PDA

View Full Version : Now A Force To Reckon With

gameface_one
03-07-2006, 11:35 PM
THE STI COLLEGE OLYMPIANS: Now A Force to Reckon With
By Mhel Garrido for Gameface.ph

In Greek mythology, there is a group of elder gods that ruled the earth known as The Titans. The ruler of the Titans was Cronus who was dethroned by his son Zeus. Most of the Titans fought with Cronus against Zeus and were punished by being banished to Tartarus. Zeus was the leader of the group that overthrew the Titans to rule the earth, they are called the Olympians.

Just as it was written in the books, the Olympians overthrew the Titans once again to the tune of a 68 - 64 come from behind win at the start of the 5th NAASCU Men's Basketball Tournament at the Cuneta Astrodome last July 2005. Leading the charges for the team of Zeus was veteran guard Marlon Martin whose consistency at the free throw line earned the Olympians their first win over their arch-rivals, the AMA Computer University Titans. That emphatic win showed the character and demeanor that the Olympians exhibited from the start of the tournament until the end of the elimination round. Coming from an 8th place finish in their maiden year, no one expected the once erratic Olympians would suddenly spring back to life and more so defeat a talented AMA team. Credit the turn around to veteran coach Vic Ycasiano and his hardworking deputies namely Asst. Coach Hubert delos Santos, together with team therapist JM Balboa and statistician Paulo Ycasiano. Their dedication in making sure that the team is well conditioned and at the same time mentally prepared for each battle reaped its dividends when the elimination round ended. The Olympians were led by three players who made it to the NAASCU Mythical 10: shifty point guard Jojo Belano, sharp shooting off guard Dexter Micutuan and the no-nonsense forward Ramon Mabayo. They ended the double round elimination with a card of 11 wins and five losses for third place and the right to meet 2nd Placer ST. Clare College—the only team to beat the eventual five-time NAASCU champion University of Manila. The band of Zeus was not to be denied their place in history as they came back from a six point (51-57) deficit with 2:45 left in the fourth quarter as they hit the Saints with a bolt of lightning with a crippling 13-0 run to barge into the NAASCU finals with a 64-57 hard earned win over a stunned St. Clare College.

That win suddenly put STI College in the basketball map of the Philippines! Fifteen months ago, no one has ever heard of STI as contender much more a team that will give any experienced university or college a run for their money. Unfortunately for them, the system placed by Coach Vic Ycasiano and team management has now come into fruition. The Olympians are looking at the Fr. Martin Cup as a means to hone their basketball skills through games against the country’s finest teams, preparing themselves for the coming 6th NAASCU season. According to top UAAP and NCAA teams like FEU, UST, Ateneo, San Beda, & Letran, its just a matter of time and STI will hit it big in the Philippine basketball scene. The Olympians are hopeful that it can repeat or even do better in the coming NAASCU with the exposure that they are having lately. As a result, the STI brand of basketball has gotten a big boost and management is currently designing a nationwide STI basketball development program through its more than 100 branches nationwide in search of future Olympians.

Here is a team with virtually no big named star that is continuing to make waves in the Philippine basketball scene. Expect more good things and surprises to come because in STI we make things happen.

bchoter
03-08-2006, 10:13 AM
If STI is serious in building a basketball program they will have a distinct advantage in scouting over big-name schools with their numerous 'campuses' all over the country.

Mhel_Garrido
03-08-2006, 10:42 AM
STI is indeed making use of its network of colleges to produce basketball players who we hope will someday represent the Philippines in international competitions. We are just in our second year of our basketball operations and we do hope that by putting up a nationwide basketball program we can hopefully discover future nationals. We know it will take some time, will have some problems etc but that is where the excitement comes.

AnthonyServinio
03-08-2006, 05:10 PM
NOW this is what you call starting from nothing!

When the STI Olympians joined the Fourth NAASCU as an expansion team, Coach Victor O. Ycasiano had a team that was basically a ragtag selection from the school intramurals. Therefore, the end result was not surprising.

After that, he went on a recruiting binge, getting the players he really needed and wanted. This coupled with entering the Olympians in a wide range of inter-school and commercial leagues and the rest as they say is history.

arhtmahn
03-08-2006, 05:34 PM

We all know that Mhel Garrido was instrumental in getting the STI basketball program rolling and we are all well aware that he is a bit on the dark side (I'm not talking about Star Wars), but I deem it unfair to call him nothing.* Peace, Mhel.* I've seen your team in action.* I believe that you're going in the right direction and that you're all doing a heck of a job given the constraints that you have.* Good luck.

Mhel_Garrido
03-08-2006, 06:55 PM

We all know that Mhel Garrido was instrumental in getting the STI basketball program rolling and we are all well aware that he is a bit on the dark side (I'm not talking about Star Wars), but I deem it unfair to call him nothing.* Peace, Mhel.* I've seen your team in action.* I beleive that you're going in the right diection and that you're all doing a heck of a job given the constraints that you have.* Good luck.

Abay loko!!! Nayari tuloy ako! hehehe. ;D
Actually i so excited with the STI team lalo na sa forthcoming Fr. Martin Cup. Hope we do good.

Anthony,
Sana Coach Vic Ycasiano can now say without batting an eyelash na we can beat UM. Hehehe :D

atlas
03-09-2006, 07:59 PM
hmmmm with all the preparations and entrance of new players, the forthcoming Fr. martin cup and 6th season of the NAASCU is going to be another exciting basketball year for STI College Olympians.

Out_Of_The_Blue
03-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Mhel, is there an AMA - STI rivalry in amateur basketball? Haven't heard hyped before?

Mhel_Garrido
03-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Mhel, is there an AMA - STI rivalry in amateur basketball? Haven't heard hyped before?

Yes! Its a rivalry in the works. More of the SSC-Letran rivalry in the NC in the late 80s and early 90s and dating.
Unfortunately AMA has our number 4-1 in the 5 games that we played over two years. We just hope that our fortunes will change.

The rivalry is slowly gaining ground. Last season we came from 15 points down in the opener to eke out a nail biting win in the season opener. In the second round, we came back from 20 pts at the start of the fourth quarter to forge overtime. Sayang nga coz the last second lay up of our ace point guard Jojo Belano rimmed out. We lost in the second overtime.

For me the young rivalry is slowly gaining ground and if ever STI and AMA meet in the finals, that will definitely hype up the CYBER WARS as we call it.

Abangan...

sometimes salvatio
03-13-2006, 02:51 PM
mhel, pwede ring War of the (Microsoft) Words.

Mhel_Garrido
03-14-2006, 11:52 AM

If that is the case who do you think will Excel?

bchoter
03-14-2006, 12:25 PM

You have to query the Oracle about that.

sometimes salvatio
03-14-2006, 03:12 PM

You have to query the Oracle about that.

All I know is that both teams have a positive Outlook.

arhtmahn
03-14-2006, 09:08 PM
For me the young rivalry is slowly gaining ground and if ever STI and AMA meet in the finals, that will definitely hype up the CYBER WARS as we call it.

In this war, are you required to use LIGHT CYBERS? Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Mhel_Garrido
03-15-2006, 12:05 PM

In this war, are you required to use LIGHT CYBERS?* Sorry, just couldn't resist.

STI will try to WINDOWS games against AMACU.
They have beefed up for this coming season and are just quiet with their HARD DRIVE for the NAASCU.
We want to do well this season and hopefully our shots will be ON LINE & theirs OFF.
They have to remember to BYTE the bullet when playing with the Olympians!

APOLLO
03-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Good luck to the Olympians sa Fr. Martin Cup.
Hope STI will do better this year.

Mhel_Garrido
04-04-2006, 08:01 PM
The STI College Olympians won against the JRU BOmbers this morning in a practice game. I really love the way the team has blended. COmparing the team from last year we appear more prepared for the Fr. Martin Cup. PEro siyempre ka bracket ng STI ang FEU - A and Adamson who both have star studded line ups!
At least its a good start for the team and hopefully the Olympians can sustain it!

The General
04-13-2006, 08:49 PM
THAT was a good tune-up game with the EAC Generals last April 11, 2006. just like last year, tabla! looking forward in seeing you at the FMC and wishing the Olypians a successful campaign this summer!

Mhel_Garrido
07-03-2006, 07:04 PM
The 6th NAASCU Wars commence on July 22, 2006

joelex
01-31-2007, 01:34 AM
how is the offseason in the STI camp? any off season leagues aside form the FMC? :)

Mhel_Garrido
02-01-2007, 01:04 PM
The STI College Olympians just started its off season campaign by joining the Fr. Martin's Cup second semester season.

STI_COLLEGE
05-29-2007, 08:30 PM
The Olympians ended up in fourth place in FMC last march. This summer's FMC saw the Olympians sweep Group B. They will face the Arellano Flaming Arrows on June 1 for the cross over semifinals.
Good Luck to the Olympians.

Mhel_Garrido
05-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Hirap magbalita pag busy. Anyway, in one of our practice games, the Olympians beat the Perpetual Help Altas by 4 points. Well sana magtuloy tuloy na.

Mhel_Garrido
06-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Tough luck our Olympians lost to Arellano last friday
But then again, looking at the brighter side of things, two semifinal finishes in the last two FMC's can be enough
to give our Olympians the needed confidence for the next NAASCU.
Good luck boys.

salsa caballero
06-21-2007, 01:40 PM
O, lumakas pa pala lalo ang STI! Lumipat na pala si Balneg ng Letran sa inyo......

Joescoundrel
06-22-2007, 09:31 AM
O, lumakas pa pala lalo ang STI! Lumipat na pala si Balneg ng Letran sa inyo......

Is there a residency requirement in the leagues that STI competes in or can Balneg see action right away?

AnthonyServinio
06-22-2007, 01:36 PM

Is there a residency requirement in the leagues that STI competes in or can Balneg see action right away?

* * *THE ONLY requirement considered for NAASCU players is age.* The said player must be below 25 years of age.* It does not matter for how many schools and how many years the player has been playing college ball as long as he is not 25 years of age.

* * *By the way, I don't know if Mark Balneg will be eligible since former PBL players are not allowed.* Case in point was about two seasons ago when former Adamson Falcon Steve Rolan was supposed to play for Saint Clare-Caloocan but was declared ineligible due to a previous stint with Colt 45.

* * *Entering their sevent season, I believe though that the people behind NAASCU are taking steps to rationalize their eligibility rules to something similar or close to those of the bigger leagues like NCAA and UAAP.

joelex
06-23-2007, 12:36 AM
former NU stalwarts howard flor and dave catamora are now with STI and AMACU respectively and will see action this NAA
SCU season. :)

Wang-Bu
07-23-2007, 10:02 AM
former NU stalwarts howard flor and dave catamora are now with STI and AMACU respectively and will see action this NAA
SCU season. :)

'Yun bang TIONGCO ng STI ngayon ay siya ring Tiongco ng Adamson dati?

Wala bang maximum playing years at residency requirement sa NAASCU? Kalalaro lang nina Flor at Catamora last season sa UAAP hindi ba?

Siyanga pala, ang dating San Beda aspirant na si Dexter Micutuan pinamunuan ang pagwagi ng STI sa pagbuslo ng 16 points kontra sa kanilang karibal sa negosyo na AMACU. Isa pang dating nagnais maging player sa UAAP - si Chito Jaime na dating Team B ng Ateneo - ay bumuslo ng 27 points para sa AMACU.

Mhel_Garrido
07-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Here is this school year's line up.
Dexter Micutuan, Ramon Mabayo, Michael Cabangon, Haddi Porto, Bimbo Legaspi,
Raymond Tiongco, Mark Balneg, Manuel Juan Jr., Alvin Macabasco, Jen Reyes,
Darryl Mendoza, Howard Flor, William Vasallo,Arturo Dimas, Rafael Bartolo
Rodrigo Rufin, James Tolentino
Coaches:
Vic Ycasiano, Hubert delos Santos, Jeff Villanueva
Pau Ycasiano, Ogie Ebuengga, Francis Limpin

Joescoundrel
07-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Mhel, ito bang si Ramon Mabayo ninyo ay wala pang balak mag-graduate? ;D

Just a joke, STI fans! ;D

Seriously though: how the heck did you guys ever get those big names from the UAAP and the NCAA? That is quite the motherlode.

And Mhel, I hope to see you in more of the Lady Eagles games.

Mhel_Garrido
07-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Mhel, ito bang si Ramon Mabayo ninyo ay wala pang balak mag-graduate? ;D

Just a joke, STI fans! ;D

Seriously though: how the heck did you guys ever get those big names from the UAAP and the NCAA? That is quite the motherlode.

And Mhel, I hope to see you in more of the Lady Eagles games.

Hellow Joe

Ramon Mabayo just turned 22 years old last month. Technically he is still eligible for next year but he said this might be his last. Its his 3rd year with the Olympians. He is a workhorse and a tough defender. He is one of the most focused Olympian we ever had. I think if not for his personal problems the past three years he would have been a shoo in for any UAAP or NCAA team. We are really lucky to have him. Honestly I am pressured to look for a PBL team to get a hold of him.
Grabe ang work ethic nitong batang ito, tough and physical but not dirty. HIs challenge is to always stop the opposing big man from scoring kahit sino man siya.
Sa sobrang bait nga niya, sinuntok siya ni Jaime ni hindi man lang siya bumawi.
Hope a PBL team can discover him.

joelex
07-25-2007, 12:47 AM
kung sa uaap siya, starter ba siya more or less?

is he better than say ken baracosso or james mangahas?

Joescoundrel
07-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Mhel, this guy Mabayo reminds me so much of classic tough guy swingmen like the Villarias brothers, Gelo Velasco, Jay Gayoso, Andrew Cruz and yes, even Mac Cardona. But you're right, he is quite the defender, and seems to love taking on bigger players. I thought Chito Jaime would tear his head off in that game last year that Marlo and I watched in Rizal. If he were in the PBA he'd probably be a taller Jimwell Torion or a Dante Gonzalgo-type.

Ilapit mo kay Mikee Romero sa Harbour or kay Jean Henri Lhuillier sa Cebuana. Better yet, kay Louie Alas na lang sa Toyota para magkakampi sila ni Chito-boy... ;D

Mhel_Garrido
07-27-2007, 10:29 AM
What Coach Vic instills in all his players is a sense of professionalism. Same with us. If you can see in the games Coach Vic is all fiery and always shouting at the players. But after the game, good or bad he always makes it a point to find a way back into love...eyyyy. Kasi at the end of the day one big family pa rin kami.

Ramon is quite a professional and he is always challenged by forcing his man into a turn over. In one game in the FMC would you believe i think he stood in the way of players driving in the lane and got at least 6 charging fouls from them. Siyempre meron pa yung hindi natawag. That's how tough he is. Always willing to sacrifice his body.
I think as a defender he is more of a mix of Bruce Bowen, Freddie Abuda and Ricky Relosa rolled into one. Hayop sa mix ano. ;D

bchoter
11-28-2007, 04:55 PM
In the real sense of it. And in such a short time.

Congrats doc!

Mhel_Garrido
12-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Olympians shoot down UST TIgers
(article from inboundpass.com)

STI College had its eye on the consolation prize.

The STI College Olympians used their never-say-die attitude to prevail against UST Growling Tigers, 87-81, in overtime and settle for third place last November 28, 2007 at The Arena in San Juan City.

The STI Olympians, in a grueling battle in regulation, displayed their impeccable three-point shooting skills in the extra-five minute mark and outscored the Growling Tigers, 14-8, to seal the victory.

"It's our three-point shooting that bailed us out of this game," said STI College mentor Vic Ycasiano, referring to the Olympians' 13 triples – including four in overtime. "It's also the desire of the players.

Former Letran guard Mark Balneg was on fire and exploded for 5-of-9 shooting from the three-point area, hitting 3-of-7 shots from midrange and one free throw for a total of 22 points along with 5 rebounds and 3 steals.

"Third place is alright," said Balneg, who made 9 points in the last quarter, including two important baskets that kept the game close, 70-73, with a minute left in the fourth period. "At least, we proved to everyone that we could also play here."

Haddy Porto, with only six points, delivered the crucial basket in the game – a three-pointer in the final seconds in regulation that pushed the game into overtime. UST was ahead in the first two quarters (18-16 and 32-31) but couldn't take off as planned.

Dexter Micutuan had 13 points, while James Tolentino and second mythical team selection Ramon Mabayo contributed 10 points each.

Jervy Cruz and Dylan Ababou paced UST with 21 and 20 points, respectively.

The 28 turnovers of UST cost them the game. STI College also gained 28 points from UST's lapses. The Olympians committed only 18 turnovers and the Growling Tigers only had 9 turnover points.

STI College got more assists (18-15), steals(12-8) and blocks (5-4) against UST.

Individual scores:

STI 87 — Balneg 22, Micutuan 13, Tolentino 10, Mabayo 10, Mendoza 9, Porto 6, Macabasco 5, Cabangon 5, Flor 4, Tiongco 3, Reyes 0, Dimas 0, Bartolome 0.

UST 81 — Cruz 21, Ababou 20, Mirza 11, Taylor 10, Canlas 6, Cuan 6, Allera 5, Cortez 2, Badua 0, Gile 0.

Quarter scores: 16-18, 31-32, 50-49, 73-73 (reg), 87-81 (OT)

Sam Miguel
03-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Are the Olympians joining any of this year's summer tournaments?

Who are the players to watch in your lineup?

AnthonyServinio
03-21-2008, 08:37 PM

* * *THE major challenge facing STI (and perhaps majority of the 10 other NAASCU varsities) are the new league eligibility rules that will take effect this coming school year.* Because of the new rules, almost the entire STI team was wiped out, including a lot of players who were supposed to be playing their final season of eligibility in 2008-2009.* I estimate that only two or three survived the purge.

* * *The new rules basically lower the age limit (23? or 24? from 25) and also credit the playing years spent by transferees in other college leagues like the NCAA and UAAP.* Expect to see a totally new roster for the Olympians in 2008-2009.

a_ron
03-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Now A Force To Reckon With(no more)

stonecold316
03-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Buti naman at may bagong ruling na. Hay salamat!

:D :D :D
stonecold316

Mhel_Garrido
03-31-2008, 03:13 PM
This school year promises to be another exciting one. Yes our line up will take a major facelift but I guess what is more important is that we are in Phase one of our basketball program.

The previous year saw STI make a name through various players from different NCAA and UAAP schools. Well, we that was phase one of our plan, now we are in Phase two which is to bring in new blood and hopefully train them to become a competitive team in the next two to three years.

I have been to different parts of the country and talking to most of our branches and trying to create a system that will make each STI branch a place to discover potential players and then bring them to manila.

WIll just post again as developments further develop. Ika nga nila...abangan ang susunod na kabanata.

joelex
04-03-2008, 01:59 AM
Chris Aqualafall. Jury is out but this low key recruit of STI from some African nation sporting his wild dreadlocks is sure to tear up the NAASCU next season. Letran vied for his services but STI beat them to the draw.

Standing around 6-5, not too sound fundamentally but is active around the paint, sort of a Marc Pingirs type intense player and has mad hops. Saw him swat a high looping finger roll at its peak here in Makati where he plays pick up ball to the delight of the vendors and tambays.

Mhel_Garrido
04-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Chris Aquafall. Jury is out but this low key recruit of STI from some African nation sporting his wild dreadlocks is sure to tear up the NAASCU next season. Letran vied for his services but STI beat them to the draw.

Standing around 6-5, not too sound fundamentally but is active around the paint, sort of a Marc Pingirs type intense player and has mad hops. Saw him swat a high looping finger roll at its peak here in Makati where he plays pick up ball to the delight of the vendors and tambays.

Shhhh
Wag kayo mashado maingay...di ko nga alam kung papaano ko itatago ang aking pamangkin.
Matagal pa opening but a lot of scouts are already breathing down his neck.
He will be a great help to the Olympian defense.

Mhel_Garrido
04-15-2008, 08:22 PM

We are entered in the FMC while the STI College Sta Rosa Team will play in the NSL.
I am quite excited to see how our new recruits will play against FMC teams.
During the summer Coach VIc experiments a lot to see if our players can respond to different type of
defenses and how they can show their offense.
Game 1 is this friday against De Ocampo Memorial.
Hope they do well

joelex
05-08-2008, 04:34 AM
Chris Aqualafall. Jury is out but this low key recruit of STI from some African nation sporting his wild dreadlocks is sure to tear up the NAASCU next season. Letran vied for his services but STI beat them to the draw.

apparently, said player has been hot lately with his play for the LYCEUM PIRATES in the NIKE summer league that DLSU and NU suddenly emerged as possible options for the 20 year old kid from Ghana with excellent upside. Last word is NU was his school of choice and is now practicing with the team and will serve residency this season. He apparently turned down an otherwise tempting offer from DLSU. Reports have it that Aqualafull is not keen on joining any upper tier school.

mighty_lion
05-08-2008, 07:41 AM

apparently, said player has been hot lately with his play for the LYCEUM PIRATES in the NIKE summer league that DLSU and NU suddenly emerged as possible options for the 20 year old kid from Ghana with excellent upside. Last word is NU was his school of choice and is now practicing with the team and will serve residency this season. He apparently turned down an otherwise tempting offer from DLSU. Reports have it that Aqualafull is not keen on joining any upper tier school.

Cant believe this. The Pirates got robbed. ;D

bchoter
05-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Chris Aquafall. Jury is out but this low key recruit of STI from some African nation sporting his wild dreadlocks is sure to tear up the NAASCU next season. Letran vied for his services but STI beat them to the draw.

Pirates pirated :D
Somebody I know saw him in the Millenium Basketball tourney.

Shhhh
Wag kayo mashado maingay...di ko nga alam kung papaano ko itatago ang aking pamangkin.
Matagal pa opening but a lot of scouts are already breathing down his neck.
He will be a great help to the Olympian defense.

Mateen Cleaves
05-08-2008, 03:36 PM

ah... siya na nga siguro yung nakita ko in the DLSU-NU Fil-Oil game. Noticed him as the Bulldogs were exiting the floor after the game. Naka NU uniform na. :)

Mhel_Garrido
05-15-2008, 12:39 PM
As it turned out the guy just wants to play basketball.
Although he is good defensively, we'd rather have someone with good attitude than
have a major headache.
Imagine after playing for us he suited up for LYCEUM. Hmmm galing ano.
Good luck na lang.

Mhel_Garrido
07-01-2008, 01:10 PM
A # 14 ranking among Metro Manila schools just shows that the STI College Olympians have arrived in Philippine College Basketball. WE just need to sustain this monumentum..hehe

http://bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/2008/06/blog-post_26.html

Mhel_Garrido
07-11-2008, 06:21 PM

Aha but since he cannot produce the proper papers he is now out of NU

ah... siya na nga siguro yung nakita ko in the DLSU-NU Fil-Oil game. Noticed him as the Bulldogs were exiting the floor after the game. Naka NU uniform na. :)

joelex
07-17-2008, 02:26 AM
mhel, when you get hold of your team's lineup, posting it here would be highly appreciated. :)

and player background, ht and position would be nice too.