PDA

View Full Version : Off The Court; Hoopsters Away From Hoops

Sam Miguel
10-03-2005, 03:53 PM
There is life away from basketball even for the most hardcore of players.

Jett Nieto - former star of the Ateneo varsity is now a successful medical doctor.

Dominic Uy and Mon Jose - stalwarts of the Lasalle dynasty are now coaches for the Lady Archers

Vince Hizon - former hotshot of Ateneo has become a media celebrity

Jonas Mariano - former RP Youth and Lasalle player became a movie actor for a while

Anyone else who might know what other hoopsters are doing outside of the basketball court?

MargaretThrasher
10-04-2005, 07:54 AM
I believe that former Blue Eagle Seph (sp?) Canlas is now a sous chef or something like that.

Wang-Bu
10-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Maraming player na naging successful din sa ibang larangan.

Ang idol ng bayan si Sonny Jaworski nagin Senador.

Ang kanyang dating kakampi na naging katunggali at muling naging kaibigang si Ramon Fernandez ay isa na ngayong distributor ng San Miguel.

Si Abet Guidaben ay nasa US na yata ngayon pero may naitayong construction supply business dati.

Si Benjie Paras ay isang sikat na komedyante. (Idol daw ito ni Enrico Villanueva)

Si Francis Arnaiz ay isang special consultant for the Governor of California, na si Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Si Jec "The Shot" Chia ay isang executive sa San Miguel Corporation.

Agent 008
10-21-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm sure na maraming player ang nag-succeed after their basketball retirement. Sports is a good vehicle to promote the inner drive to make it in this world.

Might as well add my batchmates...Peter Martin and Eric Reyes. Both visible in the PBA sportscasters desk.

Gil_Andrews
10-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Agent 008, I know somebody from your batch who was also a hardcore basketball legend but didn't make the UAAP. His name is Randy Sevilla. Any news about this guy?

Agent 008
10-25-2005, 04:21 PM
hey gil_andrews...

randy is alive and well and is a regular contributor to our batch egroup. he is an upstanding officer of the country's BIR. i'm not sure if he'll join the coming abl league but i hear he is an avid badminton practioner (last i heard this guy was class or even national pool material). haven't seen him since last dec 2004 though...

Gil_Andrews
10-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Agent 008, good to hear that. I remember Randy - all 5'7 of him blazing thru the defnders and making those outside shots over outstretched arms of 3 to 4 inch taller defenders. I also saw him elevate and dunk with two hands.

Matinding basketbolista si Randy Sevilla. Just don't know why he didn't make it to the UAAP.

Agent 008
10-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Hi Gil_Andrews. Yes, magaling talaga si Randy. Lightning fast and buo ang loob. Last time I played against him was at an ABL game about 3 years ago. He's still deadly from mid-range but he doesn't do too many of the slashing as he did in high school where they won 3 straight UAAP titles (or was it 4). If I'm not mistaken, there was a point that Randy was forced to quit for health reasons. Parang he had a similar (but less severe) form of heart problem as Danny Francisco. I think he went to tryout for UP and was a cinch to play if not for the doctor's advice. This is third-hand info from his cousin, but I'd say it's pretty reliable.

Gil_Andrews
10-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Agent 008, you also mentioned Peter Martin. I understand that he also came from Ateneo Grade School. Did he play in the UAAP jrs team? Didn't he play also with the Stags in College?

Bigla na lang yan tumangkad pagdating ng High School and College.

Agent 008
10-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Hi Gil_Andrews...

Peter Martin went to UST for college (pre-med) but moved to another school in the upper years (I guess its SSC). UST is where he started to flourish and grow further in height. He was part of the College of Science basketball team competing in the the inter-college (within UST only) tourneys. I think he was scouted (by SSC) from there.

To answer your other question...No, Peter didn't play in the UAAP juniors. In fact, he was never part of any Ateneo juniors team. But that certainly didn't stop him from reaching for his goals. He is a happily-married family man now too. Another feather in his cap.

bchoter
10-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Yes, Peter Martin played for the Faculty of Science where they were a formidable team then and were always considered as contenders. I think they even won a crown or two. I know some of his teammates then including Vivo Chua, Kenneth Lee, and Roy Chicombing). I managed to play some pick up games against them and we managed to put up a good fight because our team had a few Team B players. Of course, I was bangko then :D. It was unfortunate for him to move and flourish in Baste when UST sure needed his services and help out Bobby Joe. The PBA would later have another player who matriculated in the UST but never got to play varsity there in the person of Aris Dimaunahan.

canmaker
10-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Wang Bu,

Jeck is not an exec with SMC. He has a contract with Alaska now, after being a practice player with Coke. He will hopefully have a chance to play for Alaska when the All-Pinoy conference comes around.

canmaker
10-27-2005, 07:04 PM
By the way, Peter Martin also has another job. He is the team manager of the Magnolia Team in the PBL (formerly Viva).

Out_Of_The_Blue
10-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Welcome Canmaker my friend!

Nice to see you here at gameface.ph.

canmaker
10-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Hey Out, kelan kaya lalabas yung shocking na balita????

allblue
10-28-2005, 12:02 AM
hello!

i see a lot of familiar names here. sali na din ako. hehe.

Rainier Sison is an employee of Ramcar. I believe he was working for this company at the same time that he was playing for Fedex.

BLUE HORSE
10-28-2005, 05:56 AM
There is life away from basketball even for the most hardcore of players.

Jett Nieto - former star of the Ateneo varsity is now a successful medical doctor.

Dominic Uy and Mon Jose - stalwarts of the Lasalle dynasty are now coaches for the Lady Archers

Vince Hizon - former hotshot of Ateneo has become a media celebrity

Jonas Mariano - former RP Youth and Lasalle player became a movie actor for a while

Anyone else who might know what other hoopsters are doing outside of the basketball court?

I understand that Dominic Uy and Mon Jose resigned as coaches for the lady Archers after the season ended. The reason Mon Jose gave was that he was preoccupied by his assistant coaching duties for a PBA team. If the bombshell news do occur, he may be in the mix to become the next head coach. Heh heh heh, kahit malayo nakasagip ng balita!

bchoter
10-28-2005, 10:22 AM
So hindi pa nga tapos ang mga bomba sa taft???

sometimes salvatio
10-28-2005, 05:11 PM
The new DLSU scandal is far from over. Lalo na't hindi nagco-cooperate ang kanilang dalawang inalay na tupa.

Sam Miguel
10-28-2005, 05:12 PM
The new DLSU scandal is far from over. Lalo na't hindi nagco-cooperate ang kanilang dalawang inalay na tupa.

Perhaps we will soon be talking about hoopsters away from hoops but in another court from the way thigns are developing...

BLUE HORSE
10-28-2005, 10:27 PM
If the coach lined himself a high priced lawyer, the family of one of the players according to the Star is also looking to get their own lawyer.* May I suggest to the players family that they should be talking to a couple of lawyers who hang around A.net or in this fora.* The lawfirm is called Salsa, Cackler and Maverick LLP, sorry nakalimutan ko ang mga pangalan ng ibang mga abugado. Gratis daw kapag na-suspend ang LaSalle for 3 years!* *??? ::)* Bwahahaha.

Wang-Bu
10-31-2005, 05:45 PM
May mga abogado dito? Hmm... dapat pala behave lang ako dito at baka mademanda pa ako...

AnthonyServinio
03-08-2006, 05:48 PM
D'Explorer Internet Cafe and Snack Bar opened for business today (March 8, 2006).* It is located along General Capistrano Street in Cagayan de Oro City, Misamis Oriental.

The cafe is owned by Mark Apepe, former star player of the San Beda Red Lions and currently the team captain of the Cagayan de Oro Rapids in the Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association (MVBA).

J.B.
03-09-2006, 01:12 PM
D'Explorer Internet Cafe and Snack Bar opened for business today (March 8, 2006). It is located along General Capistrano Street in Cagayan de Oro City, Misamis Oriental.

The cafe is owned by Mark Apepe, former star player of the San Beda Red Lions and currently the team captain of the Cagayan de Oro Rapids in the Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association (MVBA).

star player??? :o

baka fan favorite ;)

Arjun Cordero- former King Lion who is now working in Megaworld Corporation as a property consultant
You can see him usually in the fort

arhtmahn
03-13-2006, 04:38 PM
A family friend who works at CitiBank was very surprised when a young man (sige na nga, man na lang!) came to her office to have his brand new identification card signed. She looked up from her desk to see Bajjie "babyface" Del Rosario standing in front of her. I think he used to hold a position at ADMU but decided to go corporate. I, however, do not believe the rumor that he was recruited to beef up the collection efforts of delinquent accounts at the credit card department.

Joescoundrel
08-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Gunner Mon Tioseco is with Globe Telecoms and works in the same building as I do.

kaybee07
08-22-2006, 09:40 AM
I heard the Sison twins, Ryan Pamintuan, and Alfred Antonio (all former Eagles) migrated to the United States and are all residing in the west coast. :)

JonarSabilano
08-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Brice Godfried of LSGH and AdMU Team B was also a track-and-field teammate of mine.
He now works at HBC. He drops by on our office to visit his LSGH friends. Last saw a few days after Christmas last year.

Wang-Bu
09-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Si Jun Catalan, dating shooter ng UE nung mga mid-1990's, PE teacher sa San Sebastian Cavite at assistant coach ngayon ng kanilang varsity.

chocoks77
09-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Si Alvin Magpantay nakita ko sa Channel 5 ngayon parang home tv shopping...nagbebenta ng some stove.

Sam Miguel
09-12-2006, 05:53 PM

Sam Miguel
09-12-2006, 06:02 PM
I wonder who among the corporations and companies (excluding current PBA and PBL players and practise players of course) can put together a solid all-star lineup if ever there would be a Metropolitan Corporate Challenge Basketball Tournament?

Also excluded would be guys like the San Miguel All Stars touring team made up of ex-PBA players naturally.

Even without the touring all stars San Miguel would probably still be the team to beat with the likes of Richie Ticson, Art Dela Cruz, Billy Moody, Freddie Abuda and Hector Calma available. PLDT could probably line up Gabby Cui and Paolo Isidro (?). Teletech could line up Jerry Codinera. Alaska could line up Jojo Lastimosa, Jun Reyes and Dickie Bachmann. Harbor Centre could line up Mikee Romero, Gene Afable, Dominic Uy and Matt Makalintal.

chocoks77
05-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Nani Demegillo is a towering figure at Sta. Lucia East Grand Mall. He is a security guard manning the old wing, pedestrian crossing at the side entrance if coming from Robinson's Metro East

BigBlue
06-04-2007, 02:15 PM
^oh, so that's who that tall dude is!! been seeing him around Sta. Lucia for a few years already.

pio_valenz
06-04-2007, 06:28 PM
^Yup, i've seen him several times already. He's a barong-clad security person, indicating he has a high-ranking position in the mall's security force.

LION
06-04-2007, 06:46 PM
^ Must be a DC (detachment commander. Boss tsip ng mga sikyu.

Sam Miguel
06-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Former Team Glory B guard MIGS ESCUETA is now a certified rock star. You can see his giant billboard along EDSA on the northbound side.

Jeez, to think I was actually calling him "Rock Star" up to about a few months ago.

redlion123
06-08-2007, 11:27 AM
former red cub and red lion earl merelos is now with globe
former red lion tim ong-med rep (novartis ata)
former red cub and red lion guiness nabung-ramp model
former red lion allan gabor-4th year LAW student (SAN BEDA LA