PDA

View Full Version : Hot Players Next Year

gameface_one
09-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Ok. Let's start this off by lining up the potential hot players next year. Let me start with the following:

1. Ateneo's Ronnie Bughao - Definitely joining Ateneo Team A next year; a combo guard with the 2 being his natural position; a former red lion and ncaa rookie of the year; could very well be a worthy replacement for LA Tenorio; the highest point producer for Ateneo Team B in the on-going FMC2.

2. UE's fil-am (didn't get his name) - reportedly standing at least 6-3; good wingman and shooter; good defender as well; currently giving the audience some oohs and ahhs in the on-going FMC2.

3. DLSU's Walsham - Vastly improved; bulked up and ready to bang bodies with the other teams' centers; currently leading DLSU team B in the on-going FMC2; with his height (6-6) and heft, will provide DLSU with some inside strength they missed since losing Gaco.

4. DLSU's yugo Marco Batricevic - 6-6 wingman who can hit it from the outside; could be a good replacement for Jun Jun Cabatu; also has good perimeter defense skills.

Feel free to fill in......

mesmata oba
09-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Pwede ba kahit hindi bago?

Kasi, I think si Marvin Cruz, hot na 'yan next year. Isama mo pa si Nestor David.

Sa UE, siguro si Marcy Arellano at si Canizares.

MASTER SLASHER
09-13-2005, 02:15 PM
How come nobody is mentioning Latere? He ain't hot yet but there's no stoping this kid.

Wang-Bu
09-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Baka akala ng UAAP sila lang ang may hot players next year. Hintayin ninyong Beda next year: TRIPLE TOWERS! Samuel Ekewe legit 6'8" with whole months of training to make him better. Although kahit ngayon walang gustong sumaksak kung siyang nandun sa loob. Mike Butscher, so-called "Swiss Boy" ng Beda, legit 6'6" na shooter, ala Stojakovic. Finally Eric Suguitan (dating taga-UE) legit 6'7" center-forward now unveiling new post moves and beter rebounding position.

Sa JRU may bago silang big guy na mukhang kuya ni Mike Tyson. May galaw sa poste at intimidating talaga, mga 6'6" and maybe 220 pounds of muscle, braso pa lang niya binti na nung pinagmamalaking Aguilar ng Ateneo. Benilde has an Australian (?) boy na mukhang no-bull version ni Mike Holper, same build, length and athleticism pa.

All of these players are seeing action sa FMC 2 ngayon, baka magtaka na lang kayo biglang bumulaga sila next year at ma-sweep na naman ng NCAA ang UAAP sa Bantay Bata All Stars.

Kid Cubao
09-13-2005, 03:00 PM
i think the breakout stars of next year will have to be ateneo's ronnie bughao and jai reyes, UP's kevin astorga, and la salle's marko batritevic. however, marko has really yet to hit his stride in the ongoing FMC tournament.

mesmata oba
09-13-2005, 03:20 PM
Si Dylan Ababou din ng UST gagaling at gagaling.

cackler
09-13-2005, 09:15 PM
I have a suspicion that the biases of the coach would also determine who will be developed enough to become a "HOT" player next year. An obvious example would be a coach who prefers a low post operator or a Coach who prefers tall athletic wingmen.

At any rate, I would think Casio of DLSU would be super hot next year. Cabahug could explode for Adamson. I agree that David would be an anchor player for UP next year. For Ateneo, if baldos learns to defend hard, he could be a perfect complement at the wing for both Intal and Barracoso. I think UE has some hot new players for next year. NU would ahve interesting big men next year.

I will still look around and see what I can come up with.

gameface_one
09-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Pwede ba kahit hindi bago?

Kasi, I think si Marvin Cruz, hot na 'yan next year.*

I personally feel that Marvin Cruz will be UAAP's top point guard next year.

gameface_one
09-13-2005, 10:40 PM
Si Dylan Ababou din ng UST gagaling at gagaling.

Idagdag mo pa si Taylor. Mukhang kumakagat na rin outside shooting ng batang ito. Parang si Cabatu, 6-5 na nag tetres.

Kid Cubao
09-14-2005, 11:41 AM
yes, taylor really surpised me with his development this season. he was a raw, gawky beanpole straight out of colegio de san agustin who hardly mattered in his rookie year. now he's gained mass and overall skill. that 3 point shot is the stuff for national players especially for someone of his height. ababou, taylor, and duncil will be a power trio for UST.

Wang-Bu
09-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Abangan ninyo si John Paul Escobal, BJ Manalo ito without the talangka sa utak. Escobal is about 6-feet tall and well-proportioned, very good pointguard skills pero marunong maghanap ng sariling opensa kung kinakailangan. Escobal is currently showcasing his mad skillz with San Beda B in the FMC 2. Kumpleto siya from what I've seen so far: may pukol kahit sa tres, marunong magdala ng team, matalinong maglaro, hindi nagpipilit ng action, very good decision-making and anticipation of action. Mukhang matinding resbak ang gagawin ng Red Lions sa NC next year.

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Abangan ninyo si John Paul Escobal, BJ Manalo ito without the talangka sa utak. Escobal is about 6-feet tall and well-proportioned, very good pointguard skills pero marunong maghanap ng sariling opensa kung kinakailangan. Escobal is currently showcasing his mad skillz with San Beda B in the FMC 2. Kumpleto siya from what I've seen so far: may pukol kahit sa tres, marunong magdala ng team, matalinong maglaro, hindi nagpipilit ng action, very good decision-making and anticipation of action. Mukhang matinding resbak ang gagawin ng Red Lions sa NC next year.

I haven't seen Escobal play but if he's really that good, why didn't he make it to Team A this yr?

mesmata oba
09-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Transferee po yata si Escobal. Galing yata sa Holy Cross ng Davao. Kaya siguro nagre residency.

Basta, abangan niyo si Sison at Serios ng UP.

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Transferee po yata si Escobal.* Galing yata sa Holy Cross ng Davao.* Kaya siguro nagre residency.

I see. Thanks Mesmata Oba. BTW, ano ibig sabihin ng name mo?

Sam Miguel
09-20-2005, 10:30 PM
How about some of the high school players already graduating this year and deciding on which schools to play for? (I'd like to say which schools to attend but, well, let's not go there...)

I believe the hotshot high school players this year would be Simon Atkins of Zobel and John Hermida of San Beda, and they should be relentlessly pursued by many programs.

Does anyone have any news about that UPIS kid who went to a Japanese basketball academy?

gameface_one
09-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure if the following kids are already eligible to play college ball next yr: Marcelo of SBC, Afuang of SBC, and Salamat of SSC-R.

cackler
09-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Marcelo is not. I don't think Afuang will be eligible either. I am not sure though.

Salamat I think is college bound. You may also want to consider Buenafe. He is a big man with ball handling skills. I understand though that the San Sebastian stags have a UST pipeline.

Wang-Bu
09-22-2005, 03:57 PM
How about some of the high school players already graduating this year and deciding on which schools to play for? (I'd like to say which schools to attend but, well, let's not go there...)

I believe the hotshot high school players this year would be Simon Atkins of Zobel and John Hermida of San Beda, and they should be relentlessly pursued by many programs.

Does anyone have any news about that UPIS kid who went to a Japanese basketball academy?

Si Maui Villanueva ito. Ewan ko lang, pero alam ko kailangan pang mag-residency ni Maui once he gets back to the country, before he can play for a UAAP Seniors team. Because he will be away for two years - the scholarship runs two years in this Japanese basketball academy - he is technically considered as having matriculated and played in a foreign school, so damay siya sa walang kakwenta-kwentang residency restrictions ng UAAP, KAHIT PA nag-high school naman siya sa UPIS. Ang genius talaga ng mga UAAP ano? Homegrown talent, nabiyayaan ng magandang pagkakataon na dala pang ngalan ng Bayang Pinas, mangangailangan pang mag-residency na parang Fil-Am eng-eng bago makalaro ng college ball.

Palakpakan natin ang UAAP Rules Committee! YEHEY! Mabuhay kayong lahat!

Wang-Bu
09-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Si Atkins nga pala, isa pang hot recruit for next year, and he should be a good fit for Lasalle, lalo na kung wala na si Joseph Yeo next year. Atkins will not give the Archers what yeo has given them the past three years in terms of production siempre, pero may greatness ang Atkins, may leadership, which is more than can be said for the often selfish and self-centered Yeo. Pero Atkins must learn to be a fulltime point to get minutes for Lasalle, although pwede din siyang maging smallish two-guard gaya nung BJ Manalo at Magnum Membrere. Ang malamang makalaban niya for minutes at the 2/1 spot si Cholo Villanueva, maybe Ryan Arana and James Mangahas also.

Sam Miguel
09-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Yuri Escueta is apparently doing well in the FMC 2 tournament and has emerged as the best pure pointguard in that talented Ateneo B lineup. Ronnie Bughao - while undoubtedly the best guard (heck, best player) on that lineup - Escueta may yet reclaim a roster spot on their UAAP team if he keeps up his great performance all the way into the tryouts. With LA Tenorio gone, and Macky Escalona not quite sure of returning next season (Escalona graduates on time and does not seem too keen on taking a second degree) Escueta may yet emerge as the top pointguard option for the Blue and White.

Imagine a backcourt with Escueta, Bughao and the returning Chris Tiu. This should ease the withdrawal pains with the departure of Tenorio, Magnum Membrere, and possibly Escalona. The good thing with Escueta is he has reportedly improved his shooting, and is now more comfortable taking shots from even three-ball range. But the greater concern is how Escueta has responded to being placed in the B lineup, after his much-ballyhooed recruitment and token participation in the UAAP lineup last year. Is his confidence still there? Does he still have what it takes to be an effective UAAP pointguard? Does he still even want to be in the UAAP?

Escueta's greatest strengths are his speed and ability to handle well while changing directions. He may not be chain lightning the way Tenorio was, but he does have more footspeed and lateral speed than every other pointguard in the UAAP for next season. Skills and talent wise he may be better than Lasalle starter TY Tang. But Tang has grown into one of the best and underrated pointguards in the league. Escueta had the hype and i\then got relegated to Team B. It will now be an interesting test of wills for Escueta. Does he still have what it takes?

Gil_Andrews
09-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Sam, I agree. The time for Yuri to take on the challenge has come. Unless we get another better PG option, then Yuri should indeed make the team.

Assuming though that Norman keeps the current intact as it is and just opts to get replacement for Badjie, Magnum, and LA who are all guards, then the issue now is whether or not we likewise opt to replace them with guards? If so, then the best options would be Ronnie, Chris, and Yuri.

bchoter
09-26-2005, 07:29 PM
I was surprised when ADMU announced its season 68 line-up minus Yuri. I watched a few games in last seasons home-and-away and FMC and I thought Yuri was Team A ready. I think I even posted in another fora something about Yuri and that he's a cinch in Team A. But then again, the upside of Jai was probably too much to resist.

cackler
09-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Hey bchoter! Nice to have you here on board.

Other than Ababou and Taylor, who do you think will be "hot" for UST next year? Is Vizcara coming back?

About Yuri Escueta: I really admire the skills of the guy. I hope he decides to try out for Team A next year. He has the whole off season to work on his game. But he has to decide first and work for it.

Gil_Andrews
09-26-2005, 11:39 PM
I was surprised when ADMU announced its season 68 line-up minus Yuri.* I watched a few games in last seasons home-and-away and FMC and I thought Yuri was Team A ready. I think I even posted in another fora something about Yuri and that he's a cinch in Team A. But then again, the upside of Jai was probably too much to resist.

Hey bchoter! Welcome to our new playground. We've been tired of the tsismis and the non-sense bashing in the forums of the other sites. I think this is a perfect fora to have an honest to goodness intellectual discussion about philippine amatuer basketball from all schools and organizations nationwide. Feel free to invite your serious friends to join the fray but let's just limit this among us who have the genuine objective of intelelctual and mature exchanges.

Going back to Yuri, he is a good ball handler and he has a "pass first" PG attitude that's perfect for a fastbreak oriented team like Ateneo. His only drawback in my view is poor shot selection and the tendency to panic whenever there's an iminent press at the half court. That's why you will always see him making that long pass from the backcourt to a teammate at the front. Thus, turnovers result therefrom.

Hope he could fix this asap.

bchoter
09-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Hey cackler and Gil_Andrews, thanks for the WARM welcome :D. Nice space you got here ;). I hope Mateen and the peyups guys find their way here.

On the UST front, word is Jemal is serious in getting his slot back (I'm not sure if that's good nes or what...). If he gets his head screwed on the right places he should be "hot" as his skills fit the system: spot up jumper, coming off screens, dribble drive, hand-off (which he should do more often), drive-and-dish (minus the "pasikat"). He truly is a complete offensive package. But then again, like Danny, he has the tendency to go one-on-one to the detriment of the motion offense. The chismis on the coaching job? That I haven't confirmed yet. I'd rather see coach Onel stay on and complete his contract. I'd probably hang around the campus more often than usual (the kumander does a catering job for some colleges and I sometimes fill-in as a waiter-cum delivery boy... sort of a jack-of-all-trades). Hopefully I could play some pick-up games during the weekends and hope to bump (hopefully not literally) into Fr. de Sagun and catch up on the prospects.

I really thought Yuri could back-up LA well. Although, I agree with you on his TO tendencies. He also has to work on a more consistent jumper. Pero this kid has moxie. But with Ronnie Bughao coming in, I'm not sure if he can earn a slot in Team A.

cackler
09-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Pareng Bchoter:

Congrats! Waiter-cum-delivery boy ka na, ako labandero pa rin.* Hindi bale, magsisipag ako lalo para ma promote kahit kusinero kasi hirap talaga ako sa plantsa.

About Yuri cracking Team A:* Mukha ngang magiging mahirap if he wants to come in as a pure point guard.* There is a possibility that Macky will not play anymore next year and just proceed to law school.* That would make the chances of Yuri better such that the point guard line up would be Jai Reyes, Ronnie Bughao, then Yuri Escueta.

You may notice that Coach Norman prefers quick ball movement kaya two guard combination.* Kaya he does not prefer post players who will slow down the movement of the ball.* Kaya naman ang daming turn-overs ng Ateneo which is mostly because of the receiver.* Our quick ball system still needs a year or two to be polished.* La Salle handily beats us because of their execution. They will still probably do it next year.

Clearly, the preference in the point guard postion is somebody who has excellent ball handling as well as shooting skills.* That is clearly why Jai was preferred over Yuri.* For Yuri, therefore, to make Team A, he has to fine tune his ball handling and come up with quick shooting.* For him to do this, he must first accept that he is not yet perfect and then work on his game.

bchoter
09-27-2005, 01:42 PM
I'm a little wary of Jai's ballhandling skills. I know this sounds sacrilegous to some but I find him a little lacking in ballhandling skills. Especially with his stature. And I think he commits the same mistakes Yuri makes. They both seem allergic to the mid court line and that they tend to rush things when trap near the line. Don't get me wrong. I really really like this kid. In fact I think he's the Atenean with the most non-Atenean fans (my kumander included). I just felt like Jai has to earn his spot like Yuri had t ospend some time in Team B (maybe it's the OLD school in me). One player I wanted to see more was Ken Barracoso. Him playing behind Magnum was what I was looking forward to. I think Ken will someday be among the team's leaders. I don't know about JC though. He obviously is among the upper 5% talent-wise. But I feel like he has yet to get to the next level. He has to have some yabang in himself. He needs some streak of meannes in him. If there's anybody to "blame" I think, as an outsider, it should be put squarely on JC. You never had a consistent second leg when I thought what you needed was a third leg. A finals stint would have been a perfect conclusion for a stellar college career for LA.

I hope nobody's blaming coach Norman. I think he has what it takes to bring the crown back to Katipunan.

Wang-Bu
09-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Huwag na nga tayong maglokohan: Hindi marunong mag-point guard si Jai Reyes. And I don't think he'll ever become a true pointguard, ibang-iba talagang orientation niya as a player, his instincts aren't even as a scoring or shooting point; he's not a pointguard, period.

If anything Jai Reyes at least is a pure shooter. Hindi man siya kasintindi ng isang Olan Omiping o Cesar Catli, shooter pa rin siya, someone you should not leave unguarded or sag off, papatayin ka niyan lalo na nakakuha siya ng rythm. 'Yun nga lang, sa konti ng playing time niya at sa pagpupumilit na gawin siyang pointguard, wala rin.

Kung ako kay Jai I'd try to pattern my game after Allen Iverson, a smallish guard who's biggest contribution to a team is the ability to score. Jai showed he has the jets to slash and draw fouls or complete plays nung Juniors siya, so dapat hindi niya tinigilan 'yon. If LA Tenorio can get away with it, and Macky Escalona can do it (ugly form and all) imposibleng hindi kaya ni Reyes. Imagine someone as small and hard to catch as Jai Reyes constantly movign without the ball instead of being the playmaker, tapos ang pointguard mo si Ronnie Bughao, inside-outside freeway mangyayari diyan. Pwede pa ngang gawing point forward si Ken Barracoso tapos si Jai ang designated shooter / slasher who generates offense either through shots or passes inside.

Ewan ko lang bakit kaya pinipilit gawing pointguard si Reyes...

cackler
09-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Huwag na nga tayong maglokohan: Hindi marunong mag-point guard si Jai Reyes. And I don't think he'll ever become a true pointguard, ibang-iba talagang orientation niya as a player, his instincts aren't even as a scoring or shooting point; he's not a pointguard, period.

If anything Jai Reyes at least is a pure shooter. Hindi man siya kasintindi ng isang Olan Omiping o Cesar Catli, shooter pa rin siya, someone you should not leave unguarded or sag off, papatayin ka niyan lalo na nakakuha siya ng rythm. 'Yun nga lang, sa konti ng playing time niya at sa pagpupumilit na gawin siyang pointguard, wala rin.

Kung ako kay Jai I'd try to pattern my game after Allen Iverson, a smallish guard who's biggest contribution to a team is the ability to score. Jai showed he has the jets to slash and draw fouls or complete plays nung Juniors siya, so dapat hindi niya tinigilan 'yon. If LA Tenorio can get away with it, and Macky Escalona can do it (ugly form and all) imposibleng hindi kaya ni Reyes. Imagine someone as small and hard to catch as Jai Reyes constantly movign without the ball instead of being the playmaker, tapos ang pointguard mo si Ronnie Bughao, inside-outside freeway mangyayari diyan. Pwede pa ngang gawing point forward si Ken Barracoso tapos si Jai ang designated shooter / slasher who generates offense either through shots or passes inside.

Ewan ko lang bakit kaya pinipilit gawing pointguard si Reyes...

OO nga ano!

You really have a lot of good points. You are the same guy who said Ateneo will get beaten by DLSU easy. Hanep.

Thanks for your insights. Salamat Po.

Mateen Cleaves
09-28-2005, 06:57 AM
At any rate, I would think Casio of DLSU would be super hot next year. Cabahug could explode for Adamson. I agree that David would be an anchor player for UP next year.

Nice site... refreshing, to say the least. :)

David has one year of eligibility left. But he is on track to graduate, on time, next semester. Word is, he'll wait to see how the coaching situation plays out before making a decision on his UAAP career.

Wang-Bu
09-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Sana bumalik si David for UP kahit ano pang mangyari sa coach. He was the best bigman for UP this year, and he'll get even more playing time next year. Sana din makapag-personal training siya on his own, maybe try to improve his vertical and his footspeed. Para kasing naaalala ko si Noli Locsin kay David, widebody, strongman, pero maganda ang galaw sa poste. Kung maka-add lang ng kahit konting vertical pa si David unstoppable na siya sa low box.

Cackler, ang akin lang kasi mas mainam ng huwag sanang ipilit ang hindi naman nararapat. Para mo na din kasing sinabi na wala ng ibang silbi sa basketball si Jai Reyes at the college level unless mag-pointguard siya. He may be small but he's also a trackster, which means underrated ang speed at strength niya. If you could train him to be an off-the ball guy in the mold of Iverson he could be the hardest to defend bench player in the UAAP.

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Cackler, ang akin lang kasi mas mainam ng huwag sanang ipilit ang hindi naman nararapat. Para mo na din kasing sinabi na wala ng ibang silbi sa basketball si Jai Reyes at the college level unless mag-pointguard siya. He may be small but he's also a trackster, which means underrated ang speed at strength niya. If you could train him to be an off-the ball guy in the mold of Iverson he could be the hardest to defend bench player in the UAAP.*

Wang-Bu,

The problem with Jai is he is a one dimensional offensive player with the outside shot as his only scoring option unlike Allen Iverson who slashes and penetrates a lot. With his size, he has to convert to a PG because defensively, he will be a liablity in defense against the much taller SG of the opposing teams.

randomhero
10-17-2005, 02:38 PM
I love this site! I'm so sick of reading bashes on schools, players, coaches, alumni... It's high time we talked about pure basketball.

Anyway, I guess the baton has been passed from Yeo to Arana as the go-to-guy for DLSU. I mean look at game 2 of the finals against FEU. He was really active on both ends of the floor, he top scored with 18? (not really sure) but he just ran out of fouls in the end. He's tough kid and I like his attitude (except for his jig against ADMU, totally uncalled for).

TY, is one of the most underrated players ever to put on a DLSU jersey (along with the likes of Cali Orfrecio, Mon Jose...etc). It's hard to imagine that he was once Mike Cortez' backup 3 years ago. I remember game 1 of the 2002 finals where he made a couple of turnovers that led to an Ateneo run late in the game and ultimately led to to the loss. He has really come a long ways from a frosh talent to a veteran PG. Although at times he maybe a bit incosistent with his play but I think definately he is continuing DLSU's tradition of great guards.

Marcy Arellano, is another player I really like. I miss great shooters (Ritualo, Yap, R. Sison...) a lot of the players nowadays take too many 3's for their own good. Like any great shooter he has the green light. I like the way he challenges his defenders. I expect UE to be the team to beat next year.

Wang-Bu
10-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Puro Pong Escobal naririnig ko sa Beda. Pero meron silang underrated na guard na kasamahan ngayon ni Escobal sa Beda B, si Kevin Espinosa (number 17). This kid has an even more consistent perimeter game than Escobal, plus he's bigger and stronger, a better athlete across the board. Ang lamang lang talaga ni Escobal super comfortable na siya as a natural pointguard, Espinosa has some pointguard skills but is obviously much better as an offguard. Pero give Espinosa the right kind of coaching and exposure, maari siyang maging next Aaron Aban ng NCAA.

chba_dude
10-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Nice site...

Beda na rin lang usapan, sali ako. hehe. Kevin Espinosa is more of a small forward. He lacks the ball-handling skills to become a point guard, lacks the mobility to play the 2. He is more of a spot-up shooter. But he is one hell of a spot-up shooter, especially from deep. the reason why he is bigger and stronger than Escobal is because he played 4 or 5 nung high school. Summer lang yan nagstart to play the 3. Hopefully, he cracks the lineup next year. If not, sana he continues to develop his game sa team B while willingly waiting for his turn.

Escobal is a natural guard. Not much of an athlete, but one hell of a ball player. Mababa tumalon, parang madami pa baby fats. Hehe. but the game maturity and basketball IQ is what makes him good. He can score in many ways kahit hindi sya athletic. He can spot up for the three, take the three off the dribble, slash, and get to the foul line. Shoots a good percentage from the line too. And his leadership sa court is invaluable. Madami nga nagsasabi na mayabang kasi pinapagalitan nya mga teammates niya pag may mali. but it's high time that Beda gets a leader on the court. Kaya mataas talaga expectations dyan kay Escobal.

Gil_Andrews
10-19-2005, 02:53 PM
hey randomhero and chba dude. Welcome to our new playground. Hope
u can invite more level headed friends to join in the intellectual discussikons here.

chief
10-20-2005, 09:35 AM
This is a cool site... I like the fonts also....

Anyway, Pong Escobal should make waves by next year... he's the next big thing in San Beda and probably the NCAA. :)

For the UAAP I think if he gets his head right it should be Pribhdas of UST (did I spell it right) I just think he lacks support from his teammates... (OT: Where is Jemal Vizcarra anyway?) and he tends to be error prone, but we're seeing good glimpses from this kid.. he's fast and he also got a shooters touch from beyond the arc... it will be interesting to see where UST will be next year.... Although not to sure with the coaching staff though... but let's see.

And I agree, Nestor David should stay in UP he'll be a force to reckon with, but I like the way Marvin Cruz plays in UP I think he'll get better soon enough.

bchoter
10-20-2005, 11:23 AM
My issue with Danny Pribhdas is his tendency to go solo (remnants of the past?) like his predecessors (Jemal Vizcarra, Christian Luanzon, Hubalde, Cyrus Baguio, Nino Gelig, Emer Oreta, Francisco, et. al.). I think he has better skills than Baguio or Gelig. He's a more athletic Emerson Oreta (who went from athletic to just plain magulang). He's got a nice all around talent. Jemal, hopefully, will make a come back. I wish he had more sessions with Alex Compton, who did wonders with Christian. Pasintabi to coach Aric but I think the former Tigers mentioned above were not properly harnessed during his time. This past season saw a more 'thinking' game from the SFs/SGs. There is more 'reading' of the defense rather than just spotting up or driving hard for the sake of spotting up or driving hard. Jojo Duncil appears to benefit most in the new system. The tendency to 'over-dribble' is still there but is not as pronounced as his predecessors. He and Dylan, who can be the next Luanzon (the improved one), and, hopefully, the fil-aussie, will form a decent threesome on the break. Will Ateneo deliver Salamt to UST on a silver platter? I don't think so. Salamat, I think, is the missing link in the ADMU line-up. I think the Eagles can live without LA's scoring but are sorely lacking on offense from the wing spot. JC Intal is too darned inconsistent and too darned scared. JC either needs a 'Robin' or needs to be the 'Robin'.

chief
10-20-2005, 12:19 PM
JC Intal is too darned inconsistent and too darned scared. JC either needs a 'Robin' or needs to be the 'Robin'.

I agree, although he showed some range this past season.. It would be best for him if he learns when to use the outside shot and when to drive. Sayang he's tall for a wing man... pero he'd be a good catch if he learns to use his height to his advantage.

He was absent in their game against La Salle (final four) the last time out. They were really demoralized, add the fact they were leading only to lose all of it in the third canto. If he turns out to be 'robin' for another player, he might not be able to flourish as a basketball player in the PBA. He may be able to reach it, but to stay for the rest of his career is something he'll ponder... NOT UNLESS, he polishes his game in the future... the sooner he polishes it, the better it will turn out for him.

bchoter
10-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Nakakapagtaka because JC Intal appears very polished as a player. I think what he needs is a lesson or two from Wesley about the Ateneo "angas". On the more specific part, I'd like to see JC crouch a little bit more when dribbling although, he's good as it is. Parang feeling ko lang masyadong "upright" siya when he dribbles.

chba_dude
10-20-2005, 06:12 PM
If Salamat is academically capable for Ateneo, he will make waves in collegiate ball. Believe me, Ive seen him make mincemeat of our juniors team. Offensively and defensively. I personally believe that he is the biggest catch from the NCAA juniors in the recruting wars. Coming from the school that lost the championship, I can nevertheless say that there is no tinge of sarcasm from my statements.

Green is a thug. I doubt if he can keep his head in place. That guy Tagarda from Letran is worth looking at though. An excellent slasher.

Gil_Andrews
10-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Hey chba_dude. Agree with you that Salamat could be a catch. See my initial comments in another topic when he tried out for Ateneo last Tuesday.

Green was a dissappointment.

lionman
10-24-2005, 05:31 PM
If Salamat is academically capable for Ateneo, he will make waves in collegiate ball. Believe me, Ive seen him make mincemeat of our juniors team. Offensively and defensively. I personally believe that he is the biggest catch from the NCAA juniors in the recruting wars. Coming from the school that lost the championship, I can nevertheless say that there is no tinge of sarcasm from my statements.

Green is a thug. I doubt if he can keep his head in place. That guy Tagarda from Letran is worth looking at though. An excellent slasher.

How tall is Tagarda? Any news of this kid

Gil_Andrews
10-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Hey lionman, who do you think is the best catch among the big men in the ncaa juniors?

franz888
10-25-2005, 06:09 PM
My vote goes to SALAMAT. I think he is the best catch in HS this year. IMO he is way better than ATKINS. This boy can really shoot from all angles with his height he will definitely create mismatches. His academics is a different story though.

Wang-Bu
10-25-2005, 09:23 PM
JC Intal is too darned inconsistent and too darned scared. JC either needs a 'Robin' or needs to be the 'Robin'.

I agree, although he showed some range this past season.. It would be best for him if he learns when to use the outside shot and when to drive.* Sayang he's tall for a wing man... pero he'd be a good catch if he learns to use his height to his advantage.

He was absent in their game against La Salle (final four) the last time out.* They were really demoralized, add the fact they were leading only to lose all of it in the third canto.* If he turns out to be 'robin' for another player, he might not be able to flourish as a basketball player in the PBA.* He may be able to reach it, but to stay for the rest of his career is something he'll ponder... NOT UNLESS, he polishes his game in the future... the sooner he polishes it, the better it will turn out for him.*

Totoong totoong totoo mga katoto, as in for real!

JC Intal, all 6'5" and 180 pounds of him. He of the 36-inch vertical and the ability to handle the ball, pass and shoot from trey range. The guy who can engulf opponents with his defense. Superstar na superstar!

Pero bakit ganun? Parang AYAW maging superstar. Or worse, HINDI KAYA maging superstar?

Ang kulang kay Intal hindi talent, umaapaw ang talent. Hindi din size, at that size grabe siya for a perimeter guy.

Ah alam ko na, walang kaangas-angas as a player! 'YON!

Ewan ko lang, Norman Black still has one year to turn him into superstar material, sana tablan.

chief
10-26-2005, 01:44 PM
^ He needs to play with HEART talaga... mas maangas pa si Doug Kramer sa kanya eh!

easter
10-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Any news about FEU prospects? They will surely miss the talents of Arwind, Isip and Rizada next year. Jonas will be a handful in the coming season.

Gil_Andrews
10-28-2005, 10:20 AM
FEU will surely pull some surprises. Cabagnot is a shoo in I think.

Gil_Andrews
03-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Looks like Bon Bon Custodio will be a hot player for the Warriors next year. Together with Marcy Arellano, they will lead the charge for UE to win the championship next UAAp season. This early, I'm putting them as the favorites to with the title.

MonL
04-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Transferee po yata si Escobal.* Galing yata sa Holy Cross ng Davao.* Kaya siguro nagre residency.

I see. Thanks Mesmata Oba. BTW, ano ibig sabihin ng name mo?

Matamis (na) Bao yata ito... ;D* Anyway, I was just doing a "Then and Now" surf ngayong breaktime at nakita ko ito.... :D

Howard the Duck
04-22-2006, 01:01 AM
UAAP: Chris Tiu, Japeth Aguilar, Jonas Villanueva and Bonbon Custodio
NCAA: Jason Castro, Aaron Aban, Kelvin dela Pena and Joferson Gonzales

MonL
04-22-2006, 11:23 AM
NCAA: Jason Castro, Aaron Aban, Kelvin dela Pena and Joferson Gonzales

NCAA: Pong Escobal, Sam Ekwe, and Ogie Menor. No Red Lion teams or individual players in recent years have caught fancy as they have right now... These three should be ready for that which will be thrown by other teams their way soon....

abcdef
04-22-2006, 03:35 PM
i would like to see Jason Castro. . . . ibang klase maglaro sa pbl

BLUE HORSE
04-23-2006, 05:57 AM

"IF" Japeth comes back to Manila!

Howard the Duck
04-23-2006, 06:25 PM
I still think the Ekwe is raw. But he's really good daw.

Now what if Japeth jumps ship to the NCAA (USA)? Siya pa ang first full-blooded pinoy to play? Sana Division I kung matuloy hehehe

DREDD
04-26-2006, 10:55 AM
J O J O D U N C I L....

oca
04-27-2006, 08:32 AM
I still think the Ekwe is raw. But he's really good daw.

Now what if Japeth jumps ship to the NCAA (USA)? Siya pa ang first full-blooded pinoy to play? Sana Division I kung matuloy hehehe

I agree Ekwe is raw - in terms of basketball skills.

But his athleticism is incomparable. Kahit sa UAAP, you won't find anyone to match his athletic abilities. This will be his strength.

Kahit walang gawin sa opensa ang Nigerian na ito, he will get the lions share of the playing time because he can defend and rebound. But guess what...he as learned a few but effective offensive moves in the 1 school year he was at the Den.

He will be a hot player for next collegiate season. He will get more attention from the media and basketball public than many would expect.

LION
04-27-2006, 09:14 AM
^ Ekwe just started playing basketball for less than a year. However, his learning curve is something to be admired. Compare his performance in the FMC - Gillette tournament last year which was his first time to play organized basketball with his performance in the HAIL tournament and you could see the tremendous improvement in his game.

I say that his offensive skills are "raw" in the sense that he does not have a jump shot. But his layups, putbacks and slamdunks are unstoppable because of his strength and athleticism. Then again, If I were Coack Koy, I wouldn't want my big man to be shooting jumpshots when he can easily score inside the paint (eave the jumpshots to Escobal, Menor and Gamalinda). Ekwe is also a good free throw shooter.

Whilst Ekwe has "incomplete" offensive skills, he is a natural defensive player. This can be attributed to his real sport which is football. Remember that as a goalie, his instinct is to block/swat the ball. And that is what he does best. In fact, even if he can intercept and capture the ball while in flight (and get ball possession), his instinct is to swat the ball away like a goalie. Numerous times I have seen him do that. Sayang talaga dahil pwedeng ball possession ng Red Lions yung mga blocks na yun. That also gives us an idea how high his very high vertical leap is.

Ekwe is also very strong and athletic. He can dribble the ball really low (take note Ogie Menor) and drive for a slam or layup. And while in flight, kahit banggain siya ng mga kalaban hindi mababago ang course ng lipad niya. Diretso pa rin. 3 point play ang kalimitang resulta.

Espinas is strong physically but Ekwe is stronger.

Espinas is better offensively, but Ekwe can neutralize Espinas with his defense and put up big numbers at the same time.

Mas magulang si Espinas pero ok lang kasi magpa pari naman si Ekwe. Hindi siya marunong sa gulang.

Ang isa pang maganda kay Ekwe, hindi siya napipikon kahit sinasaktan ng kalaban. Grabe and focus niya at mabait talaga. Doesn't even know how to retaliate. Walang evil intent. Gentle giant kumbaga. My fear is that baka abusuhin siya ng mga barbarians.

MonL
04-27-2006, 09:36 AM
^ Ekwe just started playing basketball for less than a year. However, his learning curve is something to be admired.* Compare his performance in the FMC - Gillette tournament last year which was his first time to play organized basketball with his performance in the HAIL tournament and* you could see the tremendous improvement in his game.

Sounds familiar.... a "Kababayan" went through the same thing several decades ago on a bigger basketball stage.......Hakeem("Akeem") Olajuwon. When he was still a University of Houston Cougar, he spent his summers polishing his skills against Houston Rocket great Moses Malone and came out a fiercer, unstoppable force..

I read a profile about Hakeem several years ago...he dedicates every game he plays to God, and thus he gives his all as a means to praise and worship Him. I think he's somewhere wtih his family in the Middle East right now, studying the Koran. To be an Imam?

5FootCarrot
04-27-2006, 11:03 AM
...Mas magulang si Espinas pero ok lang kasi magpa pari naman si Ekwe.* Hindi siya marunong sa gulang.

Ang isa pang maganda kay Ekwe, hindi siya napipikon kahit sinasaktan ng kalaban. Grabe and focus niya at mabait talaga. Doesn't even know how to retaliate. Walang evil intent. Gentle giant kumbaga. ...
No offense, but I have to disagree with this - but only just a little bit. In the past couple of Ateneo-SBC games I have watched, I have observed Sam Ekwe's poise slip. He has gotten in his teammates' faces when things are not going well for them. (If he is blessing them, it sure doesn't look like it.) I will allow that everyone, even people studying for the priesthood, is entitled to get p.o.'d once in a while, but he's going to have to keep it together to help his team, especially in the endgame.

I fully agree, though, with the observations that Ekwe's improved dramatically since he started playing for Team Behold. He is still raw, but at the rate he is going, he won't be for long. :)

toti_mendiola
04-27-2006, 11:16 AM
...Mas magulang si Espinas pero ok lang kasi magpa pari naman si Ekwe.* Hindi siya marunong sa gulang.

Ang isa pang maganda kay Ekwe, hindi siya napipikon kahit sinasaktan ng kalaban. Grabe and focus niya at mabait talaga. Doesn't even know how to retaliate. Walang evil intent. Gentle giant kumbaga. ...
No offense, but I have to disagree with this - but only just a little bit. In the past couple of Ateneo-SBC games I have watched, I have observed Sam Ekwe's poise slip. He has gotten in his teammates' faces when things are not going well for them. (If he is blessing them, it sure doesn't look like it.) I will allow that everyone, even people studying for the priesthood, is entitled to get p.o.'d once in a while, but he's going to have to keep it together to help his team, especially in the endgame.

I fully agree, though, with the observations that Ekwe's improved dramatically since he started playing for Team Behold. He is still raw, but at the rate he is going, he won't be for long. :)

yes true but it is notewothy that he got into his teammates' eskinol sikreto ng mga guwapo faces and not into the opponents faces. Saw his poise slip at the hail championship at UE same with pong, ogie and bambam who all wanted to fire up the team and win. Mas mainit nga sagutan ni pong at sam, kasi di nag e eskinol si pong dahil gillette lang ang pwede niyang gamitin sa contrata. ;D

5FootCarrot
04-27-2006, 11:55 AM
That's true, at least he didn't yell at his opponents. :) Nevertheless, I've taken this as an example that Ekwe's still got something to address, focus-wise, because I've seen him do this in high-pressure situations, especially in the end-game, and this has not helped SBC prevail in said games.

LION
04-27-2006, 04:36 PM
^ Thanks Carrot. Well taken. Basta ikaw nagsabi there is always merit to it. :)

5FootCarrot
04-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Thanks, too, for not taking offense. I tried to put it as politely as I could :)

Now, since the discussion is on hot players for next season, how about Zion Laterre? The summer FMC is only a week or so old, but the feedback on this guy has been very good. He's bigger now, but this has not hampered his speed or leaping ability because the bone spurs are finally gone. Zi did quite well over the past couple of years when he still had them, and now that he's not playing hurt anymore, I think his game is only going to get better.

LION
04-28-2006, 08:44 AM
^ When I first saw Zion play last year for Team Glory Be, I saw a leaner version of SBC's Aljamal.* They play the same position (3 and/or 4)* and both have blue collar playing styles. They play tough but not rough.

I haven't seen him this year but if it is true that he is much bigger now, then I* hope he gets more rebounds.* Zion is not yet superstar material at this time like JC Intal.* He will not be the first or second offensive option of his team because that is not his role in the team. He will provide the toughness that will not be seen in the record/stats sheets.

I'd like to see Zion crack Team A this coming season.

MargaretThrasher
04-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Uhm...Zion played in the UAAP last season. Do you mean that you want to see him again this year? :)

LION
04-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Let me clarify my post Margaret. Yes, I'd like to see him again this year.

I said that I'd like him to crack Team A because of the Fab14 Projected lineup thread in this forum which says that the line-up of the team is not final and complete, and that there is in fact some sort of a vote on who should be part of the team.

The last time I checked he got a total of 14 votes.

salsa caballero
04-28-2006, 03:43 PM
^ Thanks Carrot. Well taken. Basta ikaw nagsabi there is always merit to it.* *:)

I'd do the same if I were you. You know what they say about carrots and sticks..... ;)

LION
04-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Hahaha. I know Salsa. Kaming mga Bedista, we really don't know how to argue with women. We are surprisingly perplexed pagdating sa kanila. The easiest way out is just to agree with them especially pag may suot ng sapatos na matulis ang takong. I learned this early from my mother and lately from my wife hehehe.

But seriously, Carrot has a point. :)

toti_mendiola
04-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Uhm...Zion played in the UAAP last season. Do you mean that you want to see him again this year? :)

Not every player can crack team A everytime, albeit he is a part of it last time around. There are so many reasons.

markbrigs
04-28-2006, 04:12 PM
c aguilar ng ateneo dominant player nxt season medyo hasa na yan!!!

LION
04-28-2006, 04:18 PM

Not every player can crack team A everytime, albeit he is a part of it last time around. There are so many reasons.

Chico Tirona who is part of the Red Lion Team Animo last year is trying out again. He is part of the "try-out team" playing in the current FMC tournament where he is playing sub for Borgie Hermida.

MonL
04-28-2006, 05:10 PM

Chico Tirona who is part of the Red Lion Team Animo last year is trying out again.* He is part of the "try-out team" playing in the current FMC tournament where he is playing sub for Borgie Hermida.

And so is 6-5 veteran center/power forward Martin Antonio....konting angas at diskarte pa, Martin....physically, he already has the tools.

Mang_Roger
04-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Martin is a walking vertigo. He has the height, speed and talent but he can't (or won't) put his act together. Just imagine-- a veteran still trying to prove his worth for Team A.

LION
05-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Roger, kumusta na ba yung original na Mang Roger hehe. Tagal ko na siyang di nakita ah. If I see him again, I will buy a dozen balots and chicharon from him. Graduate na ba yung mga anak niya sa Ateneo at La Salle?

Joescoundrel
05-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Eric Salamat - if he cracks the lineup - seems to be the sleeper for next season. Hard to be a sleeper as the last NCAA Juniors MVP perhaps, but he's about to crack the three-ring circus that is the UAAP on the biggest glamour team of the league. If he thought he was under pressure to follow up an MVP performance and a crackerjack Finals versus the mighty Red Cubs, he ain't seen nothin' yet. Wait until he hears it from the "Spirits" of Ateneo. Good luck, kid.

AnthonyServinio
05-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Eric Salamat - if he cracks the lineup - seems to be the sleeper for next season. Hard to be a sleeper as the last NCAA Juniors MVP perhaps, but he's about to crack the three-ring circus that is the UAAP on the biggest glamour team of the league. If he thought he was under pressure to follow up an MVP performance and a crackerjack Finals versus the mighty Red Cubs, he ain't seen nothin' yet. Wait until he hears it from the "Spirits" of Ateneo. Good luck, kid.
Erik Salamat was MVP of the NCAA 82 Finals. The regular season MVP was Allan Mangahas of PCU-Union High who has since signed up with La Suspended.

oca
05-13-2006, 04:01 PM
This may come as a surprise, but that new kid on the UST Tigers line-up LUCAS TAGARDA should be getting a lot of minutes and may just build his confidence early in the season to catch the attention of hardcore observers.

Tagarda finished highschool at Letran. Had the Squires made it to the finals last season, he would have gotten the same publicity as Hermida of San Beda or Salamat from San Sebastian.

I saw the DLSU- UST figth marred game Friday. I was surprised of the amount of minutes Jarencio gave the kid. But what caught my attention was not one instance did Jarencio called the attention of the kid to point out something he did wrong. Obviously, Pido likes the way this kid plays.

I would not be surprised if he becomes the poster boy of UST, if not this coming UAAP season, then by his sophomore year.

bchoter
05-14-2006, 12:17 AM
I hope Pido doesn;t like him too much and let him play the way Pido played, that is shoot first, shoot second, drive and shoot third.