PDA

View Full Version : Greatest High School / Collegiate Individual Achievements

MonL
03-22-2006, 10:42 AM
To statistics junkies out there, do you have stats on highest individual scoring , rebounding, assist and blocked shot numbers in a game and average in a season?

To start with, I dont know if the highest scoring mark in a collegiate game of 55 points made by La Salle's Lim Eng Beng in 1974 was eclipsed. In the juniors division, I recall that Erwin Bola-bola of the Letran Squires punched in 54 (or was it 56?) points in one game in 1976.

Ateneo's Steve Watson made 47 points in Game 1 of the best-of-3 Championship series vs. San Beda in 1977... dunno if that was the highest ever total in a game in a finals appearance to date.

AnthonyServinio
03-22-2006, 11:05 AM
In the juniors division, I recall that Erwin Bola-bola of the Letran Squires punched in 54 (or was it 56?) points in one game in 1976.
Paolo Mendoza of UP Integrated shot a pair of 60-point games in the UAAP Juniors circa 1993-1994. Can't recall the exact amount but he was one hot scoring machine!

bchoter
03-22-2006, 11:37 AM
How about the then rookie LA Tenorio's 30 points in a championship game?

MonL
03-22-2006, 12:07 PM

That could be another....any recall on which rook made the best show in a finals appearance, be it NCAA or UAAP? So far LA still is king on this one.

admuhs_upengg
03-22-2006, 12:26 PM

That could be another....any recall on which rook made the best show in a finals appearance, be it NCAA or UAAP? So far LA still is king on this one.

Steve Watson played on the Senior team while still in Ateneo HS. I think there are a few others from other schools.

pio_valenz
03-22-2006, 02:55 PM
In the juniors division, I recall that Erwin Bola-bola of the Letran Squires punched in 54 (or was it 56?) points in one game in 1976.
Paolo Mendoza of UP Integrated shot a pair of 60-point games in the UAAP Juniors circa 1993-1994.* Can't recall the exact amount but he was one hot scoring machine!

He scored 69 points as a UPIS palyer in 1994 against the UE Pages. He also once scored 48 points (28 in the first half) as a UP Maroon in 1999 against Adamson.

paralusi
03-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Steve Watson played on the Senior team while still in Ateneo HS.* I think there are a few others from other schools.

wala yan kay benitez at gatchalian...

;D

MonL
03-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Steve Watson played on the Senior team while still in Ateneo HS.* I think there are a few others from other schools.

wala yan kay benitez at gatchalian...

;D

Can you back up your post with stats or highlights, kaibigan?

paralusi
03-22-2006, 05:39 PM

MonL, i think this is one case where the phrase res ipsa loquitur applies perfectly.

MonL
03-22-2006, 06:34 PM

MonL, i think this is one case where the phrase res ipsa loquitur applies perfectly.

Wait, let me look that up.....Yup, ignorance is bliss.

PEX! Este, pax.

And now back to regular programming.... ;D

yungha
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
edilberto mangulabnan, then of the adamson baby falcons, once scored 42 pts against the enrico-wes-bj-bugs-badjie-led ateneo blue eaglets.

it was the weirdest game. ateneo was already assured of a twice-to-beat advantage in the playoffs so they were clowning around, feeding the ball to enrico so he could dunk. coach mike reyes was exasperated, trying to get his boys to focus. meanwhile mangulabnan was running amok, leading his team to several 20+ point leads and a 16-pt lead with 3 minutes left. then the eaglets tightened up their defense, forcing the baby falcons into turnovers and scoring easy baskets. ateneo forced overtime on a corner 3 by anton dayrit with time running out. the eaglets won by 14 in overtime.

it was a great show of talent and firepower by the eaglets but a poor display of discipline and respect for the opponent.

on the ateneo side, enrico scored 30 points.

Jaco D
01-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Erwin Bola-bola.* Now that's a blast from the past.* What I admire most about this guy was that he would shoot the lights out every game he played.* Game after game after game (parang Energizer bunny).* Consistent talaga.* By the way, wala na akong narinig sa kanya after his high school playing days.* What happened to him?

ESCALERA JR.
01-10-2007, 05:21 PM
^ERWIN BOLA-BOLA is the eldest among several Bolabola bros. that played hoops for Letran.
He was a cut above the rest during his time as a Squire simply because he was "a year or 2" older than the normal high school student. He played varsity for the Knights as well but was overshadowed by the other stars of the team like Itoy Esguerra, Tim Coloso and Ramon SanJuan.

If Blue Eagle Steve Watson was a hs student already playing in College, Bola-bola was the exact opposite...a slightly older student still playing for the Jrs.

Syempre angat na angat ang laro ng "mama" against the other "totoys" pero hindi naman napag-champion ang team unlike his successor, Terry Saldana, who singlehandedly carried the Squires to their 1st crown after many years...another latebloomer in his late teens who never played college ball but went straight to the PBA in 1980.

yungha
01-15-2007, 11:57 AM
in game 2 of the 1995 uaap juniors finals, ryan pamintuan of the Ateneo Blue Eaglets tallied 4 point, 14 rebounds and 10 blocks in Ateneo's title clinching win. frontline partner sonny tadeo had something like 5 blocks of his own.

in my opinion, the undersized pamintuan remains the best Ateneo high school defensive center in AHS history - better than enrico, better than danny, beter than alex. college, though, that's a different story.

MrGotti
01-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Randy Sevilla of the 1986 Jrs. champion team once scored 42 points against the Eric Reyes and Joey Guanio led LSGH team in an MMBL game.

vickster
01-21-2007, 10:12 AM
i remember bong alvarez once scored 57 points for san sebastian including a variety of amazing slams!

genom222
10-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Current UAAP commish and San Beda Assistant Coach Ed Cordero holds the highest scoring game record in the UAAP (and maybe in the collegiate ranks) by scoring 76 points against Adamson (I think) and 54 points against NU in the same year, 1979. He went on to average 35 PPG though Kenneth Duremdez holds the highest PPG average record with 37 PPG. I know Ed personally and has seen his collection of news clips, supposedly made by fans (daw hehehe I think groupies yun, peace Ed!) Funny thing is that this did not get any headlines and was only a boxscore on the newspapers, the 54 pts even got more attention since it was against a good team...

irateluvmachine
11-06-2007, 08:50 PM
straight from your friendly neighborhood dirty-man, he who scrounges jurassic newspapers for the basketball stats of old... (and i mean REALLY old... - see MICAA expert/historian thread)

1. the late mariano tolentino is listed as a "21-year-old 1st year HS student" in the JRC seniors lineup of 1949. i dunno if this is the time when the NCAA implemented age limits for the juniors division, allowing some overaged high school players to join the seniors team...

2. among the top UAAP juniors scorers before 1970...former RP olympian gerry cruz (FEU HS), danny gavieres (UST HS) and botchok de los santos (FEU HS) all averaging around 25-30 ppg. in the NCAA juniors, not too many big scorers, the name that comes to mind right now would be kurt bachmann (20+ ppg for la salle HS, di pa ata LSGH ang tawag dun nung '50s...)

3. i think moro lorenzo's 21.2 ppg in the 1949 NCAA season stood for quite a while...this was when there was no such thing as a shot clock, so 30-point collegiate games were quite common, and teams averaged around 40-50...

i still have yet to touch on the '70s scene, as i'm researching mostly in chronological order...didn't know ed cordero was that prolific a scorer in college...