PDA

View Full Version : Who are the PBA material among the current crop of NCCA/UAAP players?

professor
01-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Given the low turnover rate in the PBA which resulted in only a two round selection, who do you think would be drafted in the next few years with the current crop of amateur players in the NCAA and UAAP?

Let us do it on a per year basis. For 2006 draft I expect to see Arwind Santos (FEU), Isip (FEU), Yeo (DLSU), Cabatu (DLSU), Tenorio (ADMU), Santos (UP), Doruelo (UP) from UAAP having legitimate shots. Gonzales (MIT), Sanz (PCU) and Andaya (LC) from the NCAA.

For 2007 we may see the likes of Intal (ADMU), Kramer (ADMU-Talk & Text ha ha ha), Vizcarra (UST), Chan (FEU), Aban (LC), Aldave (LC), Bautista (LC), Angeles (SBC), Vicente (SSC-R)

For 2008: NCAA Espinas (PCU), Castro (PCU), Misa (UPHDS): UAAP Asoro (NU), Cruz (UP), Araņa (DLSU), Villanueva (FEU), Cabahug (ADU)

For 2009: NCAA UAAP Borboran (UE), Raymundo (UE)

For 2010: NCAA UAAP Aguilar (ADMU), Maierhoffer (DLSU)

At this point, this are the players that seems to have a strong chance of cracking the draft. Your thoughts on the topic please.

Sam Miguel
01-26-2006, 05:13 PM
I'd like to take a look at the next draft for now.

Arwind Santos, LA Tenorio, Mark Isip, Joseph Yeo, Rob Sanz, Mark Andaya, Rob Reyes, Joe De Vance, Kelly Williams should make up the first round, not necessarily in this order. Although unless MVP or Arben Santos pulls a surprise for Tenorio, I see Santos as the lock on Number 1. He's a two-time UAAP champion and MVP, with great skills and superb athleticism across the board. He's lean but not frail and he's got a great nose for the ball and an ever-expanding shooting range. He can play the 3 spot in the PBA and even pull some swing duty in a tall lineup.

I'm not absolutely sure either if the three Fil-Ams are already PBA eligible. Williams is the best of the three with his consistency and athleticism, he may actually be a better version of Danny Seigle, plus he plays better defense, something he should thank Koy Banal for.

Anything beyond 2006 will definitely include the likes of Gab Espinas, Japeth Aguilar (who may become the tallest 3 in PBA history) JC Intal, Jonas Villanueva, Pong Escobal, Michael Burtscher, Rabeh Al-Hussaini, Aaron Aban, Boyet Bautista, Ronjay Enrile, JR Reyes, Rico Maeirhofer. These guys are known quantities now, with Aguilar and Al Hussaini having the biggest upside. It will be very interesting to see if the guys in the smaller leagues like Arellano's Orlan Daroya or Lyceum's Mark Fampulme can crack a PBA lineup.

bchoter
01-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Given the low turnover rate in the PBA which resulted in only a two round selection, who do you think would be drafted in the next few years with the current crop of amateur players in the NCAA and UAAP?

Let us do it on a per year basis.* For 2006 draft I expect to see Arwind Santos (FEU), Isip (FEU), Yeo (DLSU), Cabatu (DLSU), Tenorio (ADMU), Santos (UP), Doruelo,Joseph Pac Yeo (UP) from UAAP having legitimate shots.* Gonzales (MIT), Sanz (PCU) and Andaya (LC) from the NCAA.

For 2007 we may see the likes of Intal (ADMU), Kramer (ADMU-Talk & Text ha ha ha), Vizcarra (UST), Chan (FEU), Aban (LC), Aldave (LC), Bautista (LC), Angeles (SBC), Vicente (SSC-R),

For 2008:* NCAA* Espinas (PCU), Castro (PCU), Misa (UPHDS): UAAP* Asoro (NU), Cruz (UP), Araņa (DLSU), Villanueva (FEU), Cabahug (ADU), Jojo Duncil(UST), Ken Bono(AdU), JV Casio(DLSU),Ronnie Bughao (ADMU)

For 2009:* NCAA* *UAAP Borboran (UE), Raymundo (UE), Ogie Menor (SBC), Marcelino Arellano (UE), Leo Canuday (AdU)

For 2010:* NCAA* UAAP* Aguilar (ADMU), Maierhoffer (DLSU)Dylan Ababou (UST)

At this point, this are the players that seems to have a strong chance of cracking the draft.* Your thoughts on the topic please.

Joescoundrel
03-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Prof, do you think the likes of Ron Cabagnot or Marnel Barachael can make a PBA lineup say in 2008 or 2009? It seems the PBA is making a living stockpiling on athletic guards like Dondon Hontiveros, Mark Caguioa, Brandon Cablay, Lourdy Tugade. Looks like these two boys - Cabagnot and Barachael - fit that bill.

professor
03-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Joe,

Those two you mentioned is the future of FEU basketball and they will be ahead of Japeth in terms of turning pro as both are already mature. Cabagnot can play the 2-3 and Barachael plays the 3-4 spot. Both like to run in the wings and have a decent medium range shot. As to their shot selection, only time and if they would study the game will tell what happens next. Yes, they have a chance of cracking the first round given their batch but there are sleepers out there that may reduce their chances.

The nice development we are seeing is the growth of the wing players. You have Danny Seigle, Lordy Tugade and James Yap popularizing that position. Because of them, the tall youth who do not have the built for the middle have an option to play the 2-3. I am looking at JC Intal to be the next wing player to join the ranks of the three in the next 3-4 years from now.

My two cents worth.

bluestorck
03-01-2006, 06:41 PM
LA tenorio...this guy is ripe for the pba. i hope he could join the other eagles over at yeng's group.

..pac yeo is another guy ripe for the pros....but im sure he cant really strutt his "dirty tactics" in the pba baka isabit siya ng patiwarik ni rico and asi :P

chief
03-02-2006, 09:02 AM
I think missing in the list in Yousif Aljamal. He may be a first rounder in 2009. He'll be playing his third season for San Beda this season 82.

professor
03-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Chief,

Yes your player is big with a knack for getting in your face low block defense and a soft touch in the free throw line. He may indeed be picked in the draft. But look at Pep Moore he is still out there and no movement. Eman Sumague is also waiting for a chance. Look at both when they played in the NBDL wherein Eman was slow in the break. He did gain weight but not enough to push his athletic envelope to a higher level. But that is still three years from now and a lot of things can happen to improve his stock.

Have you seen Berame of UV Lancers in the last PBIF. He is a young player with heft and height. UP and ADMU tried getting him but he stuck it out in UV. Last year he was Team B of UV. Now he is in the mythical five of the PBIF for the center slot. He is listed at 6'7".

My two cents worth.

MonL
03-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Aljamal's a younger, more athletic version of bruiser Alvin Teng. He needs to add a consistent medium range jumper though, because three years from now, he may be too small to play power forward in the pros. He also has to take care of the ball some more.

tamarawz_14
03-07-2006, 04:26 PM
how about R.J rizada??? sir nkalimutan nyo po yata... he can play 1 or 2 postion...

Sam Miguel
03-07-2006, 08:28 PM
RJ Rizada is mainly a small forward who plays in a swing capacity from time to time. He has average size for a 3, good size for a 3/2. His athleticism is underrated because he's always played with plus athletes like Denok Miranda, Arwind Santos and now Jonas Villanueva who got all the attention. Rizada's biggest asset remains his ability to light it up from deep. Rizada's defense is also underrated. He may not have the same natural ability to scramble up an offense like Joseph Yeo in a press, or Larry Fonacier's cerebral approach, but he can still shut down his man if he is challenged and focused enough. However I would not want him operating exclusively in the backcourt, he does not have the mental acumen that would allow him to succeed as a fulltime guard. His ballhandling is below average for a guard and just average for a swingman. Making him play guard fulltime is, I think, asking too much of him.

In the PBA I see Rizada as a de luxe shooter at the 3/2 spot who can hold down other bench guys on defense. He will most likely wind up as perennial trade fodder because of his perimeter shooting. But he simply does not have enough of an overall game to actually stick as a regular rotation guy for one team. I do not see any team that would hold onto him for longer than three years, although I believe he should be a productive enough player in the PBA for six or seven years, maybe longer if he upgrades his ballhandling and defense.

green_minded
03-07-2006, 11:15 PM
It's got to be Arwind Santos and LA Tenorio. 8)

bombet
03-08-2006, 02:39 AM
i agree with greenminded, only Tenorio and arwind santos are PBA material, meaning they are ready to make an impact upon playing. The others may be drafted but signed as bench-warmers only. A lot of aspiring players are not as skilled as before compared to the draft class of 1988 or 1989. They lack the fundamentals of ball-handling, consistent outside shooting and lack of size. Also poor rebounding skills. Look at their free-throw shooting, atrocious!

arhtmahn
03-08-2006, 06:22 AM
JOSEPH YEO (wearing purple suit and a wide grin): Wait 'til they get a load of me!

chief
03-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Chief,

Yes your player is big with a knack for getting in your face low block defense and a soft touch in the free throw line. He may indeed be picked in the draft. But look at Pep Moore he is still out there and no movement. Eman Sumague is also waiting for a chance. Look at both when they played in the NBDL wherein Eman was slow in the break. He did gain weight but not enough to push his athletic envelope to a higher level. But that is still three years from now and a lot of things can happen to improve his stock.

Have you seen Berame of UV Lancers in the last PBIF. He is a young player with heft and height. UP and ADMU tried getting him but he stuck it out in UV. Last year he was Team B of UV. Now he is in the mythical five of the PBIF for the center slot. He is listed at 6'7".

My two cents worth.

Thanks prof. Let's see how the cookie crumbles on this one.

Birdland
03-08-2006, 02:21 PM
PBA caliber players from the UAAP;

FEU - Santos, Isip, Chan, Rizada, Villanueva

Ateneo - Tenorio, Aguilar, Intal, Bughao

UE - Borboran, Canizares, Custodio

La Salle - Yeo, Maierhofer

NU - Asoro, Fernandez

UST - Ababou, Espiritu

UP - Santos

arhtmahn
03-08-2006, 05:20 PM

What about Magnum "the scholar" Membrere, Bajjie "babyface" del Rosario and Jun-Jun "the knife" Cabatu?

DREDD
03-09-2006, 03:36 PM
PBA caliber players from the UAAP;

FEU - Santos, Isip, Chan, Rizada, Villanueva

UE - Borboran, Canizares, Custodio

NU - Asoro, Fernandez

UST - Ababou, Espiritu

UP - Santos

how about jojo duncil of UST?

Mhel_Garrido
03-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Hmmm
In the next few years sana may mga eligible na from the STI College Olympians na pwede sa PBA. In the meantime i sha shop around ko muna sila sa PBL for more exposure. STI might not be from the UAAP or NC but we hope that one day we make it to the NCAA.

Agent 008
03-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Mhel Da Pogi...

Baka dapat lumabas ka na from retirement...matindi pa rin ang mga 30-foot bombs mo.

- Agent 008 (a.k.a. Ama)

Wang-Bu
09-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Mukhang nakalamang ng konti ang UAAP sa huling PBA draft, may Arwind Santos, LA Tenorio at Joseph Yeo sa unang bahagi ng first round, bagama't meron namang Gabby Espinas sa unang tawagan sa first round din. Sino kaya ang talagang sisikat sa kanila kagad? Tancha ko lang si Ninja...

Mel
09-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Bono, Hugnatan, Al-Hussaini, Intal, Kramer...J. Cruz,N. David, Asoro.

j34dollarz
09-12-2006, 09:12 PM
based on their heights and positions that they can play.....i'll go for:

intal, al-hussaini, escalona, borboran, ababou, asoro, j. villanueva, chan, baracael

cub
09-12-2006, 11:06 PM
UAAP - Custodio, Intal, Villanueva, Asoro, Bono, fernandez, Arellano, Chan, Jervy Cruz.
NCAA - Castro, Dela Peņa, Aljamal, Escobal, Menor, Misa.

joelex
10-04-2006, 07:32 AM
bono has nothing more to prove in the collegiate ranks. i think he must declare for the PBA draft next year already.

jervy cruz will make it big in the PBL i think. he is the latest of the LONG line of UST 4's but unfrotunately for some of them, they didnt make a name for themselves in the PBA. Heres hoping he gets the breaks.

escobal's future is looking very bright. escobal should be a household name in no time, if not yet, even outside mendiola.

:)

buko4
10-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Bono is already PBA-ready. I would'nt be surprised if he is the #1 pick overall in the draft. Expect also JC Intal to be on top of the list during draft day. I wonder if Nestor David would be picked in the first round..

5FootCarrot
10-08-2006, 07:52 AM
Napansin ko lang na misspelled ang NCAA sa thread title ;D

Wang-Bu
10-09-2006, 04:00 PM
May tanong lang ako: dahil kaya sa pagkatabla ng UE kay Bon Custodio ay wala na siyang pagasang mag-PBA? Sayang naman kung hindi na makapag-PBA si Bon gawa lang ng mga ganitong pangyayari na ni hindi man lang kayang patunayan ng harapan ng mga nagbibintang. Kung mga toyo ngang gaya nina Ronjay Enrile at Wesley Gonzales nakapag-PBA pa, dapat naman siguro bigyan ng pagkakataon si Bon.

BigBlue
10-09-2006, 04:04 PM
May tanong lang ako: dahil kaya sa pagkatabla ng UE kay Bon Custodio ay wala na siyang pagasang mag-PBA? Sayang naman kung hindi na makapag-PBA si Bon gawa lang ng mga ganitong pangyayari na ni hindi man lang kayang patunayan ng harapan ng mga nagbibintang. Kung mga toyo ngang gaya nina Ronjay Enrile at Wesley Gonzales nakapag-PBA pa, dapat naman siguro bigyan ng pagkakataon si Bon.

tama ka wang-bu, kawawa naman si bonbon sa ganitong lagay. which is why i believe UE should come clean about Custodio's suspension. para hindi puro conjecture o haka-haka ang kumakalat, nasisira lang ng tuluyan ang reputasyon ng bata.

Joescoundrel
10-09-2006, 08:32 PM
If the Cool Cat and Willie Wilson could make the PBA - after similar allegations, and in a Finals series at that - I think Bon Custodio will be just fine. Perhaps he should hook up with the agent of the Ateneans in Red Bull. I certain whoever that is would be more than willing to help him make the pro ranks.

pio_valenz
10-09-2006, 09:33 PM
^I'm pretty sure, though, that you can strike out Mike Gonzales from the list of Bonbon's potential agents. ;)

On-topic: outside of those commonly mentioned in this thread, I'd go with Edwin Asoro.

Wang-Bu
10-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Agree ako kay Sir Pio tungkol kay Edwin Asoro, para kasi siyang mas malaking version ni Dondon Hontiveros, kayang maging swingman sa PBA pero mas malaki at mas malakas. Ang maganda kasi kay Asoro kahit poste ang assignment niya meron pa din siyang pukol sa labas at marunong siyang magdala ng bola. Hindi naman siya tipong pang-fulltime na gwardiya pero meron siyang skills para maglaro sa labas. At dahil sa laki at lakas niya matibay siya sa depensahan. Pwede rin siyang ma-training para maging parang hybrid na combo-forward na mas nadadaan sa bilis at pukol ang mga malalaking damulag gaya nina Eric Menk at Ali Peek.

joelex
12-08-2006, 01:59 AM
so far, asoro hasnt hit his stride in the ongoing PBL tourney. well he hasnt gotten much playing time, but in the few times he was fielded in, he looked confused and out of sync. parang mas kabado pa siya kaysa kay jonathan fernandez?

joelex
12-08-2006, 02:01 AM
its too early to see his pro future, but i think adamson's arnold (?) basilio has the tools to be a productive UAAP big man. the (big) kid's got solid fundamentals. more experience and a great coach will be of great help to him.