PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore Players Who Made Good

Sam Miguel
09-12-2005, 11:13 PM
The rules:

1) The player must have come from a mid-major / small school, plus points is he came from a school outside Metro Manila

2) The player was NOT recruited by a UAAP or NCAA team COMING OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL

3) The player may or may not have played on a UAAP / NCAA School

4) The player played at least three (3) years in either the PBL (or PABL for the, uh, more veteran fans) OR three (3) years in the PBA and/or the MBA, plus points if he won MVP or Rookie of the Year in either league

5) The player may or may not have had humble beginnings (please go easy on terms like "hoops mercenary")

Let me start: Aris Dimaunahan. Hindi nakapasok sa UST varsity nung nandun siya, pero ngayon mainstay na ng Baranggay Ginebra.

mesmata oba
09-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Sina Torion po and other Cebuano players. Kasali rin siguro si Hontiveros.

Wang-Bu
09-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Malas lang kasi talaga ni Aris-boy kasabay niya nun sina Gelig at Baguio, alam ko nandun pa yata si Gelo Velasco, kaya pahirapan nga siyang makapasok sa UAAP lineup ng Ust-e. Ang hindi ko lang ma-gets bakit kaya gumawa naman ng maganda si Aris sa PBL, mas ok pa siyang player at napakatalinong maglaro kaysa kina Baguio (slamdunk champ pa daw...) at Gelig. Si Gelo nga naglaho na lang after a seson or two sa MBA.

Isa pang trip kong hardcore player si Egay Billones, limot ko lang kung MLQU 'yung school niya dati, wala na ngang takot ang talino pang maglaro. Alala ko dati sa MUCAA ('yun nga bang liga ng MLQ...?) unstoppable siya, could get the ball to anyone he wanted, get to any spot on the court he wanted, and was never a selfish player, talagang bagay maging pointguard. Kaya din siguro kahit loaded na sa gwardiya 'yung 2001 SEABA Team ni Louie Alas kinuha pa rin siya. Biruin mong may Choo Serrano, Ibet Demape at Joel Co ka na nga kumuha ka pa rin ng Egay Billones? And Egay took major minutes on that team.

Sam Miguel
09-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Marlon Basco, presently a practice player for Ginebra, was a find from the Quezon City public school system. Basco matriculated at the Quirino high school in Project 2 QC, and I do not recall him playing for any of the UAAP or NCAA schools. He first caught national attention in the defunct MBA (for Davao I think, and he was teased as the taller Anthony Suntay because they really do look alike).

Basco saw action for the Ateneo-Lee Pipes team in the PBL last year and was a very productive center-forward, certainly a tougher inside presence than Paolo Bugia. Before losing a numbers game at the 4 and 5 spots of Ginebra, he was actually on their regular roster up to the time they won their back-to-back championships last season.

Out_Of_The_Blue
09-13-2005, 10:46 PM
How about Teri Saldana? He was one of the first youngest players to jump straight to the PBA.

Kid Cubao
09-14-2005, 12:07 PM
terry saldaņa was a letran knight under coach larry albano. he got to college at age 16, but the perpetual scowl on his face made him look much older. when he became a rookie for toyota, nagkaroon ng minor controversy when his birth records showed that he was only 22 yrs old when people thought he was close to 27 or even older. eventually, his birth certificate was authenticated in 'gapo so he never ran into problems again.

Wang-Bu
09-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Speaking of edad, alala ko si Vergel Meneses nung late-80's dalawang beses yatang natiklo sa pagpeke ng edad para lang makapasok ng PBA. Masyadong atat ng mag-PBA si Meneses nuon, alam ko the first time he tried to apply for the draft mga bandang 1989 pa lang yata, 20 years old pa lang siya, halos katatapos pa lang niyang mag-RP Youth. All's well the end well, naka-MVP naman siya in his ninth season yata sa PBA.

Sam Miguel
09-20-2005, 10:10 PM
There was a kid in the late 1980's named Calvin Tuadles, Arnie's younger brother, who just seemed to come out of nowhere and suited up for Shell in the Benjie Paras-Ronnie Magsanoc era. I remember he was a no-nonsense combo guard who was strongly built and had a complete but totally nonflashy game. I wonder what ever became of this kid. He should be a role model for humility and efficiency in this age of flash-dash-and crash.

bchoter
09-26-2005, 07:48 PM
My favorite hardcore player should be Aris Franco who played for Shell as a rookie at the age of 28(?)

Wang-Bu
09-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Si Aris Franco ba 'yung kasama sa Interplanetary Team ni Joe Lipa sa Philips Sardines sa dating PABL?

Ang mga kakampi niya 'yung mga iba pang saksakan ng gagandang lalaking sina Dodong Postanes, Epoy Jalmasco at Juancho Estrada?

bchoter
09-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Sakli pare ko. BTW, I think Epoy also belongs among the hardcores. I once played against him when, after his PBA playing days, he played as an "import" in a small town league. Ang lakas... ang lakas lumaklak :D. In fairness he really was gung-ho even in a small-time league. Junacho Estrada. Wow! It's been ages since I last heard that name from my elders :D

Sam Miguel
09-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Wang-bu, even I had to do a double take on the mere mention of the players you just posted about.

Aris Franco, Dodong Postanes, Epoy Jalmasco and Juancho Estrada, talk about the ultimate in hardcore!

I guess we should also mention guys like Vidal Librada, Toying Teves and Django Rivera, the hardcore bangers / toughguys of the PBA in the early 1990's.

bchoter
09-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Toying and Django? How about Nap Hatton?

Wang-Bu
09-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Four Horsemen dati ng Baste ang mga 'yan 'si ba? Hatton, Rivera, Teves and Art Dela Cruz, tapos point guard mo si Eugene Quilban. Grabe, a tough and athletic bunch. Nandito din ba sa team na ito sina Bong Solomon at Peter Aguilar?

Sam Miguel
10-27-2005, 06:37 PM
I recall that Peter Aguilar was already a senior while Bong Solomon was just a freshman for San Sebastian sometime in 1988-1989. Aguilar was on the 1989 SEA Games team that also had Nelson Asaytono, Nani Demegillo and Zaldy Realubit. Those were hardcore times and all of these guys were hardcore players who were diamonds in the rough when discovered, blossoming into legit superstars only later on in their amateur careers. I can't forget the epic PABL battles of Benjie Paras and Joe Lipa's Philips Sardines and Nelson Asaytono and the rest of the Magnolia Milk crew.

I think what truly distinguishes a hardcore player from jsut any player is their ability to just play, regardless of position. The skills are all there, sometimes to the point of their being called "bwakaw" because they were simply doing a lot of everything to the point of being labeled "unorthodox". Andy De Guzman, Nap Hatton, Dodong Postanes, Jojo Lim, Pat Codinera and Peter Naron were all like this. They played so many positions and did so many things they were totally undefinable as players.

Out_Of_The_Blue
10-27-2005, 11:06 PM
I recall that Peter Aguilar was already a senior while Bong Solomon was just a freshman for San Sebastian sometime in 1988-1989. Aguilar was on the 1989 SEA Games team that also had Nelson Asaytono, Nani Demegillo and Zaldy Realubit. Those were hardcore times and all of these guys were hardcore players who were diamonds in the rough when discovered, blossoming into legit superstars only later on in their amateur careers. I can't forget the epic PABL battles of Benjie Paras and Joe Lipa's Philips Sardines and Nelson Asaytono and the rest of the Magnolia Milk crew.

I think what truly distinguishes a hardcore player from jsut any player is their ability to just play, regardless of position. The skills are all there, sometimes to the point of their being called "bwakaw" because they were simply doing a lot of everything to the point of being labeled "unorthodox". Andy De Guzman, Nap Hatton, Dodong Postanes, Jojo Lim, Pat Codinera and Peter Naron were all like this. They played so many positions and did so many things they were totally undefinable as players.

I also remember Danny Francisco who played with Magnolia for a short period. Sayang talaga si Danny. He would have been one of the country's best centers.

bchoter
10-28-2005, 10:14 AM
^ Backing up Jun Limpot...

Gil_Andrews
10-28-2005, 10:17 AM
^ Backing up Jun Limpot...

bchoter, I remember that it was Jun Limpot who backed him up in their stint in the RP Youth squad that played China here in 88.

bchoter
10-28-2005, 10:40 AM
^ But when Francisco played for Magnolia in the then PABL, he was coming from a long lay off yata and his health was already suspect then. Limpot was the top center that time. To think that Danny F. used to toy with Limpot.

Gil_Andrews
10-28-2005, 10:57 AM
That's right bchoter.

bchoter
10-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Too bad Danny F. was never able to play pro ball.* Di ba Francsico's organs daw were not able to cope up with the growth of is body? I think he still could have played pro ball considering that Limpot could last this long with so little heart. If we have poster boys for Hardcore players, Limpot is a runaway leader of the Softcore boys. What say you Marlou?

Sam Miguel
10-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Danny Francisco suffered from some sort of genetic disorder that saw his bones growing but his muscles and organs not growing at the same pace, hence his reed-thin build. Fr mac Reyes of Ateneo once explained that Danny was 6'7" but had the muscles, tissues and organs of someone 5'6". It didn't help that Danny was from that generation of ballers who were macho to the point of not taking care of themselves away from basketball and training, i.e. drinks, smokes, etc. This is not to say he deliberately took the downhill route. Just that like all the other hardcore players of that era, he lived it up off the court. I recall guys like Max Delantes and Mike Otto were quite the boozers and smokeres away from the court. Even the legendary Ramon Fernandez and his Purefoods mate Totoy Marquez would have a stick or two before their practice at what was then called the Loyola Center (Blue Eagle Gym to those born after 1985).

bchoter
10-28-2005, 01:56 PM
I remember seeing Francisco in the pink house before. Aside from his imposing height, you'd also notice the way he smokes where it takes just 4-5 long drags to consume one stick :D. Philip Cezar and Atoy Co were also known as "hardcore" drinkers and smokers. Epoy Jalmasco was a not only "buwaya" on the court but on the drinking table as well :D

Sam Miguel
10-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Epoy Jalmasco continues to live up to this hardcore reputation in the Project 2-3-4 areas, both at the drinking table and on the basketball court. I believe he hangs out a lot with another hardcore legend, Asiong Madamba, former King Falcon.

AnthonyServinio
01-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Marlon Basco, presently a practice player for Ginebra, was a find from the Quezon City public school system. Basco matriculated at the Quirino high school in Project 2 QC, and I do not recall him playing for any of the UAAP or NCAA schools. He first caught national attention in the defunct MBA (for Davao I think, and he was teased as the taller Anthony Suntay because they really do look alike).

Basco saw action for the Ateneo-Lee Pipes team in the PBL last year and was a very productive center-forward, certainly a tougher inside presence than Paolo Bugia. Before losing a numbers game at the 4 and 5 spots of Ginebra, he was actually on their regular roster up to the time they won their back-to-back championships last season.
Marlon Basco is a second-generation player being the son of former Tefilin star Mario Basco.

The younger Basco played for the UE Pages in the UAAP in school year 1993-1994. After that, he went to the then Luzon Colleges in Pangasinan (now the University of Luzon).

Marlon made his pro debut via the MBA's Iloilo Megavoltz in 1999 and stayed there until the club closed after the 2000 season. In between MBA seasons, he played briefly for Hapee-Ateneo before returning to the Megavoltz.

AnthonyServinio
01-25-2006, 03:22 PM
There was a kid in the late 1980's named Calvin Tuadles, Arnie's younger brother, who just seemed to come out of nowhere and suited up for Shell in the Benjie Paras-Ronnie Magsanoc era. I remember he was a no-nonsense combo guard who was strongly built and had a complete but totally nonflashy game. I wonder what ever became of this kid. He should be a role model for humility and efficiency in this age of flash-dash-and crash.
Calvin Tuadles transferred from Cebu to the PATTS Seahorses, teaming up with fellow transferee Romy dela Rosa in dominating the minor Metro Manila college leagues.

After his PBA career, Tuadles resurfaced and made a short comeback via the MBA's Socsargen Marlins in 1999.

Gil_Andrews
03-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Looks like Ronnie Bughao will follow this path.

MonL
03-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Calvin Tuadles transferred from Cebu to the PATTS Seahorses, teaming up with fellow transferee Romy dela Rosa in dominating the minor Metro Manila college leagues.

After his PBA career, Tuadles resurfaced and made a short comeback via the MBA's Socsargen Marlins in 1999.

Romy Dela Rosa had a teammate at Shell with a similar sounding name , Romy Orillosa, at nabinyagang "magkapatid"....
Orillosa was also known as "Moses Mulong"....

admuhs_upengg
03-23-2006, 02:32 PM
terry saldaņa was a letran knight under coach larry albano. he got to college at age 16, but the perpetual scowl on his face made him look much older. when he became a rookie for toyota, nagkaroon ng minor controversy when his birth records showed that he was only 22 yrs old when people thought he was close to 27 or even older. eventually, his birth certificate was authenticated in 'gapo so he never ran into problems again.

I always thought that Terry Saldana played at Trinity, one of the few good players to come out of Trinity

MonL
03-23-2006, 02:39 PM

I always thought that Terry Saldana played at Trinity, one of the few good players to come out of Trinity

The first Trinity player that made an impact was Camelon Marasigan, in the 1970s. Then there was Mar Magada, a rock-hard big guard, and Meneles Viray, a lefty with a smooth looking J....

paralusi
03-23-2006, 02:44 PM
alejo alolor is hardcore in my book. i just don't know where he came from.

bchoter
03-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Although his nickname sounds softcore. Ponky. Cute ;)

admuhs_upengg
03-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Although his nickname sounds softcore. Ponky. Cute ;)

What about DonDon Ampalayo, where did he come from and whatever happened to him? When I left the country he was one of the stars of Ginebra, when I got back he was nowhere around.

Kid Cubao
03-23-2006, 02:59 PM
pongkee alolor was a prize find in the cebu commercial league in the early 80s. i believe he was a PBA rookie of the year for galerie dominique, which was owned by nikki coseteng. sabi ng kaibigan kong ex-PBA player, the name pongkee was derived from the cebuano word "pongkaw," meaning a stubbed finger. putol daw yung isang daliri ni alolor.

dondon ampalayo is now a successful realtor in the vis-min region.

MonL
03-23-2006, 03:05 PM

The first Trinity player that made an impact was Camelon Marasigan, in the 1970s. Then there was Mar Magada, a rock-hard big guard, and* Meneles Viray, a lefty with a smooth looking J....

The best one was Zaldy Latoza, the only Trinity player I remember who made it to the pros...

bchoter
03-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Talaga bang uso sa Cebu ang hardcore na pangalan pero softcore and palayaw? Dondon ang palayaw... Crescencio and tunay.

Speaking of Dondon. He made his mark in the then PABL under ESQ.

MonL
03-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Luke Dacula was a fan favorite because his name literally raised a howl.....Because of this he changed it later to "Dator", which was a combination of his name and his wife's maiden name, Tortor.... but later on he reveted back to "Dacula."

So Lloyd (later on "World B.") Free was not the only one to change his name due to bball..

bchoter
03-23-2006, 03:13 PM

The first Trinity player that made an impact was Camelon Marasigan, in the 1970s. Then there was Mar Magada, a rock-hard big guard, and* Meneles Viray, a lefty with a smooth looking J....

The best one was Zaldy Latoza, the only Trinity player I remember who made it to the pros...
Yeah. I remember him fomr the later day MICAA. Was it MIESCOR? He was playing with Rey LAzaro yata. And Rudy Lalota

MonL
03-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Talaga bang uso sa Cebu ang hardcore na pangalan pero softcore and palayaw? Dondon ang palayaw... Crescencio and tunay.

ESQ Marketing was a Joe Lipa-coached team which defeated the mighty Lagerlite squad bannered by future San Miguel pros Alfie Almario, Romy Lopez, Jeffrey Graves, etc.

bchoter
03-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Luke Dacula was a fan favorite because his name literally raised a howl.....Because of this he changed it later to "Dator", which was a combination of his name and his wife's maiden name, Tortor.... but later on he reveted back to "Dacula."

So Lloyd (later on "World B.") Free was not the only one to change his name due to bball..
Luke, I heard, is handling a team in the STI tournament.

MonL
03-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Yeah. I remember him fomr the later day MICAA. Was it MIESCOR? He was playing with Rey LAzaro yata. And Rudy Lalota

He was on at least one of those very strong teams under the Herdis Group of Marcos golfing buddy Herminio Disini..Those were potent teams, with APCOR once winning the MICAA crown at the expense of the YCO Painters, then an amateur basketball icon.. That champion team then had Lazaro, Bay Cristobal, Padim Israel.....

oca
03-24-2006, 08:18 PM

I remember him from the early years of the PBL, then called the PABL. His team the Army Jungle Fighters played in a championship series against Mama's Love of Cebu. He carried the scoring load for his team.

Army won the series/ title. It was a rag-tag team coached/ assembled by Charlie Badion. That team had Latoza, Tito Demetrio, Benjie Gutierrez, Dwight Chua, Bogn Aninon. Mama's Love had...Cabahug, Realubit,Lastimosa brothers.

Latoza's performance in that series paved his re-entry to the PBA. If I recall it right he signed a 1-year contract with Ginebra of Jawo....

LION
03-27-2006, 05:50 PM
For me, Rudy "The Destroyer" Distrito would qualify as the ultimate hardcore who made good. A lot of people do not know where he came from. Jimwell Torion and Itoy Esguerra are nice boys compared to Rudy. Kahit si Jawo hindi uubra sa angas ni Rudy. Buti na lang naging coach niya sa Ginebra si Jawo kung hindi baka nagpang abot din sila. Nasobrahan nga lang si Rudy, sa dami ng nasaktan sa kanya hindi na siya pinaglaro ulit.

Kumusta na kaya ang kaso niya sa US? Hmmm... I hope he gets acquitted. Pati mexicano hindi umubra sa kanya.

MonL
03-27-2006, 06:00 PM
For me, Rudy "The Destroyer" Distrito would qualify as the ultimate hardcore who made good.* *A lot of people do not know where he came from.* Jimwell Torion and Itoy Esguerra are nice boys compared to Rudy.* Kahit si Jawo hindi uubra sa angas ni Rudy. Buti na lang naging coach niya sa Ginebra si Jawo kung hindi baka nagpang abot din sila. Nasobrahan nga lang si Rudy, sa dami ng nasaktan sa kanya hindi na siya pinaglaro ulit.

Kumusta na kaya ang kaso niya sa US?* Hmmm... I hope he gets acquitted.* Pati mexicano hindi umubra sa kanya.

He had a rep as a rugged player coming out of UE, but he really found fame(or notoriety) in the pros... Nearly maimed Ronnie Magsanoc out of comission during the Ginebra/Aņejo vs. Shell finals series. Bumawi nga lang si Arnie Tuadles nang binali niya ang braso ni Leo Isaac with a karate chop. Some years before that, muntikan nang makipagsuntukan si Joey Loyzaga kay Distrito. Ang sama pa nun, teammates pa sila noon sa Magnolia......

LION
03-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Agree MonL.

He was ruggedness and toughness personified. Without belittling his exploits as a player, I still believe that Philippine pro basketball was better off without him.

However, I remember until now his classic game winning shot against Shell in the 1991 PBA finals. That was truly memorable.

bchoter
03-27-2006, 06:29 PM
For me, Rudy "The Destroyer" Distrito would qualify as the ultimate hardcore who made good.* *A lot of people do not know where he came from.* Jimwell Torion and Itoy Esguerra are nice boys compared to Rudy.* Kahit si Jawo hindi uubra sa angas ni Rudy. Buti na lang naging coach niya sa Ginebra si Jawo kung hindi baka nagpang abot din sila. Nasobrahan nga lang si Rudy, sa dami ng nasaktan sa kanya hindi na siya pinaglaro ulit.

Kumusta na kaya ang kaso niya sa US?* Hmmm... I hope he gets acquitted.* Pati mexicano hindi umubra sa kanya.

He had a rep as a rugged player coming out of UE, but he really found fame(or notoriety) in the pros... Nearly maimed Ronnie Magsanoc out of comission during the Ginebra/Aņejo vs. Shell finals series. Bumawi nga lang si Arnie Tuadles nang binali niya ang braso ni Leo Isaac with a karate chop.* Some years before that, muntikan nang makipagsuntukan si Joey Loyzaga kay Distrito. Ang sama pa nun, teammates pa sila* noon sa Magnolia......
Si Chito actually ang kabanggaan niya pero true to his hardcore rep the whole male Loyzaga clan went up against him including the great Caloy Loyzaga

MonL
03-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Agree MonL.

He was ruggedness and toughness personified.* Without belittling his exploits as a player, I still* believe that Philippine pro basketball was better off without him.

However, I remember until now his classic game winning shot against Shell in the 1991 PBA finals.* That was truly memorable.*

Yung nagtatalon siya sa tuwa na inispup ni Jimmy Santos? ;D

MonL
03-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Si Chito actually ang kabanggaan niya pero true to his hardcore rep the whole male Loyzaga clan went up against him including the great Caloy Loyzaga

Yup. Yun nga.

esjay
03-30-2006, 10:37 PM

I BEG TO DIAGREE WITH THIS i though more of onchie delacruz that really pissed the big j off ...and rudy respect jaworski so much to the point that most seldom than not didnt guard jaworski the way he guard other

MonL
04-03-2006, 11:24 AM
I mentioned this on the "Silver Screen" thread, kanya lang medyo OT, kay nilipat ko dito...I was wondering why Onchie delaCruz was not mentioned anywhere until si esjay...Underrated, rugged player on those Tanduay teams....
He got his first shot as a replacement player for the injured Frankie Lim on that ill-fated 1980 RP Youth Team...He was early in his career known for his fancy drives and ability to score, pero his ruggedness came to the fore later on in his pro career, and he gained enforcer status...

bchoter
04-03-2006, 11:29 AM
The Onchie dela Cruz layup was one of those being copied by street ballers during his time. Others being copied were Amapalo's craddling of the ball. Even Magsanoc's "bukaka" stance on the free throw line were being copied.

Kid Cubao
04-03-2006, 11:30 AM
favorite ko hetong si onchie de la cruz :D he's among the few who mastered the "spit-and-1" move. he must have splattered his DNA on quite a number of defenders during his glory days. migrated to the states for a spell, but is now back in his old haunts in caloocan, where he's into buy-and-sell.

MonL
04-03-2006, 12:17 PM
The Onchie dela Cruz layup was one of those being copied by street ballers during his time. Others being copied were Amapalo's craddling of the ball. Even Magsanoc's "bukaka" stance on the free throw line were being copied.

How about Alvin Patrimonio's one-handed "kalawit" rebound? Rudy Distrito also had some freee throw mannerisms, in which he would set his foot on the charity stripe, then bounce the ball, then lunge forward with his right leg, doing this three times before taking a free throw...

bchoter
04-03-2006, 12:22 PM

How about Alvin Patrimonio's one-handed "kalawit" rebound?
... and Jolas' bus-stop leaning jumper (towards the defense) on the break, Ampalayo's "ubos-swelas" drive to the basket where he drags his right foot on the way to the basket, and Vergel Meneses' glide to the basket.

bchoter
04-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Epoy Jalmasco continues to live up to this hardcore reputation in the Project 2-3-4 areas, both at the drinking table and on the basketball court. I believe he hangs out a lot with another hardcore legend, Asiong Madamba, former King Falcon.
Asiong Madamba's exploits in the Cubao/Project 4/Project 2-3 area is well known but he also brought his hardcore hoops as far as the Frisco/Project 8 area where he torrorized local hoopsters in known street basketball haunts like Damar Village.

chocoks77
04-04-2006, 10:17 AM
SI Alvin Teng ba pwede kasali dito...Alfie Almario?

Lucas Palaka
04-04-2006, 10:22 AM
alfie almario passed away some years ago of a heart attack.

admuhs_upengg
04-04-2006, 01:04 PM
After his basketball career, Alfi Almario became quite a good amateur golfer as well, even joining the annual Philippine Amateur Golf Championships.

bchoter
04-04-2006, 02:23 PM
SI Alvin Teng ba pwede kasali dito...Alfie Almario?
Alvin Teng, yes. But Alfie Almario? I think he went thru the less hardcore route by playing for DLSU and was among coach Ron Jacob's boys. Even his game has no trace of "hardcore" in it as he plays relatively "soft" as a 6'3" SF.

Agent 008
04-04-2006, 04:44 PM
How about JB Yango?

He was a pretty hard-nosed player back in the day...

MonL
04-04-2006, 05:14 PM
How about JB Yango?

He was a pretty hard-nosed player back in the day...

He scored 40 points in one finals game the year Tanduay won its first PBA championship. Kaya lang when the franchise was bought by Purefoods, he, like the other purefoods players, was disrespected by Rene Buhain. Mon Fernandez, in particular was targeted. The media, too, was gifted with his inane"Hotdog, gusto ninyo?"answer to sportswriter queries on the Fernandez freeze.

Agent 008
04-04-2006, 05:29 PM
I think kahit sa laro ngayon kaya ni Yango makipaglaban sa likes nina Menk at Taulava. Parang deceptively lazy ang style niya pero ang puwersa parang si Dennis Espino. Kaya talagang mag-score at kaya ring mag-defend ng import. Blue collar ang attitude...basta laro lang. Tingin ko na deserving na maging hardcore palyer si JB.

MonL
04-05-2006, 07:48 AM
I think kahit sa laro ngayon kaya ni Yango makipaglaban sa likes nina Menk at Taulava. Parang deceptively lazy ang style niya pero ang puwersa parang si Dennis Espino. Kaya talagang mag-score at kaya ring mag-defend ng import. Blue collar ang attitude...basta laro lang. Tingin ko na deserving na maging hardcore palyer si JB.

Ang dami niyang napabilib. When he was first introduced to us at San Beda's pep rally to open the 1977 season, ang introduction pa sa kaniya ay: "Ang kapalit ni Abe King.....Joseeeeee Yangooooo!!!!" Nung makita namin siya, we were skeptical dahil ang payat payat, medyo kuba pa, so that he seemed smaller than his listed height of 6-3. He was the opposite in form to the powerful Abe King, who left San Beda after one year to play in the MICAA and eventually in the pros. At tama ka, deceptive ang style niya, parang antukin pa siya with those Rip Van Winkle eyes, pero nung maglaro, para kang pinutukan sa mukha. Ubod ng tapang. Even if he was gangling at the start, buo ang loob niya. I think he never choked at all in his basketball career.

Kid Cubao
04-05-2006, 08:39 AM
yes, JV yango is an example of a hardcore player who became an outstanding pro. he may have not caught the eye of the casual PBA fan, but he's a coach's dream--works hard in practice, works even harder in games, and is a family man. sa praktis, laro at pamilya umiikot ang buhay nya when he was in the league because he settled down early in life just like vic pablo. he was the favorite player of don ramon elizalde, the grand patriarch of the original tanduay franchise.

bchoter
04-05-2006, 10:20 AM
I always compared Jayvee Yango's game to Kevin McHale of the Boston Celtics. Both are gangling big men who don't look the part of an athletic big man. But what they bring to the table is a better understanding of the game that is hinged more on timing and footwork rather than on size and athleticism.

MonL
04-05-2006, 11:14 AM
I always compared Jayvee Yango's game to Kevin McHale of the Boston Celtics. Both are gangling big men who don't look the part of an athletic big man. But what they bring to the table is a better understanding of the game that is hinged more on timing and footwork rather than on size and athleticism.

Generally level headed siya, but I recall two instances na nakita ko siyang magalit at makipag away.

The first one was in 1978, his second year with the Red Lions, in the last game of the regualr season vs. the Letran Knights. The Lions were poised for a sweep and automatic championship. I think he caught a Ted McKinney elbow or roughhousing down low and Yango was literally dragged back to the bench, straining at the leash and so enraged. I think he lost focus that game and the Lions played a generally bad game, and the Knights denied the Lions of a first ever sweep. Any way, he was back to his dominating self in the knockout games vs. Letran and La Salle for the championship.

The second instance was in the SEA Games hosted in Manila in the early eighties, when he was with the RP Team. They played Malaysia in one game, and a brawl ensued, with almost all the RP players* including JB on court for a few moments of mayhem. Most vivid in my mind though was* Ed Cordero soaring high for a flying kick into a bunch of Malaysian players. Sapol! I think he never leapt as high as that before. I saw it on tv and it was caught on camera by Sports weekly....

Agent 008
04-05-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm very glad to see that I am not alone in appreciating JB (or is it JV) Yango's talents and contributions. He is worth remembering.

Since it's hardcore players we are talking about, I'd like to throw Bay Cristobal's name in the ring. I always remember him to be tough. Basically, my rule is anyone who stands up to Jawo deserves to be considered ;D

MonL
04-06-2006, 07:52 AM
I'm very glad to see that I am not alone in appreciating JB (or is it JV) Yango's talents and contributions. He is worth remembering.

Since it's hardcore players we are talking about, I'd like to throw Bay Cristobal's name in the ring. I always remember him to be tough. Basically, my rule is anyone who stands up to Jawo deserves to be considered* ;D

Natatawa nga ako sa isang interview sa kaniya...naghihimutok si Bay kay Jawo nang saktan siya ni Jawo sa isang laro... Idol daw niya si Jawo at tinitingala siya ng aspiring na mga basketbolista tulad niya, kaya "please...teach us!!!" Di pa ba alam ni Bay na na-OJT/hands-on training na siya noon ni Jawo? ;D

MonL
04-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Since it's hardcore players we are talking about, I'd like to throw Bay Cristobal's name in the ring. I always remember him to be tough. Basically, my rule is anyone who stands up to Jawo deserves to be considered* ;D

Bay had a solid amateur background, having been tutored/schooled by Arturo Valenzona, who was a tough player in his day and a tough coach as well, and that toughness rubbed off on the teams he coached, FEU, APCOR, Tanduay, San Sebastian... and Bay carried on that toughness into coaching, where he succeeded as well, having mentored those tough and rugged San Sebastian Stags teams in the 90s...

skywalker
04-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Dennis Abbatuan is another hardcore player whom i believe did very well while playing for Tanduay, Sunkist and Shell during the 80's. Pati ang looks pang hardcore talaga. I don't guys if you still remember Romy Ang who played for the Shell Azodrin Bugbusters during their maiden year in 1985. He did showed quality games that year especially during their knockout game against Ginebra for the 2nd finals berth. In that particular game, he nearly figure in a fight with Sonny Jaworski. I still have that photo (Sports Weekly Magazine) wherein he and Jawo enagaed in a not so lovely eye to eye contact.

MonL
04-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Dennis Abbatuan is another hardcore player whom i believe did very well while playing for Tanduay, Sunkist and Shell during the 80's.

Abbatuan did a supernova performance one time when he made 52 points in one game... he never had another game close to that afterwards...

Mateen Cleaves
04-18-2006, 07:07 PM
The second instance was in the SEA Games hosted in Manila in the early eighties, when he was with the RP Team. They played Malaysia in one game, and a brawl ensued, with almost all the RP players including JB on court for a few moments of mayhem. Most vivid in my mind though was Ed Cordero soaring high for a flying kick into a bunch of Malaysian players. Sapol! I think he never leapt as high as that before. I saw it on tv and it was caught on camera by Sports weekly....

This was the one with Itoy Esguerra, right? ;D

MonL
04-19-2006, 07:16 AM
This was the one with Itoy Esguerra, right?* ;D

Ang promotor. Yes. ;D I recall that he was also at one time or another on the RP Training Team/ABC National Team . He wasn't as prolific as he was with Letran, though, as he did not have Ed Baldomero as his spear carrier then.

bchoter
04-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Dennis Abbatuan is another hardcore player whom i believe did very well while playing for Tanduay, Sunkist and Shell during the 80's.

Abbatuan did a supernova performance one time when he made 52 points in one game... he never had another game close to that afterwards...
I'm not really sure but are those 52 points the highest points scored by a rookie? Was it for Countryfair hotdogs?

easter
04-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Basically, my rule is anyone who stands up to Jawo deserves to be considered ;D

Then I think Fritz Gaston (Ateneo/U-tex) should be mentioned as well. In the 1982 (or 1980?) Finals with Toyota, which featured what is considered the greatest PBA game ever, the young Fritz Gaston was a thorn on Jawo's side all series long.

But when it comes to hardcore this partnership takes the cake... Relosa-Villamin Tandem (The Bruise Brothers) . You cannot get any more hardcore than these two. Basta sila kalaban mo during their time at Alaska, ang sakit ng katawan mo pagkatapos. :D

MonL
04-20-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm not really sure but are those 52 points the highest points scored by a rookie? Was it for Countryfair hotdogs?

I'm not sure if he was a rookie when he did those numbers... do you still remember Nazar Batoon? He made a splash in the amateurs and played for the Hotdogs too... his shot was described as a "rekobekok shot," whatever that meant..... :D

pio_valenz
04-20-2006, 07:43 PM

ESQ Marketing was a Joe Lipa-coached team which defeated the mighty Lagerlite squad bannered by future San Miguel pros Alfie Almario, Romy Lopez, Jeffrey Graves, etc.

I think ESQ carried the name of Hope Cigarettes when they achieved that monumental upset over Lagerlite. This was Joe Lipa's first of many great victories with an underdog team.

OT: Based on the criteria posted by the thread starter, then I guess Jireh Ibanez qualifies. He entered UP as an engineering freshman straight out of some high school in Mindoro with no plans of becoming a UP Maroon. But he joined the Engineering team where he starred as a freshman, and caught the eye of UP coach Ryan Gregorio. Six years later, he's now playing in his third PBL season, where he's now a part-time starter. Right now he's even seeing more playing time than Toti Almeda, who came from a high school basketball powerhouse (San Beda) and who had better stats than Jireh during their UP playing days.

It's doubtful if he'll ever make it to the PBA, but he's still come a long way considering he initially had no plans of being a varsity player in the first place.

Among former PBA players, there was also Jay Ramirez of Shell, and Vidal Labrada and Montoy Singson of Sta. Lucia, who all earned their spurs playing in the Visayan commercial leagues before making the jump to the PBA.

Speaking of rugged players, whatever happened to Jay Mendoza? Where did he play college ball?

LION
04-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Jay Mendoza played for Mapua. Rugged player.

Joescoundrel
06-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Saan na 'yung player ng Letran dati na si Melegrito? Ka-batch niya yata si PJ Walsham nung Squires pa silang dalawa.

toti_mendiola
06-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Saan na 'yung player ng Letran dati na si Melegrito? Ka-batch niya yata si PJ Walsham nung Squires pa silang dalawa.

Joe, Melegrito is in the line up of the Letran Knights.

toti_mendiola
06-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Tulo Mendoza of FEU, though he only managed to play briefly at the PBA with Talk n Text.
He was a covered court legend in Fairview and Lagro during the 90's, same decade that we played with the likes of Marlon Legaspi, Dexter Racho,Dandan Corsiga, Pablo brothers, Camaso, Gamboa brothers and Cuan of DLSU. But Mendoza was a cut above the rest, he was simply unstoppable, no "pangugulang, tira, pananakot" could stop Mendoza. Mas maraming sahod , bagsak at sapak* na inabot to kesa sa commercial ni Dwayne Wade. Tulo Mendoza singlehandedly carried the Argate's Pride Basketball team to 2 championships for two consecutive season tournament down North. Idol.

Edited to Add:
Add Arnie Caņosa also of FEU to the list of the Dekada 90 hardc0re players of the covered courts of Fairview and Lagro.

pio_valenz
06-06-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm almost afraid to ask how he got the nickname "Tulo". This is Robin Mendoza we're talking about, right?

AnthonyServinio
06-06-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm almost afraid to ask how he got the nickname "Tulo". This is Robin Mendoza we're talking about, right?
Eh yung Robin nga ang layo talaga sa totoong pangalan niya -- Anastacio!

Anyway, Robin gave a good account of himself in his recent stint with Team Cagayan de Oro of the Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association (MVBA) earlier this year.

LION
06-07-2006, 09:16 AM
^ Magkamag-anak ba si Dennis Abatuan at Robin Mendoza?

bchoter
06-07-2006, 10:20 AM
^ Robin Mendoza is part of the FEU tradition of heady and scoring PGs who were ushered by the best of them, Johny A. Robin was among the best players in his batch and, arguably, the best PG in the UAAP at one point. I hope he gets another crack at a PBA slot. If Celino got a call from Red Bull I hope other squads take a chance at Mendoza before age catches up with him

sadoygidi
07-21-2006, 08:46 AM

He was on at least one of those very strong teams under the Herdis Group of Marcos golfing buddy Herminio Disini..Those were potent teams, with APCOR once winning the MICAA crown at the expense of the YCO Painters, then an amateur basketball icon.. That champion team then had Lazaro, Bay Cristobal, Padim Israel.....*

APCOR then had Mon Cruz, Bay Cristobal, Rey Lazaro, Padim Israel and Rod Pasco as their 1st five. Their team manager was the late NBI Director Nonoy Toledo. Later additions to the team were Yoyoy Villamin (real nickname: Pidiong), Terry and Marte Saldaņa.

I'm not sure if it was at the expense of the YCO Painters. I think it was against Tefilin (tama ba?) who then had Hector Calma, Ray Obias, Kenneth Yap (or Tan?) and 2 more guys whose names escape me at the moment.

From the APCOR batch, coach Turo Valenzona's workhorse [thus could merit "hardcore" tag] was Rod Pasco. He played practically all 5 positions for APCOR. Before Villamin came on board, he mostly played 5 or 4. Before Marte Saldaņa came on board, he used to spell either Mon Cruz or Bay Cristobal at the 1/2 position.

bluebruiser90
07-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Jay Mendoza played for Mapua. Rugged player.

Jay Mendoza or Topak to his former Mapua teamates is probably the only player with the distinction of getting into a fist fight in all the major leagues he played in (NCAA, PBL and PBA).

bluebruiser90
07-21-2006, 09:11 AM

I think ESQ carried the name of Hope Cigarettes when they achieved that monumental upset over Lagerlite. This was Joe Lipa's first of many great victories with an underdog team.

The team was still named ESQ when they defeated the Derek Pumaren coached unoffcial RP farm team Lagerlite in the PABL.* Lagerlite had Dindo Pumaren, Alan Caidic, Jerry Codinera and most of the bench of the NC squad playing in the PBA as a guest team.* ESQ was bannered by Ronnie Magsanoc, Eric Altamirano, Glenn Capacio, Dondon Ampalayo, Ricky Cui and Harmon Codinera.* *

bluebruiser90
07-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Isa pang trip kong hardcore player si Egay Billones, limot ko lang kung MLQU 'yung school niya dati, wala na ngang takot ang talino pang maglaro. Alala ko dati sa MUCAA ('yun nga bang liga ng MLQ...?) unstoppable siya, could get the ball to anyone he wanted, get to any spot on the court he wanted, and was never a selfish player, talagang bagay maging pointguard. Kaya din siguro kahit loaded na sa gwardiya 'yung 2001 SEABA Team ni Louie Alas kinuha pa rin siya. Biruin mong may Choo Serrano, Ibet Demape at Joel Co ka na nga kumuha ka pa rin ng Egay Billones? And Egay took major minutes on that team.

Egay played for Las Pinas College and would terrorize the playground circuits in the Alabang/Las Pinas/Muntinglupa in the off-season.*

What I remember about him in that SEA Games was his famous back flips.* Talk about athletic.

My favorite hardcore player should be Aris Franco who played for Shell as a rookie at the age of 28(?)

Probably closer to 31. He was a late bloomer in the sport having been a track and field athlete (high jump, like his father who was an Asian Games silver medalist, 1951 New Delhi or 1954 Manila or both) before making his mark with Philips Sardines.

bluebruiser90
07-21-2006, 10:16 AM

Asiong Madamba, the legend of the Bracken courts in Project 4. I played against him in the late '80's during those summer basketball tournaments in Bracken and he was just as street creed hoops as you could get. Having a lyrical name also helped to spread the gospel.

Cubao and I had a discussion in anoher forum about Madamba and his aerial exploits vs. another high flyer from Project 4, Jerome Cueto.* Never saw them play against each other but having played with Jerome too, I will have to agree with Cubao's observation that although Cueto could really sky, Asiong had the more hang time.* Saw Asiong once do a baseline drive taking off from the left side, double pumped fake a pass (and a slight love tap ont he head of two defenders) and glide to the other side for a reverse flick.

Joescoundrel
08-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Bruiser, welcome to gameface.ph.

Now then, when are you coming back?

joelex
08-13-2006, 04:20 AM
former PSBA jaguar Romy Zagala is one of those players who probably will not shine in the pro level or even make it, what with his no-show in the previous PBA draft (this even if he was scouted by one PBA team and asked him to just apply so he could become a free agent and be signed up), thus making him ineligible to be drafted. Tearing up Metro Manila's finest underground leagues, saw him once run rings around some PBL / PBA players in a gym in Binondo, where i believed chinese businessmen formed teams and put money on the line.This guy is just content with the street game rather than in the PBA's bright lights. If SLAM! would cover RP balll, he'd be one of Manila's streetball legends. :)

joelex
12-12-2006, 05:20 AM
meron isang nagngangalang roel asay na kinakatakutan sa mga laron barangay sa San Juan.
dati daw player ng PLP eagles sa NAASCU at nag mythical five.

bluebruiser90
12-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Roel Asay played for UST in the UAAP a couple of years back as a Masteral student. He completed his undergrad at the Ateneo De Naga. He is also popular in the ABL with his Ateneo provincial background allowing him to play in the alumni league.

He is a long 6'3" with good skills and should be able to crack a PBL line-up with his talent.

skywalker
12-12-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm not sure if it was at the expense of the YCO Painters.* I think it was against Tefilin (tama ba?) who then had Hector Calma, Ray Obias, Kenneth Yap (or Tan?) and 2 more guys whose names escape me at the moment.

It was Solid Mills not Tefilin.

pablohoney36
12-13-2006, 01:20 AM
when i hear the word HARDCORE players, the following comes up in my mind:
Rey Lazaro
Rudy Distrito
Ricky Relosa and Yoyoy Villamin (the Bruise Brothers)
Onchie Dela Cruz

im still trying to remember the names of some players in the PRESTO-SHELL RIMULA-TANDUAY/PUREFOODS days...
i know im missing someone here... ;D

yungha
12-13-2006, 10:34 AM
im still trying to remember the names of some players in the PRESTO-SHELL RIMULA-TANDUAY/PUREFOODS days...

vic "rambo" sanchez perhaps

MonL
12-13-2006, 10:49 AM

vic "rambo" sanchez perhaps

Arnie Tuadles (R.I.P.)?

fujima04
12-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Rey Lazaro
Rudy Distrito
Onchie Dela Cruz

Sama mo na si Rey Cuenco (RIP) who played for Anejo and Shell...pati na rin si Dante Gonzalgo.

dunkerslam
12-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Rey Lazaro
Rudy Distrito
Onchie Dela Cruz

Sama mo na si Rey Cuenco (RIP) who played for Anejo and Shell...pati na rin si Dante Gonzalgo.

Is Rudy Distrito still in jail in the USA for murder? I heard it's Jaworski's fault why the distroyer stabbed the guy........Jawo told him "RUDY, THIS IS YOU!! SAKSAK LANG. SAKSAK KA NG SAKSAK!!" So, that's exactly what he did. Stabbed and killed the boy friend of his ex wife!

toti_mendiola
12-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Malamang sinasaksak na rin si Rudy ngayan sa county jail ng mga matagal na dun. Butas siya ngayon.

dunkerslam
12-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Malamang sinasaksak na rin si Rudy ngayan sa county jail ng mga matagal na dun. Butas siya ngayon.

Sana..buti nga sa kanya. HE WAS THE DIRTIEST PLAYER EVER!!! Pero ngets yun. baka ayaw ng mga bakla dun

pablohoney36
12-16-2006, 04:51 AM
Rey Lazaro
Rudy Distrito
Onchie Dela Cruz

in remember REY CUENCO... siya yung nambatok sa referee di ba? and when he and the rest of the team guested on i think sa tell the people, he said kinalabit niya lang daw sa ulo, hindi niya binatukan... ;D

well, may he rest in peace... it was a liver problem that did him in right?
yap... he's not that hardcore but he does the dirty job

pablohoney36
12-16-2006, 04:54 AM
rambo sanchez? wow... tagal ko na hindi naririnig name niya hehehehe thanks. pangalan pa lang, patayan na!!! RAMBO ba naman ;D

arnie tuadles... did he play for shell? or maybe that was his brother calvin... hindi ko na maalala kung sino yung nakipagsuntukan sa import ba yun, at habang inaawat ng mga officials yung mga players, he came out of nowhere and did a flying kick.... hahaha

MonL
12-16-2006, 11:27 PM
rambo sanchez? wow... tagal ko na hindi naririnig name niya hehehehe thanks. pangalan pa lang, patayan na!!! RAMBO ba naman ;D

arnie tuadles... did he play for shell? or maybe that was his brother calvin... hindi ko na maalala kung sino yung nakipagsuntukan sa import ba yun, at habang inaawat ng mga officials yung mga players, he came out of nowhere and did a flying kick.... hahaha

Yes, he did play for Shell, and he broke Leo Isaac's forearm with a karate chop in their finals series with Anejo, the year Benjie Paras became the PBA's first ever Rookie of the Year/MVP, IIRC..

Kid Cubao
12-17-2006, 11:03 AM
vic "rambo" sanchez is now coaching in a college team competing in NCRAA.

chocoks77
12-17-2006, 11:17 AM
E si Totoy Marquez?

dunkerslam
12-17-2006, 03:05 PM
E si Totoy Marquez?

Magaling yun! lakas dumakdak! payat na mga 6'2. half brother ni Joey at Melanie. Magaling din mag ingles. hehehehe ;D

billabong
01-14-2007, 09:53 AM
dennis daa, jp alcaraz of las pinas huskies formerly of usjr baby jaguars here in cebu city.. they were teammates in highschool ball and got the chance to strut their wares in manila. I remember alcaraz played the 3 spot b4 but now plays the point for toyota otis sparks. Joel Co, Bruce the Juice Dacia, Gilbert Demape, JR Quinahan, Ron "pyanga" Bucao, Reed Juntilla and Neil Raneses are also pure homegrown Cebuanos..

joelex
02-16-2007, 07:01 PM
hopefully gamefacers know about a player with PBA level skills who is not even in the PBL nor played in a big school: ronnie mattias. adamson moved heaven and earth to recruit this guy out of the Tolentino program in UM but sadly he had to serve 2 years residency becasue he played in commecrial leagues already which he turned down. saw him school the likes of lordy tugade, kiko adriano, jerwin gaco, etc. i know for a fact that PBL teams are drooling over this guy but sadly nothing becomes finalized. can be compared to chito jaime, who has been well known in the basketbal circles for the longest time but only reached the PBL recently.

joelex
05-29-2007, 02:43 AM
orlando daroya.......AU
rodel mallari..............NBC
jimboy robillos...........NBC
ryan regalado..........UM
pol santiago.........lyceum
jeff de guzman......NEU
nico pupos..........ACSAT
alain musni..........EAC
jeff khalili...........PUP

Sam Miguel
06-01-2007, 01:00 PM
orlando daroya.......AU
rodel mallari..............NBC
jimboy robillos...........NBC
ryan regalado..........UM
pol santiago.........lyceum
jeff de guzman......NEU
alain musni..........EAC
jeff khalili...........PUP

If he ever cracks a PBL lineup you can add St Francis's LEOMER LOSENTES to this list, as well as Arellano's LEE BOLIVER.

MVBA
06-01-2007, 01:12 PM

* * *Nico Pupos is currently seeing action for his hometown Holcim Pryce Pharma-MisOr in the ongoing 2007 MVBA First Conference.

Wang-Bu
06-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Sina ROMMEL GALVEZ na matagal ng kakampi ng Chito Jaime mula pa nung Bataan days nila pati si ALFIE MARTINEZ na shooter ng Arellano ay dalawang hardcore players na sana naman makahanap ng masasalihang koponan sa PBL. Si Galvez mukhang mas malaking pagasa gawa ng siya'y 6'5" at maliksing kumilos, hindi lang siya pang 4/5.

joelex
07-07-2007, 01:43 AM
reynel hugnatan

john ferriols

dale singson (clearly better than some starting PG's like miranda, baguon, etc)

eddie laure

joelex
10-23-2007, 02:35 AM
hopefully gamefacers know about a player with PBA level skills who is not even in the PBL nor played in a big school: ronnie mattias. adamson moved heaven and earth to recruit this guy out of the Tolentino program in UM but sadly he had to serve 2 years residency becasue he played in commecrial leagues already which he turned down. saw him school the likes of lordy tugade, kiko adriano, jerwin gaco, etc. i know for a fact that PBL teams are drooling over this guy but sadly nothing becomes finalized. can be compared to chito jaime, who has been well known in the basketbal circles for the longest time but only reached the PBL recently.

has he arrived? 27-10-3, above 50% FG on PBL opening game...

irateluvmachine
10-24-2007, 03:32 PM
^we'll see. if matias could average something like 15+ ppg and 8+ rpg, then he certainly has arrived...

is jeff de guzman from NEU the same ex-red cub/blue eagle who's currently in the pharex lineup?

Kid Cubao
10-24-2007, 04:31 PM
^^ no, they're different people. jeff de guzman of ateneo is the one at pharex.

joelex
01-28-2008, 12:18 AM
im sure little is heard about a certain Jeff Khalili. But this kid out of PUP in the NCRAA / UCAA is as legit as anyone in the bigger college leagues. At 6-4, he can easily play the 2-3-4 spots with ease. Once torched an NCAA team (Baste i think) for 38 points in a NIKE summer league game. Game (and looks) can be compared to La Salle's David Webb and Rico Maierhoffer. San Mig Coffee and head coach Koy Banal was actively pursuing this under the radar guy the past off season and actually practiced with the team but to the management's surprise the kid quit practicing with the team at a time when he was already assured of a spot in the lineup.

NU UE and FEU were all interested for his services but unclear complications regarding his UAAP eligibility arose. Like Ronnie Matias and Chito Jaime, im optimistic that this kid will shine if he gets the breaks.

JonarSabilano
01-28-2008, 09:26 AM
^ That's something new. I've heard of this PUP stalwart before, but he was being pegged at 6'9". But at 6'4" and playing small forward, he could have been a good option for the San Mig franchise.

Kid Cubao
01-28-2008, 10:12 AM
jeff khalili was with PUP when they played ateneo in the nike summer league last year. stands at most 6'6, but jumps like a waterbug. quick anticipation, but his lean frame was a pushover against the likes of ford and rabeh. great dunker, probably can match hops with NBA flyers rudy gay and tyrus thomas, kaso walang outside game at wala ring back to the basket moves. for that reason, khasim mirza pa rin ako because of his better all around game.

joelex
02-25-2008, 12:58 AM
There's this guy from Rizal Tech University, CATACUTAN, forgot the first name though. He wasnt in the schools lineup this past NCRAA season because of some internal conflict or so I was told, but is scheduled to be back next season.

He plays either guard postion, stands somewhere around 5-8 or 9, but Im sure this kid will be big once he hits mainstream. Jason Castro could not operate efficiently against his defense when I saw them clash in a game in Manila very recently. The kid definitely caught my eye. Aside from his defense, he has very good ballhandling skills, great combination of outside shooting, drive, and mid range game. Most importantly, plays very intense basketball which will never be a negative for any coach. He singlehandedly led his team to victory against the PCU team of Dualan and led by RP team mainstays Castro and Beau Belga. To all UAAP scouts, do get a hold of this guy. Not too sure about his age though, but looks young and heard he has played only a season of college ball.

mighty_lion
02-25-2008, 03:16 AM
^ Sa apelyedo palang eh, naninindak na. ;D

joelex
03-06-2008, 06:05 AM
nicho pupos..........ACSAT

Nicho Pupos just cracked the roster of Mail n More in the PBL. He topscored in the game against, well the rp youth squad, with 17 points. Im sure he can deliver with more playing time.

animo_mapuan
03-22-2008, 01:42 PM
ikw !! ;D