PDA

View Full Version : Gameface Exclusive: Eala on Yeo’s Apology: Late But Well-Taken

gameface_one
01-05-2006, 09:51 AM
EXCLUSIVE!!!

Eala on Yeo’s Apology: Late But Well-Taken
By Gameface.ph (1/5/06)

Philippine Basketball Association Commissioner Noli Eala said yesterday that cager Joseph Yeo’s apology to Rico Villanueva last month was a delayed action on the part of the De La Salle player. Eala however was quick to follow-up that Yeo’s apology was well accepted.

“Yeo’s apology is well-taken. Though it comes rather belatedly, the apology should be deemed as an act of maturity and gentlemanliness,” Eala said.

It should be recalled that Yeo hit Villanueva on the face with a forearm in the 3rd quarter of the Ateneo-La Salle Dream Match last month. Villanueva had on his lips and nose as a result. The incident almost triggered a free for all and fans became involved by throwing debris on the court. Ateneo almost pulled out its players because of this. Yeo completed his playing years with De La Salle and may already apply for the PBA draft this year.

About two weeks after and with the help of their managers, Yeo apologized to Villanueva for the incident but this came after Yeo said in public that he did the act because he was provoked by Villanueva. Many questioned the sincerity of his gesture.

When asked if he will still proceed with the suspension or disqualification of Yeo from the draft after the gesture of apology, Eala replied, “The decision to suspend or disqualify Yeo from the draft will be made only when he applies for it.” Eala further said that it is still premature to comment on the issue at this point.

bchoter
01-05-2006, 11:43 AM
I didn't know Eala is this gullible :D

true.blue
01-05-2006, 12:45 PM

Ha ha. Well, as a highly prominent league official, I guess he has no choice but to give a diplomatic reply. I would bet his personal comment as a regular basketball fan would be more revealing. :)

CTumpi
01-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Commish Eala's just playing his cards well. Let's wait and see what he does when Yeo applies for the PBA draft. 8)

MargaretThrasher
01-05-2006, 04:20 PM

Ha ha.* Well, as a highly prominent league official, I guess he has no choice but to give a diplomatic reply.* I would bet his personal comment as a regular basketball fan would be more revealing.* :)
true.blue is right.

I think it would be very difficult for a man in Mr. Eala's position to say anything else regarding the apology and still retain his credibility. If he had heaped praise on Joseph Yeo for apologizing, then he'd really be gullible. On the other hand, if he had criticized Yeo and his apology, then that would be a PR nightmare. I think Mr. Eala's statement was the golden mean between these two extremes - it gives Yeo the benefit of the doubt (that "maturity and gentlemanliness" stuff) but also gives a mild rebuke (the "belated" part).

chief
01-06-2006, 09:44 AM
This is actually what I like about Commissioner Eala, his demeanor is really exceptional. He chooses his words carefully. Maybe the lawyer in him is showing well.

true.blue
01-06-2006, 02:24 PM
The PBA goes through great lengths to make sure that their players are wholesome models for the youth. It even gives new players seminars on proper grooming and behavior with fellow players and fans. While Yeo's apology is a step in the right direction, it is difficult to imagine how that single action can easily make up for 3 years of improper behavior by the player both on and off the court. I hope PBA officials do not also forget that he flashed dirty finger signs to former PBA commisioners on the Ateneo side on his way out of the court. And that his apology came a long 2 weeks after the incident (whereas it should have come immediately after his emotions have settled down -- is 2 days enough?) and, mind you, only after he was threatened with a delayed PBA stint and condemned by countless personalities in media.

CTumpi
01-06-2006, 04:25 PM
The PBA goes through great lengths to make sure that their players are wholesome models for the youth.* It even gives new players seminars on proper grooming and behavior with fellow players and fans.
Is this true? Maybe Junjun Cabatu could benefit from this seminar regarding one's grooming. ;D

Kidding aside, the real test will be once Yeo applies for the draft. If Eala won't lift a finger on this, then he's just all bark - no bite. 8)

Wang-Bu
01-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Kung ako hahayaan kong pumasok ng PBA si Yeo. Sigurado ako maraming matutuwang makita siyang maglaro sa PBA. Lalo na 'yung mga taga-Red Bull.

Jimwell Torion nakatayo habang hawak ni Yeo ang isang patid na ACL "Magaling ka pala talaga ano? Biruin mo makunan mo ako ng bola. Sa susunod matuto kang gumalang sa nauna sa iyo ha. Pero OK lang 'yan, welcome to the PBA bata..."

Wang-Bu
09-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Suspendido ba kagad si Yeo? Ano naman 'yung narinig kong "community service" daw ang "parusa" niya?

bluewing
09-13-2006, 01:28 PM
mamumulot ng mga tulad nyang basura...

cub
09-13-2006, 08:29 PM

san ba galing school yang si Eala at NAPAKATANGA naman niya..
ganun ba ka-tanga ang mga nagturo sa knya at ganun lang sya kadali lokohin?

brian
09-14-2006, 12:38 AM

sa la salle at ateneo ???

bluewing
09-14-2006, 12:47 AM

kung ganun, alam na natin kung saan nya nakuha ang katangahan nya. nag-lasal pala eh.

bluebruiser90
09-14-2006, 06:40 AM

Grade School and High School - La Salle.* 11 years din yan.* College and Law School - Ateneo. * *

shyboy
09-14-2006, 07:58 AM
Grade School and High School - La Salle.* 11 years din yan.* College and Law School - Ateneo. * *

Nasisira ang Pilipinas dahil dun sa mga galing sa Law School ng isang iskwelahan dyan.

bluebruiser90
09-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Any data on this?

Would love to see it.

bluewing
09-14-2006, 09:18 AM
sa formative years nadali yan. palpak ang upbringing.

Eagle_Eyes
09-14-2006, 09:53 AM
read in the papers today that Enrico Villanueva "gave a sharpe nudge" to Joseph Yeo after their pre-season game which Red Bull won.

when interviewed, the raging bull simply said that "buti nga, yun lang yung ginawa ko sa kanya" (or something that sounds like that).

;D

bluewing
09-14-2006, 10:00 AM
haha! number 1 talaga si rico pagdating sa "no-look shot"

as for yeo, sa tingin ko, malamang-lamang ay ma-ban ito sa PBA sa future. mukhang mainit talaga ang ulo. while guys like rico can get away with such nudges, guys like yeo who react violently to such antics may not get away with it... hindi kasi marunong sumimple eh... asarin lang nang asarin, puputok na yan at mananapak---- BAN!

cub
09-14-2006, 08:39 PM
mainitin di naman ulo ni rico dati eh. pag dating sa pros, nag bago na..
ganyan din yang si yeo, pagdating sa pros, kaya na nya ma-control ung feelings nya..

Sam Miguel
09-14-2006, 08:47 PM
ganyan din yang si yeo, pagdating sa pros, kaya na nya ma-control ung feelings nya..

Facing suspensions without pay and lifetime bans can change even the hardest of hearts.

LION
09-15-2006, 07:32 AM
^^^^ How true. Just look at Rudy Distrito. Hit them where it hurts. The pocket.

cub
09-15-2006, 09:37 PM

Facing suspensions without pay and lifetime bans can change even the hardest of hearts.

oo, tama nga na ganyan ang naging resulta ng ginawa ni yeo. pero di ba dapat pati si enrico eh magkaron din ng suspension or fine man lang? sya nag initiate eh.. gumanti lang naman si yeo..

Agent 008
09-18-2006, 03:11 PM
parang ang tingin ko yeo ay naka-steroids...baka kaya mainitin ang ulo. isa yan sa mga natitinding epekto niyan. roid rage daw ang tawag.

bluewing
09-18-2006, 04:33 PM
nagmaka-awa lang kasi yung manager ni yeo na wag masyadong pahirapan ng red bull players. kaya nung tapos na yung game.. hayun!

speaking of...

anong klase ba yon? makiki-usap ang manager mo sa kabilang team na hayaan kang maglaro?

kabaklaan yan. buti pinagbigyan ng red bull. praning tong agent/manager na pre-season pa lang ma-suspend o ma-ban na yung alaga nya...

pero sa season, wala nang pabor-pabor. kahi lumuhod pa yung agent na yan...

at hindi na pagbibigyan yang yeo na yan.

shyboy
09-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Suntukan na agad para parehong suspended! Tutal pareho naman silang barumbado eh.

bluebruiser90
09-18-2006, 08:10 PM
^ Puwede, pero sa labas na lang. Sayang ang suspension ni Enrico, mas malaki suweldo niya. Tapos double header, yung NABRO refs at si Coach Norman yung isang laban. Singil tayo ng tickets para fund raising.

bluewing
09-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Suntukan na agad para parehong suspended!* Tutal pareho naman silang barumbado eh.

pero si yeo walang diploma.

shyboy
09-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Suntukan na agad para parehong suspended!* Tutal pareho naman silang barumbado eh.

Ang galing nga eh, nakakakuha yung iba ng diploma kahit parang walang pinag-aralan. On time na nag-graduate, nakakapag-Master's degree pa.

atenean_blooded
09-19-2006, 12:56 AM
bluewing:

E pucha, pati nga yung bagsak sa high school at sa PEP test, pinapasa e.

joelex
09-19-2006, 01:06 AM
wala nga akong diploma nung HS ako pasado pako jan sa la salle eh.

shyboy
09-19-2006, 08:19 AM

So para ka pala yung isang nabalitaan na bagsak sa Mapua high school tapos biglang naka-enroll at nagkaroon ng passing grades sa isang International School at tinanggap sa Katipunan.

gameface_one
09-19-2006, 08:26 AM
Ok children, cut it now. Fun time is over.

brian
09-19-2006, 11:42 PM

kung ganun, alam na natin kung saan nya nakuha ang katangahan nya. nag-lasal pala eh.

malamang last touch yan he he..cut it out na raw!! ;D

arhtmahn
09-20-2006, 05:53 AM

Ang galing nga eh, nakakakuha yung iba ng diploma kahit parang walang pinag-aralan.* On time na nag-graduate, nakakapag-Master's degree pa.

I didn't know that Cardona has a Master's degree. Galeng talaga!

arhtmahn
09-20-2006, 05:59 AM

So para ka pala yung isang nabalitaan na bagsak sa Mapua high school tapos biglang naka-enroll at nagkaroon ng passing grades sa isang International School at tinanggap sa Katipunan.

Japeth should have really gone for the more prestigious PEP Test Certificate. The mere mention of it would have assured him of a spot in one of the elite basketball schools in the US like Duke, instead of the lowly WKU. Sayang.

atenean_blooded
09-20-2006, 10:39 AM

Laos na tsismis yan, sister.

Ang tunay na balita e yung may bagsak sa high school na bagsak din sa PEP test, kaya kinailangan gumawa ng anomalya para lang mapalaro siya ng isang "unibersidad."

5FootCarrot
09-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Mods, I'd like to request that this thread be locked.

Besides the fact that the issue has long been considered resolved - Yeo has apologized and been drafted into the PBA, and he is now subject to the rules and regulations of that organization same as every other PBA player including Enrico Villanueva - the discussions here have not just degenerated into yet another slanging match, they have also digressed far from the original topic.

Of course, I will defer to you if you choose to keep this thread open. It's just my personal belief that this horse is so dead that it's stinking up the place and must be laid to rest.