days... I believe he was the MVP in your championship year.

ESCALERA JR.
04-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Same here, MONL. I gave that last SBC champion team of 77-78 high respect, awe...the best team so far the RL has produced the last 2 decades. It is very hard to replicate their feat kasi after that era, lagi kayo kulang sa CENTRO, one of the reason why beda has been in drought for 28 long years.

Elmer Reyes was a workhorse, complimenting the playmaking style of Frankie Lim with the snipings of Loyzaga and another power player in Chuck Barreiro and Yango. Pana-panahon lang talaga yan.

Unfortunately for the bedans in "79, nag-gel na ang letran knights that time led by san juan, esquerra and co.

As for Mon San Juan, he played only sparingly for awhile after his ncaa days then left for the States.

MonL
04-20-2006, 08:00 AM
Same here, MONL.* I gave that last SBC champion team of 77-78 high respect, awe...the best team so far the RL has produced the last 2 decades.* It is very hard to replicate their feat kasi after that era, lagi kayo kulang sa CENTRO, one of the reason why beda has been in drought for 28 long years.

Elmer Reyes was a workhorse, complimenting the playmaking style of Frankie Lim with the snipings of Loyzaga and another power player in Chuck Barreiro and Yango.* Pana-panahon lang talaga yan.

Unfortunately for the bedans in "79, nag-gel na ang letran knights that time led by san juan, esquerra and co.

As for Mon San Juan, he played only sparingly for awhile after his ncaa days then left for the States.* *

JVYango stayed on for only two years, then left with Chito Loyzaga who had one more year of eligibility, to play in the MICAA after the Lions won in '78. Had they stayed on, history would have been different. When 1979 came, the Knights were already solid, with Tim Coloso coming on board. Can't remember when Romy Ang came in, along with Nonie Robles. 1980 ba silang dalawa pumasok?

I wonder what happened to Erwin Bolabola. He was the NC juniors' biggest gunner, but he didn't do as much in the Seniors. I don't know if his 56 points he made against Trinity(?) has already been broken...

skywalker
04-20-2006, 10:44 AM
I think Romy Ang played for the Knights from 82 to 84. He was part of the grand slam team.

onthebluecorner
06-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Letran-PCU do-or-die game in the 2004 season.

ESCALERA JR.
06-04-2006, 08:01 PM
^yeah, unforgetable in the sense that NATALO tayo and have lost the opportunity to win back-to-back that year. We had the chance to win that game if not for Ronjays bungling free shot that could have sealed the victory and avoid an OT. Kung di sana natalo, 3 peat na SANA tayo last season then going for a 4 peat this year.

Unforgettable because Letran was a top favorite having finished a surprising 3rd place in a PBL tourney that same year, thus having top seeding...

Unforgetable because SBC also had a heartbreaking loss to UPHR in an earlier semi-finals (the same day we lost to PCU), with their main man Cordero missing on an easy layup that could have turned the game around. Kung nagkataon, it would have been an NCAA blockbuster LETRAN- SANBEDA finals to match the ATENEO-LASALLE knockout match in the UAAP in 2004.

Unforgetable, yeah sure it was...

billabong
01-14-2007, 10:32 AM
letran-ssc-r

kerby vs homer se..

bladerunner
09-26-2007, 09:48 AM
I fondly remember Dong Libed's last second heroics in '88, my last year in HS. It made by batchmates' last year in Letran all the more memorable. Then it was on to UP for me and my whole high school barkada where we sorely missed the winning tradition of Old Letran.

Of course, one of my fondest memories of Letran was the Three-Peat in '84, my last year in grade school. Of course, it starred my idol Samboy Lim, who I met later in UP when he married my Philosophy I instructor.

Sorry for being a little off-topic, couldn't help reminiscing. :)

ARRIBA LETRAN!!!
UP FIGHT!!!

toti_mendiola
09-27-2007, 01:43 AM
I fondly remember Dong Libed's last second heroics in '88, my last year in HS. It made by batchmates' last year in Letran all the more memorable. Then it was on to UP for me and my whole high school barkada where we sorely missed the winning tradition of Old Letran.

Of course, one of my fondest memories of Letran was the Three-Peat in '84, my last year in grade school. Of course, it starred my idol Samboy Lim, who I met later in UP when he married my Philosophy I instructor.

Sorry for being a little off-topic, couldn't help reminiscing. :)

ARRIBA LETRAN!!!
UP FIGHT!!!

bladerunner ito gusto kong matanung. Maaipaliwanag kaya logically ni mrs. samboy lim ang gravity defying aerial moves ni skywalker? ;D napakahirap ipaliwanag nun.

bladerunner
09-27-2007, 02:45 PM
I fondly remember Dong Libed's last second heroics in '88, my last year in HS. It made by batchmates' last year in Letran all the more memorable. Then it was on to UP for me and my whole high school barkada where we sorely missed the winning tradition of Old Letran.*

Of course, one of my fondest memories of Letran was the Three-Peat in '84, my last year in grade school. Of course, it starred my idol Samboy Lim, who I met later in UP when he married my Philosophy I instructor.*

Sorry for being a little off-topic, couldn't help reminiscing.* :)

ARRIBA LETRAN!!!
UP FIGHT!!!

bladerunner ito gusto kong matanung. Maaipaliwanag kaya logically ni mrs. samboy lim ang gravity defying aerial moves ni skywalker?* ;D napakahirap ipaliwanag nun.

Hehe. Magandang tanong yan. Sayang, naitanong ko sana yan kay Atty. Lim nung nagkita kami kailan lang. :D

LION
09-27-2007, 02:57 PM
"Nagbebenta" na daw si Atty. Berberabe- Lim ng sabon at diapers? ;D

bladerunner
09-27-2007, 03:24 PM
"Nagbebenta" na daw si Atty. Berberabe- Lim ng sabon at diapers?* *;D

Medyo nga, Lion. Nakakapagod daw. But she's stiil vibrant and bubbly. May sideline din sya sa College of Law.
Anyway, OT na yata tayo. Sorry Mods! :)

proudknight
09-03-2008, 01:45 PM
July 25 2007, a game versus the Red lions to end the first round..

classic ending!

ESCALERA JR.
10-06-2008, 12:27 PM
July 25 2007, a game versus the Red lions to end the first round..

classic ending!

Had we won the Sept. 10 2008 2nd round elimination against the Red Lions, it would have been another classic...but turned out to be a classic "Lost" ending.

Classsic endings indeed!

dark_blue
10-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Had we won the Sept. 10 2008 2nd round elimination against the Red Lions, it would have been another classic...but turned out to be a classic "Lost" ending.

Classsic endings indeed!

Natulala ang buong Letran community doon sa buzzer-beater ni Hermida

ESCALERA JR.
10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
It was a shocking loss indeed.

Kabaligtaran nung nanalo tayo with Rey Guevara's last second stab then followed by Melegrito's steal off Aljamal's inbound pass the year before.

We need more games of this kind in the coming season!

ilovedhay
10-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Who said that height is might? when we captured season 79 after defeating arch-rival San Sebastian Stags which bannered by Fil-AM Pep Moore, Nico Uy, Chris Baluyot, Christian Coronel and Leomar Najorda their are much taller. While Letran that time was I think their tallest player was Jonathan Pinera and Eric Rodriguez who stands only 6'4 which undersize to take that post. Best shooters that time were former Squires Ronjay Enrile and Boyet Baustista. Louie Alas prove his greatness as a Coach.