PDA

View Full Version : Strongest La Salle Seniors Team Ever!

shyboy
03-23-2006, 07:15 PM
The first two DLSU champion teams in the UAAP (1989 and 1990) and the 1991 Green Archer squad (who won the championship on the hardcourt) featured arguably the strongest teams La Salle has ever produced.

Here are the lineups as shared by rektikano in one of the threads in ap.com.

1989 DLSU champion team :

4- Richard Del Rosario 6'4" c/pf
5- Eddie Viaplana 6'2" sf
6- Johnedel Cardel 6'0" og/sf
7- Rafa Dinglasan 6'0" og/sf
8- Teddy Monasterio 6'1" pg
9- Jun Limpot 6'6" c
10- Jonas Mariano 6'0" og
11- Lincoln Lim 5'11" og/pg
15- Joey Santamaria 6'3" pf
16- Gee Abanilla 5'9" pg
17- Arnel Guste 6'2" pf
18- Dong Vergiere 5'11" pg
19- Jun Toral 6'2" sf
20 - Oliver Bunyi 6'5" c

1990 DLSU champion team:

4- Pons Castelo 6'3" sf
5- Eddie Viaplana
6- John Cardel
7- Rafa Dinglasan
8- Teddy Monasterio
9- Jun Limpot
10- Jonas Mariano
11- Noli Locsin 6'3" pf
12- Richard Bachmann 6'5" c
15- Dwight Lago 6'3" pf/sf
16- Gee Abanilla
17- Arnel Guste
18- Dong Vergiere
19- Adi Papa 5'9" pg

The 1991 DLSU champion team :

4- Alvin Magpantay 6'2" sf
5- Oliver Bunyi
6- Johnedel Cardel
7- Elmer Lago 6'2" sg
8- Jason Webb 6'1" sg
9- Jun Limpot
10- Jonas Mariano
11- Noli Locsin
12- Dickie Bachmann
15- Dwight Lago
16- Tonyboy Espinosa 5'7" pg
17- Arnel Guste
18- Aljun Garcia 5'11" pg
19- Adi Papa

Kid Cubao
03-24-2006, 08:00 AM
my initial vote goes to all the champion pumaren teams from the dynasty years of 1998-2001 and the 2004 edition. however, as i read through the conmposition of the 1989 to 1991 teams, all i can say is, "not bad, not bad at all." jun limpot was the standout constant in all three. sayang, he wasn't able to parlay his success in college to win championships in the pros.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Matindi yung 1989 team because Manong Derrick had to convert Teddy Monasterio to a point guard from a shooting guard the previous year (1988). Walang nakuhang pamalit, I mean able na pamalit to the graduating Dindo Pumaren.

gamberro
03-24-2006, 05:16 PM
The first two DLSU champion teams in the UAAP (1989 and 1990) and the 1991 Green Archer squad (who won the championship on the hardcourt) featured arguably the strongest teams La Salle has ever produced.

9- Jun Limpot 6'6" c
16- Gee Abanilla 5'9" pg
17- Arnel Guste 6'2" pf
19- Jun Toral 6'2" sf
20 - Oliver Bunyi 6'5" c

1990 DLSU champion team:

4- Pons Castelo 6'3" sf
5- Eddie Viaplana
6- John Cardel
7- Rafa Dinglasan
8- Teddy Monasterio
9- Jun Limpot
10- Jonas Mariano
11- Noli Locsin 6'3" pf
16- Gee Abanilla
17- Arnel Guste
18- Dong Vergiere
19- Adi Papa 5'9" pg

The 1991 DLSU champion team :

4- Alvin Magpantay 6'2" sf
5- Oliver Bunyi
6- Johnedel Cardel
7- Elmer Lago 6'2" sg
8- Jason Webb 6'1" sg
9- Jun Limpot
10- Jonas Mariano
11- Noli Locsin
12- Dickie Bachmann
15- Dwight Lago
16- Tonyboy Espinosa 5'7" pg
17- Arnel Guste
18- Aljun Garcia 5'11" pg
19- Adi Papa

Jun Limpot?!? Db nde pa nakatikim ng Champion yan?!? Am i ryt?!?

bchoter
03-24-2006, 05:19 PM
^ Nakatikim na sya sa lahat ng levels except sa PBA

gamberro
03-24-2006, 05:20 PM
^ Nakatikim na sya sa lahat ng levels except sa PBA

OIC!!! Tnx 4 the info!!!

paralusi
03-31-2006, 02:10 PM
the 1994 la salle team, was as good and as complete a team anyone could ever assemble. during the preseason, they were expected to replicate what ust did the year before - sweep the elims. they were not able to sweep, and had the misfortune of losing to the defending champions in the finals - which would sadly become a familiar ending for all the telan-led teams in the 90s.

Rektikano
04-01-2006, 11:31 AM
^^^

The 1994 LaSalle team was strong but lacked ceiling. The starting center was 6'6" Mark Telan and starting power forward was 6'2" Allen Glenn Patrimonio with 6'3" rookie Maui Roca and 6'2" Juno Sauler coming off the bench to relieve the 2. Furthermore, both Telan and Patrimonio were just sophomores then and as mentioned, Roca, still a rookie although Sauler was a senior already. We also had 1 additional big man in 6'3" Javellosa but he was seldom used.

UST had veterans Dennis Espino and Edmund Reyes that year plus upcoming rookie Richard Yee. Nevertheless, the Archers gave them a good fight and could've won the title if, maybe, Tonyboy Espinosa was around to quarterback. Instead, Jason Webb had to be converted to a point guard in the finals. But it was an opportunity to LaSalle as it allowed coach Virgil to put in LaSalle's best wingmen all at the same time in 6'1" Jason Webb, 6'2" Tyrone Bautista and 6'2" Elmer Lago. But you are correct. This team was one of LaSalle's best.

The Archers suffered 2 losses in the elims that year.The first was against UST in which a ref nullified Patrimonio's free throw that could've won the game saying Allen stepped on the line while taking it. HAHA! Instead the game went into overtime and UST carved out the win. The second loss was inflicted by arch rival Ateneo. Junie Rentosa and Red Camua were so hot in that game as the Archers couldn't get anything right. Good thing the Junior Archers beat the Eaglets in the previous game to ease the loss somehow. hehe...

The Archers ended the elims as the number 1 seed and faced FEU in the final 4. This was the game wherein Tonyboy Espinosa went down with an ACL after Michael Oliver chased him down during a fastbreak play. The game went down the wire. With the score tied and only seconds left, Bryant Punzalan, who was atop the key on the 3 point line made an ill advised center pass to a cutting big man that was intercepted. Tyrone Bautista quickly dashed down court as he received the fastbreak pitched for the twinner and game winner..

UST, on the other hand was just ranked number 3 behind number 2 UE which boasted rookie of the year Bobby Diloy plus big men Mar Morelos and another I forgot, hehe.. UST beat UE twice to advance to the finals. I guess everybody here know what happened in the finals as Elmer Lago missed that game winner for LaSalle.

I'll try to recall the 1994 team:

Alvin Magpantay, Dominique Uy (rookie from LSGH), Chris Javellosa, Elmer Lago, Jason Webb, Maui Roca, DonDon Valerio (rookie from Mapua High), Moss Grau (rookie from LSGH), Aljun Garcia, Juno Sauler, Mark Telan, Allen Glenn Patrimonio, Tonyboy Espinosa, Tyrone Bautista.

Luigi Trillo was injured in 1994. The blue chip recruit was supposed to be NCAA juniors mvp DonDon Valerio. But he got injured that year and never really recovered throughout his playing career. I think he was able to play in the defunct MBA though. One interesting thing to note was a story told to me by DonDon Valerio in those days. He was being recruited by then coach Virgil Villavicencio and in one of the scrimmages of LaSalle, Henry Ong, also a former Red Robin and his batchmate came with him and also wanted to try out for LaSalle. Henry, as DonDon relayed, was ready to don the LaSalle jersey if accepted. But, sad to say, coach Virgil just couldn't accept him as LaSalle was overloaded in the wingmen spot with Webb, Magpantay, Bautista, Lago plus then incoming rookies Grau and Valerio. The rest as they say is history.

Another thing to note was the lack of spots for the Sison brothers, Brandon and Brian, out of LaSalle Zobel that year. The 2 played the shaded area for the junior Archers but were suited more in the wings.

Rektikano
04-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Matindi yung 1989 team because Manong Derrick had to convert Teddy Monasterio to a point guard from a shooting guard the previous year (1988). Walang nakuhang pamalit, I mean able na pamalit to the graduating Dindo Pumaren.

Teddy Monasterio was a shooting forward in 1988. The starting guards were Dindo Pumaren and rookie Lincoln Lim out of CKSC.

bombet
04-11-2006, 06:51 AM
I think the 1988 La Salle Team was just as strong as the 1989 Team. It nearly beat a strong Ateneo team composed of Jun Reyes, Danny Francisco, Alex Araneta, Olsen racela, Eric Reyes, Kenneth Nieto, Canlas, among others. The 1989 line-up were mostly holdovers from the 1988 team. Mr. Rektikano, can you please list the complete line-up of the 1988 team? Thanks!!!

Rektikano
04-11-2006, 12:11 PM
I'll try to recall the 1988 team....

Eddie Viaplana, Johnedel Cardel (rookie), Rafa Dinglasan, Teddy Monasterio, Jun Limpot (rookie), Dindo Pumaren, Jonas Mariano (rookie), Lincoln Lim (rookie), Dickie Bachmann, Joey Santamaria, George Peralta (rookie/masters student), Afable, Gee Abanilla, Richard Del Rosario, Arnel Guste...

bigfreeze_bibby
04-11-2006, 01:16 PM
May Afable din palang naglaro sa DLSU. All the while I thought that Ateneo lang ang may Afable na naging basketball varsity.

shyboy
04-11-2006, 03:07 PM
That's BJ Afable. Probably related to Gene and the other Afable's of Ateneo.

bombet
04-13-2006, 02:53 AM
Thanks, Mr. Rektikano for the 1988 line-up! The 1993 line-up mirrored the 2003 squad in which it was rookie-laden like the Archers were in a rebuilding phase. Among the promising rookies were Telan, Patrimonio and Trillo. Can I request anyone to list the complete line-up? Mr. Rektinkano...?

04-13-2006, 07:01 AM
BJ Afable did not make it to Team A.

Eric Afable,* his older brother, did.* *8)

Rektikano
04-13-2006, 06:23 PM
^^^^

You are right 1979. It was Eric Afable who made the team..

1993 team : Alvin Magpantay, Elmer Lago, Jason Webb, Luigi Trillo, Aljun Garcia, Juno Sauler, Mark Telan, Allen Glenn Patrimonio, Tonyboy Espinosa, Tyrone Bautista, Chris Tan, Chris Javellosa....Can't remember the rest...hehe....

bombet
04-14-2006, 02:27 AM
I can't remember the 6-9 guy who played with Adonis Sta. Maria. What years did he suit up for La Salle? I Know another 6-9 guy who played during the early years of the Archers in the UAAP. I think his name is Lacson. Also, what years did Chris Tan played for La Salle? He is the stepson of Norman Black. He was from LSGH.

bigfreeze_bibby
04-14-2006, 10:06 AM
I can't remember the 6-9 guy who played with Adonis Sta. Maria. What years did he suit up for La Salle? I Know another 6-9 guy who played during the early years of the Archers in the UAAP. I think his name is Lacson. Also, what years did Chris Tan played for La Salle? He is the stepson of Norman Black. He was from LSGH.

You are referring to Vincent San Diego for the 6'9" guy who played with Adonis. In practices, it was also Adonis who was teaching the kid the moves inside the shaded lane since San Diego isn't that mobile to move around the basket. Parang panakot lang din although nakakakuha naman siya ng rebounds during his playing stint with the Archers.

I think Chris Tan entered 1993 as well since he wasn't a part anymore of the 1998 champion team, so I assumed that his last playing year was in 1997.

Rektikano
04-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Vince San Diego was in the Archers' lineup for 4 years, from 1997-2000..

Chris Tan came to LaSalle via LSGH in 1992 together with former Red Cubs Tyrone Bautista and Emerson Roque. He played for 5 years 'till 1996 and just like Tyrone, never tasted a championship in the UAAP. Although both got a national intercollegiate title when LaSalle defeated Adamson for the 1994 title.

bombet
04-15-2006, 05:52 AM

Chris Tan came to LaSalle via LSGH in 1992 together with former Red Cubs Tyrone Bautista and Emerson Roque. He played for 5 years 'till 1996 and just like Tyrone, never tasted a championship in the UAAP. Although both got a national intercollegiate title when LaSalle defeated Adamson for the 1994 title.

How about Emmerson Roque? I know he was a standout for the Red Cubs. How many years did he play for La Salle? I saw him play for La Salle against Ateneo. He never lived up to his promise as a promising cager.

Rektikano
04-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Emerson Roque played only 1 year for the Green Archers, though I understand he stayed and finished his studies. In 1993, he was up against Luigi Trillo for the third point guard spot behind juniors Tonyboy Espinosa and Aljun Garcia.

shyboy
04-15-2006, 10:35 PM
BJ Afable did not make it to Team A.

Eric Afable,* his older brother, did.* *8)

Oh, sorry for the mistake there. I remembered seeing BJ Afable play in a game but can't exactly recall where. Hmm, baka sa practices lang sa gym. Can't even recall what Eric Afable looks like.

bombet
04-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Emerson Roque played only 1 year for the Green Archers, though I understand he stayed and finished his studies. In 1993, he was up against Luigi Trillo for the third point guard spot behind juniors Tonyboy Espinosa and Aljun Garcia.

I read in another thread about the San Beda Red Cubs that emmerson roque was robbed of a spot in the 1993 squad because "pinersonal" daw sya ni Villavicencio. His spot was given to another player who was related to the coaching staff. Was that true?

Rektikano
04-18-2006, 08:48 PM
^^^^

hmm.... I don't really know what happened with Emerson Roque, but Tyrone Bautista told me that the point guard competition then was stiff with Tonyboy, Aljun, incoming rookie Luigi Trillo, Roque vying for spots.

I think you are referring to former baby Falcon TonTon Abad. This guy was so good in high school. He played with Alenn Glenn Patrimonio. Yeah, too bad he wasn't given a chance by coach Virgil. Let's not speculate. Iwan na lang natin dyan yan.. :)

bombet
04-21-2006, 12:23 AM
^^^^

hmm.... I don't really know what happened with Emerson Roque, but Tyrone Bautista told me that the point guard competition then was stiff with Tonyboy, Aljun, incoming rookie Luigi Trillo, Roque vying for spots.

I think you are referring to former baby Falcon TonTon Abad. This guy was so good in high school. He played with Alenn Glenn Patrimonio. Yeah, too bad he wasn't given a chance by coach Virgil. Let's not speculate. Iwan na lang natin dyan yan.. :)

Ok. About Abad, I think he won the MVP during his last year with the Baby Falcons when they won the juniors crown. Yup, I was able to watch the championship game won by adamson. Allen Patrimonio was a teammate of Abad.

bombet
04-26-2006, 02:04 AM

About the National Inter-collegiate, I remember La salle winning a number of national intercollegiates during the time of Limpot and company. Do you remember how many and when they did it?

There was a national inter collegiate title game wherein Eddie Viaplana out-duelled Bobby Jose of UST during the championship match won by DLSU. Was it during 1988?

Rektikano
04-26-2006, 10:59 PM
^^^

Yeah, I think it was 1988, summer of '88 in fact, because that was the first time I heard of George Peralta.

04-27-2006, 10:08 AM
I Know another 6-9 guy who played during the early years of the Archers in the UAAP. I think his name is Lacson.

^^^
He is Raymond Lacson. He's with PAL now.

MonL
04-27-2006, 10:24 AM
I Know another 6-9 guy who played during the early years of the Archers in the UAAP. I think his name is Lacson.

^^^
He is Raymond Lacson.* He's with PAL now.

See "Those Who Could Have Been" in the General Discussions Section....

aduccul
06-11-2008, 09:48 PM
for me cyempre ung may resulta ung DLSU TEAM nung 4 peat dynasty. . . the main factor 4 time uaap mythical team membr Ren-Ren Ritualo
Support Cast
Allado
Aldeguer
Cortez
Cardona

LION
06-12-2008, 08:09 AM
^^^^

Emerson Roque played SG during his Red Cub days. Did not have the instinct and skills of a PG. He flourished as a 5'10 SG in high school but in college, he was just too short to play that position.

The_Big_Cat
06-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Emerson Roque played SG during his Red Cub days. Did not have the instinct and skills of a PG. He flourished as a 5'10 SG in high school but in college, he was just too short to play that position.

I recall seeing Emerson Roque started a few games at point guard at DLSU then. That time may injury si Luigi Trillo mga 3 games siya nag start for the Archers.

OT: LION, during the '91 NCAA Juniors season ang shooting guard noong Red Cubs ay si Darwin Patulan while Roque was the slashing small forward, Rensy Bajar (then 2nd yr) was the PG, Tyrone Bautista was the center and Tolentino (forgot the first name, anak ni Elias Tolentino) was the power forward.

lekiboy
06-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Emerson Roque played SG during his Red Cub days. Did not have the instinct and skills of a PG.* He flourished as a 5'10 SG in high school but in college, he was just too short to play that position.* *

I recall seeing Emerson Roque started a few games at point guard at DLSU then. That time may injury si Luigi Trillo mga 3 games siya nag start for the Archers.

OT: LION, during the '91 NCAA Juniors season ang shooting guard noong Red Cubs ay si Darwin Patulan while Roque was the slashing small forward, Rensy Bajar (then 2nd yr) was the PG, Tyrone Bautista was the center and Tolentino (forgot the first name, anak ni Elias Tolentino) was the power forward.

trivia lang..
emerson is my batchmate and so is darwin patulan..( RIP)

- emerson was my classmate in gr 4 then he went to the staes- he went back a batch lower than me...SG talaga-
- darwin is a combo guard... feared by a lot of his opponents- in and out of the court... :)
- the killer PG during our senior year was Jerome Ilao- still plays in our alumni league...
i still see theseguys during NCAA games and the frolics processions - we will miss darwin though...

ballzebub
06-12-2008, 05:18 PM

9- Jun Limpot 6'6" c
16- Gee Abanilla 5'9" pg
17- Arnel Guste 6'2" pf
19- Jun Toral 6'2" sf
20 - Oliver Bunyi 6'5" c

1990 DLSU champion team:

4- Pons Castelo 6'3" sf
5- Eddie Viaplana
6- John Cardel
7- Rafa Dinglasan
8- Teddy Monasterio
9- Jun Limpot
10- Jonas Mariano
11- Noli Locsin 6'3" pf
16- Gee Abanilla
17- Arnel Guste
18- Dong Vergiere
19- Adi Papa 5'9" pg

lakas nitong team na ito, but not on paper.* this team went up against twice-to-beat powerhouse feu in the finals and, well... won twice ;D.* feu boasted of postanes, andy garcia, vic pablo, johnny abbarientos, etc.

pepman
11-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Can we consider this?

1998 DLSU Line-up

Don Carlos Allado
Fernando Aldeguer III
Alvin Castro
Ronald Cuan
Ramon Jose
Calijohn Orfrecio
Florendo Riutalo, Jr.
Allen Glenn Patrimonio
Vincent San Diego
Adonis Sta. Maria
Dominique Uy
Dionisio Valerio
William Joel Wilson
Francisco Javier Zamora

Head coach: Franz Pumaren
Assistant coaches: Luigi Trillo, Gelacio Abanilla, Patrick Belardo

The_Big_Cat
11-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Can we consider this?

1998 DLSU Line-up

Don Carlos Allado
Fernando Aldeguer III
Alvin Castro
Ronald Cuan
Ramon Jose
Calijohn Orfrecio
Florendo Riutalo, Jr.
Allen Glenn Patrimonio
Vincent San Diego
Adonis Sta. Maria
Dominique Uy
Dionisio Valerio
William Joel Wilson
Francisco Javier Zamora

Head coach: Franz Pumaren
Assistant coaches: Luigi Trillo, Gelacio Abanilla, Patrick Belardo

Sila Patrimonio, San Diego, Valerio at Zamora lang ang hindi yata nakatungtong sa PBA.