PDA

View Full Version : SBC vs. Ateneo match

razor
10-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Got a text from Coach Koy Banal, which was addressed to the Bedan community:

Coack Koy and Norman Black have agreed to SBC-Ateneo best of 3 match.

First 2 games will be home and away format. Deciding match, if needed, will be on a neutral venue.

Other details, I think, will be ironed out later.

I guess Ateneo fans will also be interested with this news.

Gil_Andrews
10-24-2005, 11:48 PM
We'll check this out.

This will be an exciting 3 game series. When will this be?

cackler
10-25-2005, 12:05 AM
Hey, very, very interesting. How will the match ups be?

I guess we will have to put Macky on Tirona and Bughao on Escobal. Pao can match up with Micah Evangelista. Can Jai contain Padilla?

JC can try on Burtscher, Jobe on Al Jamal, Doug on Sam Ekwe, Martin on Taganas, Japeth Aguilar on Eric Suguitan. Who will guard Pappy Galinato or Ken Barracoso? Who will guard Menor? Who will guard Rabeh Al Hussaini?

Wow! What do you think, Bedans? Who do you think you should line-up to match with Ateneo?

Agent 008
10-25-2005, 01:30 PM
This will be a great series. Hope we can get the dates and venues soon. Whatever happens, I hope the two schools come out giving their best but still respecting each other. Bilib ako sa mga Red Lions. Gustong-gusto ko ang Indian cheer ng Beda.

chba_dude
10-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Indian Yell po. Hehe.

I think the Japeth vs Sam will be more interesting than a Suguitan or Doug... :D

Sir Cackler, tell me who Ateneo would lineup, and i'll match up my team with yours.. :)

Wala pa official word when eh. Nag-text brigade lang si Koy about this sa mga kilala niya na Bedans. But I'm sure he will get enough support to make this happen.

Inform lang ako an hour before, dadating ako before opening tip ng game na to eh. :D

bchoter
10-26-2005, 02:16 PM
I think Ekwe is better matched up against Kramer because both play the "bruiser" part while Japeth and Eric are more of the finesse types. I hope Michael Galinato will be in game shape by that time. How about a battle of marquee players in Intal vs. Menor pwede kaya even if they play different positions?

chba_dude
10-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Ekwe vs Japeth will be more interesting to watch personally. Coz they both will have the ability to swat each other's shots. Doug will be overpowered by Ekwe. Atleast Japeth can "outjump" Ekwe for the block.

My opinion.

Gil_Andrews
10-26-2005, 02:26 PM
How about the match-up of the former Mapuans: Aguilar and Galinato? I can already hear the trash talking:

Aguilar: Sabi ko na sa yo, dapat sumama ka sa akin e.

Galinato: Di ko naman alam na aalis din ako sa La Salle.

Aguilar Buti rin at umalis ka don.

Galinato: Bakit?

Aguilar: Kung hindi e baka hindi ka rin makapaglaro ng 3 taon.

Galinato: Sa totoo lang, idol ko talaga si Ford Arao kaya parati rin akong nakanganga pag naglalaro. E hindi ko na siya puede sundan sa Ateneo kaya at least e naging Bedista rin ako tulad niya.

Aguilar: Bakit nga ba hindi ka dumiretso ng Ateneo o San Beda after ng High School?

Galinato: May aral-aral pa kasi e. Di kagaya sa La Salle, PEP lang ok na. 3 yrs warranty pa ang biniigay sa akin.

Wait.....joke lang ito ha!

chba_dude
10-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Hahahaha... That was hilarious..

Actually Beda is now meticulously checking the academic records of Galinato. Mahirap na, baka mabulilyaso pa ang title hunt namin next year.

That would also be an interesting match-up. Although it would only serve as verification that Ateneo went after the better former Red Robin.

Gil_Andrews
10-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Hahahaha... That was hilarious..

Actually Beda is now meticulously checking the academic records of Galinato. Mahirap na, baka mabulilyaso pa ang title hunt namin next year.

That would also be an interesting match-up. Although it would only serve as verification that Ateneo went after the better former Red Robin.

chba, actually during their stint with Mapua, Galinato was far more polished center than Japeth. It was Norman Black's training that really hastened his devleopment.

chba_dude
10-26-2005, 03:00 PM
During their time in Mapua, Galinato was the better player. But Aguilar was potentially a better player. You can't teach the hops Aguilar has.

Added sidelight: Menor and Taganas played against Aguilar and Galinato in the NCAA juniors in their junior year, where they outrebounded the MApua duo.. Sayang kasi 3 (Menor, Taganas, Galinato) against 1 (Japeth) ang former juniors frontline matchup na ito if ever..

Not sure also if there are remnants of the juniors team sa Red Lions na nakalaban nila JC (Letran Squires) then..

Gil_Andrews
10-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Another match-up to watch is Rabeh Al-Husseini against Taganas/Menor or Galinato. Remember in the last unigames, Rabeh (then with the PCU jr dolphins) played very well in the finals against the red cubs - even getting the Finals MVP award. It could be a scheme of revenge for the Red lions.

OT: What's with Bacolod City that Rabeh always plays well whenever he's there? For 4 consecutive games now, rabeh is leading the team in all stats - both in points and in rebounds.

chief
10-27-2005, 09:29 AM
^ It seems Ateneo will be pulling another rabbit out of the hat. He'll be a surprise for next year's UAAP games, a very big surprise.

Agent 008
10-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Yo Chief!

Who is this big rabbit for ADMU? Will he be eligible to play in season 69 or is residency necessary? I'm guessing it's someone with a foreign name.

chief
10-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Yo Chief!

Who is this big rabbit for ADMU? Will he be eligible to play in season 69 or is residency necessary? I'm guessing it's someone with a foreign name.

He's the guy with the big afro in this year's lineup for ADMU. He's the half brother of Carlo Sharma. Name is Rabeh Al-Hussein, played for PCU high.

Agent 008
10-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks Chief! Looking forward to his exploits next year.

Sam Miguel
10-27-2005, 06:31 PM
I just hope players who ar already enrolled, regardless of residency status, will be allowed to play in this series. I believe for as long as a player was already on the 2005 NCAA or UAAP lineup of either school, or are currently enrolled in each school, they should be allowed to play in this series.

SAN BEDA

Pong Escobal
Jover Padilla
Myka Evangelista
Sam Ekwe
Mike Galinato
Michael Butscher
Toto Taupa
Eric Suguitan
Yussif Al Jamal
Jerome Paterno
Ogie Menor
JR Taganas
Kevin Espinosa
Ed Canlas

ATENEO

LA Tenorio
Ronnie Bughao
Macky Escalona
Yuri Escueta
Ken Barracoso
Zion Laterre
Mark Intal
JC Intal
Doug Kramer
Johann Uichico
Chester Chavez
Jobe Nkemakolam
Japeth Aguilar
Rabeh Al Hussaini

I would love to see these matchups:

Tenorio / Bughao vs Escobal / Espinosa
Ekwe / Al Jammal / Paterno vs JC Intal / Aguilar / Nkemakolam

boredtoday
10-27-2005, 08:24 PM
ano, game na to!

umpa! umpa! umpa! umpa! :D

kamusta mga pards :waves at everyone:

easter
10-28-2005, 10:12 AM
This is gonna ba good!!!

While they're at it maybe a series between Letran vs. DLSU will be good as well.

Gil_Andrews
10-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Paayos nyo na muna siguro sa La Salle problema nila para walang magprotesta ng game in the end. ;)

sometimes salvatio
10-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Any updates on this? Kelan most probably ang sked ng games? Dapat linggo ah!

chba_dude
10-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Actually feasibility pa lang ng dual meet na ito ang discussion...

The main question here ay kung may rubber match at a neutral venue (ULTRA), mapupuno ba?

Wala pang date... Pinagu-usapan pa..

Wang-Bu
10-31-2005, 05:44 PM

The main question here ay kung may rubber match at a neutral venue (ULTRA), mapupuno ba?

Huwag na kayong mag-isip ng venue for a Game 3, guranteed naman hindi aabot ang Ateneo sa Game 3.

O, o, baka mamaya may magalit na naman sa aking mga Atenista diyan ha.

Tignan na lang natin ang matchups. Hindi na mapagmamalaki ng Ateneo na may size advantage sila, kasi may Ekwe, Sugitan at Taupa ang Beda, ang dalawang totoy na Aguilar at Al-Hussaini lang ang kaya ng Ateneo. May 6'6" na Michael Butscher ang Beda na may tira sa labas at matalinong gumalaw, malambot man ito, sino bang tigasin ng Ateneo, si Martin Quimson? Ex-choos me... Nariyan man ang LA at Bughao pwera lang kung tig-isang bola sila tancha ko hindi magkakasundo sa court ang dalawang player na parehong pareho: they need the ball in their hands 90% of the time para maging effective. Walang post game ang Ateneo, pero may Al-Jammal at Paterno ang Beda. Kahit saan tignan malabo pa sa dinuguan ng Ilokano na umabot ng Game 3 ang Ateneo sa ganitong matchup.

chief
11-02-2005, 05:58 PM
^ Baka on paper malakas ang Beda, pero as I always say. Bilog po ang bola, anything can happen.

souljah_boy
11-03-2005, 12:54 PM
I prefer the post Season 81 lineup of San Beda and the post Season 68 lineup of Ateneo. Why? First off, this is for the development of the players of both squads. Then, though may mga scouts na siguro, play possible Team A's of both teams for the coming UAAP and NCAA seasons. Competitive team versus competitive team. Mas competitive, mas masaya ang laro. The fiercer, the better.

BLUE HORSE
11-04-2005, 12:16 AM

Huwag na kayong mag-isip ng venue for a Game 3, guranteed naman hindi aabot ang Ateneo sa Game 3.

O, o, baka mamaya may magalit na naman sa aking mga Atenista diyan ha.

Tignan na lang natin ang matchups. Hindi na mapagmamalaki ng Ateneo na may size advantage sila, kasi may Ekwe, Sugitan at Taupa ang Beda, ang dalawang totoy na Aguilar at Al-Hussaini lang ang kaya ng Ateneo. May 6'6" na Michael Butscher ang Beda na may tira sa labas at matalinong gumalaw, malambot man ito, sino bang tigasin ng Ateneo, si Martin Quimson? Ex-choos me... Nariyan man ang LA at Bughao pwera lang kung tig-isang bola sila tancha ko hindi magkakasundo sa court ang dalawang player na parehong pareho: they need the ball in their hands 90% of the time para maging effective. Walang post game ang Ateneo, pero may Al-Jammal at Paterno ang Beda. Kahit saan tignan malabo pa sa dinuguan ng Ilokano na umabot ng Game 3 ang Ateneo sa ganitong matchup.*

Wang-Bu,

You may have a point on the supposed match-up but here is the rub. SBC team B which had Ekwe, Taupa, Galinato, Sugitan, Butscher and the kid from Davao tasted defeat in the FMC II cup at the hands of Team Glory Be. A much shorter team led by former Bedan, Bughao, outplayed Beda.

chba_dude
11-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Can I make excuses for Beda that game?* ;D

That was only Ekwe's second game.. And his game has developed a lot compared to how he played that game. The key play in that game was a Du Canlas trifecta that was nullified when Ekwe thought it was an alley-oop. Offensive goaltending. And a technical foul for hanging on to the rim. A five-point swing that pretty much led to the Ateneo win.

Plus Escobal went down with the cramps in that game.

From a basketball standpoint, the reason why the Blue Eagles won that game was their physical, in-your-face defense. Ateneo used a crippling press which has traditionally been a Beda weakness.. Bughao made mincemeat of the younger Beda guards in defense and offense when Escobal got cramps, getting crucial steals that sealed the win.. Veteran smarts.. Hehe..

Nevertheless, a win is a win..

Still hoping the full 3-game series between SBC and ADMU goes as planned..

Out_Of_The_Blue
11-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Chba,

Heard that San Beda alumni members met today to discuss the possibility of holding the series. Any update?

RLdiehard
11-05-2005, 02:09 PM
The initial meeting regarding the proposed SAN BEDA-ATENEO dual meet w/c was sponsored by the newly formed SAN BEDA BOOSTER CLUB (SBBC) was held yesterday afternoon at PIER 1-Ortigas. In attendance were a number of SBBC members w/c includes PCGG Commisioner Nick Conti, the coaching staff headed by Coach Koy, a resident student who is also part of the prestigous school paper "The Bedan", Luis Carlo San Juan aka KETCUP, the popular leisure columnist of THE PHIL. STAR & the ever reliable Bedan sports writer Anthony Servinio.

Here are the proposals/suggestions of the San Beda side, to wit:

- Best of three series.

- Playing dates are Dec 4 (1st game), Dec 11 (2nd game) & Dec 18 (3rd game, if necessary).

- Home and Away type. It was suggested that the 1st game be held at San Beda's St. Placid Sports Complex, 2nd
game at Ateneo's Loyola gym & if there is a rubber match, at a neutral ground to be decided by both schools.

-The Basketball dual meet will include both schools' SBP Passarelle Team, since they faced in this yr's. MILO BEST
championship & the Red Cubs & Blue Eaglets, since they are both the no. 1 team in this year's NCAA & UAAP jr.
division, although ironically both failed to get the crown.

- Game time sked. 1pm (SBP), 230pm (jrs), 4pm (srs).

- Both teams are required to bring their pep squad, players & coaching staff must wear their regular
uniforms & all the prospective players to be lined up for next year's season will be committed to play.

From my information Coach Koy will relay these things to Coach Norman asap. Immediate concern also is to meet SBC's counterpart on the Ateneo side. I was told that there was a suggestion, if possible, for Mike Advani, the Red Lion's team manager to meet Paolo Trillo, his counterpart, to discuss and settle important matters regarding this event.

gameface_one
11-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Thanks RLdiehard.

Tell your fellow bedans that we will be very much willing to help you promote this series in any way. Tell us how we can be of help to drum this up.

cackler
11-05-2005, 02:57 PM
O, Matchup Na:

ATENEO:

Center:* Kramer (6'4 1/2"), Quimson (6'4 1/2"), Al Husainni (6'7")

Power Forward:* Aguilar (6'8"), Nkmekolam (6'3"), Zion Latere (6'2")

Small Forward: Intal (6'4 1/2"), Barracoso (6'2 1/2")

Shooting Guard: Bughao (5'11"), Tiu (5'11"), __________ (6'2")

Point Guard:* Escalona (5'8"), Reyes (5'7"), Escueta (5'9")

SAN BEDA:

Center: Ekwe (6'8"), Galinato (6'5"), Suguitan (6'7")

Power Forward:* Al Jamal (6'3"), Taganas (6'2")

Small Forward:* Taupa (6'3 1/2"), Butscher (6'5"), _____________ (___)

Shooting Guard: Menor (6' 2 1/2"), Espinosa (5'10"), Evangelista (5'9")

Point Guard:* Escobal (5'11"), Tirona (5'9"), Padilla (5'7")

I hope I have the heights and postitions of the players right.* Of course, in actual game time, posiitons are interchanged, depending on the obvious mismatch.

I feel team cohesion will be the key.* Koy Banal will come out with basic triangle plays and man to man defense.* Ateneo will try to come out quick on transition.* I feel San Beda will have an advantage inside but Ateneo will have an advantage on slashing plays.* The perimeter games of both sides will cancel each other out with a shootout between __________, Tiu, Bughao and Reyes for Ateneo vs. Padilla, Escobal, Menor and Butscher for San Beda.

For me, I still do not see a Sam Ekwe and Japeth Aguilar going toe to toe.* I feel Kramer or Rabeh will be assigned to Ekwe.* Zion Latere wil probably guard Menor while Ken will probably guard Escobal.* Intal will have an advantage for his position but San Beda will have an advanatge on the offensive board.

Ateneo will win if it could run.* San Beda will win if it could consistently get the ball to their post.* San Beda will outcheer Ateneo, of course.* I actually agree with wangbu: San Beda in two games or Ateneo in three.

chba_dude
11-06-2005, 12:13 AM
I missed going to that meeting because of a prior commitment. Should have been there.

It should be interesting to see who that blank in the Ateneo lineup represents. Obviously top secret. Hehe.

I'm wondering also what the blank on the Beda side is. Baka sadyang iniwan lang ni Cackler for us to fill in the blanks. Or there is a player I don't know na maglalaro for us.

You missed atleast three players that I can recall who should be in our lineup. Angeles, our starting point the past season, who is now playing for Magnolia in the PBL.. Gamalinda, who started at small forward, the recent Adidas Streetball Asia MVP.. Tecson, also a member of the Streetball champions..

Espinosa, Evangelista and Padilla might be the ones who might be displaced if a 12 man roster will be utilized.. Also, Evangelista (i think) is still undegoing therapy for a fractured right shoulder that caused him to miss the FMC II finals..

I think this will be a game of who controls tempo.. If the game speeds up, Ateneo will have the advantage.. If it slows down, San Beda will have the upperhand..

San Beda will dominate the paint, offensively and defensively (points in the paint, rebounds, blocks).. Ateneo will have the advantage in fastbreak points (also probably steals, assists)..

The game will hinge on one thing: Ateneo effectively employing the press.. Always has been a Beda weakness.. A less talented but a gutsier Lyceum squad nearly beat the Red Lions in the FMC II finals.. Using what? 45 (overtime game) minutes of hellacious full-court press D..

Beda in 2 or 3..

Also fearless forecast: Cubs over Eaglets in the juniors.. In 2..

I did not see our SBP and the Ateneo team play yet.. So I can't give a fair assessment on that game..

Lastly, (in the third game, if it happens) Bedans will outnumber Ateneans in the stands.. But I don't see Beda outcheering Ateneo.. Unless a miracle happens..

cackler
11-06-2005, 03:01 PM
chba_dude:

The blank space for Ateneo is a shooter we are keeping under wraps.* The blank space for Beda would be whoever player you would want to put in.* I am not that familiar with all the Beda players.* As you see, I even forgot about Tirona, who is one heck of a point guard and also Angeles who is a reliable outside gunner.

On the matchups, I feel that Japeth will play Ekwe from the top of the key.* While Ekwe reminds me of a larger version of Cardona, his laterals are still not as developed.* Japeth will still have a quicker first step.* I also don't think Butscher is as quick as Intal either.* I also think Quimson or Kramer can box out Suguitan from his comfort zone.* The post plays of Aljamal will create problems for us but we will also have the post plays of Jobe creating problems for you.

I have seen a lot of the Beda plays and I know you guys are fantastic zone breakers.* We will probably go man to man with you during the last quarter.* You are also right about the tempo.* Ateneo would play it quick with you guys.* You may want to go zone against us and it usually works.* I have seen Koy fake a man to man then suddenly go to a zone.

When push comes to shove, you will have Escobal, Menor, and Aljamal as the guys who can take over the game.* On our side, we will have Bughao, Intal, and Kramer . . . errrr . . . mostly Bughao who would want to take over the game.

At any rate, any way you look at the game, it will be one fantastic match with all the side stories.* Our hecklers will be there and so will your guys.* The refs, either way, will have an earful of "@#$% INA MO!" from either side.* Jobe and Sam will probably speak Nigerian, Kramer will roll his British accent and Butscher will have some Swiss trash spread around.* Chirs Tiu will do a Frenchie "parle vous siko khou" and Angeles will not take it sitting down.* Tirona will probably claim he is cuter than Jai.* The fan gurls will also be there as both teams have a surplus of tisoys and gwapings.* More screaming will surely ensue with the gym resounding with shrill decibels.

Still.* Don't forget, I watched so many of your games.* I suspect, with the Bedan hunger for a crown, your crowd will outcheer us.* I just hope you bring out the "Little Injuns" so younger Ateneans will have a taste of how it was like before.*

That's just me: excited and believing the Ateneo - San Beda rivalry is so much more fun and is really on a different level.

chba_dude
11-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Actually you didn't forget to include Tirona.. ;D

And also don't forget the other players talking trash in different dialects..

Anybody can beat Ekwe off the dribble.. Mahina pa talaga laterals eh.. Yun nga lang, you can't discount the fact that due to his length and size, he can actually still recover and disturb shots kahit makalagpas na kalaban.. But if Ekwe stays inside the paint, under the rim, paambon-ambon lang ang points in the paint ng Eagles. Lalo pa if we utilize the big frontline like nun sa FMC II..

If Butscher defends Intal 1 on 1, Intal will burn him alive..

Favorite ko yan si Quimson.. Scrappy.. Does the dirty work.. He will have some effect in minimizing my expected Beda dominance in the rebounding department..

Rest assured, if the game is close in the waning moments of the game, you will have someone who wants the ball, who wants to shoot.. Actually he would want it probably the whole game.. Believe me, I know.. ;D

Ang labanan nito sa tingin ko ay hindi sa cheering, sa jeering.. Hehe.. Grade-A hecklers kayo eh.. Hopefully though, being in a game so rich in tradition, the game will bring out the best in us.. Cheering-wise.. Malaki na pinagkaiba ng Beda cheering from your time and now.. This dual meet just might be the step in the right direction to bring us back to the glory days. Well at least to the time when Ateneo and Beda were two of the best in cheering and school spirit..

That is the real reason why I want this game to happen.. To show the younger generations what Beda Cheering is and should be all about.. Give our school spirit a big shot in the arm..

Btw, Sir cackler, tabi-tabi tayo nila sometimes salvation nito ah.. Sa lahat ng games, sa lahat ng venue.. Hehe..

Gil_Andrews
11-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Good insights. Can't contribute much yet coz I haven't seen a Beda game this year. Will try to get some glimpses at practise sessions. he he he.

Chba, I suggest that we have a mini-eyeball before the start of the event. We will get organized from our end. Will the beda group be open to this?

chba_dude
11-06-2005, 10:04 PM
wanna do it tomorrow? promenade starbucks siguro.. il contact cackler, to disseminate the information..

Gil_Andrews
11-06-2005, 10:29 PM
chba, cack and I are texting each other now. Siguro Tuesday nite na lang somewhere in Ortigas.

oca
11-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Can I make excuses for Beda that game?* ;D

That was only Ekwe's second game.. And his game has developed a lot compared to how he played that game. The key play in that game was a Du Canlas trifecta that was nullified when Ekwe thought it was an alley-oop. Offensive goaltending. And a technical foul for hanging on to the rim. A five-point swing that pretty much led to the Ateneo win.

Plus Escobal went down with the cramps in that game.

From a basketball standpoint, the reason why the Blue Eagles won that game was their physical, in-your-face defense. Ateneo used a crippling press which has traditionally been a Beda weakness.. Bughao made mincemeat of the younger Beda guards in defense and offense when Escobal got cramps, getting crucial steals that sealed the win.. Veteran smarts.. Hehe..

Nevertheless, a win is a win..

Still hoping the full 3-game series between SBC and ADMU goes as planned..

Saw this game FMC Div 2 game.

I thought Coach Roque made a blunder of keeping Escobal too long on the bench in the 4th quarter. He was fielded back with about 2 minutes remaining in regulation, maybe less. By that time Ateneo had the momemtum.

Until you posted that it was due to cramps, I had attributed the defeat to the "coach's blunder".

But yes, Sam Ekwe has improved a lot since that game.

chief
11-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Umpisahan na natin ang boksing! Yung mga injuns ang problem... Let's see if we can make headway in taytay, I personally had problems teaching our Indians the moves in one full month before the opening... less, when it's opening game, marami pang natatakot sa crowd... probably overwhelming ang Araneta for them...

Anyway, this will be a good game, I think Intal will try to dominate this game early, I think kahit sino sa Beda ang itapat nila we won't have an answer for him, unless of course 1. malas siya, 2. his head is not in the game.

Gil_Andrews
11-08-2005, 10:49 AM
chba/chief,

We bumped into Coach Norman this morning and briefly discussed this project. We will update you in our meeting later.

Gil_Andrews
11-08-2005, 10:24 PM
chba/RLdiehard,

It was nice meeting both of you. Hope we could iron all the procedural challenges out and make this event possible.

Details will be announced as soon as we get everything finalized.

chba_dude
11-09-2005, 12:25 AM
Likewise Gil_Andrews..

A nice evening of talking about hoops.. Plus some nostalgic inputs on the fabled Beda-Ateneo rivalry.. I was never able to experience it.. Yet.. Kaya the staging of this event will be a dream come true for me..

Til the next meetings..

canmaker
11-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Langya, GIL A, para ka nang Bobong Velez niyan aaahhhh ....

Gil_Andrews
11-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Langya, GIL A, para ka nang Bobong Velez niyan aaahhhh ....

Di naman Canmaker. Instruments lang kami dito na puede gamitin kahit sino. :)

bchoter
11-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Puwede bang maki-miron?

Agent 008
11-09-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm excited to attend these games. Do you have tentative dates already?

Wang-Bu
11-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Exhibition series naman ito, baka pwedeng paglaruin ang dalawang headcoaches...

Gil_Andrews
11-09-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm excited to attend these games. Do you have tentative dates already?

Nothing's definite yet but we are looking at end of December or January.

chba_dude
11-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Unless of course, MVP says we do it tomorrow.. ;D

chba_dude
11-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Exhibition series naman ito, baka pwedeng paglaruin ang dalawang headcoaches...

Lugi kami.. ;D

cackler
11-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Puwede bang maki-miron?

Ikaw pa!* Syempre naman.

In fact, everybody should watch.* Grabe ang mga match-up:

Ekwe vs. Japeth on shotblocking
Aljamal vs. Jobe on low post plays
Angeles vs. Tiu on three point shooting
Taganas vs. Quimson on inside hustle
Menor vs. Barracoso on slashing plays

and

Escobal vs Bughao on who gets to hold the ball longer.

chba_dude
11-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Fearless forecast: Bughao will win the last matchup.. Hehehe..

Gil_Andrews
11-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Ekwe vs. Jobe on who is the more articulate Nigerian :D

chba_dude
11-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Articulate in which language?

bchoter
11-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Puwede bang maki-miron?

Ikaw pa!* Syempre naman.

In fact, everybody should watch.* Grabe ang mga match-up:

Ekwe vs. Japeth on shotblocking
Aljamal vs. Jobe on low post plays
Angeles vs. Tiu on three point shooting
Taganas vs. Quimson on inside hustle
Menor vs. Barracoso on slashing plays

and

Escobal vs Bughao on who gets to hold the ball longer.
Salamas, as usual.

Bakit nga pala wala si JC sa match-ups? Wala talagang ka-match?

OT: Kilala ko na si Chx and he is not from Cagayan. Sweet din kaya siya?

sometimes salvatio
11-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Bakit nga pala wala si JC sa match-ups? Wala talagang ka-match?

Pwede i-match-up si Intal kay Taupa. Pataasan tumalon.

chba_dude
11-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Slam Dunk contest na lang si JC at si Taupa.. Watchuthink?

chba_dude
11-16-2005, 02:21 AM
Update:

1st game - December 10
2nd game - December 17

Game venue and time to be announced later.

Just got this text earlier this evening. Hope it pushes thru as announced.

Agent 008
11-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Chba_dude...thank you very much for the update.

I read in today's paper that there might be an Ateneo-Lasalle Battle of the Best (alumni athletes to present) on December 8. I think LA, JC, Doug and a couple more from the current UAAP team will join this one. My hunch is conditioning isn't as good as it was during the season. I wonder how they will fare in the SBC-ADMU game 1.

canmaker
11-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Agent,

4 college players will reinforce the ateneo vets in the pba: LA, JC, Doug, and japeth. La salle will also have 4 players from Taft. I think these are Yeo, Cabatu, Arana, and Maierhofer.

Agent 008
11-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks Canmaker..then I guess the 4 eagles will be a little tired when they suit up for the SBC game. I thought Cardona was playing too??

bchoter
11-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Thanks Canmaker..then I guess the 4 eagles will be a little tired when they suit up for the SBC game. I thought Cardona was playing too??

Since when was he a college stude? :D

I also noticed that canmaker didn't identify those kids as college reinforcements. I think this was not an oversight on his part :D

Biro lang po

canmaker
11-17-2005, 08:44 AM
SHARP ka talaga, bchoter ... I was trying hard not to bash .... Hehehehe ....

RLdiehard
11-20-2005, 07:08 PM
According to my very reliable source the tentative game time for the 2 games of the San Beda-Ateneo dual meet is 7pm & game 1 on Dec 10 will be played at San Beda gym & game 2 on Dec 17 at the Ateneo gym.

gameface_one
11-20-2005, 10:31 PM
RLdiehard,

When you say Ateneo gym, are you pertaining to the Blue Eagle Gym or the Moro Lorenzo Sports Complex?

bugoy_king
11-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Siguro sa Blue Eagle Gym iyan, kaunti lang makakanood kung sa Moro yung laro eh.

MargaretThrasher
11-25-2005, 12:58 PM
..then I guess the 4 eagles will be a little tired when they suit up for the SBC game.
I hope that the Blue Eagles stayed more or less in shape so that they would still be able to play well even on just one day's rest, the way they did last UAAP season.

Agent 008
11-25-2005, 04:06 PM
I hopes so too Margaret Trasher...but experience points to the opposite. Off-season slacking does kick in whether we like it or not.

RLdiehard
11-27-2005, 03:47 PM
SAN BEDA - ATENEO Home & Away Dual Meet confirmed sked., 1st game: Dec 10, 7 pm at San Beda & 2nd game: Dec 17, 7 pm at Ateneo. GO SAN BEDA FIGHT! - ONE BIG FIGHT!

Gil_Andrews
12-01-2005, 01:15 AM
Hope to see a sea of red and blue fill-up the venues for this - even if they are just exhibition games.

Agent 008
12-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Fantastic. How do we secure tickets to both games?

Out_Of_The_Blue
12-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Agent, this is open to the public. Ateneans will wear blue and Bedans Red. We will also get the Babble to cheer. The bedans muster cheering support as well.

Wang-Bu
12-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Beda in two, by an average of 8-12 points per game... O huwag magalit ha, tancha ko lang, antagal ko ng nanonood ng basketball, tancha ko lang ito...

RLdiehard
12-03-2005, 01:49 AM
Well for me if both the Red Lions & the Blue Eagles would take the game seriously, w/c I believe they will, & would field their possible line-up for next year NCAA & UAAP season, it will be so hard to predict the outcome of the game. This is because basically both teams have similar positive attributes in almost all aspect of its squad. Both teams coach are good, set of players to be paraded are excellent & most of all both teams 6th man are very passionate. GO SAN BEDA FIGHT! ONE BIG FIGHT!

Out_Of_The_Blue
12-04-2005, 09:17 PM
RLdiehard, I don't think what we will see on Dec. 10 will be Ateneo's line-up for next season. We will finalize the line-up by May or June pa next year but most probably we will be fielding in the favorites and front runners for next year's lline-up.

RLdiehard
12-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the info. Out Of The Blue. But we hope Blue Eagles' favorite players & frontliners, like Intal, Aguilar & others, will play in the dual meet. On the otherhand, according to my reliable source Red Lions PBL veterans Aljamal & Alex Angeles are included in San Beda's line-up.

Out_Of_The_Blue
12-04-2005, 10:31 PM
RLdiehard,

We will try our best to come up with a competitive team. The team is really exhausted from joining the different tournaments. We also want the ex-cubs and ex-lion(s) players to play for sentimental reasons.

MargaretThrasher
12-06-2005, 10:29 AM
So who will be playing for both sides?

souljah_boy
12-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Will MVP watch both games? What color will he wear? Will he cheer both schools? If that happens, won't he be doubly tired by game's end?

ANIMO!!!

RLdiehard
12-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Here is the line-up of the RED LIONS in the dual-meet, to wit:
GUARD
Angeles (5'10), Canlas (5'10), Escobal (6'0), Tirona (5'9)
S/FORWARD
Burtscher (6'5), Castillo (6'2), Espinosa (6'3), *Gamalinda (6'3), Menor (6'2), *Tecson (6'1)
P/FORWARD
Aljamal (6'3), Antonio (6'4), *Taganas (6'2), Taupa (6'4)
CENTER
Ekwe (6'8), Galinato (6'5), Saguitan (6'7), Sarangay (6'5)

* Will not be able to play in the 1st game because of their US/NBA tour sponsored by Adidas as part of their Asian Street Ball championship prize. But they are sure to play at the Ateneo gym.

Out_Of_The_Blue
12-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks RLdiehard.

Find below our OFFICIAL line-up:

GUARDS: Ronnie Bughao (5'10"), Paolo Dizon (5'7"), Macky Escalona (5'9"), Eman Nazareno (5'9"), Jai Reyes
(5'7")

FORWARDS: Ken Barracoso (6'3"), JC Intal (6'4"), Mark Intal (6'2"), Zion Laterre (6'3"), Jobe Nkemakolam (6'4"),
Doug Kramer (6'4")

CENTERS: Japeth Aguilar (6'8"), Rabeh Al-Husseini (6'7"), Martin Quimson (6'4")

Specifc player match-ups can now be discussed.

cackler
12-07-2005, 11:22 AM
If the Beda Starting five would be:

Point Guard: Escobal (6'0")
Shooting Guard: Angeles (5' 10")
Small Forward: Butscher (6'5")
Power Forward: Aljamal (6'3")
Center: Ekwe (6'8")

Ateneo may counter with a starting five of:

Point Guard: Escalona (5'9")
Shooting Guard: Reyes (5'7")
Small Forward: Intal (6'4")
Power Forward: Aguilar (6'8")
Center: Kramer (6'4")

San Beda usually starts its game probing the interior. That is why slashers like Gamalinda get the bulk of their points in the first quarter. The ploy is also designed to get opposing teams in early foul trouble. For Saturday, Ateneo will have more guards but San Beda will have more big men as Al Hussaini is a doubtful starter (sprained last Saturday in UST game; FMC III). Hmmmm.

Ateneo will have the initial advantage in the wings but Beda has learned to clamp down during the last quarter. This is where Escobal takes charge on offense and Ekwe on defense. Ateneo will probably assign Nazareno against Escobal and Aguilar will start working on Ekwe.

It would be an exciting last quarter and the key would be how the first half would be played. Bets are San Beda would win because they prepared harder. Last Saturday during the FMC game between UST and Ateneo, somebody was videotaping the game. I asked if it was for FEU. The guy videotaping said it was for Koy. Hmmm.

Kid Cubao
12-07-2005, 11:26 AM
tingin ko ang mananalo rito yung mas mataas ang score.

anyway, the key here in this dream match is how they will exploit their game strengths. the last time the two teams met was at the 2005 vector cup, in which pong escobal of the red lions won the MVP trophy against the likes of ronnie bughao at daroya of lyceum.

ateneo will try to exploit its running game, while san beda will do all it can to make it a halfcourt game and harness its perceived edge off the offensive boards. aspiring benedictine monk samuel ekwe is a raw prospect, but ateneo must watch out for his wiry strength (he can move bodies) and athleticism. his long arms are adept in changing the trajectories of many a shot attempt. however, it's suguitan, a former UE player, who's the shotblocking threat. mike galinato is as surly as ever.

key matchups:

ronnie bughao vs pong escobal--edge goes to bughao. nuff said

mike buettscher vs JC intal--if mike finds his range, JC will be in for a long night. still, the greater likelihood is JC getting his way, so edge goes to JC, if only slightly

samuel ekwe vs marty quimson/doug kramer--dead even

ogie menor vs ken barracoso--edge goes to menor because of his broader offensive repertoire. for his part, though, ken b. is a vastly underrated defender

yousif al-jamal vs zion laterre--PBL experience has made al-jamal a more rounded player in both offense and defense. however, zion has shown he can deliver in the clutch on a number of occasions, so i think this is going to be quite interesting. still i give the edge to al-jamal for his exposure to stronger competition, but who knows, bilog ang mundo.

skip
12-07-2005, 11:46 AM
go san beda fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lahat ng matchup magaganda poitguard to center bakbakan yan.
sayang wala na si l.a. sa lineup.

drive drop pass drive drop pass drive drop pass drive drop pass drive drop pass drive drop pass drive drop pass

chba_dude
12-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Matchup analysis time... Gameface on* ;D

Bughao vs Escobal --- advantage to Bughao... In shot attempts... The amount of time they handle the ball would be the interesting stat here.. That should pretty much be even..

Butscher vs Intal --- definite advantage for JC.. Only thing Butscher has on Intal is height and more range.. But this might not be the matchup.. Butscher might not have enough minutes to match Intal's.. Maybe in the first game with the absence of Gamalinda.. But I see Gamalinda vs Intal as a better matchup..

Gamalinda vs Intal --- Gamalinda will make Intal work on defense and offense.. He can match the mobility of Intal.. Or at least lead him into the paint where the Beda skyline awaits.. Gamalinda is a better all-around player than Butscher, but JC will be the best all-around small forward in this dual meet.. Menor included..

Ekwe vs Quimson/Kramer --- Except for points, this should be a STATISTICAL dead-heat... Kramer could possibly outscore Ekwe on his own, although I'm not sure how he'll do it without LA around.. But impact-wise, Ekwe will hands-down win this matchup. Anything Ekwe does, drives the San Beda gallery wild.. If Ekwe keeps out of foul trouble, the Ateneo frontline will have nightmares until Christmas..

Ekwe vs Aguilar/Al-Husseini --- can anybody say BLOCK party?! can be a DUNK party too..

Ekwe vs Nkemakolam --- kabitan lang natin sila ng mic habang naglalaro at makinig tayo sa kanila.. Seriously, Jobe just might be the only Blue Eagle who can effectively score against Ekwe in the post.. He has a wide array of moves inside the paint that just might make Ekwe work harder for his blocks.. Mahirap daanin sa talon si Ekwe, mas malaki at mataas tumalon eh.. Utakan lang.. Jobe has enough smarts to score against Ekwe in the post..

Menor vs Barracoso/Laterre --- These two former juniors MVPs(?) will be better off playing with than against each other.. One can take care of the offense, the other can take care of the defense.. I think you guys know which is which.. Also Laterre will also be a good matchup versus Menor.. Menor will dominate these two offensively, but at least one of them will post better numbers in other stats.

Aljamal vs Aguilar (?) --- I see no matchup for Aljamal except for the projected starting power forward spot for both teams. Aguilar will surely have more defensive efficiency because of his height, but this will be an interesting matchup in the battle of the boards. Aguilar will grab a couple of rebounds due to sheer height and superior athleticism, but Aljamal will school him on how to rebound effectivley and efficiently. Japeth can learn a thing or two from the undersized Aljamal, who is an excellent rebounder, both defensively and offensively.. Btw, Aljamal has a decent midrange (that sometimes even stretches to the three point area) shot that may draw Aguilar outside the paint and leave the Ateneo interior with a little more space for Red Lion intrusions..

Angeles/Tirona vs Escalona/Reyes --- this will be a battle of the fan girls.. kidding.. Angeles and Escalona are the guards with the most experience here.. Their ability to control their respective teams will be a major factor in this dual meet.. Tirona, in my opinion, is the best San Beda on-ball defender in the perimeter and serves as the catalyst of the San Beda pressure defense and running game.. This is the same role that Escalona plays in the Ateneo side of the fence (well, at least in my opinion).. Angeles and Reyes will be the two top long-range gunners for both teams.. If the inside players of both teams negate each other, three point shooting will be key in this game..

Aguilar/Al-Husseini vs Galinato/Sarangay --- the Ateneo duo will say nothing but "I told you so" the whole game.. By the way, Rabeh is reportedly nursing an ankle injury, Galinato is nursing a calf injury.. But apparently both will be playing..

Menor/Taganas vs Aguilar/Galinato/Al-Husseini/Sarangay --- Menor and Taganas dominated the Mapua tandem of Aguilar/Galinato and the PCU Al-Husseini/Sarangay during their respective stints in the NCAA Juniors division.. Wala lang.. gusto ko lang i-share..

SBCA/Red Army vs Blue Babble (plus the grade-A hecklers) --- this Saturday, it will be San Beda quantity over Ateneo quality... but unless some miracle happens, it will be an Ateneo show next weekend, quantity plus quality..

Important point to be noted is the absence of the Adidas streetballers Gamalinda, Taganas and Tecson in the first game.. This should work to the advantage of the Blue Eagles.. If the Red Lions win this Saturday with an undermanned lineup, expect a sweep next week..

bchoter
12-07-2005, 01:48 PM
I still feel that ADMU has an edge with JC Intal and with them having played together far longer compared to the Red Lions. But the Red Lions will try to play up their advantage with their more boisterous gallery.

dead.duck.walking
12-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Ekwe vs Quimson/Kramer --- Except for points, this should be a STATISTICAL dead-heat... Kramer could possibly outscore Ekwe on his own, although I'm not sure how he'll do it without LA around.. But impact-wise, Ekwe will hands-down win this matchup. Anything Ekwe does, drives the San Beda gallery wild.. If Ekwe keeps out of foul trouble, the Ateneo frontline will have nightmares until Christmas..

oops correction "Ekwe vs. Quimson AND Kramer"

samuel ekwe vs marty quimson/doug kramer--dead even

dead even??? para mo na ring sinabi na Shaq O' Neal* vs. Andrew Bynum -- dead even ....

ilang blocks kaya gagawin ni Nigerian Dunk'in priest???....*

Sam Miguel
12-07-2005, 05:51 PM
This will be an interesting game of matchups, very key since the teams play very similar styles, except perhaps on transition where Ateneo is the faster team getting down the court, a testament to the conditioning of the players more strictly instituted by Norman Black.

Ronnie Bughao will have to deal with Pong Escobal while Jai Reyes will match up against Miko (?) Tirona. Bughao's experience and superior athleticism will give him an edge over any Lion guarding him. The question remains: will he share the ball and will he run the offense or will he look to show up his former team like he did in their one and only match up in Ateneo's FMC 2 win. Reyes has the firepower over Tirona but Tirona has the edge as far as comfort at the backup 1 spot. Tirona might be the surprise package for Beda in the backcourt. How will he fare though against the in-your-jock defense of Carlo Medina and Pao Dizon?

At the swing spot, Ogie Menor will have to take his game up another level by being both an offensive option as well as a decoy. Menor has suspect defense and could get burned by Ken Barracoso especially on the backdoor. Bam Gamalinda is thus key for San Beda, with his size and versatility, ditto Kevin Espinosa. Beda's swingers have both inside and outside scoring abilities, plus strength and size. Zion Laterre has to put his UAAP experience to good use for the Ateneo perimeter to have a chance. Laterre's ace is his tough defense and ability to rebound from the 2/3 spot even against bigger players.

At the forward spots, Doug Kramer and Jobe Nkemakolam will have a very interesting matchup against Youssif Al Jammal, Eric Suguitan and Ton Antonio. Kramer and Nkemakolam have the edge as far as footwork but tend to hold on to the ball too long while deciding what to do with it. Al Jammal is almost automatic at the left box. It would have been good to put Jerome Paterno into this mix but apparently that is not in the works.

In the slot, Sam Ekwe will find out what its like facing somebody taller if leaner in Japeth Aguilar. Aguilar's game is far mroe polished than Ekwe's but Ekwe is heftier and stronger and could push Aguilar out of his comfort zones in the halfcourt. But is Ateneo goes to its fastbreaking game, no way is Ekwe going to keep up with Aguilar on the sprints. Aguilar's better instincts on defense and soft touch from 15-16 feet will also give Ekwe problems. Even Toto Taupa and Mike Galinato will have a tough time trying to contain Aguilar one-on-one. Backing up Aguilar is the venerable Martin Quimson, a hard-banging physical country club baller if nothing else. Quimson should give the heftier but slower Beda centers fits with his relentless rebounding and ability to seal off territory underneath.

One key matchup to watch out for is Michael Burtscher versus JC Intal. Intal may be the better athlete, but Burtscher is very talented and has the size to keep in step with the UAAP's own Rocket Man. Burtscher however better not dare Intal to shoot from the perimeter. UE found out how much of a pain Intal can be when he gets going from 20 feet out.

Macky Escalona will be the X factor here. No one seems too interested in LA Tenorio's career caddy, but Escalona has made a career of being a solid leader in off-UAAP tournaments, where his ugly but effective jumpshot, dribble penetration, ball distribution and moxie come to the fore. Another surprise off the Ateneo bench might be Eman Nazareno, the man who shut down UE hotshot Mark Borboran in off-UAAP tournaments last summer. Its too bad Myka Evangelista won't be around, he would've been a solid matchup for Escalona.

Then there are the usual questions:

1) Will Koy Banal go into his zone press early?

2) Will Norman Black maintain his double pointguard starting backcourt and who would these be?

3) Will Menor try to do too much?

4) Will Ronnie Bughao try to do too much as well?

5) Will Norman Black go to his halfcourt trap from the get-go?

6) Will this be a contest of containing the corner jumper on the motion?

One thing is for certain: sarap ng inuman after the game...

Gilligan's Malate tayo after the game!

Wang-Bu
12-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Sama ako sa toma Boss Sam.

Pero hindi ako sang-ayon sa sapantaha mo, kulang na lang sabihin mong mananalo ang Ateneo. I don't think so.

Sa tancha ko more or less even match-up naman ang dalawang teams as far as coaching, pero 'di hamak namang lamang sa personnel ang San Beda.

Kung parehong style ng teams ang mas lalamang ang mas gugustuhing manalo. Ewan ko lang pero parang antagal ko ng hindi maramdaman na ginusto ng Ateneo na manalo sa isang importanteng laban. Tignan niyo na lang ang ginawang gulpi ng Lasalle sa kanila. Nangyari 'yon hindi dahil mas malakas ang koponan ng Lasalle. Wika nga ng paborito kong coach, "Tang--- biruin mong manalo ka na ang sentro mo isang Junjun Cabatu lang, tapos papatay sa iyo isang Ryan Arana lang, o isang TY Tang, e kayang-kayang ikot-ikotan ng mga bata ni Balck ang mga 'yan. Ano nangyari, ba't olat? Kulang na kulang sa puso, andaling masindak..."

Hindi sa akin galing 'yan ha. Pero sabi ko nga, sa tagal kong nanonood ng basketball medyo tancha ko na kung sino mas sumeseryoso sa laro at sino ang naglalaro lang ng pawardi-wardi.

dead.duck.walking
12-07-2005, 07:12 PM
One thing is for certain: sarap ng inuman after the game...

Gilligan's Malate tayo after the game!

AMEN!!!

cackler
12-08-2005, 12:14 AM
Some last minute points:

It is interesting to note that Bedans Yuri Escueta and Mike Baldos are not in the line up of Ateneo.

The Bedan crowd will certainly be overwhelming this Saturday. Let's just hope Bughao will not try to do too much because of this.

If the game is physical and becomes a low scoring defensive game, the edge would go to Ateneo. Eman Nazareno, Pao Dizon, Macky Escalona, Zion Laterre, Martin Quimson and Doug Kramer are solid in-your-face-I-don't-care-how-your-armpit-smells defenders. Busted lips, elbowed cheeks, and bruised ribs are part of their uniform. They read positioning very well and are quick to anticipate.

On the other hand, Koy is good with the mismatch and is tricky with inside-outside plays. If Beda has toughend up on defense, then it will be a battle of the go-to guys. Ateneo will rely on Bughao, Escalona, and Intal while Beda will have Escobal, Menor, and Aljamal.

San Beda still needs time to practice with the Koy Banal system in its full potential. As it is, Ekwe is only strong going to his right. Escobal needs to jump and Menor needs to slide. Aljamal needs to get the pass in motion and not while sealing his man. He will have a hard time doing this against Kramer and Quimson. Jobe will be a decoy. Angeles has to get his outside stride going and will be put to task defending smaller but quicker guards. Tirona will have to learn to stop flopping against Jai Reyes. This does not work against the Jainamite as Reyes keeps the ball very close to his body. Speaking of dribbling, Burtscher has to learn not to dribble too wide. He also has to learn to have a higher loop and an apex release of his jumpshot specially if a tall leaper like JC Intal will defend him.

Of late, Beda has been able to go down quickly on defense. They will definitely need this against Ateneo. Ekwe and Taupa will have to run double time specially if it is Japeth and JC running on the break. All told and assuming both teams bring their A Game, I believe Ateneo will take Game 1 and San Beda will take Game 2.

I also think that, in both games, the boosters of Ateneo will eat more food while the boosters of San Beda will drink more beer.

sometimes salvatio
12-08-2005, 10:13 AM
See you guys on Saturday!!!

Cackler, i think the Boosters of Ateneo will eat more food AND drink more beer. Teka, may inuman nga ba tapos?

sometimes salvatio
12-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Dapat siguro tapos ng Ateneo-San Beda Dual Meet ay magkaroon ng Ateneo-San Beda Dual MEAT. chba_dude, kaya mo ba i-organize ito?

cackler
12-08-2005, 12:46 PM
sometimes_salvation:

Pwede 'yan. Kahit tag tatlong bote lang, basta kanya kanyang bayad.

Sal:

Ang lulupit ng mga "posters" ng game sa Bedista forum. Ang ganda siguro pag mukha ni Ekwe and Japeth magkatapat tapos may Lion at Eagle sa background. Hmmm.

chba_dude
12-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Sometimes_salvation:

Ang toma, hindi na kelangan i-organize.. Impromptu na lang yan..

Sir Cackler:

Ok yang poster idea na yan. Paano kaya magagawa yan?

Ang tingin ko naman ay the boosters of San Beda will eat more food while which boosters will drink more beer will be a toss-up.

sometimes salvatio
12-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Cackler & chba_dude,

Kayang gawan ng poster yan. All i need are donors of high-resolution pics.

Lamang siguro sa inuman ang matatalo.

chba_dude
12-08-2005, 03:27 PM
I think the gameface people have access to Ekwe's pics. Malamang pati kay Japeth.

Tingin ko manalo, matalo, mahabang inuman ang magkabilang kampo. Hehe.

Out_Of_The_Blue
12-09-2005, 01:30 AM
We received an offical word that there will be no 2nd game on the 17th.

The date for the second game (if ever there will be one) is still to be determined.

I therefore request all Blue and Red supporters to fill-up the SBC gym this coming Saturday!

This is a rare event that shouldn't be missed!

chba_dude
12-09-2005, 02:21 AM
We received an offical word that there will be no 2nd game on the 17th.

The date for the second game (if ever there will be one) is still to be determined.

I therefore request all Blue and Red supporters to fill-up the SBC gym this coming Saturday!

This is a rare event that shouldn't be missed!

HUUUWAAAT?!

Sayang naman.

Anyway, congrats with the win over DLSU All-Stars to my Ateneo sirs..

Since that is over and done with, TAYO na ulit! ;D

bchoter
12-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Jospeh Yeo just did ADMU a favor. Because of his (stoopid stooopid) act, JC, Doug, and Japeth will be well rested and raring to go at game time.

oca
12-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Nice to read those insights on possible matchups and what could probably decide the outcomes of these games.

To me here, these two games will be decided on REBOUNDING and BALL PROTECTION AT MIDCOURT.

Sa ganitong setting, ma-e-excite at kakabahan ang mga players. Not only because of the opposition, but also because of how the people at the stands would respond and interact during the game.

Also, this may be the first most exciting games for the mix Team A and B players. Hence we should expect maraming errors and missed shots rito. So who controls the boards will have more attempts and that's basically what basketball is all about - possession and putting the ball in the basket.

Expect both teams to press and force turnovers. He who turns over the ball more should be having a sad look on the face at the final buzzer.

But whatever be the final score, the manner these coming 2 games are played will set the tone for the growth of this series. One that both schools may look forward to year after year.

Ateneo should expect a warm welcome from the Red Army the moment it arrives at Mendiola. One befitting a worthy and respected ol' rival. But when the game starts, matinding labanan na yan. Not only on the court, but even from the stands.

Sana tuloy yung second game. Dahil kung gaano kainit ang pagtanggap ng Bedans sa kanilang bisita, sa 17th, tiyak di padadaig ang mga Agila. Bakbakan uli yan!

oca
12-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Jospeh Yeo just did ADMU a favor. Because of his (stoopid stooopid) act, JC, Doug, and Japeth will be well rested and raring to go at game time.

Bitin ang pakiramdam ng mga 'yan. Kaya tiyak looking forward sa laro yan bukas!

true.blue
12-09-2005, 01:38 PM
So gents, what's the best way to get to the SBC gym from the ortigas area?* If I bring my car, where do I park?

gameface_one
12-09-2005, 02:11 PM
True.Blue, welcome to gameface.ph.

If you know the way to Malacanang, then SBC is just a few meters away.

Take the San Juan Ortigas route. Left to Santolan going to SM Sta Mesa. Turn left to Ramon Magsaysay blvd and go straight to Recto/Malacanang. San Beda is just in front of CEU.

Maraming parking space if you're early.

RLdiehard
12-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Wala ng tulugan mga RED & BLUE, hehe.

GO SAN BEDA FIGHT! ONE BIG FIGHT!

chba_dude
12-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Konting tiis na lang..

atenean_blooded
12-09-2005, 10:22 PM
How do I get access to parking? And will my car be safe? Heard lots of stories about Mendiola.

bchoter
12-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Overtime sa labada ngayong gabi hanggang bukas ng umaga... baka sakaling makapag miron sa Menidola habang nagpapatuyo ng mga plantsahin.

RLdiehard
12-09-2005, 10:48 PM
I think San Beda Boosters already arranged parking space for Ateneans inside the San Beda campus with admin. through the alumni office. But I think it's limited only since parking space inside is not that many. So, perhaps better get there early to avail of such limited parking space. If you can't get inside you can park outside the campus. Don't worry about your cars because Mendiola is already well lighted, there are a lot of loyal watch your car boys to look after your car & carnappers will not dare to do their business there since the area is surrounded by PSG & PNP personnel, of course not to protect the parked cars, but to protect the entire vicinity of Malacanang against GMA bestfriends. HeHe. See you BLUE.

atenean_blooded
12-09-2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks a lot! :)

What time do you recommend I be there?

RLdiehard
12-09-2005, 11:20 PM
I was told that some of the Ateneo Boosters will be there by 6 pm, maybe around that time is a good time to go to San Beda.

atenean_blooded
12-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks.

Here's to a great game tomorrow!

ANIMO ATENEO!
ANIMO SAN BEDA!

chba_dude
12-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Congratulations to the Blue Eagles. Nice game.

jancarlo
12-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Nice game also Bedans!

Astig tayo! ;)

Go Ateneo, One Big Fight! Go San Beda Fight!

Out_Of_The_Blue
12-10-2005, 11:51 PM
chba_dude,

Thank you for the warm welcome and sumptuous dinner.

It was a quality game indeed. Both schools treated it as if it was an official NCAA/UAAP game. You could sense from Koy that he didn't want to lose as he vented shouts and emotions to his players. Same with Norman. He fought for every bad call that the refs made against ateneo.

In the end, both schools showed class by giving respect to each other. We cheered our hearts out and your school did the same too. At the end of the day, we gave each other the applause our schools both deserved. It was a sight to behold when both teams, coaches, and booster groups enjoyed the dinner together - exchanging laughs and stories.

The game was indeed for all of us who just simply love the collegiate brand of basketball and who simply have the passion to defend our alma mater to the end.

Hope to have more of this again in the near future.

allblue
12-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Great game by both teams!

Ateneo dominated the game in the first half, even enjoying an 18 point lead at the half. San Beda was quick to bounce back after the break. I am pretty sure they outscored Ateneo in the 3rd period. They led charge after charge and it paid off. Near the end of the fourth quarter, they tied the game. Free throws by Ronnie Bughao lifted Ateneo to a win. I think the final score was 82-75.

It's nice to watch games like this where no team wants to give up and both play with intensity but minus the unnecessary distractions. Laro lang. Great to see both galleries cheering passionately for their teams and then sincerely applauding each other when the game was over. It makes you remember why you enjoy this game so much. Thank you to the Bedans for the warm welcome. We look forward to seeing you in Katipunan for Game 2 soon.

ONE BIG FIGHT!

RLdiehard
12-11-2005, 01:39 AM
BLUE people thanks for a wonderful game. You really deserved to receive a warm welcome. We lost the match, but still I went home smiling, I'm sure you already know why. Ateneo is really a very worthy opponent My heart exclusively belong to SAN BEDA 1,000%, but if ever I'll be given another heart surely & no doubt Ateneo will be its franchise holder hehe. I can't wait for the 2nd game. Honestly, I was so electrified by the game, it was played with pure passion & school pride in short "talagang kinilabutan ako". I haven't experience this for such a long time I just hope this will be part of each school's tradition. See you at Katipunan.

GO SAN BEDA FIGHT!

jancarlo
12-11-2005, 02:15 AM
82-75 is the score in favor of Ateneo. But for me, the score doesn't even matter anymore. In fact, I even forgot the score when I was outside of the gym already. Anyway, It is the pride and honor that we had during the game. The game which reunited all Ateneans and Bedans. For me, it was not a match anymore but a reunion event. It is not a social event as what others as mentioned, but it truly expressed the spirit of both Ateneans and Bedans. It somewhat showed how both Ateneans and Bedans respect each other before, during and after a game. And for this, they will forever be CHAMPIONS.

Mga Atenista At Bedista, Mabuhay at Astig Tayo! ;)

Animo Ateneo! Animo San Beda!
One Big Fight! Go San Beda Fight!

Pale Rider
12-11-2005, 09:42 AM
I really hope the Bedans make it to the UAAP soon. Having such fierce competition between two incredibly CLASSY institutions will really make an impact when seen on a national stage. In today's basketball world of trash-talk, macho posturing, alpha male bullsh*t, we can show the entire collegiate basketball community just how this rivalry stuff is REALLY done. ;)

There's no way in hell I'm missing the second game. It would be great to return the favor to the Bedans by welcoming them to our home and once again giving them ONE BIG FIGHT. They deserve nothing less than our best, both on and off the court. :)

cackler
12-11-2005, 02:39 PM
EAGLES SCORE ONE IN THE LION’S DEN

By: Gameface.ph

The Ateneo Blue Eagles prevailed in the first of their goodwill games against long time rivals San Beda Red Lions with a score of 81 to 75 last December 10, 2005 at the St. Placid’s gym at Mendiola.* The Red Lions had the wings as with Menor booming triple after triple for a game high 20 points.* The absence of Taganas, however, was telling as the Eagles showed they had the paws with JC Intal clawing at the post to share top bill with 20 points of his own.* Sorely missing the services of Bam Gamalinda and Tecson, the Red Lions succumbed to further mismatches as the Eagles unleashed their running game to erect a daunting 18 point lead after the half.

First Quarter.* The Bedan first five of Menor, Escobal, Angeles, Ekwe, and Maggay took their positions to meet the Ateneo five of Aguilar, Kramer, Intal, Escalona and Bughao at center court.* Japeth Aguilar jumped higher but the tap landed in Bedan hands as Menor scoots down for a stop and pop to nail a jumper and draw first blood.* Ateneo counters with a drive and draws a Sam Ekwe foul to send Doug Kramer on the line, making half of his charities.* Macky Escalona then nails a fifteen footer but Sam Ekwe counters with a short stab.* Intal nails a jumper of his own but Ekwe again responds with a short drive.* Ron Bughao nails a three from right flank then Ogie Menor counters with a three of his own.* With barely four minutes of game time, Yousif Aljamal comes in for harder inside positioning.* This triggers a seven to two run for a 15 to 10 San Beda lead.* Ekwe is rested and Bughao and Kramer conspire to string four points.* Aljamal scores on the post and Tirona nails a three.* Ken Barracoso takes a drive to end the quarter with San Beda up, 25 to 22.

Second Quarter.* Menor had scored three triples in the first quarter and made two drives to score 13 of his game high 20 points on this first quarter alone.* The Ekwe flash to the right and the shooters positioning on the left became clear to Ateneo.* Adjustments were made for the second quarter.* The inside pass was not to be allowed and the switch had to be quick.* With Suguitan, Menor, Angeles, Canlas, and Aljamal starting in this quarter for San Beda, Ateneo knew it was time to run.* After a see-saw first four minutes and a deadlock at 34, Ateneo poured a 18 to 0 fast break attack to close the half with a score of 52 to 34.

The Blue Babble Batallion was first on the floor with their traditional cheers punctuated by Blue Eagle Spelling.* The Red Lions Pep Squad followed suit with an introductory cheer.* Then all rose as the crescendo of the Indian Yell rocked the gym.* The applause from each side was hearty in appreciation of the class.

Third Quarter.* Pong Escobal opens the quarter with a jumper and Sam Ekwe signals the rally with a dunk.* Aljamal and Menor also score to keep the pressure on.* The Red Lions dig their paws on the hard wood to buckle down on defense.* The Bedan gallery pumps up with rhythmic cheers of lions going for the kill.* All Ateneo sweet spots are covered and the Eagles could not take flight.* Menor, Aljamal, and Escobal attack inside for a 6 to 0 run.* Aguilar tightens the inside with a block but Aljamal takes the game outside with a three.* Two man plays are then directed by Ateneo resulting in a Jai Reyes three and a Rabeh Al Hussaini stab.* Taupa and Menor counter to close the gap at the end of the third with a score of 56 to 63, Ateneo up by seven.

Fourth Quarter.* JC Intal exploits the mismatch to repeatedly score.* Ogie Menor tries to claim the fourth as his quarter but his drives are stymied by repeated fouls.* All his fourth quarter points are earned at the stripe.* Angeles buries a three but Escalona responds stringing four points of his own.* Ekwe and Escobal team up high and low to score fourteen points and close the gap to a slim 73 to 76 Ateneo lead.* All 6’8 of Japeth Aguilar and all 6’4 1/2” JC Intal were then assigned to the perimeter to guard the three point shots while baiting an inside pass to Sam Ekwe, now being guarded by the 6’3’ Jobe Nkemekolam.* This final ploy worked as Escobal was hard pressed to drive and Menor was fully covered.* With less than half a minute remaining San Beda scores 2 and Ateneo makes 5, all on the foul line to end the match with a score of 75 to 81 for an Ateneo win.

“Great game, great game,” was the word as the fans mingled around after the match.* “The conditioning of Ateneo to be able to run that way was superior,” opined others.* Still, others lamented the absence of some key players when Coach Koy Banal groped for combinations during the second quarter.

The drizzle had stopped by now as hard court animosity gave way to off court camaraderie.* “When is the next game,” everybody was asking.* Answers were few and indecisive with organizers choosing to enjoy the sumptuous meal and the welcome hospitality of this evening in the Lions Den.

ATENEO (81)

JC Intal 20, Bughao 20, Escalona 12, Nkemakolam 8, Aguilar 6, Kramer 5, Baracoso 5, Reyes 3, Al-Hussaini 2, Dizon 0.

SAN BEDA (75)

Menor 20, Escobal 14, Ekwe 12, Aljamal 7, Angeles 5, Canlas 5, Maggay 4, Tirona 3, Taupa 3, Antonio 2, Galinato 0, Suguitan 0, Castillo 0, Espinosa 0, Alabanza 0, Burtscher 0, Sarangay 0.

Out_Of_The_Blue
12-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Cack,

We also didn't have Ford Arao and Martin Quimson last night.

cackler
12-11-2005, 04:56 PM
I heard that Quimson was sick. Ford Arao, as you know, is still recovering from his ACL. Zion Laterre was not used because he is resting in preparation for surgery. Rabeh Al Hussaini played even though his sprain was still swelling. I guess it was because he misses his old team mate Sarangay.

As to why Eman Nazareno was not fielded in, I can only surmise he was scouting for defensive purposes for the next time the two teams meet. The younger Intal was also not fielded in, again maybe because of the rotation.

I hope our Bedan friends forgive JC and Japeth for suiting up in their practice jerseys. Pinalabhan pa uniporme from the December 8 game.

The biggest winner of the game of course was Jobe Nkemekolam. He was not only able to practice Nigerian speak but, he was also able to bring home two statuesque lady friends. Inggit na inggit si Rabeh at Japeth. Talagang pinaka guwapo si Jobe sa Team. Doug, Eman, Jai, Macky, Martin, JC and Ken: Eat your hearts out!

Special thanks to RLDie Hard for calming the crowd when Bughao was taking his free shots. Belated Happy Birthday also to boredtoday. Thanks also to Anthony Servinio for the stats.

chba_dude
12-11-2005, 08:52 PM
We took no offense to the practice jerseys Sir cackler. Atleast me personally.

Thanks also to cackler for the game face shirt. Di ko lang kasi talaga masuot yesterday because I liked my Beda jersey better. At least I have a shirt to wear when I watch Ateneo games with sometimes_salvation.

Btw, I was kidding about ripping it in front of everbody.. ;D

easter
12-12-2005, 07:14 AM
I suggets in case San Beda gets a hard time getting into the UAAP we can do the following:

1. Make this an annual event. We call it something like "The Annual Ateneo-San Beda Classic" para mas formal ang dating.

2. This series will be a best of 3 affair.

3. Make a nice-looking, sturdy and well-crafted trophy. The trophy will be in the hands of the winner of the series. When the previous winner loses the series the following year, the team has got to hand the same trophy to the new victors. The winning team will get to keep the trophy for a year until the next series comes along.

4. Games will only be played on the schools gyms so either the BEG or the SBC Gym nowhere else.

5. Game 1 will be played on the gym of the trophy holder. If it comes to a Game 3, then it will still be played on the previous champion's turf.

6. Again fans will be limited to pure cheering, no heckling and other distracting stuff.

7. There should be a dinner hosted by the alumni after every game to foster camaraderie.

An annual event will be more special since hindi nakakasawa and both schools will look forward to it every year!

bchoter
12-12-2005, 10:57 AM
I thought it was a can't miss event but, unfortunately, traffic along C5 going towards Makati and Megamall spoiled our itended (me and a Bedan cousin and Atenean friend) Saturday night of fun.

Anyways, congratulations to you guys for coming up with this event. Obviously, it deserves a redux. And I will make sure, if labada and opisina permits, to be there to watch the game and claim my shirt from cackler.

Pare ko, thanks for the invite. I hope we, Thomasians, can capture the spirit and learn a thing or two about sportsmanship.

Agent 008
12-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Bchoter..I had the same problem. Traffic on a rainy weekend during Christmas Season is always one for the books.

You and I missed a great game but hearing about the hospitality put on by the Red Lions is cause enough for me to get over it and instead look forward to the next one. I pray this will come sooner rather than later.

To the Bedans in the group...thank you and congratulations. You have shown that rivarly means nothing without sportsmanship.

Blue Eagle and Red Lion events...always a class act.

Wang-Bu
12-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Kapag ginusto talaga nung JC Intal na maging dominating ibang klase talaga siya. Totoong ginawa siyang asintahan ni Ogie Menor pero grabe din ang ginawa ni Intal. Medyo maganda kamay ni Menor lalo sa labas, natututo na siyang pumukol and that will make it harder for NCAA opponents to guard him. Kaya nga lang napagsabihan siya ni Koy Banal, "Ogie CONTROL! Hindi ka naman si Joseph Yeo!" or something to that effect nung sumugod bigla sa depensa ng Ateneo si Menor at na-out of bounds ang bola. Si Intal naman grabeng open court player talaga. At 6'5" at sa lakas niyang lumundag, he could become better than Kenneth Duremdes, dahil ganun ang nakikita kong laro sa kanya ngayon. Duremdes is a better perimter shooter pero mas magaling din naman sa poste si Intal.

Ang problema lang niya mental, kailangan niyang magkakumpiyansa sa sarili na kaya niyang maging ganung kagaling every game. There are times na kapag na-frustrate na siya, lalo na kapag sumasablay ang jump shot niya, nasisira ng buong laro niya. Si Menor naman halatang hindi pa ganun ka-committed sa depensa, kung gaano karami na-score niya siya ding na-score ng bantay niyang si Intal sa kanya. Both of them had 20 points each. Pero tiwala naman akong matututo ding maging matinong defender si Menor under Koy Banal.

Si Burtscher kaya anong nangyari? Athletic shooter siya, may galaw, masipag namang mag-rebound, bakit kaya tila wala masyadong play para sa kanya at parang wala siya sa sarili nung laro? He got the ball in scoring position or at least pang-triple threat pero ni hindi yata siya tumira. Naka-at least tatlong breakaway si Intal nung siya ang nagbantay. In fact Intal's first dunk came off a picked pass that Burtscher lost, and he was not able to ercover quickly enough nung biglang kumarera si Intal pababa for the dunk.

Overall nahalata na medyo hilaw pang Beda as a team. Nandun ang talent, kita naman sa kilos at sa pagpapatakbo ng mga play nila. Pero nung nagpakita na ng veteran moves ang Ateneo, lalo sina Macky Escalona, Doug Kramer, Jobe Nkemakolam at Ken Barracoso, masyadong nahalata ang disparity sa talino ng beterano versus pure skill ng mga hindi pa nasalang sa barugan ng big time na college competition. Halata kay Pong Escobal na frustrated siya sa ginawang depensa ni Escalona sa kanya. Si Angeles din tila nagtaka pa nung biglang nakakita ng puwang si Escalona tapos all alone sa isang lay-up. Banas na banas si Banal kasi tila hindi nag-uusap sa court ang mga bata niya nung nakalibre si Escalona. Ang maganda nito may foundation na ang Beda. Bukod sa malalaki sila, madali namang natuto. Ibang-iba ng skill at kumpiyansa ng mga players nilang bago like Sam Ekwe, Eric Suguitan, at Toto Taupa. Konting pukpok pa handa ng makipagbasagan ng bituka.

bchoter
12-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Tutal maganda naman ang result ng game na ito, bakit kaya hindi nalang maging "sparring partners" ang ADMU at SBC? Pabor sa SBC ang setting na ito dahil marami silang matututunan sa mga beteranong naka bughao. Pro hindi rin ito balewala sa mga Agila dahil siguradong i-pu-push sila ng youth and ethleticism ng mga Leon.

On the contrary, wag nalang kaya?

chief
12-13-2005, 09:05 AM
This game proved that Pong Escobal was human afterall.... akala ko the next demigod of College Basketball... Actually the only demigod that I consider is Kenneth Duremdes, ikaw na ang mag-average ng 35+ ppg nung 2nd to the last year niya sa Adamson.... man he's a god... sa PBA, I think he's not his dominating self, dapat parang NBA superstar, night in and night out consistent ang production kahit malas.

Anyway, if Pong was frustrated in that game, then the defense against him was good, I wonder how he'd react to a more pesky defender in Boyet Bautista.... hmmm.... that would be an interesting match up.

atenista_comm
12-13-2005, 02:18 PM
What a game last Saturday!!!

Thank you, San Beda!!!

Go Ateneo!!! One Big Fight!!!

dead.duck.walking
12-13-2005, 06:18 PM
This game proved that Pong Escobal was human afterall.... akala ko the next demigod of College Basketball...

He could be the nxt demigod* if he (Escobal)* learn to PASS!!* He has the attitude of kobe b.

"THE BALL IS MINE ALL MINE........ hahahahahhaha" --kobe
"* "I'm not changing my game whatsoever," --kobe
"on an island by themselves."* --kobe

BabbleBand97
12-14-2005, 08:48 AM
great game by both teams!

pics of the game can be viewed at

http://www.fabilioh.com/index.php?cat=34

Gil_Andrews
12-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Received a text that San Beda won over UE 73 - 67 in their exhibition match early this morning. Can anybody confirm and give more details?

chba_dude
12-14-2005, 03:03 PM
San Beda won over UE this am in a tuneup game..

I'll post details within the day..

chba_dude
12-14-2005, 08:41 PM
San Beda versus University of the East
The UE Red Warriors started like a house on fire scoring the gameís first 7 points. Utilizing their vaunted press, they stormed to a 22-12 first quarter lead. Mark Borboran, Elmer Espiritu and Hans Thiele outmuscled and outhustled their Red Lions counterpart to lead the Warriors to the early lead.

They continued to outplay the Red Lions in the 2nd quarter, posting a 32-12 lead in the first few minutes of the 2nd quarter. Then the Red Lions went on a scoring rampage, outscoring the Red Warriors 24-8, led by Pong Escobal, to close the half only behind by 4, 40-36.

A heated argument between Coach Koy Banal and the referee nearly ended the game, as the referee threatened to walk out of the game. Cooler heads prevailed. Coach Banal was assessed a technical and play resumed. The quarter ended with UE still on top 51-48.

The Red Warriors tried its hardest to keep the Red Lions at bay in the early goings of the final canto, eventually relinquishing the lead at the 5:20 mark, 57-56 on two free throws by Ogie Menor. The Red Lions never looked back as Samuel Ekwe started to score down low and Pong Escobal provided some timely outside sniping, as the Red Lions pulled out a close one, 73-67.

Pong Escobal, spiked by 4 3-pointers, led the way for the Red Lions with a game-high 17 points. Three other Red Lions scored in double digits as Kris Taupa and Samuel Ekwe each scored 12 points and Ogie Menor added 10 to the San Beda cause. Martin Antonio also scored 8 points.

UE was led by Hans Thiele with 12 points, followed by Elmer Espiritu with 11 points, Borboranís 9 points and Labagalaís 4 points. Former Red Cub James Martinez failed to score.

Adidas Streetball Asian championship team members Bam Gamalinda, JR Tecson and JR Taganas failed to play as they only arrived this early morning from the USA. Youssif Aljamal and Marcy Arellano also did not play.

souljah_boy
12-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Hmmm...sana naman maayos ang nilaro nung UE although makikita naman sa first quarter ang ginawa ng Red Warriors sa lamang na 20 'di ba? With this, can we say na tsamba lang ang nilaro ng Red Lions o ipinakita talaga na pwede maging at par ang San Beda sa UAAP teams.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in the team pero it just surprised me that we won over a UAAP team. Sana tuloy tuloy na.

GO SAN BEDA FIGHT!

What the heck, they did a pretty good job anyway and it's a good thing that the team is cohesive.

RLdiehard
12-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Even if a match is only a tune-up game I'm sure every coach & team will take it seriously 'coz otherwise it will defeat its one primary purpose w/c is to gauge the strenght of the team.

The prospective line-up of the Red Lions for next year can beat any collegiate basketball team in the land anytime & anyday even teams in the UAAP. This should not sound to be "mayabang", but the same is factual as this can be shown from their recent records being the champion of the Fr Martins Cup 2, w/c they almost swept if not for the single lost to Ateneo. Also, in the on going Fr. Martins 3 Open Division they are carrying a clean slate at 4-0. So, Red Lions is really a force in college balls to reckon w/ at this time, but this should not be understood that they are dominating since there are still a lot to do ta achieve such status.

oca
12-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Hmmm...sana naman maayos ang nilaro nung UE although makikita naman sa first quarter ang ginawa ng Red Warriors sa lamang na 20 'di ba? With this, can we say na tsamba lang ang nilaro ng Red Lions o ipinakita talaga na pwede maging at par ang San Beda sa UAAP teams.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in the team pero it just surprised me that we won over a UAAP team. Sana tuloy tuloy na.

GO SAN BEDA FIGHT!

What the heck, they did a pretty good job anyway and it's a good thing that the team is cohesive.

As early as 3 years ago, I felt that with Cordero, Bombeo, Paterno and Hudencial, San Beda was ripe for the big time. Unfortunately their coaches then were not, IMO.

San Beda's resurgence is overdue. Long overdue.

Yes, I wasn't surprised they won over a UAAP team.

That defeat against Ateneo on Dec 10 ? Well, with no Gamalinda, Tecson and Taganas, against a top caliber team, mahirap manalo kahit kanino. But with their rotation intact, pupusta ako sa San Beda.

dead.duck.walking
12-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Then the Red Lions went on a scoring rampage, outscoring the Red Warriors 24-8, led by Pong Escobal, to close the half only behind by 4, 40-36.

Pong Escobal, spiked by 4 3-pointers, led the way for the Red Lions with a game-high 17 points.

buti na lang na shoot ang mga tira Pong pong kung hindi talo beda.

Sniff...

He could be the nxt demigod* if he (Escobal)* learn to PASS!!* He has the attitude of kobe b.

"THE BALL IS MINE ALL MINE........ hahahahahhaha" --kobe
"* "I'm not changing my game whatsoever," --kobe
"on an island by themselves."* --kobe

Agent 008
12-19-2005, 01:18 PM
When might the next SBC-Ateneo match be? I am missing the sportsmanship of the two class acts already...

gameface_one
12-19-2005, 11:48 PM
When might the next SBC-Ateneo match be? I am missing the sportsmanship of the two class acts already...

We will announce it here when we already have the official word from the teams.

Out_Of_The_Blue
12-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Just saw the match between the Red Cubs and the Newly formed Eaglets team. The cubs massacred the eaglets 85-56. The frontline of the cubs are just awesome: Marcelo, Afuang, and Babilonia just took control of the game. Hermida also played well. On the part of the Eaglets, Gamboa, Katipunan, Felix, and Gonzalez played extremely well. The cubs are just too skilled on every position and too tall for the eaglets' frontline.

bchoter
12-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Out_of_the_blue:

85-56???? I know the Cubs are good but a 20+ loosing margin doesn't sound like an Eaglet squad. A more detaild account please.

chba_dude
12-21-2005, 05:09 PM
My two cent's worth..

With all due respect to the Eaglets, as mentioned in an earlier post, newly-formed daw yun team fielded by Ateneo. If Marcelo, Afuang, Babilonia and Hermida played, that would probably have been the 2nd place team sa NCAA Juniors. That team has been playing together (intact) for about a year now. And well-accepted fact that the Cubs are a constant powerhouse year after year. To be fair with the Eaglets, facing a "veteran" squad in the early stages of their formation would be too daunting a task.

Besides, Ateneo plays in another league come June/July, the big daddy of our respective Juniors divisions. A loss to, let's say a UST or UPIS should be more of a cause for concern.

Agent 008
12-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Since we're throwing in two-cents...might as well throw in mine...

For the newly-formed Eaglets, losing to a much stronger veteran team at this early stage can only be viewed as a good thing. I know that's a cop out but at least now they know what level they will need to shoot for if they want to be the best high school team next year. Still, an almost 30-point blowout deserves respect and recognition. If SBC will not be with the UAAP anytime soon, I'm sure ADMU would welcome these Red Cub stalwarts if they choose to join the Eagles in the future.

Congratulations to the Cubs!

Out_Of_The_Blue
12-21-2005, 06:10 PM
bchoter/chba,

I arrived at the start of the second half. I forgot the score but the cubs were already enjoying a 22 pt margin then. Yup, there were around 17 to 18 players in the eaglets' line-up and only around 8 were hold overs from the last UAAP team. The tallest in the line-up was Golla at 6'3". Compared, to Marcelo, Afuang, and Babilonia, he was just too raw. It was actually a block party for the cubs. No one can penetrate the lane. The eaglets died with their aweful outside shooting except in the 4th Q where 5 threes were contributed by Katipunan and Gamboa. As the cubs shot down the eaglets' perimeter shooting, they then attacked with their familiar fastbreak plays.

The eaglets were just totally outclassed. You could also sense that Coaach Jamike was more into experimenting combinations.

bchoter
01-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Any news on the second game?

gameface_one
01-02-2006, 07:41 PM
bchoter,

No news yet. We will advise everybody as soon as this is finalized with the 2 schools.

dead.duck.walking
01-06-2006, 01:27 PM
i've heard that the 2nd game will be on Jan 21 ... don't know what time though.* can somebody from beda or ateneo who can verify this.... thanks

CTumpi
01-06-2006, 04:28 PM
i've heard that the 2nd game will be on Jan 21 ... don't know what time though.* can somebody from beda or ateneo who can verify this.... thanks

And will this be at the BEG?

gameface_one
01-06-2006, 06:28 PM

Nope, no official word yet.

RLdiehard
01-14-2006, 11:24 PM
No game 2 sked yet, but once confirmation is made by coach Koy & coach Norman rest assured that it will be announced right away. For the meantime let us support the San Beda-Ateneo games on Jan 27 at the Blue Eagle gym (Home & Away) & Jan 28 at the San Beda gym (Fr Martin).

Wang-Bu
02-20-2006, 08:05 PM
Check niyo column ni Sam Miguel, its all about San Beda and Ateneo.

Gil_Andrews
03-02-2008, 03:38 PM
An exhibition game between Ateneo and San Beda is scheduled on Mar. 8, 2008 at St. Placid's Gym. Time is 3 pm.

This will be a good exhibition match. Will we again see the same kind of preparation and atmosphere just like their other exhibition game 2 yrs ago complete with the cheering squads and full house crowd?

Projected match-ups:

Ekwe vs. Al-Husseini
Escobal vs. Tiu
Menor vs. Salamat

Continue listing the match-ups Gamefacers.

franz_inwurdz
03-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Old 2007 line-up ba?
Jake Pascual vs. Ryan Buenafe

gwaps
03-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Idagdag nyo pa si Caram vs. Monfort. ;D* Eto yung aabangan ko ng todo.. ;D

bchoter
03-03-2008, 12:15 PM
How about Jake Pascual vs. Justin Chua? Two HS slotmen but are said to be skilled and mobile enough to move to the perimeter.

Puwede bang maki-miron ang hindi tiga Mendiola at Katipunan? In the previous edition di ako umabot kaya di ko nakuha yung pinangakong shirt :D

lekiboy
03-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Idagdag nyo pa si Caram vs. Monfort. ;D* Eto yung aabangan ko ng todo.. ;D

eto din aabangan ko ---and of course, the 2 handed slam of "THE FRO" !!!!! yahooo!

Nike Air
03-03-2008, 03:09 PM
in the match up between jake and justin, i'd give jake the advantage on that one. jake might just run around justin on the perimeter. mas magandang match up si nonoy at jake.

LION
03-03-2008, 03:30 PM
^Dyan lamang is nonoy. Nonoy is the better player inside and he's stronger, taller and more experienced than Elvin. Wala pang collegiate experience his Elvin.

But Elvin can offset Nonoy's advantage a little bit with his outside game.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
I'd say this is a good tune up game for both squads. I like Jake and Nonoy's match up as well. Same built and height (not sure on this one pero yan tingin ko) plus the position that they play. If both teams play in full strength, maganda panoorin yan.

LION
03-03-2008, 03:54 PM
I'd say this is a good tune up game for both squads. I like Jake and Nonoy's match up as well. Same built and height (not sure on this one pero yan tingin ko) plus the position that they play. If both teams play in full strength, maganda panoorin yan.

bfb, I think Nonoy is an inch taller than Jake. Also, Nonoy has the longer wingspan. Jake will most likely play as SF while Nonoy will be the PF for the Blue Eagles. Malamang na magkaharap niyan e Dave Marcelo/Shaq Taganas at Nonoy Baclao.

Over-all, I'd give the advantage to the Blue Eagles. They are more methodical plus they have the better coach. SBC has the advantage in terms of manpower but only 5 can play at the same time. In the end, it all boils down to team work and execution.

March 8 falls on a saturday. At mahirap ang parking sa Mendiola pag Sabado. >:(

bchoter
03-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Di ba too much of an edge yung experience and physical maturity ng katawan ni Nonoy over Pascual?

LION
03-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Di ba luging too much of an edge yung experience and physical maturity ng katawan ni Nonoy over Pascual?

Agree. At this point, lamang na lamang si Nonoy. Battle-tested na yan. Si Pascual pang FMC pa lang nalalaro.

bchoter
03-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Wrong post :D

bigfreeze_bibby
03-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Experience in playing lamang si Nonoy pero sa katawan tingin ko parehas nang batak yung katawan nung dalawa. Mahaba din naman wingspan ni Jake pero tama ka LION, Pascual might play SF and Baclao will play PF baka maging iba ang match ups sa defense. I'd like to see how Taganas and Marcelo will adjust to a quicker Baclao kung dyan babagsak ang match ups.

oca
03-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Experience in playing lamang si Nonoy pero sa katawan tingin ko parehas nang batak yung katawan nung dalawa.* Mahaba din naman wingspan ni Jake pero tama ka LION, Pascual might play SF and Baclao will play PF baka maging iba ang match ups sa defense.* I'd like to see how Taganas and Marcelo will adjust to a quicker Baclao kung dyan babagsak ang match ups.

Baclao will run rings around Marcelo, but not with Taganas. I expect Taganas to literally push Baclao out of position in offense farther from the basket. Taganas is big but he ain't slow. Nonoy will not out manuever Jay-R with 1 to 2 dribbles from outside the shaded area going in, so the former should have been practicing his short jumper with more intensity and volume these past days.

I just hope Frankie Lim will not spoil my day by keeping Taganas in the bench.

mighty_lion
03-05-2008, 08:33 PM

;D ;D

Sana mag-press ang Ateneo para nasa loob palagi si Taganas.

LION
03-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Experience in playing lamang si Nonoy pero sa katawan tingin ko parehas nang batak yung katawan nung dalawa.* Mahaba din naman wingspan ni Jake pero tama ka LION, Pascual might play SF and Baclao will play PF baka maging iba ang match ups sa defense.* I'd like to see how Taganas and Marcelo will adjust to a quicker Baclao kung dyan babagsak ang match ups.

Baclao will run rings around Marcelo, but not with Taganas. I expect Taganas to literally push Baclao out of position in offense farther from the basket. Taganas is big but he ain't slow. Nonoy will not out manuever Jay-R with 1 to 2 dribbles from outside the shaded area going in, so the former should have been practicing his short jumper with more intensity and volume these past days.

I don't think that Baclao will also have an easy time against Marcelo. Magkaiba kasi ng defensive philosophy si Taganas at Marcelo.

Taganas' defense is what I would call "passive" defense. Like any typical wide bodied big man, his style is to push his man out of the shaded area, out of his comfort zone. He wants you to make your shot from the medium range. If he is up against big men who don't have that kind of shot in their arsenal, Taganas is very effective. Low percentage shots for the opposing team's bigs. And that means automatic rebounds and ball possessions for us. Hindi masyadong na-appreciate ng mga tao ang ganitong klaseng depensa. If the big man misses his shot from the medium range, they would think he just missed. They don't see or appreciate the reason why he missed.

His style is in contrast to the "active" or "agressive" type of defense which Marcelo uses, and which is often the only kind of defense appreciated by the spectators. Marcelo will not push you out of your comfort zone. He will let you in because he wants to block your shot. For the young Marcelo, defense is about blocking shots, and he goes after the ball aggressively often resulting in fouls. Marcelo is foul prone, Taganas is not.

I am not saying that the "active" or "agressive" type of defense is inferior. On the contrary, I think it is very effective when the opposing big man can shoot from medium range, which is the weak point of Taganas' "passive" type of defense.

My opinion. :)

oca
03-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Your opinion is very agreeable, pareng LION.

But I will still give Baclao the edge over Marcelo. The former is not exactly a college freshman rookie recruit we first saw last year. He has log about 2 years of competitive college ball before his first UAAP season. Who while complying with residency rules played heavy minutes for Team Glory Be and even saw heavy minutes last year. While Marcelo was a true rookie who saw minimal minutes last season and even in post season events had to share minutes with so many players in your talent pool.

Simply, experience wise lamang na lamang si Nonoy over Dave. But against Taganas, I will call it even on that aspect. At pag nag-click ang short jumper ni Nonoy, tiyak hilong talilong si Frankie sa paghanap ng i-ma-match up kay Nonoy.

Well, I really hope either match-up materializes.

Edited: Spilleng...

mighty_lion
03-08-2008, 07:41 PM
MVP made me smile by wearing violent shirt. So much for the color debate. ;D

Congrats Ateneo. Ateneo caught us with better execution by patiently moving the ball to the open man (on half-court) and running the transition as fast as possible (courtesy of long rebounds). Ateneo defensive strategy of daring Menor and SBC's wingmen taking long outside shots was very effective as this often results to long rebounds and easy transition baskets. No doubt our players are skilled one-on-one defenders but that was negated by Ateneo's effective ball rotation (at least 3-5 passes) finding the open man for the trigger.

Schortsanitis
03-08-2008, 09:17 PM
ADMU vs. SBC 030808

** The game was almost full house at the San Beda Gym.* Norman Black was not around for ADMU, while Sam Ekwe was Missing In Action for SBC.

** The 1st 5 minutes of the game was basically a shootout between Chris Tiu & Ogie Menor.* Both teams had complete lineups, but without the players that already graduated.* Both teams also gave major minutes to their non-starters, especially in the 2nd & 3rd quarters.* The game was close up until the 3rd quarter, when ADMU made a run & established a 10 + lead.* SBC made a run in the 4th quarter & even led by about 2 points, but ADMU started another run, getting the lead & padding it up to about a dozen points until the end of the game.

ADMU

** Chris Tiu outlasted Ogie in their shoot out, though, just great outside shooting all game long for him today.* No doubt he will be ADMU's main man on offense next season.*

** Jai Reyes played well in the game at point for ADMU.* Needs work on his offense, but everything else (i.e., ballhandling, passing, steals, etc.) he was pretty solid, keeping up & even surpassing SBC's Hermida in some instances.

** I remember seeing no. 22 on ADMU's Glory B team last year.* Wide-bodied, 6'1"-6'2" who seems to be playing 2-3-4 on their lineup.* Great set shooter, great hustle.* I think this guy may have found himself a slot on ADMU's Team A.* He definitely deserves it, if he makes it.

** Except for Udo, none of the big men from both teams were much of a factor in this game.* Al-Hussaini had 3 of his shots blocked by Udo, so that dampened his inside game.

SBC

** Udo Emeka had a great defensive game, getting a lot of rebounds, & I estimate him to have had AT LEAST 8 blocks in the game.* I wouldn't be surprised, if he ended up in double figures in block shots.* He didn't show much offense in the game, though.

** Taganas had quite a no. of offensive boards, but the problem was that he was hurrying his shots on the follow up, hence missing most of it.* Probably conscious of having his shots blocked, what w/ that 2" vertical leap of his.* Marcelo contributed some points, but not much, & Elvin Pascual was a non-factor in the game.* It's obvious that, as now, neither Taganas, Marcelo or Pascual are playing near the level to somewhat offset Aljamal's departure from this team.*

** Gamalinda initially was great in the open court scoring & working w/ Pong & Ogie, but had problems offensively against a halcourt defense, since he, too, had problems hitting his outside shots.

Closing

** Great game, I felt ADMU won mainly because they were just shooting very well from the outside.* Not just Tiu, but also no. 22, & even that no. 14 guy chipped in 2 3-pt shots.* SBC, on the other hand, couldn't buy a basket from outside in the 4th quarter.* Pong & Ogie just weren't a factor from the outside in this game.

** The SBC Red Lions seems to have problems beating UAAP teams in the off-season.* I mean, they couldn't get past UST in the CCL, had a tied game w/ FEU recently, & now lost to ADMU.* I think that's something to think about for the coaching staff in terms of assessing the team's weaknesses for this coming NCAA season.*

canmaker
03-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Great report Schort. You must be referring to Tonino Gonzaga, who played center in HS but has successfully transitioned to the 2 & 3 position in college ...

===

ADMU vs. SBC 030808

** The game was almost full house at the San Beda Gym.* Norman Black was not around for ADMU, while Sam Ekwe was Missing In Action for SBC.

** The 1st 5 minutes of the game was basically a shootout between Chris Tiu & Ogie Menor.* Both teams had complete lineups, but without the players that already graduated.* Both teams also gave major minutes to their non-starters, especially in the 2nd & 3rd quarters.* The game was close up until the 3rd quarter, when ADMU made a run & established a 10 + lead.* SBC made a run in the 4th quarter & even led by about 2 points, but ADMU started another run, getting the lead & padding it up to about a dozen points until the end of the game.

ADMU

** Chris Tiu outlasted Ogie in their shoot out, though, just great outside shooting all game long for him today.* No doubt he will be ADMU's main man on offense next season.*

** Jai Reyes played well in the game at point for ADMU.* Needs work on his offense, but everything else (i.e., ballhandling, passing, steals, etc.) he was pretty solid, keeping up & even surpassing SBC's Hermida in some instances.

** I remember seeing no. 22 on ADMU's Glory B team last year.* Wide-bodied, 6'1"-6'2" who seems to be playing 2-3-4 on their lineup.* Great set shooter, great hustle.* I think this guy may have found himself a slot on ADMU's Team A.* He definitely deserves it, if he makes it.

** Except for Udo, none of the big men from both teams were much of a factor in this game.* Al-Hussaini had 3 of his shots blocked by Udo, so that dampened his inside game.

SBC

** Udo Emeka had a great defensive game, getting a lot of rebounds, & I estimate him to have had AT LEAST 8 blocks in the game.* I wouldn't be surprised, if he ended up in double figures in block shots.* He didn't show much offense in the game, though.

** Taganas had quite a no. of offensive boards, but the problem was that he was hurrying his shots on the follow up, hence missing most of it.* Probably conscious of having his shots blocked, what w/ that 2" vertical leap of his.* Marcelo contributed some points, but not much, & Elvin Pascual was a non-factor in the game.* It's obvious that, as now, neither Taganas, Marcelo or Pascual are playing near the level to somewhat offset Aljamal's departure from this team.*

** Gamalinda initially was great in the open court scoring & working w/ Pong & Ogie, but had problems offensively against a halcourt defense, since he, too, had problems hitting his outside shots.

Closing

** Great game, I felt ADMU won mainly because they were just shooting very well from the outside.* Not just Tiu, but also no. 22, & even that no. 14 guy chipped in 2 3-pt shots.* SBC, on the other hand, couldn't buy a basket from outside in the 4th quarter.* Pong & Ogie just weren't a factor from the outside in this game.

** The SBC Red Lions seems to have problems beating UAAP teams in the off-season.* I mean, they couldn't get past UST in the CCL, had a tied game w/ FEU recently, & now lost to ADMU.* I think that's something to think about for the coaching staff in terms of assessing the team's weaknesses for this coming NCAA season.*

Schortsanitis
03-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Great report Schort.* You must be referring to Tonino Gonzaga, who played center in HS but has successfully transitioned to the 2 & 3 position in college ...

Thanks for the info on Tonino Gonzaga. It looks like he will be a good role player for ADMU, maybe even more.

canmaker
03-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Yes, Schort, the hardcore fans are very excited with the prospect that Tonino MIGHT crack Team A.

The other fellow you mentioned, #14, seems to be Enzo "Red" katipunan, SG and former champion eaglet teammate of Tonino, Bakon, & Mike Gamboa (2006).

LION
03-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Congrats to the Blue Eagles! A total of 48 points from the arc? Wow. What happened to the perimeter defense of San Beda? When Chris Tiu and Jai Reyes are playing well the Hail Mary team usually wins.

mighty_lion
03-10-2008, 08:21 AM

Agree with this Schort. In the last Ateneo-SBC friendship game more than two years ago (Dec '05 I think) Jai was more of a catch and shot guy. Jai went miles ahead from where he was that time compared to the game he showed last Saturday. Ateneo coaching staff must have done wonders converting him to as legitimate point guard.

Schortsanitis
03-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Didn't notice Jai had 4 triples. I actually thought he had a bad shooting game since I only noticed the shots he missed in the later quarters.

Just too shy to take notes in these games. :D

oca
03-10-2008, 09:42 AM
San Beda is hard to beat if allowed to play the whole length of the court. But Coach Jamike would have none of that. He* cleverly cut the court area into 2 halves--- he played half court offense and he did a 2-3 zone with some variations in it.

Nothing surprising with that startegy working effectively on the Red Lions. Mukha na yata akong sirang plaka sa paulit-ulit kong pagsabi niyan.

Why can't the Red Lions do something about it, up to now, puzzles me.

There are a lot of good things that can be said of Ateneo's game - but more than the players performing well, I would spend this few minutes on Coach Jamike.

He did one hell of a job in calling the shots for this game.

It was obvious from the 1st qtr that Blue Eagles big men will not have their way in offense and Ateneo's inside game will not work. So, Jamike played by having 2 to 3 outside threat at any given time. Rabeh* even sat for loooooong minutes. Considering that he is expected to carry the burden of manning the middle next season, Jamike placed his bets on a perimeter offense.

For now, I will not say outright that na hinog na si Jamike for college coaching, but it would be safe to say he will be after 1 or 2 more years. I would love to see him coach at the college level. The Blue Eagles perhaps?

If I may be allowed to be rude, I just don't see Norman Black capable enough to make Ateneo a consistent winner, or should I say -- champion. He may win one or two, but with the amount of support the team is getting, it should have won more and should win more. But will Norman actually deliver? That I seriously doubt.

If the time comes Jamike will be asked to be head coach, I think the Blue Eagles can be, at the very least, a consistent finalist.

oca
03-10-2008, 10:11 AM
As for the Red Lions...

Walang bago.

They have the whole months of April and May ahead of them and NC' season opens late June. I don't think anything dramatic will happen or change during this time to........ Frankie Lim.

Results of the game aside, there is no rhyme or reason in his substitutions. Then, whenever he would call for a timeout it would be a possession or two too late.

But what the Red Lions faithful should be worried about is this - he seem to have given Menor the license to do as the kid would please on court.

Ateneo had played zone a few minutes into the 1st qtr until endgame. Since when Menor has become a game long consistent shooter from the outside? But Menor was kept in the game over long stretches. One travelling error after another and one forced shot after another. Yes, there were the highlight manuevers. But you don't win games on that.

Rendahan niyo ang bata. If you don't, he will cost you a lot of games.

On another point, ipinasok si Canlas. This kid can shoot. The kid missed his first 2 attempts from the 3-pt area. Smart enough, he took a 15 footer next to find his range. Pasok! What happens on the next deadball situation? Inilabas ang bata.

That's not how to play a shooter! Magmintis kung magmintis sa mga unang tira, pero pag may pumasok huwag mong ilabas. Infact call for a play to set him up for more shots.

Then from a close game middle of the 4th, biglang umabante ng 6 ang Blue Eagles. Walang timeout, at nasan si Escobal? Then, ayun, nag timeout, nagpalit ng tao. Pero ilan na ang lamang-- 10!

Swerte lang talaga si Frankie at malakas ang minana niyang line-up at malalim ang talent pool, the kids will carry him.

Though I believe Frankie Lim has the character and personality to be a very good coach, the fact that he had no previous head coaching experience is becoming very glaring.

If you are one who looks highly on the players on that lineup, it can get frustrating to see the coach spoil your viewing. This is not about winning. But you would always want to find some coherence in a game.

As for the Bedan community,imo , for as long as the team wins late in September, they'll endure all of Frankie's shortcomings. But they better pray that Frankie learns and matures well anough through every game. Dahil kung hindi, I doubt if they'll achieve their dream of surpassing SSC-Rs 5 consecutive titles.

LION
03-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Wag na lang nating pag usapan si Frankie. Lunes pa lang eh. Mahaba haba pa ang linggo. ;D

Btw, how was the J-Tag/Davemar vs. Nonoy Baclao matchup? Ito yung pre-game discussion last week eh.

Schortsanitis
03-10-2008, 01:53 PM
But what the Red Lions faithful should be worried about is this - he seem to have given Menor the license to do as the kid would please on court.

Ateneo had played zone a few minutes into the 1st qtr until endgame. Since when Menor has become a game long consistent shooter from the outside? But Menor was kept in the game over long stretches. One travelling error after another and one forced shot after another. Yes, there were the highlight manuevers. But you don't win games on that.

I have to agree w/ this. My impression was, that w/ Aljamal gone, SBC's offense now seems to live or die w/ Menor and/or Escobal.

Good if both were delivering, but after 4 games against tough UAAP teams, even in the off season, they have not delivered on crunchtime thus far.

Aljamal w/ his outside shot was a zone breaker, & he could score at crunchtime, too. I wonder if Tecson would've made a difference w/ his outside shooting. Also felt that Singh is a sparkplug that could (maybe) helped jumpstart SBC's offense when Pong & Ogie are not making their shots.

oca
03-10-2008, 02:01 PM
The match-up didn't materialize.

From the tip off, it was a Gamalinda/ Baclao match up when Ateneo had possession. But before anything *developed early in the game, Emeka had blocked 2 or 3 shots and was grabbing rebounds without much difficulty.

Jamike was smart enough to make the adjustments. Ateneo changed their offense. Pulled out Rabeh and fielded another outside threat and concentrated in finding the open man in the perimeter. They were having a good clip for much part *the 2nd and 3rd qtrs, there was no need to abandon the gameplan sa 4th. Fact is, Rabeh was kept in the bench for long stretches. It was Baclao who took the burden of manning the middle. Mismatch pag pinagsabay sina Emeka/ Taganas and Emeka/ Dave. There was even a stretch Emeka/ Taganas/ Dave. But it didn't matter much for Ateneo since they really shot well from the outside.

In SBC offense, the Ateneo zone-D clogged the middle. No room for the Emeka/ Taganas/ Dave to receive entry passes. *Except when Hermida or Escobal would have the ball, Ateneo defense would practically dare the Red Lions to shoot from the outside. Since the Red Lions were shooting poorly from the outside, hindi bumuka yung zona.

Jamike made early adjustments and had Frankie countered effectively, maganda tignan yung ibabalik ni Jamike.

Kaya lang mismatch sa coaching, eh. *::)

oca
03-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Being a tune-up game, both winner and loser can, may or will downplay the result.

But from a non-partisan spectator, you try to find some coherence, rhyme and reason in what's happening on court. I like what I saw in Ateneo's game. I didn't like what I saw in San Beda's game.

Had the Eagle's shooting dipped in the last 5 minutes, it may have gone the other way. But would it changed my opinion of the Red Lions game the first 43 minutes?

LION
03-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Gamalinda vs. Baclao? ;D

mighty_lion
03-10-2008, 03:20 PM
^ Wala masyadong match-up ng bigmen except Emeka swatting shots all over the post. Gamalinda spent most of the time in the perimeter (except for some transition get aways).

OT: Sir I was looking for you last Saturday I thought you were there. Naipit ko lang sa bulsa, namali ng miscall.

LION
03-10-2008, 03:45 PM
^ Thanks. I was on my way to Rodriguez, Rizal at that time. Puro bundok na pala sa lugar na yun. OT hehehe.

Anyway, I heard there will be a second round with Ateneo. I hope we make it this time.

bchoter
03-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Coach Jamike is our version of Jeff Van Gundy. Both do not look the part of a basketball player. Mukhang mga ballboy :D. But they seem to share the same passion and same IQ level and competitiveness. Parehong basketbal-lifers. Cut from the same mold talaga. Kelan naman kaya natin makikita si coach Jamike hanging on to Jervy's leg while the later is going mano-a-mano with Rabeh in the UAAP season 71 finals :D