PDA

View Full Version : UAAP/NCAA Jr Divsions - Prognosis for Next Season

gameface_one
11-04-2005, 07:37 AM
Equally interesting is the on-going recruitment and try-outs happening in the Junior Division.

Who do you think will go to which team? Who are the kids to watch? Who are the teams to watch?

Post them up here.

jancarlo
11-05-2005, 01:34 PM
As for UAAP, FEU-FERN will be the top seed. They have no graduating players due to the fact that some of their officials ask their players to repeat so most of them are in the junior year. Next would be the Dynasty of Ateneo again. They will have a taller line-up that this year next year. As for the 3rd spot, it might be UST since they also have only 2 graduating players. Adamson or UPIS might get the fourth spot.

gameface_one
11-05-2005, 01:56 PM
jancarlo, welcome to gameface.ph.

Kindly share with us the latest developments in the blue eaglets' camp. Who's the hottest new recruits? Will Gian Chiu come back?

bchoter
11-07-2005, 07:58 PM
With the not so smooth departure of Koy Banal from FEU, I doubt if he'll let his boys stay in FEU-FERN beyond this school year. And if they leave FEU-FERN, it unlikely that they'll move to a UAAP school and be subject to residency. Malamang they're off to SBC.

BLUE HORSE
11-08-2005, 05:39 AM
jancarlo, welcome to gameface.ph.

Kindly share with us the latest developments in the blue eaglets' camp. Who's the hottest new recruits? Will Gian Chiu come back?

Even if Gian Chiu returns to Manila at the end of the school year, he will have to sit out his senior year of high school for residency. I think the family took this into consideration when they accepted the scholarship from the private school in California.

A number of PAYA and Passarelle players who have been waiting patiently in the wings will make the team. My concern is Bacon Austria. Will his dad, Leo, transfer him to Adamson for his last year of high school now that he will be coaching the San Marcelino school?

Mateen Cleaves
11-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Doubtful that Coach Leo will transfer his kid. He'd probably want him for his senior's squad in 2007. But for 2006, where Bacon plays will have no impact on Coach Leo's program anyway.

jancarlo
11-16-2005, 07:05 PM
No. Bacon said to me that his dad wants him to study in Ateneo.

Anyways, Blue Eaglets next year will be a quicker and taller batch than this year. My fellow sophomores are I think the tallest batch in the High School right now. Some of them lang are Basketball Players. Most of them are Volleyball, Badminton, Lawn Tennis and Table Tennis players. However, my batchmates are all good ballers. :)

Frank Golla (6'2), 14 years old, will be a good addition to the team as well as Tim Chua (6'1), 15 years old. Marco Gancayco (5'10), who started dunking when we were in the 5th Grade, is also a good player whom we can add into the team. Other promising sophomores are EJ Valera (5'9) who is a quick and good defender, plays point guard and Paolo Rabat (5'10), who also is a good defender for a forward.

I hope the Blue Eaglets Dynasty will be back. Hehe.

gameface_one
11-16-2005, 10:01 PM

Anyways, Blue Eaglets next year will be a quicker and taller batch than this year. My fellow sophomores are I think the tallest batch in the High School right now. Some of them lang are Basketball Players. Most of them are Volleyball, Badminton, Lawn Tennis and Table Tennis players. However, my batchmates are all good ballers. :)

Frank Golla (6'2), 14 years old, will be a good addition to the team as well as Tim Chua (6'1), 15 years old. Marco Gancayco (5'10), who started dunking when we were in the 5th Grade, is also a good player whom we can add into the team. Other promising sophomores are EJ Valera (5'9) who is a quick and good defender, plays point guard and Paolo Rabat (5'10), who also is a good defender for a forward.

Is Chuckie Dumrique already in High School?

AnthonyServinio
01-25-2006, 03:00 PM
THE defending champion De La Salle-Zobel Junior Archers will lose eight Seniors, leaving six players to defend the crown in UAAP 69.

Going are Mythical Five member Simon Atkins, team captain Dan Salvador, Martin Reyes, David Urra, Miguel de Asis, Manoj Chandumal, Joshua Teodosio and Melvin Sun.

Left to man the fort will be incomng Seniors Michael Fernandez, Gianfranco Espina, Aldo Malixi, Enzo Tumlos and incoming Juniors David Webb and Colin Buckley.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Even if Zobel loses 8 seniors, I think coach Boris has prepared for all of this, may mga recruits na rin siya for sure to replace those 8 but then Zobel will still have a hard time defending their juniors title. Ateneo will be there as always as top contenders but I don't know about UPIS.

As for the NCAA, wala pa bang news kung babalik ang Mapua?

Gil_Andrews
01-26-2006, 07:16 PM
THE defending champion De La Salle-Zobel Junior Archers will lose eight Seniors, leaving six players to defend the crown in UAAP 69.

Going are Mythical Five member Simon Atkins, team captain Dan Salvador, Martin Reyes, David Urra, Miguel de Asis, Manoj Chandumal, Joshua Teodosio and Melvin Sun.

Left to man the fort will be incomng Seniors Michael Fernandez, Gianfranco Espina, Aldo Malixi, Enzo Tumlos and incoming Juniors David Webb and Colin Buckley.

Any news where they are heading?

jancarlo
01-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Even if Zobel loses 8 seniors, I think coach Boris has prepared for all of this, may mga recruits na rin siya for sure to replace those 8 but then Zobel will still have a hard time defending their juniors title. Ateneo will be there as always as top contenders but I don't know about UPIS.

Santo Tomas Tiger Cubs and Adamson Baby Falcons are teams to watch out for. Adamson almost made it in the Final Four next season and they will only lose like 2-3 players likewise with Santo Tomas. I don't know about UPIS.

BLUE HORSE
01-27-2006, 12:01 AM
Gil,

It has been mentioned in Peyups.com that Salvador, de Asis and Reyes made the tryout cut at UP. *Not sure if they will all make varsity but Reyes may be the outside shooter coach Lipa is looking for. *Atkins apparently has not tried out but there is an open invitation. *Did Atkins go ahead and take the ACET as previously mentioned in other foras?

bigfreeze_bibby
01-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Gil,

It has been mentioned in Peyups.com that Salvador, de Asis and Reyes made the tryout cut at UP. *Not sure if they will all make varsity but Reyes may be the outside shooter coach Lipa is looking for. *Atkins apparently has not tried out but there is an open invitation. *Did Atkins go ahead and take the ACET as previously mentioned in other foras?

Martin Reyes is one kid that I would like to develop later on. Sayang and La Salle didn't make any interest in getting this kid. It's quite obvious na si Atkins lang talaga gusto nila. For me Reyes can be a Wesley Gonzales clone someday. Great outside shooting and can play defense with those long arms, okay din laterals niya as fas as defensive movement is concerned, and okay yung height niya for his position. Napunta kasi lahat ng attention kay Simon but I can't blame the Archers' coaching staff for putting Simon on the map since Ty is graduating already and wala pang backup PG.

De Asis is quite undersized for his position pagdating sa senior's level as well as Salvador.

Gil_Andrews
03-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Thought of bumping this thread up because of the Junior Teams' competition in the Homegrown Cup. Looks like all 6 participating teams will feature A players with San Beda as the heavy favorites. At last, we will get a glimpse of Revilla. Will he really be the next LA Tenorio?

CM_Punk
03-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Any word on UPIS as well? I know that Marfori, Maniego, and some of the guards are graduating, so I'm curious to know if they have any new recruits from Claret, Ateneo, or wherever. I hope their VAAS style program continues to produce good recruits such as Maui Villanueva, JM Aranas, and the M & M boys.

BLUE HORSE
03-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Call it revenge of Ato Badolato! LSGH was blind sided when Revilla transferred from LSGH to SBC. The boy was part of the champion grade school team of LSGH and their pg of the future. Balita ko, import nila from Bacolod and dismayado ang mga Greenies when it happened.

I understand Ateneo also blindsided LSGH for one of their GS stars. The blame is being heaped on MVP. :P We'll have to wait for 2 more seasons before the boy plays for AHS.

jancarlo
03-24-2006, 03:18 AM
Sana lang nagcocontribute yung bata. Ang nangyayari kasi mas nalalagpasan pa siya ng mga Grade 5 or Grade 4 na teammates niya. Nung una, maganda-ganda ang performance niya pero ngayon parang sinasadya niya yata na maging mahina.

DLSZ won't be suspended na nga pala so they will be back to defend their title next year. :)

mysteryman007
03-24-2006, 06:08 AM
Although San Beda is favorite to win the Homegrown Cup, dapat maging cautious sila kasi hindi biro yung competition na to. ndyan ang final four ng UAAP last season- Ateneo, UPIS, LSGH, FEU-FERN. LSGH nga pla was not the one in UAAP pero balita ko mas malakas pa raw sila sa DLSZobel. it's rare to see such competition na ndun yung top basketball teams ng high school. from what i heard pa, ang top prize ng liga is P80,000 tpos and runner up is P40,000.

Bka nga mas intense pa yung action dito sa Homegrown Cup kesa sa UAAP/NCAA kasi you're talking of 6 best school in high school.

LION
03-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Although San Beda is favorite to win the Homegrown Cup, dapat maging cautious sila kasi hindi biro yung competition na to. ndyan ang final four ng UAAP last season- Ateneo, UPIS, LSGH, FEU-FERN. LSGH nga pla was not the one in UAAP pero balita ko mas malakas pa raw sila sa DLSZobel. it's rare to see such competition na ndun yung top basketball teams ng high school. from what i heard pa, ang top prize ng liga is P80,000 tpos and runner up is P40,000.

Bka nga mas intense pa yung action dito sa Homegrown Cup kesa sa UAAP/NCAA kasi you're talking of 6 best school in high school.

__________________________________________________ _____

Mysteryman,

Agree with you that San Beda, as always, will be the favorite to win this tournament.

The final four teams of the UAAP are indeed strong, but competition being more intense kesa sa UAAP/NCAA? At this point, I think that the tournament will be intense only if San Beda's opponents include San Sebastian, PCU and Letran, all NCAA teams.

There was this game last year when San Beda's Team B won by a very big margin against Ateneo's Team A. There was this game this year when San Beda's Team A (runner up only in the NCAA) toyed with the UAAP champs DSZ. My take is that even the 3rd or 4th best NCAA team will handily beat UAAP champs DSZ and even LSG.

However, the chances of the UAAP teams are now a lot higher. The top guns of San Beda, e.g., Herminda, Victorino, Guillermo, etc., will no longer play. Even then, San Beda remains to be very strong. Same with Letran. Usually, when San Beda joins a tournament outside the NCAA, the only thing that remains unknown is whether San Beda will sweep or not.

All the other teams really want to beat San Beda. Beating San Beda gives them a different kind of high. it is a lot better than winning the championship!

PEACE!

bigfreeze_bibby
03-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Sana lang nagcocontribute yung bata. Ang nangyayari kasi mas nalalagpasan pa siya ng mga Grade 5 or Grade 4 na teammates niya. Nung una, maganda-ganda ang performance niya pero ngayon parang sinasadya niya yata na maging mahina.

Are you referring to Kiefer Ravena on this one?

jancarlo
03-24-2006, 12:54 PM
^Yeah. Lately he's not performing well because of math daw. I hope makapag-adjust na siya sa Ateneo para next year he won't have a problem in balancing studies and sport. :)

Ang astig nga ng Homegrown cup kasi halos lahat ng players ng Ateneo, La Salle at San Beda nagchampion na sa MILO Passerelle and sila-sila rin ang napunta sa Finals. San Beda (na ang kalaban ay Ateneo) nung 2003, Ateneo (na kalaban ay LSGH) nung 2004 at LSGH (na kalaban ay Ateneo) nung 2005. But of course, San Beda's favored in this one because of Coach Ato Badolato's system.

oca
03-25-2006, 03:56 PM

__________________________________________________ _____

Mysteryman,

Agree with you that San Beda, as always, will be the favorite to win this tournament.*

The final four teams of the UAAP are indeed strong, but competition being more intense kesa sa UAAP/NCAA?* At this point, I think that the tournament will be intense only if San Beda's opponents include San Sebastian, PCU and Letran, all NCAA teams.

There was this game last year when San Beda's* Team B won by a very big margin against Ateneo's Team A.* There was this game this year when San Beda's Team A (runner up only in the NCAA) toyed with the UAAP champs DSZ.* *My take is that even the 3rd or 4th best NCAA team will handily beat UAAP champs DSZ and even LSG.

However, the chances of the UAAP teams are now a lot higher. The top guns of San Beda, e.g., Herminda, Victorino, Guillermo, etc., will no longer play. Even then, San Beda remains to be very strong. Same with Letran.* Usually, when San Beda joins a tournament outside the NCAA, the only thing that remains unknown* is whether San Beda will sweep or not.

All the other teams really want to beat San Beda. Beating San Beda gives them a different kind of high. it is a lot better than winning the championship!

PEACE!

I agree that, currently, NCAA junior squads are collectively more stronger than UAAP teams. Many are not aware of this and for those who know, many are puzzled.

The UAAP champion DLSZ cant even beat NCAA third placer PCU-Union, as seen in the last Nat'l Students C'ship.

But I disagree on the point that UAAP teams have better chances now against the NCAA, particularly San Beda.

In the last Nat'l Students C'ship, Coach Ato fielded 4 underclassmen in OT to beat a virtual HS powerhouse in San Sebastian. The Staglets had 10 HS seniors to rotate, pero tinalo parin ng 4 underclassmen + 1 seniors sa OT ng C'ship game. I say that was a clear indicator that San Beda's domination will continue.

While other schools are still shortlisting their candidates for next school year, this early San Beda Red Cubs is fine tuning its team for Season 82.

jancarlo
03-25-2006, 11:51 PM
San Beda won over Ateneo by 8 points only.

Since, as many said here, San Beda's the best, I guess Ateneo's hungry for their 15th Crown in the UAAP Junior's Basketball (24th Crown if NCAA Junior Championships will be added) after ranking #1 in the eliminations with a 12-2 card but losing twice in the Final Four by 34 UPIS.

I hope there will be somebody here who can give details about the game. :)

mysteryman007
03-27-2006, 07:18 AM
LA-Salle Greenhills won over the Letran Squires 68-65. La Salle's main man Salva had an ankle sprain early in the third quarter and didnt play the remaining minutes but still they won the game. i havent said this league is superior to this league, the point is, it's anybody's tournament with san beda leading the charge. but they have to be cautious.

LION
03-27-2006, 07:47 AM
LA-Salle Greenhills won over the Letran Squires 68-65. La Salle's main man Salva had an ankle sprain early in the third quarter and didnt play the remaining minutes but still they won the game. i havent said this league is superior to this league, the point is, it's anybody's tournament with san beda leading the charge. but they have to be cautious.

Don't worry Mysteryman, nobody quoted you saying that this league (Homegrown Cup) is a superior league. I did not veer away from your statement that this league is more intense than NCAA/UAAP. Check my earlier post please.

Agree with you, our team should be cautious.

Enough said.

mysteryman007
03-27-2006, 05:08 PM
ya, enough said. let's all watch and enjoy the games at Homegrown Cup.

pulang leon
03-27-2006, 06:09 PM

La Salle Greenhills is DLSU-St. Benilde's junior's team right? and DLSU-Taft's junior's team is La Salle Zobel right? Since the DLSU-Taft's alumni were playing, I thought La Salle Zobel's team would be playing for the DLSU system's juniors team in this tournament... I mean I was hoping too since La Salle Zobel is the current UAAP juniors champion right? is it because greenhills's team is stronger than zobel's? doesn't matter i guess, but i'm just wondering, have these two teams met recently? which team won or which team is actually stronger?

pio_valenz
03-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Any word on UPIS as well? I know that Marfori, Maniego, and some of the guards are graduating, so I'm curious to know if they have any new recruits from Claret, Ateneo, or wherever. I hope their VAAS style program continues to produce good recruits such as Maui Villanueva, JM Aranas, and the M & M boys.

UPIS has also benefitted from Lipa's return to UP. The seniors training regimen that Lipa has employed has also been adopted by UPIS. Look for Jabby Bautista to be one of the top two or three point guards in the juniors division this coming season. There are also a couple of very tall - but still raw - recruits, but I'm not sure if they'll be suiting up just yet. I'm talking in the vicinity of six-four up - and still growing!

venom
03-28-2006, 05:35 AM

Chuckie's incoming grade 7 and will be playing for the Paserelle team. And yes, watchout for this kid

venom
03-28-2006, 05:47 AM

UPIS has also benefitted from Lipa's return to UP. The seniors training regimen that Lipa has employed has also been adopted by UPIS. Look for Jabby Bautista to be one of the top two or three point guards in the juniors division this coming season. There are also a couple of very tall - but still raw - recruits, but I'm not sure if they'll be suiting up just yet. I'm talking in the vicinity of six-four up - and still growing!

I've seen those kids and they are big. Problem is there are VAAS issues that need to be resolved before these kids could play. Sayang itong mga ito.

jancarlo
03-28-2006, 09:08 AM

Chuckie's incoming grade 7 and will be playing for the Paserelle team. And yes, watchout for this kid

Yeah. He is the MVP of SBP in last year's Paserelle. :)

venom
03-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Jancarlo, the MVP of the 2005 Paserelle was Mathew Sia out of LSGH. In 2004, Chuckie Dumrique won the MVP title sa SBP while his older brother JV won the MVP for the Paserelle edition. 2004 was the best showing of the eaglets in the Milo tournaments as ateneo won both the SBP and Paserelle divisions against LSGH. Add to that the outstanding performance of the Dumrique brothers which earned them MVP titles in their respective divisions.

jancarlo
03-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Hehe. Actually what I meant was last school year. Sorry for not being specific. :)

LION
04-03-2006, 04:39 PM
My own crystal ball says that the San Beda Red Cubs will reclaim the NCAA Juniors crown and Dave Marcelo will be the NCAA Juniors MVP.

franz888
04-03-2006, 05:25 PM
I have to agree that SBC Red Cubs is the team to beat this coming season. They have a very deep bench with some new talented recruits led by Revilla and Lanete. Focus will be on Dave Marcelo, I also believe that this kid will win it all next season. Basketball analysts call this kid the young Benjie Paras!

Howard the Duck
04-22-2006, 01:05 AM
Is it me or was it that the NCAA Juniors teams were better than their UAAP counterparts last year?

oca
04-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Is it me or was it that the NCAA Juniors teams were better than their UAAP counterparts last year?

UAAP champion DLSZ cannot even beat NCAA 3rd placer PCU-Union.

Pana-panahon lang dapat yan.

But the NCAA Junior teams are COLLECTIVELY BETTER than their UAAP counterparts. Yan ang hindi nababago.

Wala pa nga ang Mapua Junior team ngayon. Isa pa yang perennial contender. They'll be back in school year 2007-2008, according to one report I read. Then, mas lalakas pa ang team roster ng NCAA Jrs.

MonL
04-23-2006, 10:42 AM

UAAP champion DLSZ cannot even beat NCAA 3rd placer PCU-Union.

Pana-panahon lang dapat yan.

But the NCAA Junior teams are COLLECTIVELY BETTER than their UAAP counterparts. Yan ang hindi nababago.

Wala pa nga ang Mapua Junior team ngayon. Isa pa yang perennial contender. They'll be back in school year 2007-2008, according to one report I read. Then, mas lalakas pa ang team roster ng NCAA Jrs.

...And the NCAA juniors ranks wil be raided by UAAP teams once more. And the year after that, and the year after that.... what else is new? If a junior player from the UAAP joins an NC Seniors team, THAT's news.... :)

Howard the Duck
04-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Now if Juniors (UAAP/NCAA) games would be televised that'll be great!
Although I think that the NU Bullpups can beat the UPHSD Altalettes lol