LIM Alejandro - UV
LIMPOT Zandro - De La Salle
MENESES Vergel - Jose Rizal
PABLO Victor - Far Eastern
RACELA Rodericko - Ateneo de Manila
RAMIREZ Dennis - San Beda
RAVENA Ferdinand - East
RUIZ Robert - Letran

I think this is the greatest Philippine Junior NT (18-under) of all-time even if they did not win the ABC Juniors held in Manila.

Nine of the 12 members went on to play professional basketball. Al the players were legitimate contributors on their respective varsity teams.

The team had representatives from the best programs in the country (NCAA, UAAP and a provincial power) and was handled by a real and respected coach with a winning record in legitimate leagues.

franz888
01-26-2006, 08:48 AM
How about the junior team of the 90's?

D. Ildefonso - NU
R. Adducul - SSC
M. Telan - DLSU
P. Mendoza - UP
R. Rivera - SBC
O. Gumatay - UP
B. Gahol - UP
G. Francisco - UST

And the other 90's team:

F. Ritualo - SBC Jrs
J. Mesina - SBC Jrs
M. Bravo - SBC Jrs
E. Villanueva AHS
BJ Manalo AHS

bigfreeze_bibby
01-26-2006, 01:06 PM

D. Ildefonso - NU
R. Adducul - SSC
M. Telan - DLSU
P. Mendoza - UP
R. Rivera - SBC
O. Gumatay - UP
B. Gahol - UP
G. Francisco - UST

And the other 90's team:

F. Ritualo - SBC Jrs
J. Mesina - SBC Jrs
M. Bravo - SBC Jrs
E. Villanueva AHS
BJ Manalo AHS

I think I would like to add Jason Webb in that lineup. Actually the 90's also had their own showcase of great juniors/collegiate talent. Yung La Salle, San Sebastian, and UST teams in the 90's are strong teams that you can put up a strong collegiate team. There are the likes of Estong Ballesteros, Dennis Espino, Henry Ong, Udoy Belmonte, Siot Tangquincen, Cantonjos, Webb, Magpantay, Telan, Bautista, and the fab five for 5 peat Stags namely Adducul, Calpito, Daep, Tanigue, Ocampo, Encarnacion (sorry I don't know who starts for the Stags during that time). For the high school ranks of course you can pick standouts coming from San Beda, Ateneo, and Adamson.

gameface_one
01-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Welcome to Gameface.ph bigfreeze_bibby. Hope you can invite your other friends from the other sites to visit us and come over to this new playground of ours.

We assure you that this forum will only undertake intellectual and factual discussions or exchanges regarding hardcore amateur hoops.

bchoter
01-26-2006, 05:39 PM
1989 PHILIPPINE JUNIOR NT

Coach: BADOLATO Edmundo - San Beda

CARDEL Johnedel - De La Salle
FEIHL Edward Joseph - Santo Tomas
FRANCISCO Daniel - Ateneo de Manila
GUANIO Joselito - UP-Diliman
LIM Alejandro - UV
RAVENA Ferdinand - East
RUIZ Robert - Letran

I think this is the greatest Philippine Junior NT (18-under) of all-time even if they did not win the ABC Juniors held in Manila.

Nine of the 12 members went on to play professional basketball.* Al the players were legitimate contributors on their respective varsity teams.

The team had representatives from the best programs in the country (NCAA, UAAP and a provincial power) and was handled by a real and respected coach with a winning record in legitimate leagues.
And all players are legit. My favorite juniors team is the one bannered by Hec Calma and Alfie Alamario, although most are over the age limit

chba_dude
01-26-2006, 05:40 PM
If I remember correctly, it was Adducul, Calpito, Rodney Santos, Encarnacion or Ocampo and Tanigue who started for the Stags then...

AnthonyServinio
01-27-2006, 01:30 AM

D. Ildefonso - NU
R. Adducul - SSC
M. Telan - DLSU
P. Mendoza - UP
R. Rivera - SBC
O. Gumatay - UP
B. Gahol - UP
G. Francisco - UST
Here's the full line-up of that team that competed in the 1994 ABC Juniors in Manila:

Coach: VILLAVICENCIO Virgil - De La Salle

ADDUCUL Romel - San Sebastian
FRANCISCO Gerard Raymond - Santo Tomas Pay HS
GAHOL Bryan - UP-Diliman
GUMATAY Joseph - Mapua HS
ILDEFONSO Danilo - National
MEDINA Ernest - Far Eastern
MENDOZA Paolo - UP Integrated
PATRIMONIO Allen Glenn - De La Salle
RIVERA Ralph Emerson - San Beda
TELAN Mark Clemence - De La Salle
UY Dominic Philip - De La Salle
VELASCO Angelo - Santo Tomas
RACHO Dexter - UP-Diliman (reserve)

One thing to note, this is the first Junior NT to include High School Seniors in the roster. However, the tournament was held in the summer so they were actually college-bound.

All the players except Medina went on to play professional basketball. Rivera, Patrimonio, Uy, Velasco and reserve Racho's pro experience was limited to the MBA.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-27-2006, 09:06 AM
If I remember correctly, it was Adducul, Calpito, Rodney Santos, Encarnacion or Ocampo and Tanigue who started for the Stags then...

Umabot pala si Rodney sa fab five nung mid 90's? I thought magkabatch sila ni Eugene Quilban while playing for SSC-R

Wang-Bu
01-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Ang mga nakasabay yata ni Quilban sila Django Rivera, Art De La Cruz, Nap Hatton and Peter Aguilar. Sayang si Quilban, nalulong yata sa sugal kaya hindi din masyadong nagtagal sa PBA. Doble sayang kasi nag-ROY yata siya. There was a time walang magawa si Johnny Abbarientos sa kanya, at magaling na din nung panahon na 'yon si Flying A.

Meron pang isang malakas na Youth Team, the one that had Benjie Paras and Nelson Asaytono on it. Ang pointguard yata nila si Jun Reyes.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Ang mga nakasabay yata ni Quilban sila Django Rivera, Art De La Cruz, Nap Hatton and Peter Aguilar. Sayang si Quilban, nalulong yata sa sugal kaya hindi din masyadong nagtagal sa PBA. Doble sayang kasi nag-ROY yata siya. There was a time walang magawa si Johnny Abbarientos sa kanya, at magaling na din nung panahon na 'yon si Flying A.

Meron pang isang malakas na Youth Team, the one that had Benjie Paras and Nelson Asaytono on it. Ang pointguard yata nila si Jun Reyes.

Tama ka dito pare. There was a time that Johnny A can't get past by Eugene and on the other end, Eugene was also scoring at will. Sayang na player ito, he would have a better career if he stayed in the League kung totoo nga na he became a gambler.

AnthonyServinio
01-28-2006, 11:27 AM
1986 PHILIPPINE JUNIOR NT

Coach: LIPA Jose - UP-Diliman

ADLAWAN Arnold - San Sebastian
ALVAREZ Paul - San Sebastian
ASAYTONO Nelson - University of Manila
BACHMANN Richard - De La Salle
JOSE Roberto - Santo Tomas
MAGADA Mar Anthony -
ORILLOSA Romulo - Adamson
PARAS Venancio - UP-Diliman
REALUBIT Rizaldy -San Jose-Recoletos
REYES Enrique - Ateneo de Manila
REYES Gilbert - Ateneo de Manila

This team should receive special citation because they only prepared 45 days and still finished second to China in the 1986 ABC Juniors in Manila.

The team was formed quickly after the original team composed of amateur superstars Alvin Patrimonio, Jojo Lastimosa, Jerry Codinera, et al admitted they were overaged. *That marked the "end" of overaged Pinoy Junior NT's.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Paul Alvarez? Di ba sa Baste siya galing?

AnthonyServinio
01-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Paul Alvarez? Di ba sa Baste siya galing?
Typo error, switched with Nelson's (has been corrected already).

Anyway, the error was partially correct because Mr. Excitement took his high school at UM.

oca
01-31-2006, 08:54 AM

Tama ka dito pare. There was a time that Johnny A can't get past by Eugene and on the other end, Eugene was also scoring at will. Sayang na player ito, he would have a better career if he stayed in the League kung totoo nga na he became a gambler.

Not privy to the personal lives of players. But publicly, I do remember Quilban's game began to decline when he was accused of raped. Mukhang pera lang ang habol sa kasong yun and I don't remember it going to trial proper.

Sayang.

oca
01-31-2006, 09:31 AM
Coming off the "age-scandal" triggered by the admission of Glenn Capacio of his real age, making him and the 9 others ineligible for the Jrs. NT, this team Coached by Joe Lipa is tops in my list.

This was the FIRST OF ALL LEGIT JUNIORS NT.

With just 45 days prior to the start of the event we hosted, and still needing to call for try-outs, it didn't even have the benefit of a tune-up tournament.

I saw the championship game at the ol' Rizal Memorial. We ended up second behind China.( I do remember Adiljan as the point guard of China then. He went on to their Men's team and started in the World Men's Championship where China finished a "prominent eight place". )

It was apparent na kulang sa cohesion ang team. What could we expect from a bunch of kids who were playing together for just about 30 days with no exposure to int'l play or even a local tune-up tournament ?

But it was a gallant stand by our "kids".

One poignant scene I recall was, at the sound of the final buzzer, our team immediately walked towards the locker room. Jun Reyes was at left at center court half-kneeling and head bowed in tears. Benjie Paras was about to walk through the exit but glanced back on instinct. He saw Jun Reyes, who apparently was not aware that the rest of the team had stepped out of sight of the playing arena. Benjie Paras walked back "at inakay palabas si Jun Reyes".

Many were not aware, but Patrimonio and Codinera were ELIGIBLE to play in this event. But their fathers disallowed their kids out of principle. Nadamay kasi sa isang "panloloko" ang mga anak nila at minabuti na nilang huwag nang paglaruin. Patrimonio and Codinera were "borderline cases" with respect to age-limit.

Both were celebrating their birthdays November, the same month the Championships were held. But the event was ORIGINALLY scheduled summer and to be hosted by another country. The original host backed out, and no one was willing to assume the hosting chores. It was offered to us, and being a basketball country, it was not difficult on our part have it here.

We all know there are cut off dates with respect to submission of line-ups and age requirements in events with age limits. Eligible sina Alvin at Jerry based on the original schedule. Kung na-postpone man, it doesn't disqualify any player from any country who celebrated his birthday after the original holding date of the event.

Anyway, tapos na yun, but it was a missed chance we may never have again- a legit Asian Juniors Champion.

MAGADA Mar Anthony -

This team should receive special citation because they only prepared 45 days and still finished second to China in the 1986 ABC Juniors in Manila.

The team was formed quickly after the original team composed of amateur superstars Alvin Patrimonio, Jojo Lastimosa, Jerry Codinera, et al admitted they were overaged. *That marked the "end" of overaged Pinoy Junior NT's.

chief
01-31-2006, 10:04 AM

95-96 Stags:
Tanigue, Santos, Rodney, Daep, Valera, Adducul
Notable Bench: Santos, Rommel, Encarnacion, Ocampo, Valera, Basilides, Calpito

96-97 Stags:
Tanigue, Ocampo, Encarnacion, Calpito, Adducul
Notable Bench: Valera, Basilides, Barbosa, Medina

97-98 Stags:
Tanigue, Ocampo, Encarnacion, Calpito, Adducul
Notable Bench: Robinson, Barbosa, Medina

Feel free to fill-in other notable benches.

bchoter
01-31-2006, 10:48 AM
I remember Adiljan being heckled by the crowd because he looked old (he probably was) with his thinning hair.

I, too, was not aware that Patrimonio and Codinera could have played for the team.* A Paras, Codinera, Patrimonio, Realubit, and Asaytono frontline rotation, with Mulong, Bobby Joe, and Joey Guanio on the wings, would have been a better match against the Chinese.* BTW, Mar Anthony Magada was, I think, from the Trinity College, which used to be a member of the NCAA.

Coming off the "age-scandal" triggered by the admission of Glenn Capacio of his real age, making him and the 9 others ineligible for the Jrs. NT, this team Coached by Joe Lipa is tops in my list.

With just 45 days prior to the start of the event we hosted, and still needing to call for try-outs, it didn't even have the benefit of a tune-up tournament.

I saw the championship game at the ol' Rizal Memorial. We ended up second behind China.( I do remember Adiljan as the point guard of China then. He went on to their Men's team and started in the World Men's Championship where China finished a "prominent eight place". )

It was apparent na kulang sa cohesion ang team. What could we expect from a bunch of kids who were playing together for just about 30 days with no exposure to int'l play or even a local tune-up tournament ?

One poignant scene I recall was, at the sound of the final buzzer, our team immediately walked towards the locker room. Jun Reyes was at left at center court half-kneeling and head bowed in tears. Benjie Paras was about to walk through the exit but glanced back on instinct. He saw Jun Reyes, who apparently was not aware that the rest of the team had stepped out of sight of the playing arena. Benjie Paras walked back "at inakay palabas si Jun Reyes".

Many were not aware, but Patrimonio and Codinera were ELIGIBLE to play in this event. But their fathers disallowed their kids out of principle. Nadamay kasi sa isang "panloloko" ang mga anak nila at minabuti na nilang huwag nang paglaruin. Patrimonio and Codinera were "borderline cases" with respect to age-limit.

Both were celebrating their birthdays November, the same month the Championships were held. But the event was ORIGINALLY scheduled summer and to be hosted by another country. The original host backed out, and no one was willing to assume the hosting chores. It was offered to us, and being a basketball country, it was not difficult on our part have it here.

We all know there are cut off dates with respect to submission of line-ups and age requirements in events with age limits. Eligible sina Alvin at Jerry based on the original schedule. Kung na-postpone man, it doesn't disqualify any player from any country who celebrated his birthday after the original holding date of the event.

Anyway, tapos na yun, but it was a missed chance we may never have again- a legit Asian Juniors Champion.

MAGADA Mar Anthony -

oca
02-01-2006, 09:16 AM
^
Kung kasama sina Patrimonio at Codinera, 'di lang basta "better match against the Chinese" ang nangyari. I firmly believe we could have won the title.

Remember that the Mens NT, of which Alvin and Jerry were main players, just came from that historic bronze medal finish at the Asian Games. They called it the "golden bronze". Hence, against a Juniors competition, this two should dominate.

Asaytono and Paras were unstoppable in that championship match. When Benjie fouled out early, Nelson was left to carry the load of the scoring chores. Jun Reyes was never known as a 3-pt shooter, and against the Chinese zone he was reduced to calling the plays but has limited options whom to set up in offense.

Pero kung naroon sina Alvin at Jerry...

Naghihinayang lang ako dahil, gaya ng naisulat ko na, it may have been the only chance we have of winning the Asian Juniors title with a legit line-up.

Now that basketball has turned global,* lots of young kids from our neighbors have taken into the game. We have lost the edge of having kids who are "mature players even at 18".

Besides, from what we have seen of other Juniors team in the recent years, do you really believe our neighbors comply with that age limit as we do?

Kaya malabo na talaga tayo mag-Asian Juniors champion muli.

bigfreeze_bibby
02-01-2006, 01:58 PM
I think kung high school and college basketball lang din naman ang pag-uusapan e may laban pa naman tayo dyan. Remember the tournament wherein Artadi, Yap, and even Erick Arejola joined before na sponsored pa ata sila ng Absolute mineral water na Asian juniors meet, I think nanalo tayo doon and that shows na even in the youth level of basketball, we can still earn the respect of our neighboring countries. Sa professional lang talaga tayo sumasablay.

oca
02-02-2006, 01:32 PM
^
But the Asian Juniors Championship is the crown jewel of all junior events for basketball.

The rest can be liken to satellite events in tennis w/ the Asian Jrs. as THE MAJOR EVENT.

bchoter
02-02-2006, 02:41 PM
I hope the new Basketball association will have the major college leagues represented so it would be easier for them to lend their top players in major tourneys.

AnthonyServinio
02-11-2006, 09:02 PM
My favorite juniors team is the one bannered by Hec Calma and Alfie Alamario, although most are over the age limit
1982 PHILIPPINE JUNIOR NT
Coach: JACOBS Ron
Coach: PUMAREN Filomeno

ALFARERO Teoducio - De La Salle
ALMARIO Alfredo - De La Salle
AUSTRIA Leovino -
BRILL Luis - San Beda
CALMA Hector - Adamson
CUENCO Reynaldo -
MENDOZA Richard -
PUMAREN Frederick - De La Salle
REYES Elmer - San Beda
TAN Leoncio -
UICHICO Joseph - De La Salle
YTURRI Jose Antonio - De La Salle
COPODA John - (reserve)
VALENCIANO Ludovico - De La Salle (reserve)

This was the last Philippine Junior NT to win the FIBA-Asia Juniors, doing the trick in 1982 at the jampacked Araneta Coliseum. The event's most memorable image will be then First Lady Imelda Marcos kissing on the cheek the hero of the finale versus China, the late Alfie Almario. Aside from Almario, two other team members in Alfarero and Cuenco have already passed away.

Only Pumaren, Brill, Uichico, Mendoza and Copoda failed to graduate to the pro ranks. However, Pumaren and Uichico went on to be champion PBA coaches. Almario, Austria, Calma, Reyes, Tan and Yturri went on to land coaching jobs in both the pro and major amateur and school leagues.

Regarding the issue raised on their ages, just read the latest PBA Annual for more information. :o

AnthonyServinio
02-13-2006, 11:59 PM
1990 PHILIPPINE JUNIOR NT

Coach: RODRIGUEZ Francis

AQUINO Marlou - Adamson
AQUINO Richard - Jose Rizal
DELA CRUZ Segundo - Adamson
FERNANDEZ Teodorico III - Negros Occidental-Recoletos
LOCSIN Luis Manuel - De La Salle
MARIANO Jonas Mario - De La Salle
NARON Peter - University of the Visayas
ONG Wilmer - Saint La Salle-Bacolod
PINEDA Giovanni - Adamson
TORRES Joaquin Dindo - Santo Tomas
VICTORIA Emmanuel - San Beda
CABALUNA Renato - Santo Tomas (reserve)
FEIHL Edward Joseph - Santo Tomas (reserve)

This is another of the honorable mention teams, even though they placed only in Fourth. They could just be one of the tallest Junior NT ever assembled. Sadly, seven-footer Feihl fell ill before the team left for Nagoya, Japan and was replaced by Torres. Still, there was 6'9" Marlou and three others standing 6'5" and above in Limpot,Ong and Pineda and a 6'3" Naron with the skills of a guard.

All the players except for Richard Aquino, Cabaluna and Torres made it to the PBA and MBA pro ranks.

Kudos should also be given to the coaching staff for identifying and including talents from provincial schools in Fernandez, Ong and Naron.

chief
02-14-2006, 07:58 AM
BTW, whatever happened doon sa ibang teammates nila James Yap and Paul Artadi in the late 90s?

I know they were coached by Boysie Zamar, and their other players include Kim Gandarosa <SBC Jrs., Adamson Srs.> and Gerwin Gaco.... Whatever happened to their other players?

Parang I noticed pa-konti ng pa-konti ang mga napupunta sa pro-ranks....

Joescoundrel
03-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Anthony, I never knew Naning Valenciano (Juniors NT 82) attended Lasalle. I always thought he was a Raging Red Bedan...

pio_valenz
03-02-2006, 07:21 PM

MAGADA Mar Anthony -

The sad thing about that runner-up finish was that the Filipino fans never fully appreciated what the team had actually achieved. Finishing second was a major, major achievement in itself given the short period of time the boys had to prepare. After the loss to China in the championship match, the crowd booed and hurled insults at Lipa. I guess the public had grown accustomed to Lipa always delivering the goods, since he was fresh from the bronze medal finish in the Asian Games and steering UP to the UAAP crown. As it turned out, no other youth team has so far managed to duplicate that runner-up finish.

Mhel_Garrido
03-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Watched this game on Television. Alfie Almario was a sight to behold while Hector Calma was so masterful in bringing together the team. It was only after 1986 did i realize na over age na pala silang lahat! ;D

My favorite juniors team is the one bannered by Hec Calma and Alfie Alamario, although most are over the age limit
1982 PHILIPPINE JUNIOR NT
Coach: JACOBS Ron
Coach: PUMAREN Filomeno

ALFARERO Teoducio - De La Salle
ALMARIO Alfredo - De La Salle
AUSTRIA Leovino -
BRILL Luis - San Beda
CALMA Hector - Adamson
CUENCO Reynaldo -
MENDOZA Richard -
PUMAREN Frederick - De La Salle
REYES Elmer - San Beda
TAN Leoncio -
UICHICO Joseph - De La Salle
YTURRI Jose Antonio - De La Salle
COPODA John - (reserve)
VALENCIANO Ludovico - De La Salle (reserve)

This was the last Philippine Junior NT to win the FIBA-Asia Juniors, doing the trick in 1982 at the jampacked Araneta Coliseum.* The event's most memorable image will be then First Lady Imelda Marcos kissing on the cheek the hero of the finale versus China, the late Alfie Almario.* Aside from Almario, two other team members in Alfarero and Cuenco have already passed away.

Only Pumaren, Brill, Uichico, Mendoza and Copoda failed to graduate to the pro ranks.* However, Pumaren and Uichico went on to be champion PBA coaches.* Almario, Austria, Calma, Reyes, Tan and Yturri went on to land coaching jobs in both the pro and major amateur and school leagues.

Regarding the issue raised on their ages, just read the latest PBA Annual for more information.* *:o

Mhel_Garrido
03-09-2006, 06:37 PM
[1986 PHILIPPINE JUNIOR NT

MAGADA Mar Anthony -

This is my favorite JNT. The star player of China then was # 9 SONG LI GANG and he was all that i remember because he was so strong and parang "mama" maglaro at his age. (kung talagang 19 nga siya) Ma JIAN was a silent contributor in this team but it was only in 1989 that he really went on to show his true worth to the Chinese Jr. team.
Danny Francisco was suppose to be with this team also, unfortunately because he was so busy catching up with his academics as a HS Senior he didnt pursue his slot anymore. The big revelation here for me was the Firecracker Bobby Jose and the outside sniping of Joey Guanio. The big let down was "Karl"Mulong Orillosa. Hindi umubra ang pagka suwapang niya.
Benjie Paras was at his best in this tourney and so was the Bull and Mr. Excitement.

I just love this team. Sumisiksik pa kami sa bleachers ng RIzal Coliseum just to watch them. This batch also produced one or Taiwan's best forward in the name of Cheng.

For me "he Nose"Joe Lipa did a great job in making this team a fighting squad.

Mhel_Garrido
03-09-2006, 06:42 PM
1989 PHILIPPINE JUNIOR NT

Coach: BADOLATO Edmundo - San Beda

CARDEL Johnedel - De La Salle
FEIHL Edward Joseph - Santo Tomas
FRANCISCO Daniel - Ateneo de Manila
LIM Alejandro - UV
RAVENA Ferdinand - East
RUIZ Robert - Letran

Nandy Garcia was suppose to be with this team but apparently over age na rin siya by that time. This was the coming out party of Vergel Meneses.* Olsen showed signs of maturity here but was ridiculed when we lost to Japan.* The surprise package here* is Jojo Lim & Dennis Miranda.* Its nice to remember this team with Danny F., Vic Pablo and Jun Limpot as the frontliners together with the high flyers in Cardel, Meneses & Ravena.

Baka pwedeng mag dream match ang 86 and 89!

chief
03-10-2006, 01:21 PM
I just love this team. Sumisiksik pa kami sa bleachers ng RIzal Coliseum just to watch them. This batch also produced one or Taiwan's best forward in the name of Cheng.

You mean Cheng Chih Leung, the person who almost made it to the NBA before Ma Jian tried his hands on it?

STI_COLLEGE
03-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Yeah i believe thats him. He single handedly brought back chinese taipei to life and that was the start of his illlustrious asian career.

AnthonyServinio
03-15-2006, 10:44 PM

You mean Cheng Chih Leung, the person who almost made it to the NBA before Ma Jian tried his hands on it?
Cheng Chih Leung or "The Dragon" was the biggest and highest paid star of Taiwanese basketball in the 1990's. He was a fixture on their National Teams until the CTBA decided to go on a youth movement a couple of years ago.

Cheng is actually half-American and half-Chinese and has since been elected into Taiwan's parliament.

salsa caballero
03-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Their Center, 6-6 Chu Chi Ching, was also quite good. A high leaper, he was a good match-up for our own pride and joy, Benjie Paras. Those were fun days...

admuhs_upengg
03-21-2006, 05:38 PM
What about the 1970 RP Youth team that beat South Korea to win the ABC in Manila? Who was on that team? That was one of my earliest memories of watching basketball. My father and I (5 years old) sat in the front row behind the Korean bench. Didn't that team have Mon Fernandez and Bernie Fabiosa?

MonL
03-21-2006, 08:05 PM
What about the 1970 RP Youth team that beat South Korea to win the ABC in Manila?* Who was on that team?* That was one of my earliest memories of watching basketball.* My father and I (5 years old) sat in the front row behind the Korean bench.* Didn't that team have Mon Fernandez and Bernie Fabiosa?

Bernie Fabiosa played on the 1974 editionof the RP Youth Team. That team had the fathers of the current crop of NC and UAAP stars:
Freddie Hubalde, F, 6-0
Florendo Ritualo, Sr., F-C, 6-3
Danilo Pribhdas, 6-3 (R.I.P)

The rest of the team was, as far as I can remember:
Bernie Fabiosa, G, 5'9
Bert DelaRosa, G-F, 6-0
Alfonso "Boy" Mora, G, 6-0
Jojo de Guzman, G, 5-9
Hubert Filipinas, C, 6-3
Chingching Marcelino, G, 6-0
Romualdo Cabading, F, 6-2 (R.I.P.)
Pablo "Chiqui" Ocampo IV, G, 6-0

The coach then was Nilo Verona.

Who did I miss out of memory gap?* :D
Only Chiqui Ocampo did not play in the PBA. The league opened shop in 1975.

This was, at the time, and* in physical terms the strongest national team ever assembled. Before they trained for the tournament, only the 5-9 Jojo de Guzman could dunk the ball. After several months under football trainer Juan Cutillas, the six footers could easily make two handed slams, the smaller players could already reach the ring. At that time, only the tall players of that era like the 6-6 Ed Carvajal could dunk... At that time, the dunks they did during warmups was a show of intimidation. They kept the title then with an unbeaten slate.

...and now, decades later,* even 5-9 players could do two-handed reverse slams.... mais sa dieta?

MonL
03-21-2006, 08:26 PM
The Asian Basketball Championship was held in Manila in 1973. We won the crown against nemesis South Korea. That unbeaten squad was composed of (memory gaps permitting):

William Bogs Adornado
Robert Sonny Jaworski
Jaime Mariano
Francis Arnaiz
Ramon Fernandez
Joy Cleofas
Rosalio Yoyong Martirez
Manuel Paner
Rogelio "Tembong" Melencio, R.I.P
Alberto Guidaben
David Regullano
Alberto "Big Boy" Reynoso

I'm not sure if Danny Florencio was on this team... I remember he was banned for life sometime then...

What I do remember was Melencio brawling with the rugged South Koreans, and the Philippine Flag waving inside the Rizal Coliseum in the midst of a sea of ecstatic Filipinos who witnessed the team regain the ABC title...

I also remember:
Adornado was labeled then as "Asia's Deadliest", "Jawo" was a dirty player ("rugged" daw), Joy Cleofas' booming shots, and Francis Arnaiz without a beard...
And Valentin "Tito" Eduque, coach, who always wore white from head to foot....

admuhs_upengg
03-21-2006, 09:06 PM
The Asian Basketball Championship was held in Manila in 1973. We won the crown against nemesis South Korea. That unbeaten squad was composed of (memory gaps permitting):

I'm not sure if Danny Florencio was on this team... I remember he was banned for life sometime then...

What I do remember was Melencio brawling with the rugged South Koreans, and the Philippine Flag waving inside the Rizal Coliseum in the midst of a sea of ecstatic Filipinos who witnessed the team regain the ABC title...

I also remember:
Adornado was labeled then as "Asia's Deadliest", "Jawo" was a dirty player ("rugged" daw), Joy Cleofas' booming shots, and Francis Arnaiz without a beard...

Danny Florencio was not a member of that team, he indeed was among several players banned for life due to the game-fixing scandal involving Crispa players, Cezar, Co, Soriano, etc. All of them were later reinstated and some were part of the 1974 Asian Games team that placed only fourth behind the likes of China and Israel (which was still competing in Asia at that time). We also competed in the 1974 World Cup by virtue of the ABC win in 1973. I think the 73 ABC team formed the core of that team and we placed 13th beating only the Australians and some African team I think.

admuhs_upengg
03-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Asaytono and Paras were unstoppable in that championship match. When Benjie fouled out early, Nelson was left to carry the load of the scoring chores. Jun Reyes was never known as a 3-pt shooter, and against the Chinese zone he was reduced to calling the plays but has limited options whom to set up in offense.

Jun Reyes did develop a 3-pt shot later on in his UAAP career and the stint in that '86 team with Paras et. al. boosted his confidence and leadership enormously, leading Ateneo to its back-to-back championships in 87 and 88.

bchoter
03-22-2006, 10:26 AM

William Bogs Adornado
Robert Sonny Jaworski
Jaime Mariano
Francis Arnaiz
Ramon Fernandez
Joy Cleofas
Rosalio Yoyong Martirez
Manuel Paner
Rogelio "Tembong" Melencio, R.I.P
Alberto Guidaben
David Regullano
Alberto "Big Boy" Reynoso

I also remember:
This, for me, is the earliest basketball-related stuff that I can remember. I remember my brothers doing the Bogs Adornado pump fake over and over. Tembong was uncles' favorite 'pulutan' and their favorite Tembong move was the 'pitik' during rebound play. Those were colorful times with the aforementioned ban on some players due to game-fixing, Jawo and big Boys' suspension a few years later, the Crispa-Toyota rivalry, the sometimes controversial RP Team selection, until the formation of Asia's first pro league.

admuhs_upengg
03-22-2006, 11:16 AM
This, for me, is the earliest basketball-related stuff that I can remember. I remember my brothers doing the Bogs Adornado pump fake over and over. Tembong was uncles' favorite 'pulutan' and their favorite Tembong move was the 'pitik' during rebound play. Those were colorful times with the aforementioned ban on some players due to game-fixing, Jawo and big Boys' suspension a few years later, the Crispa-Toyota rivalry, the sometimes controversial RP Team selection, until the formation of Asia's first pro league.

I always thought that the Jawo and Big Boy lifetime suspension for punching a referee (was it Bartolome or Cahanding ?) was before the Crispa gamefixing scandal. They had been reinstated and had joined the Toyota Comets from the disbanded Meralco Reddies just prior to the 73 ABC. What about Dave Regullano's black Converse All-Stars? You're right about the basketball leagues being colorful. It was at a time of the great rivalries (Yco - Ysmael, Crispa - Meralco) when players and teams truly disliked each other.

salsa caballero
03-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Not to be nitpicky* :) but I think the Jawo and Big Boy lifetime suspension for punching a referee (was it Bartolome or Cahanding ?) was before the Crispa gamefixing scandal. What about Dave Regullano's black Converse All-Stars?* You're right about the basketball leagues being colorful.* It was at a time of the great rivalries (Yco - Ysmael, Crispa - Meralco) when players and teams truly disliked each other.

I believe it was Cahanding. Wasn't it because of their subsequent reinstatement that Jawo now owes "Spar" Puyat bigtime? The imposition and lifting of the "Lifetime Ban" was certainly big news during the Daily Express, Bulletin Today and Times Journal era...

...and yes, who can forget Dave Regullano and those shoes? Those shoes were eclipsed only by Regullano's notoriety for being able to rack up as many as 4 fouls as early as the first quarter of a ballgame...

bchoter
03-22-2006, 11:29 AM
This, for me, is the earliest basketball-related stuff that I can remember.* I remember my brothers doing the Bogs Adornado pump fake over and over. Tembong was uncles' favorite 'pulutan' and their favorite Tembong move was the 'pitik' during rebound play. Those were colorful times with the aforementioned ban on some players due to game-fixing, Jawo and big Boys' suspension a few years later, the Crispa-Toyota rivalry, the sometimes controversial RP Team selection, until the formation of Asia's first pro league.

Not to be nitpicky* :) but I think the Jawo and Big Boy lifetime suspension for punching a referee (was it Bartolome or Cahanding ?) was before the Crispa gamefixing scandal.* They had been reinstated and had joined the Toyota Comets from the disbanded Meralco Reddies just prior to the 73 ABC.* What about Dave Regullano's black Converse All-Stars?* You're right about the basketball leagues being colorful.* It was at a time of the great rivalries (Yco - Ysmael, Crispa - Meralco) when players and teams truly disliked each other.

I guess my memory was foggy at best :D

admuhs_upengg
03-22-2006, 11:46 AM
On the opposite side of the spectrum, I really felt for the 1975 RP team and those that followed. That team had

Tito Varela
Rudy Hines
Jaime Taguines
Gil Cortez
Jojo de Guzman
etc

bchoter
03-22-2006, 11:54 AM
It's interesting to note that a lot of the players mentioned above have producedsecone generation ballers.

MonL
03-22-2006, 05:51 PM
The issue of the Philippines sending overaged players to the Youth tournament probably traces its origins to 1980, when Elpidio "Yoyoy" Villamin, who was with the 1978 edition Youth team, returned as the Philippines' starting center on the 1980 team which had the dubious distinction to have been the first Youth Team ever to lose a game and the title.....

How about "novelty" players, or those who for some physical distinction was widely read about and watched.
Examples of RP Youth players falling under this are:

Jojo de Guzman, 5-9, the first player under six feet known to jump high enough to dunk;
Bonifacio "Boni" De Jesus (rest his soul), the tallest player in the 70s at 6-8, who could jump just high enough to leave the ground one inch....

bchoter
03-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Arnold Adlawan is probably the shortest while EJ Feihl is the tallest

admuhs_upengg
03-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Jojo de Guzman was a pretty good player who enjoyed some success with Filsyn/Tefilin in the PBA. Injuries dogged him his whole career.

Mel
08-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Sama ko lang si Rommel Daep and Alvin Pua doon sa 97 team ng BAste.

kryptonite
08-12-2006, 01:50 AM
Sama ko lang si Rommel Daep and Alvin Pua doon sa 97 team ng BAste.

I don't think Rommel Daep was ever a member of the Junior NT. Alvin Pua, I'm not sure, maybe the Youth team.

AnthonyServinio
01-11-2007, 02:22 AM
* * *SINCE BAP-bashing is in vogue these days, just let me refresh everybody how our 18-Under team has done ever since it was handled by their multi-titled coaching genius Johny Tam, one-time errand boy of illegal alien Graham Lim.

* * *2000 - Did not compete for the first time in history due to lack of funds for the FIBA-Asia Juniors tournament to be held in Malaysia (but the BAP sent the Under-20 team of Coach Boycie Zamar to Qatar for the FIBA-Asia Young Men);

* * *2002 - Failed to qualify past the SEABA sub-zone elimination tournament for the first time in history.* That prompted the House of Representatives to call BAP officials for a public hearing in aid of legislation where Tam gave his famous excuse "I took the (coaching) job because nobody wanted it".* He later blamed the schools for not releasing their players, claiming he went with a team of replacements;

* * *2004 - Finished in 13th place among 16 entries at the tournament in India.* The team was composed of the best players Tam could fool into donning the national colors.* Tam had some sort of redemption earlier in the summer of that year when a different team led by San Beda Red Cubs Ogie Menor, Jay-R Taganas, James Martinez and Red Lion Martin Antonio retained the SEABA Juniors in Lucena City.* Again, Tam blamed the schools for not allowing his original players to join to FIBA-Asia joust which coincided with the NCAA and UAAP seasons;

* * *2006 - Did not compete due to country's suspension from FIBA.

billabong
01-14-2007, 10:21 AM
what about the team bannered by kerby raymundo? marc pingris?

irateluvmachine
10-24-2007, 03:47 PM
interesting thread... ;D

up ko lang.

What about the 1970 RP Youth team that beat South Korea to win the ABC in Manila? Who was on that team? That was one of my earliest memories of watching basketball. My father and I (5 years old) sat in the front row behind the Korean bench. Didn't that team have Mon Fernandez and Bernie Fabiosa?

Bernie Fabiosa played on the 1974 editionof the RP Youth Team. That team had the fathers of the current crop of NC and UAAP stars:
Freddie Hubalde, F, 6-0
Florendo Ritualo, Sr., F-C, 6-3
Danilo Pribhdas, 6-3 (R.I.P)

The rest of the team was, as far as I can remember:
Bernie Fabiosa, G, 5'9
Bert DelaRosa, G-F, 6-0
Alfonso "Boy" Mora, G, 6-0
Jojo de Guzman, G, 5-9
Hubert Filipinas, C, 6-3
Chingching Marcelino, G, 6-0
Romualdo Cabading, F, 6-2 (R.I.P.)
Pablo "Chiqui" Ocampo IV, G, 6-0

The coach then was Nilo Verona.

Who did I miss out of memory gap? :D
Only Chiqui Ocampo did not play in the PBA. The league opened shop in 1975.

This was, at the time, and in physical terms the strongest national team ever assembled. Before they trained for the tournament, only the 5-9 Jojo de Guzman could dunk the ball. After several months under football trainer Juan Cutillas, the six footers could easily make two handed slams, the smaller players could already reach the ring. At that time, only the tall players of that era like the 6-6 Ed Carvajal could dunk... At that time, the dunks they did during warmups was a show of intimidation. They kept the title then with an unbeaten slate.

...and now, decades later, even 5-9 players could do two-handed reverse slams.... mais sa dieta?

i think chiqui ocampo played in the PBA in the early '80s, for CDCP...or maybe that's a different pablo ocampo?

AnthonyServinio
10-26-2007, 02:26 AM
What about the 1970 RP Youth team that beat South Korea to win the ABC in Manila?* Who was on that team?* That was one of my earliest memories of watching basketball.* My father and I (5 years old) sat in the front row behind the Korean bench.

* * *THE 1970 Asian Youth Championships (now FIBA-Asia Juniors) was the very first edition of the event and it was held in Seoul, South Korean.* You must be thinking of the 1973 Men's NT.* Here are the members of the very first Philippine Junior NT, the undefeated champions of the the 1970 Asian Youth:

1970 PHILIPPINE YOUTH NT
ADOLFO Eusebio
ADORNADO William
CLEOFAS Ricardo
ESTRADA Ernesto
MARTIREZ Rosalio
PANER Manuel
REVILLA Johnny
SAMSON Marte
SAN DIEGO Jesus
SAN DIEGO Olympio
SULLANO Jesse
RAMOS Ignacio - Coach

Didn't that team have Mon Fernandez and Bernie Fabiosa?

* * *The immortal Ramon Fernandez was part of the 1972 Youth NT while Bernie Fabiosa was with the 1974 Youth NT.* Both tournaments were held in Manila with the country successfully defending its unbeaten streak.* Here are their teammates:

1972 PHILIPPINE YOUTH NT
BILBAO Miguel
CARVAJAL Eduardo
CEZAR Philip
CO Fortunato
DIONISIO Gregorio
DIPUTADO Marcelino
FERNANDEZ Ramon
FRANCO Reynaldo
NOBLEZADA Jaime
SALAZAR Quirino
SEGURA Rodolfo
FAJARDO Felicisimo - Coach

1974 PHILIPPINE YOUTH NT
CABADING Romualdo
CAPACIO Eleazar
DE GUZMAN Fernando
DELA CRUZ Virgilio
DELA ROSA Roberto
FABIOSA Bernard
HUBALDE Alfredo
MARCELINO Cecilio
MORA Alfonso
PRIBDHAS Danilo
RITUALO Florendo
RODRIGUEZ Carlos
VERONA Nilo - Coach

* * *After that, the next Asian Youth was held in Kuwait in 1977 folowed by Manila again in 1978 as a side event to the 1978 World Basketball Championships.* We still remained undefeated in these two tilts:

1977 PHILIPPINE YOUTH TEAM
BARREIRO Raymundo
CARPIO Bernardo
CASTILLO Nathaniel
CLARINO Alex
DASALLA Anthony
GASTON Matthew
POBLETE Roberto
LALOTA Rodolfo
LOBO Renato
MAMARIL Romulo
MANANSALA Jaime
MARIANO Ricardo
WATSON Steve
MAYORALGO Honesto - Coach

1978 PHILIPPINE YOUTH TEAM
BANAL Joel
CRISTOBAL Arturo
DE JESUS Bonifacio
DIZON Ramon
LOYZAGA Joaquin
LUCIDO Geronimo
MARQUEZ Joey
NARVASA Gregorio
PASCO Conrado
RAMAS Salvador
RAVANES Melchor
SALDANA Marte
VILLAMIN Elpidio
YANGO Jose Bernardo
VALENZONA Arturo - Coach

* * *Finally, here's the 1980 team that was the first to lose a game and fail to bring home the crown in the games held in Bangkok, Thailand:

1980 PHILIPPINE YOUTH TEAM
AMADOR Alfredo
CORDERO Edgardo
CRISTOBAL Arturo
DELA CRUZ Ramon
ESGUERRA Angelito
GONZALGO Dante
LATOZA Zaldy
LAZARO Reynaldo
LIM Francisco
MARTIN Melvin
SALDANA Antero
VALLE Joel
VILLAMIN Elpidio
VALENZONA Arturo - Coach

BigBlue
10-26-2007, 10:37 AM
1970 PHILIPPINE YOUTH NT
ADOLFO Eusebio
ADORNADO William
CLEOFAS Ricardo
ESTRADA Ernesto
MARTIREZ Rosalio
PANER Manuel
REVILLA Johnny
SAMSON Marte
SAN DIEGO Jesus
SAN DIEGO Olympio
SULLANO Jesse
RAMOS Ignacio - Coach

is this Adolfo the father of FEU's Marlon?

MonL
10-27-2007, 12:34 AM
1974 PHILIPPINE YOUTH NT
CABADING Romualdo
CAPACIO Eleazar
DE GUZMAN Fernando
DELA CRUZ Virgilio
DELA ROSA Roberto
FABIOSA Bernard
HUBALDE Alfredo
MARCELINO Cecilio
MORA Alfonso
PRIBDHAS Danilo
RITUALO Florendo
RODRIGUEZ Carlos
VERONA Nilo - Coach

* * *Finally, here's the 1980 team that was the first to lose a game and fail to bring home the crown in the games held in Bangkok, Thailand:

1980 PHILIPPINE YOUTH TEAM
AMADOR Alfredo
CORDERO Edgardo
CRISTOBAL Arturo
DELA CRUZ Ramon
ESGUERRA Angelito
GONZALGO Dante
LATOZA Zaldy
LAZARO Reynaldo
LIM Francisco
MARTIN Melvin
SALDANA Antero
VALLE Joel
VILLAMIN Elpidio
VALENZONA Arturo - Coach

I believe you left out 6'3" center Hubert FILIPINAS in the 1974 edition. He would later play for Mariwasa/Noritake in the early years of the PBA before migrating to Australia with fellow Noritake teammate Sammy Neri.

Frankie LIM would have been the starting guard for the ill-fated 1980 edition, but missed out after he broke his shooting hand after bullstrong teammate Alfredo Amador armlocked it in a scrimmage some weeks before the tournament. Thinking it was a sprain, he had the hand massaged("nilamutak ng hilot") and compounded the injury, and finally had the hand placed in a cast.

And in that team I believe was the first time where a player's age was questioned after Yoyoy Villamin played his second tour of duty for the RP Youth Team.

AnthonyServinio
10-27-2007, 12:59 AM
I believe you left out 6'3" center Hubert FILIPINAS in the 1974 edition. He would later play for Mariwasa/Noritake in the early years of the PBA before migrating to Australia with fellow Noritake teammate Sammy Neri.

* * *I already lost the Sports Weekly Magazine were I copied these rosters so I have to check elsewhere. :(

Frankie LIM would have been the starting guard for the ill-fated 1980 edition, but missed out after he broke his shooting hand after bullstrong teammate Alfredo Amador armlocked it in a scrimmage some weeks before the tournament. Thinking it was a sprain, he had the hand massaged("nilamutak ng hilot") and compounded the injury, and finally had the hand placed in a cast.

* * *In most of the lists that I posted with more than 12 players, I cannot even recall who were the reserves since they all got mixed up with the regular players who actually played.

And in that team I believe was the first time where a player's age was questioned after Yoyoy Villamin played his second tour of duty for the RP Youth Team.

* * *Actually, it was not only Yoyoy Villamin who made a return but also his fellow FEU Tamaraw Bay Cristobal.* They must have been "phenoms" at such a young age!* Well according to the PBA player register, their birthdays are as follows:

Bay Cristobal - November 24, 1956
Yoyoy Villamin - November 7, 1958
That means that Yoyoy was more or less within the age limit at 19 in his first appearance but already overage at 21 in his second appearance.* Worse, Bay was something like 21 during his first appearance in 1978 and 23 in his second appearance in a 19 and under tournament.

MonL
10-27-2007, 01:14 AM
* * *Actually, it was not only Yoyoy Villamin who made a return but also his fellow FEU Tamaraw Bay Cristobal.* They must have been "phenoms" at such a young age!* Well according to the PBA player register, their birthdays are as follows:

Bay Cristobal - November 24, 1956
Yoyoy Villamin - November 7, 1958
That means that Yoyoy was more or less within the age limit at 19 in his first appearance but already overage at 21 in his second appearance.* Worse, Bay was something like 21 during his first appearance in 1978 and 23 in his second appearance in a 19 and under tournament.

Yup. You got me there with Bay. One eye shut nako. ;D* Yoyoy stood out in 1980 because he looked too mature to be a junior player, hence the questions.

MonL
10-27-2007, 01:42 AM
Anthony, do you remember the 1984 edition RP Youth team? I vaguely remember one being formed and coached by Nemie Villegas, and he had some of his Letran Knight stalwarts Romy Ang and Tony Cabatana in the lineup. But 1984 was a period of economic and political crisis, and I believe that team didn't do well too.

irateluvmachine
10-27-2007, 01:54 AM
...also leo austria, i think he was part of those early-'80s RP Youth teams...and since the pba register lists him as being born in 1958, he too would've been overage...

MonL
10-27-2007, 02:14 AM
...also leo austria, i think he was part of those early-'80s RP Youth teams...and since the pba register lists him as being born in 1958, he too would've been overage...

He was on the 1982 squad.

AnthonyServinio
10-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Anthony, do you remember the 1984 edition RP Youth team? I vaguely remember one being formed and coached by Nemie Villegas, and he had some of his Letran Knight stalwarts Romy Ang and Tony Cabatana in the lineup. But 1984 was a period of economic and political crisis, and I believe that team didn't do well too.

* * *THE 1984 Junior NT had a tough act to follow since they had to defend the crown in Seoul, South Korea.* The head coach was Letran's Larry Albano.* Unfortunately, the could only muster a Bronze Medal finish. That was really a bad performance considering it was the Philippines' lowest rank to date since the tournament began (although we would sink further and further down the drain in later Junior tournaments).

Here is the line-up of that team:

1984 PHILIPPINE YOUTH NT
AMPALAYO Cresencio
ANG Romeo
CUENCO Reynaldo
CUETO Jerome
CUI Ricardo
DIGNADICE Yves
GUZMAN Juanito
LIM Avelino
MARQUEZ Manuel
MENDOZA Anthony
SOLIS Alfonso
VALENCIANO Ludovico
ALBANO Larry - Coach

irateluvmachine
10-27-2007, 07:07 AM
^not a very lucky NT, that was...based on the lineup. only al solis and naning valenciano seems to have had a trouble-free pro career among this group.

dondon ampalayo, yves dignadice and samboy lim all suffered through injuries for a good part of their pro career, romy ang, ricky cui and totoy marquez didn't do much as pros, anthony mendoza didn't do much as a pro...except run amok (not to mention butt-nekkid) in the streets of cebu, and rey cuenco, despite having a good pro career, died young following his PBA retirement. jerome cueto was pretty much a PBL lifer...

juanito guzman? never heard of him...

MonL
10-27-2007, 10:27 PM
juanito guzman? never heard of him...

Juanito Guzman was a 6'2" guard-forward who played for the Red Cubs, though not in NCAA tournaments, and was on those Red Lion teams with Joey Loyzaga, Mukesh Advani, Toya Rojales, Obet Mariano, John Lucas, Gil Cortez that contended with Letran and DLSU in the early 80s before the 3-year leave of absence.

He transferred later with Ricky Cui from San beda to the the Arellano U Flaming Arrows that made waves in the early 80s as well, and they also had ex DLSU and RP Youth enforcer Jun Tan playing with them at one time.

Jaco D
10-28-2007, 01:32 AM
^^Did San Beda's Guzman twins, Joel and Noel, get to play on any of the RP Youth teams?* I remember a nephew of theirs was entrusted with the twins' car on more than one instance when the twins were representing the country in a tournament abroad (siyempre, we had a blast using that puppy).* Di ko lang maalala if those trips were RP Youth tournaments.

MonL
10-28-2007, 10:45 AM
^^Did San Beda's Guzman twins, Joel and Noel, get to play on any of the RP Youth teams?*

To my recollection, no.

BedanRoar
10-28-2007, 12:42 PM
We had Great Junior's NT in the Past and many of the players that contributed to the NT made it big in the Pro's. But, who amongst these batches have won the Championship(they would be considered the Greatest)? Thanks

oca
10-28-2007, 03:37 PM
If one would bother to check the birth years of the players of our National Youth Teams before 1986, one would realize maraming over-age. Malinaw na hindi talaga legit ang composition ng mga naunang teams. Kaya para sa akin, hindi sila pwedeng ihanay among the "greatest".

But starting from our first legit Youth Team in 1986, we have not won the asian youth title again.

So, how do we now select the "greatest" among the list.

While on one hand we have champion teams with over-age players, on the other we have legit teams who have not brought home the gold.

Paano ngayon yan?

BedanRoar
10-29-2007, 10:10 AM
If one would bother to check the birth years of the players of our National Youth Teams before 1986, one would realize maraming over-age. Malinaw na hindi talaga legit ang composition ng mga naunang teams. Kaya para sa akin, hindi sila pwedeng ihanay among the "greatest".

But starting from our first legit Youth Team in 1986, we have not won the asian youth title again.

So, how do we now select the "greatest" among the list.

While on one hand we have champion teams with over-age players, on the other we have legit teams who have not brought home the gold.

Paano ngayon yan?

I see, so i guess that the "The Greatest Junior NT of All-Time" is based & limited to one's personal point of view.