PDA

View Full Version : Father Martin's Cup Open Division

chba_dude
11-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Starts this Sunday, November 20 ata. Don't know if it officially starts on Sunday though. Baka Saturday. But San Beda will be playing FEU on Sunday at 10:30am. FEU GYM.

Open Division, so pwede na team A players.

I'll try to update game schedules if I can grab a hold of the schedules.

bchoter
11-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Uy coach Coy vs. his former deputu coach Flores. That's interesting. I'll make sure not to miss this.

cackler
11-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the heads up chba_dude.

I will also try to watch this Sunday.* I hear the first game would be at 9:00 a.m.* I don't know who will play though.

I will also try to get some data for our scouting consumption.

Hey, gameface.one, maybe you guys can cover it so everybody will have a glimpse on what is going on.

chief
11-18-2005, 01:33 PM
I think the first game for FEU and Beda are acid tests. Both employ the same offensive and defensive tactics. While FEU will turn out to be the most experienced ones because of their championship exposure, this will test the mettle of San Beda's talented players. Who'll emerge as winners won't matter, what matter's how they play the whole game. I'll bet it's going to be exciting, let's just hope FEU doesn't jump the gun and build a 20 point halftime lead. That'll be a bummer.

chba_dude
11-18-2005, 06:07 PM
The Red Cubs will be playing the DLSZ team at 8 am sa Beda Gym. I'm guessing the juniors division will be playing their games there this Sunday.

San Beda will be playing the UAAP juniors and seniors champions.. Hehe..

I don't see an FEU blowout happening. From what I understand, projected lineups for next year na. Besides, I don't think PBL players will be playing in this tournament. Hindi ata maglalaro si Aljamal and Angeles for the Red Lions in this tournament.

Is Ateneo joining this tournament?

gameface_one
11-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the heads up chba_dude.

I will also try to watch this Sunday.* I hear the first game would be at 9:00 a.m.* I don't know who will play though.

I will also try to get some data for our scouting consumption.

Hey, gameface.one, maybe you guys can cover it so everybody will have a glimpse on what is going on.

Cackler, we will ask some people to cover it.

BLUE HORSE
11-19-2005, 08:08 AM
To the regulars of this forum,

Kindly publish the roster of each team in the tournament. Secondly, I wonder if SBC and Ateneo will field 2 teams like they have done in prior years. Cackler can correct me, Ateneo fielded 2 teams last year. Ateneo team A composition was 75% of this years varsity team. Only Rabeh, Nazareno and Zion came from the hardcore team B of Ateneo. Willl the schools parade their new recruits? UE, LaSalle and Ateneo paraded their new players during the regular FMC. I do not expect to see FEU parading their veteran players until the final 4 of the tournament. I hope the FMC will have their own web page publishing the game results and box scores like the FMC II cup, kahit late ang update.

In the high school division, Zobel will try to win the championship with their regular players but LSGH will parade their new imports from Indonesia and Negros. I wonder if the red cubs will treat their former teammate Ferdinand with kid gloves? ???

razor
11-20-2005, 03:18 PM
San Beda won over FEU, 53-50.

FEU led most of the first half but capitalizing on SBC's TOs. SBC made its move to catch up in the third quarter through good defense anchored by Sam Ekwe.

SBC had an 8 point lead in the last 2 minutes but FEU came charging back to cut the lead to a single point. Steady FT shooting by Pong Escobal sealed the win for SBC.

cackler
11-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the update razor.

San Beda won with a final score of 53 to 50. It was a defensive game all throughout but Beda turned on the inside defensive choker in the last minutes of the game. Gamalinda top socred with 13, followed by Escobal with 11.

In the first game, Jemal Vizcarra announced he is back with his game saving tripples for a UST win over the gutsy STI squad with a final score of 64 to 72.

More updates to follow.

chba_dude
11-21-2005, 12:17 AM
One of the highlights of my day was watching idol Jemal play. Never met a shot he didn't like. Hehe. He hit back-to-back threes to douse water on the furious rally of the STI team in the clutch.

In the other game, Ekwe's two resounding blocks on the first Gameface Player of the Week Ryan Cabagnot fueled a 2nd half charge of the Red Lions to outlast the Tamaraws. As earlier shared by razor, another former Gameface Player of the Week Pong Escobal hit the crucial freethrows to stave off a last hurrah from the Tams. Adidas Asian Streetball 2005 MVP Bambam Gamalinda led the way for the Red Lions.

In an earlier match at the Beda Gym, the Red Cubs routed the 2005 UAAP Juniors champs DLSZ Junior Archers (featuring THE Simon Atkins) by 20 points. Wasn't able to grab hold of the stats though. On a side note though, the Red Cubs wore retro 1978 jerseys in that game.

bchoter
11-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys for the updates. Was stuck between the washing machine and the floor polisher all weekend.

BTW, aside from Cabagnot who among the Tamaraws looks to be in? Pong Escobal looks to be a good match for Boyey Bautista.

On the part of UST, I just hope Jemal's threes won't make him think he has the license to shoot whetever he wants to. Pamatay motion :(

cackler
11-21-2005, 10:00 AM
bchoter:

Aside from Cabagnot, Baracael and Nietes, both leapers, look headed for Team A of the Tamaraws.

Do you have any info on your new 6'6" guy wearing jersey number 7?

I have the stat sheet but I could not make heads of it. Magulo pa. Like San Beda has players listed as Minor, Iskobal, Ikwe, Terona, Ganilato, Saranggay, itsetera.

I had a talk with the organizer and I think gamfaceone will do something about it.

chba_dude
11-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Jemal will always have the license to shoot. License issued by his conscience, or lack of it. Haha. Galing talaga na shooter/scorer. If only they can get him to play within the system...

Baka ginawang anti-scouting yun stat sheet.

Man, the officiating was lousy that game. Too physical. Parang larong kanto.

bchoter
11-21-2005, 11:01 AM
cackler:

I'm due for a dalaw at the gym within the week. I'll try to stake out #7. I hope the ugong on the possible coaching change dies down.

BTW, how did the GI's of Beda fare? Is Michael already halfway conditioning-wise? I hope Eric packs more mass so he won't be easily taken out of postion. Is Menor in the line-up?

How about you Eagles? Who are slated to play in the regular FMC? I really hope Yuri will be given a second chance. I think the upside of a Yuri in the line-up far outweighs the sentimental value of an Eman in the locker room. Yuri should be your insurance in case Jai falls short of what is expected from a PG. Puwede na kaya si Escalona as a lead PG the entire season sans LA on his side?

chba_dude
11-21-2005, 04:20 PM
bchoter,

GI's? Anyway, Which Michael are we talking about? Galinato or the Fil-Swiss kid?

Kahit ano daw kainin at gawin ni Eric, hindi talaga tumataba. Sana ganun din ako. Hehe.

And yes, Menor is in the lineup.

bchoter
11-21-2005, 04:50 PM
chba_dude:

GI stands for Genuine Ilocanos which includes Menor, Suguitan and Galinato :D

MargaretThrasher
11-21-2005, 05:56 PM
I have the stat sheet but I could not make heads of it.* Magulo pa.* Like San Beda has players listed as Minor, Iskobal, Ikwe, Terona, Ganilato, Saranggay, itsetera.*
I get the feeling the person who made that list is the same person who filled out the order form for the "Nestor Menitor David" banner I saw in the UP gallery last UAAP season.

Anyway, is it true that Ateneo's Team B will be representing the school in this tournament?
When and where is their first game?
How will the organizers spell "Nkemakolam"?

BLUE HORSE
11-21-2005, 09:22 PM
I have the stat sheet but I could not make heads of it.* Magulo pa.* Like San Beda has players listed as Minor, Iskobal, Ikwe, Terona, Ganilato, Saranggay, itsetera.*

I had a talk with the organizer and I think gamfaceone will do something about it.

Pareng Cackler,

Did I read your post correctly? Is this the same Sarangay who played together with Mangahas and Rabeh for PCU before heading to Taft? If he is, wow! Ang daming malalaki for SBC. Pumasa kaya siya sa entrance ng Taft or a collateral damage of the current problems of LaSalle? He did play a game or two for Taft's team B in the just concluded FMC II cup according to the web page.

Out_Of_The_Blue
11-21-2005, 11:51 PM
How about you Eagles? Who are slated to play in the regular FMC? I really hope Yuri will be given a second chance. I think the upside of a Yuri in the line-up far outweighs the sentimental value of an Eman in the locker room. Yuri should be your insurance in case Jai falls short of what is expected from a PG. Puwede na kaya si Escalona as a lead PG the entire season sans LA on his side?

The line-up has not been finalized yet but it's going to be composed mainly of Team Glory Be. I think Macky will be the starting PG now that LA is out of the team.

Out_Of_The_Blue
11-21-2005, 11:54 PM

Pareng Cackler,

Did I read your post correctly?* Is this the same Sarangay who played together with Mangahas and Rabeh for PCU before heading to Taft?* If he is, wow!* Ang daming malalaki for SBC.* Pumasa kaya siya sa entrance ng Taft or a collateral damage of the current problems of LaSalle?* He did play a game or two for Taft's team B in the just concluded FMC II cup according to the web page.

I think he's the same Sarangay Blue Horse. Hindi sila mapaghiwalay ni Galinato.

BLUE HORSE
11-22-2005, 02:02 AM

Pareng Cackler,

Did I read your post correctly?* Is this the same Sarangay who played together with Mangahas and Rabeh for PCU before heading to Taft?* If he is, wow!* Ang daming malalaki for SBC.* Pumasa kaya siya sa entrance ng Taft or a collateral damage of the current problems of LaSalle?* Anthony Servinio himself said it in GA.net that he was surprise to see Sarangay actually play for LaSalle when he knew the player did not pass the entrance exam. He did play a game or two for Taft's team B in the just concluded FMC II cup according to the web page.

I think he's the same Sarangay Blue Horse. Hindi sila mapaghiwalay ni Galinato.

Bwahahaha!* Pasalamat ang LaSalle, nobody is check on the credentials of their other big men recruits.* Parepareho ang sakit, alergic sa pagaaral.* Nabuking si Mark Benitez, Galinato lasted 1 year, Foronda and Sarangay lasted 1 whole quarter when their very existence in LaSalle never mind the varsity team was questionable.* Pumasa ba talaga sila sa entrance, ang alam ko hindi!* Mabuti na lang matino si Walsham.

People were praising LaSalle for remedying their height problem.* Their team B had Marko, Walsham, Ilad and Sarangay during the FMC II cup.* But GreenArrows cautioned LaSalle fans not to expect all the big men to make varsity next season.* Now we know* who was dropped from the roster.* Hindi rin sinama si Sarangay sa Hawaii.

chba_dude
11-22-2005, 05:03 AM
Hmmm.. I guess Beda is right in checking the validity of the papers of Galinato and Sarangay..

If Menor is a GI, I would suppose Taganas is too. He comes from the same barangay as Menor in Isabela (?). Hehe.

Out_Of_The_Blue
11-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Beda Edges FEU; UST Outclasses STI in FMC 3 Opener

Action in the third conference of the Fr Martin Cup took off in low key but very intense games at the FEU Gym in Manila. San Beda Manila edged Far Eastern University B in the main game of the twinbill 53-50. Fr Martin Division 2 Most Valuable Player John Paul Escobal sank two pressure freethrows in the last 6.9 seconds off a deliberate foul by FEU to seal the win for the recently crowned Division 2 Champions.

Nigerian giant Sam Ekwe made his presence felt to the roaring adulation of the predominantly pro-San Beda gallery with two monster blocks on UAAP aspirant Ron Cabagnot. The normally prolific Cabagnot was held to only two points thanks to the tough defense of Ogie Menor. It was a tough defensive game all around as Koy Banal, formerly FEU Head Coach, instructed San Beda to go on a gamelong press zone to contain the usually high octane running game of his former wards. So stifling was the Beda defense that FEU was caught with several shot clock violations and their motion offense came apart at several stages.

Forward Raymond Nietes and swingman Marnel Barachael carried the fight for the Tamaraws though, hitting from long range ang slashing to give FEU a 35-26 lead late in the third quarter. But they could not sustain the effort in the face of the dynamic ball movement of Gamalinda and NCAA aspirant Gino Tirona. San Beda overhauled the deficit and had a 51-54 lead going into the last 1:20. Nietes and Barachael however refused to give up as they hit timely jumpers to trim the deficit to 51-50 time down to 23 seconds.

Escobal however would not allow the Lions to lose and zigzagged away from the grabbing defense of FEU, setting up his endgame trip at the foul line as FEU desperately tried to get the ball back. Luis Gamalinda led the Red Lions with 16 points to go with eight boards, as he got out on the new early offense of Banal.

Debuting in the San Beda lineup was Mark Sarangay, formerly with the Lasalle Green Archers, joining another former Archer now donning the red and white, Mike Galinato.

In the first game, Jemal Vizcara served notice that he was ready to once again return to UAAP action nailing back-to-back triples from the left corner in the last 1:40 as UST outlasted STI 72-64. Vizcara was having a bad shooting day prior to finding the range when it mattered most.

STI threatened at 66-64 on the combined efforts of guards Toto Belano and Rico Botin, after trailing by as much as 19, 58-49 late in the third quarter. Their efforts weren't enough however as Vizcara showed the touch that made him one fo the best gunners in the UAAP. Jojo Duncil led the Tigers with 12 points mostly on aggressive transition drives.

A five-game show is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, 26 November 2005 also at the FEU Gym. Gameface.ph shall post official schedules as soon as they are available.

gameface_one
11-24-2005, 07:06 PM
We would like to announce to everybody that the Fr. Martin Cup Basketball Invitational Tournament has partnered with Gameface.ph to be its Internet Media Arm. As its Internet Media Arm, FMC game schedules, game coverages and reports, results, and team standings shall be regularly posted on the gameface.ph website.

MargaretThrasher
11-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Excellent :) Congratulations to GameFace! It's good to know that there's a site that will have all the info.

chief
11-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Panalo ito. At least we get to see what's happening.

chba_dude
11-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Final Score: SBC 81- UA-Pampanga 70

San Beda
Ekwe 17, Gamalinda 15, Menor 14, Escobal 6, Tecson 6, Taupa 6, Maggay 4, Taganas 4, Sarangay 4, Suguitan 2, Castillo 2, Butscher 1, Antonio 0, Canlas 0, Tirona 0, Padilla 0

University of Assumption Pampanga
Vergara 23, David 15, Baluyut 12, Manlutac 7, Ronquillo 6, Valerio 5, Uncad 2

Highlights of the game were a dunk by Ekwe and a monstrous two-handed and one slam by Taupa.

I can't do justice sa dunk ni Taupa with words. Hintay na lang kayo ng mas magaling mag-describe. Hehe.

gameface_one
11-26-2005, 08:40 PM
November 26 results:

UST 66 vs. FEATI 64

San Beda College 81 vs. Univ of Assumption 70

FEU 69 vs. MLQU 65

Ateneo 65 vs. STI 51

Wait for the more detailed report on the games in our FMC section.

fraternizer
11-27-2005, 08:39 AM
Final Score: SBC 81- UA-Pampanga 70

Highlights of the game were a dunk by Ekwe and a monstrous two-handed and one slam by Taupa.

dude,

i caught the game yesterday. Ekwe was impressive. rim-rattling dunks aren't that rare anymore, but yesterday was the first time i saw a monstrous BOARD-SHAKING BLOCK. a Pelican (UA-Pampanga player) drove into the lane, threw up a lay-up, Ekwe elevated and SMASHED (as opposed to trapped) the ball against the board. ten seconds later the backboard stopped shaking.

i also agree that one of the game highlights was the fantastic slam by Taupa. he was caught in the paint with his back to the board, he suddenly rises, turns in the air and slams it in emphatically with one hand. the three opponents sorrounding him were all surprised by the quickness of the move. three seconds later they all closed their agaped mouths.

see you at the games.

chba_dude
11-27-2005, 07:41 PM
I've seen Ekwe play almost everytime he plays that's why those board-shaking blocks (of different varieties) are par for the course..* :D*

I still recall a two-handed slam from Taupa. I'm not exactly sure how it happened because I was talking to someone, looking just in time to see him elevate for the slam. Incidentally, I closed my agaped mouth about 5 seconds later and proceeded to yelling my heart out.

It's probable that I was imagining him dunking with two instead of one hand though.. Will verify..

franz888
11-27-2005, 10:14 PM
I am pretty sure its a two handed slam! Taupa was cuting in the shaded lane when he recieved the pass and all of a sudden just jumped over his defender and dunked the ball with two hands plus foul to booth. He even hanged on to the rim for about a secon or two and lifted his head all the way to the rim. So shattering was his dunk that the pelicans was forced to call a time-out to re-group. During the time-out one of the refs approached Taupa ang gave him a wrning not to hang on to the rim too long! So pumped was Taupa he tried for a follow up slam but the ball slipped right off his hand.

gameface_one
12-01-2005, 01:11 AM
Article on the games last Saturday is now posted at the homepage.

gameface_one
12-04-2005, 11:07 AM
December 3 Results:

Ateneo def. UST; 64 - 60

Letran A def. Univ. of Assumption; 81 - 70

FEU def. Letran B; 50 - 49

San Beda def. MLQU; 67 - 62

STI def. FEATI; 57 - 53

Updated Team Standings:

W L
San Beda 3 0

Ateneo 2 0

Letran A 1 0

UST 2 1

FEU 2 1

STI 1 2

Letran B 0 1

FEATI 0 2

MLQU 0 2

University of Assumption 0 2

bchoter
12-07-2005, 01:36 PM
What about some recapof the last weekend?

Wang-Bu
12-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Niyari ni Billy Afable ang Letran B with a buzzer-beating put-back. Naglaro sina Boyet Bautista at Aaron Aban sa Letran B, meron silang mga talong player 6-4 and up pero good match-up with FEU B naman kasi may mga talo ding 6-5 ang Tams. Habol ang FEU from 17 points down, trinabaho ni Marnel Barachael, wala si Ron Cabagnot at may pilay.

cackler
12-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Please Note the New Schedule for Upcoming FMC Games

SUNDAY, 11 December 2005 venue: FEU Gym

9:00 a.m. MLQU vs UST
10:30 a.m. U of A (Pampanga) vs. FEU
12:00 noon San Beda vs. STI College
1:30 p.m. Ateneo vs. FEATI

SATURDAY, 17 December 2005 venue: FEU Gym

9:00 a.m. Letran A vs UST
10:30 a.m. Letran B vs. MLQU
12:00 noon U of A (Pampanga) vs STI College
1:30 p.m. FEU vs. Ateneo
3:00 p.m. FEATI vs. San Beda

gameface_one
12-09-2005, 01:52 PM
What about some recapof the last weekend?

The recap is already posted at the homepage.

bchoter
12-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Is a coaching change in store for UST? I noticed coach Nel's absence during their games. And so was the motion in their offense. Welcome back stagnant... err... isolation plays.

BTW, it was a scrambling victory for UST over the supposedly overmatched MLQU squad.

chief
12-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Don't worry bchoter, we had the same thought too coming into the game, only to surprise us with a close game... although San Beda won, it was just a 7 point lead. The truth is, the final score didn't do justice to what has really traspired during the game.

bchoter
12-12-2005, 02:01 PM
What actually worries me is the way UST allowed MLQU to claw their way back form a 14-15 point lead by playing individually. The FMC wins and losses may not count as much as a UAAP/NCAA W-L but these tournaments build character and will form habits, good or bad. Japs Cuan was his usual thousand-dribble self, Jemal was his usual porma-dribble-x over-pump fake-drive-xover-spin-looping layup-miss self, Jojo duncil is developing a porma-dribble-x over-pump fake-drive-xover-spin-looping layup-miss self himself. Imagine the young ones like Dylan, Daryl, Mel and Jervy cruz soaking in on these. I'd be worried if I were the Fr. de Sagun. Good for you for you have the luxury of a coach Koy Banal.

On a side note, I hope Espiritu, who had to be assisted out of the playing court, is okay.

On your side, are the coaching staff aware of Ogie Menor's sleeping problems? I hope you can remedy this so he can play at full strength the entire game.

razor
12-13-2005, 07:29 AM
On your side, are the coaching staff aware of Ogie Menor's sleeping problems? I hope you can remedy this so he can play at full strength the entire game.

Koy knows about this. Apparently, the kid just gets too excited on nights before games that he finds difficulty sleeping.

chief
12-13-2005, 09:01 AM
What actually worries me is the way UST allowed MLQU to claw their way back form a 14-15 point lead by playing individually. The FMC wins and losses may not count as much as a UAAP/NCAA W-L but these tournaments build character and will form habits, good or bad. Japs Cuan was his usual thousand-dribble self, Jemal was his usual porma-dribble-x over-pump fake-drive-xover-spin-looping layup-miss self, Jojo duncil is developing a porma-dribble-x over-pump fake-drive-xover-spin-looping layup-miss self himself. Imagine the young ones like Dylan, Daryl, Mel and Jervy cruz soaking in on these. I'd be worried if I were the Fr. de Sagun. Good for you for you have the luxury of a coach Koy Banal.

On a side note, I hope Espiritu, who had to be assisted out of the playing court, is okay.

I understand the pain you're going through. I guess, Dong et al just got lucky with St. Benilde in 2000, they just had too many good players in that team... For UST's benefit, I believe Jun Cortez should step up big time... bigger than Marvin Cruz of UP. Because he has the talent and the skill to dominate, I just don't think he's given much authority to create for the team.... But for all it's worth, UST hasn't been in their peak for the last 5 years or so...

I hope you guys can make headway by next season.

gameface_one
12-15-2005, 07:38 AM
As we continue to upgrade the site, we cannot post all the latest changes and announcement on the homepage on time. We will temporarily use the forums for announcement and notifications.

Revised FMC Schedule of Games (As of December 13, 2005):

Saturday, 17 December 2005 (venue: FEU Gym)

9:00 a.m. STI College vs MLQU
10:30 a.m. FEU vs UST
12:00 p.m. San Beda vs FEATI
1:30 p.m. U of A (Pamp) vs Ateneo

Result of Games: Sunday, 11 December 2005 (venue: FEU Gym)

MLQU 70 vs UST 80
U of A (Pamp) 71 vs FEU 73
San Beda 60 vs STI College 47
Ateneo 79 vs FEATI 86

gameface_one
12-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Day 4: UST downs MLQU; DEU Stops UA-P; SBC dumps STI; FEATI Upsets Ateneo
by gameface.ph

Game Day Four of The Father Martin Cup Open Invitational was played last Sunday, Dec. 11, instead of the usual Saturday, at the Far Eastern University (FEU) Gym in downtown Manila. University of Santo Tomas (UST) easily disposed of Manuel L. Quezon University (MLQU) 80-70, FEU was stretched by the University of Assumption-Pampanga (UA-P) 73-71, San Beda College (SBC) cruised past Systems Technology Institute (STI) 60-47 and Far East Asian Technological Institute (FEATI) wielded the upset axe against Ateneo De Manila University (ADMU), winning 86-79 in overtime.

The Growling Tigers got off to a hot start despite the cool damp December morning taking the opening quarter 25-14. Under intense defensive pressure, the Stallions buckled and gave up easy turnover points. Early in the second quarter MLQU was able to trim down USTís lead to only two behind an 8-point scoring spurt by Erick Dizon who finished with a team-high 18 points. Comebacking Tiger Jemal Vizcarra answered with an 8-point cluster of his own mid-quarter and, more importantly, caused the ejection of his constant defender Jack Manalaysay with 2:55 to go in the half. Manalaysay had already been called for an unsportsman-like foul in the first quarter in scuffle with Allan Evangelista and his second on Vizcarra sent him to the showers early. Everything went downhill from there for MLQU as UST climbed to a twelve point lead going into the break with Jojo Duncil scoring their last ten points on route to a league-high 29 points. MLQU gave desperate chase but never got closer than seven points, 76-69 with 1:20 left in the game.

FEU got off to its usual sluggish start as UA-P started the game with an 8-0 burst. The Tamaraws, however, quickly recovered but fell prey to the revitalized Pelicans who unveiled a half court inside game to complement their run-and-gun style of play. Welihado Duyag, the undersized center of UA-P, made his tournament debut by scoring in the paint against much taller defenders, among them, John Vinluan who kept FEU in the hunt with his 13 first half points. Dayug scored 10 points in the second quarter as UA-P took the turn 40-37 on his way to a game-high 22 points. The second half saw the FEU frontcourt take over as Marnel Baracael and JR Gerilla dominated the shaded area finishing with 17 and 20 points, respectively. As both squads tightened up their defenses the Tamaraws took back the lead with their dominance off both boards and appeared headed for an eventual win, leading 58-70 with less than 5 minutes to go. The Pelicans then went on an 13-2 binge, 71-72 with 15.1 seconds to go. After a split free-throw by Baracael, UA-P had the chance to win the game but their final 3-point heave clanked off the iron.

STI was initially able to neutralize SBCís superior firepower by clamping down on defense, forcing the Red Lions to commit 9 turnovers during the first quarter alone. The Titans gang-rebounded their way to numerous second chance shots, tying the game 29-all going into the halftime break. SBC eventually settled down and went on its trademark third quarter rampage scoring 21 points with its inside-outside game anchored by FMC2 MVP John Paul Escobal who finished with a game-high 17 points. SBC Coach Koy Banalís squad then turned up the defensive heat and wisely controlled the tempo of the game. The Titans never recovered from a 50-39 deficit, scoring only 8 points in the fourth quarter. The Red Lions missed the services of consistent contributors Rocgo Gamalinda, Jay-R Taganas and Eduardo Tecson who earned a trip to the USA as members of the Streetball 3-on-3 national champion team.

ADMU relied heavily on itís big men to keep National Capital Region Athletic Association (NCRAA) contender FEATI at bay and take the half, 38-34. Blue Eagles Rabeh Al-Hussaini, Jobe Nkemakolam and Mark Intal did most of the damage in the paint as the Seahawks made numerous unforced errors. After the break it was the FEATI frontlineís turn to step up as Marvin Agacer, Paul Ryan Marasigan and Eric Miraflores gained the advantage in the shaded area. The highlight of the game was, however, the battle of the guards, featuring FEATIís Mark Lindsay Legarde versus ADMUís Ronnie Bughao. Legarde dropped 10 points in the third quarter as the Seahawks inched closer 51-50. Bughao to went on his own 10-point spurt in the fourth quarter for a 68-66 lead with 12.9 seconds to go. Legarde calmly answered with his only 2 points in the quarter, tying the score at 68, 5.6 seconds remaining. ADMU had two chances to win the game but an offensive rebound off a jumpshot rattled out. In overtime, FEATI Coach Louie Gonzalesís wards jumped to an early lead and executed their plays perfectly while ADMU Coach Gabby Severinoís charges simply didnít have the energy and couldnít keep up as the Seahawks won going away.

P.S.

Sorry for the delay in posting on the homepage. There are some technical challenges brought about by the recent site upgrade.

razor
12-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Ateneo* * * * 79* * * vs FEATI * *86

FEATI is so proud of this win - they paid for advertisments in the Phil Star and Inquirer to announce this win over the Blue Eagles ;). Nasa page 3 of daw of the main section of the Star last Friday, Dec. 16.

Thankfully, San Beda won over FEATI yesterday. During the 1st half FEATI was leading by double digit margins so kinabahan na kami at baka they will also take out ads to announce their win against us. Good thing the Red Lions picked up their game in the 2nd half to notch another W.

gameface_one
12-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Dec. 17 Game Results:

STI 62 vs. MLQU 54

UST 90 vs. FEU 73

SBC 60 vs. FEATI 57

ADMU 80 vs. UA-P 73

Next games will be scheduled in January, 2006

DREDD
12-21-2005, 04:07 PM
BRO. BOX SCORE NAMAN NUNG FEU UST PLS....
SALAMAT....

bchoter
12-21-2005, 04:47 PM
And recap please :)

MargaretThrasher
12-21-2005, 04:48 PM
BRO. BOX SCORE NAMAN NUNG FEU UST PLS....
Paging Anthony Servinio... ;D

chba_dude
12-21-2005, 05:10 PM
No comment ;D

DREDD
12-21-2005, 05:33 PM
:-*

DREDD
12-21-2005, 06:05 PM
mam kayo po ba alam nyo yung score ng bawat player nung laro ng FEU VS UST?...pa post naman po...salamat....

gameface_one
12-21-2005, 06:13 PM
We will post the stats as soon as we get the official stat sheets from the FMC officials.

chba_dude
01-02-2006, 01:20 PM
any updates on the January sked?

gameface_one
01-02-2006, 07:42 PM
We will receive the schedules hopefully within the week.

DREDD
01-03-2006, 07:01 PM
recap naman po nung game ng feu vs ust....salamat po...

gameface_one
01-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Dredd,

We will post the recap within the week.

DREDD
01-04-2006, 08:29 AM
OK....SALAMAT PO....

allblue
01-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Just received this information:

Ateneo-San beda game for the FMC3 is scheduled for Jan 28. No time yet.

Venue will be at San Beda and game will coincide with SBC's annual fair.

bchoter
01-09-2006, 01:57 PM
which means outsiders would have a hard time looking for vacant seats... and also means the eagles will HEAR it from the bedans :D

allblue
01-09-2006, 04:14 PM
bchoter, that's true.

then again, the Ateneo gallery of the FMC is used to being outnumbered. just not outcheered or outheckled by the opponents. ;)

Wang-Bu
01-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Resbakan na naman ito kapag nagkataon. Sigurado ako medyo nataranta ang Beda sa pagkakatalo nila sa friendly game versus Ateneo. Pero antindi naman niyan, tinaon pa sa school fair ng Beda. Mga bossing na Bedista, baka naman po pwedeng wala ng singilan ng entrance sa game. Naalala ko last year libre ang tournament tapos biglang may naningil ng P50 entrance dahil lang fair sa Beda.

Actually OK lang ang may entrance basta kasama ng snacks at drinks sa singil, heh-hehe! Kahit isang sandwich at isang Zest-O lang! ;D

chba_dude
01-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Pasensya na Sir Wang-Bu. Naghahanap kasi ng magandang game ang Beda para sa annual Piyesta ng Santo Nino. Magandang laban ito both on and off the court. Lakas niyo mag-heckle eh. Outnumbered but never outcheered and outheckled. Hehe.

Will try to ask around kung may magagawa paraan para sa entrance ng Ateneo guests.

MargaretThrasher
01-10-2006, 08:58 AM
It's going to be difficult if the Ateneo guests get in for free. Word might get around and Beda will have guests at the fair who didn't pay admission because they only pretended to be part of the Ateneo gallery, which wouldn't be fair (no pun intended) at all especially if the proceeds from admission are to go to a worthy cause.

Wang-Bu's suggestion sounds like a good one :D I was going to suggest that a list be drawn up of the Ateneans who will watch the game so that they and only they can get in for free, but that wouldn't be fair (hehe ayan na naman) to Ateneo fans watching the games for the first time.

Just my thoughts.

allblue
01-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Latest game schedules are now posted on the main page. Just three games for January 14.

Article about the last playing day is also uploaded. :)

DREDD
01-14-2006, 01:14 PM
who win d game between ust vs letran dis morning?

DREDD
01-14-2006, 01:24 PM
recap naman po nung laban ng ust vs feu at ust vs letran....salamat po....

cackler
01-14-2006, 01:41 PM
DREDD:

Just got a text that it was UST by 8.

Details to follow.

DREDD
01-14-2006, 01:45 PM
thanx's for d info.... :-*

cackler
01-14-2006, 02:14 PM
UST def Letran B: 77 - 69
Letran A def MLQU: 74 - 59
FEU def STI: 59 - 51

Somebody else will do the recap. I hope they give us a little more on how Melchor Gile is doing for UST. It woudl also be interesting to see who from the B Team of Letran is stepping up.

Does FEU have a new big man now or will they be stuck with Barcellano?

davemathews
01-15-2006, 06:51 AM
UST def Letran B: 77 - 69
Letran A def MLQU: 74 - 59
FEU def STI: 59 - 51

Somebody else will do the recap.* I hope they give us a little more on how Melchor Gile is doing for UST.

i think bchoter has the best description about Melchor Gile lately in the other thread at ustexchange.com. although he is reluctant to say more on the kid's performance, but at least Mel is getting his own share of attention far less than what the others already got.

one thing i can say is that Melchor Gile is ready.

DREDD
01-16-2006, 01:39 PM
new sked naman....

DREDD
01-17-2006, 08:50 AM
cackler cino cino ba gumawa nung game ng ust vs letran?

DREDD
01-17-2006, 10:20 AM
recap naman po nung game ng ust...

gameface_one
01-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Day 6: UST Over Letran-B; Letran-A Stops MLQU; FEU Repulses STI
By Gameface.ph

Everybody appeared to be still suffering from Holiday Hangover as the first three games of the year of the Father Martin Cup Open Invitational all started out sluggishly. An early 8 A.M. start of Game Day Six at the Far Eastern University (FEU) Gym in Manila, however, did not prevent University of Santo Tomas (UST) from putting away Collegio San Juan de Letranís (CSJL)-B, 77-69. Letran-A had its way with Manuel L. Quezon University (MLQU), 74-59, while FEU had to repulse a late challenge by gritty System Technologies Institute (STI), 59-51.

The first quarter the was marked by multiple turnovers and lethargic play as USTís Jojo Duncil and Chester Taylor accounted for 12 of their 15 points. Boyet Bautista kept Letran-B in the hunt by making 2 of his game-high 4 three point shots. The second quarter turned out to be a Jemal Vizcarra versus Aaron Aban show as Vizcarra drilled in 13 points punctuated by 3 shots from beyond the arc as Aban answered back with 10 points of his own from his versatile inside-outside game. The Growling Tigers took the half 42-31 as Vizcarra was ably backed up by the consistent performances of Duncil and Allan Evangelista. The Knights came back from the break revitalized and put on an 8-17 burst with Bautista making his 2 other treys to inch them closer, 50-48, midway through the third quarter. Vizcarra, however, would have none of it as he played his familiar role of fireman, scoring the last 7 points of UST to retain a double digit advantage going into the last quarter, 66-56. The endgame became very defensive as each team was able to shut down every attempt at a serious run. Consequently, Letran-B was only able to chip away 2 points from USTís lead. Aban and Bautista finished with 19 and 12 points, respectively while Vizcarra, Duncil and Evangelista had 24, 20 and 12, but the play of the game was easily the fourth quarter rim-rattling dunk by Knight Rey Guevarra. After receiving the ball in transition he blew past his defender on the right flank, elevated from outside the shaded area near the baseline and slammed the ball through the hoop with both hands.

Letran-A recovered from a very slow 2-9 start to cruise past the MLQU. It was open court basketball all the way as both teams were content in running and gunning at each other. Turnovers were numerous as players opted for a freewheeling style of play. Letran-A went into the break ahead 42-29 largely due to the 16 first half points of Jonathan Aldave who finished with a game high 20. The Stallions were listless in the second half even as the Knights eased off the throttle a bit. The lone bright spot for MLQU was the spirited performance of Jon-Jon Lutestica who scored 11 points in the fourth quarter to finish with 18 for the game. It was a solid outing for Coach Mel Alasí boys who are undefeated in two games.

STI proved that its moniker, The Cinderella Team of the National Athletic Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (NAASCU), is well deserved. This second year team which rose from second to the last in their maiden season to championship runner last year showed their character as they battled FEU tooth and nail in the homestretch. The Olympians were able to stand toe-to-toe with the taller and more athletic Tamaraws in the first quarter behind the 8 points of Jun Perez who finished with a team-high 13. FEU, however, asserted its dominance in the second quarter by limiting STI to only 8 points and scoring 20 behind the 9 points of JR Gerilla who finished with a game -high 16. It did not help STIís cause any when Marlon Yambao was ejected from the game for a serious unsportsmanlike foul. They were, however, able to reduce the deficit to 8 as Jonathan Belano scored all of his 7 points in the third quarter. The struggle became notably more intense in the final quarter as the Olympians hacked their way closer. With less than 2 minutes to go and FEU ahead by only a point, STI was sent to the charity line for a chance at the lead. Unfortunately, they would not progress any further. Two missed free throws later, FEU was able to convert for a 54-51 lead. A turnover and another FEU conversion later and STIís chances suddenly dimmed, 56-51 with 24 seconds to go. A series of desperation attempts and intentional fouls settled the final score, but Coach Vic Icasianoís wards proved their mettle as they dropped to their fourth loss in six outings.

DREDD
01-18-2006, 10:10 AM
sir how about d game between ust ang feu last december can u give us a highlight...thanx's

cackler
01-18-2006, 10:35 AM
DREDD:

Matagal nang naka post doon sa FMC Section. You can find it by scrolling down the News and Articles Portion. You will find the FMC Day 5 Report.

Happy reading.

DREDD
01-18-2006, 11:26 AM
ok thanks...

allblue
01-18-2006, 03:49 PM
FMC Upcoming Games:

January 21, Saturday. Venue: Rizal Memorial Coliseum

1:00pm - STI vs. University of Assumption-Pampanga

January 22, Sunday. Venue: FEU Gym

8:00am - Letran-A vs. FEATI
9:30am - Letran-B vs. MLQU
11:00am - UST vs. San Beda
12:30pm - FEU vs. Ateneo

chba_dude
01-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Hindi ata ako makakanuod ng Pacquiao nito. Hehe.

full battle gear
01-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Result of today's game:

STI defeats Uinversity of Assumption-Pampanga, 83-74.

allblue
01-22-2006, 11:52 PM
chba_dude, nakanood ka pa ba ng laban ni Pacman? Aga yata natapos game ng Beda. Panalo na naman kayo! Kwento ka naman. :)

I was able to catch only the Ateneo-FEU game wherein Team Glory Be defeated FEU. Game was close eventhough the Eagles had the upperhand most of the time, leading FEU at the end of all quarters.

In the final 5 minutes of the game, Mark Intal sizzled with three consecutive three pointers which allowed Ateneo to pull away. Defensive stops at the endgame sealed the victory for the Eagles, 53-45.

Kudos also to Pao Dizon for a great game. I think a lot of opponents don't take him seriously because he's not tall and looks so young. By the time they realize how much damage he can inflict on them, it's all too late.

fraternizer
01-23-2006, 08:24 AM
FATHER MARTIN CUP OPEN INVITATIONAL
GAME RESULTS

January 22, 2006: Game Day 7
Game 1:* Letran-A defeats FEATI, 68-63
Game 2:* Letran-B defeats MLQU, 51-39

AnthonyServinio
01-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Just received this information:

Ateneo-San beda game for the FMC3 is scheduled for Jan 28.* No time yet.*

Venue will be at San Beda and game will coincide with SBC's annual fair.
Unfortunately, the Father Martin Open game between San Beda and Ateneo that was supposed to be played in San Beda as part of the annual Frolics (school fair) will NOT push through. The game will be played on the same day at a neutral venue, most likely the FEU Gym together with the other FMC pairings for the day.

The Blue Eagles (4-1) are in prime contention for one of two championship slots. The undefeated Red Lions (6-0) have the inside track on one slot, barring a monumental collapse in their final three games. Santo Tomas (5-2), Letran A (3-0), Letran B (1-2) and Far Eastern (4-3) are all mathematically in the hunt with 27 of 45 scheduled elimination round games played.

chba_dude
01-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Inabutan ko nga yun sa tv. exakto sa start ng match. I had to turn off my phone the whole time.

San Beda started out slowly.. personal opinion ko, low energy at parang wala sa focus.. Parang may hangover pa sa big win against FEU the day before.. They couldn't put the smaller Tigers away.. Everytime they tried to pull away, the Tigers would come storming back.. Well for three quarters at least...

Then when the San Beda D stepped up in the fourth canto, there was not much the Tigers could do. The Red Lions limited them to just 4 fourth quarter points.. JR Tecson provided the offensive spark in the SBC last canto breakaway with 2 triples that pretty much put the game away..

I didn't bother getting the boxscores anymore.. I let Anthony have the monopoly of acquring and posting boxscores nowadays. ;D

DREDD
01-23-2006, 06:11 PM
CHUBA_DUDE TELEVISE BA YUNG GAME NG FMC? ANUNG CHANEL?

chba_dude
01-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Dredd, I was referring to the Pacquiao match on tv.

chba_dude
01-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Btw, the announced game San Beda against Ateneo in the FMC Open that was to be held this Saturday will not proceed as tentatively announced.. San Beda won't even be facing the Ateneo FMC team this weekend.. The Red Lions will be facing Letran instead on Sunday at FEU Gym.. No details yet about game time and if it will be against Letran-A or Letran-B..

MargaretThrasher
01-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Shucks, that means maglilinis na lang ako ng kuwarto ko this Saturday :P

DREDD
01-24-2006, 06:32 PM
sir mam recap naman nung game ng ust vs. san beda....salamat...

dead.duck.walking
01-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Unfortunately, the Father Martin Open game between San Beda and Ateneo that was supposed to be played in San Beda as part of the annual Frolics (school fair) will NOT push through.* The game will be played on the same day at a neutral venue, most likely the FEU Gym together with the other FMC pairings for the day.

Anong time ang laro ng SBC vs. ADMU sa jan. 28?
thanks.

gameface_one
01-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Here are the revised schedules for the games this weekend:

Jan. 28, 2006, Saturday (FEU Gym)

9:00 am Letran - A vs. UST
10:30 am Letran - B vs. Ateneo
12:00 pm FEU vs FEATI

Jan. 29, 2006, Sunday (FEU Gym)

9:00 am Letran - A vs. STI
10:30 am Letran - B vs. SBC
12:00 pm UA-P vs. MLQU

DREDD
01-28-2006, 10:58 AM
panalo daw po ust vs letran - a 80-83....nkuha ko lang sa ustexchange...

milogirl
01-28-2006, 11:14 PM
FATHER MARTIN CUP OPEN INVITATIONAL
GAME RESULTS

January 28, 2006: Game Day 8
Game 1:* UST defeats Letran-A, 83-80
Game 2:* ADMU defeats Letran-B , 74-50

DREDD
01-30-2006, 10:15 AM
milogirl recap naman nung game ng ust....salamat...

gameface_one
01-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Game Results last weekend:

Jan. 28, Saturday:

UST def. Letran A, 83-80
Ateneo def. Letran B, 74-50
FEU def. FEATI, 63-58

Jan. 29, Sunday:

Letran A def. STI, 61-56
Letran B def. SBC, 60-55
UA-P def. MLQU, 57-46

allblue
01-30-2006, 12:38 PM
What happened during the Letran-B-San Beda game? I'm really quite surprised that Beda didn't win this one.

Prior to this game, San Beda was undefeated and looked poised to sweep the eliminations of the FMC3.

DREDD
01-30-2006, 12:49 PM
siguro wala dun c ekwe ba yun nung natalo cla... ;D

DREDD
01-31-2006, 11:29 AM
mga bosing recap naman nung game ng ust....salamat...\‹/

gameface_one
01-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Dredd,

Konting pasensya lang po. We are covering 4 leagues at the same time. Don't worry, once the write-ups are finished we will post them at once. Baka may kakilala ka na gustong mag cover ng Games i-PM mo lang sa akin para mabilis ang reporting.

Salamat ulit.

DREDD
01-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Dredd,

Konting pasensya lang po. We are covering 4 leagues at the same time. Don't worry, once the write-ups are finished we will post them at once. Baka may kakilala ka na gustong mag cover ng Games i-PM mo lang sa akin para mabilis ang reporting.

Salamat ulit.

pasensya na din po...at salamat din po ala po ako kakilala eh...\‹/

Sam Miguel
01-31-2006, 07:51 PM
What happened during the Letran-B-San Beda game?* I'm really quite surprised that Beda didn't win this one.*

Prior to this game, San Beda was undefeated and looked poised to sweep the eliminations of the FMC3.*

This was a case of one team playing great at the same time the opposing team played so-so. Talk about underestimating the opposition. I believe Beda played sans Ogie Menor, but they had an otherwise full lineup. Aban and Bautista simply ran the show for Coach Louie Alas (yes, he coached this one). Although the B Knights were smaller than the Lions across the board, they made up for it with a more determined matchup zone on defense, better quickness chasing down loose balls, and more aggressiveness taking the rock to the hole especially on transition.

Looks like Coach Koy Banal has a lot to teach his new boys about playing better defense, something that has bothered Beda in both the FMC and HAIL tournaments. Good thing they've got plenty of talented scorers like Menor, Bam Gamalinda, Pong Escobal, Eric Sugitan and Jay Maggay, because their defense comes and goes, something highly uncharacteristic of a Koy Banal team. This Beda team gives up almost as many points as it scores, much to the consternation of Coach Koy. If Beda is to make a serious run at the NCAA next season, that defense has to get consistent.

oca
02-01-2006, 08:28 AM
These series of tournaments are all in preparation for next NC' season.

It was a bad loss. But if the players will realize what lieas ahead of them next season and what needs to be done, I am sure in hindsight Coach Koy will gladly take this defeat.

What happened during the Letran-B-San Beda game?* I'm really quite surprised that Beda didn't win this one.*

Prior to this game, San Beda was undefeated and looked poised to sweep the eliminations of the FMC3.*

This was a case of one team playing great at the same time the opposing team played so-so. Talk about underestimating the opposition. I believe Beda played sans Ogie Menor, but they had an otherwise full lineup. Aban and Bautista simply ran the show for Coach Louie Alas (yes, he coached this one). Although the B Knights were smaller than the Lions across the board, they made up for it with a more determined matchup zone on defense, better quickness chasing down loose balls, and more aggressiveness taking the rock to the hole especially on transition.

Looks like Coach Koy Banal has a lot to teach his new boys about playing better defense, something that has bothered Beda in both the FMC and HAIL tournaments. Good thing they've got plenty of talented scorers like Menor, Bam Gamalinda, Pong Escobal, Eric Sugitan and Jay Maggay, because their defense comes and goes, something highly uncharacteristic of a Koy Banal team. This Beda team gives up almost as many points as it scores, much to the consternation of Coach Koy. If Beda is to make a serious run at the NCAA next season, that defense has to get consistent.* * *

gameface_one
02-01-2006, 07:37 PM
We have been receiving inquiries asking us to confirm whether there's a (FMC) game between Ateneo and San Beda this Sunday, Feb. 5 at 3 pm.

We would like to announce that no schedule has been finalized yet for this weekend. Rest assured, we will announce the schedules once we receive the official and final correspondence from the league.

One thing's sure though, we were advised that there will be no FMC game between Ateneo and San Beda this coming Sunday, Feb. 5.

Standby for the schedule announcement.

Thanks.

gameface_one
02-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Final FMC game sked this weekend:

Saturday, Feb. 4, 2006 (FEU Gym):

11:00 am FEATI vs. UA-P

1:00 pm SBC vs. Letran A

No games on Sunday.

milogirl
02-04-2006, 10:54 PM
Game Results:

Feb. 4, Saturday:

FEATI def. UA-P, 72-69
SBC def. Letran A, 67-55

chba_dude
02-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Actually, San Beda won over Letran-A by default.

Players from both Letran-A and B played in the last game. I wasn't able to find out why Letran-A forfeited. The game last Saturday was nothing more than a tuneup game.

I guess I will never see Andaya vs Ekwe in this lifetime...

gameface_one
02-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Upcoming Game Schedule:

Sunday, Feb. 9, 2006 (FEU Gym)

10:30 am UA-P vs UST

12:00 pm Ateneo vs. MLQU

MargaretThrasher
02-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Feb 9 is a Thursday. I hope you mean Feb 12.

full battle gear
02-07-2006, 02:12 PM
FMC games for February 12, Sunday at the FEU Gym.

9:00 am FEU vs Letran

10:30am UA-P vs UST

12:00pm Ateneo vs MLQU

Yup, it's February 12, not February 9. Baka inaantok pa si gameface_one nung pinost yun. :D

DREDD
02-07-2006, 03:27 PM
wish ust win this last one... :)

gameface_one
02-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Margaret/Full Battle Gear,

Thanks for correcting. Inaantok pa nga ako. Sorry.

AnthonyServinio
02-13-2006, 12:33 AM
HERE are the seven games that have yet to be played in the Father Martin Open after the three games on February 12th:

Asumption vs Letran B
Ateneo vs Letran A
FEATI vs Letran B
FEATI vs M.L. Quezon
Letran A vs Letran B
Letran B vs STI
and
Ateneo vs San Beda

The ten-team single-round robin elimination consists of 45 total games played with each team playing nine games.

DREDD
02-13-2006, 10:41 AM
sir anthony sino po nanalo sa ust vs u-ap? salamat po...

allblue
02-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Caught the Ateneo vs. MLQU game which the Blue Eagles won in overtime.

Game was close in the beginning but by the second quarter, the shooters of MLQU found their range and were up by 14 points at halftime.

Adjustments were made by Ateneo in the second half with JC and Doug taking the ball strong to the hoop, resulting in a couple of and-1 plays. Doug even had a beauty of a dunk that had him taking off just a bit past the freethrow line. Yeah, I couldn't believe it myself. Kaya na pala tumalon ni Doug ng ganun kataas. :D The Eagles were able to inch closer but still couldn't put the game away even if they had possession with 11 seconds left in regulation.

After glancing at the shotclock which was turned off, Macky assumed there was no more time and threw up a prayer of a shot that had absolutley no chance in hell of going in. Regulation ended at 58-all.

Because so many of the players of MLQU were in foul trouble, their defense just couldn't put the necessary pressure on Ateneo anymore. The Blue Eagles won, 69-61.

As for MLQU, I hope their players learn to focus more on executing their plays and supporting their teammates instead of engaging the opposing gallery in heckling and throwing countless cheap shots when things don't go their way. That's the ONLY team I've seen behave like that. Their heads were clearly not in the game and they got too cocky for their own good. They need to develop some maturity on the court. And some manners, as well. ;)

gameface_one
02-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Last Sunday's game results:

Letran A def. FEU, 71 - 52

UST def. UA-P, 67 - 63

Ateneo def. MLQU, 69 - 63

gameface_one
02-14-2006, 12:00 PM
For those Ateneans who have been asking for their FMC game schedules this week in advance, there will be no game this Thursday (contrary to what was announced in your home site).

There will be a game between San Beda and Ateneo on Sunday at 12 pm in FEU gym.

Hope this helps. We will post the rest of the sked this week once finalized by the organizers.

gameface_one
02-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Game Schedule for this Sunday, Feb. 19, 2006 (FEU Gym):

9:00 am MLQU vs FEATI

10:30 am UA-P vs. Letran A

12:00 pm Ateneo vs. SBC

MargaretThrasher
02-15-2006, 02:13 PM
For those Ateneans who have been asking for their FMC game schedules this week in advance, there will be no game this Thursday (contrary to what was announced in your home site).
Boo.

But on the bright side, I won't miss American Idol. :D

fraternizer
02-17-2006, 01:51 AM
Just to recap…

GAME DAY 7: Jan. 21, Saturday, results:

STI def. UA-P, 83-74

GAME DAY 8: Jan. 22, Sunday, results:

Letran A def. FEATI, 68-63

Letran B def. MLQU, 51-39

SBC def. UST, 52-42

ADMU def. FEU, 53-45

GAME DAY 9: Jan. 28, Saturday, results:

UST def. Letran A, 83-80

ADMU def. Letran B, 74-50

FEU def. FEATI, 63-58

GAME DAY 10: Jan. 29, Sunday, results:

Letran A def. STI, 61-56

Letran B def. SBC, 60-55

UA-P def. MLQU, 57-46

GAME DAY 11: Feb. 4, Saturday, results:

FEATI def. UA-P, 72-69

SBC def. Letran A, 67-55

GAME DAY 12 Feb. 12, Sunday, results:

Letran A def. FEU, 71-52

UST def. UA-P, 67-63

ADMU def. MLQU, 69 - 63

gameface_one
02-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Game Day 9: UST Beats Letran A, Ateneo Stops Letran B, FEU Over FATI
By Gameface.ph

Game Day Nine of the Father Martin Cup Open Invitational at the Far Eastern University (FEU) Gym in Manila saw twin losses by Collegio San Juan de Letran (CSJL) as University of Santo Tomas (UST) nosed out its Team A, 83-80, and Ateneo de Manila University (ADMU) trounced its Team B, 74-50. In the final game of the day, FEU beat out Far East Asian Technological Institute (FEATI), 63-58.

UST and CSJL-A didnít waste any time sizing each other up. They went at it right away from the tip-off and the match became a run and gun affair. After CSJL-A barely took the first quarter, 16-17, it dropped a 27-point bomb in the second to pull away, 36-44, behind JP Alcaraz and Jonathan Aldave who finished with 23 and 20 points, respectively. After the break, UST seemed to be content with just trading baskets with CSJL-A as they were not able to reduce the 8-point deficit going into the final quarter. The homestretch of the game saw the Growling Tigers unleash a devastating finishing kick behind the energized trio of Jemal Vizcarra, Jojo Duncil and Chester Taylor who spearheaded a 26-15 run. The Knights, on the other hand, looked spent in the endgame, committing numerous turnovers and allowing easy transition baskets.

CSJL-A also led after the first quarter, 22-23, behind Philippine Basketball League (PBL) mainstays Boyet Bautista and Aaron Aban. ADMU, playing with University Athletics Association of the Philippines (UAAP) veterans Macky Escalona, JC Intal and Doug Kramer, clamped down on defense in the second quarter and allowed only 6 points to be scored against them while going on another 22-point tear of their own. At the firing end of their offense were Ronnie Bughao, Yuri Escuata, Jobe Nkemakolam and Mark Intal who all finished in double figures in points. Coming back from halftime, the Knights looked more organized and but were scarcely able to chip away at the 15-point lead to start the payoff period still behind 54-42. In the last ten minutes of the game, the Blue Eagles decided to put the game away by totally dominating on defense, allowing only 3 field goals. ADMU added another 20 points to its tally and won the match pulling away.

gameface_one
02-18-2006, 11:18 AM
An exclusive and separate webpage on the FMC League is already up and running. All game updates and schedules are posted there. Just refer to the "Fr. Martin Cup" in the "LEAGUES" button below the Gameface TV display.

crazybedan
02-19-2006, 09:41 AM
guyz if san beda wins today or pasok n b tyo sa championship??what if matalo tied tyo with ust?what will be the format..im sure tyo p din pasok ksi we beat them d b.so if the coast is clear for as sa championships sino mkakalban ntin.ksi sa bedista.com sbe its either letran
(5-2) or ateneo(6-2)...pnu mangyayari un eh ust is in 2nd with (7-2)..anyone who know's the real format of this FMC 2..tnx guyz...goodluck LIONS go SAN BEDA FIGHT

tambay_sa_recto
02-19-2006, 05:52 PM
maitanong ko lang po kung may Final 4 pa ba sa FMC?

fraternizer
02-19-2006, 06:06 PM
GAME DAY 13: Feb. 19, Sunday, results:

FEATI def. MLQU, 91-80

Letran A def. UA-P, 79-77

ADMU def. SBC, 108-106 (2ot)

SINGLE GAME CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE PLAYED BETWEEN ADMU AND SBC.* DATE AND VENUE TO BE ANNOUNCED.

chba_dude
02-20-2006, 01:14 AM
No excuses. We lost.

3-0 ang Ateneo against SBC since FMC 2. Counting the reunion match and this game. Contra pelo?

But the next game will be the big one, an FMC championship will be at stake. The one that didn't happen the last time around.

Topscorers:

SBC

Escobal 21
Menor 16
Ekwe 13
Tecson 11

ADMU

Bughao 24
Kramer 23
Escalona 21
Intal, JC 16

AnthonyServinio
02-20-2006, 02:13 PM
I strongly doubt if the following remaining fixtures will be played out:

Ateneo vs. Letran A
Letran A vs. Letran B
FEATI vs. Letran B
Letran B vs. STI

Assuming if Letran A will sweep its last two assignments, a four-way tie at the top will ensue between Ateneo, San Beda-Manila, Santo Tomas and Letran A all having 7-2 win-loss records.* Applying the winner-over-the-other rule, San Beda and Ateneo get the top two spots with 2-1 cards while Santo Tomas and Letran A get 1-2 cards.

Tournament organizer Noel Ascue earlier plotted the finale to be played on February 18, 2006.

MargaretThrasher
02-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Well, it's already been announced that Ateneo and San Beda would already be facing off in the FMC3 finals (and rumor has it that said match would be taking place this week). So the remaining matches - if they will be played at all - would be moot and academic.

reds16
02-20-2006, 05:37 PM
I strongly doubt if the following remaining fixtures will be played out:

Ateneo vs. Letran A
Letran A vs. Letran B
FEATI vs. Letran B
Letran B vs. STI

Assuming if Letran A will sweep its last two assignments, a four-way tie at the top will ensue between Ateneo, San Beda-Manila, Santo Tomas and Letran A all having 7-2 win-loss records.* Applying the winner-over-the-other rule, San Beda and Ateneo get the top two spots with 2-1 cards while Santo Tomas and Letran A get 1-2 cards.

Tournament organizer Noel Ascue earlier plotted the finale to be played on February 18, 2006.

Sir Anthony sa Feb 18, 2006 ang finals? dba Feb 20 na today.

gameface_one
02-20-2006, 07:44 PM
This Sam Miguel article is supposed to be posted tom under his column. We are posting it already here in advance because of the relevance and timing of the topic.

The Morning After
by Sam Miguel

Rivalry Renewed

Being an old fashioned sort I just love it when things I thought were long dead make a comeback. Case in point: the Ateneo Ė San Beda basketball rivalry. No, San Beda is not (yet) in the UAAP. Neither has Ateneo made a return to the NCAA. Thanks to the hardcore tournaments organized by the intrepid Mr Noel Ascue however, true hoops junkies get to see glimpses of what was once the greatest rivalry in Philippine college hoops. If the MICAA had YCO Ė Ysmael Steel, and the PBA had Toyota Ė Crispa, college hoopdom once had Ateneo Ė San Beda.

To those of you who only watch either the UAAP or the NCAA cage wars, methinks its time you find the time to catch the Finals of the Fr Martin Cup Open Division, because this will feature the Blue Eagles and the Red Lions in a one game winner-take-all championship match. UAAP players seeing action for the Ateneo include JC Intal and Macky Escalona, while San Beda has NCAA regulars like Ogie Menor and JR Taganas. One interesting side light: former San Beda Red Lion Ė now Blue Eagle in waiting Ė Ronnie Bughao will be squaring off against his former team. Other former Beda boys now on the Ateneo roster include Yuri Escueta, Jeff De Guzman and Mike Baldos.

Ateneo has so far been a perfect 3 Ė 0 against this same San Beda team, dating back to the last FMC tournament as well as the Friendship Match hosted by the Lions at the St Placid Gym about a month ago. In their last match last 19 February, Ateneo needed two overtimes to edge Beda 108-106 in an uncharacteristically high scoring affair. Bughao led Ateneo with 24 or 25 points while future NCAA superstar Pong Escobal had 23 points to lead San Beda. Its interesting to note that the two men most likely to take over the starting point guard spots for the respective schools are the ones leading the way. This can only bode well for Ateneo and San Beda.

Ateneo once played exclusively with its B Team, but have since been reinforced with three of their UAAP starters, almost all of whom scored in the 20ís during their game over the weekend. San Beda is slowly gelling as a team, as evidenced by the more active participation of Nigerian giant Sam Ekwe on offense. Look for Ateneo to go to their UAAP veterans in the finals, even as the young lions like Escobal and Ekwe carry the torch for San Beda.

This will be a game of transition versus the half court. Even with the youngsters on San Beda, Ateneo clearly has the edge when the game turns up-tempo. There arenít very many teams that can keep up with Ateneo in the open court with the likes of Bughao, Paulo Dizon, Mark and JC Intal, Escalona and Kramer all capable of staying in fifth gear for 40 minutes. San Beda on the other hand is tough to stop at the half court, with their towering lineup of Ekwe, Michael Burtscher, Eric Sugitan and Mike Galinato making like a walking skyline. The slashing of Menor and the shooting of Escobal keep defenses honest.

On defense though, Ateneo seems to be a tougher customer, not necessarily because theyíre tougher or stronger, but because of the simple philosophy of Coach Norman Black: never give up the inside plays and always help and jam the passing lanes from the wing to stop entry passes and the drive and draw. On the other hand, Coach Koy Banal is famous for making defense his overriding coaching philosophy. His zones are very tight and highly disciplined. There isnít very much emphasis on blocks or steals, but rather preventing high percentage shots by matching up and scrambling the patterns of the offensive team.

However, the young Lions are still short of fully grasping the Banal system, and have often been chastised by Banal whenever switches and recoveries get all mixed up. Plus San Beda is not as fleet of foot as Ateneo on transition, as evidenced by the disparity in fast break opportunities and points favoring Ateneo. Black on the other hand is having a tough time trying to stop the pick and roll of tall, athletic teams like San Beda, especially with crackerjack slashers and shooters like Tecson, Bam Gamalinda and Angeles moving very well without the ball.

All told this will not be a game of match-ups. This will boil down to who exerts better team effort. One or two players on either side might go nuts and shoot the lights out, but ultimately whoever plays more as a team, helps on defense, makes the extra pass on offense, and imposes their overall strategy will win.

Fearless forecast: San Beda by four, 82-78 or something in that neighborhood.

Wang-Bu
02-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Tancha ko lang nasa bandang 82-72, o mas higit pa ang magiging lamang ng Beda. Masyado ng binebwenas ang Ateneo kapag San Beda kalaban, malamang abutan na sila ng law of averages. Pero tama ang sinabi ni Sam Miguel, mukhang wala pa sa ayos ang depensa ng Beda. Baka naman dapat simplehan na ni Koy Banal ang sistema niya sa depensa, yaman rin lang meron siyang mga tagasupalpal like Ekwe, Sugitan and Taupa. Ang hirap kasi sa mga sona ni Koy hindi pwede sa mga gigil, lalo na sa mga bata, e puro gigil at mga bata ang mga inaasahan niya ngayon. Sa Ateneo naman, kung ako sa kanila ibahin din nilang philosophy nila sa depensa. Kinakatay talaga sila ng mga pick and roll at drive and draw kasi nga hindi ganun kalaki o kalakas ang mga nagbabantay sa perimeter nila. Kaya nga hindi nila ma-solve ang mga gaya nina Yeo at Arana, pati na rin mga gaya nina Escobal at Menor.

AnthonyServinio
02-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Sir Anthony sa Feb 18, 2006 ang finals? dba Feb 20 na today.
If not for several fortuitous events, the finals should have been held February 18 as originally scheduled.* If you recall, there was a long stretch that both Letran teams did not play due to their participation in the PBL Heroes Cup while other schools had commitments with other competitions like the PRISAA, HAIL and National Students.* That caused the schedule to be revised several times and the league extended.

Based on my experience, making a game schedule is one of the toughest and challenging aspects of league management.* The Father Martin Open is a ten-team league.* Imagine how tough it would be to plot the schedule of the regular Father Martin tournament every summer where over twenty teams play in different venues.

chba_dude
02-20-2006, 10:26 PM
SBC VS. ADMU
FMC3 CHAMPIONSHIP
FEB 23, 2006 THURSDAY
6 PM
FEU GYM

Kitakits tayo lahat dun... Paint the FEU Gym RED and BLUE...

bchoter
02-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Dami-daming araw bat Thursday pa :(

cackler
02-21-2006, 11:26 AM
I also have a feeling San Beda will win this one.

The main advantage of Ateneo is the fact that its big men love to run. I am sure Coach Koy will find a way to jam the outlet pass.

Ateneo's motion offense also opens a lot of driving plays. If the Bedan big men will stay out of foul trouble and the Bedan 2 guards are quick on the help defense, they should have no problem controlling the tempo of the game in the homestretch.

It is true that San Beda appears to have a weakness in the point guard rotation. However, this is only because the trap of Ateneo has not yet been solved in the sense that San Beda has relied on the individual skill of Escobal. If San Beda, as a team, learns the proper positioning and spacing when bringing odwn the ball, they should have no problem evading the trap. Burtscher plus another Bedan tall man with handles would be key players.

Of course, the crowd advantage will also go to San Beda. I just pray that the stands in FEU Gym are tough enough to handle all the stomping and rocking.

atenean_blooded
02-21-2006, 02:23 PM
This is going to be a tough assignment for Ateneo.

I that the Blue Eagles' poise helps them win.

ANIMO ATENEO!
ONE BIG FIGHT!

Pale Rider
02-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Since I just LOVE being a contrarian ( ;)), I'm calling it Ateneo by 5-7 points. In the last three meetings, Beda has still not kept the Blue Eagles from running up and down the floor and putting up a lot of points on the board. Unless Ateneo starts missing layups, I'm expecting another track meet won by the Blue and White. :)

cackler
02-21-2006, 09:09 PM
There is another dimension to the upcoming Beda - Ateneo game.

While Coach Koy is known to discipline his players to play clean, the hyped atmosphere can lead to a very physical game. And we all know that the Ateneo guards, specially Meds and Pao, employ a very physical and rugged defense.

The Bedan crowd will certainly be there and they will be aching for a win. If the game gets very physical, odds will favor Ateneo simply because the UAAP reinforcements have the experience to handle it.

Whew!

I hope gameface really gets to cover the game . . . sana may video clips . . . specially for those of us who are out of town.

atenean_blooded
02-23-2006, 12:25 AM
I hope I can make it to this game, considering I'll be coming from Ultra.

jancarlo
02-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Ateneo won. 83-73. :)

gameface_one
02-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Ateneo won. 83-73. :)

Thank you jancarlo for the quick update.

The boxscores:

Ateneo - 83: J. Intal - 25, Escalona - 23, Bughao -18, Kramer - 9, Escueta - 6, Uichico - 2

SBC - 73: Ekwe - 19, Escobal - 16, Tecson - 8, Taganas - 9, Burtcher - 5, Menor - 4, Tirona - 4, Evangelista -3, Maggay - 3, Gamalinda - 2,

Out_Of_The_Blue
02-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Good defensive game by the Eagles. Turning point was the 3rd quarter when the Eagles limited the Lions to just 9 pts while they hit it with 25. Ekwe, after erupting for 14 1st half points were limited to just 5 in the next 2 quarters. The pivotal coaching maneuver done by Gabby Severino was when he put Mike Baldos on Ekwe in the 3rd. The African Lion never received a good drop pass in the paint from since then. Yuri and Macky's defense on Tirona and Escobal were also key. First time for me to see Yuri Escueta that aggressive on the defensive end. The red lions simply had no answer to the Ateneo perimeter press. Key also is the defense put on Menor by JC Intal and Johann Uichico. Menor finished only with 4 pts. Clearly, he was the missing link in the Lions' offense.

cackler
02-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Kwento naman diyan.

From the box scores, is it the case that Ateneo only fielded 6 players while San Beda rotated 10? *Or did Ateneo field moreplayers but only 6 scored because the emphasis was defense?

Was the crowd a factor?

Was it a physical game?

What could San Beda have done to win? *

Was Ekwe lulled into over exerting himself like the way Ateneo allows the inward pass in the first parts of the game then suddenly clamps down on the post in the latter stages? *Does the low score of Gamalinda, show Ateneo shutting down the slashing plays of San Beda?

What were the major adjustments? *It looks like the veteran smarts prevailed with JC, Macky, Bughao, and Kramer. *What were the highlights?

Kwento naman . . . please po.

chba_dude
02-24-2006, 12:37 AM
There is another dimension to the upcoming Beda - Ateneo game.

While Coach Koy is known to discipline his players to play clean, the hyped atmosphere can lead to a very physical game.* And we all know that the Ateneo guards, specially Meds and Pao, employ a very physical and rugged defense.

The Bedan crowd will certainly be there and they will be aching for a win.* If the game gets very physical, odds will favor Ateneo simply because the UAAP reinforcements have the experience to handle it.

Whew!

I hope gameface really gets to cover the game . . . sana may video clips . . . specially for those of us who are out of town.

This post is right on the money cackler. The less experienced Red Lions fell prey to the soaring Blue Eagles.

The veteran quarterbacking of Escalona to me was the difference. He held the team together. He also provided the points in both games. Bughao was the same Bughao we have known back in the Den. If you need someone who will never be afraid to take the big shot, he is your guy. Kramer has bulked up and was throwing his weight around. JC Intal was probably the best all-around player on the court. What puzzles me is his penchant to fall in love with the long ball. Great slasher. When SBC perimeter defenders keep him from penetrating, he can easily post them up. With Jai, Ronnie, Macky and the other recruits who can effectively provide the outside sniping, JC will be a more potent offensive weapon for Ateneo. From mid-range to point-blank.

Congrats to the Eagles. The better team on the court won.

See you sa Home and Away. :)

Pale Rider
02-24-2006, 03:39 AM
Overall, I felt that this was all about dictating the pace of the game, and Ateneo was able to do that. The halfcourt D is MUCH improved, and even the transition D was definitely adequate. On offense, it helped that three guys - JC, Macky and Ronnie - were feeling good about their shots early on. Macky, in particular, turned Pong Escobal into a human turnstile and just scored on him and off him whenever he wanted to. JC definitely has a new attitude he's showing on the court, and this was especially evident when he blocked four Bam Gamalinda shots shortly after getting into a bit of a tussle with him. In other words, marunong nang mag-channel ng emotion si JC.

Mike Baldos provided the turning point of the game when he denied Sam Ekwe of any good scoring looks during a five-minute stretch in the third quarter. He denied Sam the ball, and during the times Sam was able to receive it, he was a step or two away from his comfort zone. That was big, because only Sam was clicking offensively for them. Pong coughed up 16 points on a SERIOUS boatload of shots.

This leads me to my confusion with Pong Escobal. Is he a true point guard? It seemed to me that he was looking for his own shots ALL GAME LONG. He was chucking it from 25 feet with hands in his faces, and a few of those came in the first half. He must have shot about 20 percent from the field today, and it was all due to poor shot selection. For whatever reason, he really showed an alarming unwillingness to give the ball up, and this is problematic for a point guard. Defensively, he was not able to do much about Macky. It even got to the point wherein he resorted to holding on to Macky's jersey to slow down his off-ball movement. That might have been a moment of desperation from him, and the frustration really showed. Might he have an easier time at the 2-spot?

This Beda team has a long way to go. The trust and familiarity among teammates aren't quite there yet. Good luck to them, of course, as they will face the upcoming NCAA season with everyone expecting them to reach the finals at least.

As for Ateneo, as long as everyone stays healthy and in good shape, things are looking pretty good for Season 69. It'll be interesting to see what Coach Norm can do with these guys next season. This team is slowly learning the art of letting its defense fuel its offense. And the boys look like they're capable of running all game long. I guess that means we won't have to worry about their conditioning.

The prettiest play of the game, by the way, was a sweet lob pass from Ronnie to JC for a two-handed flush. I'd love to download a video clip of that SOMEWHERE... ;D

cackler
02-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks chba_dude and Pale Rider:

It looks like Ateneo just knew when to tighten up and aganst whom. It looks like defense really did it.

As for Pong Escobal, maybe he "had to" take the shots, specially if the perimeter D of Ateneo was humming. A fleet footed 6' 4" like Baldos denying the entry pass but not giving up the lob pass is really a key to guarding somebody like Ekwe. Maybe Pong and Ekwe or any other tandem needed more practice on the pick and roll and other "two man ball" plays. Indeed, this can only come with time and seasoning as a team.

This is what wprries me as I saw Letran play in the latest National Students Basketball Championships and the full court defense of Letran is tough. They can also run for forty minutes.

I also saw the offense of PCU and they have a lot of "smart and quick" plays.

San Beda still has a long way to go. Good luck to them on their quest.

MargaretThrasher
02-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks guys for the game notes. I'm glad that Ateneo finally nabbed a championship after the strong showing in the past FMC2 tournaments. The boys deserved it.

allblue
02-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Congratulations to Team Glory Be. Well-deserved victory, indeed.

Defense and mental toughness may have been the key factors in this game. I agree with everyone that assigning Mike Baldos on Ekwe was critical. I did not see Ekwe get a decent pass from his teammates with Baldos on him.

The team was undaunted inspite of facing a gym full of Bedans and a handful of Ateneans (around 500 to 30). They played disciplined ball. When their shots did not go in, they just got back and played defense. I noticed that Ateneo just looked like they had deeper inner reserves to draw from. They have been playing together for awhile and know each other well enough to capitalize on each other's strengths and cover for each other's weaknesses.

Beda is already stacked, skills-wise. They may need to get used to a more physical type of play as I'm sure the NCAA boys don't play soft. Escobal, I think, really had to look for his shots because no other player was clicking offensively. But at one time, he already met 4 Ateneo players in the zone and still refused to pass the ball. Trust. I'm sure Coach Koy will make all the necessary adjustments and will whip up the Red Lions to fighting form come the NCAA season. Good luck to them.

cackler, the following played for Ateneo: Intal, Escalona, Kramer, Al-Hussaini, Bughao, Escueta, Baldos, Nkemakolam, Medina, Dizon, Uichico. While only 6 of them scored, the contributions of the others are invaluable in terms of defense.

cackler
02-24-2006, 10:05 AM
cackler, the following played for Ateneo:* Intal, Escalona, Kramer, Al-Hussaini, Bughao, Escueta, Baldos, Nkemakolam, Medina, Dizon, Uichico.* While only 6 of them scored, the contributions of the others are invaluable in terms of defense.*

Thanks allblue:

It looks like the conditioning program of the Coaching Staff of Ateneo is paying dividends. I hear Kramer has bulked up and increased his vertical even. Plus a lot of the boys can now run as a team, with the proper spacing.

By the way, Coach Gabby Severino is such an underrated Coach. Hmmmm.

chba_dude
02-24-2006, 10:09 AM
cackler, the following played for Ateneo:* Intal, Escalona, Kramer, Al-Hussaini, Bughao, Escueta, Baldos, Nkemakolam, Medina, Dizon, Uichico.* While only 6 of them scored, the contributions of the others are invaluable in terms of defense.*

Thanks allblue:

It looks like the conditioning program of the Coaching Staff of Ateneo is paying dividends.* I hear Kramer has bulked up and increased his vertical even.* Plus a lot of the boys can now run as a team, with the proper spacing.

By the way, Coach Gabby Severino is such an underrated Coach.* Hmmmm.

Amen to that. Has been my observation the last two times we got beaten by Ateneo. Specifically the last part cackler.

cackler
02-24-2006, 10:22 AM
chba_dude:

Loaded 'yan ah!

I get to speak to Coach Gabby sometimes and he always focuses on what errors are committed exclaiming: "Nampuchang stat sheet, walang errors . . . eh papaano matututo ang mga players!"

I think, for a while, he was an understudy of Coach Moran (Shell yata 'yun) and he also did time in some coaching camps in the States.

At any rate, San Beda does have the materials and it really is just a matter of time. i just pray that the expectations generated would not be too big a burden for the Team. For now, getting Menor, Escobal, and Ekwe on the "same page" appears critical. They would be deadly just as the tag team of Kramer-Intal (best buddies) coupled with the mature play of the Ateneo guards, is reaping defensive and offensive dividends for the team.

chba_dude
02-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Observation lang naman ng outsider...
He just might be the person who will be key in keeping Bughao in check.* ;)

Wang-Bu
02-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Ewan ko lang kung may naka-keep in check sa isang Ronnie Bughao...

Anyway, mukhang umaayos na naman ng laro nung Bughao, natututunan na niya na mas maganda para sa teamkung pumapasa siya imbis na tira ng tira. Sana lang magdere-dercho ang maturity niya otherwise matutulad siya kay Wesley Gonzalez nung 2001, tsugi!

tambay_sa_recto
02-24-2006, 10:41 PM
3-0 ang Ateneo against SBC since FMC 2. Counting the reunion match and this game. Contra pelo?

4-0 na. tama ka yata. contra pelo.

canmaker
02-25-2006, 12:32 AM
Magaling palang manghuhula sina pale rider at ateneo blooded!!! Nakuha naman pala ni sir wangbu ang winning margin ... iba lang nga ang winning team.

========

Tancha ko lang nasa bandang 82-72, o mas higit pa ang magiging lamang ng Beda. Masyado ng binebwenas ang Ateneo kapag San Beda kalaban, malamang abutan na sila ng law of averages. Pero tama ang sinabi ni Sam Miguel, mukhang wala pa sa ayos ang depensa ng Beda. Baka naman dapat simplehan na ni Koy Banal ang sistema niya sa depensa, yaman rin lang meron siyang mga tagasupalpal like Ekwe, Sugitan and Taupa. Ang hirap kasi sa mga sona ni Koy hindi pwede sa mga gigil, lalo na sa mga bata, e puro gigil at mga bata ang mga inaasahan niya ngayon. Sa Ateneo naman, kung ako sa kanila ibahin din nilang philosophy nila sa depensa. Kinakatay talaga sila ng mga pick and roll at drive and draw kasi nga hindi ganun kalaki o kalakas ang mga nagbabantay sa perimeter nila. Kaya nga hindi nila ma-solve ang mga gaya nina Yeo at Arana, pati na rin mga gaya nina Escobal at Menor.

canmaker
02-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Ms AllBlue,

Bakit nga pala di naglaro si Japeth?

-----------------------------------------------

Congratulations to Team Glory Be.* Well-deserved victory, indeed.

Defense and mental toughness may have been the key factors in this game.* I agree with everyone that assigning Mike Baldos on Ekwe was critical.* I did not see Ekwe get a decent pass from his teammates with Baldos on him.*

The team was undaunted inspite of facing a gym full of Bedans and a handful of Ateneans (around 500 to 30).* They played disciplined ball.* When their shots did not go in, they just got back and played defense.* I noticed that Ateneo just looked like they had deeper inner reserves to draw from.* They have been playing together for awhile and know each other well enough to capitalize on each other's strengths and cover for each other's weaknesses.*

Beda is already stacked, skills-wise. They may need to get used to a more physical type of play as I'm sure the NCAA boys don't play soft.* Escobal, I think, really had to look for his shots because no other player was clicking offensively.* *But at one time, he already met 4 Ateneo players in the zone and still refused to pass the ball.* Trust.* *I'm sure Coach Koy will make all the necessary adjustments and will whip up the Red Lions to fighting form come the NCAA season.* Good luck to them.*

jancarlo
02-25-2006, 09:24 AM
^Some are assigned to play for Father Martin's Cup while others are for Home and Away Invitational League. They divided the Team A and Team B.

allblue
02-25-2006, 02:39 PM
canmaker,

Japeth is with the HAIL team together with majority of the UAAP boys - Zion, Ken, Jai, Chris, Emman, Martin. They are being reinforced by some boys from Glory Be.

He'll have his chance to play against Beda on Monday for the HAIL game. It would be interesting to see the Ekwe-Aguilar match-up. :)

And underrated talaga yang si Coach Gabby. Strict din pero I like that he stays pretty calm during the game. When someone makes a mistake, isang salita lang, tapos na. Referee lang madalas nun awayin. :D

Gil_Andrews
02-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Observation lang naman ng outsider...
He just might be the person who will be key in keeping Bughao in check.* ;)

I remember one time in a game (FMC), Bughao "misbehaved" by showing some bad attitude to Gabby. Hindi pinalagpas ni Gabby. Hindi ipinasok maski na ahead ang kalaban. Nanalo pa rin ang Ateneo. After the game, isang oras nag 1 on 1 sa parking si Gabby at Ronnie. After that, ok na sila. Bughao has been unstoppable ever since.

5FootCarrot
02-26-2006, 07:52 AM
canmaker,

Japeth is with the HAIL team together with majority of the UAAP boys - Zion, Ken, Jai, Chris, Emman, Martin. They are being reinforced by some boys from Glory Be.

He'll have his chance to play against Beda on Monday for the HAIL game. It would be interesting to see the Ekwe-Aguilar match-up. :)
I think we've seen Japeth vs. Ekwe at the first Ateneo-San Beda exhibition game. Just sayin'. Still, I'm also eager to see them play against each other again. I don't think Jap's 6'8" anymore, let's see if he's now tall enough to eat an apple off Ekwe's head. Hehehe.

No comment on Kotz Gab and Ronnie.

gameface_one
02-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey Carrot, welcome to Gameface! We welcome the popular and pretty moderator of atenista.net to our playground. Feel free to share and exchange your views regarding local hardcore hoops.

gameface_one
02-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Advance copy of the article for posting tom on the FMC webpage and Gameface Featured article section:

ATENEO CLAIMS FMC OPEN CROWN
By gameface.ph

23 February 2006, FEU Gym. Ateneo De Manila turned back San Beda College in a hard-fought one-game championship 83-73, annexing the Fr Martin Cup Open Division (FMC Open) basketball title before a raucous crowd at the FEU Gym in Sampaloc, Manila.* In the fourth installment of a renewing rivalry, the action was hot, fierce and every bit hardcore.

San Beda had a brilliant first half behind the heads-up plays of outstanding newcomers John Paul Escobal and Nigerian giant Samuel Ekwe.* Escobalís perimeter shooting and the strong inside presence of Ekwe presided over an inside-outside freeway that had Ateneo backpedaling for most of the second period as the Red Lions took a 44-48 lead into the half.

Ateneo found its rhythm in the second half though, as veterans John Christopher Intal and Mark Escalona combined forces with UAAP aspirant and former Red Lion Ronnie Bughao to overhaul a 51-46 lead into a 66-55 bubble time down to just under two minutes in the third period.* Play was momentarily halted when Intal had a little tussle with Bam Gamalinda as the predominantly San Beda crowd roared in disapproval.* When order was restored Intal had four of his game high five blocks on the usually prolific Gamalinda.

In the payoff period Ateneo turned up its signature scrambling man-to-man defense as Escobal and Ekwe were simply shut down.* Mike Baldos, the 6í4Ē all-finesse forward erratic and barely stirring throughout the tournament, handcuffed the 6í8Ē Ekwe even as Escalona and another former San Beda Red Cub, Yuri Escueta, hounded the 5í11Ē Escobal all over the court.* *

The Blue Eagles finished off the Lions with calm free throw shooting in the dying seconds for the final count.

It was the first championship for Ateneo Team B coach Gabby Severino, and he was single-handedly given a victory ride by the bull-strong Jobe Nkemakolam.* *

Mang_Roger
02-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Angeles, Ed Canlas and Tecson tried to carry the fight for the still-fighting Red Lions as their gallery egged them on.

Alex Angeles is not in the line-up. He is playing for Magnolia in the PBL.
Canlas, on the other hand, is side-lined due to a shoulder injury.

5FootCarrot
02-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Hey Carrot, welcome to Gameface! We welcome the popular and pretty moderator of atenista.net to our playground. Feel free to share and exchange your views regarding local hardcore hoops.
Aw, shucks. ;D I don't know about "popular," hehehe ::) ...but the "pretty" I'll take :D

Thanks for the advance posting of the article. I was unable to watch the game, so all eyewitness accounts thereof are very much welcome.

Out_Of_The_Blue
02-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Nice to see former bedans Yuri Escueta, Mike Baldos, Jeff De Guzman, Ronnie Bughao, and Coach Jamike singing the Bedan hymn with the rest of the Beda Players.

See the pictures below the article posted in the FMC webpage.

Mhel_Garrido
03-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Congratulations to Ateneo and SBC for a well fought finals. It is so nice to relive one of the best rivalries in philippine amateur basketball. Congrats to Coach Koy for assembling a fighting Beda squad. Good luck to your team and hope you make it all the way sa NCAA. Our STI team learned a lot from the lessons that all the FMC teams gave us. We do hope that we can translate all of these learnings into gems come april for the FMC and more importantly this coming July for the 6th NAASCU season.

See you guys in April, we promise to give all FMC teams a good fight!

atlas
03-09-2006, 08:35 PM
STI College Olympians is definitely the team to watch in the coming FMC.

gameface_one
08-07-2006, 01:52 PM
This thread is now LOCKED.