PDA

View Full Version : The Look of 69

cackler
09-27-2005, 03:45 PM
How do you think the Teams will "look" in Season 69? What is the direction of their developement? What kinds of Teams do you think they are building?

Will UST be a running team with emphasis on wingmen and putting a premium on mismatches?

Will Adamson be a tattoo gang?

Will DLSU be a tisoy team with Walsham and Marko?

Will Ateneo parade a twin tower?

What do you guys think?

bchoter
09-28-2005, 12:39 PM
More of the same look from UST... and hopefully it will be better.

Jemal will surely make the offense more potent (but not necessarily effective unless he totaly buys in to the system). UST's wing rotation of Jemal, Danny, Jojo, Espiritu, and Ababou could easily match up against any team. Michel Gile, if he comes on board, should be a positive addition to that rotation. The backcourt should be better after one season. Mel Crisostomo can definitely play better than what he's shown. As for the bigs, there are players within the radar of UST but it's too early to tell.

mesmata oba
09-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Ang tingin ko po sa UP talagang Fighting Maroons. Talagang palaban sila kaya siguro sinasabing pisikal sila.

Siguro, next year, para na silang Letran na tigasin sa depensa at grabe sa execution. Kaya naman siguro ito. May magagaling din naman sa Team B nila ngayon.

Sana nga maglaro ulit si David. Pag nagsama sila ni Marvin Cruz, parang ipu-ipo ang opensa. Mabilis ang saksak at nakakagulat and drop pass. Yun ang nakikita ko sa UP. Leader na si Marvin kaya dapat alert ang buong team dahil mabilis ang pasa. Malamang premier point guard na si Marvin next year, kahit si Jonas Villanueva kakainin niya nang buhay. Sana may back up siya na kalmang point guard tapos may shooter na quick release. Ang bagsik ng UP niyan.

Pwede 'yan, kaya 'yan. Hindi naman kasi kailangnang napakatangkad ng sentro. Basta marunong lang gumalaw sa loob tulad ni Gaco noon ng La Salle. Kaya 'yan. ::)

10-03-2005, 05:45 AM
UNITED COLORS OF DE LA SALLE

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Sam Miguel
10-03-2005, 04:00 PM
I fully expect a retooling across the board for all teams in the UAAP for next year. However, major changes will be seen in some of the powers that be. FEU will lose the two cornerstones of their program the last couple of years: Arwind Santos and Mark Isip. Lasalle will lose main man Joseph Yeo. UP will lose practically its entire frontline, as well as guards Jino Ferrer and Marvin Cruz. Ateneo will lose sentinel LA Tenorio.

Teams that should retain their core players from this year include UE (with their JRU recruits all returning), Adamson (Bono, Cabahug, Canuday and Agustin), NU (Asoro is only 19 years old and is expecting major reinforcements at the 4 and 5 spots) and UST (vastly improved Taylor, Ababou and perhaps a returning Vizcara). All told the competition should be better balanced next year.

bchoter
10-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Marvin is leaving? For the pros? I don't think he is ripe enough for the pros especially with the number of veteran PGs without contracts who are either in the PBL or in other leagues.

As for the "look", I think UP will be hardest hit as they will lose practically their entire frontline save for David plus their team B bigs are as raw as they can come.

I would have been very optimistic with UST's season 69 chances except that NU, UE, DLSU, AdU, ADMU will surely improve during the offseason. Here is what I expect from some teams:

1. AdU - will have a more fluid offense with an offseason with the Alas brothers. Canuday should be the closest thing to a Denoks Miranda. Cabahug should become their full-time designated scorer. If he recovers well Agustin should be the third wheel behind Cabahug and Bono. However, Bono may be tempted to go pro if he performs well in the PBL. Pacheco could be their surprise packace next season while Gonzalgo will challenged for minutes in the point. Is there hope for Poloyapoy?
2. ADMU - can they survive the loss of LA? If Bughao plays as advertised then they're at least halfway to filling in LA's big shoes. But, in a way, LA's departure should be good for the Eagles as they should be more inclined to contribute to the offense rather than wait for LA to make things happen. Ken Barracoso should play like a steadying factor, a sort of an anchor for the team, both on offense and defense, Jai should supply the spunk which LA had in abundance, JC Intal should consistently score, while Bughao should do the playmaking chores. With the burden spread among 4-5 players ADMU should no longer breakdown when one player breaks down. But the most glaring improvement should be on the defensive end as this, I think, is coach Norman's forte.
3. FEU - I expect a huge drop-off in FEU's performance next season. They may have 2-3 players ready to play Team A ball but minus coach Coy I don't think they can survive Arwind's, RJ's and Marc's departure. I don't think Jeff Chanc can carry the team.
4. UE -

Mateen Cleaves
10-04-2005, 09:39 AM
...UP will lose practically its entire frontline, as well as guards Jino Ferrer and Marvin Cruz...

Did you mean Axel Doruelo? Marvin Cruz still has 2 years to play. Plus, I doubt if he meets the PBA's minimum age requirements.

speedy
10-04-2005, 03:37 PM
I like the chances more of UST next year especially that Vizcarra is coming back. I was also really impressed with the improvement of Dylan Ababou during the season from a so-so first round to a solid ROY performance in the second round. I hope he gets stronger maybe in the mold of Marvin Ortiguerra that so he can play both forward positions especially knowing that their frontline is a weakness. While for Duncil,in my opinion he is a little on the wild side and has tendency to take bad shots. He also not made a mark on the defensive end.

They have two glaring weaknesses. One is a very weak backcourt especially in the PG position (Cortez, Cuan and Crisistomo) If they can it is still not too late they could still get in the hermida sweepstakes or his teammate guillermo possibly because no one is talking about that guy. Maybe, the Staglet pipeline would also help in the form of Salamat. Another weakness is the frontcourt since Espiritu's departure, no one has step out to take the reigns.

I think Coach Mel should aggresively recruit for next year instead of relying only on try outs and their junior team. I mean come on man, UST can give a run on Ateneo or DLSU's recruits. Also, there was a time that Team B of UST was loaded but right now it seems no one is making waves in there either. UST should recognize that their "four peat championship is over" and it is time to take it to the big guns of college basketball which I say have surpassed them already.

Sam Miguel
10-05-2005, 06:48 PM
...UP will lose practically its entire frontline, as well as guards Jino Ferrer and Marvin Cruz...

Did you mean Axel Doruelo? Marvin Cruz still has 2 years to play. Plus, I doubt if he meets the PBA's minimum age requirements.

Ah yes, Axel Doruelo. Thanks for the heads up Mateen Cleaves.

Is there any news on Jay Agbayani?

green_minded
10-10-2005, 10:38 AM
UE and UST will practically be the same team. 8)

cackler
10-11-2005, 06:19 PM
I suspect the back ups will play a crucial role next year.

At the Center spot:
For DLSU, Walsham will probably relieve Benitez.
For FEU, Nietes will come in after Barcellano as I expect Baraquel to move to the power forward spot.
For UE, maybe Napo will get a lot more playing time after Raymundo.
For UST, i hear Melchor Gile is all set to play after Dizon.
For NU, I am not sure if Howard Flor will have a back up.
For Ateneo, Rabeh Al Hussaini should step up to come after Kramer
For Adamson, i hope Basilio would be in shape to back stop Bono.
For UP, would they have a center? Or is Sison the only choice?

I believe that, to a large extent, the height, heft and speed of the centers would influence the look of each team next year. Walsham is getting into game shape but I am not sure if he will be "fast" enough by Seasopn 69. Nietes really has to step up and so should Napo. Otherwise, with a weakening of defense in the paint, they will be attacked everytime their main center sits down.

I am most excited for UST. I hear Gile is fast and can handle the ball. For Adamson, I just hope their luck holds this time around.

bchoter
10-11-2005, 10:34 PM
If UST plays with the same brand of basketball like this past season, Gile's versatility should be most welcome. I often find Dizon lacking in a lot of aspects of a pivot's game. Foremost of which is his inability to handle short passes. And he's also a turn-over in waiting. He should be a reliever at best. The problem with Gile is he's not a natural pivot. Although this may not matter much as the Tigers play a lot of motion on offense with the big men often pulling outside jumpers while employing a quick-rotating zone defense. These has masked UST's lack in heft Allera and Taylor are 6'5"-6" but probably weigh as muc has the stocky Cuan. Can Jervy Cruz move Taylor to his more natural forward spot? One aspect the Tigers can learn from the Archer's is the ability to avoid getting called for a foul without slacking down on defense. Will a year of exposure earn them the referees' respect? I felt like the Tigers often get the raw end of the deal when it comes to close calls.

For ADMU, can coach Norman Black duplicate his success in Kramer's improved handling of the quick, short passes with Rabeh? And, to some extent, with Japeth? For Kramer, I feel like he can still elevate his game especially if he learns to adjust in mid flight. This was one of Enrico's traits that gave him an edge over other big men and a big part of it is in his confidence with his abilities. Which, I think, Doug is slowly building.

For UE, can Thielle readily come in and contribute? I think Thielle has a more advanced in his footwork compared to Ekwe of Beda. How about the Napo look-a-like (can't remember his name :D)?

For NU, they have this other young center who looks promising. The same type NU always seems to find. I'm not sure if it's Lingao-Lingao.

Although he looks lost this season, I feel like Benitez of DLSU will make a better showing next season.

Sison needs a lot of 'sisoning' :D. Can Astorga play some post? Can't they force Kenneth Robbin for another tour of duty?

Mateen Cleaves
10-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Although he looks lost this season, I feel like Benitez of DLSU will make a better showing next season.

Care to make a bet on that? ;D

Ready or not, I think UP has to put Sison in next year. He can be in the line-up and maybe get spot minutes in the UAAP. At worst, it gets his two-year stint moving so he can be eligible for a PBL stint down the road. Astorga is currently on crutches, but he is not a center. He's more of a Quebral/David type wide-body. 6'3" at best.

BTW, I agree on Lingaolingao. Dandan just needs to work on him about keeping away from ticky-tack fouls.

bchoter
10-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Now we know why he never made any significant improvement in his game. It is not in the lack of talent. Di lang niya ma gets

Wang-Bu
10-18-2005, 06:44 PM
Ang cute naman ng gumawa nito. Mula sa Atenista.Net...

"Lord Atkins, Your Lordship, The Ateneo De Manila is renewing its invitation for your son, Simon, to attend university at our fine institution. In view of recent unfortunate but totally foreseeable developments, we understand your son is looking for an institute of higher learning that will hone his basketball skills, and more importantly, challenge his academic faculties. Ateneo De Manila is just such an institution. With our heritage of unparalleled excellence in both academics and athletics, we have precisely the kind of environment perfect for the total overall development of your Simon. Whilst wrestling with the age-old conundrums of existential philosophy and the modern boggles of business analytics, he will also learn how to perfect his jumpshot and passing on our development ( team. Rest assured that his basketball training shall not interfere with his academic training, since, as per the players and staff of the B Team themselves, there is a 3.00 QPI requirement in order to remain on the team. In this regard we should very much appreciate the opportunity to meet Simon personally and give him a glimpse of the bright future ahead of him at our Loyola Heights campus, where, by the blessings of the Almighty, the air is clean, the trees aplenty, and parking is not a battle of attrition. Sincerely, JOE S COUNDREL, Director, University Communications and Information."

Basta talaga Atenista. Buti na lang taga-U Belt ako.

full battle gear
10-18-2005, 06:46 PM
NU and UST - Strong possiblity that they will no longer have to wait long to chalk up their first victory. Both teams have intact line-ups. If they will be able to maximize the off-season by working on the individual skills of their players, they can pull off some surprises in S69.

Adamson - I have been hearing rumors that Ken Bono will not be suiting up for them next year. Is this true? Sayang naman kung ganun.

Ateneo - The departure of LA is a heavy blow but it looks like they have players in their Team B who can move up to Team A and share backcourt duties with Macky and Jai. Even better if Chris Tiu will be back. I have seen Bughao play and I was impressed. He may not have moves as fancy as LA's but he seems to work hard and is relentless in egging on his teammates.

La Salle - They should still have a formidable team next year with the addition of Batricevic, Brian Ilad and possibly, Simon Atkins. Holdovers Arana and Casio would be veterans by then and can lead this team. The big question is what if they get suspended? Paano na ang recruits nila?

chba_dude
10-21-2005, 02:34 AM
If DLSU gets suspended, the recruits Pumaren announced would be suiting up for them this year just might change their minds.. The recruitment wars will become more interesting.. Maybe even non-UAAP (NCAA) schools might be in the hunt..

chief
10-21-2005, 09:01 AM
If DLSU gets suspended, the recruits Pumaren announced would be suiting up for them this year just might change their minds.. The recruitment wars will become more interesting.. Maybe even non-UAAP (NCAA) schools might be in the hunt..

Hhmmm... probably we may see them in the camps of Letran and San Beda... because of the experienced coaching staff present in both schools. Daym, who doesn't want to play for Louie Alas and Koy Banal.

bchoter
10-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Unless he's a can't miss prospect, I doubt if SBC can still accomodate other players outside of Team B and the cubs. Or pwede rin for next season's Team B ala ADMU. I also think ADMU and DLSU will probably only pick sure fire talents for reasons similar to SBC. UE is a little loaded, too. Alas and AdU will be the unknowns as I'm sure coach Louie will give his brother a hand. Who knows, ina few years time coach Louie Alas will find himself back in AdU again. So I;m hoping (freudian slip? :D) that the recruitment race will be limited to (gasp!) FEU, UP, UST, and NU.

chief
10-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Ahh... I get your point. Probably FEU may get the chunk of the deal being champions and all... Magandang marketing. I just remember Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun, when he was recruiting a few years back, his line was "You play with us, and you'll get the chance to play against the best talents in College basketball" now when he's recruiting, his line is "You play with us, and you'll get the chance to play with the best talents in College basketball".

True enough I guess. Winning the 1999 and 2004 Final Fours is testament enough.

Gil_Andrews
10-25-2005, 05:17 PM
chba/chief, what's the outlook of 69 in the ncaa?

Wang-Bu
10-25-2005, 09:30 PM
chba/chief, what's the outlook of 69 in the ncaa?

Humanda kayong lahat sa Beda: 6'8" Sam Ekwe, 6'7" Eric Sugitan, 6'7" Toto Taupa, 6'6" Mike Galinato, 6'6" Michael Butscher, led by Pong Escobal, joining Yussif Al Jammal and Ogie Menor. (Sori ha, pero sa laki ng mga parating mukhang ang mawawalan ng laro si JR Taganas) Hintayin pa nila sina Kevin Espinosa, Jover Padilla, Kevin Espinosa at (hopefully) si Jon Hermida, windang ang daigdig ng NCAA!

(Sori ha, nakialam na ako at excited talaga ako sa Beda next year)

Ewan ko lang kung sino pang babalik para sa Letran at PCU, pero kung mga isa o dalawa lang mawawala from either school na rotation player tancha ko malakas pa din sila until next year. Alam ko mga dalawang taon pa sina Espinas at Sanz for PCU, same thing for Aban, Aldave and Alcaraz for Letran. JRU magkakaroon ng ilang malalaki para samahan si Floyd Dedicatoria. Ibang team ewan ko lang.

razor
10-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Letran: Will no longer have Alcaraz, Andaya, Rodriguez and a couple more players. They will still have Bautista, Aldave and Aban to lead the team. They got to find help for Pinera to man the slot. Still a contender.

Mapua: The* only team that beat Letran in the elims will be intact next year with Dela Pena and Gonzales leading the Cards; strong contenders for the crown.

SBC: Will have the tallest frontline in the NCAA; lots of scoring option with Menor, Escobal, Aljamal and Gamalinda; plenty of talents from teams A & B plus the Red Cubs such that Koy Banal will have a major problem - deciding who to include in the final 15 man lineup.

PCU: Sanz will be gone. Most of the regulars will be back. Not sure about Espinas (how old is he?). Still hard to beat.

chief
10-26-2005, 02:01 PM
Hey Gil_Andrews!

Next year will be a big year for San Beda, we're hopefully looking for our first finals appearance after the 1997-1998 season of San Beda.

Here's my take:
Letran. Will still be good under the Alas-system, but won't be invincible compared to this year.

PCU. Will still be there, a cinch for the final 4, pero aside from Amparado they would need another guy to man the slot... Yung wings nila are already settled.

MAPUA. Will make it to the finals next year. Dela Peña is sobra sa angas, but he's good that's why Mapua will go places this year.

San Beda. For my beloved alma mater, we will boast of the tallest frontline and the most talented back-court in years... I think we're 10-12 man deep. It's no secret that Pong Escobal is a talented player, I'm not so sure how he'll measure up against Boyet Bautista on how to run a team.... pero that would definitely be his acid test.

SSC. Nanahimik sila, I'm afraid they might pull a surprise, lalo na if they keep their Juniors to go to their Seniors.

JRU. With Dedicatoria and Domangcas leading their charge, they will be short. Bagay recent years naman talagang short ang lineup ng JRU if not for Ken Co-yu-kang last year. But I think they should bring De Vera back, they had a solid plan with De Vera back then...

UPHR. If they'll retain the same set of players, it will be doubly difficult for them to win next year.... may kulang sa team na ito, I just couldn't describe it.

CSB. With Cabatu and Urra leading the charge, they might go places, pero it won't go far... not unless a new recruit is underway... BTW, nanggulat ang mga ito nung 2000 season, we didn't expect their lineup to go 10 deep.

Final take:

It will be a rematch of the 1991 season, SAN BEDA vs MAPUA.... (Why?) Mapua for keeping a very good squad. The only way to go is up, as it is malakas na sila last year. San Beda, a better Menor, Taganas, augmenting Angeles and Aljamal. Not to mention the not so secret weapon Pong Escobal.

bchoter
10-26-2005, 02:29 PM
And what makes that SBC line-up scary is the man on the bench, Koy Banal

gameface_one
11-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Any inside info on how Adamson will shape up next year now that Austria is taking over the coaching helm?

Sam Miguel
11-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Will Perpetual still have Vald Joe and Fritz Bauzon next year? If they do - and given the diluted talent across the board in the NCAA - they'll fight every game but still wind up on the wrong side of a .500 season.

Escobal will indeed be the Lion to watch next year. He will surely test Boyet Bautista as much as Boyet will test him. If Escobal can get his entire team on the same page on the floor, Beda will be golden.

Over at the UAAP, Joe Lipa at UP will make the Maroons a hardfighting unit from opening tip to final buzzer. I only hope Marvin Cruz doesn't give him a heart attack before the first round ends. UP will play tough, defensive ball, and shouls have one heck of a zone-buster halfcourt with Ricky Dandan taking over the finer details(he won't be far behind as long as Da Nose is around).

Leo Austria will have a tough time over at San Marcelino. How will the normally easy-go-lucky Falcons respond to a hard-driving no-bullshit and very technically sound coach?

chief
11-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Although I believe this year was a good falcons year, if not for the crazy turn around in the second round... I like the big guy Ken Bono, he has some solid shooting and a good pivot man... pero I hope makabalik na si Chad Alonso he's the missing link that team...

Agustin and Cabahug are good shooters, but they need a good point guard as well.... Yong, has been doing well, I put him as a good back-up point, not a starting point... So I believe they should get a good point guard.... I hope they get another player of Kenneth Duremdes mold who can dominate in and out... he was a fun player to watch in Adamson back then... if not for their one year suspension, they would've been crowned champions in the '94-'95 season.

canmaker
11-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Chief,

Alonso wasn't able to play this year for AdU because reportedly he had already exceeded the "7 years out of HS" limit. So we won't see him playing for AdU next year either ...

cackler
11-07-2005, 04:54 PM
I heard that Coach Aric is being considered for UST.

Hmmm. Pag nagkataon, kataku takot na murahan ang UP vs UST games.

bchoter
11-07-2005, 08:21 PM
^ Wag naman sana. After watching them execute the motion offense, wag na sanang ibalik ang walang katapusang isolation plays ng mapa wing men from the 3-point area or big men at the post. And the last thing these kids need is to get cursed on cam but with no coherent plays forthcoming.

easter
11-07-2005, 08:54 PM
^ Wag naman sana. After watching them execute the motion offense, wag na sanang ibalik ang walang katapusang isolation plays ng mapa wing men from the 3-point area or big men at the post. And the last thing these kids need is to get cursed on cam but with no coherent plays forthcoming.

I think Nel Parado is actually a good coach with very few complementary material on his arsenal. Is UST getting impatient as well? Wag naman sana. Ateneo has been impatient as we saw a lack of contiuity in the program all these years..

UST played well in the second round, maybe some support to Parado's plans will do wonders to this team.l

chief
11-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Chief,

Alonso wasn't able to play this year for AdU because reportedly he had already exceeded the "7 years out of HS" limit. So we won't see him playing for AdU next year either ...

Oooohhhh... thanks for the info canmaker.

BTW, not to bash at Nel Parado and Dong Vergeire.... but during the time they were coaching San Beda.... that was during my time in school, they usually had a flare for 3 point plays and more one on one moves.... I don't know if the two have transformed from being a one on one and few plays coach to a motion offense coach.....

I remember we used to be called UST team Annex those years because, Coach Dong was an assistant to Coach Aric, and most of our recruits came from UST Team B (Dino Manuel, Jabagat, Bantugan, Jaymar Rivera to name some), of course Dante Barredo came out of UST highschool.

I wish UST back to prominence, they deserve to be on top once again. But I hope Danny Pribdhas to share the ball better. I was watching Kobe last night, spectacular as usual, pero ball hog pa rin... There are some plays na pwede niyang ipasa ang bola but opted to the shot himself... I hope he losses that and play a more LeBron James brand of basketball, I think UST will be fine.

bchoter
11-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Coach Parado and Vergeire now employ more motion that tend to free up their wingmen or, at the very least, end up in a favorable one-on-one situation and not the usual del Rosario era one-on-five plays of Singson, Yee, Francisco, Oreta, Baguio, Gelig, Hubalde, Luanzon, Vizcarra, and Luanzon. Even his big men are a clone of their predecessors. They are so predictable starting with Denis Espino,to Edmund Reyes, to Chris Cantonjos, to Valeriano, to Ortiguerra, to LaO, to Espiritu and up to Jun Dizon. Dino Manuel was also a cut of the same mold.

chief
11-09-2005, 08:54 AM
OT: Speaking of Dino Manuel, he's playing for his hometown in the NBC tournament for Iloilo. He has lost his old flare and dominating basketball sense.... parang he's going through the motions na lang... I don't really know what is wrong, pero I think he lost his 'mojo'.... too bad, he would've been a good PBA material being a mythical member in NC (for 2 seasons?) while playing for beda....

sometimes salvatio
11-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Tungkol sa UST Tigers,

Ano nga ba ulit nangyari kay jemal vizcarra? Inabutan na ba siya ng age limit or ubos na ang playing years?

Kung babalik si vizcarra, pihadong mahihinto panandalian ang development nina Dylan Ababu at Chesthair Taylor. Watchathink?

chba_dude
11-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Ang alam ko kay idol Jemal ay academics ang problema. Verify na lang.

bchoter
11-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Jamal was relegated to Team B for academic reasons daw.

If you base it from his stint with Team B, mukhang he never change his ways. *Dupang pa rin. *Sana lang eh naturuan na sya ng leksiyon on humility...

chief
11-15-2005, 11:18 AM
^ Actually medyo porma pa lang parang mayabang na tao iyon si Jemal... I remember watching UST and NU last 2004, yabang naka-tatlong 3 points, tino-taunt niya yun NU crowd, next game kasi La Salle at UP yata, nandoon kami sa side ng NU.

Tatayo siya sa tapat ng NU crowd tapos, titingin sa lahat ng tao na akala mo kung sino na.... they won because of those 3's kaya sabihin na natin may karapatan.... pero para sa akin, mag-aasta ka na ng ganun kung 4 time MVP ka na sa PBA.

chba_dude
11-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Off-topic:

And this is the reason why mas maganda ang collegiate basketball.. yang angasan, na nakakainis lang pag kalaban nyo ang ganun.. pero kapag from your own player, ok lang.. Hehe.. Basta angasan lang, walang pikon. Kahit sayaw or posing, ok lang. Wag lang batok. Hehe.

chief
11-16-2005, 08:54 AM
^ Bagay may point ka chba, bibihara lang talaga ang mga players na katulad ni Grant Hill na humble maglaro.

Out_Of_The_Blue
11-16-2005, 10:16 PM
^ Actually medyo porma pa lang parang mayabang na tao iyon si Jemal... I remember watching UST and NU last 2004, yabang naka-tatlong 3 points, tino-taunt niya yun NU crowd, next game kasi La Salle at UP yata, nandoon kami sa side ng NU.*

Tatayo siya sa tapat ng NU crowd tapos, titingin sa lahat ng tao na akala mo kung sino na....* they won because of those 3's kaya sabihin na natin may karapatan.... pero para sa akin, mag-aasta ka na ng ganun kung 4 time MVP ka na sa PBA.

This just reminded me of Leo Avenido whenever he played against Ateneo in his last season. Naka-open arms pa na tumitingin sa Ateneo gallery everytime na maka-score siya. Sayang din yung player na yon. He would have been an MVP if he only continued playing. Maagang lang nasilaw sa pera ng PBA.

Meron pang isa, si Joseph Yeo. I remember that FMC game between Ateneo and La Salle about 2 yrs ago I think during the rookie year of Japeth. Hinamon siya ni Migs Solitaria to shoot the three in front of him after Yeo "accidentally" busted his lip. Trashtalking sila pareho. In the end, La Salle won by more than 20 points - Yeo hit 5 consecutive 3 pt shot in the last quarter all of them in front of Miggy. Everytime siya maka -shoot ng three, pinagtatawanan niya si Miggy at ang buong Ateneo gallery.

cackler
01-15-2006, 04:19 PM
I have been gone for a while and, after reading the posts in the various fora, I see interest generated by two teams: The UST Tigers and The UP Maroons.

I hear Ramil Cruz is on board to help Coach Joe Lipa. Would it be fair to say that UP will develope hard post plays with kick out options? I wonder if UP would have a slew of consistent outside threats. I am excited at the prospect of a UP Team so disciplined both in offense and defense. UP should be deadly once they swing the ball to the weak side.

On the other hand, UST seems to be very tall and athletic on the wings, something Coach Koy exploited during his title run. I wonder if the coaching situation in UST will allow the Tiger talent to shine. Taylor, Ababou, Duncil, Gile and a solid point running together seems to be a scary sight. There will be mismatches in so many positions in terms of height and speed. The Tigers will be killers on the secondary break. I wonder if UST is developing a reliable defense of its own.

It would be folly to simply dismiss both these teams as being in the rebuilding stage. They should pull a couple of surprises down the line. A Final Four appearance for either team would not be far fetched.

Ateneo seems hell bent on its combo guard combinations while UE is working hard on its quick passing.

For Season 69, the word seems to be: "Watch The Mismatch!"

green_minded
01-15-2006, 05:17 PM
for me it will be UE against the rest of the league. i cant pinpoint who will be # 2, 3, and 4. final four would be feu, admu, and ust (if dlsu wont play in 69). 8)

bigfreeze_bibby
01-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Is it true that Pido Jarencio now is UST's head coach?

gameface_one
01-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Is it true that Pido Jarencio now is UST's head coach?

Yup. It's in the news already. Here is one article:

Jarencio to coach Tigers
The Philippine Star 01/27/2006

Alfredo "Pido" Jarencio, among the greatest players ever produced by University of Santo Tomas, has been tapped to call the shots for the UST Tigers in the coming UAAP season.

A reliable source said Jarencio, best remembered for his classic rivalry with University of the East’s Allan Caidic in the UAAP in the early 80s, takes the rein at UST as soon as current coach Arnel Prado’s contract expires on Feb. 15.

Jarencio was spotted at the UST gym yesterday morning sealing a deal with Fr. Ermito de Sagun, director of the UST School of Physical Education and Athletics.

The STAR source said the formal appointment will come from UST rector Fr. Tamer Lana in the next few days.

Jarencio, 41, will take over from Prado under whom the Tigers had mediocre showing the last two UAAP seasons.

The Tigers, who had a remarkable run of four championships in the 90s with future pros Dennis Espino, Rey Evangelista, Edmund Reyes, Siot Tanquingcen, Bal David, Chris Cantonjos and Udoy Belmonte as players under coach Aric del Rosario, finished seventh in 2004 and sixth in 2005. They won only six games each in both seasons.

Jarencio has no previous coaching experience to talk about since he’s still a part of the touring San Miguel All Star squad until the offer to coach UST came.

All his major contemporaries in his UAAP playing days have gone into coaching, including UE’s Caidic, Boyzie Zamar and George Ella, Ateneo’s Chot Reyes, FEU’s Glenn Capacio and Harmon Codiñera, UP’s Eric Altamirano, Ronnie Magsanoc, Ricky Dandan and Raymond Celis, Adamson’s Louie Alas, and La Salle’s Franz Pumaren and Tonichi Yturri.

While still playing with UST, Jarencio was taken in by coach Ron Jacobs to play with the national team alongside Caidic, Pumaren, Yturri, Jerry Codiñera, Samboy Lim, Elmer Reyes, Yves Dignadice and Hector Calma among others. — Nelson Beltran

bchoter
01-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Pido was one of the first to be offered by UST when coach Aric left. However, he didn't accept the job due to the paltry offer. Same with another former Tiger Benet Palad.

I hope he'll do a better job but with the Tigers because if his "coaching" stint in the minor leagues are to be the gauge then we're in for a looooong season. That plus his style of play. I'm sure Jemal Vizcarra is rejoicing right now.

bchoter
01-27-2006, 02:41 PM
I tried calling up Fr. Lana's (Sec. Gen's) office but they denied the story. I did the same with the Rector's office. Same response. I will try to call IPEA and let's see what will come out of Fr. de Sagun's office.

father_martin
01-27-2006, 04:01 PM
I tried calling up Fr. Lana's (Sec. Gen's) office but they denied the story. I did the same with the Rector's office. Same response. I will try to call IPEA and let's see what will come out of Fr. de Sagun's office.

isang mapayapang pagbati po sa inyong lahat mga kapatid sa pananampalataya. ang sa akin ay hindi muna ako nagpadala sa mga ugong ugong na si brother Pido dido na daw ang bagong kots ng UST. kaya humingi agad ako ng sayn sa itaas para patotohanan nga ang mga hakahaka. sabi ko "LOrd, pwede bang bigyan nyo ako ng isang sayn lang kung sino talaga ang magiging kots ng UST ngayon taon". syempre hindi mo pwedeng paghintayin si Lord kaya dugtong ko pa " Lord pwede ba kahit yong aso na lang ng kapitbahay namin. pag dumapo ang langaw sa kaliwang tainga si pido dido nga. at kung sa kanan naman si del rosario uli". alam nyo kung saan dumapo ang langaw? sa kanang butas ng ilong kaya malamang si Lester ang magiging kots.

bchoter
01-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Ayon sa mga ugung-ugong sa campus the Lesser, este, Lester del Rosario nga daw ang napupusuan ng mga kaparian.

Hay naku... hanggang saan itong pagdadalamhati sa Espana?

bigfreeze_bibby
01-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Ayon sa mga ugung-ugong sa campus the Lesser, este, Lester del Rosario nga daw ang napupusuan ng mga kaparian.

Hay naku... hanggang saan itong pagdadalamhati sa Espana?

What the F? Si Lester? Ano na ba nangyayari sa UST? Or baka naman miron lang si Lester nyan, ang dad pa rin ang nasa likod niya doing the coaching work.

vannnesssa
02-24-2006, 12:00 PM
I wish UST back to prominence, they deserve to be on top once again. But I hope Danny Pribdhas to share the ball better. I was watching Kobe last night, spectacular as usual, pero ball hog pa rin... There are some plays na pwede niyang ipasa ang bola but opted to the shot himself... I hope he losses that and play a more LeBron James brand of basketball, I think UST will be fine.

Danny Pribhdas isn't part of the UST Tigers anymore this coming season. Wala na sila ni De Guzman...

DREDD
02-24-2006, 12:30 PM

Danny Pribhdas isn't part of the UST Tigers anymore this coming season. Wala na sila ni De Guzman...

GRADUATE NA BA SILA?

Wang-Bu
02-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Mukhang former King Staglet Eric Salamat is going to Ateneo. Magaling si Salamat. Kung wala siya hindi magcha-champion sa Juniors ang 'Baste, do anything siya at hindi mayabang. Ang tanong na lang diyan: Anong position niya sa Ateneo? Kasi sanay siyang mag-3, sometimes mag-2, pero medyo malayo pa sa katotohanan ang magiging gwardiya niya. Marunong siyang magdala ng bola at marunong siyang mag-drive and draw or drive and finish strong, pero sa Junior level 'yon. Ni hindi man lang siya aabot ng 6-feet, payat pa. So is he being groomed to be a Chris Tiu-type na combo guard? Ewan ko lang, pero duda ako sa kakayanan niyang gampanan ang ganung role, wala siyang guard mentality, tsaka nasanay siyang nagdo-dominate ng bola sa 'Baste, how effective will he be as a distributor or outside option? Ganun kasing kailangan ng Ateneo sa isang gwardiya, kaya nga hinugot nila si Bughao at hindi nila pinapakawalan si Tiu.

Gil_Andrews
02-25-2006, 05:35 PM
True, Salamat is often seen with Ateneo but he's not yet a "shoo-in" for the Team. Wala pang sigurado. We will know in finality by July ang line-up.

bchoter
03-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Teams that should retain their core players from this year include ... Adamson (Bono, Cabahug, Canuday and Agustin)...
There may be a few months between now and the official start of Season 69 but this early AdU is moving on without JR Reyes, err... Kenneth Bono.

altru_13
03-20-2006, 02:26 PM
I think National University Bulldogs will stun the unbelievers....The bulldogs are dead tired of being the whipping boys in the post Ildefonso era... watch out guys.... NU will emerge as one of the title contenders in the 69th season... im not an Nu associate... im just a clairvoyant NCAA and UAAP expectator.... my batting average???? .750....Believe you me...

jancarlo
03-21-2006, 12:27 AM
^NU? Pwede rin. :) Walang gagraduate sa kanila tapos may Asoro sila.

Gil_Andrews
03-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Ateneo has already trimmed down the candidates for the Varsity Team to 24. Surprises galore! You will see all of them right after Holy week and in the coming Fr. Martin Cup.

AnthonyServinio
03-22-2006, 11:15 AM
^NU? Pwede rin. :) Walang gagraduate sa kanila tapos may Asoro sila.
Cesar Estolano told me that he plans to leave National and transfer to Jose Rizal.* Rocky Sanchez may also go the same path, but not necessarily to Jose Rizal, maybe another school.

Both Bulldogs are currently seeing action for the Cagayan de Oro Rapids in the Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association (MVBA).

vannnesssa
03-23-2006, 08:00 PM

GRADUATE NA BA SILA?

erm... not sure. Pero they are in their last year na po sa academic year nila. Si De Guzman, kahit ala na sa Tigers, nakikita ko pa din sa gym na naka-sports attire. Nakkpgtraining ata...

Mhel_Garrido
03-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Well the FMC will surely be fun since we will see the preparations of the 8 uAAP teams. I believe the top four will be UE, Ateneo, Adamson & FEU ( in no order) NU can produce lots of surprises while UP & UST will surely make a run for the F4. DLSU, no comment muna till the board has a ruling on their team.

UE remains solid and is poised to win it all. Ateneo will be there, if the team comes out with a solid leader and consistency they can go back to the finals. Adamson is just needing a break out year, specially now that Ken Bono has proven that he is "the Man!" FEU is and will always be a strong contender no matter what.

Sana july na para UAAP season na. Pero in the meantime i just have to console myself and watch these teams in the FMC.

bchoter
03-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Well the FMC will surely be fun since we will see the preparations of the 8 uAAP teams. I believe the top four will be UE, Ateneo, Adamson & FEU ( in no order) NU can produce lots of surprises while UP & UST will surely make a run for the F4. DLSU, no comment muna till the board has a ruling on their team.

UE remains solid and is poised to win it all. Ateneo will be there, if the team comes out with a solid leader and consistency they can go back to the finals. Adamson is just needing a break out year, specially now that Ken Bono has proven that he is "the Man!"* FEU is and will always be a strong contender no matter what.

Sana july na para UAAP season na. Pero in the meantime i just have to console myself and watch these teams in the FMC.
It may still be too but word is Ken Bono is not too keen in returning to the Falcons. "Lumobo ang ulo" according to somebody in the team. I think it is just groing in proportion to his body :D

5FootCarrot
03-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Hmm. On the other hand, there are also rumors floating that Bono was given an ultimatum to trim down or be cut from the Falcons.

green_minded
03-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Hmm. On the other hand, there are also rumors floating that Bono was given an ultimatum to trim down or be cut from the Falcons.

I doubt if they could ship out a good player like Bono. He is playing great in the PBL nowadyas despite that frame. 8)

MonL
03-30-2006, 08:48 PM

I doubt if they could ship out a good player like Bono. He is playing great in the PBL nowadyas despite that frame.* 8)

Sana inversely proportional ang kaniyang production sa kaniyang timbang....who knows how he would be , 40 pounds lighter?

5FootCarrot
03-31-2006, 08:09 AM
I didn't say anything about the effect of Ken Bono's bulk on his production because I haven't been watching PBL and frankly don't remember anything about how he played in the past UAAP season. So I'm glad to hear that he's still putting on a good show in the PBL, because from what I remember, Bono was highly-recruited coming out of high school (so good, in fact, that even DLSU took notice of him).

But I think it would be best if he made an effort to trim down, even only slightly. It would be interesting to see, as MonL has pointed out, how he would perform if he were 40 pounds lighter. Maybe it would have an effect on his speed at the very least.

Kid Cubao
03-31-2006, 09:31 AM
ken bono was ordered by new coach leo austria to shed at least 30 pounds off his current weight because he was, in his assessment, the BIG LIABILITY in last season's campaign of the adamson falcons. because of his excess baggage, bono can only play in brief stretches before fatigue sets in and takes hold of his basketball judgment especially on defense. you see, a poorly-conditioned player commits those mental blunders that drive coaches nuts and toward early retirement. it goes without saying too that he can't keep up with the more agile big men in the UAAP. second, he's become a lumbering presence on offense who refuses to mix it up for the offensive putbacks, content instead to score from the outside. he was such a liability that jojo hate had to take up his scoring slack, especially inside the paint.

what leo austria has in mind is an uptempo approach because his players have the quickness, athleticism, and the length to go all out every game. well, all of them--except ken bono. if he doesn't shape up, he'll be reduced to a luxury the adamson falcons can ill afford.

on the other hand, in his PBL ballclub, ken bono has the benefit of having at least three big men to act as cleanup, thereby allowing him to pick his spots around the perimeter.

jared19
04-08-2006, 10:12 PM
ken bono was ordered by new coach leo austria to shed at least 30 pounds off his current weight because he was, in his assessment, the BIG LIABILITY in last season's campaign of the adamson falcons. because of his excess baggage, bono can only play in brief stretches before fatigue sets in and takes hold of his basketball judgment especially on defense. you see, a poorly-conditioned player commits those mental blunders that drive coaches nuts and toward early retirement. it goes without saying too that he can't keep up with the more agile big men in the UAAP. second, he's become a lumbering presence on offense who refuses to mix it up for the offensive putbacks, content instead to score from the outside.* he was such a liability that jojo hate had to take up his scoring slack, especially inside the paint.

what leo austria has in mind is an uptempo approach because his players have the quickness, athleticism, and the length to go all out every game. well, all of them--except ken bono. if he doesn't shape up, he'll be reduced to a luxury the adamson falcons can ill afford.

on the other hand, in his PBL ballclub, ken bono has the benefit of having at least three big men to act as cleanup, thereby allowing him to pick his spots around the perimeter.

agree ako! dahil nakakailang balik lang sa court hingal na agad!....sino kawawa? siya dahil masisira laro niya dahil sobrang pagod na nga!

Mhel_Garrido
04-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Hmm Medyo tamad lang ako magbasa ng thread, just want to know kung kelan ang opening ng UAAP?
can anyone post it here.
Thanks

5FootCarrot
04-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Mr. Mhel, I'm not sure but it's either July 8 or July 15. :)

jancarlo
04-10-2006, 06:12 PM
JULY 8:
Opening, ADMU vs. NU
JULY 9:
UE vs. ADU, UST vs. UP

OR

JULY 8:
Opening, UST vs. NU, ADMU vs. UP
JULY 9:
DLSU vs. ADU, FEU vs. UE

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

jared19
04-11-2006, 09:58 AM
wow nice may uaap schedules na nga!haha

Howard the Duck
04-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Here are my rankings:

1. UE - The title is theirs to lose. But I don't know if Dindo can take them all the way.
2. Ateneo - Still many holdovers. But as with UE, I dunno if Coach Black can deliver.
3. FEU - Villanueva and Chan will lead the charge. But can they win without Santos?
4. La Salle - Hey even with Arana the Dancing King is gone, Casio and the DLSZ boys can deliver the goods. But with a new coach it may be difficult. And also, if they're still in Season 69.
5. UST - Pido as a coach? As long he makes em shoot treys and FTs perfectly then it'll be fine. I hope.
6. NU - Fernandez and Asoro will lead the charge. I see them as the underdogs (pun intended) of season 69.
7. UP - Now here's the catch...if the DLSZ boys go to UP, the Maroons will have a chance at the Final 4, even for the Championship next year. But as of now it'll be another adjustment year.
8. Adamson - The chances of Adamson is inversely proportional to Bono's weight :p

5FootCarrot
05-25-2006, 08:23 AM
OK, so this has nothing to do with the teams and their projected standings or whatnot, but this still has something to do with the coming season so I'm posting it here.

Word on the street is that most of the UAAP games - at least in the first round - will be held in the Ninoy Aquino Stadium (is that what it's called?). What are the good places nearby to eat or hang out?

MonL
05-25-2006, 09:01 AM
OK, so this has nothing to do with the teams and their projected standings or whatnot, but this still has something to do with the coming season so I'm posting it here.

Word on the street is that most of the UAAP games - at least in the first round - will be held in the Ninoy Aquino Stadium (is that what it's called?). What are the good places nearby to eat or hang out?

Well, it's right across the Harrison Plaza Plaza mall. Lots of regular fastfood/greasy spoon joints, and a good restaurant or two inside. Ample parking too. Then there's Century Park Sheraton Hotel right beside it if you want something more'n that and will want to pay for the ambience.*Er, amb'yans. ;D

LION
05-25-2006, 09:09 AM
^ I'm interested about the "something more'n that" you mentioned. What exactly is that? :)

MonL
05-25-2006, 09:14 AM
^ I'm interested about the "something more'n that" you mentioned.* What exactly is that?* *:)

'La lang. Lobby entertainment, better than usual food and service......a cooler place to hang out. But I've not been there for a long time but that's what I remember it for. A-a-aaaaaaah....(with a wave of the finger ala Mutombo) ;D

bchoter
05-25-2006, 10:12 AM
^ There is this stall near Miss U which offers a reasonably priced inihaws. How reasonable are the prices? The double-parked taxi cabs are a sure giveaway.

Of course this is Pasay City so you can expect "something more'n that".

For those interested in bikes there are bike stores nearby that can rival the Quiapo stores in price and product line. A little bit more pricey but of good quality.

There are also an area for those peddling ornamental plans :D

And there are those peddling "more'n that"

LION
05-25-2006, 10:36 AM
^ Ok mukhang ibang hardcore na ang pinag uusapan natin hehehe. :) kasi naman yung title ng thread e.

5FootCarrot
05-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Kindly cease and desist now, gentlemen, before you make me sorry that I asked.

EDITED TO ADD (to steer the discussion back in the direction in which it was intended): A few of us northerners were also wondering whether Mall of Asia is anywhere near Ninoy Aquino Stadium. My guess is it's quite far. Where the heck is Mall of Asia exactly?

MonL
05-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Kindly cease and desist now, gentlemen, before you make me sorry that I asked.

EDITED TO ADD (to steer the discussion back in the direction in which it was intended): A few of us northerners were also wondering whether Mall of Asia is anywhere near Ninoy Aquino Stadium. My guess is it's quite far. Where the heck is Mall of Asia exactly?

It's in the reclamation area, along Roxas Blvd. Quite far from NAMC. Closer to Baclaran than the Stadium. A quick drive, though. Can't miss it. It's the only large structure there.

LION
05-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Carrot,

Take EDSA, go straight until you cross over Taft and then Roxas Boulevard, just go straight still and you will see the mall from there. *You won't miss it.

bchoter
05-26-2006, 11:24 AM
My bad. I took NAS for Cuneta Astrodome. I guess the pain of losing to DLSU still lingers whenever a venue in Pasay is mentioned.

Anyway, just the same, the venue is friendly for bike enthusiasts as you the CCP complex is just a Pinoy ride away. Perhaps we can find inday and brosia together with Joseph Pack Yeo in the bike lines.

Kid Cubao
05-26-2006, 01:07 PM
NAS is inside the rizal memorial sports complex. cuneta astrodome is a stone's throw away from dahlia motel, if i'm not mistaken :)

atenean_blooded
05-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Ang pangit naman ng napiling venue.

admuhs_upengg
05-31-2006, 10:59 PM
Ang pangit naman ng napiling venue.

I agree, parking is practically non-existent.

francis_arnaiz
06-01-2006, 11:18 PM
parking is actually ok in harrison plaza. NAS is just a 5minute walk. and there are a lot of interesting people in the HP parking lot also...esp around 10pm onwards

gameface_one
06-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Warriors, Falcons kick off UAAP cage wars

The Philippine Star 06/02/2006

Host University of the East (UE) puts its mettle to test immediately on the July 8 opening of Season 69 of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) when the Red Warriors take on the Soaring Falcons of Adamson U at the Araneta Coliseum.

The Red Warriors-Falcons match is set at 2 p.m. immediately after the hour-long opening ceremony prepared by host UE. The day’s other match pits Ateneo against National U at 2 p.m.

UE was fourth in Season 68 where it won 10 of its 14 elimination matches–and eventually wound up third for the season after the semifinals–while Adamson was seventh with 3-11.

Defending champion Far Eastern University drew an opening-day bye in the seven-team men’s basketball tournament and will only show its stuff on July 15 against UE at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium.

Except for the opener and probably the last day of the eliminations, men’s and a few juniors basketball matches will be played at the newly-refurbished and air-conditioned Ninoy Aquino Stadium. Some games will be played at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum, according to Season 69 secretary-treasurer Rolando Perez of host UE.

Also for Season 69, league president Luz Sta. Ana announced a home-and-away format for the juniors and women’s basketball matches and revealed the holding of beach volleyball as a demonstration sport set in the middle of the first semester.

Another innovation is the scheduling of the volleyball tournament for the second semester of Season 69. The women’s volleyball games will be aired over Studio 23.

In lieu of the volleyball games, the UAAP has moved competitions in judo and taekwondo from the second semester to the first semester.

The FEU Tamaraws swept its race-to-two finals against De La Salle, which would be serving a year’s suspension this season. The Tamaraws topped last year’s eliminations with 12 wins and two losses, while De La Salle and Ateneo had the same 10-4 records as UE.

University of the Philippines, now mentored by the comebacking Joe Lipa, was fifth in Season 68 with 6-8, followed by Santo Tomas U with 4-10, Adamson and NU with 1-13.

atenean_blooded
06-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Mga kachismax, ilang araw na lang ba bago mag Season 69?

Mag-COUNTDOWN na tayo! ;D

bchoter
06-02-2006, 02:01 PM
^ Sana lang wag yung makamandag na COUNTDOWN... yun bang pataas...

augustine
06-03-2006, 07:03 PM
parking is actually ok in harrison plaza. NAS is just a 5minute walk. and there are a lot of interesting people in the HP parking lot also...esp around 10pm onwards

More details please ... what do you mean by interesting??

francis_arnaiz
06-04-2006, 12:12 PM
i think the moderator here is OC kind of strict to off-topic replies. but this is a free country. hehe. basta, let's just say that hindi masyadong wholesome pero mag-eenjoy ka if you're game

Mateen Cleaves
06-04-2006, 01:23 PM
I agree, parking is practically non-existent.

Problema lang naman ang parking... sa may kotse e. ;D

Actually, for Thursday games, parking might be better in Manila than in Loyola. Daming kasabay na sundo from AGS.

atenean_blooded
06-04-2006, 10:26 PM
PANGIT YUNG NAPILING VENUE!

PANGIT!

Lucas Palaka
06-05-2006, 11:37 AM
puso mo :p

bchoter
06-05-2006, 12:23 PM
I think holding games closer to ubelt will make for a better attended games then holding them in Araneta and BEG. For the Ateneo and the host crowd venue is irrelevant. However, FEU, UE, UST, NU, and, most especially, the AdU crowd are more likely to attend their school's games at NAS/RMC than at Loyola. A big chunk of the UP crowd will watch their games against ADMU no matter what but are passive against other teams no matter what :D

atenean_blooded
06-05-2006, 08:27 PM
These are perhaps weekend games. What's pretty clear is that a number of schools actually require their students to watch the games as partial fulfillment of their PE requirements.

gameface_one
06-07-2006, 08:26 AM
UAAP board ensures scandal-free season

The Philippine Star 06/07/2006

The UAAP has asked registrars of the participating schools to validate the records of all their student-athletes to spare the league from the controversy that marred last year’s edition and led to the suspension of De La Salle.

Luz Sta. Ana, the new UAAP board president, said she would help ensure that there are no scandals surrounding player eligibilities would break out this season.

"I have already advised the different school registrars to authenticate the records of all their student athletes. That is their duty. And if they do that, we’ll have no problem," said Sta. Ana during the weekly PSA Forum at the Pantalan Restaurant in Manila yesterday.

At the same time, newly- appointed commissioner Elmer Yanga also vowed to promote a "fair and just" officiating in the 69th season of the UAAP league.

"That’s my mandate. And we will do our best to see to it that there is fair and just officiating during the games," said Yanga.

The amiable former RFM Corp. official and a prominent basketball figure in the country, was chosen by host University of the East to serve as league commissioner.

A scandal involving La Salle marred the previous season when the Green Archers admitted fielding two ineligible players in 2004, the year they won the championship.

La Salle returned the trophy to the UAAP but, despite its admission, was still slapped a one-year ban on all sports this year, leaving only seven teams competing.

UE’s Bren Perez, the UAAP treasurer, however, clarified that La Salle is still part of the UAAP and, in fact, will be represented when the league raises its curtains on July 8 at the Araneta Coliseum.

"La Salle is only suspended. It is still part of the UAAP family. The La Salle flag will still be up there during the games," he said.

Seeing action in the opening day are UE against Adamson and National University against Ateneo. On July 9, it will be Santo Tomas against State U.

Elimination round matches are scheduled at the historic Rizal Memorial Coliseum and the Ninoy Aquino Stadium. A couple of games are also being scheduled at the Astrodome. — Abac Cordero

gameface_one
06-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Screening tight for new UAAP season

First posted 02:37am (Mla time) June 07, 2006
By Jasmine W. Payo
Inquirer

Editor's Note: Published on page A27 of the June 7, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

AFTER a season of scandals, implementing stricter eligibility rules will be among the main agenda of league officials on the 69th edition of the University Athletics Association of the Philippines (UAAP).

“Life has to go on, we have to make the best that we can out of it even without La Salle,” said league president Luz Sta. Ana of host University of the East at the PSA Forum yesterday at the Pantalan Restaurant in Manila.

“Eligibility (screening) will be stricter than before so we won’t have similar problems,” added Sta. Ana. “The school themselves, it’s also their duty to authenticate (school records).”

De La Salle University will be serving a one-year suspension in all sports for fielding two ineligible basketball players in the last three seasons.

The university, however, protested the severity of the penalty and sought clarification from league officials last April 27.

“That’s already final, we’re already preparing for the next season,” said Sta. Ana during the public sports program sponsored by Red Bull and Manila Mayor Lito Atienza.

“La Salle is just suspended, but they’re still part of the family,” said UAAP secretary-treasurer Rolando Perez. “Their school flag will still be there in the opening ceremonies.”

UAAP commissioner Elmer Yanga and assistant Ato Badolato also vowed a more effective officiating after several game protests cropped up last year.

“We’ll do our best to ensure that there will be fair and just officiating,” said Yanga.

atenean_blooded
06-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Screening must be uber tight.

I mean, the dog who bit the railing in today's game couldn't have possibly gotten in, right?

pokpok
06-09-2006, 03:27 PM
talagang maingay ka BAKLA!!!

full battle gear
06-09-2006, 03:35 PM
pokpok, we don't tolerate name-calling here. Feel free to disagree with anyone here in an intelligent and respectful manner. Consider this a first warning.

Mel
06-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Sana talaga scandal free na season 69...
...to pursue this, pwedeng ganito tagline ng studio 23

UAAP...Benign in 69

shyboy
06-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Sana talaga scandal free na season 69...

To begin with, the number alone makes it difficult. ::)

gameface_one
06-10-2006, 09:13 AM
New attraction in UAAP Season 69
mb.com.ph

SEASON 69 of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) promises to be as exhilarating as the past editions of the country’s premier collegiate league.

Yes, even without La Salle.

"We do admit that La Salle’s suspension left a huge impact on the league. But we have to move on. We’ll just try to overcome it and make the coming UAAP season as competitive as possible," said UAAP President Luz Sta. Ana of host University of the East in yesterday’s weekly session of the SCOOP sa Kamayan in Padre Faura, Manila.

UAAP Secretary-Treasurer Bren Perez, also UE Athletic Director; Basketball Commissioner Elmer Yanga, Deputy Commissioner Ato Badolato and Coaches Norman Black (Ateneo), Dindo Pumaren (UE), Pido Jarencio (UST), Leo Austria (Adamson) and Ramil Cruz (representing coach Joe Lipa of UP) likewise shared the same view that La Salle’s absence left a big void as far as the 2006 season is concerned — both in terms of competition and gate attendance.

But all of them agreed that the non-presence of the Taft-based school could work wonders too, for the UAAP.

"There’s no denying that the La Salle-Ateneo rivalry is the UAAP’s biggest attraction. But without La Salle, I guess it’s time for the league to build a new rivalry," said Black.

"With La Salle not being there, I think we should start looking at the other teams," Pumaren said for his part.

The UAAP Board meted a one-year suspension on La Salle two months ago for using two ineligible players in the past two seasons of the league.

Looming big as season 69’s probable attraction in men’s basketball is Ateneo and UE, both of which have been highly rated by most of the coaches who appeared in the ACCEL-sponsored session.

"I like an Ateneo-UE match since both teams are competitive," admitted Black.

Both the Warriors and Eagles reached the Final Four last year, but we’re disposed by the Archers and defending champion Tamaraws, respectively.

Black, in his second year as Ateneo mentor, said most of his concerns this year centers on UE and FEU.

"UE has a good team last year and the scary part of it is that everybody will be back this season," said the Blue Eagles coach, one of the winningest mentors in the history of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

"And while Arwind Santos and Mark Isip will no longer be playing, FEU remains a contender because they always keep a strong team B," he added.

Austria, making his debut as Adamson coach, gets the initial shot against the Warriors as his Falcons clash with the Recto-based squad on opening day (July 8) at the Araneta Coliseum. The Blue Eagles then take on the National U Bulldogs in the second game.

gameface_one
06-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Show goes on without La Salle

The Philippine Star 06/10/2006

Even without De La Salle, Season 69 of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) promises to be as exciting as the past editions of the country’s premiere collegiate league.

"We do admit that La Salle’s suspension left a huge impact on the league. But we have to move on. We’ll just try to overcome it and make the coming UAAP season as competitive as possible," said league president Luz Sta. Ana of host University of the East in yesterday’s weekly session of the SCOOP sa Kamayan in Padre Faura, Manila.

UAAP secretary-treasurer Bren Perez, also athletic director of UE, basketball commissioner Elmer Yanga, deputy commissioner Ato Badolato and coaches Norman Black (Ateneo), Dindo Pumaren (UE), Pido Jarencio (Santo Tomas), Leo Austria (Adamson) and Ramil Cruz (representing coach Joe Lipa of UP) likewise shared the same view that La Salle’s absence left a big void as far as the 2006 season is concerned — both in terms of competition and gate attendance.

But all of them agreed that the non-presence of the Taft-based school could work wonders too, for the UAAP.

"There’s no denying that the La Salle-Ateneo rivalry is the UAAP’s biggest attraction. But without La Salle, I guess it’s time for the league to build a new rivalry," said Black.

"With La Salle not being there, I think we should start looking at the other teams," Pumaren said for his part.

The UAAP Board meted a one-year suspension on La Salle two months ago for using two ineligible players in the past two seasons of the league.

Looming big as season 69’s probable attraction in men’s basketball is Ateneo and UE, both of which have been highly rated by most of the coaches who appeared in the ACCEL sponsored session.

"I like an Ateneo-UE match since both teams are competitive," admitted Black.

Both the Warriors and Eagles reached the Final Four last year, but we’re disposed by the Archers and defending champion Tamaraws, respectively.

Black, in his second year as Ateneo mentor, said most of his concerns this year centers on UE and FEU.

"UE has a good team last year and the scary part of it is that everybody will be back this season," said the Blue Eagles coach, one of the winningest mentors in the history of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

"And while Arwind Santos and Mark Isip will no longer be playing, FEU remains a contender because they always keep a strong team B," he added.

gameface_one
06-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Busy UAAP Season 69
mb.com.ph

AFTER BASKETBALL, chess is next to uwrap in Season 69 of the Universities Athletic of the Philippines (UAAP) as it gets going in August.

September will be a busy month for the league with the conduct of competitions in four other sports and the demonstration sport of beach volleyball.

UAAP Season 69 President Luz Sta. Ana said UE will again host chess at the school’s Briefing Room in its Manila campus, even as judo and taekwondo take centerstage in September as replacements for volleyball which was moved to the second semester to give way to the women’s matches’ television coverage.

Ateneo hosts judo while University of Santo Tomas, which is seeking to repeat as general champion, hosts taekwondo.

University of the Philippines hosts table tennis also in September, the same thing with swimming, which the State University is holding anew at the Rizal Memorial Pool.

Beach volleyball comes into the UAAP as a demonstration sport in September and season host UE wants to hold the matches at the UE Kalookan and UST campuses.

Second semester action in Season 69, according to secretary treasurer Rolando Perez also of UE, gets going in November with competitions in athletics, baseball, football, lawn tennis, softball and volleyball for seniors and high school divisions.

Badminton and fencing will commence in January.

Basketball kicks off the season on July 8 at the Araneta Coliseum, but most of the regular men’s games will be played at the newly-refurbished and air-conditioned Ninoy Aquino Stadium inside the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex.

Howard the Duck
06-16-2006, 06:26 PM
IMHO ang beach volley dapat tuwing summer months, pumili ang UAAP among these months: late Feb., March or even early April

pio_valenz
06-21-2006, 09:37 PM
SInce NU has no official thread, I thought I'd post this here:

I took a trip earlier today to faraway Tinga gym in Taguig, literally a stone's throw away from Laguna de Bay, to catch NU battle PCU for third place in the Olympic Whatever Basketball Tournament, and all I can say is, don't sell this team short. They nearly beat PCU, NCAA runners-up last year. In fact, NU led by as many as 15 points in the first half before Gabby Espinas took over the game. Edwin Asoro is looking pretty sharp, and Espinas had trouble with him in the fourth quarter.

kryptonite
06-22-2006, 04:17 AM
UAAP crown UE’s ‘ultimate goal’

By REX A. R. SAN DIEGO II, The Manila Times Correspondent

Fresh from their conquest of the 2006 Nike Summer League-Father Martin Cup championship, the University of the East Red Warriors have their sights trained on their bigger, "ultimate" target: the University Athletic Association of the Philippines men’s basketball crown.

With their masterful domination of the San Sebastian College-Cavite Hawks in the finals, the Recto-based squad is touted among the favorites to win UAAP Season 69’s centerpiece event.

And with De La Salle University’s one-year suspension from the league in effect, it seems the path to glory is wide open.

But UE coach Dindo Pumaren was quick to play down his team’s chances.

"On paper, we may be one of the stronger teams. But I still believe that Far Eastern University and the Ateneo remain as the teams to beat," noted Pumaren, himself a member of championship teams during his playing days with DLSU.

"[Both] Ateneo and FEU have solid game players. And as always, FEU has a steady six-player rotation year after year," observed Pumaren, on his third year as bench tactician for the Warriors.

Known as "The Bullet" during his Philippine Basketball Association days, the coach also gave credence to the defending champion Tamaraws’ consistency—even with the exodus of its key players.

"Even with [Arwind] Santos and [Mark] Isip gone, I’m sure FEU remains competitive. Their coaching staff has done a great job the past years on this," he pointed out.

The Warriors, now bannered by the youthful corps of Marcy Arellano, Bonbon Custodio, Jorel Canizares and Mark Borboran, see the twice-to-beat incentive as a key to their plans.

"Our initial target is to return to the Final Four. But we have raised our goals [for] this year to getting into the Top 2 so we can enjoy its benefits," shared Pumaren, whose squads have barged into the Final Four for consecutive years but came up short each time.

Last year they had the misfortune of running smack into—and losing to—eventual champions FEU in their semifinal duel.

"When we were ranked third and fourth the past two seasons, we had very little room for error, and we simply lacked the energy to win close games. We couldn’t get through," he lamented.

But a change in his players’ attitude has surfaced of late.

"The players themselves said that we will go all out for the Top 2 slots. I believe we have better chances to making it to the finals that way," he said.

It’s not surprising to see the Warriors exhibit a sense of urgency, and play the game at a frenetic pace these days.

Pumaren himself has brought along this philosophy to the team since his appointment as bench tactician.

"I tried to emphasize the value of the running game since I came here. So I look for players who are quick, athletic and possess good discipline, which to me are very important," he explained. "And now, even during regular practices, I see in my players the energy and the passion for the game and their commitment to our team goal."

Sure enough, the Warriors reflect their coach’s persona. They employ a game-long, court-to-court press, an effective strategy they used to the hilt in capturing the 2006 Nike Summer League and the Micaba titles, the latter against Mapua Institute of Technology.

"That’s our primary defensive strategy. That’s why I always have a small guy on the floor to harass the other team’s guards. That’s why I have many guards in my rotation," explained Pumaren.

"The Father Martin Cup gave my boys wonderful opportunities to improve our game. Our matchups against bigger teams and at times smaller, faster teams gave us great preparation. But all this will mean less if we don’t win the UAAP," he said.

atenean_blooded
06-23-2006, 03:31 AM
UE?

YOUTHFUL corps?

Even if you measure in dog years, that statement is a LIE!

LIES LIES LIES LIES

bchoter
06-23-2006, 12:57 PM
SInce NU has no official thread, I thought I'd post this here:

I took a trip earlier today to faraway Tinga gym in Taguig, literally a stone's throw away from Laguna de Bay, to catch NU battle PCU for third place in the Olympic Whatever Basketball Tournament, and all I can say is, don't sell this team short. They nearly beat PCU, NCAA runners-up last year. In fact, NU led by as many as 15 points in the first half before Gabby Espinas took over the game. Edwin Asoro is looking pretty sharp, and Espinas had trouble with him in the fourth quarter.
I saw them in the FMC twice and I would liken their play with the Phoenix Suns where they take three point shots like they were lay ups. I'm looking at an MVP season for Asoro. A good PG will make them a cinch for a lot in the Final Four.

gameface_one
06-27-2006, 09:53 AM
UAAP Preview

Falcons aim to fly high under Austria

By Jasmine W. Payo
Last updated 05:35am (Mla time) 06/27/2006

Published on page A23 of the June 27, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

WHEN HE first met his new team, coach Leo Austria admits it took some time before he warmed up with the Adamson University Falcons.

“Frankly, I was disappointed and frustrated during my first few practices with the team,” said Austria. “The team had very deep problems. But the good thing is the players respect me a lot. That allowed me to have patience with them. I shared to the players that I want to help the team. It was very challenging for me.”

Although often rated highly in the pre-season, the Falcons have been ending up with disappointing performances in the University Athletics Association of the Philippines (UAAP) men’s basketball tournament.

Last season, the underachieving squad finished near-bottom with a 3-11 record.

“The past few years, the team failed to meet all the expectations,” noted Austria, who took over one-year mentor Mel Alas. “We’re trying to correct the players’ attitude. But it’s not that easy, we can’t change that overnight. It’s a long process that we started last January.”

Aside from emphasizing the importance of team work, Austria said he had to convince his players to believe on the team’s potential.

“I have veteran players, but they have no winning experience,” he said. “In the last few years, they haven’t experienced the winning situation or how to be in the Final Four. So we needed to develop a winning attitude.”

The Falcons also had to relearn the game basics with Austria.

“We went back to the fundamentals,” the former top Philippine Basketball Association point guard said. “It’s a different system, but I think they’ve absorbed it. In the last few weeks, I can see that everybody has adjusted.”

Expected to lead the Falcons is hefty center Ken Bono, who recently shone with the Montaña Jewels to bag the Most Improved Player citation in the Philippine Basketball League.

But Austria said he plans to distribute the scoring load.

“We’re not relying on (Bono) heavily,” he said. ” We’re trying to develop other players like (Patrick) Cabahug and (Roel) Hugnatan.”

The Falcons will battle pre-season favorite University of the East Warriors in the inaugural game on July 8.

“It remains to be seen, but there’s potential in this team,” said Austria. “I’m confident that we can do better this year.”

BigBlue
06-27-2006, 10:12 AM
“We’re not relying on (Bono) heavily,” he said.

Heavy talaga :D

atenean_blooded
06-27-2006, 10:07 PM
"Hefty" nga raw.

Most improved? Kasi lumaki?

Ahihihihihihihi.

BigBlue
06-28-2006, 09:59 AM
wont austria be coaching Welcoat when they move into the PBA? pano na yung long-term plan ng adamson with austria?

Lucas Palaka
06-28-2006, 11:10 AM
it all depends on the arrangement between coach austria and fr. max rendon. a good thing going for both parties is the new PBA calendar, wherein the UAAP season comes after the PBA season.