PDA

View Full Version : A Players from Team B - who should be elevated?

gameface_one
10-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Share your views members.

Cabagnot of FEU? Bughao of ADMU? Batricevic, Ilad, Walsham, and Jassim of DLSU? Sison, Serios, and Braganza of UP? Ekwe and Escobal of SBC? Thielle, Lopez, and Bandaying of UE?

bchoter
10-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Probably as many as 5 from SBC Team B. The Fil-Swiss, Ekwe, Escobal, Suguitan, and, hopefully, Michael Galinato.

cackler
10-24-2005, 02:22 PM
bchoter:

I think Galinato will still have to establish residency.

Will you guys still have the same coach next year? How is Gile doing? Will he play the 3 spot?

Thanks pare ko.

chba_dude
10-24-2005, 02:51 PM
One year residency requirement lang sa NCAA Sir cackler.. Galinato will most probably be elevated too..

cackler
10-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Chba_dude:

Thanks. OO nga pala.

All I can say now is WOW! San Beda would be the most exciting team to watch. With Coach Koy at the helm plus the renewed interest and support of the Red and White . . . WOW!

Sana magkaroon ng Catholic Schools League: San Beda, Letran (?), Adamson, UST, Ateneo, La Salle, etc. Would love to see how Beda matches up. Dasal muna before games tapos murahan na! Konting desenteng half time performances tapos murahan na ulit. Pagkatapos ng games, dasal ulit. Tapos deretso na sa watering holes for ice cold beer, kasama mga seminarista tapos tuloy ang kantiyawan. Whoa!

Gil_Andrews
10-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Right now, Ronnie, Jobe, Yuri, Meds, Pao, and Mike are favorites to slug it out the available slots in the Ateneo varsity team.

Let's wait until summer next year when we see a new batch of Team B players. That pool is where Norman will pick some of his magnificent 14.

Wang-Bu
10-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Sa lamya nung Mike Baldos ngayon baka kahit sa intrams mahirapan siyang gumawa. Lintek na bata 'yan, parang hindi tumanda sa Mendiola, ang lamyang maglaro ngayon. Hindi naman siya ganyan last year, kahit mag-5 siya kayang-kaya, hindi siya nagpapatalo sa utakan kahit mas malakas o mas malaki ang kalaban niya. Ngayong marami na siyang katulong na malalaki sa Team B ng Ateneo saka pa yata nawala sa ayos ang laro! Hindi ako makapaniwala na ito din 'yung Mike Baldos na nag-Burlington Youth Team mga bandang early 2004. Sabagay, naging irrelevant si Baldos sa Youth Team na 'yon dahil sa isang Dylan Ababou, na ngayo'y nasa UST varsity na.

MargaretThrasher
10-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Right now, Ronnie, Jobe, Yuri, Meds, Pao, and Mike are favorites to slug it out the available slots in the Ateneo varsity team.
I hate to sound like a naysayer, but do you really think that Meds has a chance? I know he's a sentimental favorite of the Ateneo Team B fans, but he seems kind of undersized to me.

But then if Reyes and Nazareno made it to the UAAP...sige na nga, siguro may chance pa si Meds. :)

Also, I agree with Wang-Bu about Mike Baldos. People haven't been saying as many good things about him this year as they did last year. :(

Gil_Andrews
10-26-2005, 10:28 AM
I hate to sound like a naysayer, but do you really think that Meds has a chance? I know he's a sentimental favorite of the Ateneo Team B fans, but he seems kind of undersized to me.

But then if Reyes and Nazareno made it to the UAAP...sige na nga, siguro may chance pa si Meds. :)

Also, I agree with Wang-Bu about Mike Baldos. People haven't been saying as many good things about him this year as they did last year. :(

Margaret thrasher,

The good thing about Meds is that he gives 101% every game. The kid is quick and sets-up the play well. Aside from Yuri, he's the other pure PG available. His heart is unquestionable. He's like emman. He contributes a lot of intangibles to the team.

I also agree with Wang-Bu's comments on Mike. He really has to work on his consistency. Sayang na bata.

full battle gear
10-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Good points regarding Medina. Maliit nga siya and the trend seems to be for taller PGs. But the few times I've seen this kid play, I've observed he does contribute a lot to his team and he really doesn't hold anything back even against bigger players.

Mike Baldos has regressed so much. Ang payat na nung huli ko makita! And from the way he played, it doesn't seem like he still has Team A aspirations. When he was part of the Cubs, I thought he had the potential to become one of the best players. Sayang.

For FEU, I think Cabagnot is a shoo-in. That kid is good.

Sam Miguel
10-28-2005, 05:52 PM
One coach I spoke with said Mike Baldos has "bastard height", meaning he's a classic "tweener", not quite big and strong enough to be a legit 4, not quite quick and athletic enough to be a legit 3. Certainly he has no business being a center in the UAAP, and he does not have to perimeter mentality of a guard. Baldos is somewhere in the 6'3" to 6'4" neighborhood, with superior footwork for a forward, which would make for an ideal combo-forward in the mold of a Wesley Gonzales or Edwin Bacani.

Unfortunately his shot does not extend beyond 15 feet, and his dribble is still high. If only Baldos would get stronger, hit the weights more, or at least do more pushups and pullups, as well as more abs work, he could already be a productive 4. He should pattern his fitness after Martin Quimson, get that big, that strong and that cut. He should also seriously think about more intensive training to develop his explosiveness, get more strength and spring in his legs. With his spin moves and pivots, if he had just another two inches of vertical and another 10 pounds of muscle, he'd be unstoppable. As it is he's a handful trying to stop in the post because of his footwork, but he gets stymied because he has to go up against bigger, higher leaping, stronger post players.

Baldos needs only 6-8 weeks of truly intensive but intelligent 2-hours of personal training and then just find sustenance exercises until training camp and tryouts over the summer. This time frame will allow him to get used to whatever new speed and strength he gains from the training. Two hours a day is not much, and it will go by ver fast if you are serious about your wind sprints, road runs, lifting and calisthenics.

The question is: Does Baldos still want it...?

Wang-Bu
10-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Hindi pa naman hopeless case si Mike Baldos, pero gaya ng sabi ng marami dito, kailangan niyang isipin sa sarili niya kung gusto pa niyang mag-UAAP, kasi sa totoo lang pwede naman siya. Hindi ako agree sa "bastard height" argument kasi tancha ko good size for any of the frontcourt positions si Baldos, good enough for center (think Lingaolingao of NU), very good sa parehong forward. Ang problema niya kung may balakid sa isip at damdamin niya na humahadlang sa kanyang full development bilang isang player. Nakita ko na datin 'yan na consistent na nag-shoot ng jab-step jumper from about 18-19 feet sa station drills, so hindi problema ang skill at talent sa kanya. Pero tama din ang mga nagsabi, masyadong mahina si Baldos ngayon, parang parating puyat, not enough vitamins 'ika nga.

chief
11-02-2005, 06:00 PM
If Baldos still "wants" it... it would've shown... kung hindi man sa offense, at the very least defense. wala namang malas sa defense eh.

souljah_boy
11-03-2005, 12:35 PM
I doubt Galinato will get a spot in Team A next year, para sa 'kin lang. Why? Well, sabi sa column ni Beth Celis I guess it was yesterday that if Japeth is going to be investigated, Galinato will be too. I mean, sabi both of them suspiciously dispappeared from Mapua High after NCAA juniors season 79 eh.

Skills-wise, 'di rin siya papasa sa 'kin. Among the big men of SBC's team B, I would count him out already and choose among the rest (Ekwe, Butscher, Taupa, and Suguitan)

Sam Miguel
12-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Michael Burtscher, 6'6" 215 pounds, has the range to play the 3, the size and leap to play the 4, can masquerade as a 5 in a pinch. Shoo-in for an NCAA slot with Beda? Depends...

Burtscher got his first taste of truly topflight competition in the Exhibition Game versus Ateneo, where JC Intal took him to school. Burtscher had limited minutes and did not (to my recollection) even take a shot. Speaking of shot, I have yet to see him catch fire from the outside even in the FMC Open tournament. He has the confidence to keep taking the trey, but his percentage is probably hovering just around 30%. He's talented enough to be on one of those Streetball exhibition teams so the talent is not a problem. Consistency however is another thing. He can get stronger and more athletic but he needs to find some consistency in his game. THAT I believe is the only thing holding him back. No one can guard him with his size and athleticism, at least no one SHOULD be able to guard him. So how come he has a tough time against the defense of the B Team of Ateneo, and the B Team of FEU? Heaven forbid he should ever go up against the likes of Gabby Espinas or Eric Rodriguez.

razor
12-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Michael Burtscher, 6'6" 215 pounds, has the range to play the 3, the size and leap to play the 4, can masquerade as a 5 in a pinch. Shoo-in for an NCAA slot with Beda? Depends...

Aside from his physical gifts, Butscher also has the right work ethic - masipag daw sa practice and lagi sa gym.

Couple months back I thought he's cinch to make to Team A. But with his recent play, I think he's back on the bubble. In the coming months he must convince Koy that he can consistently contribute considering ang daming talented aspirants for inclusion/retention sa Team A. There are a couple of shooters from the Red Cubs who can take away his spot. Heck, even Magay has shown alot of spunk lately to make a case for him to be retained sa Team A.

Butscher obviously is feeling the pressure and this has affected his game.

Nevertheless, I still think that he can get the nod of Koy as soon as he can get the confidence to just play out his role.

oca
12-16-2005, 08:50 AM

Aside from his physical gifts, Butscher also has the right work ethic - masipag daw sa practice and lagi sa gym.

Couple months back I thought he's cinch to make to Team A. But with his recent play, I think he's back on the bubble. In the coming months he must convince Koy that he can consistently contribute considering ang daming talented aspirants for inclusion/retention sa Team A. There are a couple of shooters from the Red Cubs who can take away his spot. Heck, even Magay has shown alot of spunk lately to make a case for him to be retained sa Team A.

Butscher obviously is feeling the pressure and this has affected his game.

Nevertheless, I still think that he can get the nod of Koy as soon as he can get the confidence to just play out his role.

When we take into account that players like Burtscher have very limited basketball experience, there will always be question on how they would respond in REAL game situations. More so when up against a tough opponent.

This maxim applies to all PROMISING players.

Him and Ekwe shows great promise. Very athletic, disciplined and coachable. But being "relatively young in the game" will have its drawbacks.

MargaretThrasher
12-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Burtscher has limited basketball experience? ??? I thought he played for the Swiss national junior team or something.

I don't know what basketball in Switzerland is like, but if he was good enough to be counted among the best young players in the whole country, then maybe he's got more than "limited" basketball experience - unless he made the national team in another sport. :-[

AnthonyServinio
01-23-2006, 09:40 PM
I want Paul Christian "Anak ng Alamat" Zamar of the UE Red Warriors to be elevated to Team A in UAAP 69!* * :D

gameface_one
01-25-2006, 10:14 AM
Got this from Greenarcher.net:

THE FUTURE OF DLSU BASKETBALL
Submitted by chili on Tue, 2006-01-24 10:25. Basketball

Rico Maierhofer and much-awaited Yugoslavian Marko Batricevic will banner La Salle's reconstruction of the frontline.

How does the future of La Salle basketball look like, with superstars Joseph Yeo and Mac Cardona now moving on the pros and with our accustomed coach Franz Pumaren nowhere to be found on the sidelines?

That was answered when the Green Archers opened their bid in the 2005 Home and Away Invitational Tournament last January 21 at the Emilio Aguinaldo Gym. However, they bowed to archrival Ateneo, 67-77.

Several fresh faces finally playing for the green and white were unveiled during the very brief tournament, now on its second year, which also included University of the East (UE), Ateneo De Manila University (ADMU), College of St. Benilde (CSB), Emilio Aguinaldo College (EAC), Lyceum University, University of Sto. Tomas (UST), Far Eastern University (FEU) and San Beda College (SBC).

This year, to ensure parity and give more exposure to up-and-coming youngsters, cagers who are participating in the current Philippine Basketball Tournament (PBL) conference or already have prior PBL experience are prohibited from suiting up, that’s why only a handful UAAP players are eligible to play.

Maierhofer

From last year’s UAAP line-up, only Rico Maierhofer, who chipped in 14 points for his debut team captain stint, and rookies PJ Barua, Kish Co and James Mangahas are on the team. The rest are fresh faces who are all vying for coveted slots in Team A.

Despite Maierhofer’s good all-around performance, the Green Archers could not overcome the Eagles with veteran Ronnie Bughao, now expected to get extensive exposure for Ateneo this upcoming season with LA Tenorio’s graduation, pouring 29 big markers.

Bughao was sizzling for the entire game, which saw the Eagles in command all throughout. Bughao was unstoppable on his drives to the basket as the Archers, with Tyrone Tang and JV Casio nowhere to be found, did not have a veteran point guard to ably match-up with him.

Soriano

Rookie Randolph Soriano, the speedy Fil-American who is already eligible after sitting out last year for residency, had a respectable debut with 8 points, but could not connect on his baskets in the fourth quarter.

Musngi

Franz Musngi, the pint-sized point guard out of La Salle Greenhills, was also fielded in but failed to contribute on the offensive end.

Batricevic

Marko Batricevic, the much-talked about Yugoslavian also from La Salle Greenhills, had ample playing time as he started both the first and third quarters. Although he shot four points, he still needs to work on his post game and interior defense further.

Ilad

Brian Ilad, another rookie big man, fared better. Ilad had five points but was more aggressive off the boards.

Barua

For the Green Archers, it was Barua – the prized rookie find from Iloilo – who led the offense with 19 points. A far cry from his rawness last season, Barua revealed shades of a Mac Cardona, brandishing agility and explosiveness with his high-arching running shots. He can also drain those treys.

In lieu of the already resigned coach Pumaren, elevated assistant coach Jack Santiago has taken over the reins. He was ably flanked by Tonichi Yturri and Tyrone Bautista.

New faces abound the squad

Despite the loss against our archrivals, Santiago was satisfied with the team’s overall performance. “They’re still lacking the recognition that’s why they had several lapses. The team’s still young as compared to Ateneo because they have more players in the line-up who already have UAAP experience. That’s why they need the exposure in this tournament.”

ATENEO DE MANILA (77) -- Bughao 29, Reyes 11, Quimson 8, Escueta 7, Nkemakolam 7, Al-Hussaini 4, Uichico 4, Nazareno 3, M. Intal 2, Medina 2, Estoesta 0, Baldos 0.

DE LA SALLE-MANILA (67) -- Barua 19, Maierhofer 14, Soriano 8, Malabes 8, Mangahas 7, Ilad 5, Batricevic 4, Co 2, Musngi 0, Meneses 0.

Period Scores: 22-17, 42-32, 48-44, 77-67.

bigfreeze_bibby
01-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Soriano and Badeer will have to wait until season 70 before they can suit up for the Archers. Ilad can make it to team A come season 69.

Regarding Paul Zamar, where's the kid playing right now?

Gil_Andrews
03-23-2006, 12:29 PM
The coming Nike FMC Summer League will definitely give us a better look on who should be elevated to Team A.

For Ateneo, Chris Tiu, Jobe Nkemokolam, Pao Dizon, Yuri Escueta, Mike Baldos, and Mark Intal have been added to be part of the 24 player pool.

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Vince Fran of Ateneo Team B.

Frank Golla can also replace Mike Baldos when the latter's done after next year.

bchoter
09-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Nice bump Out.

From seasons past I always felt Nonoy Crisostomo and/or Hec Badua were Team B materials. Too bad they had to leave Espana for better opportunities. Moving on, in the past 2 FMC games Andrew Felix has beend displaying skills and composure worthy of a Team A slot especially given the fact that Jackson Wong hardly saw action. Darryl Basa should be in the running for Francis Allera's slot. Ian Ricalde and Peñan could take the place of Mel Gile and Chuck Taylor respectively.

razor
09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
This thread sure brings a lot of memories for us Bedans as this was started at a time we were still dreaming to end our title drought. But getting Escobal, Ekwe, Burstcher, Galinato, Suguitan, etc. into our Team B in one eventful summer brought a lot of hope to SBC's basketball program.

From the present Team Behold, we have Pepito "Maui" Decena. Truly hardcore.* *

mighty_lion
09-05-2008, 05:00 PM
From our Team Behold:
Dan - Sam's replacement
Pitong - if Chico will forego his final year
The Prince and/or Gege - Logical replacement for Pong unless someone better shows up out of the blue moon.

NU - Ajeet. Cant see anyone else in thier Team B with that much potential. Niepu on the otherhand would need another year to fill the residency requirement.

bossman
09-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Maui Decena deserves to be in the NCAA next year. My main man. Imagine, breaking the UE full court press on his own..

Wang-Bu
09-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Sana may Team B din kami... :-X

Sino-sino na ba sa mga import ang pupwede sa next season?

Alam ko si Daniel ng San Beda ok na.

Ito kayang sina Pipo Nuondoo ng FEU, Austin Manara ng Adamson at John Niepo ng NU?

Si Ajeet Singh nga din pala ng NU, pati na din si Gege Castillo ng San Beda.

Kakaintriga 'yung Nico De Chavez at Alec Rivera ng Ateneo. Nakaka-360 dunk si De Chavez. Hayop naman sa dribble-penetration si Rivera.

mighty_lion
09-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Si Pipoo parang tinatago ng FEU. Kung nilalaro man hindi nilalabas yong totoong laro. Unless nagdecline yong laro but is that even possible? Last summer tournaments, halatang tago yong laro ni Pipo.

Agreed with De Chavez. If there is one guy in Ateneo Glory B na pinakapolished yong laro si De Chavez yun.

As to NU B, ewan ang pangit ng sistema nila. Mas magaling pa magcoach yong tambay namin sa kanto.

The_Big_Cat
09-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Alec Rivera would be an excellent replacement for Chris Tiu in Ateneo next season.

Joescoundrel
09-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Alec Rivera is now in his second year on the B Team of Ateneo and he is still arguably the best pure pointguard Ateneo has already enrolled at Loyola Heights.

Having now seen three games and a couple practices of John Niepo I would submit that this guy needs to get a clue. He is a superb athlete but he is also quite a knucklehead who seems to think dunking is all it takes to win games. He has a hard time staying on front of his man on defense, has awful shooting mechanics and couldn't make an entry pass into the post to save his life.

The good news for Manny Dandan is that he is legitimately 6'5" and is highly athletic. All they have to do now is figure out how to turn him into a fulltime baller.

mighty_lion
09-09-2008, 09:23 AM
^ First and foremost Niepu has to realize that he is no Jason Kapono nor Gilbert Arenas to pump those treys.

Joescoundrel
09-15-2008, 10:57 AM
^ Maybe that's as good as it gets for him... ;D