mike mustre
chris calaguio
freddie webb
willie miller
who else
add more....

Wang-Bu
03-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Kung sa galing at galing rin lang wala na sigurong mas gagaling pa kay Samboy Lim. Total package si Skywalker. Maraming nagsasabi na wala daw siyang depensa. Pwede ka bang na-under kay Ron Jacobs ng hindi ka natutong magdepensa? Ang best asset ni Samboy magandang fundamentals niya kasama ng depensa.

Magaling din 'yung Willie Miller, maari pa ngang masabing mas magaling pa kay Samboy. After all nag-MVP na si Miller. Kaya nga lang mas gusto kong itanghal si Samboy kasi naiiba siya sa generation niya ng players. Si Miller kahit gaano pa siya kagaling marami namang katapat sa ngayon, gaya nina Mark Caguioa o Brandon Cablay.

May ilang underrated na Knights na gusto ko ding banggitin gaya nila Billy Moody, John Prior, JP Pacheco, Anton Viloria at 'yung gagong frustrated Knight na si Macoy, na tambay sa fishball duon sa labas ng gym. Itong mga hindi gaanong nakilala ang tunay na dahilan na umariba ang Letran nuong mga naunang title years nila.

Siempre parangalan na din natin ang mga current Knights gaya nina Boyet Bautista na gameface.ph Hardcore Player, Aaron Aban, Big Mac Andaya at ang walang kakupas-kupas na Ronjay Enrile.

ESCALERA JR.
03-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Talk about the Grandest Knights during their eras:

In the 50's - definitely it was Lauro "The FOX" Mumar leading the dreaded Murder INC.to glory.

The 60's, the brightest of the lot was Freddie WEBB, a '72 Munich Olympian and a mixture of lesser known stars in the names of Nemie Villegas and Larry Albano, both later became varsity coaches that gave Letran the crown in the 70's and mid 80's.

The 70's Knights were led by giant David Regullano, Rudy Hines with sharp-shooter Ricky Pineda and brother Molet. Just before the end of the decade in '79, it was the era for Ramon San Juan with Itoy Esguerra.

80's was the brightest decade for the Knights in the NCAA with LETRAN winning the first 3-peat in '82-'83-'84 then followed by a Back to Back in 1986-87. Avelino "SkyWalker" SAMBOY LIM's was the GRAND KNIGHT of that era. Other stars were Romy Ang, Dong Libed, Jerry Ruiz and Cayetano Salazar.

Early 90's saw the emergence of Gilbert Castillo, Mike Mustre and Sasuman who all played sparingly in the PBA and MBA. Later in 98-99 the stars of the team are now strutting their wares in the PBA with Chris Calaguio (SMB), Kerby "MVP" Raymundo of Purefoods and Willie "The REAL MVP" Miller of TNT.

The winning tradition continues to this day. Knight RONJAY Enrile, and future stars Boyet Bautista, Aaron ABAN, BIG MAC Andaya and many more upcoming squires who will soon become KNIGHTS in shining armour. ARRIBA to all !!!

esjay
03-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Talk about the Grandest Knights during their eras:

In the 50's - definitely it was Lauro "The FOX" Mumar leading the dreaded Murder INC.to glory.

The 60's, the brightest of the lot was Freddie WEBB, a '72 Munich Olympian and a mixture of lesser known stars in the names of Nemie Villegas and Larry Albano, both later became varsity coaches that gave Letran the crown in the 70's and mid 80's.

The 70's Knights were led by giant David Regullano, Rudy Hines with sharp-shooter Ricky Pineda and brother Molet.* Just before the end of the decade in '79,* it was the era for Ramon San Juan with Itoy Esguerra.

80's was the brightest decade for the Knights in the NCAA with LETRAN winning the first 3-peat in '82-'83-'84 then followed by a Back to Back in 1986-87.* Avelino "SkyWalker" SAMBOY LIM's was the GRAND KNIGHT of that era.* Other stars were Romy Ang, Dong Libed, Jerry Ruiz and Cayetano Salazar.* *

Early 90's saw the emergence of Gilbert Castillo, Mike Mustre and Sasuman who all played sparingly in the PBA and MBA.* Later in 98-99 the stars of the team are now strutting their wares in the PBA with Chris Calaguio (SMB), Kerby "MVP" Raymundo of Purefoods and Willie "The REAL MVP" Miller of TNT.

The winning tradition continues to this day. Knight RONJAY Enrile, and future stars Boyet Bautista, Aaron ABAN, BIG MAC Andaya and many more upcoming squires who will soon become KNIGHTS in shining armour. ARRIBA to all !!!

if i may to add the Fox mumar was a part of the 1948
olympic basketball team

how can we forget

1. the fajardo brothers
fely and gaby fajardo serves the philippine basketball team (1948 - 52)
2. Angel de leon
3. Julian Malonzo
4. Terry Saldaņa
4. Rino Salazar

during the 90's there are alot of promising young stars that never made it to the pro from letran ...they are stand outs that never had a chance to strut their wares in the pro league ....

1. Arabit ( pg ) was one ...who eventually played for the iloilo volts in the mba, he is a johnny abarrientos type of player with a great leadership in the court.

2. Evidente( pg ) _ a skimpy point guard who is an olsen racela type of intensity

3. Prior ( pg ) - an effective point guard who plays like a silent type jimwell torion

add more ...

esjay
03-23-2006, 10:37 PM
The NCAA champion team of 1950, Murder Inc. was led by team captain Lauro Mumar, Dr. Herminio Astorga, Nilo Verona, Ricardo Panis, Jose Maria Iglesias and former Manila International Airport manager Luis Tabuena. The other members were Adriano Barata, Cristino Cui, Juan del Castillo, Jose Gutierrez, Narciso Maņalac, Cesar Seguerra, Melquiades Manicsic, Senen Obiadas, Leodegario Pilones and Antonio Vidal. Their coach was Angel de Leon, who was a member of the school's first NCAA senior champion in 1938.

MonL
03-24-2006, 10:33 AM
if i may to add the Fox mumar was a part of the 1948
olympic basketball team

how can we forget

1. the fajardo brothers
fely and gaby fajardo serves the philippine basketball team (1948 - 52)
2. Angel de leon
3. Julian Malonzo
4. Terry Saldaņa
4. Rino Salazar

during the 90's there are alot of promising young stars that never made it to the pro from letran ...they are stand outs that never had a chance to strut their wares in the pro league ....

1. Arabit ( pg )* was one ...who eventually played for the iloilo volts in the mba, he is a johnny abarrientos type of player with a great leadership in the court.

2. Evidente( pg )* _ a skimpy point guard who is an olsen racela type of intensity

3. Prior ( pg ) - an effective point guard who plays like a silent type jimwell torion

add more ...

How about big man Nathaniel Castillo, Tim Coloso, Pedrito Aniņon, Ed Baldomero and speedy Alex Marquez, before he left for La Salle.....
Ed Baldomero pampered Itoy Esguerra. He was Esguerra's spear carrier, always setting him up for those dagger shots from way out... Aniņon has three point range and most of his shots would have been* three pointers had that line been drawn in that era..

esjay
03-24-2006, 02:17 PM
as for the best player for the knights

SAMBOY NEVER EVEN GET AN INDIVIDUAL AWARD INJURIES WAS THE CULPRIT OFCOURSE BUT STILL INCLUDED WITH THE 25 GREATES PBA PLAYER OF ALL TIME

HOPEFULS FOR THE DISTINCTION

MILLER - ONE TIME MVP AND ONE OF THE HOPEFULS TO BE AN OLYMPIAN IN MENS BASKETBALL

RAYMUNDO - A SELF PROCLAIMED MVP WITH SO MUCH FUTURE AHEAD OF HIM

CALAGUIO - LETRAN STANDOUT WITH HIGH HOPES BUT OVER SHADOWED IN THE PRO RANKS

arriba95
03-24-2006, 02:34 PM
who would forget the 1992 champion team....

gilbert castillo
joy peņa
carlo espiritu
willy milan
wilmon yu
ron(?) marcelo
joey(?) banez

and the rest of the guys..

walang superstar in this team, lahat pwedeng maging threat

halos lahat pa sa kanila may outside shooting!

one of the best teams ever!

arriba letranista!

toti_mendiola
03-24-2006, 02:53 PM

gilbert castillo
joy peņa
carlo espiritu
willy milan
wilmon yu
ron(?) marcelo
joey(?) banez

arriba letranista!

in my book, Joy Pena, won that championship for Letran. He is one hardcore player, he really plays hard. Parang si Morano at Manucat nuon.

esjay
03-24-2006, 03:15 PM

gilbert castillo
joy peņa
carlo espiritu
willy milan
wilmon yu
ron(?) marcelo
joey(?) banez

arriba letranista!

in my book, Joy Pena, won that championship for Letran. He is one hardcore player, he really plays hard. Parang si Morano at Manucat nuon.

During the 1987 ncaa where the knights a classic down the wire by no less than isko libed last second shot to clinch the victory again against the stags.

a five year drought, i remember the 1992 championship where coach rudy hines was still calling the shots for the knights against the stags whcih they swept ...it was "RONALD PENA" - (if my memory serve me right) BANNERED TEAM I GUESS

salsa caballero
03-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Parang limot na 'ata sina Jerry Gonzales, Itoy Esguerra at Edison Cubabcub. The latter, a plodding but effective big man.

esjay
03-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Parang limot na 'ata sina Jerry Gonzales, Itoy Esguerra at Edison Cubabcub. The latter, a plodding but effective big man.

they are effective big men during their time but unfortunately they didnt sustain what theyve started during their college era

skywalker
03-25-2006, 12:32 PM
IMO, the best knight cager is Samboy Lim. But my favorite is FERNANDO LIBED. Man, i cant forget THE SHOT he made during the 1987 NCAA championship. Im sure you guys can still remeber that shot. Whew, it was fantastic. I saw that game twice on TV, thanks to channel 4, they replayed that game a couple of times. I forgot the first name of this american guy who also played for 1 season for the knights, he's surname is Johnson. There was this game wherein he scored on a thunderous dunk, the high school guys erupted in a cheer saying " OHH, JOHNSON YATA YAN". Oh well, those were the days. If you ask me, the the 80's was the last glory years of collegiate basketball. Names like Paras, Magsanoc, Patrimonio, Caidic, Lim, Francisco, Alvarez, Quilban, Cardel. Ooops, sorry guys, im out of the topic.

ESCALERA JR.
03-25-2006, 09:34 PM
That fil-am who played only for a year with the Knights was Don Johnson.* Funny, but he has a namesake in a famous TV series in the mid 80's - The Miami Vice starring DON JOHNSON.* Right after his rookie year, i heard he went back to the States and was never heard of again.

esjay
03-28-2006, 12:00 PM
THE FOX LARRY MURDER INC. MUMAR

Sam Miguel
03-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Ronjay Enrile for President!

This guy is as hardcore as they come, and he is truly talented. Regardless of the antics that really drive even teammates up the wall, this kid can really flat out play. He can do it all, shoot, slash, go high or low post, even (when he's willing) pass and defend, and he's a solid rebounder for a guard. I can hardly wait until he gets to the PBA. He could become a more talented version of Rudy Distrito.

bchoter
03-28-2006, 08:02 PM
He is also a "spitting" image of another hardcore player Onchie dela Cruz.

LION
03-29-2006, 07:50 AM
deleted

esjay
03-29-2006, 01:45 PM
^Basing on Ronjay's history, should we construe "spitting" in a literal way?* *:D

if we talk about spitting ...theres another player in letran who now make waves in the pba also do spits to a pcu cager ..hes kerby raymundo ...he spitted a pcu cager on the face as he was fouled hard and blocked kerby's shot ...

does ronjay has the talent to become the best ever cager out of letran ??? who knows he maybe the one whom were looking for to bring back the gulang and the intesity and the real basketball hardcore...

but as of now ..he doesnt prove a thing except in ncaa and a backup pg for rain or shine

romy
09-05-2006, 05:38 PM
greatest knights, para sakin yung mga tropa ko na si willie miller, si saclot at si arabit nalimutan nyo na ba? hardcore yung mga yun si saclot lumalamon ng buhay sa ilalim dipensa o upensa although medyo kontra pektus yung mga galaw nya pero effective nmaman instant play agad, si arabit ano na kaya nagyari sa kanya? ang bilis nun, si willie naman guwapo lang yun.......... hihihih !!!!

bluebruiser90
09-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Donking Sasuman should also be mentioned.* Didn't he play with Mustre and Johnson?* Don had the distinction of moving from the Chowking doghouse to MVP of the PBL to a fat contract with Purefoods in a little over a 12 month period in 1994-1995.* Also, the Cubacub and the Bola bola families for simply providing warm body after warm body to the Letran basketball cause.* Parang palaging may Cubacub at Bolabola na player ang Letran for more than a decade.

billabong
01-14-2007, 10:41 AM
kerby "the kid" raymundo.. a star find from brgy sta elena, orion, bataan.. duh. skulmates kami noon. He shone during CLRAA days and was spotted by Coach Alas and was eventually inducted to be a Knight. He immediately shone in his NCAA days dunking on a fastbreak, shooting accurately from the perimeter and defending opposing big men. He garnered a ROY, Most Improved Player and MVP during his stint in Letran. He was the youngest player at that time to enter PBA.

hannah17
07-09-2007, 05:01 PM
I'll go for Willie Miller...

ESCALERA JR.
07-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Wilie MILLER turning out to be the KNIGHT'S BEST EVER Cager with 2 PBA MVP'S already tucked under his belt.

One more time, Willie, pero sana next time present lahat ng players including those sa RP Training Team ;D

clej
12-28-2007, 01:01 PM
My uncle, Teddy Lansang, cannot be considered as one of the knights best ever cager but he is a member of the 1960 Champion Team together with Freddie Webb. kaya lahat kami sa family ay fans ng CSJL sa NCAA kahit most of us become thomasians. Anyway, brother school naman di ba?

ARRIBA LETRAN
VIVA SANTO TOMAS

skywalker
06-28-2008, 02:22 AM
If we will consider the player's performance during his playing years as a Knight and take away the playing career after his playing years at Letran, for me, the best Knight cager will be FERNANDO "DONG" LIBED. He may not have a sucessful basketball career after his Letran days, but during playing yeras at Letran, oh man, he's the best. He's not only a scorer but more importantly, A CLUTCH PLAYER, doesn't afraid to take game winning shots. Remember the 1987 championship game, game 3, wow, big crowd, jeering, cheering, foul words, hey, even firecrackers but all those can be forgotten except that GAME WINNING SHOT. To Libed, thanks for those great games you played for the Knights and thanks for the memories.

The_Big_Cat
06-28-2008, 09:28 AM
My LETRAN KNIGHTS All-time Mythical Five:

Romy Ang (guard)
Willie Miller (guard)
Samboy Lim (forward)
Gilbert Castillo (forward)
Kerby Raymundo (center)

Samboy Lim is the captain of this team.

-insane-
07-03-2008, 06:08 PM
para sakin MUMAR

bossman
09-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Ronjay Enrile.. Grabe explosion, Grabe din ang game!

-insane-
09-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Ronjay Enrile.. Grabe explosion, Grabe din ang game!

kaya lang para paring amateur maglaro si ronjay kahit nasa pro league na siya sayang hindi nadevelop yung skills nya

Regular Grey
09-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Saan na ngayon si Ronjay naglalaro?

ilovedhay
09-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Samboy Lim and Francis Arabit

The_Big_Cat
09-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Saan na ngayon si Ronjay naglalaro?

Coca-Cola Tigers in the PBA.

King_stag
09-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Triple A, Aaron Abril Aban. I like his game before he bulked-up, shoots treys consistently and whacks the rim hard. He got slower when he played for his final season.

OT: he signed a contract with Purefoods

-insane-
09-09-2008, 03:44 PM
yup sa purefoods na nga sha kahapon lang nag sign ng contract

The_Big_Cat
09-09-2008, 04:17 PM
The Ruiz brothers in the 80s. Jing and Robert.

bchoter
09-09-2008, 04:35 PM
San ko ba narinig o nabasa na they're not really siblings.

The_Big_Cat
09-09-2008, 04:39 PM

Come to think of it, hindi sila magka mukha. Robert is mestizo and left-handed.
But it was mentioned several times during the 1989 ABC Youth Championships held in Ninoy Aquino Stadium when Robert was part of that team, that he was the younger brother of Jing.

bchoter
09-09-2008, 04:43 PM

Come to think of it, hindi sila magka mukha. Robert is mestizo and left-handed.
But it was mentioned several times during the 1989 ABC Youth Championships held in Ninoy Aquino Stadium when Robert was part of that team, that he was the younger brother of Jing.
Yup. I heard that, too. Kaya lang after that, it was while they were in Letran yata or the PABL na that I heard they were not brothers.

bandicoot
09-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Molet Pineda

-insane-
09-13-2008, 12:10 AM
si PRIOR sayang hindi nakapasok sa pro-league galing din kasi yun

ricodgame
09-19-2008, 01:30 PM
during my stay in Letran - SPAN of 8 years.. my best players are (1998-2006)

Knights
Christian Calaguio
Kerby Raymundo
Ismael Junio - knights leader during his time
Ronjay Enrile
Boyet Bautista
Aaron Aban

Squires
Ronjay Enrile
Jay-r Reyes
JC Intal

arriba95
11-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Congratulations to our gallant Knights, Kerby "The Kid" Raymundo and Willie "The Thriller" Miller for being named to the National Team aiming to bring the Philippines back to the apex of hoops. You guys make your alma mater proud. Arriba!!!

ESCALERA JR.
02-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Well Done to WILLIE MILLER for bagging the Best Player of the ongoing PBA Championship.

Another MVP award would catapult him to the KNIGHTS Best Ever Cager Letran has produced.

Kerby Raymundo is not far behind though...and the young Knights following their footsteps are present day warriorss RJ Jazul and Ronjay Enrile.

Arriba!

Knight
03-05-2009, 05:39 AM
IMO, the best knight cager is Samboy Lim. But my favorite is FERNANDO LIBED. Man, i cant forget THE SHOT he made during the 1987 NCAA championship. Im sure you guys can still remeber that shot. Whew, it was fantastic. I saw that game twice on TV, thanks to channel 4, they replayed that game a couple of times.* I forgot the first name of this american guy who also played for 1 season for the knights, he's surname is Johnson. There was this game wherein he scored on a thunderous dunk, the high school guys erupted in a cheer saying " OHH, JOHNSON YATA YAN". Oh well, those were the days. If you ask me, the the 80's was the last glory years of collegiate basketball. Names like Paras, Magsanoc, Patrimonio, Caidic, Lim, Francisco, Alvarez, Quilban, Cardel. Ooops, sorry guys, im out of the topic.

the 1987 NCAA championship games 2 & 3 were televised, does anyone know were I can get hold of those 2 classic games?

Emon74
05-06-2009, 09:26 PM

teammates nila Jerry Gonzales at Edison Cubacub sa '82 Letran Champion team were Bobby Agner, Elmer Latonio, Erwin Santos, Robert Ruiz.

was Jerry Ruiz, Fernando Libed's teammate in the classic Letran victory over SSC in '87 the same as Robert Ruiz? ilan sa mga teammates pa nila were Art Ayson, Al David and Marlon Bolabola.

bladerunner
09-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Slightly off-topic. Samboy wore #9 in the pros, but can anyone here confirm if Samboy's jersey number in Letran was #19? I saw a picture of him wearing Letran jersey #19 in Rebound magazine. I was a Letran HS senior in '87-'88 but I can't seem to recall his number. Please help.